BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-05-24 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3515217

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!

kenj - 2011-05-24 5:16 AM Good morning folks!

Off to play in the pool first thing this morning, then a 3.5 mile race tonight. 

What's everyone's plan today? 

It's been a little hard to get work outs in the past few days. Between rain and family stuff training has suffered. I did a short 4.5 mile run this morning, everything is still wet and it was ranining during my run. I hope to get in a long run and 2 bike rides before the weekend. This weekend is going to be tough we have a lot going on.

I might try for a swim Sat morning. I cleaned up my wetsuit, gloves, hood and booties. Also I bought a new pair of clear lens googles since I lost my other pair during transition at the last race of the year last year. Once I start swimming I sort of feel like the season starts for me.

2011-05-24 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3516098

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2011-05-24 12:54 PM

It's been a little hard to get work outs in the past few days. Between rain and family stuff training has suffered. I did a short 4.5 mile run this morning, everything is still wet and it was ranining during my run. I hope to get in a long run and 2 bike rides before the weekend. This weekend is going to be tough we have a lot going on.

I might try for a swim Sat morning. I cleaned up my wetsuit, gloves, hood and booties. Also I bought a new pair of clear lens googles since I lost my other pair during transition at the last race of the year last year. Once I start swimming I sort of feel like the season starts for me.

How is swimming with the gloves and boots Adam?  I just received an e-mail from the race director of my upcoming tri the first weekend in June and the forcasted water temps are for low 50's.  The are going to shorten the swim distance and allow gloves and boots if the water temp stays below 60.  Kind of a disappointing way to start the season.
2011-05-24 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3516476

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
kenj - 2011-05-24 3:48 PM
acv - 2011-05-24 12:54 PM

How is swimming with the gloves and boots Adam?  I just received an e-mail from the race director of my upcoming tri the first weekend in June and the forcasted water temps are for low 50's.  The are going to shorten the swim distance and allow gloves and boots if the water temp stays below 60.  Kind of a disappointing way to start the season.

I can't believe how cold the water is here. We just haven't had any really warm days down on the island.

First let me say that I've done a lot of scuba diving so I'm very used to wetsuits, drysuits, gloves, hoods, boots etc......Wink

I'm using booties that I use for scuba diving and they are a little stiff. They seam to catch the water a little and create some drag. All very minor but I notice it.

The gloves are a pain since they float so you have to fight them a little. I tend to only use them for the first couple swims and just deal with cold hands.

The hood stays on for a while. I might invest in a swim specific hood but the one I'm using now is fine. The only thing you have to remember to do is adjust your googles for the added thickness.

Edited by acv 2011-05-24 3:24 PM
2011-05-24 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

For the open water swim portion of my tri this weekend the water temp is supposed to be in the upper 50s. I have a full sleeved wetsuit but does anyone have other tips?  I am prone to sea sickness and I have heard when water temps are that cold you can get dizzy, disoriented and nautious. I have also heard that ear plugs help - anyone tried it?

2011-05-24 3:40 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

QOTD:  Where do you like to position yourself for the swim? 

In the last tri I positioned myself in the second row to the inside in my womens division, but no real reason other than I am a faster swimmer and would like to avoid contact. The one before that was a time trial start. Trying to figure out where I should be for this weekend!

2011-05-24 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3516569

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
robingray_260 - 2011-05-24 4:36 PM

For the open water swim portion of my tri this weekend the water temp is supposed to be in the upper 50s. I have a full sleeved wetsuit but does anyone have other tips?  I am prone to sea sickness and I have heard when water temps are that cold you can get dizzy, disoriented and nautious. I have also heard that ear plugs help - anyone tried it?

Ear plugs ROCK - and are cheap. You should give 'em a try.

Here's a qucik tip for transition that I use:

After your swim while you are running to your bike (you are not walking rightWink) Take your googles off, your ear plugs next and then your cap. Put everything into the cap and pull the whole bundle up the sleeve of your wetsuit. It will all stay in place and be well protected.

2011-05-24 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3516585

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
robingray_260 - 2011-05-24 4:40 PM

In the last tri I positioned myself in the second row to the inside in my womens division, but no real reason other than I am a faster swimmer and would like to avoid contact. The one before that was a time trial start. Trying to figure out where I should be for this weekend!

