BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2009-10-05 6:09 PM
in reply to: #2444053

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: kalalau's Group - FULL for now

abbiesue - 2009-10-05 6:49 PM
i was cursing u for telling me to drink at every aid station! once i hit mile 1 clock and saw the time i did hear u yelling...and i did slow down...I heard about the pinching of the cup...but they were plastic and cracked! dumb if u ask me! and...yes i did get hot by the end...i brought a different top and forgot to change...just like i brought aleeve for my foot and forgot to take it before the race! LOL thats what nerves will do to me! (i have some pics on facebook)

...and i knew my foot was going to b an issue since it hurt to walk barefoot in my house...but i had to do the race anyway! i will try resting it from running for a week and see how it feels!

Ah.  So how many aid stations were there?

Plastic cups are kind of a bad idea, and races are generally staying away from such things because it's not very "green."  Once when I did the Ocean City Marathon, we had plastic cups, and 40mph winds.  One aid station was right against the beach dunes at Assateague Island, and they were being blown all over that pristine island.  That was pretty sad.  The plastic cups blow pretty far.  With the regular paper cups you can crunch them to prevent them from blowing away.

"They" say not to take NSAIDS (Aleve) while racing, it can screw up your kidney function and the ability to take in electrolytes.  They scared me off and I try Tylonel now, but I'm still not sure I should even take that because it can upset the stomach.

If you want to find alternatives to running, you could do the elliptical machine for a while as long as you can keep up the heart rate.  And of course keep up the swimming and biking.

I was pretty darn hot in Virginia Beach on Sunday morning.  I was thinking about you while I was out there running at the same time.

Edited by kalalau 2009-10-05 6:09 PM

2009-10-05 6:26 PM
in reply to: #2444084

User image

Randolph, NJ
kalalau - 2009-10-05 7:09 AM

Ah.  So how many aid stations were there?

Plastic cups are kind of a bad idea, and races are generally staying away from such things because it's not very "green."  Once when I did the Ocean City Marathon, we had plastic cups, and 40mph winds.  One aid station was right against the beach dunes at Assateague Island, and they were being blown all over that pristine island.  That was pretty sad.  The plastic cups blow pretty far.  With the regular paper cups you can crunch them to prevent them from blowing away.

"They" say not to take NSAIDS (Aleve) while racing, it can screw up your kidney function and the ability to take in electrolytes.  They scared me off and I try Tylonel now, but I'm still not sure I should even take that because it can upset the stomach.

If you want to find alternatives to running, you could do the elliptical machine for a while as long as you can keep up the heart rate.  And of course keep up the swimming and biking.

I was pretty darn hot in Virginia Beach on Sunday morning.  I was thinking about you while I was out there running at the same time.

it really wasnt hot at the race - it was maybe 60 when we started and overcast and terribly foggy...getting there was quite hairy! i did get warm towards the end of the run  - but not horrible. i would rather be warm not cold. i think the aid stations were every 2 miles. and all were water but mile 11 they had gaterade...not usually a fan but it tasted great that day! and at the end they had chicken soup...whats up with that...i remembering u posting something about that once.

i plan to do a lot of biking this week and i should get back into swimming...i dont even remember the last time i swam!!!! not a huge fan of elliptical but i will need something to get my endorphin fix! i dont think i have taken a week off running in the last 3 years...it wont b easy...that being said...do u think it would be possible for me to do another half on the 18th? maybe u should come pace me!
2009-10-05 6:37 PM
in reply to: #1876643

User image

Randolph, NJ
ok...the results r posted...finally....i was overall - 231/670...for females i was - 70/307 and my age group i was 15/57....i only needed to run 8:13 miles to get into the top 10 in my age group...i should have been able to do that!

