BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP is FULL (of motivation!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 35

2011-09-17 5:06 PM
in reply to: #3442771

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Destination MoP is FULL (of motivation!)
Congrats, Steve!

2011-09-17 5:37 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Congrats Steve. Can't wait to see race report.
2011-09-17 7:03 PM
in reply to: #3680251

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
perilousleigh - 2011-09-10 10:29 AM

Well first off:  Good luck to everyone on their races this weekend!!  I can feel the excitement!   Can't wait to hear how you all do.

Cynthia: I will definitely let you know what I decide to do for my core workouts, I'm not quite sure yet.  I've got P90X and my plan was to start doing some of the workouts like 2 or 3 days a week.  I was initially planning on just doing the weight lifting workouts but maybe I'll add in Core Synergistics and Yoga.  Once my back pain has cooled off a little maybe I'll add in the Ab Ripper workout and some Pilates.  I've said it before but I definitely recommend P90X!  Even if you don't do the program it's an awesome library of workout DVDs to have to supplement your training schedule.  And I just found out last week they're coming out with a P90X2, it looks brutal!

I am going to order P90x...my daughter it a beach body coach, http://www.beachbodycoach.com/KristiWalz and has pre-ordered the P90X2 but I am not there yet.  It all looks pretty tough but I think it will be a great winter workout! 

Edited by SportzVision 2011-09-17 8:27 PM
2011-09-17 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3681022

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
rustymom - 2011-09-11 12:27 PM

First Sprint Tri complete!  I had a good time.  The swim went well other than getting sandwiched a bit.  The bike was OK, but seriously I think 200 women passed me.  Also, my bike computer thingy on the fork bounced around early on, so I stopped and fixed it.  Not 1/2 mile further it did it again and I decided to leave it and pray it didn't take out any spokes.  It worked out OK.  The run was a trail run.  I loved the woods and the rolling hills were OK.  I did develop a side/front stitch that came and went and hurt with each downhill footfall.  I did walk a bit, but I'm OK with that.

I'll report back later with times and more details (if I think of any).

~Andrea

Congrats Andrea!  Way to go!
2011-09-17 8:54 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Hey Friends...I have been away from a computer for a 10 days and sure have missed you all!  Sounds like everyone had great racing. 

For me? Well, I guess I could start from the end...I finished dead last!  I was so out of my league and not ready for this distance. But I did complete my first OLY.  Good grief, I was last as soon as the horn blew!  All my age groupers took off like motor boats and left me at the start.  But my goal for the swim was to not wear myself out; the men caught up, from the next wave, and several swam over me and one shoved me under water and under him!  I will add my race report soon...how do I add the "here" link?

Good news:

• the foot was not an issue at all,
  • I did not finish last in any event or transition but did overall,
  • I could hear my grandson cheer me on,
  • I bought a wetsuit and a regular bathing suit, (you women know how hard that is),
  • I got to do an open water swim in the ocean on Friday afternoon at La Jolla Cove which was daunting; swimming with seals, small sharks and seaweed!  

I am fired up about the winter training...my core screamed, "You did not prepare us for this" , during the entire 10K portion of my race, which I mostly walked.  Next year it will be ready!

2011-09-17 10:29 PM
in reply to: #3690559

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
sschaar - 2011-09-17 1:50 PM

Success!!  Tired but happy.  Race report to follow

-Steve

Way to go Steve!  You made us proud!

2011-09-17 10:29 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
sschaar - 2011-09-17 1:50 PM

Success!!  Tired but happy.  Race report to follow

-Steve

Way to go Steve!  You made us proud!
2011-09-17 10:38 PM
in reply to: #3681380

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Andrea, what a super job you are a triathlete!
2011-09-18 8:07 AM

User image

Regular
Charlotte, NC

Race report: Cane Creek Triathlon

Overall I had a good time and was happy with my effort. 

I was a bit worried about the cold weather (53 degrees at the start) and the race announcing that it was wetsuit legal.  That ended up being a non issue.  By the time I stripped down and walked the quarter mile to the race start the water felt warm.  The beginning of the bike was a bit chilly.  Actually I think by the run it was better than the 90+ degrees that we have been having.

