Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2013-08-27 6:01 AM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN

NADINE!!!  YOU........ARE..........AN................IRONMAN!! 

How's it feel?

2013-08-27 8:28 AM
in reply to: jfought

User image

Veteran
Naples
Nadin!!!! you rock! welcome to the club!

It's been a while, I was off all summer, finished writting a book and did some training in between. Hope everyone is well.

Training for HIM in Miami on Oct 27th.

2013-08-27 9:30 AM
in reply to: [email protected]

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Congratulations, Nadine!!
2013-08-28 9:49 AM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Who's "Labor Day" weekend is going to be spent representing the MG?  What's your race?  What are your goals? What is your plan?

If you're spending the weekend training, barbecuing, doing yardwork, or just relaxing, let's talk about recovery.  We all know it's important, but it's easy to neglect the things that aid in our recovery and get us ready for the next training session.  What do you do for recovery?  Is it different for the different sports?  What works for you and what doesn't?

2013-08-28 5:01 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Originally posted by jfought

Who's "Labor Day" weekend is going to be spent representing the MG?  What's your race?  What are your goals? What is your plan?

If you're spending the weekend training, barbecuing, doing yardwork, or just relaxing, let's talk about recovery.  We all know it's important, but it's easy to neglect the things that aid in our recovery and get us ready for the next training session.  What do you do for recovery?  Is it different for the different sports?  What works for you and what doesn't?

No racing for me quite yet.  We're headed to Minocqua tonight through Tuesday and that kicks off my official hibernation/recovery from most things IM.    For me, it'll mean far less working out, more sleep--not getting up at 4am and enjoying the things I miss most of the Summer training.

For daily recovery, it's the chocolate milk within 30' of a hard effort, the ice bath and a solid meal an hour later that gets me to the next workout.  I'm also a big proponent of sleep, massage, stretching and a few hours spent reading my favorite non-SBR novel.

Enjoy the Holiday folks!

2013-08-28 10:45 PM

User image

New user
I LOVE you guys, reading the posts was amazing!!! Will post recap tomorrow assuming I can focus......lots of stuff to say about the race. PS, no racing for me this weekend, do want to run and get back on bike.

2013-08-28 11:28 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

I am supposed to be doing an HIM+ on Sept 1.  I say "+" because the big leg is 105km.  The swim is 2km and the run is 20km.  I say " supposed" because typhoon #15 is currently forecast to arrive at the race area on Sept 1 morning.

2013-08-29 6:53 AM
in reply to: dcon

User image

Champion
Originally posted by dcon

I am supposed to be doing an HIM+ on Sept 1.  I say "+" because the big leg is 105km.  The swim is 2km and the run is 20km.  I say " supposed" because typhoon #15 is currently forecast to arrive at the race area on Sept 1 morning.

That would be one heck of a swim!

2013-08-29 6:07 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Elite
san francisco
Heyyyyyyya!!!!

Congratulations to Nadine on becoming an Ironman! Way to go! Can't wait to hear more about your big day.

Dan, be careful out there! Hopeful you have a safe race and the weather cooperates.

I am sorry I have been away so long, I think after my half ironman was over, I went into a space that could not include triathlon. The culmination of this whole crazy year of change just caught up with me and I had no energy for any of it and didn't want to bog all of you down with my downer-ness (not a word and Kyla will probably call me out on that!)

Anyhow, my ears were ringing a little bit and I remembered Nadine was racing IM last weekend, so I checked in. Thanks for thinking of me!

SO, I am starting my run training for a half marathon and decided to log my runs on BT at least until the race to keep myself honest. I will deal with the annoying BT format for now and just get them logged!

Have a wonderful taper weekend, Suzy!

Linda-I know you are sort of tapering, too! You guys have all put in such hard work and are going to rock the races!

Mike, I hope you are able to get some good training in, too!

Looks like our Linda C. is tapering for a half, too!

okay, that's all I've got!

2013-08-29 9:36 PM
in reply to: Nadscats

User image

New user
Ok, here it is...Let me start by saying Whistler is BEAUTIFUL!!! I didn't really get any training in during the week cause I was working from Hotel. Only about a mile run, then Saturday finally got in a swim and bike. You had to ride your bike 2 miles to Rainbow Park/T1. I finally tried my full wetsuit a week before the race and it took away about 75% of my panic so hoping it was not a fluke, and it wasn't. Felt really good about the race on Saturday. Sunday morning as we are getting ready to go to the water, the announcer was picking out numbers from a sheet and goes, "We have Nadine Taylor here today, she is a 3rd degree black belt", I was going hey that's me, Im right here, and my friend tells him that my husband is watching from Afghanistan. He turns to me and says, ya know what Nadine, this was meant to be, you are going to be an ironman today. I got goose bumps, but that was all I could think about, it was meant to be.