1st place in my age group - was 1:23:56! and she was also the 1st female finisher! (yea but she is an entire year younger then me - hehehe)

Edited by abbiesue 2009-10-05 6:43 PM
2009-10-05 9:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I don't want to be too critical of this great race (1:54 is good, after all), but I agree that it's too hot to wear long sleeves.  It looks like a thick long sleeves at that. :-)  The temp is listed at 65 degrees on the results page.  I wouldn't consider long sleeves until you get down into the mid 40s.  I'm one to say "better to be warm than cold" as well but as a wussy "I'm cold" person, I can honestly tell you even 50 degrees is sort of warm for a long sleeve.  It's a classic newbie mistake; it's ok.  You can look at the folks in a race and tell who the people who are going to suffer and be back of the pack, because they are overdressed.  Look at what the fast people are wearing.

My favorite marathon article of all time has good guidelines on clothes:

How To Survive A Marathon

Excerpt:

We suggest that if the race day temperature is above 55 degrees, run in shorts and a singlet. If you opt for a short-sleeve shirt, make sure the shirt is made of "Cool Max" type of material.

...snip...

If the weather during the race is going to be between 45 and 55 degrees, run in shorts and a short-sleeve Cool Max shirt. If the weather is windy and/or raining, move to a long-sleeved Cool Max shirt. (Remember--no cotton as the first layer!) You should also consider wearing throw-away cotton gloves--these can be purchased at the pre-race expo for about $2 a pair.

If the weather during the race is going to be below 45 degrees and overcast, windy and/or raining, consider running in lightweight tights, a long-sleeve Cool Max shirt, with a short-sleeve, throw-away cotton shirt as an additional layer. If you are inclined to wear a jacket, we suggest the "paper" Tyvek jackets because they can be easily wrapped around your waist if you become too hot, or simply "pitched" in a trash receptacle along the route.

If the temperature is going to be in the 30s, you should stay with the lightweight tights and long-sleeve Cool Max shirt, but consider wearing a slightly heavier wind-resistant jacket. (If the forecast calls for dropping temperatures, rainy and/or windy conditions, then keep your trash bag and put it on when the weather turns.)

Edited by kalalau 2009-10-05 9:20 PM
2009-10-05 9:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Imagine how fast Abbie will be when she works all this stuff out. :-)

If your foot is ok, yes another half marathon on the 18th is fine.  Can you put any kind of cold compress or something on it?  Anything that resembles cold?

I thought about coming up for that one, but 3+ hour drive puts me into an overnight stay for sure, and I'm not sure it's smart for me to run a half marathon the week after the Baltimore Marathon.  We'll see how I feel once the marathon is done.  I'm also not sure how the girlfriend would accept me coming up to do a race with some woman off the internet that she (nor I) have met. :-)

Edited by kalalau 2009-10-05 9:43 PM
2009-10-05 9:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Doh, I forgot to mention something about gels.  The only gatorade on course was one aid station late in the race?  I would've had 3 gels in the race in that case.  One before, one at mile 5, one at mile 10.  I've probably had halves where I only took one gel and that is probably ok too.  Going a whole half marathon without a gel and only one gatorade, probably slowed you up a bit.  Could've been the total reason you trailed off, really.

2009-10-06 8:45 AM
in reply to: #2444423

User image

Randolph, NJ
kalalau - 2009-10-05 10:36 AM

Doh, I forgot to mention something about gels.  The only gatorade on course was one aid station late in the race?  I would've had 3 gels in the race in that case.  One before, one at mile 5, one at mile 10.  I've probably had halves where I only took one gel and that is probably ok too.  Going a whole half marathon without a gel and only one gatorade, probably slowed you up a bit.  Could've been the total reason you trailed off, really.

sorry...i forgot about the gels...i had 1 - 15 minutes prior and another about 49 minutes in....not sure i could have stomached a 3rd...

i will attempt to try to ice the foot this week...i must say standing in the cold ocean after the race felt pretty damn good! and advice for blisters?

