BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2013-01-13 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed

Matt fun run!!!lol  I think you have a reason to buy new shoes now...

question for the runners...  please explain...  Everyone says to run slow...run slow..run slow and often...run every day.  I have not missed a day from running since Thanksgiving and have been running slow, not getting to tired, just running.  i normally drink a lot while running.

Now when I run races I pick up the pace and i can't drink w/o the water slosh effect, and feeling like throwing up and the diaherrea feel.  Do I need to start training harder.

Oh and by the way, I have high blood pressure (age related) and can't handle much salt.

Please explain what I should do.  i hate being such a newbie...

2013-01-13 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4576011

User image

Expert
MI
KWDreamun - 2013-01-13 12:02 PM

question for the runners...  please explain...  Everyone says to run slow...run slow..run slow and often...run every day.  I have not missed a day from running since Thanksgiving and have been running slow, not getting to tired, just running.  i normally drink a lot while running.

Now when I run races I pick up the pace and i can't drink w/o the water slosh effect, and feeling like throwing up and the diaherrea feel.  Do I need to start training harder.

Oh and by the way, I have high blood pressure (age related) and can't handle much salt.

I realize I may get some criticism from this, but to be honest, I hardly drink any water when running... (or biking for that matter...) unless it's really hot.  My bike rides are usually less than an hour, and my running, well that varies, but even for my 1-1.5 hr runs in the summer/fall I wasn't really drinking any water (again, unless it was really hot).  This does not mean this is what I recommend of course!  I just find running with water to be a pain.  How much water are you drinking and generally how long are your workouts?  I wonder if you are over-doing it on the water intake?

2013-01-13 1:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Matt, great race! Sounds like fun but wasn't it cold?

So we had about 1/4 of an inch of sleet and snow but I couldn't do another indoor anything so I ran outside and watched my footing, and had my best run in a. looooong time, my question is I got a notification from training peaks that said congratulations your new threshold is 156. I have been randomly getting these and they are continuously going up. I thought I wanted my hr to go down! Even for my threshold. Iam sorry if Iam beating an old horse on this..... Or is it a dead horse?
2013-01-13 1:10 PM
in reply to: #4576071

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
michgirlsk - 2013-01-13 12:51 PM

I realize I may get some criticism from this, but to be honest, I hardly drink any water when running... (or biking for that matter...) unless it's really hot.  My bike rides are usually less than an hour, and my running, well that varies, but even for my 1-1.5 hr runs in the summer/fall I wasn't really drinking any water (again, unless it was really hot).  This does not mean this is what I recommend of course!  I just find running with water to be a pain.  How much water are you drinking and generally how long are your workouts?  I wonder if you are over-doing it on the water intake?

Samantha I agree with you, my drinking level is almost not existent during runs. During training I will go up towards 11-13 miles and will not drink anything. Most times I don't feel the need, so right or wrong I don't drink! Might be partly because I can't run and drink at the same time so why ruin the run by stopping to drink something
2013-01-13 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Karl-I can empathize wi the diarrhea concern. When I do interval runs, which I haven't done in a few months, I usually feel like vomiting and I have to go to the bathroom. Maybe you are ready to incorporate some interval training? Might help your body adjust to race pace. Or, maybe do a race pace run somewhere in the week?
2013-01-13 2:53 PM
in reply to: #4575855

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
KWDreamun - 2013-01-13 9:06 AM

Thanks for the advice on nutrition.  Since the cramping persisted all day I'm wondering if it was maybe a bug or did I just go to hard???  I finally started feeling better about 7:00 pm.  One thing is for sure, no more yogurt before a race!!!

Could exhaustion, lack of water last that long?  I thought it would be over a lot sooner than almost 12 hours later?

When i do my training runs, I drink a lot.  I also go early so I can get rid of the drink anywhere.  During the race, I'm running harder, I feel like if i drink I will throw up AND there is no where to go potty...

My foot is a lot better today, that is 1 positive that come out of it.Bharvavas, congrats on the swim.

Bhargavas, congrats on the swim!

