Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2013-01-14 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4574064

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Subject: RE: kenail's Group - OPEN
Don't really want to do a long-distance diagnosis, but sounds like "Runner's Knee" -- here's a good summary on it:

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/patellofemoral-pain-syndrome-run...

I'm a convert to strength training -- I've been on a regular regimen since my IM, and I'm pleased with the effects. I started with this fairly straightforward set of exercises. I've since modified it with some functional strength routines and more core work, but it was a good starter for me.

http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/Mark_Allen_s_12_Best_Stren...

If you're going to do strength work, now's the time, while our mileage tends to be lower and the weather outside isn't as good. And if you want to keep it simple and concentrate on the back, you can't go wrong with good old-fashioned pushups and chinups!

Ken

Plummers86 - 2013-01-11 1:39 PM

Thanks Ken,

Thankyou very much for accepting me into this group, of which this group looks to be coming together as a very experienced, diverse group.  Just think what we'll be like at the end!

I've got to say I was a little unsure about doing this myself but looking at some of the training plans out there, time is not one of the aspects i percieve to be an issue, providing i maintain the training.  Two area's i would like to work on would be my knee and back muscles.  My  right Knee, on the outside below kneecap, seems to be giving me issues on longer road runs.  My back just seems to be weak, not actually painful during the training but afterwards.  Being new to this i'm unsure if it is actually weakness, technique or warm ups/downs.

My weght I'd aspire towards 140 but also wonder could I strength train while also out pounding/riding/swimming.  With 9 months to go I thought it possible without over loading myself.  

2013-01-14 9:14 AM
in reply to: #4574156

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
All good stuff here. I'm glad to see you're being patient and working towards your goals in a systematic fashion. That develops consistency, which is one of the real keys to success in training -- keep up the good work!

Ken

neuronet - 2013-01-11 2:28 PM

Did a "long" run for me last night: 17 minutes of jogging and 13 minutes of walking. I know this isn't a lot, but for me this is the most I've jogged since my bike accident.

Exciting for me, as I am near my short-term goal (at least for the run). When I hit this goal, this will trigger a sprint training program (once I can jog 20, swim 20, and bike 40 minutes (individually, not all together), I start the sprint program: this is all Phase One of my evil plan to do a half iron in two years.

Good news is no back pain, and negligible achilles pain! This is very encouraging. Must be sure to stretch, do calf raises, do core exercises go keep back and achilles in check. Scheduled day off, so must be sure to be diligent, so easy to do no stretching or anything on my day off.

So far so good. Smile

Off today, but plan to bike on roller tomorrow (11 minutes, as when I went from 10 to 15 my achilles said "Hey screw you" the next day, so will increment even more slowly...grr), and 14 minute swim on Sunday.

My sleep goal met too: went to bed at 1130 last night, which was my goal time! Getting closer to my 11pm goal time. Tonight goal is 1125. Let's go baby, inching backwards to being a responsible adult! Do I want my 2 year old daughter's laughter at 715 am to bring me joy or tiredness-induced impatience? One key is to do nothing stressful for at least an hour before my scheduled bed time. No doing stuff for work past 1025 tonight.

2013-01-14 9:15 AM
in reply to: #4574185

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Excellent -- remember, by dropping back a little and then building up again, you'll be able to reap the benefits of the work you've already done!

Ken

charlescriderjr - 2013-01-11 2:44 PM

thanks Ken, first I've heard of periodization - I'll have to figure out a productive way to work this process into my training plan to bridge the next 5 months to get to the 1/2 IM.  Very helpful!
2013-01-14 10:06 AM
in reply to: #4552236

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: kenail's Group - Closed

Daughter sick yesterday (she is 2 and a half), went to ER. She's never been so sick she couldn't even cry. She just sat there like a lump, even with the doctor poking at her. She's on the mend finally

Didn't get to the pool yesterday, unfortunately, but did a light recovery walk/jog last night for like 20 minutes (walking separated by 2 two-minute light jogs), and my calf/core exercises. Hope to have time to go to gym today for a swim, but wife needs time to work too! If not, I will do bike or run again today, gotta do something to not fall off the horse.

Balancing kids, work, and exercise. Never easy. One nice thing about triathlon training: I am usually able to do one of the sports in a day.

Well, time to get back to work.