...and just so i am clear...if i want to be competitive during a half...i need to be cold AND not listen to my ipod??? geeze u make it sound so appealing!
2009-10-06 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2444848

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

abbiesue - 2009-10-06 9:45 AM

sorry...i forgot about the gels...i had 1 - 15 minutes prior and another about 49 minutes in....not sure i could have stomached a 3rd...

i will attempt to try to ice the foot this week...i must say standing in the cold ocean after the race felt pretty damn good! and advice for blisters?

...and just so i am clear...if i want to be competitive during a half...i need to be cold AND not listen to my ipod??? geeze u make it sound so appealing!

Ah, ok that gel plan sounds fine. 

Yes the ocean is so wonderful after running, I love it. :-)

Advice for avoiding blisters or once you have them?  Once you have them, it's hard to run with them so I will pierce them with a sterile needle or something and then put antibiotic gel on it to prevent infection and then put a bandaid on it.  I don't always do that though, it depends on how bad it is and what I want to do with running.  To prevent them, you could get shoes that have more room in the area where you got it, or get some different socks that might work better for you.  Lately I have been wearing Injinji toe socks, they are pretty cool and they seem to work.  But they are expensive and they wear out quicker.

There is one spot where I tend to get a blister on my little toe due to the way I run, and sometimes I will bandaid that spot before a marathon to keep it from sliding under the next toe and creating that blister.  I think we are all going to have different trouble spots because we are different, and just figure out how best to fix that spot without changing our running form.

You won't be cold if you use the guidelines from that article.  You will be cold at the start, and that can be resolved by wearing some throwaway clothes or a plastic bag.  It's amazing how much your body heats up with running.  It's so easy to forget that and overdress, I still do it by mistake sometimes.

The fast runners wear singlets in pretty cold weather.  I haven't gotten to that point yet probably because I look awful in a singlet. :-)

I'm not going to pretend that you will run faster without an ipod. :-)  But if you get competitive I see you more focused on running fast than bringing along gadgets.  That's what I see out there in races.  Plus, most races officially tell you that you can't wear those things, though the rule is not enforced too often.

2009-10-06 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2444964

User image

Randolph, NJ
kalalau - 2009-10-05 10:32 PM

I'm not going to pretend that you will run faster without an ipod. :-)  But if you get competitive I see you more focused on running fast than bringing along gadgets.  That's what I see out there in races.  Plus, most races officially tell you that you can't wear those things, though the rule is not enforced too often.

most people who know me would laugh at that last paragraph...."But if you get competitive..."  - i have been in a few 5ks that did not allow them...especially if it is a busy area...and i know the triathlons said no earphones....but a half marathon? or even a marathon? good god i would make myself nuts!....
2009-10-06 10:58 PM
in reply to: #2446136

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

abbiesue - 2009-10-06 5:36 PM

most people who know me would laugh at that last paragraph...."But if you get competitive..."  - i have been in a few 5ks that did not allow them...especially if it is a busy area...and i know the triathlons said no earphones....but a half marathon? or even a marathon? good god i would make myself nuts!....

Ok lemme clarify then, if your results start to get really competitive, and you get more experienced, you probably won't be wearing earphones. :-)  At the B&A Marathon one year they actually announced after the race that they were writing down bib numbers, and those people would be disqualified from the race, and they were then banned from all Annapolis Strider races in the future.  Now, they may or may not have followed through on that (likely not) but that's the most serious I've seen it get.  I have seen race people scream at runners who finish with headphones on.  It's been a losing battle they are fighting.  At one point it was a UST&F rule but last year they ruled that race directors can make up their own minds.  But since this rule is in place due to insurance policies, it is likely to stay.

If you are as competitive as you say you are, then the boredom in long races will be resolved because you are always eying up the next person to overtake.  "I can catch that guy."

The people with earphones drive me nuts.  They have no knowledge of what is going on around them.  Why not just go home and run by yourself. :-)  Sorry but that's what I think when I see them.  They frequently cut you off around turns because they don't know you are there.  With that in mind, I will make sure they know I am there because I won't move as they try to cut me off.  Go ahead and get surprised, I know what's going on around me and am not surprised. ;-)

Race directors don't like it because they can't hear instructions from race people, or cops, or cars that may hit them.