I found one advantage to be BOP, DOGS.  During the bike leg, I passed 2 dogs that were standing in the middle of the road, they were too tired to give chase.  For some reason I thought it was funny and actually laughed out loud. Laughing

A little teaser for my race report.  Find my training MOTIVATION for my next race.

-Steve

P.S. a question for you experienced racers, How do you get the body markings off? 2 showers  and I can still see them.

Edited by sschaar 2011-09-18 8:11 AM
2011-09-18 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3690979

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
sschaar - 2011-09-18 2:07 PM

Race report: Cane Creek Triathlon

Overall I had a good time and was happy with my effort. 

I was a bit worried about the cold weather (53 degrees at the start) and the race announcing that it was wetsuit legal.  That ended up being a non issue.  By the time I stripped down and walked the quarter mile to the race start the water felt warm.  The beginning of the bike was a bit chilly.  Actually I think by the run it was better than the 90+ degrees that we have been having.

I found one advantage to be BOP, DOGS.  During the bike leg, I passed 2 dogs that were standing in the middle of the road, they were too tired to give chase.  For some reason I thought it was funny and actually laughed out loud. Laughing

A little teaser for my race report.  Find my training MOTIVATION for my next race.

-Steve

P.S. a question for you experienced racers, How do you get the body markings off? 2 showers  and I can still see them.

Congratulations Steve.  That's a great start to your triathlon career ;-)

Glad to see you've got some extra motivation for next time.  I always try to make sure I'm the one passing people at the end of the run, rather than the other way round, but it takes some serious determination in the last few seconds.

2011-09-18 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3689817

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
juneapple - 2011-09-16 8:30 PM
chapfallen - 2011-09-16 10:46 AM

I'm doing my half marathon this weekend.  It's going to be my last race of the year, and I'm not really looking forward to it.  I spent Sun-Wed doing around 8 hours of walking each day at work (including lots of hills), and my feet have been really sore.  I've also been absolutely exhausted.  I decided that having some energy left for the weekend was more important than any last minute training I may achieve, so I haven't run since last week.  It's weird to think that for the first 6 months of the year I was breezing through the training, and now I'm struggling just to go for a couple of runs each week.  I'm ready for a break, which is going to come after Sunday.  I'm starting to plan my winter training (that cycling plan looks great, I've been downloading the details), but I don't think it'll be starting until late October, once things have calmed down a little at work and I've had a chance to really recover and rest a while.

May I ask a difficult question, Rach?  Why are you doing the half-marathon?  You're not looking forward to it, your feet hurt, and it doesn't sound like you're physically or mentally prepared for it.  Why not allow yourself to start recovering now?  If Kevin is racing, go cheer him on.  You've achieved so much this year - fantastic training and racing.  There will be many more opportunities for a race in your future.  Maybe I'm reading too much into this... and if so, just laugh it off... but if perhaps you hear a smidge of truth in it and part of you is asking for permission - you have it, and you always have.

I'm putting this out there for the board b/c health goes both ways - training and the tri-lifestyle can be a great motivator for living better - but it is okay to rest and be still now and then too.  In fact, it is important to do so and to be able to recognize when you should :-)

-Stu (who has taken a new oath to himself to be more honest and direct with family, friends and people he cares about when it comes to health)

Stu - Thanks for asking that question.  It was a similar conversation with a friend last week that made me realise that the marathon was a stupid idea and I really needed to let go of it.  I was mostly doing the half marathon because it hadn't occurred to me not to.  I have a general policy of not giving myself the option of quitting, but it's good to have people who care enough to make me question that every now and then.  However it worked out for the best.  My next post is going to be my race report for today :-)

2011-09-18 2:14 PM

User image

Veteran
This group is hopping! I enjoyed your race report Steve. Nice job. I'll have to check back for Rach's race report later.
2011-09-18 2:30 PM

User image

Maine

Cynthia, that's a shame about your Oly but it sounds like you're looking at it with a positive attitude.  I think it takes a lot of courage to take on more distance and greater challenges, so you should at least be proud that you had the guts to do it and the fortitude to finish!

