BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ADollar79's Group--closed and in the base building phase! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2008-06-10 11:51 AM
in reply to: #1456124

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Subject: RE: ADollar79's Group--closed and in the base building phase!

ADollar79 - 2008-06-10 3:20 AM heh. You did awesome this weekend!!! What did you think of the distance? Too much? Not enough of a challenge???

Run wise after the swim and bike too much. I also missed out on a month of training but I'm glad I did it! Just tee'd off that I crashed. I start my run focused Oly plan today. But I think it might be my new favourite distance. 

2008-06-14 7:31 PM
in reply to: #1089582

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
if any one hasnt checked my Log's in the last few days... jon and dollar i know, know what im talking about....

Im doing the Kansas 70.3 tomorow... it will be a good learning experience and i am looking forward to competing in the event tomorow

Edited by tri-dg 2008-06-14 7:32 PM
2008-06-17 12:17 PM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

here is my race report for Kansas 70.3

There isnt that much that i would do different.

I had a great time and am glad that i was able to complete it

I got a massage last night but it wasnt that good. so im going to walk to they gym and get a lift in and then foam roler it up and walk back...
2008-06-17 12:21 PM
in reply to: #1471855

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Nice job!! I seriously still can't believe you just signed up for it on the fly like that.  Nice work!
2008-06-17 12:24 PM
in reply to: #1471868

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

Well, against Dollar's best judgment , I have decided to go for a HIM this fall. It's a new race in Florida - flat flat flat. I've been working on a training schedule and I really want to do it right. I'm working on some ideas to try out with nutrition, but would love any advice.

I'm going to pick up the cadence sensor for the Garmin - I have a wireless bike computer, but would like to know cadence.

Edited by atlrunnergirl 2008-06-17 12:24 PM
2008-06-17 2:49 PM
in reply to: #1471878

User image

Extreme Veteran
Incline Village, NV

Sounds like we're all over-extending ourselves just a little this season. 

Great job on the race Drew!

Sarah - we're in the same boat for our HIMs later.  WRT the cadence sensor, take your bike when you buy it.  I bought one off the internet and there isn't enough space between the spokes and the fork for the magnet thingy (technical term, I know) to fit.

2008-06-18 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1471878

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
atlrunnergirl - 2008-06-17 12:24 PM

Well, against Dollar's best judgment , I have decided to go for a HIM this fall. It's a new race in Florida - flat flat flat. I've been working on a training schedule and I really want to do it right. I'm working on some ideas to try out with nutrition, but would love any advice.

I'm going to pick up the cadence sensor for the Garmin - I have a wireless bike computer, but would like to know cadence.

i got this book essential week by wweek training guide by triathlete magazine.... Matt Fitzgerald.. it tells you everythign you should do for the day and it has 10 different levels of training... I really like this bookd and think it has helped me out a bunch!

d
2008-06-18 4:26 PM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
i already know what you all are goign to say about this...

So they changed the Hy-Vee Tri back to a triathlon.... Should i do it?
2008-06-18 4:28 PM
in reply to: #1475310

User image

Extreme Veteran
Incline Village, NV
How's your recovery been?  If you're feeling up to it, I say go for it...you've already spent the money.
2008-06-19 6:57 AM
in reply to: #1475310

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

tri-dg - 2008-06-18 5:26 PM i already know what you all are goign to say about this... So they changed the Hy-Vee Tri back to a triathlon.... Should i do it?

You already know my answer 

You body often needs 10-14 days to bounce back from an HIM.  If you do race, you might find that you have NO power in your legs.  I am just now getting my power back from Triple T and that was nearly a month ago.  Likelihood for injury often accompanies pushing the body when the body is pushing back.  

Like I said about Kansas, this isn't about can you compete or finish the race.  It is about doing the right thing for you body and mind.  

But I already know what you are going to do, lol 

2008-06-19 8:07 AM
in reply to: #1476047

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
ADollar79 - 2008-06-19 6:57 AM

tri-dg - 2008-06-18 5:26 PM i already know what you all are goign to say about this... So they changed the Hy-Vee Tri back to a triathlon.... Should i do it?

You already know my answer 

You body often needs 10-14 days to bounce back from an HIM.  If you do race, you might find that you have NO power in your legs.  I am just now getting my power back from Triple T and that was nearly a month ago.  Likelihood for injury often accompanies pushing the body when the body is pushing back.  

