BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2007-12-14 4:32 PM
in reply to: #1090141

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Pshorty's Group-FULL
I thought I might have some common threads with the folks in this group.

Grace, it is good to hear you are a vegetarian too. We will have to share nutrition tips.

All, I am glad other people like beer. I do think it is a good form of carbs. But it is making me lazy and I don't have time to be lazy these days.

My weekend plans:
Saturday bike ride. My log says 40 miles but that isn't practical right now. I hope to ride for a few hours with a local bike shop or ride a 30 mile ride with my tri club. I haven't decided what to do yet.

Sunday run. I am scheduled for 6 miles and would like to do that. My tri club is doing a "Runch" (Run + Lunch). I think I might join them for motivation although it is an hour drive from my house. Other option is to run near my house it will be much colder but take up less time.

Happy Friday!

2007-12-14 5:29 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Good luck with the weekend training, peeps.  Pretty ambitious training for the onset of winter.  I think I'm getting some motivation from y'all.  Ready for the long run Sunday afternoon to get here now.

Have a good weeked everybody.

Oh, and does anybody have some good trainer programs?  I don't have any of those spinerval DVDs and I've just been making stuff up on the fly. 

2007-12-15 6:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY
Just a quick note to all of my swim coaches out there: I went to that same shallow YMCA pool yesterday, and taking it slow and steady, was able to swim 500 yards freestyle without a break. Thats not insiginificant, because in the past I wasn't able to swim more than about 125 at a stretch.

It was the relaxation and the reach that did it for me: slow, steady, long strokes and even bilateral breathing got me through it. Finally, though, I realized my trouble was part mental as well: I noticed at periods during the swim that massive doubt would emerge if a breath wasn't as deep or full as I needed it to be. Instead of giving up, I returned to that cadence I had established and my mind had a sort of "safety net": confidence in my ability to maintain a form which made freestyle less of a struggle.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Even though I was pretty damn slow, I can't wait to get back in the water and do it again!

2007-12-16 7:52 AM

User image

Regular
Way to go, Chris. Keep at that. Think RELAX and maximum distance per stroke. In other worlds, here is an interesting thread on slowtwitch about how people trained to do a sub 3hour marathon:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1...

We got 10-12 inches of snow but I think I am running later. Running in the snow makes me feel like the guy from Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner (the book, not the song by Iron Maiden which is also good). The whole "first and last person on the earth" feeling.

DAN only has 48.5 miles to reach his goal of 1000 running miles in 2007!!!! Two weeks to do it. Good luck, Dan.
2007-12-16 8:07 AM
in reply to: #1102724

User image

Regular
Bill,
Here are some trainer programs that I've used lately:

(all after a good warmup)

ladder: start in an easy gear at a set cadence (~90), every 2 minutes shift to a higher gear but try and keep your cadence the same. Once you get to some predetermined gear, go back down the ladder.

Intervals: almost all intervals that you do outside you can do on a trainer. An easy one is three minutes easy spin followed by three minutes in a hard gear.

Don't know this one's name: 10min hard, 2 min spin, 8min hard, 2min spin, 6min hard, 2min spin, 4min hard, 2min spin, 2min hard, 2min spin. Increase the intensity of the hard parts with each decrease in time.

I've just started doing more structured trainer workouts, so take them with a grain of salt. I'll post more as I do them. I got the ones above from a book called "Serious Cycling".

-Paul

Edited by pshorty 2007-12-16 8:09 AM
2007-12-16 1:20 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Nice going, Chris.  That's a huge improvement over a short time. 

Thanks for the tips, Paul.  I really just need something to break the monotony.  There's only so many lights out, ipod blaring trainer rides you can do before even that gets dull.

