BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-04-01 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2759500

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-03-31 5:44 AM x2 from Warren...knowing someone is going to be looking at my logs gives me the motivation to get it done and knowing that everyone has already worked so hard makes it rewarding!

I feel the same - if I don't get in my planned workout, I feel I let myself down as well as the group. It's crazy how we all feed off of each other! My running has really been impacted by you all - long runs, faster averages, Aaron suggesting more "short" runs - and just overall changing the way I use runs for my workouts and mixing it up. I use to go one pace and one pace only.

So thanks for the motivation!  And this counts as a "group inspire!"

Edited by barelfly 2010-04-01 8:42 AM

2010-04-01 9:25 AM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Just checked my monthly totals...I ran over 116 miles this month! Woot! Considering I ran about 24 miles the entire month of March 2009, I'm pretty psyched. This made me start to think about the first time I ran the bike route I was training on at the start of my first season (about a 7 mile loop)...it was a big moment. Anyone else have a moment that really made you feel like the training was worth it/making a difference, etc?
2010-04-01 11:14 AM

User image

NH
Amazing running month for you Jennifer - not to mention 200+ riding and 18,000+ yds in the pool!  You put in 40+ hours!  I hope I can hit totals like that in my max months.

For me, I'm amazed I can lace up my sneakers and put in a 10+ mile run.  Last October I was gassed after a 5k jog.
2010-04-01 7:38 PM
in reply to: #2762405

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-04-01 9:25 AM  Anyone else have a moment that really made you feel like the training was worth it/making a difference, etc?

Everytime I set a PR.  I've been doing this since I was 16, and it's amazing at 41 I can still get a PR.
2010-04-01 11:43 PM
in reply to: #2748055

User image

Expert
WA
ray6foot7 - 2010-03-24 9:45 PM

Have fun.  And remember to recover with as much intensity as you train.Laughing

Laughed hard when I read this!
Thanks everyone for well wishes!  We had a great vacation, I swam about 400 yards and lifted weights for about 20 minutes and the rest of the time I relaxed. Laughing
2010-04-02 12:37 AM
in reply to: #2751570

User image

Expert
WA
barelfly - 2010-03-26

I wanted to get your opinion on wet suits. There's a great deal via Xterra on a Volt wetsuit for $100. I figure this is a great price for me to get a entry level wetsuit and give the OWS a try prior the oly distance tri in Sept. I can practice it in, see how I feel and make a decision on if it's something I want to do. If not, I figure I can get the most of my money back if I sell on ebay or something.

enjoy the weekend!

We get some cold waters out here so full sleeve is pretty much a no brainer.   You may find out how cold the waters are where you will be doing your OWS and use that to make a decision. 

A friend gave me a wetsuit a few weeks ago and I plan to use that for my races this year.   I will ask others what they think of the fit.  I did try it on and it seems to fit well.

2010-04-02 12:44 AM
in reply to: #2754805

User image

Expert
WA
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-03-28
I don't (currently - could be encouraged to get this if necessary) have a hydration belt so my thought process on running outside is: I could stash a water bottle and some shot blocks/gels/Gu somewhere on the route and take a quick break when I pass them, I could run a loop so I go past the house around halfway through the run and grab water/food or I could suck it up and not stop at all. What is the appropriate distance/time passed that you should focus on? Can I get away with running for 2+ hours with nothing? Most of my runs around 1 hour or less - so I don't think I need to worry for those - it's the long ones that I don't have the experience with. Any guidance would be appreciated!

