BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ontherun's Group -Full, off and running :) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-01-20 9:01 AM
in reply to: #633464

User image

Tiffin, Ohio
Subject: RE: Ontherun's Group -Full, off and running :)
With cold and exercise induced asthma I have to be careful with running outside. I've been ok in the 30s with no wind chill but don't know how much lower I can go before it is a problem. It isn't a good situation since the cardio equipment at my gym is limited to 30 minutes per user. I'm trying to work around that by taking cardio classes (1 hr) before or after a 30min cardio session.

2007-01-20 12:27 PM

Hi all

I've been pretty bad at posting comments here ... I am still getting used to this platform.

1/ Thank you for the support and comments - this is more more nergizing to know that so many people with various levels of fitness are striving towards challenging goals

2/ I have found a way to compensate for my inability to leave work early or take workout breaks: The treadputer !!! I read a post from Dr Evil 0818 where about her treadmill stand, which lead me to do some reseach on the net, to find many posts and articles in relationship to the Mayo clinic 10 years research
http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2005-rst/2836.html

So i hope to have the setup ready at home by the end of the month ... and if works well, I might put it in my center's budget for all my team to have that in the office.

3/ When I do a spin class, do I add the minutes in the biking or only in the new exercice category

4/ Since I cannot exercice as much as I want to during the week, can I compensate and overdo it on the weekend and forget about the 10% rule ?

5/ Thank you all and keep on TRI ing

Desty
2007-01-21 12:53 PM

User image

Regular
Florence, Arizona
Silver member
I kinda "cheat"...I put my spinning classes under the bike part so I can see the hours increase there. I usually put 8-10 miles for distance depending on my effort that day...

Running in the snow...I will run outside up to the max of -25 celsius...I have a safe place to run which is usually clear of ice. I need the fresh air - I get very grouchy if I train indoors too long...which is what's happening to me now because it's been -52 celsius at times with the wind chill factor added in. January is a bad time of year here

2007-01-21 2:40 PM

User image

I never did give my training progress. Everything is going good so far. Except fo the swim portion of the trainig. I prefer OWS, and I hate pools. I am at the Mercy of the Y for pool time. Also they all need a lesson on pool ed. I do need to step it up on that. Everything else is going good. The only complaint my wife and I have is that I get up daily @ 5:30 am to go to the Y.
2007-01-22 1:54 PM

User image

Tiffin, Ohio
I put spinning under spinning not under biking because I want my bike mileage to be accurate.
As long as you don't put it in both places, I think it is up to each person as to how they want to count it.
2007-01-22 2:56 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

my turn. as for the question about spinning vs bike, it realy is a matter of preference. The only reason one would not combine the two is if you wished to keep your bike numbers for milage on equipment. this could also be done by the equipment tracker. I combine my drainer and bike times, as they are one in the same to me at the end of the day. The only thing the drainer or spin bikes do that outside biking dose not is no costing.

As for over loading on the weekends to make up, DON'T! You have a greater risk to injury by doing so. I have read many posts and articles by pros and medical personel reguarding the matter. The bottom line is, if you miss the workout, it is gone, forget about it and get right back on track again. I know it is hard to make tiime for the workouts. I miss more than a few. I will take a 30 minute workout over none anyday. The best suggestion I have is choose a program that fit from BT, import it if you can and make a hard copy. I keep the hard copy handy so I can see it at a glace for reference each night. That way I can plan what is comming the next day without getting sucked into the computer for the entire evening

2007-01-22 4:56 PM

User image

Since The season is coming up is a few months. I ahve been looking ahead and planning the one I want to participate in. How much is to much when it comes to races? I don't mean like every week end. But like one a month, two, or should there be more of a gap between them.

Thanks
2007-01-22 6:12 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

how much racing is a good question. I have read of a person, who I believe was a clysdale, who would race in a sprint or olymipic tri every week of the season. He was able to do this by only doing light workouts durring the week and racing on the weekends.

I myself try to do at least 3 tris per season and 2 or three road races to balance things out. My personal goal is to race about every 2 mos. Sometimes this ends up closer to every 6 weeks and longer time off durring the winter. The bottom line depends on a couple of things.

First, what is the distance being raced. At this point I think you could handle a sprint distance race anywhere from once a month to possibly every two weeks with a couple extra days off between races. If somehow you were thinking of going into Oly distance I would think about every 6 weeks for you at this time. More than that would not allow your body to adapt to the increased distances and stresses involved.

A second issue is what type of race it is A,B or C. A races happen about once or twice a season. For Pro distance racers it would be IM Kona. For us it is very individual. A B race would be a tune up race. You would not go full speed, but would be looking to fine tune things like transition set up and race pace. These are good races to step back just a little and anazlize how things are going and what you could do different. A C race is mostly just for fun. Get out, be social, meet new friends. No PR is even on the radar, heck finishing could even be optional. So be honest with yourself, are you going to want to try and win each race, finsih each race, or have lots of fun trying.