2007-12-16 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Just a question about the timing of the race.
does the clock for the swim stop once you are on the bike?
and does the clock for the bike stop once you are on the run course?
trying to figure out where the 2 transisions fit into the over all timming of the race.
did you all have a good weekend?
I had my work christmas party on Saturday, good food, good drinks, good time.
2007-12-16 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1105205

User image

Regular
natebs - 2007-12-16 9:04 PM

Just a question about the timing of the race.
does the clock for the swim stop once you are on the bike?
and does the clock for the bike stop once you are on the run course?
trying to figure out where the 2 transisions fit into the over all timming of the race.
did you all have a good weekend?
I had my work christmas party on Saturday, good food, good drinks, good time.

Hi Nathan,

The most common scenario is you'll wear an electronic chip on your ankle. You'll start in the water or on the beach. When you are done with the swim, you have to get out of the water and run to the transition area. You will enter one side of the transition area where there is a chip reader. So your swim time will actually be from the time the clock starts to the time you cross into the transition area. Once in the transition area you'll get your bike and everything and exit the transition area and your chip will be read again. This will give you your first transition time. It will also start your bike clock. Once you finish the bike you'll re-enter the transition area and your chip will be read again. This will give you your bike time and start your second transition clock. You'll put on your shoes, etc. and exit the transition area where your chip will be read again stopping the second transition clock and starting your run clock. Once you cross the finish line your chip will be read for the last time. If the race is run like this you will have split times for your swim, t1, bike, t2, and run.

Not all races are run like this. Some don't use chips and you will therefore not get a lot of info back.

Hope this helps.
2007-12-17 12:39 PM

User image

Veteran
exactly the info Iwas looking for thanks

how was everyones weekend?
2007-12-17 12:43 PM

User image

Veteran
hey Paul,
should i be bumping up my bike times, I was looking at your logs and your way up there compared to me?
Nate
2007-12-17 2:06 PM
in reply to: #1106223

User image

Regular
natebs - 2007-12-17 1:43 PM

hey Paul,
should i be bumping up my bike times, I was looking at your logs and your way up there compared to me?
Nate

Not necessarily. I am trying to do bike-centered cycle right now because, frankly I am pretty weak on the bike. And by "pretty" I mean "extremely". In last year's races, I had to put so much effort into ptu up mediocre bike times that it would kill me on the run. I am pretty sure that it had to do with the fact that I started riding bikes about 10 days before I started racing triathlons. Not quite as extreme as Grace who learned how to shift in the parking lot before her race, but close. Regardless, I had absolutely no bike base and I felt it. Now I am just trying to get in bike miles to build a better base. I wish I could put more miles in but it's all on a trainer these days and that just gets too boring. Soon I will have to switch over to run-focus because I have a marathon in April. After that I plan to do a couple more bike-focus months (outside) before bringing it all together. We'll see how it goes.

I saw your other thread about and oly time. I am going to go against the grain and say "go for it". It might be a little difficult predicting what a good time for you would be but not impossible. As you get closer you can do little mini-time trials, etc. Remember though, if you run a 40min stand alone 10k, you are almost certainly not going to run a 40min 10K after a 25mile bike. But you can do a run time trial after having ridden your bike for an hour, etc. so you are used to that spaghettti feeling in your legs. In the end, you might be dissapointed, you might be happy, but that's how life works, right?

2007-12-17 2:11 PM

User image

Regular
So who has the first race out of our group? I think it's Bill with a marathon in January. Then Candace has a half-marathon in February followed by a half-ironman in March. Sound right?

When is everyone else getting started?
2007-12-17 3:46 PM
in reply to: #1106418

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

pshorty - 2007-12-17 2:11 PM So who has the first race out of our group? I think it's Bill with a marathon in January. Then Candace has a half-marathon in February followed by a half-ironman in March. Sound right? When is everyone else getting started?

I actually am only running the half marathon.  BT didn't have a link for just the half, so I just clicked on the full.  Shameless, I know.  I plan on running a full in April to make up for it.  This half in January is actually the inaugural Mississippi Blues Marathon, so I might have some fun with it.  Take the camera around and what not.  I'm really only doing all this running to build a base for a half iron later. 

The weekend was good, expcept for the Christmas tree hunt.  Was going to get one Friday, but didn't have a stand.  Then it poured all day Saturday.  Then I ran ten miles on Sunday and didn't feel like getting out of the house after that. 

