BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2008-01-12 7:58 PM
in reply to: #1150124

User image

Torrance, California
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL
I had a field trip for school today so that ate up most of my time, but there was quite a bit of walking around. I'm going to run before work Sunday. I feel gross, I haven't worked out since Wednesday. My Tuesday/Thursday schedule is so heinous and leaves me so tired...hopefully as I get more fit I'll have more energy because it's only 6pm and I'm thinking about going to bed already. But I'm happy I had a good ride and a few good swims this week.

2008-01-12 9:32 PM
in reply to: #1116923

Regular
Eastside Seattle WA
Thanks for the shoutout to encourage the workouts this weekend. I didn't do nearly as much as I wanted to during the week but still more than the past month. So I guess that is good.

Because I had commited to you all that I would run today, I did. I didn't want to, in fact I commited to 15 minutes and then be done if I just couldn't do any more.
I ran for 40 minutes! That was more than I was expecting. I am really trying to just increase my time to be running.

I don't LIKE running...I mean I LOVE running it is my favorite and I just can't seem to run enough

Edited by HailRunr 2008-01-13 7:57 PM
2008-01-14 10:17 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
It looks like it was an up and down weekend for most people!! THE YEAR IS STILL VERY YOUNG SO DON'T STRESS! Kim--- Great job on the run... I bet you just didn't want to go inside yesterday! It was far too nice out!!!

Here are some pics from my adventure yesterday..

http://picasaweb.google.com/swbkrun/KendallPeak113

2008-01-14 8:57 PM
in reply to: #1154470

User image

Torrance, California
Great pics, that powder looks pretty deep. I only got a run in over the weekend, but had a nice bike and swim today. I hope everyone had a great weekend and here's to a productive week.
2008-01-14 9:02 PM
in reply to: #1154470

New user

Awesome pics Steve...The first two with the fog, are incredible...They look so surreal!
2008-01-15 11:04 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Kim,

But you had so much fun running in the hail. Don't you think biking in it would be even better? Just think, little ice pellets hitting you twice as hard!

Tracy

2008-01-15 11:22 AM

User image

Pro
Thanks for the kind words... I love taking pictures of the adventures... It gives me something to remember them by, especially when I move on to the next adventure... I hope everyone has a great week! Here are a few more pictures of adventures from over the years.. Just click on any of the folders.. Some of the Ironman Hawaii one's are pretty good...

http://picasaweb.google.com/swbkrun

2008-01-15 11:29 AM

User image

Pro
Ok sorry to keep bugging... I was looking through some of my pictures and I found this one of my wife in T1 getting on the bike... Notice anything in the background???

(Oops.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Oops.jpg (56KB - 19 downloads)
2008-01-16 1:23 PM

New user

You have some great photos SWBKRUN! My husband gave me some running snowshoes for Christmas as I have been talking about trying it for a while. I haven't been able to go yet because of my calf, but hopefully I'll be able to get up into the local mountains soon.

Physio again at lunch. I am really hoping I will be able to run again soon!
2008-01-17 12:50 PM
in reply to: #1159858

User image

Pro
westendgirl - 2008-01-16 11:23 AM

You have some great photos SWBKRUN! My husband gave me some running snowshoes for Christmas as I have been talking about trying it for a while. I haven't been able to go yet because of my calf, but hopefully I'll be able to get up into the local mountains soon.

Physio again at lunch. I am really hoping I will be able to run again soon!

Be patient! Take care of your injury 1st! Hang in there!
2008-01-17 11:37 PM

User image

The triathlon I'm training for, the swim is in a pool. I have never done any organized swimming...in fact I've just taught myself how to freestyle swim recently (with a little help from a 24Hour Fitness trainer). My concern is that I don't know how to do flip turns. I've watched some videos and read descriptions, and I'm trying to practice. They are a lot more difficult than they look!

Has anyone done a triathlon swim in a pool? Is it necessary that I do flip turns? I know it would improve my time, but I don't want to fumble around and maybe kick another swimmer. Thanks for your input!

