BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PeterAK's Group: THIS TREEHOUSE IS FULL!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2007-12-15 11:39 AM
in reply to: #1094997

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Subject: RE: PeterAK's Group: THIS TREEHOUSE IS FULL!!!

Just a thought to make things easy.  I'll be asking for info from all of you from time to time.  To make it easy to see when I'm asking questions of the group, I'll post it in all green, like this:

All of you forgot to answer the cherry vs. cola slurpee question.  Please post your preference!  (not a joke, it was in the very first post of the thread!)

ABSOLUTELY FINAL, don't ask to join, we are an exclusive group, we will throw rotten tomatoes at you if you hang around and are not part of our group, roster for PeterAK's spring 2008 mentor group:

Zilla / TJ
daspanglers / Dave
Tautery / Teresa
Daveo1101 / Dave
hhpvbtri / Hilary
AndriaLL / Andria
force / Jeff
FentressJET / Eric
Regimom / Linda

If you don't have everyone in the group in your friends list, please take care of that ASAP.  I will be checking all of your logs regularly, and to get the most out of this, you guys will be checking on each other. 

How do you do that?  In your training log, just under the calendar, click "change display settings."  Then click the "friends" tab and put the user names in the blanks.  When done, click "apply" at the bottom of the page and you will then be able to access everyones blog from yours!

Okay, I see diet as being important to many of you.  I have been eating like crap for the last three months too, and we're about to jump into early season training, so getting a handle on diet now will benefit us all.  Is everyone in for making this our first step together?

POP QUIZ: What did you have for breakfast this morning (Sat)?

I had oatmeal with blueberries topped with some raw sugar and half & half, and two scrambled eggs.  OJ and coffee.

2007-12-15 11:49 AM
in reply to: #1103689

User image

Master
Living in the past
PeterAK - 2007-12-15 11:39 AM

All of you forgot to answer the cherry vs. cola slurpee question.  Please post your preference!  (not a joke, it was in the very first post of the thread!)

Cola, for me. 

Okay, I see diet as being important to many of you.  I have been eating like crap for the last three months too, and we're about to jump into early season training, so getting a handle on diet now will benefit us all.  Is everyone in for making this our first step together?

'bout 7 handfuls of Capt'n Crunch, w/crunchberries for a "fruit" serving....I need serious help...

2007-12-15 11:56 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Zilla 2007-12-15 11:58 AM
2007-12-15 1:20 PM
in reply to: #1103696

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Zilla 2007-12-15 1:42 PM
2007-12-15 1:44 PM

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
PeterAK - 2007-12-15 11:39 AM

mix 50-50 - cherry cola

chicken breast on romain with balsamic dressing, 1 banana 1 slice wheat toast - 20 oz water

2007-12-15 1:45 PM

Master
Colorado

Yay!  I'm in!  I like all the peeps in here!  I read all your bios and I think this will be great for all of us.  That is, if Peter can handle us all...

Name:  Linda

Family Status: Divorced/2 kids - 9 (almost) and 6. 

Story:  It goes something like this:  Once upon a time, when I was a little girl, I had a wee bike.  I rode it everywhere.  Then these new-fangled mountain bikes came out, so I bought one.  I never owned a car (typical Oregon hippie) so I rode my bike where I needed to go.  That is as close to an athlete as I ever was.  I always rode with my ex and his friends on mtn bike rides and always sucked until after my first child was born.  Not sure what happened, but I rode more endurance riding after that.  Pretty soon, I was faster than some boys, then I was faster than my ex.  Used his road bike on occassion after I had my second child because it was easier to train with and then I started racing mt bikes.  I had a full 2004 and 2005 season racing and started my 2006 season in expert class, and then life happened.  And continued to happen.  Why tris?  Oh yeah... in 2005 I entered a local sprint tri on a whim because it was the first open water one they had done in the area.  I figured I knew how to swim, basically, so whatever, and I could move on the bike, and I could maybe just maybe run the whole 5k.  And that was the first time I had ever run that far.  Turns out it wasn't so bad.  I got 3rd in my AG.  So here I am.  I now live in Denver and am amazed by all the *real* athletes here.  I used to be very unique, now I am one of the masses of athletes that live and train here. 

Current Training:  I'm on a 24-hour bike race training plan that I purchased online.  I'm really trying to stick to it.  It goes until the race on Feb 16th.

2008 Race Plans:

24 Hours in the Old Pueblo (MTB) Solo - Feb 16

A marathon

A Half-Iron

Sprinkle in a few mtb races maybe

Might (crossing fingers) have a spot in the Leadville 100 MTB race.

