BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's group - CLOSED like your parents door during happy time. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2007-12-15 1:07 PM
in reply to: #1088605

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: RE: Jonathan22's group - CLOSED like your parents door during happy time.
Jonathan, I have no doubt I COULD do it. However, I finished so poorly last year in all my races, that I really think I can make a significant improvment based on what I learned last year. I have decided to push the HIM to next year. So my Races will change just a bit. I will still be doing one OLY rhis year, which is stilla step up. And in 2009, I will definately be doing the HIM. I feel like I'll be much better prepared in 2009 to tackle the HIM, and be in a more competetive position. Last year, I really didn't "Train" as much as workout. And even my workouts were inconsistent. You can see that by looking at my logs and graphs during the spring and summer months.

This year I look forward to moving WAY up in my AG in my races. Two of them are the same races as last year, with a few more added in.

I start my 4 week "Prep" phase tomorrow, I'll update my planned training by the end of the weekend (if my wife lets me stay on the CPU long enough). I will be cutting my LSR back from 2 hrs to 90 mins during this phase and including at least 2 strength sessions in/wk. My main focus during this phase of training will be technique and form.

Thanks for your support.

I WILL SUCK LESS!!!

2007-12-15 8:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: RE: Jonathan22's group - CLOSED like your parents door during happy time.
2008 is upon us....Most people make new years resolutions, but fail to make it more than a few weeks into the year.

So, instead of just saying what your goal resolution is for 2008, state your resolution, and what you need to do in January 2008 to maintain the course. Then in Feb we can assess each others progress, state what we need to do in Feb and help to keep each other on track throughout the year.

What do you think....

My resolution last year was to complete a triathlon. I did 3 Tri's and a 5k. And I didn't even finish last in any of them, though I was very close on all 3 occasions.

For 2008, I resolve to follow my training plan, as described by "Coach Friel" in the TTB. I will improve my time in my 5430 Sprint Tri from last year. My time last year was right at 2 hours. I will finish the race in 2008 in 1 hour 40 minutes or less.

To get me on my way to this goal. I resolve in January 2008 to finish the last 2 weeks of my "Prep Phase" and begin my Base 1 phase on 13 January and stick to the plan 100%. My rest days will be on Fridays. Week 1 and 2 of Base 1 training, I will accomplish 12 and 14.5 hrs of training respectively per week.

Who is next?

2007-12-15 9:43 PM

User image

Kansas City
Jonathan, thank you so much for those articles and looking up those resources for me. I'm going to Costco tomorrow morning to get my heart rate monitor. I'll read all the information that you gave me and let you know if I have any more questions. I have decided that I need to set some realistic short term goals for myself on a monthy basis and develop a detailed plan for reaching them. It involves lots of work and planning I guess!

I'm gonna check out the bike shops too, but I'm not going to be able to really afford one for at least a month or two. Something tells me that the wheather here is not condusive to selling or buying bikes so hopefully I can get a good deal. Getting a *deal* is something I value more than the actual price.

2007-12-15 9:52 PM

User image

Master

Great idea Paul. 

I've already signed up for all my races.  So my goals are already layed out from that prespective. 

As far as other goals, if I can just do what my coach says to do, I'll be golden.  Even though I am paying him, I have trouble sticking to the plan.  I tend to do more. 

2007-12-15 9:58 PM
in reply to: #1104146

User image

Master

tameryka - 2007-12-15 9:43 PM  I have decided that I need to set some realistic short term goals for myself on a monthy basis and develop a detailed plan for reaching them. It involves lots of work and planning I guess! 

You know Erika, there is not a lot of difference between Sprint all the way to IM training plans looking at Mon-Fri. It's the weekend training that looks really different.

Meaning that, if you can resolve to workout 3/week in each of the 3 disciplines for 30 min to 1 hour, you will be way ahead of the game.

For example, if you set a goal for 30 min swimming 3x week, 40 min running 3x week, 1 hr biking 3x week, you could complete just about any sprint or Oly.   

