2013-07-12 12:44 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: RE: 100d x 10m = 1 strong core
Originally posted by switch
Originally posted by noelle1230

Originally posted by MSU_Brad Another day in. Swam with noelle and some other Michigan BTers, then tried to go for a bike before finding a bad chain problem. Pulled out a 2 mile run to test my calf. Then, inspired by Noelle, dropped 10 minutes of core work right there in the park. BRENDA got a big ole butt, I know I told you I'd be true, But BRENDA got a big ole butt, So I'm leavin' you.

Nice!!

Who's Brenda?

Hey Noelle, whatchoogot today? Don't you give me this "I can't think of a single hard rock song with butts" bs, or you might need to "kiss my country azz".

Seriously man.  I even did a search online for all lyrics containing the word butt.  All that comes up is about 1000 rap songs and several rock covers of Baby Got Back....some of which I want to check out!

But I did my core work yesterday.  Doesn't that count for something??

2013-07-12 12:44 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by Asalzwed
Originally posted by MSU_Brad

Originally posted by MSU_Brad Another day in. Swam with noelle and some other Michigan BTers, then tried to go for a bike before finding a bad chain problem. Pulled out a 2 mile run to test my calf. Then, inspired by Noelle, dropped 10 minutes of core work right there in the park. BRENDA got a big ole butt, I know I told you I'd be true, But BRENDA got a big ole butt, So I'm leavin' you.

Nice!!

Who's Brenda?

Ha! Oh, yo, it was Brenda, yo, she worked at Red Lobster but I didn't remember. Brenda caught LL Cool J with Lisa on the table at Red Lobster.

Brenda had a baby

I am so confused?  Are these song lyrics?  I am so clueless.

Yes, we are performing a mash up of LL Cool J and 2Pac Wink

2013-07-12 12:46 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

This, after 45 min of the freakin' hardest RPM class I've ever done (almost 10 min in Z5):

"Core Essentials" class:  plank, plank, side plank, pulse plank, rocking plank, throw up in mouth, another plank, some kind of other bendy thing, collapse on floor.

Shake shake shake
Shake shake shake
Shake your booty
Shake your booty

Gotta get our disco on!!!  (You're welcome for that song earworm Cool).

2013-07-12 1:01 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Ah, that explains it!

Okay, totally off topic but give me some tips for a fast 5K tomorrow morning.  I haven't done a stand alone in years.  I believe you broke 20 recently??  I'm probably not in danger of doing that but I'd love to break 21 at this point.  Any special warm ups, rituals or tricks that have helped you be ready to just throw that hammer down?

2013-07-12 1:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale

Nice!!

Who's Brenda?

Ha! Oh, yo, it was Brenda, yo, she worked at Red Lobster but I didn't remember. Brenda caught LL Cool J with Lisa on the table at Red Lobster.

Brenda had a baby

I am so confused?  Are these song lyrics?  I am so clueless.

Yep, LL Cool J..... Big ol butt.......

BRENDA got a big ole butt
I know I told you I'd be true
But BRENDA got a big ole butt
So I'm leavin' you
BRENDA got a big ole butt
I know I told you I'd be true
But BRENDA got a big ole butt
So I'm leavin' you

Some song lyrics are so much funnier when you just read them.......
2013-07-12 1:09 PM

User image

Seattle

Ah, that explains it!

Okay, totally off topic but give me some tips for a fast 5K tomorrow morning.  I haven't done a stand alone in years.  I believe you broke 20 recently??  I'm probably not in danger of doing that but I'd love to break 21 at this point.  Any special warm ups, rituals or tricks that have helped you be ready to just throw that hammer down?

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=494842&posts=19#M4802484 Smile

1. Warm Up. I can't stress this enough. No, you won't run out of gas because you warmed up. 

I generally do some veeeeerrrry easy miles and then just before the race a few strides (if you don't know what those are, I can explain)

2. Don't go out to fast. It never, ever pays off

3. Relax and focus

2013-07-12 1:14 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Gimme that donkey butt and them big ol' legs, I ain't too proud to beg.