Steve, congrats!  You can now call yourself a "triathlete" .  It's great to have that first race done and you've proven to yourself that you can do it and could do it again.  

As for getting the markings off, I've used rubbing alcohol with something really abrasive and just scrubbed away until my skin was red.  Especially if you have age markings . . .I did NOT want to go to work the next day with my age all over my body, lol!

2011-09-18 2:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

Today I took part in the world's largest half marathon.  There were 54,000 registered participants.  This event happens every year less than half an hour from my house (and actually starts where I work), but I've only done it once before.  Last time I was unfit and under trained, I only took part because I didn't want to let down the charity I was running for, and only completed it because I walked for 2 minutes every time I got to a mile marker.  I got to the end and immediately collapsed hyperventilating in the first aid tent.

Earlier this year when I decided to do it again I had two goals.  The first was to do it with some style this time.  I've done so much training that I figured that would be fine.  The second was to do it in less than 2 hours.  Again, with the way things were going in April/May that really wasn't going to be too hard.

However, the intervening months have done their work, and again I find that I'm under trained for it.  The difference is that this time I'm NOT unfit.  I've got a good base, and despite everything, that hasn't gone away.

This morning I wasn't really excited about getting ready.  I just got on with it.  The excitement started when I got dropped off near the start area (which is more than a km of motorway).  There were massive screens with pictures of the start (elite wheelchair and elite women went off about half an hour before everyone else) and loud music, commentators etc.  While I was in the queue for the porta-johns they started the mass warm up, and it was hilarious watching everyone in the lines around me doing the warm up in time with the music while waiting their turn.

I found my way to my starting pen, which was about half way back.  It was absolutely packed with everyone getting really excited, and chatting to each other.  I didn't know anyone, but must have had conversations with at least 8 people before the race started.  In addition to the music and other entertainment, we also had the Red Arrows fly over the starting area (you probably don't know, but the Red Arrows are the RAF arial display team - one of their group died about a month ago in a plane crash, so it was extra special to see them up and flying again today).  I actually started welling up at that point, the atmosphere was so intense. 

Then the race started and we all stood there...  Having done this before I knew this would happen.  It takes a long time to get 54,000 people moving to the point where you can actually start running.  It took 16 min to get to the start line, by which time I had just managed to break into a jog.  Fortunately it's chip timed, so it doesn't matter how long the start takes.

Less than half a mile in, against the odds, I spotted a couple of friends who I knew would be running at a similar pace to me, so I joined them, and ran nearly the whole race with one of them (the other had an ankle injury and so slowed down at about mile 6 to avoid aggravating it).  It was great having people to run with and we not only did a reasonable job of pacing each other, but also motivating each other.

This event is like very few others that I've ever been involved in.  Every mile or so there are live bands playing music.  There are supporters areas for particular charities at regular intervals who shout for people running for their charity, but also provide general support.  The vast majority of people taking part are running for a charity and a huge amount of money is raised every year.  The local residents come out and hand out cookies, ice pops, water, orange quarters and all sorts of other things (in addition to the regular water and powerade stations).  There isn't more than about 5 metres anywhere along the route where there aren't people cheering you on.  And this year they put everyone's names on their numbers, so people were shouting out your name as you ran by.

The atmosphere the whole way really kept me going, and I think I ran the whole thing with a giant smile on my face.  In terms of the actual running, I think I probably ran a little too fast at the start.  Looking at my splits, miles 1-6 were all below 10min/mile, whereas miles 7-12 were all above 10min.  However, I felt comfortable, and I remember thinking at 10 miles that I felt great and could really keep going.  At mile 10 you hit a long steady hill.  It's not very steep, but because you've already run so far and it's nearly 2 miles long it's pretty tough.  Just before mile 12 you go down a steep hill and get to the sea front.  For a lot of people they assume that's the end, but there's actually another mile to run along the sea.  Fortunately I knew this.  At mile 12 I started pushing harder, and kept shouting my friend along (he'd told me he would get to mile 12 and need some encouragement).  My legs were tired, but I just kept pushing for the whole of the last mile.  The hardest part was that it got quite crowded and I was having to dodge other runners the whole way.  But my last mile was a minute faster than the previous one, so I'd managed to hold something back for the end.