I made a huge tactical error last year in my first tri of the season. It was a sprint w/ 200 people in my wave. I waited a second or two after the gun went off to let some of the faster swimmers get out in front of me so I would have some clear water. I under estimated my speed and got caught up in the traffic. This year my plan is to hammer it when the gun goes off for this tri and stay to the inside. I want to be out in front this year.

The other tri I'm doing has multiple waves which is much nicer. 

2011-05-24 5:16 PM

User image

Expert
robingray_260 - 2011-05-24 4:36 PM

I agree with Adam, ear plugs are great. My first couple of tris I was so dizzy in T1 that I nearly fell down. Got the tip here on BT to use ear plugs and it totally solved my dizziness. I use the purple Mack's Aqua Blocks because they're nice and soft and the purple makes them easier to find if you drop them. The only OWS  in the 50's I ever did was Escape from Alcatraz and I also used a neoprene cap under the race cap and that worked well.

For the swim start, I position myself right in the middle because I am a poor sighter, and I do best when I follow as many people as possible. Since you are a better swimmer, maybe start at the front.

2011-05-24 9:01 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
robingray_260 - 2011-05-24 2:36 PM

I use ear plugs all the time. I am also prone to sea sickness and it wouldn't take much for me to have something like that do me in. I even use ear plugs in the pool. I highly recommend them!

I don't know how all of you swim in water in the 50s. I tried that once and I couldn't catch my breath no matter how hard I tried.  I hear that neoprene caps help a lot.

2011-05-24 9:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
I've been haven't been in as much as I would like recently but hope to get that changed soon! Sounds like everyone is doing pretty good and racing or getting ready to. I had a question I planned to ask and now can't remember what it was... I'll have to write it down next time!

Robyn is that tri the one in Windsor? Good luck either way, bummer if it is that I don't think I'll be able to make it if its on Saturday.
2011-05-25 4:52 AM
in reply to: #3516585

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2011-05-24 4:40 PM

I try and seed myself in the back half towards the right.  I tend to wander left, plus most tri's are counter clock wise so that keeps my out of the crowd trying to hug the line.  I am not a fast swimmer, but I am pretty consistent and don't drop off much even in longer races so this also makes me feel a little better as I get to pass people on the way in! Embarassed

I will have to let you know about cold weather issues as I have so far managed to avoid doing tri's with extremely cold water. I think upper 60's is about it.  So next week will be my first.  But I am going to try the earplugs and heavier swim cap.

2011-05-25 8:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Ear plugs get two thumbs up.  I was so dizzy after the swims at frist ...I thought it was just over exertion.  Then I read that ear plugs keep cold water from the inner ears which lower the brain temp and cause disorientation.  Used them, no problem since.

I usually position to the right, tarzan for a while waiting for holes to open up to my left and then I move in.   I would rather swim a little farther than fight the silliness. 

Indoor versus outdoor cycling.  I LOVE my trainer.  I have a computrainer now but even before it with a power meter I was able to be precise on workouts indoors like never outside.  Many pro triathletes are doing more than half their riding inside these days for safety and precision.  I usually do indoors during the week to save time, too.  Outside for the weekends - when it's not raining.  I know how to ride in the rain - why put myself through crap when I don't have to.

2011-05-25 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3517137

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

julta - 2011-05-24 9:51 PM I've been haven't been in as much as I would like recently but hope to get that changed soon! Sounds like everyone is doing pretty good and racing or getting ready to. I had a question I planned to ask and now can't remember what it was... I'll have to write it down next time! Robyn is that tri the one in Windsor? Good luck either way, bummer if it is that I don't think I'll be able to make it if its on Saturday.

Yeah - it is the Pelican Fest in Windsor on Saturday.  Sorry you can't make it - next time!!!!

I am off to Walmart to look for ear plugs - hopefully they have a version for swimming as there are no specialty stores here!

Adam - thanks for your advice on taking stuff off on the way to TI - I will have to mentally practice that!

2011-05-25 10:38 AM
in reply to: #3517301

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Since ear plugs came up I wanted to mention that I’ve tried several different styles. YMMV but heres what I found:

I’ve first tried the really cheap foam ones they work but not great.

I also tried the silicone type ones that are balls you mold to your ear. They were pretty cool but hard to get out. I also lost a couple and then dropped a few in the sand. Once they fell into the sand it was pretty much a done deal.

I ended up with the “christmas tree” (similar to what Anthony recommended) style ones. Bright orange so I can find them and easy in and out.

2011-05-25 3:27 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

I found the earplugs Anthony mentioned at Walmart - we shall see if they work for me!

