BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-06-23 10:08 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)
It's 5 o'clock somewhere...

2015-06-23 10:14 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by cdban66

One piece of the First Aid kit that I would think about would be what do you need for your area. Some stuff (bandages, ointment) might be standard, while others (snake bite, or rain fly) might not be necessary in your area.

Given today's run, I need something for sprained ankles in mine.  The funny part of that is that I twisted the ankle, turned off my watch, and thought of this discussion. All in the matter of a second or two. 

yikes, sorry about your ankle!!

I thought you were going to say that given the temps where we fun, all first aid kits should include an inflatable pool (and water)!  

Portable AC unit

2015-06-23 10:14 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Jet Black It's 5 o'clock somewhere...

You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning.

2015-06-23 10:22 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner

Ima need y'all to send me some patience. My dad is here with his SO and she drives me bat chit crazy. She is the polar opposite of me and two days is usually about all I can take. They've been here since Saturday and don't leave until tomorrow. I may go postal 

Deep breaths, lots of training runs, and plenty of recovery beverages.  Hang in there and lock up the Glock.  At least you have work for a bit of an escape, unless you're taking time off?

2015-06-23 10:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

Ima need y'all to send me some patience. My dad is here with his SO and she drives me bat chit crazy. She is the polar opposite of me and two days is usually about all I can take. They've been here since Saturday and don't leave until tomorrow. I may go postal 

Deep breaths, lots of training runs, and plenty of recovery beverages.  Hang in there and lock up the Glock.  At least you have work for a bit of an escape, unless you're taking time off?

I told DH I'm working 'till tomorrow afternoon , or I may run a marathon after work, in 100* heat . He said he needs to look at a car... in Istanbul. DS1 has been at the gym... a lot! 

ETA: when DS2 is home he finds her fascinating. Remember, his degree is in abnormal psychology

Edited by rrrunner 2015-06-23 10:32 AM
2015-06-23 10:54 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I told DH I'm working 'till tomorrow afternoon , or I may run a marathon after work, in 100* heat . He said he needs to look at a car... in Istanbul. DS1 has been at the gym... a lot! 

ETA: when DS2 is home he finds her fascinating. Remember, his degree is in abnormal psychology

TJ, my FIL has been married 4 times. With 2 live ins in between all of that. His current one is a as close to normal as I can hope for, given his history.  However, 24 hours is the best I can hope for under one roof with them, anything more than that and I might borrow one of the tools of your trade. And I'm a fairly peaceable guy.

I guess I'm saying that I feel your pain.  And you're in the home stretch!  One more day.

If you can't make it that long, just have a good plan to hide the body.

2015-06-23 11:01 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

TJ, my FIL has been married 4 times. With 2 live ins in between all of that. His current one is a as close to normal as I can hope for, given his history.  However, 24 hours is the best I can hope for under one roof with them, anything more than that and I might borrow one of the tools of your trade. And I'm a fairly peaceable guy.

I guess I'm saying that I feel your pain.  And you're in the home stretch!  One more day.

If you can't make it that long, just have a good plan to hide the body.

Ha! Thanks for the encouragement.

Missed your sexeh smile around here yesterday. I was going to comment on the FB fathers day pic. That was quite a mustache you were rocking back in the day.

2015-06-23 11:05 AM

User image

Denver, CO

At least the whole fam is in agreement.  Too bad the visitors aren't.  Mark Twain said that fish and visitors smell the same after 3 days.  They appear to be past their use-by date.

2015-06-23 11:15 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

At least the whole fam is in agreement.  Too bad the visitors aren't.  Mark Twain said that fish and visitors smell the same after 3 days.  They appear to be past their use-by date.

My Dad could stay as long as he likes... alone. He even lived with us for a while a few years ago.  I think he figured out last night that she was being especially irritating. Even he was getting short with her.

2015-06-23 11:27 AM

User image

Seattle

Wouldn't you know it, I ran up Tiger Mountain with a teammate yesterday, felt totally back to normal. lol

2015-06-23 11:39 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Wouldn't you know it, I ran up Tiger Mountain with a teammate yesterday, felt totally back to normal. lol

Must have been some kryptonite at the race

2015-06-23 11:56 AM

User image

Seattle

One piece of the First Aid kit that I would think about would be what do you need for your area. Some stuff (bandages, ointment) might be standard, while others (snake bite, or rain fly) might not be necessary in your area.