Here on BT, there are typically monthly challenges of some type.  These are very helpful during the winter months to keep you motivated.  Check out this forum: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=27#s

2007-12-16 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1104159

User image

Kansas City
I guess I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed by the whole HIM thing in June. When I signed up for it I felt great and then as I'm telling my friends and family they are looking at me like I'm crazy, lol. I think they have a point but none the less I am going to bust by a$$ to finish that thing. Just the prospect of doing 70 miles all in a row like that is daunting so I want to break it up into little mini-goals reaching up to HIM.

I'm very serious about this though and I don't care if its icing or snowing I WILL go running, the swimming and biking is a little more difficult considerng I cant drive when I'm snowed in. arg.

How do you link the wheather in your blog anywyas?

2007-12-16 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1104566

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
tameryka - 2007-12-16 11:05 AM

I'm very serious about this though and I don't care if its icing or snowing I WILL go running, the swimming and biking is a little more difficult considerng I cant drive when I'm snowed in. arg.

How do you link the wheather in your blog anywyas?

Well I am sorry to say that I wimped out on my run today... it is about 38 degrees but with a 20 mph wind...ain't gonna happen today. I admire your strength to go out when it is snowing etc. Of course it has been in the 60-70's and setting record highs for this time of year. This is the first cold snap we have had so I need some time to adjust.

To add the weather to your blog/log page go to your sign in page and go to the control panel then about half way down the page it gives you a yes/no option on having it on or not.

Steve

Edited by Reno8 2007-12-16 11:41 AM
2007-12-16 8:44 PM
in reply to: #1104634

User image

Master

Reno8 - 2007-12-16 11:41 AM
tameryka - 2007-12-16 11:05 AM I'm very serious about this though and I don't care if its icing or snowing I WILL go running, the swimming and biking is a little more difficult considerng I cant drive when I'm snowed in. arg. How do you link the wheather in your blog anywyas?
Well I am sorry to say that I wimped out on my run today... it is about 38 degrees but with a 20 mph wind...ain't gonna happen today. I admire your strength to go out when it is snowing etc. Of course it has been in the 60-70's and setting record highs for this time of year. This is the first cold snap we have had so I need some time to adjust. To add the weather to your blog/log page go to your sign in page and go to the control panel then about half way down the page it gives you a yes/no option on having it on or not. Steve

Steve,
If you don't have cold weather running gear, I HIGHLY suggest picking some up.  Dick's Sporting Goods has their house brand called Fitness Gear that is just like Under Armor.  I picked up some I put on a cold weather under shirt, 2 long sleeves on top of that, a thermal hat, gloves, maybe running tights; generally with this setup, I'm good to go. 

Cycling in cold weather is a different story.  I have a 40 rule.  If the Real Feel on Accuweather is under 40*, I ride indoors.  I'm wimpy.

2007-12-16 8:45 PM

User image

Master

I hope everyone had a great weekend.

Question of the day: What do you do for nutrition for workouts lasting longer than 1 hour?

2007-12-16 9:00 PM

User image

Master

tameryka - 2007-12-16 10:05 AM I guess I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed by the whole HIM thing in June. When I signed up for it I felt great and then as I'm telling my friends and family they are looking at me like I'm crazy, lol. I think they have a point but none the less I am going to bust by a$$ to finish that thing. Just the prospect of doing 70 miles all in a row like that is daunting so I want to break it up into little mini-goals reaching up to HIM. I'm very serious about this though and I don't care if its icing or snowing I WILL go running, the swimming and biking is a little more difficult considerng I cant drive when I'm snowed in. arg. How do you link the wheather in your blog anywyas?

Take a deep breath. 

You have 6 months which is plenty of time.  The key to maintaining focus and not getting overwhelmed is to follow a training plan.  Are you following one? 

Since you are a Silver member, I believe you have access to the BT training plans.  The Beginner 1/2 IM plan should be an excelent plan and would start in the next 3-4 weeks.

Also, I know a girl that did a 1/2 IM on a borrowed touring bike.  Not exactly the best bike.  But she finished. 

You are getting some great workouts in right now (masters class, spin classes, etc.) that will build the foundation for when you start the 1/2 IM plan.

