BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-05-21 5:16 PM
in reply to: #3511334

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!
Viyoung - 2011-05-21 1:41 PM Hey hope everyone is having a good weekend. Just got back from 9.5 mi on the new bike. I only fell once! Yea for progress! Its a beautiful day here in Maryland so I'm off to enjoy the rest of it with my family. Have a good one!

I hope next time you have no falls Vivian!  Glad you are having a good time!

2011-05-21 5:18 PM
in reply to: #3511063

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
shake-n-bake - 2011-05-21 8:00 AM Good Luck to all that are racing this weekend..Hope everyone has a great weekend....

Thanks!

Race went well this morning!  Hilly trail run on a muddy path, but considering the weather we have been having it wasn't too bad!

X's 2 on the great weekend everyone!
2011-05-22 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Holy cow! We were almost at the bottom!

Did a short race report for yesterdays race, you can click on it from my page but it is probably one of the shortest ones I have done.

13.5 miles run this morning, legs felt the race a little but not too bad!

How is everyone's weekend going?
2011-05-22 11:09 AM
in reply to: #3512154

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

kenj - 2011-05-22 10:20 AM Holy cow! We were almost at the bottom!

Did a short race report for yesterdays race, you can click on it from my page but it is probably one of the shortest ones I have done.

Cool a double duathlon! Good pratice for transitions I would think.  Great job beating last year's time!

My workout got waylaid yesterday due to crappy weather (again) and working on the house. Less than 2 weeks before it goes on the market - uggh!  Hope to get  around an hour run in today.

2011-05-22 1:01 PM
in reply to: #3512189

User image

Expert
robingray_260 - 2011-05-22 12:09 PM

Cool a double duathlon! Good pratice for transitions I would think.  Great job beating last year's time!

My workout got waylaid yesterday due to crappy weather (again) and working on the house. Less than 2 weeks before it goes on the market - uggh!  Hope to get  around an hour run in today.

Getting a house ready to go on the market is an awful lot of work, and is one of those jobs that seems never ending. Best of luck to you, and I hope you get that run in!  It would be good for you mentally I think.

Great job on your race Ken! Good transition practice.

On a very personal level, yesterday was one of the best days of my life. My oldest son graduated from college. More comments and a couple of pictures on my training log if anyone is interested.

I was actually not too far from Ken's race. I would have liked to join him and race, but believe it or not, the graduation started at 8:30 AM. I did manage to train a little over the weekend.

Hope everyone's weekend went well!

2011-05-22 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
Hey gang,

10k run for this morning.

No work tomorrow, so hopefully, either another run or bike, depending on weather.

Thinking about buying a trainer? Any comments, positive or negative...

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-05-22 2:04 PM

2011-05-22 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3512352

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
GoGoGo - 2011-05-22 3:01 PM Hey gang,

No work tomorrow, so hopefully, either another run or bike, depending on weather.

I like using the trainer so much I have 2.  Innocent

Considering where you live I am kind of surprised you don't already have one.  Between the shorter days in the late fall, winter and early spring it helps during the week, plus around here in the winter it allows me to ride all winter long.

But, even in good weather there is value in using a trainer as it is easier, for me anyways, to do the higher intensity work.

I highly recommend either the Cyclops Fluid 2 or better or the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine or better.  While you can still get a good workout from most any trainer, these I find are more consistent to the road and being fluid they are much quieter.  You can also get a computrainer, which I would like to some day, as they is computer based as the name implies and you can do a variety of pre-planned workouts or mimic certain rides.  I think Ice either has one or access to one and can give some better feed back.

But if you don't want to spend a lot, the 2 I mentioned are going to be about $250.00 - $300.00 give or take, you can still get a good workout from the magnetic ones.

2011-05-22 3:46 PM
in reply to: #3512291

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
amschrod - 2011-05-22 2:01 PM

Getting a house ready to go on the market is an awful lot of work, and is one of those jobs that seems never ending. Best of luck to you, and I hope you get that run in!  It would be good for you mentally I think.

On a very personal level, yesterday was one of the best days of my life. My oldest son graduated from college. More comments and a couple of pictures on my training log if anyone is interested.

I was actually not too far from Ken's race. I would have liked to join him and race, but believe it or not, the graduation started at 8:30 AM. I did manage to train a little over the weekend.

About 10 miles, give or take!  Congrats to your son and to you as well!  Not an easy school!  A lot to be proud of Anthony!
2011-05-22 10:11 PM
in reply to: #3512291

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
amschrod - 2011-05-22 12:01 PM

Congrats to your son!  The pics you posted of the race were great. To bad there aren't eny of you. Looked kind of miserable out there.