Edited by neuronet 2013-01-14 10:08 AM
2013-01-14 4:35 PM

New user

Alexandria, MN
I'm interested in what that swimming book has today, I have it in my Amazon list and was thinking about buying it. I just now started thinking about form, before I was just swimming. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
2013-01-14 5:49 PM

Western Isles, Scotland

Great stuff Ken.

I think i may do a months work on the strength training plan that you pasted the link to, maybe combine that with some distance work.  I've found a 20 week IM training program on here which i shall aim to start after my month of conditioning.  With all that planned out i should be in a reasonable state come July, IM in Sept, giving me a wee bit of flexibility in my training plan so that i may do better than just finish the race  

2013-01-15 5:10 AM
in reply to: #4578263

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
The key takeaways from "Swim Speed Secrets" are keep your elbow high, eliminate the "glide" and work on your "feel" for the water. But she does a much better job than I would in explaining it -- give it a try!

Ken

swenso - 2013-01-14 5:35 PM

I'm interested in what that swimming book has today, I have it in my Amazon list and was thinking about buying it. I just now started thinking about form, before I was just swimming. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
2013-01-15 5:16 AM
in reply to: #4578377

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Excellent -- love your attitude. The great basketball coach, John Wooden, had a saying -- "It's not what you do, it's how you do it." As triathletes it's easy to get caught up in the excitement of increasing our distances and doing different races, but lose sight of striving to "thrive, not survive."

I know that I was very excited to do an IM last year and have a solid race. But this year I'm emphasizing shorter races and trying to be more competitive in my AG -- it's hard to explain to some people when they ask "what are you doing this year?"

Having gotten on my soap box, though, I've got lots of respect for everybody who's committed to getting off their butts and taking on a new challenge. What's right for me isn't what's right for them, and vice versa!

Ken

Plummers86 - 2013-01-14 6:49 PM

Great stuff Ken.

I think i may do a months work on the strength training plan that you pasted the link to, maybe combine that with some distance work.  I've found a 20 week IM training program on here which i shall aim to start after my month of conditioning.  With all that planned out i should be in a reasonable state come July, IM in Sept, giving me a wee bit of flexibility in my training plan so that i may do better than just finish the race  

2013-01-15 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4578845

User image

Veteran

kenail - 2013-01-15 5:10 AM The key takeaways from "Swim Speed Secrets" are keep your elbow high, eliminate the "glide" and work on your "feel" for the water. But she does a much better job than I would in explaining it -- give it a try! Ken
swenso - 2013-01-14 5:35 PM I'm interested in what that swimming book has today, I have it in my Amazon list and was thinking about buying it. I just now started thinking about form, before I was just swimming. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

That sums it up. Also, she has lots of specific drills and such in there. I have to go back and plan based on them when I get some free time.

Edited by neuronet 2013-01-15 1:47 PM
2013-01-15 5:25 PM

User image

Shawnee, KS

Ken:

I have two issues for you to address.

The first being VO2max.  This past Sunday I decided to do the LT test as described here on BT. I felt my effort for the 20-min was at my max and finished with nothing left in the tank.  My average HR for this effort was 147 which is what I will be using as my VO2max value.  As a benchmark if I use the age minus 180 it put me at 135. (I know that the age formula is not a good way to go).

So does my number seem appropriate?  Since you have access to my Garmin Connect activites you can take a look at my run from Sunday.

Second, has to do with swimming.

Background: Last summer when I decided I was going to venture in Tri's I decided to get in the pool and start swimming just to start building a base.  These workouts occurred twice a week and were baisically me just swimming freestyle laps for 30-minutes and taking breaks as needed. I did this for about six weeks.  I should note at this point I really wasn't having any issues. I then took a break as our gym closed the pool for cleaning for two weeks then I blew it off for another several weeks at which point I did catch the last OWS session at our nearby lake and did 500m.

Probably a week after that I went back into the pool and after that workout, I got out of the pool and felt very nauseous and light headed...so much so that I had to sit in the lobby for 30-minutes to recover and even after that I had my wife drive us home.  I asked around and searched the web on possible causes. Many of the possible culprets pointed to cold water in the pool affecting my inner ear and my chiropractor mentioning an inner ear issue that many experience as we age.

This episode freaked me out so much I have been avoiding getting back in the pool - until today.

I finally kicked myself in the arse and did my prescribed workout.  This time I used earplugs as one of the suggested ways to help this issue. While at the end I didn't feel as bad as the last time - I did still feel a little out of sorts and a bit nauseous. Some of this could be do to the fact that the salad I ate 2-hours prior wasn't settling well. Was this a bad food choice before a swim workout? Also of note during my swim workouts I drink approx 18-oz of Accelerade.