We broke below thirty degrees for the first time this year today.  I'm not a cold weather type of person.  At least it's back in the 50s now.  Good ol Mississippi winter.

2007-12-17 4:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Portland
I think I've figured out my first couple races for 08:

2/16/08 Reverse Sprint Tri (UC Irvine)
and then a 5 or 10k on 4/5
6/15/08 Danskin Southern CA

and hopefully a 1/2 marathon in there too.

Kudos to everyone who manages to get miles in with the holidays-- I can barely get anything done these days, and that's before heading out of town. oops. But looking forward to 08 and a whole new year of structure :-)

2007-12-17 5:19 PM
in reply to: #1106646

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

kerryleigh5 - 2007-12-17 4:15 PMKudos to everyone who manages to get miles in with the holidays-- I can barely get anything done these days, and that's before heading out of town. oops. But looking forward to 08 and a whole new year of structure :-)

Well, technically these are the '08 mentor groups.  So that means we can eat whatever we want and be lazy for the next two weeks right?  I'm tempted to put Christmas shopping on my training log.  It's more stressful and hectic than anything else I do.

2007-12-17 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran
I agree with you about the christmas shopping thing.
My first race is at the end of March, Hamilton aroung the Bay 30 K, it is said to be the oldest road race in north america, beats Boston by (i think) 2 years. then I run a full marathon at the end of May ( my first full), we have about 3 feet of snow and along the roads its about 5 feet high so I hope it melts by then lol.

2007-12-17 9:42 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Well I am D O N E with the Christmas shopping.  Actually done much earlier than usual.  The sad thing is, I just bought a tree.  I'm capturing the night on camera, which might not be a good thing, but they will be shown on this thread (for better or worse).  As a heads up, it already involves three beers, one knocked over tree, one huge knot in the lights, and a scary drive home with a fir tree on top of the Honda.  Dang, I really wish I had the camera the whole time.  Some of that stuff would have been gold.  Well, done with the hotdogs (how's that for a training food).  Time to hang the ornaments. 

Ok, so I'll at least try to make this somewhat relevant to actual tri-training.

Grace, the swimming yards you are putting in are AWESOME.  I'm seriously jealous.

Dan, I can't believe you're about to hit 1000 miles running for the year.  I can barely fathom that.  Truly incredible.

Chris, the progress you made in the pool already is huge.  The fact that you're shooting for three hours in Boston is something I'm very envious of.  You'll do it.  No doubts.

Nathan, it's going to be fun following your training into your first tri season.  I'm fresh off my rookie season and I know how daunting it can seem, but it's so damn fun and rewarding.

Hey, Kerry.  I thought you said you were gonna take it easy the rest of the year.  Take a day off!  You're making me look bad.

Candace, what you're going through with your hip has already inspired me.  As somebody who's fought through injuries before, it always helps to see somebody else beat the pain and succeed.

Paul.  The group rocks.  Thanks for being a mentor.  We technically haven't even started yet and I'm loving it.

Sesh.  Quit slacking off.  Start training you bum.

2007-12-17 10:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Portland
>>Hey, Kerry. I thought you said you were gonna take it easy the rest of the year. Take a day off! You're making me look bad.

Oh, don't you worry, I did exactly nothing today. :-)

Technical ? for you all: I just started using the training log on this site and it seems like kind of a pain- is there a way to save the strength training reps/weights/ etc so that you don't have to enter it if you do the same things regularly? I don't want to spend as much time logging it as doing it :-) any other training log pointers welcome too.

2007-12-17 11:43 PM
in reply to: #1107080

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
kerryleigh5 - 2007-12-17 8:22 PM

Technical ? for you all: I just started using the training log on this site and it seems like kind of a pain- is there a way to save the strength training reps/weights/ etc so that you don't have to enter it if you do the same things regularly? I don't want to spend as much time logging it as doing it :-) any other training log pointers welcome too.

