BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2010-06-14 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2919630

User image

Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED!
carrie639 - 2010-06-14 10:09 AM Here is my race report.

US Women's Racing Series - Naperville Triathlon

I guess the short story is that my run really sucked, but I am not disappointed because I did really well in the swim and hammered the bike.

I have a nice little bruise below my right eye from getting kicked right off into the swim.  Don't worry I stuck in there and passed her

So not sure what to do about the run.  I don't think that if I let up on the bike that I would've gained more on the run than I would've  given up on the bike.  Maybe because I am athena, I needed a gu gel by second lap on the bike rather than waiting till t2?  I was lagging a little on the 2nd lap of the bike, but I felt really good coming out of t2 for the run.  Not sure what happened on the run (it was flat and not warm), but by under a half mile I was having a hard time. and walked about 1/3. Ran last mile, so at least felt good about that.  You walk a finish with people lining the chute right?

Got another sprint in 2 weeks, similar type course.  Any thoughts?

Thanks for all the encouragement.

Carrie

Race nutrition: 
Gu 20-25 minutes before swim
Gu in t1
Gu in t2
Gatorade on bike and on run

Nice race Carrie.
For your run question, I found over the years that doing bricks is the best way to make your body comfortable running after biking. Even when I do not have time to do a full brick training, I do a small 1km run after my bike rides. It does not have to be long, you just have to do it.

2010-06-15 7:18 AM
in reply to: #2770190

User image

Sorry I have been missing in action, have alot of family visiting from England right now, sounds like everyone did great in their races congrats to all. Heading to the beach for a week with family so I know the training will suffer, but will do what I can. After my bike ride last weekend I could not imagine running 13.1 so I have alot of work to do still have 10 weeks til the taper week after vacation so should be doable
2010-06-15 9:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
carrie639 - 2010-06-14 6:09 AM Here is my race report.

I guess the short story is that my run really sucked, but I am not disappointed because I did really well in the swim and hammered the bike.

I have a nice little bruise below my right eye from getting kicked right off into the swim.  Don't worry I stuck in there and passed her

So not sure what to do about the run.  I don't think that if I let up on the bike that I would've gained more on the run than I would've  given up on the bike.  Maybe because I am athena, I needed a gu gel by second lap on the bike rather than waiting till t2?  I was lagging a little on the 2nd lap of the bike, but I felt really good coming out of t2 for the run.  Not sure what happened on the run (it was flat and not warm), but by under a half mile I was having a hard time. and walked about 1/3. Ran last mile, so at least felt good about that.  You walk a finish with people lining the chute right?

Carrie

Race nutrition: 
Gu in t1
Gu in t2

Congratulations on the race, Carrie!  I think you did great--and even if you weren't thrilled with the run, a lot of people run that time in a standalone 5k without the swim and the bike!

I agree with Neal...you just need more consistent time on your feet.  Running is a perfectly natural human activity.  Some of us (myself in particular) will never be speedy, but that doesn't mean we can't run.  It just takes a lot of time performing the activity before it gets a bit easier.

Congrats again!
2010-06-15 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2921326

User image

Veteran
Fresno, CA
QueenZipp - 2010-06-14 3:16 PM I am pulling out of my sprint on the 27th.  Asked to be switched to a different sprint in August, RD will do it for health reasons. Just want to be sure this garbage is over before I race again.  Sad, this is my favorite race.  I did offer to volunteer it though.

Still strongly considering withdrawing from the HIM.  If I can't tolerate the build there's no way I can safely race the distance.  I have to understand the difference between what I "can" do and what I am able to do/ should do....doesn't particularly make me happy but I think it may be the wiser choice.

Haven't emailed about the HIM yet, I will wait until I see the pulmonary guy I was referred to today.

I'm really sorry to hear about your travails, Judi.  I know how hard it must be for you to make decisions like this--but I'm totally in awe of the fact that you are honoring your body and doing what will be best in the long term.  I'm sure these choices will pay dividends in the long run.  And please know that you remain an inspiration to all you come in contact with.  You rock!
2010-06-15 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2921326

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
I'd say unless you are trying to get some money back from the HIM signed up or there is a time limit, leave it out there, but don't let it mentally destroy you.  If you can get over your health stuff and get back to training then maybe you can do it.