I crossed the finish line with an enormous sense of pride for running the whole way, and a real emotional high.  My time was actually a minute slower than last time (when I was really unfit), at 2hr 14min 14sec.  But I definitely did it with more style.

My placing was 20714 overall, and 5581 out of the ladies.

I'm really glad I ran today.  It's really made me feel motivated again, and despite not getting a great time I really feel like I accomplished something.  I'm looking forward to my rest and recovery time, as I really need it, but I'm also really looking forward to getting into my winter training to see what I can achieve next year.

2011-09-18 2:53 PM
in reply to: #3690833

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
SportzVision - 2011-09-18 2:54 AM

Hey Friends...I have been away from a computer for a 10 days and sure have missed you all!  Sounds like everyone had great racing. 

For me? Well, I guess I could start from the end...I finished dead last!  I was so out of my league and not ready for this distance. But I did complete my first OLY.  Good grief, I was last as soon as the horn blew!  All my age groupers took off like motor boats and left me at the start.  But my goal for the swim was to not wear myself out; the men caught up, from the next wave, and several swam over me and one shoved me under water and under him!  I will add my race report soon...how do I add the "here" link?

Good news:

• the foot was not an issue at all,
  • I did not finish last in any event or transition but did overall,
  • I could hear my grandson cheer me on,
  • I bought a wetsuit and a regular bathing suit, (you women know how hard that is),
  • I got to do an open water swim in the ocean on Friday afternoon at La Jolla Cove which was daunting; swimming with seals, small sharks and seaweed!  

I am fired up about the winter training...my core screamed, "You did not prepare us for this" , during the entire 10K portion of my race, which I mostly walked.  Next year it will be ready!

Congratulations on finishing your first OLY!  That's an achievement even if you finished last (someone has to!).  I really noticed the difference in the "type" of competitors when I did my first OLY.  You get a lot of people doing sprints who are just trying it out, or doing it as a one off, whereas mostly it seems to be "serious" competitors that do the standard distance.  But that's just because it's harder, and therefore more of an achievement.  Well done, and I look forward to the race report (can't help with adding the link - I can do it, but explaining it is beyond me).

2011-09-18 3:38 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Good to see all these posts.

Steve - with respect to vision...I think you can actually buy prescription goggles somewhere.  I was talking with a women at my June race and she had some.  They were even off-the-shelf.  She let me try them on and they really do make a difference.  I wear prescription glasses but don't need to much improved vision to complete the swim (although that may change over the next few years).  I really enjoyed your report.

Cynthia - congratulations on completing your first OLY triathlon!  I love your perspective. 

Rachel - it sounds like a great race to take part in.  I really love big running races for many of the reasons you describe.

On another note, I purchased a new triathlon bike today!!  Woohoo!  Laughing  I'm looking forward to putting it on the trainer this weekend and out for a nice long ride next Saturday.  

And...signed up for the Eagleman 70.3 HIM in Cambridge, MD next June.  I pretty psyched about both!  Sealed

2011-09-19 7:41 AM

Maine

Cynthia - Way to go on your first Olympic Distance! Finishing is a huge accomplishment, and you should be so proud.

Steve - Congrats! Are you ready to tackle another one? I know after my first one, I was on the fence for a short while, before I decided that I enjoyed myself.

Andrea - Good job gutting it out! There is something to be said for getting out of your head and knowing you are physically capable of completing the distance and just going out there and making it happen.

Melanie - I hope that you enjoy your new tri bike. Awesome job getting your goals for next year established, and a 70.3 to boot!

Stu - If I'm figuring it correctly, some of your longer harder distances are coming up for your marathon training. Good luck, and stick to your plan if possible (coming from the girl who fell off the wagon in her HIM training). If it's any help to you, the marathon for me was harder than the HIM. My legs had a really hard time handling the distance past 20 miles (also the illusive 3 hour marker).