Jen, thanks for posting the pics of the lacing.  That was bothering Pam so much not getting it posted.  Hopefully it will help someone in the future. 

Samantha and Jen, I had to quit working my legs in the gym when i started triathlon stuff.  I still do upper body a LOT but not legs.  The legs are the biggest muscles in your body and when you work them hard they get very sore and yes it does take a lot of recovery time and nutrition to get them to recover.  Prior to tri stuff, I used to work legs then try to run and I NEVER figured it out.  When it hurts just to stand up, running is out of the question.  Dirk and Jeff will get on to me for this, but if I want to work my legs, just get on your bike and do hill repeats in the hard gears.

Dina, yes you did the junkies proud in the biking!!!!

Tony, how was the 1st night with Luna.  Yes dogs are amazing and they are like children, they change your life for the better, they bring joy.  We laugh at our all the time.  They say having a dog will add years to your life. 

Dirk, I was thinking of you in the run yesterday.  I really hope things work out well for you and your employees.

Jo, I ran in pink socks for Margie. 

Tony & Karl-Thanks for the input about leg training. I still like to get a leg workout in at least once every two weeks. I am finally starting to feel pretty good today and am excited to run/swim tomorrow. Seems like common sense as to why our leg muscles get so sore. You would not believe how many people I have posed this question to they have not been able to answer.

2013-01-13 3:15 PM
in reply to: #4576308

User image

Expert
MI

jenbmosley - 2013-01-13 3:53 PM Tony & Karl-Thanks for the input about leg training. I still like to get a leg workout in at least once every two weeks. I am finally starting to feel pretty good today and am excited to run/swim tomorrow. Seems like common sense as to why our leg muscles get so sore. You would not believe how many people I have posed this question to they have not been able to answer.

Yes I would like to continue to get in a leg workout too. I was doing fine with just leg extension/flexion, hip adductors/abductor machines... and also occasionally the leg press with a lowered weight.  I think the major delayed recovery came from when I did a squat cable machine at body weight + 5-10 lbs (2x10).  That was the second time I had done that machine, and before that I did nearly half that.  I think it was too much with no gradual introduction.  (This coupled with the added running... but I really do think that squat machine did me in.)

2013-01-13 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4576176

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
mambos - 2013-01-13 2:10 PM
michgirlsk - 2013-01-13 12:51 PM

Samantha I agree with you, my drinking level is almost not existent during runs. During training I will go up towards 11-13 miles and will not drink anything. Most times I don't feel the need, so right or wrong I don't drink! Might be partly because I can't run and drink at the same time so why ruin the run by stopping to drink something

I noticed your logs a week or so ago that you had been running nearly every day for a while.  I think you should continue to run slow miles although your volume would allow for some speed work but you should start this program slowly.  If you want to do the speed work begin at the track or at least with nothing more than .25 miles repeats to get used to the efforts.  You probably should also take recovery weeks where you will do no speed work at all. Don't do more than one speed workout each week.

Now, I do NOT think that the speed is the problem during races.  I think it could be your nutrition and, with strong likelihood, that your hypertension is affecting you during races or high intensity training.  The hypertension can definitely effect your GI system and cause some of the distress you are feeling.  Another thing to consider is "runner's diarrhea."  There is no known cause for this but your diet can cause this occur at times.  I have experienced this only twice since I began running and from my personal experience I eliminated bananas from my diet and I have no problems since.

This post took me some time to consider and I will continue to do some research.  If you have history with hypertension and are under the care of a physician make sure he knows this occurred the next time you are in the office.  He may have a couple of answers for you too.

For hydration during exercise, I don't think that the lengths of time that some of you are discussing going with out water during your training are of particular importance based on current weather conditions.  In the summer time going on a 12-13 mile run without water would be inadvisable depending on hot weather acclimation.  I will normally take a 10 oz. bottle of water with me on anything over 8 or 9 miles regardless of weather.  For instance, this past Friday I ran 12 miles with 10 oz. of water and took one sip during the whole run.  No problems!  I would not do that in June.  Riding is the same, although I never go out riding AT ALL without a bottle of water but many times I'll return with a little less than a half bottle remaining after 25 miles or so.