I dropped my HIM because I knew I couldn't get prepared for the run.  In the end, I did get about $75 back, but the issue for me was more the weight on my shoulders of trying to get prepared for the run knowing it was close to impossible.  Dropping it was the best thing I could have done.  I feel better and I am having fun, worry-free.

BTW, wore that xterra full this weekend and rocked!!!
2010-06-15 11:46 AM
in reply to: #2919071

User image

Expert
disturbed275 - 2010-06-13 8:11 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun.  Glad the entire event was able to be completed.

I've always wanted to do a relay race like that.  I'm pretty sure there's nothing like that around here...

I definitely was a lot of fun!  I would love to do it again next year... though there are others around the country that also seem fun (such as the Hood to Coast).  It was very convenient that this one was basically driving up to Madison then running home.

To be fair, you guys have RAGBRAI, wish looks like an awesome time.  I would love to do that one year, but that would require taking a week off of work... And I'd probably want to take another week off just to recover!

2010-06-15 11:47 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
I can't get in to see the pulmonary guys for another MONTH

I spent the morning in the ER with a migraine, puking my guts up.  I have yet to be able to consume more than 3 bites of any food today.

I haven't had a full night of sleep for a month.

It is ludicrous for me to consider training for anything long this season.
2010-06-15 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
carrie639 - 2010-06-14 8:09 AM Here is my race report.

Carrie

Race nutrition: 
Gu in t1
Gu in t2

I'm sorry the run didn't go so well for you.  Do you only have problems with the run after biking, or does just running in general give you problems? 

I don't know if this will help, but last year I was totally fine running by itself, but could not for the life of me run after biking.  Then someone suggested that I should be spinning at a really fast cadence (>90) in a low gear for maybe the last 5-10 minutes of your bike ride.  Doing that really helps me to find a perfect rhythm for my run coming off the bike. 
2010-06-15 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2922914

User image

Expert
QueenZipp - 2010-06-15 11:47 AM I can't get in to see the pulmonary guys for another MONTH

I spent the morning in the ER with a migraine, puking my guts up.  I have yet to be able to consume more than 3 bites of any food today.

Yikes, I'm sorry you're feeling so ill Judi.  That's rough
2010-06-15 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
QueenZipp - 2010-06-15 11:47 AM I can't get in to see the pulmonary guys for another MONTH

So sorry to hear you are feeling this bad.  I knew it was bad, but this is BAD.  I was hoping you could recover and still train for your HIM, but that sounds like it would be tough.  Hang in there.
2010-06-15 4:25 PM
in reply to: #2922929

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
I actually struggle with running in general.  Thing is I felt really good jogging out of transition (which normally would feel likeyou have cement blocks on your feet), then there was a little uphill to get to the street and that did me in.

I changed my cadence this year to spin 90+ so I am always spinning higher (unless this hills give me fits), probably around 95-100.  Last year I spun at about 60-70 which just killed me.

2010-06-15 8:05 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA

Scary stuff, Judi PM sent
2010-06-15 8:06 PM
in reply to: #2922137

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
fungi32 - 2010-06-15 7:18 AM Sorry I have been missing in action, have alot of family visiting from England right now, sounds like everyone did great in their races congrats to all. Heading to the beach for a week with family so I know the training will suffer, but will do what I can. After my bike ride last weekend I could not imagine running 13.1 so I have alot of work to do still have 10 weeks til the taper week after vacation so should be doable

10 weeks is a lot of time to get some solid work in.  Enjoy your time at the beach!
2010-06-15 8:24 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Thanks everyone.....feel a bit better this evening.  Guess all the drugs they gave me this morning finally kicked in, that and I spent half my day sleeping off those drugs. (will I still sleep tonight remains to be seen)  Managed to get some food in too.