I have a funny story to share about my first marathon. My nutrition plans were GU every 40 and water. I have a Nathan belt with a holder for two bottles and then a small bag in the middle. I wear it so the bag is behind, not in front. At mile 20 or so, I was reaching into my bag to get a GU, and in the process of pulling it out, I also pulled out a 2nd (and my last GU) and it fell on the ground behind me.  So I spun around and bent over to pick it up off the ground. Now, imagine, I had already run for 3 hours, it was a chilly Maine morning, and there was a nice lady cheering me on, so without thinking I bent over to pick up the packet. The problem was, my legs were so tight, my hamstrings, my back, lacked all flexibility. I wound up bent over, with my hands on the ground and my feet OFF the ground Surprised in a mini hand stand. My hands were so swollen that I didn't know if I was going to be able to keep myself from falling. I was able to shove off the ground and get up to my feet. I looked at the spectator and said, "If I drop this again, I probably wont try to pick it up." Embarassed

My best advice, is know your body, set your pace prior to race day (based on training) and whatever you do, don't exceed it, no matter how great you feel in the beginning.

I had my first run yesterday since the HIM, and it was slow for me, but felt so good! I need to make sure I'm able to pull my weight for the October Farm to Farm run with Erin.

Anyone else have goals for 2012 already lined up?

2011-09-19 8:38 AM
in reply to: #3691718

User image

Expert
Falls Church
christineakendall - 2011-09-19 7:41 AM

My best advice, is know your body, set your pace prior to race day (based on training) and whatever you do, don't exceed it, no matter how great you feel in the beginning.

Ditto that!

2011-09-19 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran

Go Melanie!  That's great that your planning a HIM next year!

A bit of an update:  My trainer has arrived and is setup.  I need to put something under the front wheel and figure out why my back brake is rubbing (disconnected it for now), but I'm planning to start training on it tomorrow.  I've started trying the 3-2-1 run plan with 3x15min, 2x30min and 1x45min runs a week.  I really feel that consistancy will help with my weightloss and running.  I'll up the time on one type of run a week to gradually increase my time/miles.  My weight is dropping again, thankfully, so I'll be concentrating on keeping that going.

Next year: (Yes, I'm a planner...this is tentative, but what I think I want to do)

Winter - a few indoor tris to keep my motivation up. 

March(early/mid) - repeat 5K in Hartford (O'Hartford)????? maybe a different race

May (mid) - Sprint duathlon with trail runs up to a tower and back down.

June (early/mid)- 7 mile running race in the town where I grew up.  (pretty big goal for me)

Aug (early) - Sandy Beach (sprint) tri (on a Fri night

Sept (early/mid) - Women's tri (sprint) again

2011-09-19 3:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

Wow, look at all these plans already!

Andrea - looks like you've got the whole season worked out.

Melanie - congrats on signing up for the HIM.  And yay!  New bike!  Let us know how you find it.  I'd quite like a tri bike, but I can't afford the upgrade and I've only just finished paying off my road bike ;-)

As far as next year I haven't made any specific plans.  A lot of our friends are signed up for the Outlaw, which is an iron distance event.  I would really like to plan for iron distance, but next year's going to be tricky with work (I have to get myself signed off from my probation, and we're working a lot of extra hours/days for the olympics), so I don't want to over-commit myself too early.  The Outlaw would be quite good timing, in that it would be over before the extra work kicks in, but it is also quite early in the season (1st july), so I'd have to get the training right from the start.  Decisions, decisions.  But to keep my options open I've already booked the weekend off work ;-)

My winter training plans are to work on one discipline for a month or two at a time while keeping the rest ticking over.  I'm going to get my running analysed and try to change my running style as I know my current running style is a bit of a mess.  That's probably the biggest challenge.  I'm going to work on making my cycling stronger (lots of time on the trainer in my future I think), and just keep working on improving my swim.  I've got the technique, now I need to work on the strength.  So there's definitely going to be strength training and a whole bunch of core stuff.  Haven't figured out the details yet though...

2011-09-20 7:37 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

This weekend is the Dogfish Dash 10K (sponsored by Dogfish Head Brewery).  Flat, fast course.  But the best part is the free flowing beer afterwards.  Friends have offered to drop us off and pick us up so we can enjoy!  Tongue out

I am also thinking about the fall and next season.