Get a hydration belt! Wink  I am actually a big fan of them.  I use to run with little or no water up until 2 years ago.  I did a 10 mile run with a friend in some hot weather and got dehydrated, I was puking etc.  Not fun!  Now I generally carry (on my hydration belt) at least 25% more hydration/nutrition than I think I need.  Even for a 30 min run I will carry 4-8oz of water.  For 1 hour run 10-15 oz and for 2 hour run 20 - 25 oz.  If you plan to ever do a marathon or full IM get a hydration belt that will allow you to carry 4 bottles instead of 2. 
2010-04-02 12:46 AM
in reply to: #2753147

User image

Expert
WA
mdfahy - 2010-03-27 4:47 PM Hey guys, I did it!  I felt pretty good about my race overall and want to thank everyone for your support, advice and counsel along the way.  You guys really help me a lot.  Here's my first tri race report.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=201264

WahooOOOOO!!! Commented on your race report!
2010-04-02 6:43 AM

User image

NH
Welcome back, good job on the R&R.
2010-04-02 8:07 PM
in reply to: #2753277

User image

Veteran
Richmond
ray6foot7 - 2010-03-28 9:24 AM Nice job Matt in all three legs.  But that is one heck of an impressive swim.  Are you addicted yet?

I admit I am addicted, hahaha, I can hardly wait for my first Olympic distance in 2 weeks already!  No turning back now, HIM on the horizon.

I also feel very lucky to have this group, I've learned a bunch from you guys in such a short period of time.  Each of you adds great perspective and value to the discussion.  Team inspire!

Also, thank you Warren for reaching out and grabbing me on the mentor board when I just joined BT and needed a group and all were closed! 

Big THANK YOU to Aaron for setting up the group and leading us all and showing us what it takes to be a champion to just go out and be the best we can be at this fun and competitive sport!

Happy weekend and Happy Easter to you all.  It's sunny and warm here in Virginia, couldn't be better conditions to get some training in. 

Welcome back Rene!  Glad to hear you took your recovery seriously! :-)
2010-04-03 12:03 AM
in reply to: #2756895

User image

Expert
WA
ray6foot7 - 2010-03-29 7:50 AM Question about IM training.

So far I have been following the 36 week plan on Trifuel.com.  I am on the 11th week and have liked it so far.  I miss a few workouts here and there, but I think the distances and intensities are just what I need right now.  My worries about the plan are towards the end.  The weekly long runs go 11, 13, 18, 13, 17 miles right before the taper. 

That is a big jump, I would do a 11, 13, 15, 18.  You have other long runs longer than 18 miles in this plan I take it?

2010-04-03 6:54 AM
in reply to: #2765941

User image

Elite

Thank you for the kind words, but really they should be shared with everyone here. If you celebrated anything last week or this weekend I hope you got to or get to spend some time with your family. Long ride in the early morning tomorrow.

2010-04-03 7:07 PM
in reply to: #2766141

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
RunRene - 2010-04-03 12:03 AM

So far I have been following the 36 week plan on Trifuel.com.  I am on the 11th week and have liked it so far.  I miss a few workouts here and there, but I think the distances and intensities are just what I need right now.  My worries about the plan are towards the end.  The weekly long runs go 11, 13, 18, 13, 17 miles right before the taper. 

That is a big jump, I would do a 11, 13, 15, 18.  You have other long runs longer than 18 miles in this plan I take it?

Nope, that is THE long run for the plan.  But to be fair, it is a time based program. I just plugged in 9:00 / mile and came up with 18.  Who knows, I could be running faster than 9:00 / mile zone 2 by then, and it could be 19-20 miles.  BUT the jump is huge intimidating whether it is time based or distance based. <edit> And at 235 pounds I feel I need to be extra careful with a build and take it easy on my knees and ankles.  But maybe just two long runs would be easier on these old joints, who knows.

Edited by ray6foot7 2010-04-03 7:20 PM
2010-04-05 1:03 AM
in reply to: #2766891

User image

Expert
WA
ray6foot7 - 2010-04-03 5:07 AM
RunRene - 2010-04-03 12:03 AM

Nope, that is THE long run for the plan.  But to be fair, it is a time based program. I just plugged in 9:00 / mile and came up with 18.  Who knows, I could be running faster than 9:00 / mile zone 2 by then, and it could be 19-20 miles.  BUT the jump is huge intimidating whether it is time based or distance based. And at 235 pounds I feel I need to be extra careful with a build and take it easy on my knees and ankles.  But maybe just two long runs would be easier on these old joints, who knows.