Given today's run, I need something for sprained ankles in mine.  The funny part of that is that I twisted the ankle, turned off my watch, and thought of this discussion. All in the matter of a second or two. 

Twisted ankle? I say whiskey and an ankle wrap (duct tape)  

In all seriousness, are you alright? 

It's amazing how quickly things can happen. And the smallest of things become magnified when you are in the backcountry. 

And yes, to the points Stacy made absolutely on water. For longer stuff I also carry either  a filter, a life straw or both. For the PCT run I will likely carry both. As for the location tracker. Brad and I will likely carry one. I wouldn't for the local stuff though. They are pricey, even to rent.  I do always let people know where I am going though. 

2015-06-23 12:11 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by msteiner

Speaking of trail running. I did my first PPA training faceplant this weekend. Aspen is usually off leash because we rarely encounter people on the trails.  Well this weekend we were doing an easier trail on top of the mountain so there were more people and she was on the leash. She decided to chase a critter at about the same time I was navigating my footing on a section with lots of rocks. And down I went. Some minor cuts to the knee and a reminder that I need a first aid kit...

Ahhh boy. Inevitable, but glad you are alright! At least you have a 4-legged friend to place the blame on.

I used to be a fly by the seat of my pants kinda gal but after spending more and more time in the backcountry I realize how important it is to take safety incredibly seriously. A first aid kit is really simple but really important. 

Yeah, DH and I were discussing it. I think I'm going to start carrying a snake bite kit too. They have them at REI and they aren't expensive. Might even think about carrying that on our morning runs out in the desert. One guy said in his review that he used it for his dog so that would be good for either of us.

That's an interesting topic, btw http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB124208165196508345

And while we are on it, what do you all think is absolutely necessary for a first aid/emergency kit for the trail?

I've got: emergency shelter/blanket, emergency rain poncho (might be a little redundant but worth it to me,) gauze/dressing , bandages of various sizes, blister care, athletic tape, topical antibiotic cream, ibu and acetaminophen,sunscreen tube,ziploc bag, lighter, duct tape, safety pins and zip ties. 

One thing I see on a lot of lists is an irrigation syringe and tweezers, but I don't have them in there. 

That looks like a solid list.  I'm not sure if I fell and hurt myself running on a trail that I would be calm enough to use tweezers effectively.

Bet Erin could put the tweezers to use.  She's had a few close encounters with cacti, especially on her bike.  Not sure they'd really be necessary in an emergency kit, though.  As irritating as splinters/cactus spines are, they generally aren't debilitating or life threatening, at least in my experience.

2015-06-23 12:14 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by amd723

yikes, sorry about your ankle!!

I thought you were going to say that given the temps where we fun, all first aid kits should include an inflatable pool (and water)!  

Portable AC unit

One of those little fan hats and some batteries?  Might be a little lighter than an AC unit or a pool.

2015-06-23 12:19 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

It's amazing how quickly things can happen. And the smallest of things become magnified when you are in the backcountry. 

And yes, to the points Stacy made absolutely on water. For longer stuff I also carry either  a filter, a life straw or both. For the PCT run I will likely carry both. As for the location tracker. Brad and I will likely carry one. I wouldn't for the local stuff though. They are pricey, even to rent.  I do always let people know where I am going though. 

My phone has, generally, worked on the trails we've done.  As for a filter, this is the desert, there is no water to be filtered . We do carry lots of water though. The dog carries her own water/food and we get comments about her pack from most everyone we meet.

ETA: note to self, add whiskey to the first aid kit

Edited by rrrunner 2015-06-23 12:20 PM
2015-06-23 12:26 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by msteiner

Speaking of trail running. I did my first PPA training faceplant this weekend. Aspen is usually off leash because we rarely encounter people on the trails.  Well this weekend we were doing an easier trail on top of the mountain so there were more people and she was on the leash. She decided to chase a critter at about the same time I was navigating my footing on a section with lots of rocks. And down I went. Some minor cuts to the knee and a reminder that I need a first aid kit...

Ahhh boy. Inevitable, but glad you are alright! At least you have a 4-legged friend to place the blame on.

I used to be a fly by the seat of my pants kinda gal but after spending more and more time in the backcountry I realize how important it is to take safety incredibly seriously. A first aid kit is really simple but really important. 