A third issue, and of great importance to me is $$. The longer the distance the more $$$ they tend to cost. I have done free fun runs, and I am paying close to $200 for my 1/2 IM this year. IM races go above $400. So unless you have very deep pockets or a suger daddy...

Personal, if I had the time and money, I would love to race every month at some level, just to test myself or go for PR's. For now I work with what I can with my family schedual and financial restrants.

Hope this helped and have fun racing.

2007-01-22 6:47 PM

User image

Thanks for your answer. I do know I plan on doing at least three 5k's this summer and one 10K, possably a 1/2 mary in Oc t not sure yet we shall see about that. They are all local which keeps coast down. So far my only tri is in april, I may wait till later this season to do anotherone, just to make sure I am comfortable swimming, plus the little lady doesn't want me to blow all my Vacation time on tri's this year.
2007-01-22 11:10 PM

Just checking in. I am going out of town for 5 days, and will check back in on Sunday. Everyone have a good week training. Luckily two of the people traveling with me are training for the Boston marathon, so I anticipate some really good long runs.

Talk soon.
2007-01-23 10:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
hey there everyone. sounds like everyone is really getting gear-up for the incoming season and it looks like everyone is training well, this group has really helped me stay on track.

i do have two questions: 1) CADENCE? Should I be concerned about this or working on it at this time? I read an article on here and just got me curious.
2) Bricks? How many minutes since I'm just starting out?

CC crazychristian - where are you from? what 1/2 marathon are you doing in Oct.?

Thanks,
Amy

2007-01-23 10:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Breezy I like your photo, looks like a mountainous backdrop.

Does anyone else have photos on here? I'm a picture nut so I have a ton in my photo album on here, I just like to put a face to a name.
2007-01-23 2:35 PM

User image

Amy, I am from PA the 1/2 mary is in Warren PA. It is the SuperKwik Challenge Half Marathon on Oct 13th. I am not sure about running it this year, but I will say I am 80% sure though.
2007-01-23 3:27 PM

User image

Tiffin, Ohio
Thanks Amy.
My profile pic was taken at the top of a fire tower on one of the highest points of the Catskills in NY. There is a little brown line to the left of my face which is the trail wayyyy down below.
2007-01-23 4:31 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Amy, in regards to cadance, it is something to be aware of in all 3 sport. I am not sure which you were thinking so I will address all 3.

Swim- It is all about efficency in the water. The more ground you can cover in the least effort the better. If you could just jump and coast the whole distance it would be awsome, but not as much fun As triatletes, we want to conserve energy. The less times you have to move your arms through the water the better. I was once told that your energy output has to be cubed to double your speed. Not a good trade off in effort. Being efficent and keeping your heart rate down with as few strokes as possible is a big key.

Bike- There are a few schools of thought on cycling. Most triathlets go around 90-100 RPM on there bike. Norman Stadler makes that idea go away. He loves the big gears and hammering away. Pure cyclists like Lance go 100-120 and up for sprints, but they do not have to get off the bike to run. Most convetional wisdom says you should average the 90-100 RPM range, and when getting close to transition back down a gear and spin with less effort to get the blood back into your legs a little to get ready for the run.

Run- I  can not remember for sure about the number of foot strikes in running. For some reason 45 left foot strikes per minute rings a bell. Depending on the school of running this dose differ. I have taken a few pages from the Chi Running philosophy. In short, a runner makes sure not to over extend the forward motion of the foot so it strikes the ground under, not ahead of the runner. One of the best ways to achive this is quick feet.

I hope this answers your questions on cadence.

Bricks. Very useful. I know one BTer whose coach told him to run for 10 minutes after every ride. This helped him keep good running legs after the bike. I tend to try for a brick about every two weeks if not more. A lot depends on what training program you are on and time. I would like to do more, but time is a big enemy of mine, and my overall goal is weight loss/ maintanance, so I tend to make sure I get a good cardio in.

The best thing you can do is follow which ever training program you choose. BT has tons for free and that is how I started. The begginer sprint programs dose not stress bricks and that is ok for the first few tris.

A side benifit of bricks is to workout the timing and layout of your equipment for a transition. The first time you enter transition will be a very different experience. It is hecktick, gear is eveywhere, and you do not want to miss anything. So do not be affraid to practice the transition part of the tris as you do your bricks.

Good luck to all.

2007-01-23 4:31 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Amy, in regards to cadance, it is something to be aware of in all 3 sport. I am not sure which you were thinking so I will address all 3.

Swim- It is all about efficency in the water. The more ground you can cover in the least effort the better. If you could just jump and coast the whole distance it would be awsome, but not as much fun As triatletes, we want to conserve energy. The less times you have to move your arms through the water the better. I was once told that your energy output has to be cubed to double your speed. Not a good trade off in effort. Being efficent and keeping your heart rate down with as few strokes as possible is a big key.

Bike- There are a few schools of thought on cycling. Most triathlets go around 90-100 RPM on there bike. Norman Stadler makes that idea go away. He loves the big gears and hammering away. Pure cyclists like Lance go 100-120 and up for sprints, but they do not have to get off the bike to run. Most convetional wisdom says you should average the 90-100 RPM range, and when getting close to transition back down a gear and spin with less effort to get the blood back into your legs a little to get ready for the run.

