Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 123

2023-05-15 6:19 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Very nice, gentle 1200yds in the pool this morning for a "rest day". Maybe later I'll do some strength training...kinda depends on how my call to the bike shop goes--maybe have to take my bike down to the shop (a good 45' away from where I live by car). Hoping they have 1.) someone who speaks English (because my Arabic is terrible and generally doesn't include bike specific nouns) and 2.) a pickup/drop off service.

There will be NO strength training today! I went to do a set of glute bridges and both hamstrings cramped so hard I was rolling on the floor in pain. I think my body is trying to tell me something!

Talked to the bike shop and not only do they offer pick up and delivery service, but they offer transport to the endurance festival next week (for a grand total of $21 they will transport bike to and from race venue and deliver it back to your house). They are coming to pick up my bike for service, so I think I will have them keep the bike and do the transport, getting the bike delivered back to me at my office, which is near my new apartment--that I move into the day after I return from the endurance festival. This is solving so many problems with one service!

This sounds like a super fun race weekend, and amazing they transport it for you!!! That makes that so much easier!

2023-05-15 6:20 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN
Happy belated Mother's Day to Nathalie and Jenn!

Andrew, glad you are getting to meet up for a run soon. It definitely makes a huge difference having someone to run with.

Mike, 12 minute pace sounds rough, nice work!
2023-05-15 6:24 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I had a really great training weekend. It was confidence boosting, as I'd felt a bit unprepared for the tri, and now the Ragnar.

I swam Saturday morning with the masters team. We finished with a long freestyle set (300, 250, 200, 100, 100, 200, 250, 300). I am not a distance swimmer, but it seems I've found my groove! I was pretty steady around 1:47 pace throughout and felt really good. I think I was most anxious for the swim of the tri, so now I'm feeling much better.
Followed this up with a football game, and then some bowling for a friend's bday.

Did a 7.3 mile trail run yesterday with some of the people I'm doing the Ragnar with. Felt strong. Could've kept going a bit longer, but needed to get to PA to spend the day with my mom.

This morning I did a 60 minute peloton PZ ride. This is the longest I've done in awhile. Felt great and PR'd.

Now I just have to keep my momentum and consistency!
2023-05-15 6:24 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I had a really great training weekend. It was confidence boosting, as I'd felt a bit unprepared for the tri, and now the Ragnar.

I swam Saturday morning with the masters team. We finished with a long freestyle set (300, 250, 200, 100, 100, 200, 250, 300). I am not a distance swimmer, but it seems I've found my groove! I was pretty steady around 1:47 pace throughout and felt really good. I think I was most anxious for the swim of the tri, so now I'm feeling much better.
Followed this up with a football game, and then some bowling for a friend's bday.

Did a 7.3 mile trail run yesterday with some of the people I'm doing the Ragnar with. Felt strong. Could've kept going a bit longer, but needed to get to PA to spend the day with my mom.

This morning I did a 60 minute peloton PZ ride. This is the longest I've done in awhile. Felt great and PR'd.

Now I just have to keep my momentum and consistency!
2023-05-15 2:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Nice work, Nicole!  Great training weekend.  Quick questions:  what time is Saturday Masters, and where/when is your tri?

Edited by jmhpsu93 2023-05-15 2:51 PM
2023-05-15 2:52 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Good start to the week with a 1250 swim with a few hard 100s, then came home and did a VO2 max interval bike workout.  Both short on purpose.  Mission accomplished though the third 4' @ 105% interval was a little rough.

2023-05-15 3:18 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Nice work, Nicole!  Great training weekend.  Quick questions:  what time is Saturday Masters, and where/when is your tri?

Thanks! And it's 7-9. I think still inside, but will let you know if I hear otherwise.
2023-05-15 11:25 PM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
55’ tempo run this morning, followed by 1:18 interval on the bike at the gym. It is going to be a long week. This recumbant is not fun.
2023-05-16 7:01 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove 55’ tempo run this morning, followed by 1:18 interval on the bike at the gym. It is going to be a long week. This recumbant is not fun.

No recumbent bike is fun.

This morning was a short warm-up on the bike, then a 5K on the treadmill in about 35 minutes so a decent pace.  Then did the push-ups/dumbbells/planks routine with The Wife.  About 90 minutes all-in.

2023-05-16 8:04 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I played volleyball for a couple hours last night (beach doubles).

Did a run this morning and it was ROUGH. I think it was a combination of needing a day off, and not having great nutrition. I think had I had some Tailwind before I would've felt a lot better. Wanted to do about 45 minutes. I struggled through 30 and then walked another 5-10 minutes home.
2023-05-16 8:36 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by nicole14e

I played volleyball for a couple hours last night (beach doubles).