First thing, 235lbs?!  You're a tank!  I wouldn't be getting in your way! Wink

Two long runs before an IM which entails a 26.2 mile run? I would recommend against that.   I generally try to follow the 10% weekly increase but have broken that rule many times.  I have jumped 2-4 miles at a time in consecutive weeks due to a training time crunch.  Do you think your body can handle a build up of distance like 11, 13, 16, 19, 22 or 23?  I personally would want to get to 22-24 miles on the long run for an IM.  That kind of distance would give me a good feel for what it would be like on race day and also the confidence to finish the 26.2. 

I have heard of time based training (haven't tried it) and have heard good things about it, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
2010-04-05 11:57 AM

User image

NH
Does anyone race with a hydration belt?  I really like the flexibility of drinking when I want and what I want.  The half this weekend has Gatorade and water stops every 2.5 miles.  I'm probably one of the few people who really dislike Gatorade, though I can tolerate it.  I use hammer stuff and really like it, so at a minimum I'll be carrying my hammer bottle (I mix the hammer gel in a 5 oz bottle).

I've been using my belt the last few long runs and actually love having it - I have one which carries 4-8 oz bottles, so plenty for a half marathon.  Runners around here have told me only newbs and geeks wear the belt for a race, but as a newb and a geek I don't mind those labels! 

What do you guys think about wearing the belt for a race?
2010-04-05 2:49 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Warren,
I have the fuel belt that is one bottle that holds about 12 oz.  I use it on long runs and agree it's nice to have.  I considered using it during the half mary, but decided against it at the last minute.  I think our aid stations were about every 2.5 miles.  I found that getting 1 cup of water and 1 gatorade at each aid station was perfect.  But if your stomach doesn't handle gatorade well, then the fuel belt might be a good alternative.  I decided I didn't want to carry that extra pound around with me and feel it jiggling around.

2010-04-05 10:29 PM
in reply to: #2769507

User image

Expert
WA

Check out this video: Why Do YOU Run?

Sometimes I run just to get the miles under my belt, sometimes its because it is a convenient workout, sometimes it is to be able to eat whatever I want, sometimes it is to get an energy boost, sometimes I do it  just because I CAN. It is always great to have that "HIGH" after a great run.

Why do YOU run?
2010-04-05 10:45 PM
in reply to: #2768995

User image

Expert
WA
wbayek - 2010-04-04 9:57 PM Does anyone race with a hydration belt?  I really like the flexibility of drinking when I want and what I want.  The half this weekend has Gatorade and water stops every 2.5 miles.  I'm probably one of the few people who really dislike Gatorade, though I can tolerate it.  I use hammer stuff and really like it, so at a minimum I'll be carrying my hammer bottle (I mix the hammer gel in a 5 oz bottle).

I've been using my belt the last few long runs and actually love having it - I have one which carries 4-8 oz bottles, so plenty for a half marathon.  Runners around here have told me only newbs and geeks wear the belt for a race, but as a newb and a geek I don't mind those labels! 

What do you guys think about wearing the belt for a race?

I am a HUGE fan of fuel belts!  Read my last race report, I considered not using one but did after all and I was glad I did.   If you like it and you have trained with it I say GO FOR IT!!  They always say, "Race with what you train with".  ALL my runs are with a fuel belt whether it is a race or not.  I have 4 x 10oz belt which I usually only need two bottles.  I like to be able to drink when I want to also.  I bought the four bottle belt so when I do a marathon or a race that includes a marathon.

2010-04-06 6:47 AM
in reply to: #2770305

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
RunRene - 2010-04-05 11:29 AM

Check out this video: Why Do YOU Run?

Sometimes I run just to get the miles under my belt, sometimes its because it is a convenient workout, sometimes it is to be able to eat whatever I want, sometimes it is to get an energy boost, sometimes I do it  just because I CAN. It is always great to have that "HIGH" after a great run.

Why do YOU run?

Great video - thanks!