Like I said about Kansas, this isn't about can you compete or finish the race.  It is about doing the right thing for you body and mind.  

But I already know what you are going to do, lol 

Just a little about the course, Drew - so you know. 

The swim is a swim in a lake.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  This lake was flooded last week, so I don't know what the bottom of it is going to feel like.  I was also told that the good money is that it will be wetsuit legal  - though we have been getting good sun since Friday and it supposed to last through the weekend.  Maybe it warms up enough.

The bike is fairly flat and fast.  Coming out of the water you will go flat for the first mile, climb about 30 feet in 0.10 mile and then head north and ride fairly flat until you get to mile 2.  Just after mile 2 you will have a climb of about 140 feet in half of a mile (about a 6% grade).  Then it is fast and flat city (I posted a detailed maap after I rode it last week in the Hy-Vee board).  There is another climb on the west end of the course - but it is never more than a 2% grade. 

The run starts going downhill for about the first mile and then is flat.  The west turnaround brings you to a hill that is a 6% grade over 3/10ths of a mile.  Then back down and up a slight up hill.  You turn around (you are at about 3.8 miles) and come down the hills you just went up, back to the flat portion and then (remember that long downhill for the first mile?) you head back up that to the finish.  The first 2/3 is about a 3.5% grade - that last 2/3rd is a little over 6%. 

So that is it.  The bike is flatter than the original course and the run is much hillier.  The swim is, obviously, uphill in all directions. 

Decide wisely for your body.  You don't want to end the season this early due to an injury that you could have avoided.

2008-06-19 8:38 AM
in reply to: #1476157

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

Yah, I'm currently trying to figure out the following -

- A few nutrition options to practice

- I need extra bottles on my bike, I'm thinking about either bottles behind the seat or a bottle in the front

- I want to put some bars on my road bike. I borrowed some jammers from a friend, but they won't fit around my handlebars. I think my handlebars are too big.  So I need to figure out what kind to buy. 

- I am thinking about the Garmin cadence sensor and mount. I've got the expensive part already, the Garmin, so it seems pretty reasonable. 

2008-06-19 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1476220

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
atlrunnergirl - 2008-06-19 9:38 AM

Yah, I'm currently trying to figure out the following -

- A few nutrition options to practice

- I need extra bottles on my bike, I'm thinking about either bottles behind the seat or a bottle in the front

- I want to put some bars on my road bike. I borrowed some jammers from a friend, but they won't fit around my handlebars. I think my handlebars are too big.  So I need to figure out what kind to buy. 

- I am thinking about the Garmin cadence sensor and mount. I've got the expensive part already, the Garmin, so it seems pretty reasonable. 

1.  Gels/gu/etc.  Try solid foods--powerbar, clif, luna, etc.  Sports drinks--gatorade, accelerade, powerade.  High calorie drinks--gu2o, heed, infinit.  Toy around and you will figure out what your body likes and what it doesn't. 

2.   Why do you need extra bottles?  Do you already have 2?  You should never have a race where that will be a hindrance.  Most races oly-IM, will have bottle exchanges.  I am a firm believer in keeping it simple.  You don't need an extra 5 pounds of water on the bike.  For training, train where there are gas stations or water fountains (SCT)

3.  I have an extra set of Forte's that I picked up at Performance.  If you want to see if they work, let me know. 

4.  Hold off on this purchase just yet.  I just picked one up and trained with it yesterday.  I will give you a review in a few days when I have it all figured out.  

2008-06-19 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
so my legs are prety sore today... i got a deep tissue on hams, gluts, and calfs, and then went out and played softball lastnight... so today im thinking im not goign tobe going up to Desmoines to compete... i would like to voulenteer if i could find a ride that is going that way. but well just have to see
2008-06-19 6:01 PM
in reply to: #1476945

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

tri-dg - 2008-06-19 2:00 PM so my legs are prety sore today... i got a deep tissue on hams, gluts, and calfs, and then went out and played softball lastnight... so today im thinking im not goign tobe going up to Desmoines to compete... i would like to voulenteer if i could find a ride that is going that way. but well just have to see

Then I think you know the right answer

For what its worth, when you get a deep tissue, you really should take off about 24 hours.  The key is to hydrate and get protein in your body.  Depending on how deep your massage gets, you may be bruised.  I often take an ice bath immediately afterwards and NEVER workout that night.  

