BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's New Manatees - FULL! :-) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2009-03-23 6:40 PM
in reply to: #1859524

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's New Manatees - FULL! :-)
Hang in there, Steve. We're all thinking of you and your family. And the motivation *will* come back.

I've been a bit MIA myself for the past few weeks. Work's been hugely stressful -- we're waiting for the company to announce some major layoffs -- and it's been hard just to make time to do a bare minimum of running. But I keep reminding myself that even though it feels like I'm slacking, I'm still getting a lot more exercise than I was two or three years ago (and a lot more than most people out there).

Since it's officially spring, seems like it might be a good time to check in on everybody's race plans. I've got two races coming up this weekend -- a 10k and a 10-miler. I'm not in any shape to race both of them, so I'm planning to hit the 10k as hard as I can and treat the 10-miler as a training run. We'll see how that works out. Heh.

What about everyone else? When are your first races of the tri season?

2009-03-25 10:10 PM
in reply to: #2035630

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Fielding - 2009-03-23 7:40 PM Hang in there, Steve. We're all thinking of you and your family. And the motivation *will* come back. I've been a bit MIA myself for the past few weeks. Work's been hugely stressful -- we're waiting for the company to announce some major layoffs -- and it's been hard just to make time to do a bare minimum of running. But I keep reminding myself that even though it feels like I'm slacking, I'm still getting a lot more exercise than I was two or three years ago (and a lot more than most people out there). Since it's officially spring, seems like it might be a good time to check in on everybody's race plans. I've got two races coming up this weekend -- a 10k and a 10-miler. I'm not in any shape to race both of them, so I'm planning to hit the 10k as hard as I can and treat the 10-miler as a training run. We'll see how that works out. Heh. What about everyone else? When are your first races of the tri season?

Great to hear from you Erin!  so sorry work is stressful - this seems to be the case for many of us right now!

speaking for myself, it is impacting my training as well - great perspective on the fact that you are exercising more than before and more than the average - keep that front of mind

other manatees - how's it going?

can we help in any way?

2009-03-25 10:12 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

so about upcoming races - this has been a quandry for me this year -

here's from my blog, cuz i'm lazy efficient like that

i'd love your input!

i've had a hard time figuring out what races to do - a big part of the reason for this is not knowing the 'lay of the land' - this is everything from - where is the race, to what is the venue -

also mixed in this equation, is the fact that several key pieces of biking equipment are in storage - long story, but the short version is the movers f'd up and put my helmet, pump, glasses, gloves into storage - not uber expensive, but not cheap to replace either

i've really started to enjoy running - and have been making a lot of progress in that area and would like to keep working on it (yes, i know - this comes from the gal that 'hated' running 2 years ago - truth to be told, it's been really empowering to overcome this limiter

will i ever be the fastest - no, do i care? NO!

so, back to the plan

i am having a lot of anxiety about just signing up for a race that i know nothing about - the water part in particular - river, ocean, lake? not so much a question in nebraska or iowa, i don't have a wetsuit, and it's not in the budget to buy one

soooo, here's what i'm thinking

i'm not going to do any tri's this season, but............

i am going to volunteer for a few races in the area that seem promising - this way i can check out the venue, have an opportunity to meet people, and be a part of the tri community without totally stressing out - i actually think i'll have better success meeting people as a volunteer than as a participant

- i'll feel much better about the races next year, knowing what they are like - especially the swim, i'm sort of a freak about water safety - it's the lifeguard in me, it will never die

so, i am going to focus on running - with a goal to do Phily Marathon in Nov (do things come full circle or what? ) - a couple of 1/2 marys this summer will give me some focus

i talked to dr magic hands tonight about this and he thinks a marathon is totally in my future if i don't have huge physical breakdowns after another 1 or 2 1/2 marys - he's going to help me keep my body in mind as i pursue this as a goal

this is the plan for now, if i start falling apart physically - i will regroup and figure something else out

thanks for listening

2009-03-26 3:00 AM
in reply to: #2040649

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
That sounds like a fantastic plan, Beth! I LOVE that you're seriously thinking about a marathon!! You have come so far with your running and I'm so so so impressed. You're really amazing.