(combine ingredients and bake at 375 until cooked thouroghly)

Training goals for 2008:

Since 2007 sucked (broken clavicle, divorce, move, job, $) I'm going to say as long as I'm making progress, I'm succeeding. 

• Get to race weight by Feb 16th (12 lbs to go)
  • Learn to enjoy running (right now I loathe it)
  • Build endurance and base to complete IM in 2009
  • Have fun and avoid the overtraining burnout...

Slurpee Preference:  In HS it was the Cola, now that I am older and wiser... cherry.  However, I once has a Pepsi Freeze that was pretty good.

This mornings breakfast... waffles with the kiddos.

Does this mentor group come with a free t-shirt?

2007-12-15 1:53 PM

How cool is this!  Zilla AND Regimom in the same group as me?  In case no one knew they were my first!  wait .... didn't sound right.  Well, THEY know what I mean!

Oh yeah - Cola slurpee is the best. 

Breakfast - 1 pc toast w/ peanut butter!

Edited by daspanglers 2007-12-15 1:57 PM
2007-12-15 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1103669

PeterAK - 2007-12-15 11:16 AM

daspanglers!  Good stuffs in the bio.

I had some high school letters, some were even for athletics (downhill skiing). But alas, more of mine were for the super cool stuff like band and academic decathlon.  I've really come into my own as a cool kid as an adult.  Looks like you have always been cool.  I designate you the resident coolness advisor.

You did your first tri just because?  Anybody influence you in that?  I did mine to do something fun with my brother.  Fortunately it gave the girl I was just starting to date a reason to beileve I was an athlete (and she's now my fiance!). 

Which of the three sports do you feel you are best and worst at?  I imagine the next few months will be about staying healthy as you rebuild your leg strength and endurance.  I know how disappointed you were when you got injured this year so here's looking forward to a healthy and successful 2008 season.

Great job on the weight loss!  You have managed to stay pretty stable since your injury despite drastically reducing activity.  Have you changed your eating habits?

Glad to have ya, and hope to meet you face to face one of these days rather than just getting yelled at by you!  (for the rest of ya, Dave was at IMWI and cheered me on but we've never actually met)

The coolness advisor is somewhat debatable as you witnessed by my peotry prowess!  But I shall do my best to uphold the values of the position ane will fufill my duties to the best of my ability! 

Did a tri just because.  I actually made it a new year's resolution.  I think I saw it in Men's Health or something like that.

Probably running is my worst.  I don't enjoy it.  Before starting triathlon training I never ran over 5 miles at a time before.  I could run a 40 dash with anybody but over 40 yards was long distance to me.  I found an old physical fitness test in the storage room the other day from my younger Army days.  Once I ran a 2 mile run in 12:28.  I have no plans to get that fast again, however.

I kept active during my injury.  No running at all but was able to swim and bike.  Diet is my biggest issue, so I'll work on that w/ every one else!  I like to eat, I just don't eat as much any more!

2007-12-15 2:41 PM

Colorado
Wow, I missed alot while I was out walking around in the snow at Chatfield. (Rudolph's Revenge 5K).

1. Cherry, I think (I never actually had a Slurpee before but don't like cola)

2. Lefse and lingonberries. (I just visited my lefse dealer last night) Starbuck's green tea latte, nonfat, no whip. Grande size.

Back to reading the posts.........Have a great weekend everyone!
2007-12-15 3:33 PM

Veteran
San Antonio
What a cool group! Breakfast - cup of coffee and 3 windmill cookies. (breakfast on weekends for me really sucks. During the week I have bowl of oatmeal every morning) Does eating a peppermint blizzard from dairy queen at 1am count for today or yesterday? Went swimming this morning and getting on my bike in about and hour. Anyone else moving around today?

Oh yeah, went to get new running shoes today (yeah) and the shoe fitter told me I have lots of issues. All leg muscles too tight, weak ankles, back too tight and I have flat feet. She told me to get deep tissue massage and use foam rollers to ease my tension. Any one else getting massaged or using the foam ball?

Cherry slurpee is my favorite although I 'slurp' it too fast and get a brain freeze everytime.
2007-12-15 3:43 PM
in reply to: #1103893

Colorado
Good morning!

I just finished a 5K! I love the snow, so it was fun...had to walk it, though.

I use a foam roller for my IT bands, upper & lower back and glutes. I'm also doing alot of PT right now for my foot and ankle (more than I remember to log). I was in my surgical boot for 6 weeks and then my first HOUR out, I sprained my ankle...ripped 2 ligaments and had another surgery to fix that. I felt my ankle was too weak to hold me....anyway, I work pretty hard at strengthening it (and my right calf) as I'm getting ready to come out again and don't want another mishap. Let me know if you want to know what I'm doing. I can scan the relevant PT papers I have and e-mail them to you.