The swim:
The park is really small so no-one can drive there. If anyone wants to spectate, they have to walk. The lake is also small but was really calm. The start was crazy. There was only about 150 mtrs from shore to buoys so there was no way to get out of the masses at all. I stayed calm and tried to avoid feet. I felt ok but my elbow gave out about 3/4 through first lap, so flailed with one arm and pulled with the other. Finally finished at 1:42, faster than I thought I would be.

The Bike:
OMG, this was the mother of all bikes. I could never have imagined how hard this course would be. They said around 4000 ft of climbing...it is over 6000. It took me around 2.5 hours just to do the first 35 miles or so. Everywhere you turned there was another hill. The only flat was out to Pemberton for about 18 miles, but you have a head wind one direction. Then you hit the steep climb at mile 90 or so. At that point it was hot. It took me 2 hours to go 12 miles!! It continued to be all hills the rest of the way. I finished with only 12 minutes to spare. FYI, the top 2 pros said it was the hardest course they have ever done. I did not think I was going to make it, just kept telling myself, don't stop, not today!! Figured if I did not make it, I knew I gave everything I had. Finished with an 8:24 bike.

The Run:
When I got into transition they were telling me I had to start the run by 5:30 pm and I was not quite with it so...did not have time to put on blister block, knee brace or anything. You had to run the perimeter of the transition area before you hit the mat, so I took off but never had time to collect myself. I ran about a 1/4 mile or so and then...I could not run at all, my legs were spent from the bike. Defeat set in wondering how I was going to be able to do 26 miles. On about mile 3 I came into a downhill, tried running, I could do it, so...started to do some kind of a race walk trying to hold a 15 minute mile. I would walk the uphill and run the down. Pretty soon it felt good. Kept telling myself I am not going to fail over 20 miles, then 15 miles, then 13 etc. My running was at a 10-11 min pace so I was averaging ok. Watch quit so had no idea how much time I had so just kept pushing. I ended up passing 3 of my teammates but had no idea cause part was on a trail and pitch black. I took the soup. I felt good towards the end and I heard someone say Finish Strong, I gave it everything I had, today failure was NOT an option. My run was 6:01.

At 11:26 pm, I became an Ironman,16 hours and 26 min. That feeling of running through the chute is something I will never forget. I want to thank all of you for the support, information, ideas and encouragement. This is what a mentor group is all about, you guys ROCK!!

Overall: the course is beautiful and it is awesome seeing the Olympic ski jumps etc., but I would probably never do that course again, it is a bit out of my league. That seemed to be the common theme with most folks I talked with. Good for the hard-cores, but for first-timers....not so much.
2013-08-30 6:23 AM

User image

Champion

Nadine--what a great effort.  I love the start of your race with the announcer.  It was really meant to be!  I have to admit I'm intrigued by Whistler.  I saw some photos of the swim start and thought it looked beautiful.  IM WI has 6,000 ft of climbing so at least I know what I would be in for.

Kim-welcome back!  We missed you.

Linda C.--details on the half lady!

Linda N.--I'm hearing rumblings they might cancel Tahoe due to the weather issues.  have you heard that?

I'm on the slow slide into taper and pre IM hibernation.  Did my last hard bike workout on Wednesday and run workout yesterday.  Woo-Hoo!  Bike is tuned up and the mechanic actually figured out a way for me to carry a tubular tire, not pretty, but it works.  Working on my nutrition plan today.  That's it!

2013-08-30 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Nadine, I really enjoyed reading your post this morning. I just had to get on here and tell you what an inspirational story and performance you shared. I am so happy for you. You are amazing and it was meant to be!!
2013-08-30 6:42 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Great summary and great race Nadine!!!Welcome back Kim. It is great to hear from you.The typhoon burned itself out, but the weather is still really unpredictable. It is going to be 95 today and they are calling for rain and strong winds tonight and early morning. I am hoping that too will change.
2013-08-31 7:00 PM

User image

Master

Congratulations, Nadine! Love your heart, spirit, and story. Very cool pre-race karma!! I've talked with some friends who raced up there and it sounds like a bear of a bike course. Love that you conquered it, Ironman!!!!!!

Can't wait to cheer on the other IronPeeps soon!

Hope you can race, Dan, and that you crush it! Cheers to all!!!

2013-09-01 1:53 PM
in reply to: kkcbelle

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
I ran an oly this morning. Felt fine in the water and on the bike, but coming off the bike I could not get my heart rate down. I don't feel like I cooked the bike, but maybe that's the obvious conclusion. Maybe my lack of swim time had something to do with it? I really don't know. The bike felt really easy compared to last year's race on this course. My legs felt great and energetic on the run, but my chest was tight and my HR was through the roof. I tried to walk it off, but every time I started running, it just shot back up. Not the result I was hoping for.