Run- I  can not remember for sure about the number of foot strikes in running. For some reason 45 left foot strikes per minute rings a bell. Depending on the school of running this dose differ. I have taken a few pages from the Chi Running philosophy. In short, a runner makes sure not to over extend the forward motion of the foot so it strikes the ground under, not ahead of the runner. One of the best ways to achive this is quick feet.

I hope this answers your questions on cadence.

Bricks. Very useful. I know one BTer whose coach told him to run for 10 minutes after every ride. This helped him keep good running legs after the bike. I tend to try for a brick about every two weeks if not more. A lot depends on what training program you are on and time. I would like to do more, but time is a big enemy of mine, and my overall goal is weight loss/ maintanance, so I tend to make sure I get a good cardio in.

The best thing you can do is follow which ever training program you choose. BT has tons for free and that is how I started. The begginer sprint programs dose not stress bricks and that is ok for the first few tris.

A side benifit of bricks is to workout the timing and layout of your equipment for a transition. The first time you enter transition will be a very different experience. It is hecktick, gear is eveywhere, and you do not want to miss anything. So do not be affraid to practice the transition part of the tris as you do your bricks.

Good luck to all.

2007-01-24 6:55 PM

User image

Tiffin, Ohio
Hey Joe!
Thanks in part to your swimming advice, I am happy to announce that I have graduated from the "can barely swim" category! I still have a lot of work to do but I no longer have issues with breathing during my front crawl!
2007-01-24 7:16 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

I am so glad you are making progress with your swimming!!

Now, just to add a rinkle to everyone. If you are feeling comfortable in your ablilty to swim lengths in the pool, try to breath on both sides. Bilateral breathing will be very helpful in a race situation. First it allows you to avoid excess waves/splash from other competitors in certian situations. Also, as your heart rate goes up you can add a breath as needed on either side to help out. When I am swimming will I tend to breath about every 7th time my hand, left or right, hits the water. By breathing on the odd stroke, you can develope a well ballanced bilatteral breathing technique. Also, being able to take breaths less often without gasping allows your body to stay more steamlined, meaning once again, less work.

Please only try adding this once you feel like you are no longer drowning doing the crawl stoke

2007-01-24 7:24 PM

User image

Tiffin, Ohio
7 strokes! Really! ummm.....I'll get there.... eventually!
Like I said...I still have a lot of work to do!
2007-01-24 7:26 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
First, like I said, when I am doing realy well. And you guys are doing so well, I want to set the bar high so you do not think it is too easy To master all 3 sports can take years or a lifetime. Why do you think so many pros are in thier late 30's instead of early 20"s
2007-01-25 11:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ok, I will ask. What is the front crawl in swimming???? I swim...ha, but don't really know what style I'm swimming, it's either on my front with my head down, or on my back with arms going like a windmill, or on my side and it's not pretty.

I'm going back to the Y next week and face the lanes with all men....................joy. I would rather be all alone. Is anyone close to Indiana to give me a crash course in "all you need to know about swimming for a sprint tri?"

2007-01-25 2:42 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
The short ansure is the stroke while you are on you stomach and breating to the sides. Best advice I can give for swimming info is check out Total Imersion tape, DVDs or books for info. Your local library might have something like it.
2007-01-25 5:30 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Ok, calling all mentees. I have noticed some of you have a pretty good following, both in and out of the group in you blogs. I would love to see each of you put everyone in this group into your friends links and check in on each others blogs, as well as in here. Everyone needs a pat on the back and a kick in the rump once in awhile, but the more the marrier. Keep up the good work everyone!!
2007-01-30 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm still here. How is everyone? I didn't want to train Friday, Sat. and Sun. and I didn't...I know that's not good, so I once again am back in the game. I was down about my weight, I live by the scale and I know that's not good, but I do. If I'm in my feel good range , I'm allowed to feel good about myself, if I'm not, I'm supposed to hate myself, and I do that, it plays havic with my life. I need to ditch my scale.

Everyone seems to be doing great here, keep up the good work. You guys inspire me.

Amy from Indiana
2007-01-30 7:55 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Sorry to be a bit of a ghost the last few days. I have been fighting a combination of a good chest cold that has been messing with my training and sleep along with a scale issue or two.  I too live by the scale. It helps keep me honest with myself. I do not get too worked up about any one or two days of weight, but it helps me chart and graph progresss over time. I know I am higher than this time last year and I am not happy about it, but I will get past it.

One suggestion I can make is make sure you stay hydrated this time of year. The air is dry and that is bad enough. I find in the cold, I do not drink as much, and crave extra food to find the fluids my body is craving. So next time you open your fridge for a "whatever" consider a drink of water, or crystal light first. I find that helps alot for me. Hope you are all doing well and will try to check in again soon.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ontherun's Group -Full, off and running :) Rss Feed  

of 11