Scheduled for two 5 miles trail races with a friend in late fall.

Next year - 

• an April Olympic tri (Rumpus in Bumpass)
  • a May half-marathon (maybe)
  • June Eagleman 70.3 (registered)
  • September Nation's Tri olympic (registered)
  • October Giant Acorn olympic 

Looking forward to some relaxed weeks till mid to late October though.

2011-09-21 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
I did my first trainer workout last night.  It was tough, and time dragged a bit.  I'm glad I had a specific workout or I never would have stayed on for 50 minutes.  Oh, and it's just different enough that my backside went to sleep.  I haven't had that problem on the road this year at all.
2011-09-21 8:39 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Hi MoPers,

Let me get the rough news over with first and then I'll get on to the good stuff.  Our daughter was hospitalized last week with an eating disorder, so its been a rough week for us.  She's making good, steady progress on all fronts and we're very thankful that she's in good care and that we're able to be with her and help her on the road to wellness.  She's (we've) been struggling with it all summer, so it is a great relief that she's now facing it and getting treatment.  Gonna be a long road, but we're going in the right direction again :-)

Now, on to the good stuff!  MoP has been busy this week!

Cynthia - great job on the OLY!  Somehow I missed that was coming up.  I remember well my first OLY being rather shocked at the step up in the quality of the field.  So, you've set a PB for that length and learned a ton I bet.  It's a great accomplishment finishing that length - definitely a step up in the challenge.  FWIW, OLY is my favorite length, probably b/c there's more swim relative to the other lengths and it's a big challenge but not an "all day" kind of challenge.  Next year I think improving at that length will be my primary focus.

Steve - again, fantastic job on completing your first Tri!  Now that you've got one behind you all kinds of things will start clicking in place with regard to training and race strategy, etc.  Well done!  And personally, I'd wear the markings with pride.  Maybe being post 50, the age thing doesn't matter so much anymore!

Rach - that does sound like an amazing race - so many participants - woah!  Glad it was a super positive experience for you and ended the year on a high note :-)

Melanie - what brand of bike did you choose?  Enjoy your maiden voyage this weekend!

Love seeing the plans for next year.  And, btw, I believe this board will be available through at least Jan 1.  Might move to an "archive" group, but we can still post to it.

I did a 10K on Saturday - new PB and broke 50 for the first time (a long term goal).  Not sure what the future holds for me right now with regard to training.  If I can get back on track next week, I'll keep the marathon goal in sight.  If not, I may have to hold off on that until another time.  But generally, the training has been going well, so regardless of the ultimate outcome on the race, it has been a good experience for me.  Will also probably not do the OLY in 10 days I was planning on doing.  Life happens.  Gotta keep it all in perspective.  Right now, the word of the day is gratitude :-)

Take care everyone... I'm off to the hospital.

Stu

2011-09-21 4:34 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Stu,

Thank you for sharing such a sensitive part of your life and giving us a perspective of hope and gratitude.  You are an amazing and strong family man.  Your family and daughter seem to be at the starting line of the path to healing and I wish you all the best.  My prayers are with you and your family. 

Please use your training for healing and well being, mentally and physically it can be your refuge but it can drain you too.  Basically, try to find the balance of not training too much but also not neglecting your own needs during this time so that you can continue to remain strong.

2011-09-21 4:41 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

Right now I have not done any training since my race...an ow swim and some volleyball and a 1 and half mile walk have been the extent of the end of my season. I want to do more races but financially it just isn't working out as we are saving up to see our daughter play basketball in Oregon, as you recall, she is in Florida going to school. 

I have been pondering my off season and my approach for the next few months. Seem like I am going in circles, the information is overwhelming! I want to work on core of course but also my strength training and get down to a great race weight...this is the time. I have been searching for a strength training plan to incorporate into my training...does anyone have one they like?  Of course I may start the P90X too.  My goal this week is to have my plan in place by Saturday and start on Sunday. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Destination MoP is FULL (of motivation!) Rss Feed  

of 35