2011-05-22 10:13 PM
in reply to: #3512352

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
GoGoGo - 2011-05-22 1:01 PM Hey gang,

I really like my trainer. Having it makes it so easy to get my rides in.  They are much safer then the roads also. Tongue out

I have the Cycle Oops Fluid 2

2011-05-22 10:15 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Congrats to those who raced this weekend!

I had a goal to get all of my training in this week but life got in the way today. One of these weeks I am going to get them all done. I might try to make up for the run I missed tomorrow. I think I need to play hooky and get out and enjoy the weather as it has been raining ALOT here.

Hope everyone has a good start to their weeks.

2011-05-23 4:52 AM

User image

Expert
Canada

QOTD:

Spinnervals...Anyone use them?

Undecided

2011-05-23 7:46 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
I like Spinnervals, I think I have 8 or 9 different versions.  They will definately make you stronger if you follow them consistantly.
2011-05-23 9:20 AM

User image

Regular
Connecticut

amschrod - I love the pictures!

I didn't feel all that well on Friday - so I cut out of work at half a day and went home and went to bed!  I really think it is just the lack of sunshine getting to me.  I felt great the rest of the weekend... though, I didn't do any training.  Embarassed

I was digging again in my yard and my hammies are sore today.  (I will have to post before and after pics when I am done)  While I was digging, I noticed the woman accross the street come back from a bike ride and immediately go out for a run... hmmm... think she might be training for something?  I wanted to flag her down, but between being, literally, covered in dirt and her looking like she was into what she was doing, I didn't get to catch her before she headed up her driveway.

2011-05-23 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Canada

National holiday, here, in Canada.  Day off!!!

Went for a 8 mile run this morning.

Interesting article on cycling on front page of BT.  Not sure if anyone interested, but here is link

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2283

Have a good Day...

Richard

2011-05-23 7:00 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Anthony - congrats to your son for gradutating - major accomplishment - you should be very proud!!!

Richard - a trainer is a very good idea. it will give you so much more flexibility (esp. in winter). I have a cheap fluid trainer (Nashbar brand?) I don't like it as it is very very loud. I have heard good things on the ones Ken mentioned.

Sherri - maybe you just found a training partner!!!!

As for bike DVD's - I have never tried spinnervals (they are expensive!) But I do like the Sufferfest videos and they are only 10 dollars or so to download onto your computer. I also like how they have live footage of races and will definately kick your butt!

I hope everyone is having a great week! 

2011-05-24 4:16 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Good morning folks!

Off to play in the pool first thing this morning, then a 3.5 mile race tonight. 

What's everyone's plan today? 
2011-05-24 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3515217

User image

Regular
Maryland

kenj - 2011-05-24 4:16 AM Good morning folks!

I'm going to try for a spin class tonight.  Do you think this is a good substitute for the real thing if you don't have time for an actual ride?

BTW, thought for the day, I spent some time last night reading through some beginner level articles.  I found that many of them say that the most important thing for a beginner is to build your base.  So, does this mean that it's okay to work out regularly, swimming, running, and biking, without pushing yourself too hard?

So, knowing the distances and times that I've been putting in, do you think that's enough or do you think I should be putting in more time?

Thanks in advance for your input,

2011-05-24 8:47 AM
in reply to: #3515513

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Viyoung - 2011-05-24 9:24 AM

I'm going to try for a spin class tonight.  Do you think this is a good substitute for the real thing if you don't have time for an actual ride?

BTW, thought for the day, I spent some time last night reading through some beginner level articles.  I found that many of them say that the most important thing for a beginner is to build your base.  So, does this mean that it's okay to work out regularly, swimming, running, and biking, without pushing yourself too hard?

So, knowing the distances and times that I've been putting in, do you think that's enough or do you think I should be putting in more time?

In my opinion, spin classes are a good supplement to cycling but not a substitute for the real thing.  What spin class wont teach you is handling skills and confidence on the bike.  I guess you would have to explain to me how time is the deciding factor between a spin class and outside cycling.  I would think you could do either in the same time frame.

You have plenty of time before your first scheduled race Vivian.  The only place I would suggest you increasing your frequency is in the water, and getting more of your cycling on your bike rather than spin classes.  Other wise the only other factor is to keep building on what you are already doing.  You are doing a great job so far! 

As far as effort goes, almost all of your training efforts at this point should be hard enough that you know you worked out, but easy enough that you can do the same effort again tomorrow.  Does that make sense?