2007-12-16 10:20 PM
in reply to: #1105339

User image

Kansas City
jonathan22 - 2007-12-16 9:00 PM

tameryka - 2007-12-16 10:05 AM I guess I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed by the whole HIM thing in June. When I signed up for it I felt great and then as I'm telling my friends and family they are looking at me like I'm crazy, lol. I think they have a point but none the less I am going to bust by a$$ to finish that thing. Just the prospect of doing 70 miles all in a row like that is daunting so I want to break it up into little mini-goals reaching up to HIM. I'm very serious about this though and I don't care if its icing or snowing I WILL go running, the swimming and biking is a little more difficult considerng I cant drive when I'm snowed in. arg. How do you link the wheather in your blog anywyas?

Take a deep breath. 

You have 6 months which is plenty of time.  The key to maintaining focus and not getting overwhelmed is to follow a training plan.  Are you following one? 

Since you are a Silver member, I believe you have access to the BT training plans.  The Beginner 1/2 IM plan should be an excelent plan and would start in the next 3-4 weeks.

Also, I know a girl that did a 1/2 IM on a borrowed touring bike.  Not exactly the best bike.  But she finished. 

You are getting some great workouts in right now (masters class, spin classes, etc.) that will build the foundation for when you start the 1/2 IM plan.

Just a quick update- I spent all day riding around town (including 2 costcos) looking for a garmin forerunner 305 with no avail. I went to a bunch of sport shops and half of them didn't even sell HR monitors!!! What kinda athletic shop does sell HR monitors? LAME. I came home and ordered one from amazon- it should be here by tuesday and I CANT WAIT!

Went to some bike shops but they were all sold out of my size 2007 bikes- I'll keep looking.

I'm a complete nerd and spent a whole lot of time reading the D3 articles on HR zones- I'm pretty clear now. I can't believe I havent found that site before. I'm an ex-smoker so I know I'm going to be way behind with the HR stuff so training in zone 2 is going to be BORING! It's cool though.

I just upgraded my membership to silver so in a couple of days i will really work out my training plan using what is on this site. I can do this, right? You know, a year ago I seriously couldn't even run a mile. Now a mile is just a warm up. I just have to keep putting things in perspective.

2007-12-17 8:51 PM

User image

Master

What's everyones plans for this week?

Here are mine:

• Tue - swim, core
  • Wed - Bike (hills/spin class), 55 min trail run
  • Thu - swim, bike (spin ups)
  • Fri - off
  • Sat - 16 miles of love
  • Sun - 2 hour base ride
2007-12-18 10:28 AM
in reply to: #1106987

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
1st spin class EVER yesterday. Kicked my a$$
Tue- Core & (Push-up Challenge stuff)
Wed- 1 hr. run
Thur- Core and Gym for 1 hr. (also Challenge stuff)
Fri- Spin Class (Challenge Stuff)
Sat- 1 hr. run
Sun- Off... Son's girlfriend is home from the Air Force so I will be cooking for about 12-15 people on Sun...With all that going on I would rather be out somewhere on the roads.

Jonathan..In answer to your earlier question about nutrition...Since I only started training in Sept. and am only up to about an hour (except for biking..about 1.5 hrs.) I only think about proper hydration at this point. I also try to get some pre-workout protein if I am biking for over an hour or hitting the gym hard.

When I was running years ago this was not something people talked about too much so I am just starting to get a grasp of the importance of nutrition as it relates to your training schedule.

What do you do and what tips can you offer us? You have seen me...I am 6' 4" 240lbs. What effect does this have on what I need to consider (if any effect at all).

Thanks

Steve
2007-12-18 11:39 AM
in reply to: #1107711

User image

Master

Reno8 - 2007-12-18 10:28 AM What do you do and what tips can you offer us? You have seen me...I am 6' 4" 240lbs. What effect does this have on what I need to consider (if any effect at all). Thanks Steve

The great thing about training is that you can make mistakes in practice.  But come race day, you should have it figured out.

I tried all sorts of stuff this year.  The biggest thing is that you have to find what works for you.  Everyone has a different body and what works for some doesn't work for everyone.