Recovery, next to training, is the MOST important part of success in this sport.   

2008-06-20 10:53 AM
in reply to: #1476498

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
ADollar79 - 2008-06-19 10:27 AM

1. Gels/gu/etc. Try solid foods--powerbar, clif, luna, etc. Sports drinks--gatorade, accelerade, powerade. High calorie drinks--gu2o, heed, infinit. Toy around and you will figure out what your body likes and what it doesn't.

2. Why do you need extra bottles? Do you already have 2? You should never have a race where that will be a hindrance. Most races oly-IM, will have bottle exchanges. I am a firm believer in keeping it simple. You don't need an extra 5 pounds of water on the bike. For training, train where there are gas stations or water fountains (SCT)

3. I have an extra set of Forte's that I picked up at Performance. If you want to see if they work, let me know.

4. Hold off on this purchase just yet. I just picked one up and trained with it yesterday. I will give you a review in a few days when I have it all figured out.

So far, I do not like Nuun.  Now I realize I should have put it IN something else.  Ha.  I do like Accel Gel and Hammer Gel, but have never noticed the energy you are supposed to get from it.  And when you take gels, you're supposed to drink with water, right? That's always what I've done with marathon training.  Hmmph. Need to figure this out.  I ran with Gatorade Endurance today and it was lovely.

I have two bottles on downtube.  But I'm a thirsty girl! I ran out on our 20 miler in Buckhead and there aren't any stopping places around there to fill up.  On SCT, I usually stop and load up on my way out and back. 

Yes - I am open for trying anyone's bars.  I was just going to go buy some Profile Design Carbon Stryke's because my friend picked them up for her bike (same as mine) and likes them.  But if I can save some cash - giddy up.  I need more cycle shorts (hello, Pearl Izumi outlet!) and another sleeveless jersey. 

Look forward to the Garmin review!

2008-06-20 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1478738

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
atlrunnergirl - 2008-06-20 11:53 AM

1. Gels/gu/etc. Try solid foods--powerbar, clif, luna, etc. Sports drinks--gatorade, accelerade, powerade. High calorie drinks--gu2o, heed, infinit. Toy around and you will figure out what your body likes and what it doesn't.

2. Why do you need extra bottles? Do you already have 2? You should never have a race where that will be a hindrance. Most races oly-IM, will have bottle exchanges. I am a firm believer in keeping it simple. You don't need an extra 5 pounds of water on the bike. For training, train where there are gas stations or water fountains (SCT)

3. I have an extra set of Forte's that I picked up at Performance. If you want to see if they work, let me know.

4. Hold off on this purchase just yet. I just picked one up and trained with it yesterday. I will give you a review in a few days when I have it all figured out.

So far, I do not like Nuun. Now I realize I should have put it IN something else. Ha. I do like Accel Gel and Hammer Gel, but have never noticed the energy you are supposed to get from it. And when you take gels, you're supposed to drink with water, right? That's always what I've done with marathon training. Hmmph. Need to figure this out. I ran with Gatorade Endurance today and it was lovely.

I have two bottles on downtube. But I'm a thirsty girl! I ran out on our 20 miler in Buckhead and there aren't any stopping places around there to fill up. On SCT, I usually stop and load up on my way out and back.

Yes - I am open for trying anyone's bars. I was just going to go buy some Profile Design Carbon Stryke's because my friend picked them up for her bike (same as mine) and likes them. But if I can save some cash - giddy up. I need more cycle shorts (hello, Pearl Izumi outlet!) and another sleeveless jersey.

1.  Nuun is really just electrolytes.  I don't think it has any calories.  You just drop in your water bottle.  Personally, I have had great results from nuun.  I have used it training and racing and it gave me a major pickup.  But I think I suffer from electrolyte problems.  I have never found a kick from a gel.  But I have never understood them to really provide that kind of help (unless it has a bit of caffiene).  In all likelihood, if you are feeling run down then you are behind on your nutrition.  The gel should just allow you maintain your level of energy.  But a gel takes about 15-20 minutes to enter the system.  And yes, you should chase it with water.  