So, bottom line...

Have you heard of other feeling this way after swim workouts?

Should I cut back on time/length of workout to get my body use to this type of activity?

Here is my swim workout form today.

• Warm-up | 200m
  • Drill set | 6x25 - :10 rest (with fins)
  • Base Intervals | 4x100 - :05 rest
  • Kick set | 4x25 (with fins)
  • Cool Down | 200m
2013-01-16 7:35 AM
in reply to: #4580094

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
A couple of good questions. Let me look into a little and I'll see what I can do to get you some answers.

Ken

Ranski - 2013-01-15 6:25 PM

Ken:

The first being VO2max.  

2013-01-16 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4580094

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Let's discuss the VO2 max/Lactate Threshold question first.

Let's be careful not to confuse the two of these. Your field test was to determine your lactate threshold (LT), which indicates how quickly lactic acid builds up in your muscles -- a fair measure of your maximum sustainable pace. The best way to measure this is with blood tests, but since we're not TDF cyclists, a simple field test like you did is sufficient for our purposes.

VO2 max, on the other hand, is the maximum capacity of an individual's body to transport and use oxygen during exercise. Exercise done at this level is of a much higher intensity, with a commiserate higher heart rate. So let's skip that and talk LT right now, since it's more relevant to your training and heart rate zones.

Is your LT number (147) accurate? Well, it doesn't seem out of line to me. Doing a rough calculation yields a Z1 (extensive endurance) HR or 125-130 bpm, which is entirely reasonable. FWIW, I've been running for years, and my LT is 160, with a Z1 around 135-140. You'll find that almost every training plan out there will put the bulk of your running in this extensive endurance zone. This is where you condition your body and cardiovascular system to the stresses of training and improve your efficiency. Stick with it and over time you'll find that you'll be able to run faster while maintaining the same HR. After a few months, do another test and see if there's been any change.

Swimming...I've never experienced what you describe, so I don't have any suggestions on that. On the practical side of things, I'd try to keep the distance moderate for a while and see how it goes. Nutritionally, salad might not be the best pre-swim meal. If you have to eat, keep it simple and easily digestible. I like applesauce (unsweetened) with a little whey protein and blueberries mixed in -- sounds weird, but it works.

And the Accelerade? Ditch it for a 40-minute workout. Sports drink companies have done a great job convincing us we have to have sports drink every time we lace up our shoes. For a 40-minute workout it's unnecessary calories -- just have water.

Ken

Ranski - 2013-01-15 6:25 PM

Ken:

The first being VO2max.  This past Sunday I decided to do the LT test as described here on BT. I felt my effort for the 20-min was at my max and finished with nothing left in the tank.  My average HR for this effort was 147 which is what I will be using as my VO2max value.  As a benchmark if I use the age minus 180 it put me at 135. (I know that the age formula is not a good way to go).

So does my number seem appropriate?  Since you have access to my Garmin Connect activites you can take a look at my run from Sunday.

Background: Last summer when I decided I was going to venture in Tri's I decided to get in the pool and start swimming just to start building a base.  These workouts occurred twice a week and were baisically me just swimming freestyle laps for 30-minutes and taking breaks as needed. I did this for about six weeks.  I should note at this point I really wasn't having any issues. I then took a break as our gym closed the pool for cleaning for two weeks then I blew it off for another several weeks at which point I did catch the last OWS session at our nearby lake and did 500m.

Probably a week after that I went back into the pool and after that workout, I got out of the pool and felt very nauseous and light headed...so much so that I had to sit in the lobby for 30-minutes to recover and even after that I had my wife drive us home.  I asked around and searched the web on possible causes. Many of the possible culprets pointed to cold water in the pool affecting my inner ear and my chiropractor mentioning an inner ear issue that many experience as we age.

This episode freaked me out so much I have been avoiding getting back in the pool - until today.

I finally kicked myself in the arse and did my prescribed workout.  This time I used earplugs as one of the suggested ways to help this issue. While at the end I didn't feel as bad as the last time - I did still feel a little out of sorts and a bit nauseous. Some of this could be do to the fact that the salad I ate 2-hours prior wasn't settling well. Was this a bad food choice before a swim workout? Also of note during my swim workouts I drink approx 18-oz of Accelerade.

So, bottom line...