Are you currently using a training plan designed for the race distance you are working towards? If not you should look at some of the free ones on this site, just hit articles up above. 

Stick with it, you are doing great!
2011-05-24 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3515583

User image

Regular
Maryland
kenj - 2011-05-24 8:47 AM

In my opinion, spin classes are a good supplement to cycling but not a substitute for the real thing.  What spin class wont teach you is handling skills and confidence on the bike.  I guess you would have to explain to me how time is the deciding factor between a spin class and outside cycling.  I would think you could do either in the same time frame.

You have plenty of time before your first scheduled race Vivian.  The only place I would suggest you increasing your frequency is in the water, and getting more of your cycling on your bike rather than spin classes.  Other wise the only other factor is to keep building on what you are already doing.  You are doing a great job so far! 

As far as effort goes, almost all of your training efforts at this point should be hard enough that you know you worked out, but easy enough that you can do the same effort again tomorrow.  Does that make sense?

Are you currently using a training plan designed for the race distance you are working towards? If not you should look at some of the free ones on this site, just hit articles up above. 

Thanks,

I am using the attached as a training plan/guide, but I haven't yet added the second workout to days that call for a run or bike + swim.

I guess the time factor for riding my actual bike is an excuse.  I kind of psych myself out about it, because it is still kind of scary for me.  I've made plans to bike with a "buddy" this weekend, because I'm a bit intimidated by the open road.  Last Saturday was really my first time spending any real time on the open road.  Til then I've been riding around the neighborhood.

Attachments
----------------
Pages from IG Beginner Training Calendar.pdf (87KB - 11 downloads)
2011-05-24 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Vivian - you are doing great.  Keep up the consistency and it will pay out huge when you have your first tri in August.

I understand the bike intimidation thing. However the more you do it the less scary it will feel. Going with a friend is a good idea. Also, drive the route you are thinking of doing first. Look for one that has few cars and wide shoulders. If you have to drive to this spot and then bike from there is fine. I do it occasionally to avoid the wyoming tech dorms (scary drivers in very large full ton trucks!)

I am tapering (again) for my first sprint tri of the season this Saturday.  Will try and get in a short run with some intervals thrown in and some ab work/stretching afterwards.

2011-05-24 9:29 AM
in reply to: #3515665

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Viyoung - 2011-05-24 10:14 AM
kenj - 2011-05-24 8:47 AM

Thanks,

I am using the attached as a training plan/guide, but I haven't yet added the second workout to days that call for a run or bike + swim.

I guess the time factor for riding my actual bike is an excuse.  I kind of psych myself out about it, because it is still kind of scary for me.  I've made plans to bike with a "buddy" this weekend, because I'm a bit intimidated by the open road.  Last Saturday was really my first time spending any real time on the open road.  Til then I've been riding around the neighborhood.

That looks like a pretty good plan Vivian!  I find it is tough some days myself to get the 2nd workout in.  If I can I try to do them together to prevent missing them. 

Robin had some good suggestions on driving the routes first, but there is nothing wrong with just going around the neighborhood until you build some confidence.  A couple of other suggestions would be to look for some bike paths if there are any around.  Here in NY there aren't too many, but in CA they were fairly common in most communities.

Also, check with the local bike shops.  A lot of them offer group rides and many of them have beginner or woman specific rides.  I know the shops I ride with are very accomodating to new riders (it helps build good customers).  I know it can be intimidating at first, but you will gain more confidence as you get more time on the bike!

Have some fun with it!
2011-05-24 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3515694

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2011-05-24 10:20 AM

Vivian - you are doing great.  Keep up the consistency and it will pay out huge when you have your first tri in August.

I understand the bike intimidation thing. However the more you do it the less scary it will feel. Going with a friend is a good idea. Also, drive the route you are thinking of doing first. Look for one that has few cars and wide shoulders. If you have to drive to this spot and then bike from there is fine. I do it occasionally to avoid the wyoming tech dorms (scary drivers in very large full ton trucks!)

I am tapering (again) for my first sprint tri of the season this Saturday.  Will try and get in a short run with some intervals thrown in and some ab work/stretching afterwards.

Have a good run!  I hope your weather has improved so it is a little more enjoyable!
2011-05-24 9:35 AM

User image

Regular
Maryland

Thanks Ken and Robin, great feed back.  I never thought of driving the route first.  that's a great idea.

Smile

2011-05-24 9:40 AM

User image

Toronto-ish
For riding you can always put the bike in your car and drive to somewhere you feel more comfortable riding it. This is a good way to avoid high traffic areas, particularly if you're surrounded by them.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72