Andria

2007-12-15 4:58 PM
in reply to: #1103669

Regular
Cherry slurpee I think? When I drink pop (infrequent), I drink cherry cola so I wouldn't turn that down either.

12/15 - breakfast - half a bowl of cinnamon Life and 2% milk. It started out well, and then someone sent us Godiva chocolates...and Cheryl's cookies...and it's awful out.
2007-12-15 5:29 PM
in reply to: #1103838

Master
Colorado

AndriaLL - 2007-12-15 1:41 PM Wow, I missed alot while I was out walking around in the snow at Chatfield. (Rudolph's Revenge 5K). 1. Cherry, I think (I never actually had a Slurpee before but don't like cola) 2. Lefse and lingonberries. (I just visited my lefse dealer last night) Starbuck's green tea latte, nonfat, no whip. Grande size. Back to reading the posts.........Have a great weekend everyone!

You were there???? I was there!  I didn't run, but I took pics and cheered!  Shoot.  Next time lets meet!

2007-12-15 5:29 PM
in reply to: #1103780

Elite
In The Peleton
daveo1101 - 2007-12-15 1:44 PM

mix 50-50 - cherry cola

Excellent answer.  5 points for you.

2007-12-15 5:36 PM
in reply to: #1103797

Elite
In The Peleton
daspanglers - 2007-12-15 1:53 PM

How cool is this!  Zilla AND Regimom in the same group as me?  In case no one knew they were my first!  wait .... didn't sound right.  Well, THEY know what I mean!

Am I going to have to separate you three?

Wheat or white toast?

2007-12-15 5:45 PM
in reply to: #1103783

Elite
In The Peleton

Regimom/Linda/Lala/SheWhoIsFasterThanBoys:

Good bio ya hippie!  You are one of those people who frustrates people like me.  You enter a race on a whim and collect hardware.  I work my azz off but have yet to get on a podium at any sort of race.  Please share your secrets (and if you are going to tell me to get pregnant just keep it to yourself).

For your 24 mtb race, have you set goals for yourself?  I'm hoping to do a 24 hour race this year, but I won't do it solo... Nope.  I'll do a relay.  Have you done a 24 hr race before?  I know a guy who did the Leadville 100 last year, sounds like it was brutal.  And fun.

Which is more important to you, the mary or the HIM?

2008 will be better than 2007.  I guarantee it. 

Race weight: I've met you.  You are skinny.  Do you really need to lose weight?  Honest question--I'm skinny myself but I was super-duper-extra skinny for IM.  I'm up almost 10 lbs from race day and totally fine with it.  Are you trying to get to a weight you were at before your clavicle break?  Tell us a bit more about this goal.

For the rest of you, if you have weight goals, want to cover XX miles on the run or bike etc., you can put tickers on your blog.  Lala has one set up for her weight and I think it's a cool tool to help benchmark your progress.

Glad to have you in the group Lala!

2007-12-15 5:49 PM

Elite
In The Peleton
Zilla - 2007-12-15 11:56 AM

I had 2 ginormous cups of full strength, strong coffee with skim milk and Equal .... emptied the 10 cup pot in two shots!

You must drink out of a mug as huge as the one my grandfather drank out of.  Just, ya know, out of curiousity, have you thought about cutting back on the caffiene? I love my coffee too, and drink 4-5 cups a day.  No training wheels for me though, strong black coffee straight up.  Mmmmm...

I'm into hydration.  I drink water all day at work and at home.  Caffiene makes it harder to stay well hydrated.

2007-12-15 6:12 PM
in reply to: #1101002

Elite
In The Peleton
Subject: RE: PeterAK's Group: OPEN

AndriaLL - 2007-12-13 6:55 PM Thank you Peter. My grandparents lived not far from La Crosse, in Black River Falls, and I have several friends living in Milwaukee and....hmmmm, one of those suburbs starting with a "Wau" : )

Wauwatosa maybe?  It's the first western burb and my office is there. 

AndriaLL - 2007-12-13 6:55 PM I don't know if that will happen during a longer distance triathlon right now or not as I most likely will not be punching anybody--I do suspect my knees may flare. I need to train properly, and raise my level of fitness slowly so as not to overdo it.

Gradually ramping up your training will be key.  Basic rule is to add no more than 10% distance/time per week.  Listen to your body and share how you feel with us so we can provide feedback and learn from you too.