Looks like a unplanned day off for me. Had only planned on doing a yoga class so no biggie. I have been working in the yard most of the day though - so not completely a rest day!

2011-05-25 7:02 PM

User image

Regular
Connecticut

Earplugs... another thing for me to think about!?!  I have never worn them for swimming before.  For a while when I was growing up, we had a swimming pool.  As long as the water was 50 degrees or more, my sister and I were good to swim.  I am impervious to the cold.  And a lake in CT in September... it will be plenty warm...

Signed up for a 10k for Monday morning.  Yesterday, I did 6.2 miles outside.  My legs are sore today.  It was a little rough in the 80% humidity... But it feels good to have ran enough to be sore the next day!!  That hasn't happened to me in a while!

This weekend, hubby is going up to the lake his family has property on to help put docks in the water.  We will all go up... maybe I can get in a OWS.  I will at least float around!! (That counts - right?  As long as I have a beer in one hand???)

2011-05-26 7:45 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
I had never heard that about ear plugs and keeping the cold water out of the ears.  Makes sense though, good advice.  I will have to get some to for next weekend!

Rare outside morning bike ride today! Felt good to not be in on the trainer!
2011-05-26 9:00 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

As a longtime diver and dive instructor in the Great Lakes, and have been ice diving more than a few times, I can't say I've ever experienced any kind of balance issues from cold water, or any water in the ears - nor can I say I've had any students affected. So I would suggest to folks that ear plugs are not a necessity for everyone, but if you are one of the (potentially) few that have issues then it is certainly an option. But if you don't have any issues... they may be an unnecessary accessory.

2011-05-26 11:07 AM
in reply to: #3519686

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
marvintpa - 2011-05-26 10:00 AM

As a longtime diver and dive instructor in the Great Lakes, and have been ice diving more than a few times, I can't say I've ever experienced any kind of balance issues from cold water, or any water in the ears - nor can I say I've had any students affected. So I would suggest to folks that ear plugs are not a necessity for everyone, but if you are one of the (potentially) few that have issues then it is certainly an option. But if you don't have any issues... they may be an unnecessary accessory.

Tom,

Hey a fellow diver cool. I've done hundreds of technical (mixed gas/deco) wreck dives in the local waters around Long Island and I've never experienced any issues while diving or after diving from water in the ear. The waters here aren't as cold as the Great Lakes but I've done plenty of dives in temps that are in the mid 30's. Full drysuit and argon for suit inflation.

BUT...........

I've personally had some issues after swimming. Dizziness is one. It's wasn't even related to cold water. I think the motion of swimming and the head moving back and forth is what does me in. The little bit of water in the ear throws off my sense of balance and makes me feel a little off. Worst case is I'm nauseous. It’s very similar to seasickness which I rarely get. YMMV

Edited by acv 2011-05-26 11:07 AM
2011-05-26 11:59 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

I hear ya about the dizziness after swimming. I found I had a head turning issue, wasn't rotating properly - too much of a head flip at the end and I was REALLY dizzy when I'd hit land again. When I learned to rotate with the body and no more than that it made a world of difference.

Only ever did one dive in New York area... can't even remember the name of the wreck.

With a breather and all the wrecks we have around here... I'll never get to them all.

2011-05-26 3:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
I use earplugs because I get really conjested from the lake water and have issues with water staying in my ear.. Sometimes I have waited and took out of ear after getting on the bike and put them under my tri shorts at the leg band..Hope everyone's training is going good.

2011-05-27 5:58 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Friday before a long weekend!

Chime in with who's racing this weekend or any other plans!

Just a local 5K Sunday for me.

Keri hasn't stopped in here lately, but I am hoping she will give us some details of her experience volunteering at IMTX last weekend!
2011-05-27 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3521275

User image

Regular
Connecticut

kenj - 2011-05-27 6:58 AM

Doing my FIRST 10k race at 9am on Monday!!  Whoo hoo!!

Edited by scraver 2011-05-27 7:53 AM
2011-05-27 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3521404

User image

Regular
Maryland
scraver - 2011-05-27 7:51 AM

Good luck!

2011-05-27 10:50 AM
in reply to: #3521714

User image

Regular
Connecticut
Viyoung - 2011-05-27 10:58 AM
scraver - 2011-05-27 7:51 AM

Good luck!

Thanks!!  I think I'll need it!!!

Edited by scraver 2011-05-27 10:51 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72