I actually did see a guy wear earphones in the Osprey Sprint last weekend.  Imagine that, taking the time to put on earphones in a sprint tri, where every second counts, and for a 5k. :-)  Though, I heard rumors that someone (maybe same guy) had them on the bike as well, which is actually illegal.

2009-10-07 6:04 AM
in reply to: #2446748

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
kalalau - 2009-10-06 11:58 PM

abbiesue - 2009-10-06 5:36 PM

Ok lemme clarify then, if your results start to get really competitive, and you get more experienced, you probably won't be wearing earphones. :-)  At the B&A Marathon one year they actually announced after the race that they were writing down bib numbers, and those people would be disqualified from the race, and they were then banned from all Annapolis Strider races in the future.  Now, they may or may not have followed through on that (likely not) but that's the most serious I've seen it get.  I have seen race people scream at runners who finish with headphones on.  It's been a losing battle they are fighting.  At one point it was a UST&F rule but last year they ruled that race directors can make up their own minds.  But since this rule is in place due to insurance policies, it is likely to stay.

If you are as competitive as you say you are, then the boredom in long races will be resolved because you are always eying up the next person to overtake.  "I can catch that guy."

The people with earphones drive me nuts.  They have no knowledge of what is going on around them.  Why not just go home and run by yourself. :-)  Sorry but that's what I think when I see them.  They frequently cut you off around turns because they don't know you are there.  With that in mind, I will make sure they know I am there because I won't move as they try to cut me off.  Go ahead and get surprised, I know what's going on around me and am not surprised. ;-)

Race directors don't like it because they can't hear instructions from race people, or cops, or cars that may hit them.

I actually did see a guy wear earphones in the Osprey Sprint last weekend.  Imagine that, taking the time to put on earphones in a sprint tri, where every second counts, and for a 5k. :-)  Though, I heard rumors that someone (maybe same guy) had them on the bike as well, which is actually illegal.

ETA:  this is becky.  I didn't realize I was logged in as J, and I'm too lazy to copy, log out, log in, and paste.

Not to just jump on the bandwagon, but I agree 100% with Dave.  I most often train with my iPod, but have NEVER raced with it.  Not only is it an awareness issue (and it is an issue), but in a race there is so much to take in, I've never needed them.  I can also pay attention to my own race better feeling my heartrate, hearing my breathing, focusing on my arm and feet position.  I'm all for disqualification when it was a UST&F rule.  People with iPods tend to be a hazard, and I'm not kind when they get in my way.

Other pet peeves since you didn't ask:  people who can't figure out how to seed themselves correctly.  I'm not fast, but I know how to seed myself.  If you are going to take a walk break at 0.2 miles, don't start with the 8 min milers.  Next, people who walk like 5 abreast and there's no room to pass.  Lastly, people who come to a dead stop in front of the water table.  I am not saying I am not one to walk through a water station or two, but I respect my race and others' enough to get in, grab, and go.  If you go to grab and totally miss the hand-off or just knock it out of the volunteer's hand all over your own, so be it.  Try for the next one.  OK.  I'll step down from my soapbox now.  :-)

Edited by jcnipper 2009-10-07 6:05 AM

2009-10-07 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Its funny because I always train with headphones but never race with them. even during the Ragnar last weekend I had a 6 mile leg that started at 4:00am and I didn't have headphones. Though in retrospect they might have helped me through that run.