For sprints, I usually only take water.  I might take a gel prior to the start. 

For olys, I will do 2 gels on the bike, one plain water bottle and one electrolyte bottle.  I use Gu2o since it's low in sugar. 

I love sugar (cookies, cake, etc.) but when it comes to exercise, it is my enemy. After a few hours, my stomach starts to revolt (not something you want during say a HIM or IM).  So I try to go low sugar items.  Some people can handle it; I can't (at least not for long distance stuff). I learned that the hard way.

I started using Perpetuem late this year.  That stuff is awesome.  I make it a little thick (4 hour bottle).  I use it on rides at or longer than 2 hours.  I have also started to use it on the run.  I also use gels when I'm running (powergel and hammergel; powergel has more sugar but I like the consistency). 

Sometimes on really long rides (like > 60 miles), I like some solid food.  It's usually a banana or an Uncrustable (those rock). 

A GREAT source of info is Hammer Nutrition (http://www.e-caps.com/za/ECP?PAGE=GUIDES).  Yes, they are trying to sell products but they also have mad info available.  I use all their products. 

Also, I've attached a guide that was given to me by a nutritionist. 

But again, there are some basic guidlines but at the end of the day, only you will know what works and you have to experiement to get there.

I have learned about what not to do by failing moreso than anything else.  On my first 60 mile mountain ride, I took 3 gels and 2 water bottles.  That got me through the first hour.  Then I still had 3 hours to go.  I was hurting.  But lesson learned.

On my wife's first 40 mile ride, she took 1 gel despite me telling her she needed more (we make not listening to your spouse an artform).  She learned the lesson that day. 

Edited by jonathan22 2007-12-18 11:54 AM

Attachments
----------------
Pages from Katz Race Day Nutrition-2.pdf (63KB - 26 downloads)
Pages from Katz Race Day Nutrition.pdf (81KB - 23 downloads)
2007-12-18 3:15 PM
in reply to: #1107836

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
jonathan22 - 2007-12-18 12:39 PM
p>

On my wife's first 40 mile ride, she took 1 gel despite me telling her she needed more (we make not listening to your spouse an artform).  She learned the lesson that day. 

This coming March I will have been married (or incarcersated if you will ;-) so I am well aware of the "HER WAY" theory...which means that when she speaks then she will do everything her way and I will also do everything her way...and when it doesn't work out then obviously it was MY fault.

I am glad at times that my wife is not an athlete...but she is on this computer a LOT.....just in case ;-)

Love you Honey...Don't know what I would do without you. You KNOW i was just kidding.

I hope.

Steve
2007-12-20 9:16 AM
in reply to: #1108215

User image

Kansas City
Reno8 - 2007-12-18 3:15 PM

This coming March I will have been married (or incarcersated if you will ;-)

This is precisly why I'm divorced- you boys act like your incarcerated but then you can't live without us

I have another LT question- just like i knew I would once i got my HR monitor. I went to spin class last night and decided to calculate my LT during the class. Now that I'm thinking about it I think that maybe this was inaccurate. During the last 20 minutes of the class I hit "lap" and pretty much went all out to the point where I didn' t have anything left by the end of the class.

My average HR during this time was 157. This morning it occurred to me that since I had resistance on the bike that this might not be the most accurate measure because it was very much of a muscular workout. Should I wait and calculate my HR zones once I get the indoor trainer and can go at a steady pace or do you think that this calculation was accurate?

2007-12-20 1:33 PM

User image

Master

Erika,

This is a fine way to do it.  My wife did it the same way.  You just want to repeat it in a few months just to check (and maybe again at the end of the season). 

I'd add 10 to that (167) to get to your running HR.  Both values are sufficient for now. 

What races are you planning on doing between now and the 70.3?

2007-12-20 1:58 PM
in reply to: #1111962

User image

Kansas City
jonathan22 - 2007-12-20 1:33 PM

Erika,

This is a fine way to do it.  My wife did it the same way.  You just want to repeat it in a few months just to check (and maybe again at the end of the season). 