2013-01-13 3:39 PM
in reply to: #4575410

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
bhargavs - 2013-01-12 6:27 PM

A quick update on my end. Today was my first 1x1 swim lesson and I think it went pretty well. On the positive side, the coach said that I was relatively comfortable with my face in the water, my stroke had a relaxed feel to it and I'm using my core well to drive the glide/switch. The negatives are that I kick too much, my hips/legs tend to sink (he said tense/stiff hips or may be just low body fat) and I need to work on better pull mechanics. My breathing is a neutral - if I consciously focus on it, I dont over rotate and have half my face in the water but sometimes he mentioned that I tended to lift my head up a bit. One of the suggestions was to look forward a touch instead of looking straight down and mentally feel the crest wave so that I feel comfortable breathing. I still need to work on bilateral breathing too. We tried a little bit of backstroke and it was a bit of the same hips/legs sinking problem there too. 

Now I feel like I at least have some kind of a roadmap in terms of what I need to work on instead of struggling through my sets. We didn't have a phone handy but I am thinking of getting myself taped next week and I'll post a link here after. 

Running has been coming along well. My one issue is that my HR tends to go up to 150-160 very soon and stays there. So I am trying to slow down more to get it down to zone 2 like some of you guys hav suggested here.

I've been ignoring my bike and need your help for a plan. Given the focus on the swim right now, I felt I could go 2x a week on the bike. Was looking at different plans and I thought about the Jorge plan. But that thought lasted for all of 5 mins as I remembered Tony's detailed and colorful commentary hah!. I don't know what to do now. Is it possible to adapt the Jorge plan to 2x a week? Is there any other plan (on trainerroad may be?) that will provide some kind of a structure?

Take a look at this video (I posted it page 9) and notice how hard I kick.  Not very!  I don't try to have a highly propulsive kick at all.  It can be counterproductive to a triathlete and it can be very oxygen depriving causing you to become worn out way to soon.  Those of you who are getting swim instruction should make sure that your coach/instructor are clear that you, being a triathlete, won't be looking to sprint for 100 yards and be done with your race.  You'll be looking for anywhere from 400 to 1500 meters or more and then ride your bike for X and run X miles after swimming.  You all should develop your kicks for balance and not propulsion.

Have you completed a HR test before or are you using a generic chart for your zones?  After looking at you logs I would suggest you get a little more running base prior to testing but the numbers from a test could be better than a general internet chart.

I definitely would do Jorge's plan!  2x a week would well and will allow some fitness improvement but it would be a little more limited.  However, you have indicated that your bike would likely be one of your stronger suits come race season so I would continue to focus on swimming and let that improvement come.  If you do Jorge's plan  twice a week you will, at a minimum, keep your current fitness.

2013-01-13 4:10 PM

User image

Michigan
I went to the pool with my 10 y.o. son and did my swim with him today.  He gave me "lessons" on breaststroke, backstroke, and butterfly, and talked me into a 100 IM race.  Now, he's only 10 but has a fair amount of swim experience, and he is much better than I am at back and butterfly.  I also managed to do 200 pull and 200 free, mostly by slowing way down and breathing easy.  Overall we had a blast, and I got a good workout at the same time.  I think spending some time on the other strokes helped my sense of balance in the water quite a bit. 
2013-01-13 4:49 PM
in reply to: #4576392

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
kaehlin - 2013-01-13 4:10 PM

I went to the pool with my 10 y.o. son and did my swim with him today.  He gave me "lessons" on breaststroke, backstroke, and butterfly, and talked me into a 100 IM race.  Now, he's only 10 but has a fair amount of swim experience, and he is much better than I am at back and butterfly.  I also managed to do 200 pull and 200 free, mostly by slowing way down and breathing easy.  Overall we had a blast, and I got a good workout at the same time.  I think spending some time on the other strokes helped my sense of balance in the water quite a bit. 

I love it... That he can teach you strokes and talk you into a race! Nothing better than those memories with your kids! Sounds like you had an awesome day together.