2008-01-18 5:51 PM
in reply to: #1163251

Hi, I have not done a tri in a pool but I swim a lot. Flip turns come easier as you practice them and a great flip turn video is on this web site. I watched it the other night to see if I could get some hints on making my flip tirn better. It was easy to understand and I think would be very helpfull to you. Just keep practicing.
2008-01-18 9:56 PM
in reply to: #1163251

Regular
Eastside Seattle WA
Wow, flip turns. It took me a while to learn to do them without getting completely loopy. I really got turned around trying to do them. If you have time I'd pracitce them but even more than kivciking someone I would worry about getting too dizzy. I can do them now but I didn't practice over and over, I would try for a few swims and then again a year later. I wasn't a consistent pool swimmer, I mostly OWS. Take your time and get comfortable with it. The last thing you want to do is anything that isn't comfortable. Like you wouldn't change your bike just because it is lighter just before a race. It is too different not what you are used to doing.
Just my little opinion. I have OH SO much experience you know!!!!
2008-01-19 12:19 AM

User image

Pro
Well first off let me apologize to the group!!! HAPPY FRIDAY! I missed it today! It was so busy @ work. I hope everyone has a great weekend, and find, peace, happiness, and RELAXATION! I can't wait to hear about everyone's weekend! I hopefully will be able to post some more pictures of some adventure that I hope to go on!?!?!?

In regards to your flip turn question:::: I hate to refer slowtwitch, but this will answer your question 47 times over!!!!

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1...

My plans this weekend:

Game home tonight, biked on the computrainer for an hour, had a glass of wine, and a nice dinner w/ the wife.. Saturday SNOWSHOE, followed by a ride on the Computrainer, then Poker @ a friends. Sunday will be a 8 mile trail run, followed by Dinner at some friends house!!?

2008-01-19 6:40 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
The last tri I did was a sprint in the pool and I didn't see many people doing flip turns in my time category (2 minutes for 100 yds). I was actually advised against doing them for two reasons; 1st I am in the same position as you as far as not knowing how to do them so 2: I was told it would be better for me to touch the wall and then turn so I could get an extra breath in and then a really strong push off the wall with my feet. Let me tell you, that push made all the difference for me. I was able to glide a decent distance before I had to start my stroke and that was nice.

I would advise trying to practice swimming under the lanes prior to your race. I know it is difficult to take multiple lanes like that, but if you can do this drill; do your usual down and back in the same lane, touch the wall, and then when you push off with your feet, point your body under the rope of the next lane you are suppose to advance into. That way you will come up in the next lane and already have a good start.

I learned that the hard way. I was doing my down and back, touch the wall, duck under the rope, and then push off. When I was in my 5th lap the lady behind me did the push under to rope I described above and crashed right into me! Rather embarrassing!

Hope that helps.

Tracy (tahrens)
2008-01-19 6:47 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
It is actually snowing in North Carolina! Who knew!!!!!! I thought I would be slick and get to the pool before the storm (and I use that term loosely) hit, but apparently the rest of the state had the same idea! Boy was the pool crowded.

I was trying to practice some of the swim drills I have learned from watching the videos on the website. The side swimming drill was harder than I expected. I am able to the side stroke on both sides, but that is nothing like this drill. The high elbow/fingertip drag was good (and to be honest I wasn't brave enough to practice the flip turns with that many people around :-) )

I am nervous about swimming OW and someone advised swimming with my eyes closed to get used to the sensation of less viability and practicing spotting. That was spooky and I kept crashing into the rope. Guess I have some work to do.

Hope to get out and run tomorrow.

2008-01-20 12:03 PM

User image

Torrance, California
I had planned on doing a long bike ride Saturday morning; but when I got up I discovered the dogs had uprooted a bush and dragged it into the living room. So house worked turned into yard work turned into laundry and the day was pretty much shot. I did a short run this morning, without my knee brace, and I felt pretty good. Almost no pain and I'm getting a little faster and not as winded when I finish. So, off to work I go. Hope everyone had a great weekend and got some good training in.
2008-01-20 1:51 PM

New user

Steve,
I just purchased an Atomic wetsuit on Craigs List for $30!!! Barely used. The guy I bought it from was 5'10 ish and 175. I'm 6' and 172. I tried it on, and it feels really tight. Is that just the way they are supposed to feel? Or, are they that restricted in sizing? FYI: I only have 2 Sprint Tri's scheduled where I would have to wear it.