Yeah, DH and I were discussing it. I think I'm going to start carrying a snake bite kit too. They have them at REI and they aren't expensive. Might even think about carrying that on our morning runs out in the desert. One guy said in his review that he used it for his dog so that would be good for either of us.

That's an interesting topic, btw http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB124208165196508345

And while we are on it, what do you all think is absolutely necessary for a first aid/emergency kit for the trail?

I've got: emergency shelter/blanket, emergency rain poncho (might be a little redundant but worth it to me,) gauze/dressing , bandages of various sizes, blister care, athletic tape, topical antibiotic cream, ibu and acetaminophen,sunscreen tube,ziploc bag, lighter, duct tape, safety pins and zip ties. 

One thing I see on a lot of lists is an irrigation syringe and tweezers, but I don't have them in there. 

That looks like a solid list.  I'm not sure if I fell and hurt myself running on a trail that I would be calm enough to use tweezers effectively.

Bet Erin could put the tweezers to use.  She's had a few close encounters with cacti, especially on her bike.  Not sure they'd really be necessary in an emergency kit, though.  As irritating as splinters/cactus spines are, they generally aren't debilitating or life threatening, at least in my experience.

Well, maybe. A splinter on the bottom of your foot with 75 miles of running ahead of you might be pretty debilitating. Or maybe a tick

2015-06-23 12:26 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by StaceyK For those of you that run outside in low light conditions do you use a head lamp of some sort? I have reverted to walking my dogs after work so that I can run in the morning, but this is meaning that it is almost totally dark before I am done. Since I walk them along the fire trails in the back paddock there is no lighting and the ground is very rocky and uneven so I am in the market for a head lamp to ensure that neither the dogs or I fall over and break a leg, cause bags not carrying one of them home.

I've been using a Magicshine MJ-886.  If you wanted the brightest light that will turn night into day, at 550 lumens this thing is great.  Only downside is battery life is only a few hours but it has a rechargeable battery pack.

http://magicshineusa.com/products/lights

2015-06-23 1:25 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Anybody know how to embed instagram videos here?

Edited by Jet Black 2015-06-23 1:27 PM
2015-06-23 1:49 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Jet Black Anybody know how to embed instagram videos here?

straight from the google:To get an embed code for your Instagram photo or video, you'll need to first visit the post on the web: Go to http://instagram.com/[username]and then click the post to expand it. Click in the bottom-right corner and select Embed. Copy the embed code that appears and paste it into your web page's HTML.

2015-06-23 2:15 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK For those of you that run outside in low light conditions do you use a head lamp of some sort? I have reverted to walking my dogs after work so that I can run in the morning, but this is meaning that it is almost totally dark before I am done. Since I walk them along the fire trails in the back paddock there is no lighting and the ground is very rocky and uneven so I am in the market for a head lamp to ensure that neither the dogs or I fall over and break a leg, cause bags not carrying one of them home.

If I run in the dark wear a headlamp but more to be seen than to see so I'm not much help :-(

2015-06-23 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

straight from the google:To get an embed code for your Instagram photo or video, you'll need to first visit the post on the web: Go to http://instagram.com/[username]and then click the post to expand it. Click in the bottom-right corner and select Embed. Copy the embed code that appears and paste it into your web page's HTML.

My pics will load into my log, but I got nuthin' but complaints when I posted to this fine thread. Evidently, no one could see them. Videos may be different.

2015-06-23 2:18 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

My pics will load into my log, but I got nuthin' but complaints when I posted to this fine thread. Evidently, no one could see them. Videos may be different.

Yeah, I tried that and it didn't work. Looked just like when you posed yours. Gray box with nothing in it.
2015-06-23 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I have not had good luck with Instagram and BT playing nicely together.

2015-06-23 2:27 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by jmkizer

If I run in the dark wear a headlamp but more to be seen than to see so I'm not much help :-(

To see vs be seen just pick a lamp with more lumen output (as well as taking a look at the beam distance.) Just beware in most cases this means less battery life. There are many options that are rechargeable if that is something you are interested in. 

2015-06-23 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I'm fine, it is a recurring thing since HS. Luckily, it was light, so I figure I'm back to running by Saturday. It is in a sleeve at the moment.

Bourbon was last night, hmmm, maybe that contributed to the issue 

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 68396 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29145 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12300 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 38640 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67870 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.