2013-01-13 5:11 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

I just got caught up with all the post. All I can say is that after one day I am totally worn out from the puppy. She's great but I can see she is going to be a lot of work and mind you she is 8 months old not 8 weeks. If I had to compare her to Jorge's plan I think she's gonna be tougher lol.

On top of that I have not been feeling great this past week but I really felt bad today. It's like I finally got that head cold that was sort of lingering so I really felt miserable yesterday and worse today. I doubt I will be doing any training tomorrow and may have to scale back some over the next couple of week until we get the pup's schedule down.

She is definitely a piece a work but I can see already that is a very kind and loving dog and is going to be my new best friend for a long time so I am not complaining. We are all very happy to have Luna. I would also say I underestimated the effort involved just like I did with triathlon. No surprise there Smile

2013-01-13 5:12 PM
in reply to: #4576434

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Jo63 - 2013-01-13 5:49 PM
kaehlin - 2013-01-13 4:10 PM I went to the pool with my 10 y.o. son and did my swim with him today.  He gave me "lessons" on breaststroke, backstroke, and butterfly, and talked me into a 100 IM race.  Now, he's only 10 but has a fair amount of swim experience, and he is much better than I am at back and butterfly.  I also managed to do 200 pull and 200 free, mostly by slowing way down and breathing easy.  Overall we had a blast, and I got a good workout at the same time.  I think spending some time on the other strokes helped my sense of balance in the water quite a bit. 

I love it... That he can teach you strokes and talk you into a race! Nothing better than those memories with your kids! Sounds like you had an awesome day together.

x2 Eric that sounds great and I wish my son was a swimmer too, at least you can get the free pointers.

2013-01-13 5:19 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Karl I know everyone has already offered up some good advice. I have tendency to drink a lot as well. I sweat ALOT so I have to. Less when it is cooler out like now. I will typically carry a 22 oz water bottle with me. Anything under an hour and it is usually water. Anything an hour or more I go with powerbar perform. My stomach is used to that and I don't have issues. I probably don't even finish half a bottle now but I do drink more than what I'm hearing from everyone here. For long runs in the summer I can do three or four 22 oz powerbar perform bottles with ease.  I have experimented with different things as well to see what agrees with me and also how little or much I need to drink when I am out running.

2013-01-13 5:23 PM

User image

New York

kaehlin - 2013-01-13 5:10 PM I went to the pool with my 10 y.o. son and did my swim with him today.  He gave me "lessons" on breaststroke, backstroke, and butterfly, and talked me into a 100 IM race.  Now, he's only 10 but has a fair amount of swim experience, and he is much better than I am at back and butterfly.  I also managed to do 200 pull and 200 free, mostly by slowing way down and breathing easy.  Overall we had a blast, and I got a good workout at the same time.  I think spending some time on the other strokes helped my sense of balance in the water quite a bit. 

This is awesome!

2013-01-13 5:27 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Dina way to show up the big boys on the bike. Sounds like you more than held your own with that group. Glad to hear that you got in a great ride and had fun with it.

Matt congrats on the 8 minute improve on the trail run. That sounded like a pretty challenging run with the hills, the mud and the creek. Man I will give you a lot of props for running or wading through the creek in the winter. I can also relate to the muddy trails. I did one tri like that this past season. It was only a 5K but I had a blast running in the mud, rain and huge puddles that covered what was suppose to be the trail and I actually killed that run.

JoAnne way to go and get out there and run in the bad weather. I'm fine for running in the cold weather or the snow. I am a bit soft though when it comes to running in the sleet or rain and I will usually take a pass in that kind of weather.

2013-01-13 5:39 PM
in reply to: #4576359

User image

New York
DirkP - 2013-01-13 4:39 PM

Take a look at this video (I posted it page 9) and notice how hard I kick.  Not very!  I don't try to have a highly propulsive kick at all.  It can be counterproductive to a triathlete and it can be very oxygen depriving causing you to become worn out way to soon.  Those of you who are getting swim instruction should make sure that your coach/instructor are clear that you, being a triathlete, won't be looking to sprint for 100 yards and be done with your race.  You'll be looking for anywhere from 400 to 1500 meters or more and then ride your bike for X and run X miles after swimming.  You all should develop your kicks for balance and not propulsion.