I run to see if I can. I run to be outside. I run to get a moment to myself. I run because I can.
2010-04-06 9:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
I run because I can...and I never thought I would say this, but I actually enjoy it now!

I run because it takes me away from every day stresses - and that is healthy.

I run because it will keep me feeling young, shows my kids that exercise is important and is apart of my life everyday.

2010-04-06 10:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
I run to stay young.  I know old man time is going to catch me some day, but I don't plan on making it easy for the b@$7@>d.  I want to be able to play basketball and softball with the child we are trying to adopt when they are in highschool. I also like it when someone doesn't believe me when I tell them I am 41.

I run because it relieves stress.  My wife thinks I am grumpy when I am not exercising regularly. When my dad was in the hospital on life support my brothers would smoke or drink.  I'd go for a run.

I run because it is part of who I am.  When I was 10 years old, I saw the Ironman on t.v.   That weekend I did a 26 mile bike on my bmx, and an 11 mile run.  I was trying for 13 miles, but I had to quit because of baseball practice.  It's just something I have always done.

2010-04-07 8:05 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
I also run (and bike and swim) primarily to stay young.  As I'm sure I've mentioned before, I have a 12-year-old daughter with cerebral palsy and she is going to require a lot of extra care her entire life.  If I turned into a fat, old fart, there's no way my wife and I would be able to care for her.  So I do a lot of what I do for her. 

But I also do it for me.  In my core group of friends (mostly from college), I was always the "fat guy".  I was never obese, just the biggest out of the group.  And I used to buy into all the jokes and ribbing.  My dad is very overweight and I always thought that was my destiny.  Now, I am by far in the best shape out of all of all my friends. 

Last year, on our annual golf trip, one of the guys that over the years used to give me the harshest ribbing, made some joke about my weight (basically calling me fat boy, or something like that).  It's funny, because he's probably put on 50-70 lbs. since college and now he borders on obese... and HE'S making jokes about ME?!?!  BTW... That golf trip was the weekend following the completion of my first half IM.  Everyone laughed at him and said, "you're calling HIM fat???"

And I also do it because one of my primary goals in life is to be retired for more years than I was in the workforce.  My grandfather did it.  My father is close to doing it.  And based on my financial situtation, I'm going to have to live a LOOOOOOOONG freaking time for that to happen because I'm not going to be able to retire until I'm about 75!!! Laughing
2010-04-07 8:46 AM

User image

NH
Lot's of geezers in this group, and I think I'm the old man (48)!  I've only been running about 7 months, but I'm hooked and I also run to stay young and relieve stress.  I hear that Ray.  When I get home after a nasty day of dealing with these nuts at work, my wife will often tell me to take a run or a ride.

I also love the fact that my wife runs and has for her entire adult life, so now we have something we love to do together.  And no way old man time is getting me without a fight.  I feel better now than when I was 28, and don't plan to be a 70 year old sitting on the porch.  Well, I might spend some time on the porch but it will only be after the brick I just finished!

And like Bill, we have a special needs child so I need to stay young to be able to help out as long as I can.  I salute you Bill for what you're doing.  We have a son with Down syndrome, and he doesn't require anywhere near the effort you are putting forth, but he will likely need our help well into his adulthood.  I have a strange dream that he'll do a tri with me someday.

Oh, and I also run because it's the last event in this crazy sport we do!

2010-04-07 9:19 AM

User image

NH
On another note, I noticed the winter mentor groups "officially" ended.  I may join a spring/summer group, but I plan to stay on this group since we've had a good group and a lot of us have late summer/early fall events and I feel like I want to stay in touch.

Are you guys all planning on keeping this group going?  Aaron?
2010-04-07 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
I was hoping we could keep this group going.  I know other mentor groups have been around for over a year and I don't think there needs to be a definitive "end" to it.  I feel like I've made some good friends here with people that have very similar goals, family values, etc. so I'm sticking around.  Plus, I was in a mentor group last year and it just crumbled after a month or two.  I think a group that is this tight and (especially) supportive is not easy to come by.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76