Did a run this morning and it was ROUGH. I think it was a combination of needing a day off, and not having great nutrition. I think had I had some Tailwind before I would've felt a lot better. Wanted to do about 45 minutes. I struggled through 30 and then walked another 5-10 minutes home.

Ooofff...when you're walking home, you know it was rough! Hope it gets better tomorrow!

2023-05-16 5:05 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
60 minute zwift ride Monday evening, with 2x 10 minutes of 30" on 30" off VO2Max.
60 minute Z2 treadmill run Tuesday. Funny technological quirk, These runs have been feeling a little too easy, so I upped the treadmill speed of the main intervals a little (8-8.2km/hr) Yet Mr Garmin recorded the run as 0.1km shorter than the last one. Got to love the gadgets... I suppose this means I need a $5k smart treadmill

Z2 endurance ride on the cards for tonight. Not exciting stuff, but I think I'll move my power up the Z2 range a bit, to keep pushing forwards.
2023-05-16 5:16 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

55’ tempo run this morning, followed by 1:18 interval on the bike at the gym. It is going to be a long week. This recumbant is not fun.

As we all agree being in your proper bike position is important for bike training. Maybe 'your coach' could back off the rides this week, make it a swim/run focus. Rather than suffering through a recumbent that is of questionable benefit to you anyway?
2023-05-16 5:18 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

This morning was a short warm-up on the bike, then a 5K on the treadmill in about 35 minutes so a decent pace.  Then did the push-ups/dumbbells/planks routine with The Wife.  About 90 minutes all-in.

Nice pace for your treadmill run. Your dodgy back recovery is coming along very nicely.
2023-05-16 7:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog .. I suppose this means I need a $5k smart treadmill

I mean...of course!!

Andrew:  "Honey, my watch was incrementally wrong on my distance today by about 0.1 miles and it's throwing off my vibe for my Ironman training that is over 140 miles, so I NEED a new treadmill."

Mrs. Bulfrog:

X

My Garmin watch/footpod combo is actually pretty accurate indoors ('cause it's TWO gadgets and THREE if you count the treadmill) but it's starting to get a little wonky because 1) I'm running slower and mixing with walking, and 2) I haven't run much mileage outdoors to calibrate the footpod with a second "triangulation" with GPS data. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2023-05-16 7:19 PM
2023-05-16 7:21 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Note that I only had to edit the above post FOUR times for typos, screwing up the HTML codes to make the quoting work, and the picture insert twice.  SMH I'm old.

2023-05-17 1:12 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Note that I only had to edit the above post FOUR times for typos, screwing up the HTML codes to make the quoting work, and the picture insert twice.  SMH I'm old.

I agree with Mike...$5K smart treadmill seems to be a must at this point.

Note: when I tried to quote his other post (the version edited 4 times!--admire your dedication to it!), it gave me about three pages of code...so I saved everyone having to look at that ugliness.
2023-05-17 1:14 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by bulfrog

As we all agree being in your proper bike position is important for bike training. Maybe 'your coach' could back off the rides this week, make it a swim/run focus. Rather than suffering through a recumbent that is of questionable benefit to you anyway?

I thought about this, but I have a very all or nothing personality (if you all hadn't noticed!). I'm a bit afraid that if I take a week off the bike, there will be some serious difficulty getting myself to start it up again. It is my least favorite leg and especially with all rides on the trainer, they are mentally tough. I guess what I'm learning with the recumbent is that it can always be worse than the trainer!

2023-05-17 1:19 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1750yd swim, followed by a brief struggle for my life trying to get into my sports bra (seriously, I really thought I was stuck with no escape route!) and then 60' of maybe Z1 (at least, we will call it easy) riding on the recumbent bike at the gym.

Last night I sent my bike off for some upkeep--I've asked for the works, but we'll see what actually gets done. At the bare minimum I need new shifter cables and a new rear tire to have a safe and functional bike for the Somabay festival. I'd like a tuneup, more sealant in the front tire, and the brakes checked/redone, but between the language barrier and the short time for the actual work to be done (less than a week), I don't know what is possible. Currently very happy I paid to have my bike insured before I left, because the pickup was a rando dude in a panel van and there is no claim ticket or receipt. When I asked for one, they said "we remember our customers"...which, in all honesty, is probably true. Egyptians are very customer service oriented and do have systems that work, even if I don't understand them. It is just a bit nerve wracking to send your expensive and quite beloved tri bike off with strangers!
2023-05-17 9:44 AM
in reply to: #5283710

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
New lesson!!