Judging from the Abbie's pics there didn't seem to be a huge crowd at the race so there probably weren't too many people to pick off.
2009-10-07 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2447316

User image

Randolph, NJ
i think there were 640 in the race...usually when i train i run with only one ear phone in...but for some reason it didnt even cross my mind during the race...i suppose because i am use to running with a lot of car traffic and this race was closed to traffic...i always felt it help me to calm down my nerves...especially at the beginning of a race...i hate that claustrophobic feeling at the beginning with everyone starting at the same time. this race in particular if i didnt have my music to get lost in when my foot hurt...i am not sure how well i could have finished...i will take all this info into consideration...i had no idea it was such an issue! all this info i am learning from u guys...what would i do without u!
2009-10-07 1:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

We just got a really good email from a local running store guy, about how to dress for the marathon or half this weekend.  The thing that stood out to me was:

"Just remember, with just shorts and singlet you will run twenty degrees hotter than the ambient air temperature. Several years ago, a twenty-two year old died of heat exhaustion at the Chicago marathon. His core body temperature was 107 degrees on a course whose temperature was 41 degrees when he collapsed."

Here is the email...

Dressing for the Marathon / 1/2 Marathon

Late fall marathons in the mid-Atlantic can be subject to a wide range of weather conditions. Ideally, an October weekend will produce a cool day with high temperatures in the low fifties and overcast skies. The spectators will want clear skies and mid-70's, but then again they aren't running the race.

As I write the forecast for Saturday is almost perfect - lows in the 40's, high's in the low 60's, and partly cloudy to sunny.  Almost perfect marathoning weather.  But a front may stall and we could get rain too.  Keep watching the forecast!  The day may be cold, windy, and raining, or it may be even turn out hot and sultry. So how do you prepare?

Before I go much further, let me just say that cotton is a killer regardless of the temperature. Cotton shirts, shorts, and socks retain moisture, they cause chafing and blistering, and they do not cool well or retain body heat.

Rule number one - except for gloves and possibly tube socks (see below) avoid cotton except as listed below.

First - if it is a hot day. (Let's define a hot day coming as being warm enough to stand around in shorts and T-shirt for an hour before the marathon with out getting chilled.) It is the easiest to dress for because you simply wear shorts and singlet, or perhaps a short sleeve T-shirt. Some men may opt to go shirtless, some women may elect to wear a jogbra in lieu of a shirt. If it is warm in the morning, then you simply show up at the starting line in racing attire. This should consist of synthetic fabrics with wicking properties like UnderArmour produces. A host of other technical running fabrics are on the market also, just don't wear cotton!

Second, let's take the probable and hoped for scenario - cool, crisp autumn days. Mid-thirties, maybe even some frost on the windshield in the early morning, but noontime temperature in the fifties or low sixties.

Step One - go to Falls Road Running Store and buy very expensive cold weather gear.
Step Two - throw it all away at the start
Step Three - go buy some more the next week.

Seriously, if the marathon weather looks to be damp and chilly in the morning, and warming to the seventies at mid-day, here are my suggestions:

Wear a base layer of shorts and singlet,/Tee shirt plus gloves to keep your fingers warm. If you plan to be on the course for an extended period, wear a long-sleeve UnderArmour shirt instead.

Wear a couple of cotton Tee shirts over your base layer to keep you warm before the race starts.

Wear a garbage bag over your Tee shirts to the start. Cut a hole for your head in the bottom, and two holes for your arms in the sides, and you are ready. On occasion I have seen women wearing giant garbage bags use them as portable spot-a-pots before a race, finding a convenient grate in a parking lot or tree .

Maybe, if it is really chilly, wear some throw-a-way sweatpants under the garbage bag.

Just before the race starts, throw away the garbage bag. Once the race starts, begin stripping down incrementally to your base layer as you warm up. Some folks will throw everything away just before the start, others will peel off in layers as the race progresses. If the temps are in the high thirties/low forties at the start, I imagine that everyone will be thoroughly warmed up by the time they get to Druid Hill Park.

If you have expensive clothing , either wrap it around your waist or have some spectator friends ready to take it at a designated drop-off point along the course. I just don't think it will be there if you throw it on the sidewalk while crossing North Avenue and come back for it later in the day.