I love the idea of volunteering at some triathlons in your area. That'll keep you hooked into the tri community and at the same time help you ease back into racing. You might not want to totally rule out a late-season tri -- if you can get a good feel for the venues, maybe you'll find a race toward the end of summer that looks doable. And if not, no big deal. There's always next year, and the running will keep you busy enough!
2009-03-26 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2040799

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Erin...you are a reporter right???

How come you guys have not covered the news flash....."Hell has FROZEN over"  (i.e. Beth loves running and is considering a MARATHON)

Next thing you know...I will LOVE swimming.

Atta Girl.

Steve

2009-03-26 1:22 PM
in reply to: #2040799

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Fielding - 2009-03-26 4:00 AM That sounds like a fantastic plan, Beth! I LOVE that you're seriously thinking about a marathon!! You have come so far with your running and I'm so so so impressed. You're really amazing. I love the idea of volunteering at some triathlons in your area. That'll keep you hooked into the tri community and at the same time help you ease back into racing. You might not want to totally rule out a late-season tri -- if you can get a good feel for the venues, maybe you'll find a race toward the end of summer that looks doable. And if not, no big deal. There's always next year, and the running will keep you busy enough!

thanks Erin!

I feel pretty good about it, now I just need to find a race

the other thing is that with how crazy work is lately - the thought of trying to fit in all the disciplines on a consistent basis was really starting ot stress me out - this way, that won't be a factor

in other news, i just sent my info in to volunteer for 2 area events

2009-03-26 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2041878

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
lastcall2003 - 2009-03-26 11:22 AM

the other thing is that with how crazy work is lately - the thought of trying to fit in all the disciplines on a consistent basis was really starting ot stress me out - this way, that won't be a factor

in other news, i just sent my info in to volunteer for 2 area events

Wow, do I ever hear you on that. When training becomes stressful I know it's time to dial it down a bit -- this is supposed to be *fun*, right? But it's all I can do to keep up a regular running regimen right now, with work making me so crazy. The very thought of adding in swimming and biking is totally overwhelming. Good for you, recognizing your limitations and working with them -- seriously, volunteering is such a great compromise.

I might just have to do the same...
2009-03-27 1:50 AM

User image

Master
Utah
So, I don't recall how much I have said in this group's presence about my funky schedule with kids in and out of school every few weeks, and the hubby traveling as well. I have to confess that even with my husband gone the last 2 plus weeks, and my 6 year old out of school the last 3 weeks, and working more hours than I used to, I had been doing really well with sticking to the plan and getting my runs in, and had even been able to start adding in swim and a teensy bit of biking. That is, I was doing really well until this week. Everything has kind of, well, started to fall apart. I have missed almost half of the planned workouts this week, I haven't been able to sleep at night (or stay awake until noon or later...) , I am feeling pretty emotional, my atrial fib has been acting up, and I am just dragging in general. I am stressing out because it doesn't look like I will meet my goals for my challenge team this month. I don't like to feel like I am letting others down. I even on bailed plans I had with a friend today with some lame excuse about the snowstorm we were having. I am so frustrated with myself. 
2009-03-27 2:22 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Amy darling,

Where you have failed is not where you think you have--your failure was to not take it easy on yourself. Everyone's going to have an off week, and most of it was out of your control. It just is what it is, and you are an amazing, strong lady. Just pick back up where you can and take it from here. I'm amazed people with young children get anything done, ever. That in itself is a full-time+ job!

2009-03-27 7:58 AM
in reply to: #2043253

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Amy...Beth and I discussed this the other day.  I have always worked 2 jobs...firefighter 24hrs on/48hrs off) and a second job on those "off" days.  I did this for my entire 30 years but I was able to take off and "do stuff" pretty much whenever I wanted.  Now that I am retired I also have the time to get stuff accomplished.

However...I spent 2 years teaching at our Fire Academy on a 40 hour week.  I never did figure out how people got stuff done.  Going to the Doctor, getting the grass cut...etc..  throw in the 3 kids we had and it is no wonder that all I did for myself was run...because I could do that at night or at the crack of stupid in the A.M.