Have you completed a HR test before or are you using a generic chart for your zones?  After looking at you logs I would suggest you get a little more running base prior to testing but the numbers from a test could be better than a general internet chart.

I definitely would do Jorge's plan!  2x a week would well and will allow some fitness improvement but it would be a little more limited.  However, you have indicated that your bike would likely be one of your stronger suits come race season so I would continue to focus on swimming and let that improvement come.  If you do Jorge's plan  twice a week you will, at a minimum, keep your current fitness.

Thanks for reposting the video - yes, it definitely makes sense to save the legs for what's to come. I haven't completed a HR test running but I did one on the bike about 6-7 months back and I've been using the same zones. I'll try to do one for the run once I get my weekly mileage up a bit. I'm still at a point where the plan tells me to go not more than 3.5 miles at one stretch.

Tony, Dina and Dirk - the Jorge plan it is! I shall be held accountable for that. And now that I have my new fan, I really have no excuses. 

Btw Tony, I had a nice laugh when you compared the work you have to put in with Luna to Jorge's plan lol. I'm sure both will pay great dividends!

Matt, great run! I'd love to do something like this one day. 

2013-01-13 6:47 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

kaehlin - 2013-01-13 5:10 PM I went to the pool with my 10 y.o. son and did my swim with him today.  He gave me "lessons" on breaststroke, backstroke, and butterfly, and talked me into a 100 IM race.  Now, he's only 10 but has a fair amount of swim experience, and he is much better than I am at back and butterfly.  I also managed to do 200 pull and 200 free, mostly by slowing way down and breathing easy.  Overall we had a blast, and I got a good workout at the same time.  I think spending some time on the other strokes helped my sense of balance in the water quite a bit. 

This time at the pool is FAR, FAR more important than any work out could ever be!!  Congratulations on spending such valuable time with your son!!  Your son will always remember times like this, so take as many as you can possibly get because he won't be around forever.  Before you know it he'll be having his own kids and you'll be hearing Grandpa instead of Dad.

2013-01-14 4:50 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I thought I would give you guys a bit of an update on my thought process from last weeks job situation.  I think I was reacting more on an emotional level than the reality of what it means to go backward in my job.  As far as the work I would like, I would much rather be placing my hands to work in the field than spending time on the phone and on a computer and watching other people do the hands on part of line work.  (I still miss doing the hands on most of the time.)  The change would be more than hands on. 

I am still mulling over the idea of going backward but it would be only if this one man effected would be losing his job entirely.  Right now I feel very confident that he will have a job.  It won't be a line crew supervisor's job, but there will be a place for him.  I've known this man for a while and I know he likes his job and he can't see beyond his current job loss right now.  He could actually choose to sever and that's what I would like to keep from happening.

My feeling is that nothing will change for me but I am waiting to see what happens with him before making any final decisions.  He'll have to decide by the end of this month.  Until then I'll be talking to him routinely.

2013-01-14 8:04 AM

User image

NH

Bhargav, I think it's a good choice to do Jorge's workouts, even two a week.  He actually talked about doing only two and suggested taking the 1st and 3rd and skipping the middle one as a good way to get the most bang for the buck.  The mental side of riding that hard is also a good thing and can serve you well.

Eric, I concur with Dirk that the time spent in the pool with your son is A+ time management.  I love hearing the stories of all the times our kids enjoy the sport with us.  Though my sons don't train at all with me (or even just at all) my oldest is my sherpa and the three of us did a sprint as a relay last fall which was certainly one of the highlights of my tri times.  They'll forget all the medals you bring home, but that time spent doing these things with them are the memories they'll keep.

Great job on that trail race Matt.  This is shaping up to be a breakout running year for you.

Dirk, at some point I'd like to talk about the job situation.  I faced a somewhat similar decision about two years back.  I'm a **bit** older than you (though my kids are younger!) so the inputs aren't exactly the same, but it's certainly a tough situation.  I find it hard to use this type of media for such a deep discussion, only because it seems difficult to get across all the nuances of what you're trying to say, but that might just be my age.