Have you heard of other feeling this way after swim workouts?

Should I cut back on time/length of workout to get my body use to this type of activity?

Here is my swim workout form today.

• Warm-up | 200m
  • Drill set | 6x25 - :10 rest (with fins)
  • Base Intervals | 4x100 - :05 rest
  • Kick set | 4x25 (with fins)
  • Cool Down | 200m
2013-01-16 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4581399

User image

Shawnee, KS

kenail - 2013-01-16 1:53 PMLet's discuss the VO2 max/Lactate Threshold question first.Let's be careful not to confuse the two of these. Your field test was to determine your lactate threshold (LT), which indicates how quickly lactic acid builds up in your muscles -- a fair measure of your maximum sustainable pace. The best way to measure this is with blood tests, but since we're not TDF cyclists, a simple field test like you did is sufficient for our purposes. VO2 max, on the other hand, is the maximum capacity of an individual's body to transport and use oxygen during exercise. Exercise done at this level is of a much higher intensity, with a commiserate higher heart rate. So let's skip that and talk LT right now, since it's more relevant to your training and heart rate zones. Is your LT number (147) accurate? Well, it doesn't seem out of line to me. Doing a rough calculation yields a Z1 (extensive endurance) HR or 125-130 bpm, which is entirely reasonable. FWIW, I've been running for years, and my LT is 160, with a Z1 around 135-140. You'll find that almost every training plan out there will put the bulk of your running in this extensive endurance zone. This is where you condition your body and cardiovascular system to the stresses of training and improve your efficiency. Stick with it and over time you'll find that you'll be able to run faster while maintaining the same HR. After a few months, do another test and see if there's been any change.

Thank for clarifying that. Yes, based on my understanding of the LT Test my Avg HR was 147 for the 20-mins. I will update my Garmin with the new data I get from the BT HR Zone Calculator and see how that affects my workouts. Now I just need a warmer day to get out and do the test on the Bike :-)

I'd try to keep the distance moderate for a while and see how it goes. Nutritionally, salad might not be the best pre-swim meal. If you have to eat, keep it simple and easily digestible. I like applesauce (unsweetened) with a little whey protein and blueberries mixed in -- sounds weird, but it works.

I will try your suggestion at Fridays swim workout. I'll cut the distance in half and see how it goes.

And the Accelerade? Ditch it for a 40-minute workout. Sports drink companies have done a great job convincing us we have to have sports drink every time we lace up our shoes. For a 40-minute workout it's unnecessary calories -- just have water.

Will do.

2013-01-16 3:22 PM

Hi Ken,

I wanted to your perspective on brick training.  My 1/2 IM training plan recommends a morning and afternoon workout.  The time I have to train is only in the mornings, so I've been doing both workouts back to back.  Do you see an issue with that?

2013-01-16 4:59 PM

User image

Veteran

Ranski I have had that happen, I'd just lower the intensity and/or duration to a level that doesn't do this, and go from there.

Make sure you aren't swallowing too much water, too. Foot in mouth

2013-01-16 6:42 PM

Ranski - I wonder are you exhaling while under the water?  wonder if maybe you are holding your breath, then exhale/inhale quickly that is similating hyperventalating and causing head rushes and ultimately nausea?

2013-01-16 9:07 PM
in reply to: #4581686

User image

Shawnee, KS

Thanks for sharing that, now I know I'm not the only one.  I will report after Friday to let everyone know if scaling back the length of the workout helped.

neuronet - 2013-01-16 4:59 PM

Ranski I have had that happen, I'd just lower the intensity and/or duration to a level that doesn't do this, and go from there.

2013-01-16 9:10 PM
in reply to: #4581791

User image

Shawnee, KS

I do know that I exhale while under water so I don't think that is it. My other speculation is that the motion of moving my head up to breath is making me a little dizzy.  I breath on my right side only...so I might try breathing every other time on my right side stroke to see if the helps as well.

charlescriderjr - 2013-01-16 6:42 PM Ranski - I wonder are you exhaling while under the water?  wonder if maybe you are holding your breath, then exhale/inhale quickly that is similating hyperventalating and causing head rushes and ultimately nausea?

2013-01-17 5:35 AM
in reply to: #4581530

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
CJ --

Time is the crux of the problem, isn't it? In an ideal world, you'd want to space your workouts out a bit, simply to give your body a little recovery time. That's most important when you're doing higher intensity work, of course. Glancing at your program, it looks like most of your "double up" days consist of a swim then a bike, so probably not too bad.