On your hands, wear some gloves. Cheap cotton gloves from the Expo will work on a dry day, but get a good pair of synthetics or wool if it is wet or you have Raynaud's syndrome.

Several early miles of the course will be run with the rising sun in your face, as well various sections of the last five miles that will be run into the noonday sun. You may want to consider wearing a hat with a brim or sunshades if the sun bothers your eyes.

If it turns out to be a very dry and really cold day, and you want to wear a singlet or short sleeve Tee, go to a department store and buy some cheap cotton tube socks. Cut out the ends and slide them over your arms. When you begin to heat up, you can take them off and throw them away.

Just remember, with just shorts and singlet you will run twenty degrees hotter than the ambient air temperature. Several years ago, a twenty-two year old died of heat exhaustion at the Chicago marathon. His core body temperature was 107 degrees on a course whose temperature was 41 degrees when he collapsed.

The moral? Listen to what your body is telling you!

Let's take a very cold, blustery, rainy, day.

Step number one is your base layer. Depending upon how long you expect to be on the course may also determine the type of clothing that you will wear. A runner trying to break three hours can dress in much less clothing than someone who expects to be on the course for five hours. The breakpoint is probably around 3:30, based on your own metabolic rate.

Your base layer for your torso should probably be a long-sleeve UnderArmour shirt. Depending upon how cold it really is, you may consider a second layer on the top. Finally, a water-resistant, breathable jacket may be in order, especially if you think you will be on the course for a very long time.

Your base layer for your lower body may be just shorts. Again, if you will be on the course for an extended period of time, you may decide to wear tights. In that case your base layer may consist of UnderArmour athletic underwear.

The problem with tights is that if you haven't worn them yet this year, well, you may discover some areas that chafe, and you don't want to find that out in the middle of the marathon.

Speaking of chafing, if you are trying out something new, it is advisable to buy BodyGlide and apply liberally to all areas that may be subject to chafing. In particular these include between the thighs, under the armpits, for women underneath the jogbra, and for men over the nipples.

Body Glide and other lubricants such as Body Lube, Body Slick, etc, are generally superior to vaseline in that they last longer and do not damage or discolor your running attire like petroleum jelly products will. However, if it is a cold day and you are running in shorts, you may want to apply a thin layer of vaseline over your quadriceps and on the exposed portion of your face.

On a wet, cold, day, you may consider wool socks instead of CoolMax socks.  And again, you should not be running in anything that you haven't practiced running with before.

On your hands, you should wear gloves made of synthetic materials or wool. On cold, wet, days, cotton gloves will kill your fingers.

And also, a hat with a brim may help keep the rain out of your eyes.

The bottom line is to prepare for the worst, yet hope for the best.

2009-10-07 1:27 PM
in reply to: #2446848

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

jcnipper - 2009-10-07 7:04 AM I can also pay attention to my own race better feeling my heartrate, hearing my breathing, focusing on my arm and feet position. 

I was going to say this as well but I was feeling guilty for already pointing out things. :-)  When I run I am constantly analyzing my situation and what adjustments I need to make.  I find that harder to do if there's a distraction like a player.

Other pet peeves since you didn't ask:  people who can't figure out how to seed themselves correctly.  I'm not fast, but I know how to seed myself.  If you are going to take a walk break at 0.2 miles, don't start with the 8 min milers.  Next, people who walk like 5 abreast and there's no room to pass.  Lastly, people who come to a dead stop in front of the water table.  I am not saying I am not one to walk through a water station or two, but I respect my race and others' enough to get in, grab, and go.  If you go to grab and totally miss the hand-off or just knock it out of the volunteer's hand all over your own, so be it.  Try for the next one.  OK.  I'll step down from my soapbox now.  :-)

Yep those are bad too. :-)  Once at the Honolulu Marathon, I was running with a friend at the start, and some dude was in the middle of the 30,000 crowd, walking the opposite way.  It is very packed, so my friend slammed right into him and neither saw each other.  Their chest banged loudly together, it was pretty amazing.