2007-12-15 6:25 PM
in reply to: #1101060

Elite
In The Peleton

hhpvbtri - 2007-12-13 7:46 PM Well I'm glad I was successful on the post. Now someone has to help me with getting a picture to show like everyone else has - I poked around in the control panel area and tried loading a few pictures but it kept saying my file was to big.

This is pushing my computer skills, but you need to resize the picture.  Save it on your computer, open it to edit, reduce size, resave, upload to your album, and then set it as your avatar.  How's that for oversimplifying??? 

hhpvbtri - 2007-12-13 7:46 PM I tried the pull bouy you mentioned the other night and wow - i can actually swim faster with just my arms when I use that - too bad I can't use it in a race. The swim as the warm-up is a good perspective. Sort of like why I always do the stationary bike for 15 mins before I run - the run is easier for me if I've already got some blood flowing.

Keep practicing with the pull buoy.  It's a great tool to focus on body roll.  If you are going to get lessons the sooner the better--a good teacher/coach will help you make your kick more efficient and find body balance. 

hhpvbtri - 2007-12-13 7:46 PM  Re the weight loss it's just that all or none problem I have. Either totally disciplined with food and exercise or totally not (and the two seem to go together with me - when I exercise regularly, I'm also really careful with my food and vice versa). I really have to learn how to balance better. I actually had an eating disorder in my teens so I've always struggled with the balance.

I think the all or nothing approach is common.  Fit is a lifestyle--people who work out regularly are typically good eaters.  Lazy people frequent the fast food joints.  I bridge the two groups.  Our goal as a group is to be aware of what goes in our mouths.  Nobody is perfect.  But we can all find balance without too much sacrifice.  My pop quiz this morning is an effort to get the awareness going.

hhpvbtri - 2007-12-13 7:46 PM Oh and ditto on the carcinogen thing - lost my father when he was just 63 to many things after a short lifetime of smoking - one of which was lung cancer And I could eat blue berries everyday if they didn't get so expensive out of season. I'm counting the days because FL strawberry season is almost here and I love those as well. Well I'm glad I got in your group - sounds like a good mix from reading the bios.

My dad would was a very young 57 when he died.  One thing I struggle with is that my dad lived a healthy life for the most part.  Yes, he smoked for a few years in his 20's and 30's, and he was a radiologist and I can't help but wonder if radiation exposure played a role in his cancer.  He first had it at 38, and enjoyed an 18 year remission before being diagnosed at 54 and fighting for his life for three years.  F*cking cancer.

I buy frozen blueberries and stock up when they are on sale.  Not too expensive that way.

2007-12-15 6:40 PM
in reply to: #1101292

Elite
In The Peleton

Tautery - 2007-12-13 10:31 PM I overcame a huge mental block two weeks ago. I found out that if I will myself to just keep a pace and keep going, I do in fact keep going. I will have many other accomplishments on this journey, but I doubt any will be as sweet as the day I jogged for 20 minutes without stopping. Less than 60 days before that, I couldn't run for 60 seconds. 

Awesome.  Slow and steady gets the job done.  Remember that just because it is called a "sprint" triathlon does not mean it is a short race.  We're talking well over an hour here.  You will not forget your first 20 minute jog.  That is huge.  Now you can look forward to your first 30 minute jog!

Tautery - 2007-12-13 10:31 PM I'm still new enough at this that the t-shirts and penguin medals and various other do-dads thrill me. They're proof to myself that I did this.

This will change and stay the same as you do more.  I have way too many race t-shirts.  Seriously way too many.  But I can't get enough of the race numbers and finishers medals.  I write the dates and race info on my race numbers--finish time etc. and post them on the wall.  I'm proud of every single one of 'em--the first race that I thought I would drown and have a heart attack is my second favorite--the Ironman one takes the cake though.

Tautery - 2007-12-13 10:31 PM I'm not very creative, and don't remember the specific swimming workouts. I'm following the couch to sprint workouts pretty religiously, except for the running parts. For running, I used the coolrunning.com couch to 5k, and I'm on week 7. This week I jog for 25 min, next week it will be 28, the following week 30. Then I'm done with that program, sooooo, I think I will just keep doing 30 mins, 3/week until I feel comfortable speeding it up a little? Or should I keep building a few min/week up to 50min or so? I'm thinking the keep building endurance would be better. I doubt I'm going more than 1.5 miles in my 20 min jogs, I jog pretty slow, so I should probably build to the 3.1 mile distance? 

For swims, I print out the workout I plan to do, and slap it on a wet kickboard at the end of the lane.  That is the only way I have figured out how to remember a workout.