My family, me included, have been hit by the typhoid fever that seems to be gripping our area.  We are all really battling some serious sinus infection/head cold/fever something, and it's kicked my butt for sure.  I feel almost human today but still not quite stable.  One problem is that when I'm sick, I EAT.

2013-01-14 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4575410

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
bhargavs - 2013-01-12 5:27 PM

A quick update on my end. Today was my first 1x1 swim lesson and I think it went pretty well. On the positive side, the coach said that I was relatively comfortable with my face in the water, my stroke had a relaxed feel to it and I'm using my core well to drive the glide/switch. The negatives are that I kick too much, my hips/legs tend to sink (he said tense/stiff hips or may be just low body fat) and I need to work on better pull mechanics. My breathing is a neutral - if I consciously focus on it, I dont over rotate and have half my face in the water but sometimes he mentioned that I tended to lift my head up a bit. One of the suggestions was to look forward a touch instead of looking straight down and mentally feel the crest wave so that I feel comfortable breathing. I still need to work on bilateral breathing too. We tried a little bit of backstroke and it was a bit of the same hips/legs sinking problem there too. 

I have discovered that no amount of low bodyfat and lack of bouyancy make your hips and legs sink while swimming.  It's all about your technique.  Of course if your legs are very buoyant it does help and wouldn't require so much work on that part of the technique...

Now I feel like I at least have some kind of a roadmap in terms of what I need to work on instead of struggling through my sets. We didn't have a phone handy but I am thinking of getting myself taped next week and I'll post a link here after. 

Running has been coming along well. My one issue is that my HR tends to go up to 150-160 very soon and stays there. So I am trying to slow down more to get it down to zone 2 like some of you guys hav suggested here.

When your HR is between 150-160 how do you feel?  The old rule of thumb is could you carry on a conversation?  If so, then that HR is probably fine for you personally.  We are all different in that regard.  Nonetheless, it's most likely that pace is a bit too fast for you we just can't say for sure unless you know your HR zones.

I've been ignoring my bike and need your help for a plan. Given the focus on the swim right now, I felt I could go 2x a week on the bike. Was looking at different plans and I thought about the Jorge plan. But that thought lasted for all of 5 mins as I remembered Tony's detailed and colorful commentary hah!. I don't know what to do now. Is it possible to adapt the Jorge plan to 2x a week? Is there any other plan (on trainerroad may be?) that will provide some kind of a structure?

Any plan at all is beneficial.  It's often best to choose the plan that makes you most likely to do the workout!  In fact, no plan is really needed.   Just get on the bike for as much time as you can afford and strive for the highest average effort you can mentally tolerate (using average HR over the workout duration is a great way to measure this).

2013-01-14 11:23 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
KWDreamun - 2013-01-13 11:02 AM

Well, here's how that should work, but may not always work, depending on the individual...

The races that are long enough that you NEED to replenish fluids are supposedly long enough that your race pace is SLOW enough to drink and process the fluid without trouble.

The races that are done FAST enough to make it difficult to drink and process without trouble, should be short enough you don't need to deal with your fluid loss until the finish line.

FWIW, I don't replenish fluids in any race that's around an hour long, not even in 106 degree heat.  If the race is 2 hours long and temperatures are moderate (under 90 perhaps) then I don't drink until I'm done.

I only drink during a workout if the weather and the length make it likely that I will suffer ill effects before finishing.  You can safely lose 5lbs of sweat without any ill effects. (2.5%-3% of bodyweight)

When you do drink during a race, stop and walk until you've finished drinking.  In a race that long, the short walk won't hurt your finish time (could actually help) and you will avoid getting any air swallowed with the fluid.  If you take in air while drinking, while running, you are far more likely to have stomach issues.