I really admire people who put in the needed training hours combined with their jobs and families.  It is really impressive to see some of the logs of the BT'ers who can manage their lives like that.....of course in my ADHD world...I don't admire it for very long...oh look...there goes a kitty... 

Don't be so hard on yourself about a week here and there.  You can make that up...and if you don't...oh well. 

Have a great weekend Manatees and I hope you have some good spring weather to train in.

Steve

2009-03-27 2:23 PM

User image

Master
Utah
Thanks guys. I think sometimes we don't realize that we are being too tough on ourselves, we just feel the weight of it all. At least that's where I am at right now. 

2009-03-27 10:40 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

i have it on pretty good authority that a certain manatee has a b-day tomorrow

Happy Birthday Amy!

2009-03-28 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2045263

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Happy Birthday Amy.

Hope it is a great day for you.

Steve

2009-03-28 8:15 PM

User image

Master
Utah
Thanks guys!
2009-03-30 8:42 PM

User image

Expert
WV

Man, I don't have interent access for a few days...okay 4 to be exact...and a discussion about training and work/family commitments comes along.  I so need to work on this.

I know my life in academics is a little more flexible than most.  But, I still struggle... A LOT!!  But, a buddy has suggested that I schedule my workouts like meetings.  I wouldn't miss a meeting with administration, student, or research team so by actually scheduling it that way on my door my usual distraction, pop-in students, will learn to respect this time slot as will I.  

I ffel you Beth.  I too am stuggling with my schedule.  Things have already been dropped.  I have pushed out my 1/2 at the end of April.  I don't feel I will be ready.  I have one more mid-week set of meetings.  This travel stuff is harder to figure out a workout schedule when they pack lots of meetings into a day.

2009-03-30 8:42 PM

User image

Expert
WV

Man, I don't have interent access for a few days...okay 4 to be exact...and a discussion about training and work/family commitments comes along.  I so need to work on this.

I know my life in academics is a little more flexible than most.  But, I still struggle... A LOT!!  But, a buddy has suggested that I schedule my workouts like meetings.  I wouldn't miss a meeting with administration, student, or research team so by actually scheduling it that way on my door my usual distraction, pop-in students, will learn to respect this time slot as will I.  

I ffel you Beth.  I too am stuggling with my schedule.  Things have already been dropped.  I have pushed out my 1/2 at the end of April.  I don't feel I will be ready.  I have one more mid-week set of meetings.  This travel stuff is harder to figure out a workout schedule when they pack lots of meetings into a day.

2009-03-31 9:10 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Hey Manatees

I have some sad news to share

Steve's MIL passed away yesterday morning -

I'm sure he could use some warm manatee thoughts

2009-04-05 10:06 PM

User image

Expert
WV
tap....tap....ahem...testing.  testing.  Hello?  Is anyone home?
2009-04-06 7:58 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Hi Suzie!

it sure has been quiet in here lately -

Helllllllooooooooooo??????
2009-04-06 8:00 AM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
I thought I would share an entry from my log about this weekend's run - i'm building in the 1/2 mary plan and did 5 miles on Saturday

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the approach to the intervals from all you runner peeps

that felt freakin' awesome!!!!  i think that is the best i've ever, ever felt during a run!  i just felt strong, my body felt great - my shoulder feels so awesome, i really had no idea how locked up it was.  to me, if it didn't hurt it was ok - it's a strange kind of freedom, hard to describe - but my form feels much more relaxed and my body feels more fluid

based on my observations from my last treadmill run, i did the run intervals at a faster pace and just stayed steady, rather than increasing the run pace throughout the run.  i found myself impatient during the walk intervals - i couldn't wait for them to be over so i could do the run interval - yes, you are in the right place .  i stuck with the 2:2 interval plan though, because i know that's what is best for my body right now.