Hi Kerry,
Yes, there is a way to save the strength. When you have the exercises, reps and weights just the way you like it.

• First Save the log, just so you don't lose anything.
  • Then in the Strength section, enter a description (where it says "Save Save today's strength to a template"), check what you want to save (sets, reps, weights) and then hit "Save to template".
  • Next time you go back you can find your description under the drop down on the top right. Click on the description you want and then click "Add to log."
  • Now you should see all your saved info

I think we also might be nearby each other in Southern Cali. I am pretty far inland but noticed you have a few races in the LA/ Orange county area.

Candaced
2007-12-18 12:09 AM
in reply to: #1107042

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
sesh - 2007-12-17 7:42 PM

Candace, what you're going through with your hip has already inspired me.  As somebody who's fought through injuries before, it always helps to see somebody else beat the pain and succeed.

Bill - thanks for the encouragement.

Just so you guys know, If you do check my logs you will see a huge amount of complaining and troubleshooting about my hip/side/back issues. I have been dealing with an issue that has been becoming progressively worse over the last few years. I don't really mean to complain out loud but I use my log to help me find patterns and hopefully to come up with a solution.

I congratulate all of you runners. Marathons and 1/2 marathons are such scary distances to me. 13.1 is my longest run ever - only once! I am pretty sure running is what is causing all my hip issues. I think that is why tri's are so great because it forces cross training.

Grace - I love the idea of the Chesapeake Bay Swim. I bet that will be a good event! I think I need to try a long distance swim sometime.

Also, I was thinking of you folks in colder weather while I was riding this weekend. (I used to live in Upstate New York so I am very familiar with cold snowy winter hibernation.) I do have to say I feel fortunate being able to ride in the mountains in good weather in December.

I really enjoy the advice so far. The bike trainer tips are great. I am also a very weak biker. I am hoping 2 indoor spins a week will start to help.

Here is a link to the training guideline that I am following in case any of you are interested: http://media.cust.clickability.com/documents/HalfIronmanCalifornia2...

I hope everyone has a great holiday!

Edited by wyndswept 2007-12-18 12:11 AM
2007-12-18 8:06 AM
in reply to: #1107042

User image

Regular
sesh - 2007-12-17 10:42 PM

Well, done with the hotdogs (how's that for a training food).   

I [heart] hotdogs.

Edited by pshorty 2007-12-18 8:06 AM

2007-12-18 9:06 AM
in reply to: #1107496

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
pshorty - 2007-12-18 8:06 AM
sesh - 2007-12-17 10:42 PM

Well, done with the hotdogs (how's that for a training food).   

I [heart] hotdogs.

2007-12-18 9:12 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Spreading some yuletide cheer.  My album from last night is up.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=7424

A mini preview:

2007-12-18 9:47 AM

User image

Regular
Nice. I like the beers in the water bottle cages. I saw the pictures of hotdogs and I got starving. Then I saw the other pictures and I am extremely thirsty. Go figure.
2007-12-18 7:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY
And, full as I am with cookie dough right now, I saw sesh's pics and didn't notice the dogs or the beers until later. Nice Wheels. (Can you tell I've been cruising my local bike shops for winter deals?) Sesh, thanks for all the encouragement. What your dogs did remind me of was Kobayashi, of another infamous endurance event: the ironman of the intestinal track, Nathan's Annual Hot Dog Eating Contest.

Along those lines, I have a nutrition log question: should I count the calories from the cookie dough I ate this evening toward the same meal as the baked cookies I ate 20 minutes later?

Bill, Candace, and Kerry -- I love hearing about your early-season races and your holiday training. I'm with you! I just added a half marathon to my list of events this year:

The 32nd Annual Hangover Half -- Half-Marathon, Albany, NY

I think it'll be more of an incentive to get me out on the road during the holidays: train appropriately, or stand a greater chance of getting frostbite on raceday. The quicker I finish, the quicker I'll be able to get back into the warmth.

Each of you is inspiring! Keep posting, keep logging!
Its really helping to build my motivation!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  

of 33