On the plus side, however, I raced with two guys from work who completed their first triathlons today! Very happy for them!

2013-09-01 4:17 PM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Short story for now: they cancelled the swim because the surf was just too nasty. I did the bike leg about 38 minutes faster than last year (3:31 for 105km) and the run leg about 13 minutes faster (1:42 for 20 km though my Garmin says it was closer to 19....anyway it was the same course as last year). They have posted some of the time data and it looks like I came in 7 out of 54 in my age group. Needless to say, I am extremely happy with those time improvements.

2013-09-01 7:56 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Let's do it together:
I've heard there is Poutine and beer at the finish.

Dear Trevor Cochran,
Thank you! You are now registered for the 2014 Subaru IRONMAN Mont-Tremblant - General Entry. Please check the event's website for updates.

2013-09-02 4:29 AM
in reply to: TrevorC

User image

Expert
Noosa
Originally posted by TrevorCLet's do it together:I've heard there is Poutine and beer at the finish.Dear Trevor Cochran, Thank you! You are now registered for the 2014 Subaru IRONMAN Mont-Tremblant - General Entry. Please check the event's website for updates.

Wow! I think Mont Tremblant will be great, I'm sort of commited to racing IM Western Australia 2014, my possibly-future BIL is coming over to do it. This is your third, right? When will your IM training start?

2013-09-02 12:11 PM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

Sorry for the absence. I have been lurking not posting.

Great job Nadine. I know a few people that were doing IM Louisville thatdid not have the same result. Congrats on being an Ironwoman!

Less than a month from Augusta and started the last training cycle today! it is almost here. Been spending a lot of time training.... I did not know how much commitment this takes. I am fully aware now. We are crazy....

Have a great Labor day!

2013-09-02 2:21 PM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Originally posted by copa2251

Originally posted by TrevorCLet's do it together:I've heard there is Poutine and beer at the finish.Dear Trevor Cochran, Thank you! You are now registered for the 2014 Subaru IRONMAN Mont-Tremblant - General Entry. Please check the event's website for updates.

Wow! I think Mont Tremblant will be great, I'm sort of commited to racing IM Western Australia 2014, my possibly-future BIL is coming over to do it. This is your third, right? When will your IM training start?

3rd one yes. Going to go this one without a coach. I have my old plans, just need to revise the dates by 2weeks.
Give or take, jam 1 it begins again!
2013-09-02 4:58 PM
in reply to: TrevorC

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Yea, Trevor!!!!

We're off by a year.......that's on our 2015 plan!  I'll expect detailed race reports and course preview.  Very exciting!!

2013-09-02 6:01 PM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Champion
Originally posted by velcromom

Yea, Trevor!!!!

We're off by a year.......that's on our 2015 plan!  I'll expect detailed race reports and course preview.  Very exciting!!

I've thought about it or Whistler, but not for 2014!

2013-09-02 9:03 PM

User image

New user
Nice job Dan, 7-54 is awesome!!
2013-09-03 5:58 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by dcon Short story for now: they cancelled the swim because the surf was just too nasty. I did the bike leg about 38 minutes faster than last year (3:31 for 105km) and the run leg about 13 minutes faster (1:42 for 20 km though my Garmin says it was closer to 19....anyway it was the same course as last year). They have posted some of the time data and it looks like I came in 7 out of 54 in my age group. Needless to say, I am extremely happy with those time improvements.

Awesome job Dan!  Probably a good idea they cancelled that swim!!!!

2013-09-03 6:58 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Originally posted by dcon Short story for now: they cancelled the swim because the surf was just too nasty. I did the bike leg about 38 minutes faster than last year (3:31 for 105km) and the run leg about 13 minutes faster (1:42 for 20 km though my Garmin says it was closer to 19....anyway it was the same course as last year). They have posted some of the time data and it looks like I came in 7 out of 54 in my age group. Needless to say, I am extremely happy with those time improvements.

Awesome job Dan!  Probably a good idea they cancelled that swim!!!!

If they had not cancelled, I would have bailed on the swim and just started on the bike (not sure if that is common in other country races, but it seems to be standard here, i.e., if you dnf the swim, you can jump back in on the bike at the swim time cutoff).   They held off their decision until 5:15 am.   The long course folks (Ironman distance plus an extra 10 km on the bike) were due to go off at 6am.  There was a lot of nervous laughter when they made the call.   The waves were still fast and furious.

RR tomorrow....promise....

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44