it was such a good run, that i didn't even really mind the fact there was no eye candy playing raquetball or the odd couple that usually plays on sunday afternoon - they crack me up,  one of those couples that makes you go hmmmmmmmmmm -

today i felt a transformation begin -i feel like i'm turning from a walker who does run intervals to a runner that does walk intervals

i'm going to do one more week of 2:2 intervals and then move to 3:1

2009-04-06 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2049876

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Dr Hammer - 2009-03-30 9:42 PM

How did I miss this?  I love the idea of scheduling a workout like a meeting

I actuall did some 'boss' management this past week

he rescheduled a meeting to 4:30 pm - i had a run planned after work and b4 soccer, so not a lot of time to begin with

so, i did not accept

instead i proposed a time the next day - which happened to be lunch time, but i rarely take a lunch and he never does, so it worked out fine

i got my run in, got to soccer and all was good

2009-04-06 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2064995

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

I think your approach to the intervals is perfect...why?...because it works for YOU.   Anything that gets you to moving and running works but if it helps you keep/improve a sustained pace then you are building fitness and endurance.  That is going to translate into the ability to go longer and eventually the ability to train longer AND faster.

As far as the ratio...that is an individual thing, based on your fitness level but I think what you are doing now is just right.

One thing you might want to throw in is a "time trial" about once every 2 weeks.  Something short...say 2 miles and do it completely running with no breaks if you can.  Keep a record of this and watch the times fall as your fitness improves...even though you are not working on speed, per se, you will see an improvement.

Some GREAT reading on the subject of the Run/Walk theories and stratagies in running check out books by Jeff Galloway.  Former Olympian who is a huge supporter of this type of training as well as racing.

Susan (sahooper) and I used this approach in Disney in Jan and it worked like a charm.

Hey...wait....there is an idea!!!  Beth, you can use it when you do Disney next January.     

(yes fellow Manatees...I am trying to talk Beth into joining us for a weekend at Disney...with a MARATHON thrown in   Please use all your powers to help me with this goal....all of you other Manatees can join us as well.)

Steve

2009-04-06 4:20 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Hi Manatees! Thank you all and Beth so much for inspiring one another and keeping the thread up!

I've been busy busy busy--helped these guys set a world record by opening my home up to them and jockstrapping their ultramarathon here in Los Angeles. I've also been continuing to fight fatigue, but had some change in my medications and it seems to be going well, but also had a nasty cold in between! Yuck!

Training is going so-so. I'm doing the best I can, which is actually about what's on the Just-Finish plan of the training book I'm following, so it's enough. I'm actually aiming to follow the Competitive plan, so I'm slowly getting up to that level of training.

I also jockstrapped for Oceanside 70.3 this last weekend and it was a blast! It's just as tiring 'strapping as it is racing, though! 
2009-04-07 6:20 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Our dear sweet Manatees,

It's that time when we're moving on to a new season of mentorees (Manatees!), but once a manatee, always a manatee! By this time you guys have picked up invaluable training and race experience, and Beth and I have learned so very much from all of you. You have meant SO MUCH to us.

We would love to have you on board so that we can continue supporting each other as well as welcoming a new crew of manatees. Our "newest" manatees thread is here, if you would like to continue on the journey:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=153521&posts=1#M2069346
2009-04-07 7:02 PM
in reply to: #2069361

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

TriAya - 2009-04-07 4:20 PM Our dear sweet Manatees,

It's that time when we're moving on to a new season of mentorees (Manatees!), but once a manatee, always a manatee! By this time you guys have picked up invaluable training and race experience, and Beth and I have learned so very much from all of you. You have meant SO MUCH to us.

We would love to have you on board so that we can continue supporting each other as well as welcoming a new crew of manatees. Our "newest" manatees thread is here, if you would like to continue on the journey:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=153521&posts=1#M2069346

What?! Already??

I know I was not too active here on the board lately - at least as much as I would have liked to. Work, home and other commitment took (and still are taking) a lot of my spare time.

I would like to thank everyone for their continuing support, inspires, suggestions, advice and good, positive thoughts. I wish you all good luck in your active life, success in achieving your goals and injury free/healthy journey fulfilling your dreams.

Thank you all,

Ronen.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's New Manatees - FULL! :-) Rss Feed  

of 31