Just don't make me bust into DJ Assault, or I might actually get banned from the forum.
2013-07-12 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=494842&posts=19#M4802484 Smile

1. Warm Up. I can't stress this enough. No, you won't run out of gas because you warmed up. 

I generally do some veeeeerrrry easy miles and then just before the race a few strides (if you don't know what those are, I can explain)

3. Relax and focus

Exellent.  Ya know, I've done strides...but it's been awhile so I honestly do not remember what they are Undecided

And when you say "some" very easy miles are you talking 2?  or like 5?

2013-07-12 1:25 PM

User image

Seattle

3. Relax and focus

Exellent.  Ya know, I've done strides...but it's been awhile so I honestly do not remember what they are Undecided

That all depends on what you are comfortable with. It's also why you should practice this to figure out what works for you. I would probably stay on the shorter side since you don't know.

Strides are a funny thing. They are fast not hard. Keep that concept in your head. I usually do them over approximately 200 meters. Use the first 100m to accelerate. Now think of the fast vs. hard. Be sure you are turning your legs over quickly but not straining. Relax your face, try not to clench your fists or hunch your shoulders. Once you get up to speed, hold it for about 100. Just float. Then decelerate (don't abruptly stop.) And fully recover. That's it.

2013-07-12 1:29 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

3. Relax and focus

That all depends on what you are comfortable with. It's also why you should practice this to figure out what works for you. I would probably stay on the shorter side since you don't know.

Strides are a funny thing. They are fast not hard. Keep that concept in your head. I usually do them over approximately 200 meters. Use the first 100m to accelerate. Now think of the fast vs. hard. Be sure you are turning your legs over quickly but not straining. Relax your face, try not to clench your fists or hunch your shoulders. Once you get up to speed, hold it for about 100. Just float. Then decelerate (don't abruptly stop.) And fully recover. That's it.

Don't you just build your strides into your warmup run near the end? Or do you actually stop and then do them separately?

I have definitely found I do run better when I get some distance in before a race, as well as a few stride like bursts. I don't normally get more than a mile, though.
2013-07-12 1:31 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

User image

Seattle

3. Relax and focus

Don't you just build your strides into your warmup run near the end? Or do you actually stop and then do them separately? I have definitely found I do run better when I get some distance in before a race, as well as a few stride like bursts. I don't normally get more than a mile, though.

You can do them however you'd like.

2013-07-12 1:38 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

3. Relax and focus

Don't you just build your strides into your warmup run near the end? Or do you actually stop and then do them separately? I have definitely found I do run better when I get some distance in before a race, as well as a few stride like bursts. I don't normally get more than a mile, though.

I was just asking how *you* do them, mix master.
2013-07-12 1:41 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Ah, that explains it!

3. Relax and focus

Wow, Salty slipping up:

4. Drink a beer or two the night before.

2013-07-12 1:41 PM

User image

Seattle

3. Relax and focus

I was just asking how *you* do them, mix master.

Ohhhh.

It all depends on the race and what kind of space I am working with for warming up. For a road race it's usually easier to just build them into the warmup at the end, more like a fartlek.

For track races (which BTW I have only done 2 of) I stop and then do them, doing a couple on the infield and then at least one on the track IMMEDIATELY before the starting gun. 

Take this all with a grain of salt because 1. I am relatively new to running and 2. Everyone is different

2013-07-12 1:43 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by cdban66

Ah, that explains it!

3. Relax and focus

Wow, Salty slipping up:

Dammit you're right!

Also, at least one immediately after!

2013-07-12 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Ah, that explains it!

3. Relax and focus

Wow, Salty slipping up:

Dammit you're right!

Or is that strictly a pro move Sensai, one that we humans must work up to?

2013-07-12 1:47 PM

User image

Seattle

Ah, that explains it!

3. Relax and focus

Wow, Salty slipping up:

Dammit you're right!

No, I think it should be incorporated into a race plan as soon as possible for maximum benefit. 

2013-07-12 1:58 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Ah, that explains it!

3. Relax and focus

Wow, Salty slipping up:

Dammit you're right!

No, I think it should be incorporated into a race plan as soon as possible for maximum benefit. 

Tonight it is!

2013-07-12 2:10 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
This team is just begging to be part of a Beer Mile Race. Anyone here ever done it?
2013-07-12 2:11 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by MSU_Brad This team is just begging to be part of a Beer Mile Race. Anyone here ever done it?