I plan on withdrawing from the HIM, just not in the cards this year.  If I can salvage the season with a couple of sprints and the oly I have planned it will be okay.  Even if I can't pull them off my life will go on and I will be okay. 

Not planning anything but yoga this week, taking it week by week until I'm 100%.  I want to ride my bike more than anything these days.....but I will wait until it's safe for me to get out there.
2010-06-15 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2922137

User image

Veteran
I'm starting my training for second HIM Patriot.  That the one on your plan too.  Sound be a fun summer.
2010-06-15 9:51 PM
in reply to: #2924184

User image

Veteran
Great news that your feeling better.  Rest, heal, and recover.  

2010-06-15 10:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Starting my second season next week.  I'm looking to adjust some stuff.  First I need to recover my back.  I going to start doing my own yoga routine that incorporates some back exercises from my back Dr.  I started on Monday, but I'm  not sure how ofter to do it. Going to start with every other day.   Next I'm going to get a nutrition consult to dial in my nutrition.  I'm looking to drop a little more weight and improve my food choices both normal eating and racing.  Finally, I'm going to focus on my running with more effort on both the long and short workouts and bricks. I'm going to drop the strength training, but I plan to attend the core and stretching classes. 

Still evaluating signing up for IM CDA in 2011.  2011 was my IM goal, but June seems early to me.  Doing the team race helps by making sure the training periods match my race.   Additionally, I like training in the winter so that works good too.  
2010-06-16 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2923819

User image

Expert
carrie639 - 2010-06-15 4:25 PM I actually struggle with running in general.  Thing is I felt really good jogging out of transition (which normally would feel likeyou have cement blocks on your feet), then there was a little uphill to get to the street and that did me in.

I changed my cadence this year to spin 90+ so I am always spinning higher (unless this hills give me fits), probably around 95-100.  Last year I spun at about 60-70 which just killed me.

Do you wear a heart rate monitor or anything like that?  I used to not be able to run longer than 5 minutes without having to walk, then I bought a hrm, and found out I was always running way too fast.  So then instead of focusing on how long/far/fast I was running, I started concentrating on keeping my heart rate within the aerobic range during my runs.  I had to slow down considerably at first and even take walking breaks to make sure my HR didn't go too high but after a few month of doing that, I was able to go much longer, further, and faster without having to walk.  That also helped with shin splints, since I stopped getting them once I started heart rate training (not sure if that was the direct solution or if there were other reasons, but I used to hate running because of my shins).

Not sure if I'm just rambling at this point, but training by heart rate changed me from hating & being horrible at running to having it be my favorite sport out of the 3. 
2010-06-16 10:23 AM
in reply to: #2924184

User image

Expert
QueenZipp - 2010-06-15 8:24 PM Thanks everyone.....feel a bit better this evening.  Guess all the drugs they gave me this morning finally kicked in, that and I spent half my day sleeping off those drugs. (will I still sleep tonight remains to be seen)  Managed to get some food in too.

I plan on withdrawing from the HIM, just not in the cards this year.  If I can salvage the season with a couple of sprints and the oly I have planned it will be okay.  Even if I can't pull them off my life will go on and I will be okay. 

Not planning anything but yoga this week, taking it week by week until I'm 100%.  I want to ride my bike more than anything these days.....but I will wait until it's safe for me to get out there.

I'm glad you're feeling better.  That's disappointing, but HIM's will still be around next year, and the next, so it's smart to just take care of yourself so that you get better and are able to do them in the future!
2010-06-16 5:48 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

So far I have successfully changed my sprint from 6/27 to   8/22.  I emailed setup about the HIM today.  I am hopeful they will allow me to switch events.

I survived going back to work too.

2010-06-16 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2926653

User image

Master
Elgin, IL
OMG guys, literally almost bit the dust tonight on the bike, in a very horrifying way.