If I have to stop at an aid station, I try to grab the water, then head up a bit and off to the side.  Late in the race, that takes effort though. :-)  I do see it early in the race which is annoying.

2009-10-07 1:29 PM
in reply to: #2447316

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

SCamp07 - 2009-10-07 10:53 AM Its funny because I always train with headphones but never race with them. even during the Ragnar last weekend I had a 6 mile leg that started at 4:00am and I didn't have headphones. Though in retrospect they might have helped me through that run.

That would be pretty spooky, being on the C&O Canal at 4am!  I don't remember seeing headlamps, but you guys must've had them huh?

2009-10-07 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2447900

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

abbiesue - 2009-10-07 2:15 PM i think there were 640 in the race...usually when i train i run with only one ear phone in...but for some reason it didnt even cross my mind during the race...i suppose because i am use to running with a lot of car traffic and this race was closed to traffic...i always felt it help me to calm down my nerves...especially at the beginning of a race...i hate that claustrophobic feeling at the beginning with everyone starting at the same time. this race in particular if i didnt have my music to get lost in when my foot hurt...i am not sure how well i could have finished...i will take all this info into consideration...i had no idea it was such an issue! all this info i am learning from u guys...what would i do without u!

You'd have learned all this eventually, and a lot of this you will adjust to.  It's just a race scene and not normal activities, so you have to get used to it.

Wait til you do one of the big marathons when you are in a crowd of 20,000-30,000 people. :-)  Now that is stuffy and packed.  The people in the back, don't even get to cross the starting line until over 15 minutes after the start sometimes.  Thankfully, even though everyone walks to the start, somehow everyone finds room to start jogging when they hit that mat.

The big marathons are a hassle, and it's stuffy and annoying, but it's really a sight to see, and cool to be a part of.  Everyone should do one big marathon at some point. :-)

2009-10-07 4:31 PM
in reply to: #2447952

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-10-07 2:32 PM

The big marathons are a hassle, and it's stuffy and annoying, but it's really a sight to see, and cool to be a part of.  Everyone should do one big marathon at some point. :-)

x2 Big races can be scary and annoying (back to my complaints above), but nothing I've ever done compares to the crowd support (and hot marines) along the course at Marine Corps Marathon.  There are always people around you, which can be good and bad.  But when you start to feel down, there's always a random stranger to give you encouragement.  In regards to Dave's comment about starting 15 minutes after the gun goes off, I have been at several marathons where it's been much longer.  In Arizona, Nashville, and San Antonio marathons and associated 1/2 marathons (rock 'n roll series) there are 25,000ish runners put in waves of 1000.  With a couple of minutes between waves, it can be almost an hour before you even get to start!  It's worth it though to get people spread out and the faster people out first (again, assuming people are seeded correctly).  Big races are quite the experience. 
2009-10-07 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2447929

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
kalalau - 2009-10-07 2:27 PM

jcnipper - 2009-10-07 7:04 AM I can also pay attention to my own race better feeling my heartrate, hearing my breathing, focusing on my arm and feet position. 

I was going to say this as well but I was feeling guilty for already pointing out things. :-)  When I run I am constantly analyzing my situation and what adjustments I need to make.  I find that harder to do if there's a distraction like a player.

Yep those are bad too. :-)  Once at the Honolulu Marathon, I was running with a friend at the start, and some dude was in the middle of the 30,000 crowd, walking the opposite way.  It is very packed, so my friend slammed right into him and neither saw each other.  Their chest banged loudly together, it was pretty amazing.

If I have to stop at an aid station, I try to grab the water, then head up a bit and off to the side.  Late in the race, that takes effort though. :-)  I do see it early in the race which is annoying.