Floor based core work+lasagna for dinner beforehand+acid reflux=bad idea!!

Anyway…to add to this morning, 50’ of strength training tonight. Always an adventure over here!
2023-05-17 12:46 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Andrew, hope the new treadmill request works out Just let her know all the BDASers are on board, I'm sure that will help immensely...

Gretchen, I'm glad you safely made it into your bra. Those things are a like a venus fly trap when there's even the tiniest bit of moisture on you.
Also, fingers crossed you get your baby back! Eeek can't wait to hear how the races go!

2023-05-17 12:47 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
After yesterday I decided to take this morning off. Feeling pretty run down still. Doesn't help that I bought a Nintendo Switch with Animal Crossing last night...now I remember why I avoid games like this. There's always something to do, therefore what's the point in ever stopping! Gonna need to set some parental controls/timers for myself...
2023-05-17 2:32 PM
in reply to: #5285448

User image

, Vermont
Hi all! I’m trying to catch up and the first thing that caught my eye was Getchen’s post about the jog bra… yup!! As Nicole mentioned, any hint of moisture and it becomes it’s own training event.

Anyway, I haven’t done much recently as we’ve had lots going on at home, both good and not so great. My oldest son committed to a university, yay! Deposit went in, we were all on board.. then he got called from a waitlist to a school he wanted much more, so, yay again… suck up the first deposit and start figuring out the other orange university and becoming a Slice… We’re a few weeks behind others so just trying to get his email up and running so he can get school emails about impending deadlines that are within the next couple of weeks… while I’m traveling..
On the other front, my father in law hasn’t been feeling great for a while and no one could figure out why. Then he had a mini stroke, caught in time; but within a week was back in because something still wasn’t right. Without getting into too much detail, he’s been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. My in-laws live about 2 hours from us so my husband is scooting down when he can. My father in law starts chemo today - but not the version they planned due to other things they’ve found. Blah, long story. He’s such a community pillar where he lives and stoic yet humble man. I’m so sad. Anyway, I don’t know what summer is going to look like for us and I’m out of town this week, home for a day and out again next week while everything is going on. Now is truly the time I should be working out every minute I can just to feel alive and be healthy and strong.
Don’t put things off, folks, live life, travel, do what moves you.
2023-05-17 3:53 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Hi all! I’m trying to catch up and the first thing that caught my eye was Getchen’s post about the jog bra… yup!! As Nicole mentioned, any hint of moisture and it becomes it’s own training event.

Anyway, I haven’t done much recently as we’ve had lots going on at home, both good and not so great. My oldest son committed to a university, yay! Deposit went in, we were all on board.. then he got called from a waitlist to a school he wanted much more, so, yay again… suck up the first deposit and start figuring out the other orange university and becoming a Slice… We’re a few weeks behind others so just trying to get his email up and running so he can get school emails about impending deadlines that are within the next couple of weeks… while I’m traveling..
On the other front, my father in law hasn’t been feeling great for a while and no one could figure out why. Then he had a mini stroke, caught in time; but within a week was back in because something still wasn’t right. Without getting into too much detail, he’s been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. My in-laws live about 2 hours from us so my husband is scooting down when he can. My father in law starts chemo today - but not the version they planned due to other things they’ve found. Blah, long story. He’s such a community pillar where he lives and stoic yet humble man. I’m so sad. Anyway, I don’t know what summer is going to look like for us and I’m out of town this week, home for a day and out again next week while everything is going on. Now is truly the time I should be working out every minute I can just to feel alive and be healthy and strong.
Don’t put things off, folks, live life, travel, do what moves you.

Looks like you've got a hard time ahead of you. I'm sorry to hear about your father in law, terrible news. Family first of course, do some exercise to help keep your sanity, and endorphins up, but triathlon, and the BDAS'ers will be here when you're ready.

On the other hand that's great that your son got into one of his dream schools. Its funny how life throws the highs and lows at you simultaneously.
2023-05-17 3:55 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

New lesson!!

Floor based core work+lasagna for dinner beforehand+acid reflux=bad idea!!

Anyway…to add to this morning, 50’ of strength training tonight. Always an adventure over here!

Thank you for taking one for the team and discovering this unexpected training tip.

haha.
New Thread
Other Resources 2023 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program » Beer Drinkers Appreciation Society (BDAS) 2023 Mentor Group - ALWAYS OPEN Rss Feed  

of 123

RELATED POSTS

KloOfyRoLaNd's Coach/Mentor Group for Newbies -- OPEN

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 989 Posts: 8

2023-01-26 2:30 PM kloofyroland