Was on a straight away coming home, pretty close to the white line when I heard a really loud screech that I knew was right on top of me.  It was absolutely amazing I didn't bite it since I was in the aero bars going 20+. By the time I got out of the bars and turned around to look, he at that point was about 15-20 feet behind me.  My heart was just racing . . .  He never yelled at me or beeped his horn, which tells me he just plain wasn't paying attention.

Then almost home crossing a busy street on green, the left turn from the other direction almost turned into me . . .

Just not my day.  Not sure riding at 7pm is a good idea.  I was wearing black or gray, maybe I should wear brighter colors?  Maybe need to rethink that route in the future.

2010-06-17 5:49 AM
in reply to: #2926927

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
carrie639 - 2010-06-16 8:46 PM OMG guys, literally almost bit the dust tonight on the bike, in a very horrifying way.

Was on a straight away coming home, pretty close to the white line when I heard a really loud screech that I knew was right on top of me.  It was absolutely amazing I didn't bite it since I was in the aero bars going 20+. By the time I got out of the bars and turned around to look, he at that point was about 15-20 feet behind me.  My heart was just racing . . .  He never yelled at me or beeped his horn, which tells me he just plain wasn't paying attention.

Then almost home crossing a busy street on green, the left turn from the other direction almost turned into me . . .

Just not my day.  Not sure riding at 7pm is a good idea.  I was wearing black or gray, maybe I should wear brighter colors?  Maybe need to rethink that route in the future.

WOW, close call!  Glad you made it home in one piece!  I have worn red and not been seen.  That's why I don't really ride aero unless it's a race or closed loop.
2010-06-17 6:16 AM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
carrie639 - 2010-06-16 8:46 PM OMG guys, literally almost bit the dust tonight on the bike, in a very horrifying way.

Glad to hear you are alright.  Those incidents can be scary!

Bright colors will help some, but there will still be those drivers that are distracted and not paying a bit of attention to the road.  Just gotta cross your fingers and pray....
2010-06-17 8:35 AM

User image

Expert

Wow!  Glad you are ok.  Be careful out there.  I had some cars whizz by me pretty close Tuesday, but nothing of this nature.  Bright clothes and time of day can help, but like Neal said, some people just don't pay attention and nothing you do will make a difference. 
2010-06-17 11:03 AM

User image

Expert

How scary!!  I'm glad you made it back ok!  I agree with others that sometimes people just aren't paying attention so it's hard to prevent things that like that

I actually had a bad biking day yesterday myself!  I've been riding my bike to work everyday for the last 2 weeks with no incident and yesterday on my way home from work, I got into 2 incidents!  The first one, I was biking on a street with a bike lane, when another cyclist started crossing the street in the middle of a block (not at a cross walk or intersection).  He stuck his wheel out so that it was completely blocking my bike lane, but his head was turned the other direction!  I screamed at him while braking (couldn't swerve since there were moving cars to the left of me and parked cars to my right), and he finally turned head just in time for me to t-bone him.  Of course he apologized since it was completely his fault, and I'd seen it coming from far enough away that I was braked & reduced speed significantly.  So luckily neither of us got hurt and our bikes were both fine since I'd slowed enough that I didn't even knock him over when I hit him. 

The second incident happened when I was almost home...  I was coming up to a stop sign, and there was a line of cars.  What I usually do is time it so that I'm going across the intersection at the same time as a car so that the flow of traffic isn't interrupted and I have less chance of being hit going across since they'd have to hit the car I was following first.  So the first car in front was stopped and he didn't have his blinkers on, so I slowed just until it was his turn to go, at which point I started crossing straight across the intersection with him (or so I thought).  But then he starts to turn, then stops and honks at me.  By that point I was already halfway across the intersection and still frazzled from the earlier incident, so I just yelled "Use your blinker, not your horn!" at him.  I don't know if he heard me.

For what it's worth, I was wearing bright blue.  I was thinking of getting a yellow or orange glowy safety vest to ride while I'm commuting, though.  Not sure how much it would have helped though since my first incident the guy wasn't even looking my direction, and the second he wasn't paying enough attention to even use his turn signal.

Edited by yogachic 2010-06-17 11:03 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 46