For your running progression, look at the training plans on BT and also at: www.halhigdon.com  Hal is a running guru and has tons of great run training plans for free on his site.

Tautery - 2007-12-13 10:31 PM Speed is built on a good solid endurance foundation. I know this, but I still want to go fast NOW.

Stick with what you know on this one rather than what you want.    Don't you worry, with a solid foundation, the speed with come.

2007-12-15 6:44 PM
in reply to: #1101637

Elite
In The Peleton
daveo1101 - 2007-12-14 9:19 AM

Swimming is in my backround - I'd trade half my swim ability to pick up an equal amount in the run! - no one ever won a tri on the first leg.... but thx for the congrats.. -  it was at Crystal Lake - I didn't know Pleasant Prairie has an OWS

Nobody ever won a tri on the first leg, but they sure have lost on the first leg!

The Pleasant Prairie race was the at the end of June this year.  They had 1, 2, and 3 mile distances if I remember right.  Nice event in a beautiful spot.  It was put on by the Kenosha Barracuda swim team, hoping they will do it again in 2008.

2007-12-15 7:01 PM
in reply to: #1104019

Master
Colorado
PeterAK - 2007-12-15 4:45 PM

Regimom/Linda/Lala/SheWhoIsFasterThanBoys:

Good bio ya hippie!  You are one of those people who frustrates people like me.  You enter a race on a whim and collect hardware.  I work my azz off but have yet to get on a podium at any sort of race.  Please share your secrets (and if you are going to tell me to get pregnant just keep it to yourself).

For your 24 mtb race, have you set goals for yourself?  I'm hoping to do a 24 hour race this year, but I won't do it solo... Nope.  I'll do a relay.  Have you done a 24 hr race before?  I know a guy who did the Leadville 100 last year, sounds like it was brutal.  And fun.

Which is more important to you, the mary or the HIM?

2008 will be better than 2007.  I guarantee it. 

Race weight: I've met you.  You are skinny.  Do you really need to lose weight?  Honest question--I'm skinny myself but I was super-duper-extra skinny for IM.  I'm up almost 10 lbs from race day and totally fine with it.  Are you trying to get to a weight you were at before your clavicle break?  Tell us a bit more about this goal.

For the rest of you, if you have weight goals, want to cover XX miles on the run or bike etc., you can put tickers on your blog.  Lala has one set up for her weight and I think it's a cool tool to help benchmark your progress.

Glad to have you in the group Lala!

It's okay that I still have a crush on you, right?  I'm just not ready to give that up.

24 hr thing... Yes, I've raced in 6 24 hr races on teams and 1 I did as a duo.  You are doing one??? Awesome.  They are my favorite thing in the world.  All my favorite memories come from those.  This is my first time solo and I have some big goals for myself.  I listed out my goal lap times in my log.  Based on my racing history at that race on a team and the lap times of the women that ranked top 3 the last year or two... I'm thinking 15 laps would get me a podium spot and 16 laps would clinch it.  Realistically?  I haven't a clue.  But goals are good. 

HIM is more important for sure.  Mary, just because I want to say I've done one.

Race weight... I've put some one since I've seen you .  Damn drinking.  But, yes, my goal weight is what I raced at in 2005 and felt fantastic.  I don't want to lug any more of myself on the bike than I have to. 

Leadville 100 is interesting.  It is a lottery to get in, but I have a friend (forerunner guy if you read my race report from Winter Park) who has a friend who did it last year and I guess if you complete it, you get 5 entries for the next year.  I love epic things like that.

Peter, I think you absolutely rock and I'm glad to be in this group.  You have such positive energy and I totally feed off of that.  Thank you!

2007-12-15 7:02 PM
in reply to: #1104068

Master
Colorado
I'm going to go get lit with a friend now.  Thats part of the training program right? Please???
2007-12-15 9:18 PM
in reply to: #1104010

PeterAK - 2007-12-15 5:36 PM
daspanglers - 2007-12-15 1:53 PM

Am I going to have to separate you three?

Wheat or white toast?

Seperate us three?  Sounds interesting!

Wheat of course!

2007-12-15 11:44 PM

Colorado
Waukesha...also Big Bend. I have to go to Big Bend someday soon as a good friend of mine had a baby a year ago that I still haven't met.

I like wheat bread/toast--and the more crunchy, nutty things in it and on the crust, the better. My problem is that I just use it for transportation. (I love cheese and butter a little too much)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PeterAK's Group: THIS TREEHOUSE IS FULL!!! Rss Feed  

of 27