2.  You ARE a thirsty girl, lol.  Try to monitor your water intake during the day too so that you don't start the ride dehydrated.  And depending on the temp, 2 bottles in 90 minutes sounds about right.  When I ride the sct, I stop at the 20 mile fountain regardless of how much I have in the bottles.  Best to top off at every opportunity.  

3.  The ones I have are cheap but I used them for a whole season and loved them.  Plus, an aero bottle fits perfectly between them!!!!  I am sure we can find some time in the next few weeks to see if they fit your bike.   

2008-06-20 11:19 AM
in reply to: #1478738

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
atlrunnergirl - 2008-06-20 10:53 AM

So far, I do not like Nuun.  Now I realize I should have put it IN something else.  Ha.  I do like Accel Gel and Hammer Gel, but have never noticed the energy you are supposed to get from it.  And when you take gels, you're supposed to drink with water, right? That's always what I've done with marathon training.  Hmmph. Need to figure this out.  I ran with Gatorade Endurance today and it was lovely.

I have two bottles on downtube.  But I'm a thirsty girl! I ran out on our 20 miler in Buckhead and there aren't any stopping places around there to fill up.  On SCT, I usually stop and load up on my way out and back. 

Yes - I am open for trying anyone's bars.  I was just going to go buy some Profile Design Carbon Stryke's because my friend picked them up for her bike (same as mine) and likes them.  But if I can save some cash - giddy up.  I need more cycle shorts (hello, Pearl Izumi outlet!) and another sleeveless jersey. 

I don't like Nuun either.  It makes me burp (I suppose because of the effervescence).  Not great tasting either, IMO.  I have tried both Hammer and Gu, and I prefer Gu.  Hammer tastes too sweet, if that makes sense.  I have tried Accelerade and it gives me some GI issues (don't tell Trixie I said that, she gets mad when I say bad things about her sponsors) so I am going to try the Power Bar line (Endurance and Recovery).  I just got them last night, so we will see how that goes.

I have found I can eat granola and trail mix type bars on the ride with good results and I can eat fruit if I eat it early enough, but within 20 minutes of the run, I have to stop all solid food intake or I will be putting on a projectile display that will have spectators in awe. 

Keep trying things out, Sarah.  You'll find what works for you. 

2008-06-20 9:54 PM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
Yes - I am open for trying anyone's bars. I was just going to go buy some Profile Design Carbon Stryke's because my friend picked them up for her bike (same as mine) and likes them. But if I can save some cash - giddy up. I need more cycle shorts (hello, Pearl Izumi outlet!) and another sleeveless jersey.

I have these.... http://sportswrap.berecruited.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/aero.g...

i got them from a buddie of mine for $100 used... he used them for a season as did I... is that what your looking for...

I dont use them any more if you are lookign for those pm me and we can see if we can work somehting out
2008-06-30 11:49 AM
in reply to: #1479702

User image

Extreme Veteran
Incline Village, NV

So, I bought some aerobars, put them on my bike and went for a ride yesterday.   I was all over the place!  I felt like I was swerving all over the place...which isn't necessarily a good thing with buses and trucks flying by.  Did anyone else have a learning curve with aerobars?  Any tips?

2008-06-30 4:54 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
It takes some practice.  Your steering is totally off and is VERY sensitive to small movements.  Just keep it conservative in the beginning until you get the hang of things. 

2008-07-01 11:44 AM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

I fell off my bike   WOOHOO!  No not really. Nothing broken thankfully.

Am I the only one here that has a fear of hills? Both going down and up? I'm such a scaredy cat!  

2008-07-01 2:51 PM
in reply to: #1501826

User image

Extreme Veteran
Incline Village, NV
Lynne, I'm glad you're okay!  I don't really have a fear of hills, I just hate going up them.  I, however, do love coming down.  I used to ride a motorcycle and it reminds me of the rides I used to do...until I have to start pedaling again.
2008-07-03 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
have a great 4th every one dont blow up and make sure you get some training it... its super easy to slak if your goign out of town. or to the lake like me with 8 of your friends.
2008-07-09 11:08 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Aero bars:

I want some but obviously don't want to fork out tons.  I've come across pairs on ebay that seem to sell well and seeing a I've never  used them before, nor do I know if I'd like em that I would go inexpensive.  I would get them fitted for me (At REI) so that they are super comfy, or as comfy as they can be.   There are SO many choices though! Urgh. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ADollar79's Group--closed and in the base building phase! Rss Feed  

of 31