I'd add 10 to that (167) to get to your running HR.  Both values are sufficient for now. 

Well, I'm doing a 10 mile "race" on 2/9 and then a couple of sprints in the following months, trying to decide if I want to do an oly.

I was planning to the running LT by actually going outside and running this saturday. The number 157 seems really low to me. Does it mean I'm out of shape? Am I in big trouble?

Edited by tameryka 2007-12-20 1:59 PM
2007-12-20 3:35 PM
in reply to: #1111372

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
tameryka - 2007-12-20 10:16 AM

Reno8 - 2007-12-18 3:15 PM

This coming March I will have been married (or incarcersated if you will ;-)

This is precisly why I'm divorced- you boys act like your incarcerated but then you can't live without us

There are times when I wish my wife was divorced
2007-12-20 5:55 PM
in reply to: #1112301

User image

Kansas City

This is precisly why I'm divorced- you boys act like your incarcerated but then you can't live without us ;)

There are times when I wish my wife was divorced ;)

Oh snap.

Edited by tameryka 2007-12-20 6:49 PM
2007-12-20 6:43 PM
in reply to: #1112030

User image

Master
tameryka - 2007-12-20 1:58 PM
jonathan22 - 2007-12-20 1:33 PM

Erika,

Well, I'm doing a 10 mile "race" on 2/9 and then a couple of sprints in the following months, trying to decide if I want to do an oly. I was planning to the running LT by actually going outside and running this saturday. The number 157 seems really low to me. Does it mean I'm out of shape? Am I in big trouble?

The number is what it is.  It doesn't mean that your out of shape.  It is just the HR that your body deals with lactate acid.  In your first few years of training, I have read, this number can move up a lot as you gain fitness and get closer to reaching your fitness potential.  But for now, it is the best measure of where you currently are.  Don't compare your number to anyone elses.

The 10 miler would be fine for a test. 

2007-12-21 7:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Orygun

tameryka - 2007-12-16 10:05 AM I guess I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed by the whole HIM thing in June. When I signed up for it I felt great and then as I'm telling my friends and family they are looking at me like I'm crazy, lol. I think they have a point but none the less I am going to bust by a$$ to finish that thing. Just the prospect of doing 70 miles all in a row like that is daunting so I want to break it up into little mini-goals reaching up to HIM. 

You can do it, girl! Like Jonathan22 said (after your blog, J, I'll have trouble thinking of you as anything but jonathan22), you're putting in some great time. Small steps, and on the other side you'll be amazed at how far you've come. I agree w/ something else J said--about people overestimating what they can do in 12 weeks, but underestimating what they can do in 12 months. Patience and perseverance. We'll give you faith on days you run out!

Edited by jchughes66 2007-12-21 7:56 PM
2007-12-22 10:33 AM
in reply to: #1114111

User image

Master
jchughes66 - 2007-12-21 7:56 PM

after your blog, J, I'll have trouble thinking of you as anything but jonathan22

No worries.  That's better than some of the names Capt No Fun calls me.

2007-12-22 12:48 PM
in reply to: #1114111

User image

Kansas City
jchughes66 - 2007-12-21 7:56 PM

tameryka - 2007-12-16 10:05 AM I guess I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed by the whole HIM thing in June. When I signed up for it I felt great and then as I'm telling my friends and family they are looking at me like I'm crazy, lol. I think they have a point but none the less I am going to bust by a$$ to finish that thing. Just the prospect of doing 70 miles all in a row like that is daunting so I want to break it up into little mini-goals reaching up to HIM. 

You can do it, girl! Like Jonathan22 said (after your blog, J, I'll have trouble thinking of you as anything but jonathan22), you're putting in some great time. Small steps, and on the other side you'll be amazed at how far you've come. I agree w/ something else J said--about people overestimating what they can do in 12 weeks, but underestimating what they can do in 12 months. Patience and perseverance. We'll give you faith on days you run out!

You're a sweetheart.
2007-12-24 3:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
Just wanted to tell you all MERRY CHRISTMAS.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's group - CLOSED like your parents door during happy time. Rss Feed  

of 7