It's on my list for the summer. I am actually doing a milk mile this Sunday, I figure that will be my trial run. Baby steps.

2013-07-12 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
LET VACATION BEGIN!!!!!!

2013-07-12 2:22 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

Originally posted by MSU_Brad This team is just begging to be part of a Beer Mile Race. Anyone here ever done it?

It's on my list for the summer. I am actually doing a milk mile this Sunday, I figure that will be my trial run. Baby steps.

That sounds like my kind of horrible fun, actually. Similar rules? Do you drink milk every 1/4 mile or is it that you chug a certain amount before starting?

(milk.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
milk.jpg (11KB - 9 downloads)
2013-07-12 2:22 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by caffer

Originally posted by caffer Today done. 1 Min each 15 sec rest 2 sets... Push-up with side hand step Bicycle Plank to Push-up hold Plank jack 8 Count crunch/pulse/hold Sorry, can't think of a butt lyric right now...... Have a good night all!

Not even one little butt lyric?  Just one?

Oh, alright.

You gotta help me out here--what's a "plank jack"?

Found one, don't think it has been posted.."Shake ya But watch ya selfShake ya Show me what you workin with"Plank Jack... Plank with jumping jack moveStart in plank position feet togetherJump your feet off the floor, spread your legs into a VJump your feet off the floor bring feet back togetherRepeat....Make sure to keep your back flat and core engaged so that you do not slouch or arch up. I find that I cannot do a minute straight yet with perfect form. I have to take a quick 1 or 2 second breather during my set.
Oh those sound perfectly brutal. Nice. Shake it like a salt shaker.

or a Polaroid picture. 

Speaking of which, it hit me during my run this morning that you're not self conscious, you just think were dorks for abs selfies. I see how you are

Welllllll, you said it, not me! Wink

Suck it beotch. Xo. "Tryin to get to you and that booty."
2013-07-12 2:24 PM

User image

Seattle

That sounds like my kind of horrible fun, actually. Similar rules? Do you drink milk every 1/4 mile or is it that you chug a certain amount before starting?

Every quarter.

Aint gonna be pretty, that's fo sho.

2013-07-12 2:25 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

I have a brewers yeast intolerance.  I'm SUCH a loser.  I never drink before or after races.  Please don't kick me out.  I do love wine.  Hubs and I spent our honeymoon drunk in Sonoma.

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » 100d x 10m = 1 strong core Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED POSTS

MARCH ABS / CORE RESULTS

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1421 Posts: 3

2007-04-03 4:11 PM annie

ABS CORE - End of Week #3

Started by hazmaster
Views: 2065 Posts: 19

2007-04-03 7:41 AM saling4

MARCH ABS / CORE - 2ND WEEK!

Started by hazmaster
Views: 1733 Posts: 14

2007-03-26 4:13 PM tritwinmom

ABS / CORE MARCH CHALLENGE - TEAM LIST Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by hazmaster
Views: 10594 Posts: 121

2007-03-20 3:06 PM hazmaster

May Core Strengthening Challenge Pages: 1 2 3

Started by madkat
Views: 5610 Posts: 52

2006-06-03 2:57 PM madkat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 22, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Will you will finish your next triathlon swim strong, or will you run out of steam before you even start the majority of your race?

date : September 3, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
comments : 2
Why triathletes must absolutely warm up, activate muscles, strengthen core, and stretch effectively.
date : July 26, 2006
author : Ron
How do you know if your strength training is effective? Are you getting stronger? Several training log graphs can lend a clue.

date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Weight training and core strength information and links for the silver/gold plans.
date : January 30, 2006
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 0
The goal of this program is simple – for the cyclist to have IMPROVED performance when the next season rolls around, not merely to maintain last season’s fitness.

date : June 14, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 3
Top swimmers rotate the core of the body from one side to the other while keeping the head fixed. When you rotate in this way, you move through the water more like a fish, maximizing your efficiency.
date : May 3, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 55
A strong core will allow you to keep optimal body alignment for whatever you’re doing (swim, bike or run), and this in turn will reduce your fatigue in the long run.

date : March 21, 2005
author : Manny
Train your core! The following program is designed for an in-season triathlete, can be done anywhere and with no equipment.