Here's one other thing to try. There are a lot of shorter swims in the program, I notice (1000-1500 yards, etc.). Jiggle the schedule a bit to combine some of these. For example, rather than doing three shorter swims, do two longer swims during the week. That'll eliminate at least one two-workout day.

I don't know what weeks you're on right now, but let me know if you'd like and perhaps we can figure it out.

One other quick note -- a "brick" workout refers to a pretty specific workout, generally a longish ride followed by an almost immediate run, usually of a shorter duration. The key reason is to get the athlete conditioned to making a smooth transition into the run after getting off the bike. An example might be: 90 min bike, run off the bike for 20 minutes.

Ken

charlescriderjr - 2013-01-16 4:22 PM

Hi Ken,

I wanted to your perspective on brick training.  My 1/2 IM training plan recommends a morning and afternoon workout.  The time I have to train is only in the mornings, so I've been doing both workouts back to back.  Do you see an issue with that?

Edited by kenail 2013-01-17 7:53 AM
2013-01-17 5:36 PM
in reply to: #4581399

User image

Shawnee, KS

kenail - 2013-01-16 1:53 PM Is your LT number (147) accurate? Well, it doesn't seem out of line to me. Doing a rough calculation yields a Z1 (extensive endurance) HR or 125-130 bpm, which is entirely reasonable. FWIW, I've been running for years, and my LT is 160, with a Z1 around 135-140. 

Ken is there a typo in your response above.  When I plug in the 147 into the BT HR Zone Calculator I get Z1 being 97-125 and Z2 being 125-133.  Did you mean to type Z2 instead of Z1?

2013-01-18 7:28 AM
in reply to: #4583409

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
You're correct. I noticed my mistake and went back and edited the post (I think), but you're absolutely correct. My coach uses somewhat different zones. Roughly, her zR = the more common Z1, and her Z1 = Z2 for most -- so I occasionally screw up. ;-)

Ken

Ranski - 2013-01-17 6:36 PM

kenail - 2013-01-16 1:53 PM Is your LT number (147) accurate? Well, it doesn't seem out of line to me. Doing a rough calculation yields a Z1 (extensive endurance) HR or 125-130 bpm, which is entirely reasonable. FWIW, I've been running for years, and my LT is 160, with a Z1 around 135-140. 

Ken is there a typo in your response above.  When I plug in the 147 into the BT HR Zone Calculator I get Z1 being 97-125 and Z2 being 125-133.  Did you mean to type Z2 instead of Z1?

2013-01-18 7:32 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
The group is looking good, folks, and I've been happy to answer the excellent questions that have been posted. If any of you ever want me to check out your training logs for specific issues let me know. And if you don't log your training here, consider it -- it's a great way to look back at what you've done and track your training.

I used the BT logs for many years, but stopped a few years ago when my coach started using Training Peaks -- it just got to be too much of a hassle to log workouts two times! But FWIW I'm happy to share anything about my training schedule or other details -- just ask!

Ken
2013-01-19 5:16 PM

User image

Veteran

Training peaks looks cool I will check it out.

Did a 14 minute swim today, focusing on high elbow catch, and pulling with my lats rather than my delts. It was an amazing difference, felt great. My form had gotten sloppy without me realizing it.

2013-01-19 5:42 PM
in reply to: #4581686

User image

Shawnee, KS

Ken & neuronet

Happy to report that my swim on Friday was better.  I cut the length of training in half for my warm-up, drill set and main interval, but kept my kick set as is.  I am happy to report I wasn't nauseous but I did still feel a bit light headed.  I think I will stick with this length of workout for awhile and really focus on form.

Today was a beautiful day in Kansas City with a sunny sky and temps in the upper 50's - this coincided perfectly with my first transition run day in my training.  I did a 1-hour ride followed by a 10-min run.  The run felt really good and was at my typical running pace with the legs feeling surprisingly well. This is just what I needed to get me out of my swim training funk.

Oh and I signed up for the St. Louis 5i50 (Sprint Course) today. 

Hope everyone is having a good training weekend.

neuronet - 2013-01-16 4:59 PM

2013-01-19 9:15 PM
in reply to: #4586291

User image

Veteran
Good to hear it Ranski! One thing I have noticed about most triathletes that post here, they tend to err on the side of training too much, not too little. I am the opposite these days, and try to drag everyone down to my level
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenail's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 7