The example Becky gave was a real one.  Last year for the Baltimore marathon, I got 0.2 miles in, and the lady in front of me just STOPPED to walk (this is ceded with the 3:30 pace group).  I hit her so hard I spun her like a top, and then I heard someone else behind me hit her.   Seriously, why subject yourself to that?
2009-10-08 12:58 PM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Here's an interesting thread about a Marathon winner being DQd for having an ipod:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=183350&posts=43&start=1

2009-10-08 9:57 PM
in reply to: #2449908

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

SCamp07 - 2009-10-08 1:58 PM Here's an interesting thread about a Marathon winner being DQd for having an ipod:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=183350&posts=43&start=1

That's funny that all happened at the same time we had that conversation. :-)  Cool

What's the plan for this weekend Steve?

Becky, Josh, how ya feeling?  Did you get your pace bracelets and sign up for a pace group?

Edited by kalalau 2009-10-08 10:01 PM

2009-10-08 10:00 PM
in reply to: #2448381

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

ras26 - 2009-10-07 5:31 PM
ever done compares to the crowd support (and hot marines) along the course at Marine Corps Marathon.  

There's hot marines at MCM? I guess so if they are dressed in long sleeves and pants on those hot days. :-)

Actually I never did notice hot marines.  I don't think they are my type. :-)  I'm not sure what would stick out as being hot with those big baggy clothes they wear.

It would've been pretty funny if you were logged in at J when you typed that.

2009-10-09 7:22 AM
in reply to: #2450938

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-10-08 10:57 PM

SCamp07 - 2009-10-08 1:58 PM Here's an interesting thread about a Marathon winner being DQd for having an ipod:

That's funny that all happened at the same time we had that conversation. :-)  Cool

What's the plan for this weekend Steve?

Becky, Josh, how ya feeling?  Did you get your pace bracelets and sign up for a pace group?

After so much time off, I'm just hoping that i remember how to run!  I typically do well after extreme taper (ie, not running for a while) though, so I'm excited.  We are doing packet pickup after work today  (leaving silver spring around 3:15?) and will check out pace bands then.  Not sure if I will "sign up" for a group.  It's like bad luck for me.  If you have that number on and you get behind, it's just more frustrating when people keep asking if you're on pace and you have to tell them "no, I suck."  I may just lurk with a group. 
2009-10-09 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2451201

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

ras26 - 2009-10-09 8:22 AM

After so much time off, I'm just hoping that i remember how to run!  I typically do well after extreme taper (ie, not running for a while) though, so I'm excited.  We are doing packet pickup after work today  (leaving silver spring around 3:15?) and will check out pace bands then.  Not sure if I will "sign up" for a group.  It's like bad luck for me.  If you have that number on and you get behind, it's just more frustrating when people keep asking if you're on pace and you have to tell them "no, I suck."  I may just lurk with a group. 

Sign up for the group, and don't wear the sign on the back then.  Or take it off once you fall back. They are going to force you to sign up in order to get a pace band, it is extortion. :-)

Roger will be hanging out for a while around that time, and I will show up.

Even if you wore the sign, the whole pack trails off at some point anyway.  We won't be finishing with many of the 4:15 folks.

I am hearing that the packet pickup line is pretty long.  When I went it was pretty empty.

Have a good race!!

Edited by kalalau 2009-10-09 12:48 PM
2009-10-09 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2451901

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
kalalau - 2009-10-09 1:46 PM

ras26 - 2009-10-09 8:22 AM

Sign up for the group, and don't wear the sign on the back then.  Or take it off once you fall back. They are going to force you to sign up in order to get a pace band, it is extortion. :-)

Roger will be hanging out for a while around that time, and I will show up.

Even if you wore the sign, the whole pack trails off at some point anyway.  We won't be finishing with many of the 4:15 folks.

I am hearing that the packet pickup line is pretty long.  When I went it was pretty empty.

Have a good race!!

When I went last night the line was kind of long so I snuck in the tent fro another direction and got right in.

I'm shooting to be under 2 hours. I would love to be under 1:55 but with being sick last week I'm not going to push it.

Where are the 1/2 pace groups.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  

of 38