Thanks,
Dan
2008-01-20 11:02 PM
in reply to: #1166436

User image

Pro
offwego1234 - 2008-01-20 11:51 AM

Steve,
I just purchased an Atomic wetsuit on Craigs List for $30!!! Barely used. The guy I bought it from was 5'10 ish and 175. I'm 6' and 172. I tried it on, and it feels really tight. Is that just the way they are supposed to feel? Or, are they that restricted in sizing? FYI: I only have 2 Sprint Tri's scheduled where I would have to wear it.

Thanks,
Dan

Dan,

You will be fine... It should be a feel tight, and will feel tight in the chest... With training you may drop a little weight, but overall you should be ok... Where does it feel tightest?
2008-01-21 7:21 AM
in reply to: #1165851

User image

Calgary, Canada
Subject: Snow in Calgary too
Tracy

Greetings from Calgary as we share the same white stuff. The picture was taken Saturday morning and it was -20C ( = -5F) There was a good inch of snow and more came down during the weekend. At least it covers the brown grass nicely. :-)

I have not run at all last year and was bothered by a sore left knee in November. The physiotherapist found out that my left hamstring was 25% weaker than my right, which causes the left knee instability. After strengthening the hamstring I am getting slowly back to running, but am taking it very easy to avoid re-injuring myself. Last week I did go out for 2 half hours runs with and another half on a treadmill. Does anyone have a recommendation for a treadmill? Is there anyting decent to get for $1000 or so? Thanks

(Calgary_Snow.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Calgary_Snow.jpg (27KB - 32 downloads)
2008-01-21 9:38 AM
in reply to: #1167475

User image

Torrance, California
Subject: RE: Snow in Calgary too
I have a ProForm treadmill that I bought several years ago, it was about $600. It still works great. And it folds up so I have it off to the side in my living room and just wheel it out in front of the tv so I can do my runs. I got mine at Sears, but I've seen many models at the different large sporting goods stores.

2008-01-21 5:00 PM

User image

Its beautiful, but cold, here in Portland today. I went for a gorgeous hike with my dog at Forest Park. If you ever make it to Portland, you should check out this beautiful park. Its a forest in the city. Now I'm off to the gym to meet with my trainer...I hope you're all having a peaceful Martin Luther King Day! Thanks for the support and encouragement.
2008-01-21 11:00 PM

Regular
Eastside Seattle WA
I had a really fun bike ride today. We took the kids to a trail about 10 miles from home (Redmond Watershed off Novelty Hill for those that know it) and let them bike ride. Meredith (4) is so cute with her little training wheels. She had fun going up and down the hills. My husband and I walked with her and we were on a paved trail. The boys went with their uncle who is visiting us for the weekend and did some mountain biking. I took them last summer and had a blast. When the boys got back I told my husband I wish I had my bike because I would take it home. He said have at it, take my bike. So I did. I went through the mountain bike trails 2.5 miles and then onto the country roads.

It was REALLY hilly. It was pretty hard with the mountain bike but it was fun. I had a couple of hills I wasn't sure I could make it up but I did. I also did this without my ipod which is a major miracle!!! I am glad to be able to do more without it. The first 10 minutes is the hardest and then I seem to get in a rhythm.

I am really not a solitude person. I don't normally enjoy being by myself. I know everyone says it takes time. Is it that I don't like myself? Am I flawed in some subconscious way? Is there a psychotherapist who would like to tackle this one?

So there you go. My ride: NO RAIN, NO HAIL, just plenty of sunshine and about 40 degrees. It was really about 3 minutes after we mentioned it and I took off. I didn't want anyone changing their mind about mommy taking off and leaving the 3 amigos with the daddies for an extended period of time.

Pretty hard ride but a lot of fun.

Edited by HailRunr 2008-01-21 11:02 PM
2008-01-22 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Kim,

I applaud your gumpsion to take off and leave the family. I have the same problem, when I am out with family I always feel guilty about leaving them. Good for you! Road hills on a mountain bike are no fun- you go girl!

Tracy
2008-01-22 9:57 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I found a photo of myself from a race last year. You can't see my face that well, but I at least LOOK like I am kicking but!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - FULL Rss Feed  

of 10