2013-01-14 11:28 AM
in reply to: #4575942

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
mambos - 2013-01-13 9:58 AM

I now have a all new level of respect for the dedicated trail runners!  I completed a 8 mile trail race yesterday that was just shy of being absolutely brutal!  I did the same race last year but somehow forgot how hard the hills are!  The course was basically an out and back so I was able to get the enjoyment of doing all of the hills twice.  1st mistake was I didn't pace very well, 1st 2 miles I ran at an avg pace  of 8:40 and this just put me in a hole.  I probably should of been closer to 9:30, but instead I just kind of ran out of gas towards the end.  The other item I underestimated was the amount of mud on the course, through the majority I was slipping and sliding all over the place.  There was even one section where the mud was at least 2-3 inches deep and you had to be careful not to lose a shoe, luckily right after this section there was a waste deep creek crossing to wash all of the mud off!

Overall it was a fun race, I definitely used some muscles I don't normally use on my standard runs. (which I am paying for today with sore muscles).  My finish time of 1:21 is roughly 8 minutes faster than last year so thats a good improvement.  Now I have to decide if I want to do the next trail run in the series, that race is 14 miles long.  I should probably decide pretty soon so I can start running some hills to be better prepared.  Could be good motivation to keep the run miles high over the next 2 months.

This is just a small sample of the mud I was in, half of it had already washed off in some of the mud puddles I ran through.   Also check out this video of the creek crossing, this is the 1st one and the 2nd was much deep with more current to the point they had a rope stretched across so you didn't get washed away

That's awesome!  Yes, you most certainly should do the next event.  You don't need to 'race' it.  It would be a great way to do a long training run.  And either way, walk up the steep hills....even early in the race before needing to.

A good trail shoe will have a tread pattern that helps, but as muddy as this race was, no shoe would grab in the worst places.  A race with water crossings like that could really use shoes that are NON-absorbent to remain light by shedding all of the water.  I wonder if anyone makes the ideal shoe for a race like that?  Light for racing, off-road tread, maximum water shedding?

There are some triathlon running shoes that presume you will be wet and are designed to shed water well, but none of them are designed for off-road use.

2013-01-14 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4575855

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
KWDreamun - 2013-01-13 8:06 AM

Thanks for the advice on nutrition.  Since the cramping persisted all day I'm wondering if it was maybe a bug or did I just go to hard???  I finally started feeling better about 7:00 pm.  One thing is for sure, no more yogurt before a race!!!

Could exhaustion, lack of water last that long?  I thought it would be over a lot sooner than almost 12 hours later?

I have never experienced issues like you describe from going too hard.  Any nausea or cramping related to effort level always has subsided less than 30 minutes afterwards and usually by 5 minutes after.

You know your body though and I suspect you would have seen this be a pattern in the past if you were prone to this reaction to working out too hard.

My first thought was that you were struggling with something underlying and it hit you while you were racing.

I doubt you need to do anything different in your next race...but shot bloks during the race are probably a bad idea until/unless you are racing a HIM. 

2013-01-14 11:35 AM
in reply to: #4575804

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
trigal38 - 2013-01-13 6:50 AM

I held my own on the group ride and did the Junkies proud. My training friend Tiff and I were the only ladies with about 10 guys. I was always last going down hill - they were nice and tried to tell me it was only because I am small but umm, no. It's because I'm chicken and hit the brakes LOL! Downhills with curves with cars coming at me on a two lane road still make my stomach turn! That's ok because I caught back up to them going up hill and passed my fair share. I could have passed more and been more aggressive but I didn't want to come off like a show off or like I was a girl trying to show up the guys so I would work my way to the middle/front then just hang there. Honestly I really just need to keep pedaling fast to make it up the hills so I would have preferred everyone to get out of my way .  I did hold steady with the break away riders a few times which was a good check of my cycling fitness. My legs feel fine today, not even tired so I think my cycling is in a pretty good place at this point. These guys ride like little kids, hang out and chat for a while then all of a sudden someone just starts sprinting and dares everyone else to catch them . Fun and what a treat for January!

I've got to get back to work in the basement today. Our fixer up project is still going on. My husband has really been working hard to lay the laminate floor and he finished up the largest open space down there yesterday. Now it is my turn to get to work prepping and painting the new walls that make up our new closet and then put all of the toys back because the kids really miss their play area!

I love hearing about your ride.  You did us proud.  But next time....take it to the guys!!!

I love hearing about your home improvement work too... 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119