BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-06-13 10:09 PM
in reply to: #3547357

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
cbrookhart - 2011-06-13 8:00 PM

I go for a pulmonary function test tomorrow to see if I have exercise induced asthma.  I'm excited to figure out what is going on.  Not so excited that I can't have coffee in the morning.  Coffee is half the reason I get out of bed.  I can't train in the morning either.  Yesterday and today were off days, so I need to do something tomorrow. 

Christy

I had a pulmonary function test and they said I am above average in terms of lung capacity. If you have a mild case and it's truly exercise induced, it might not show up if you're resting. I don't start wheezing unless it's very hot and humid. My doctor basically said since my lung capacity is good, it must be EIA. She gave me the inhaler and luckily I only need to use it very rarely. Good luck! 

Edited by nmladic 2011-06-13 10:10 PM

2011-06-14 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

Well...I feel like today was a waste of a day.  Went for my pulmonary function test.  The tech said my lung function is well above average.  Then she gave me some albutorol (don't think that's spelled right) and I did the tests again.  My lung function was better after the meds.  Not sure exactly what that means.  I guess there is something going on that an inhaler helps.  I have to go back tomorrow to do the second part of the test.  I will inhale methacoline (pretty sure I spelled that wrong too) and see how long it takes for my lungs to freak out.  Doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

I haven't done any training today and I really don't feel like doing anything.  Between no coffee and some questionable eating, I don't feel great.   Hope I can turn things around soon.  It is nice and cool out.  A run would be a good idea.

Christy

2011-06-15 7:32 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Good morning everyone-was out of town yesterday.  Did 5 miles on the treadmill early this morning...now a busy day at work.

Randy
2011-06-15 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3549130

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
cbrookhart - 2011-06-14 3:57 PM

Well...I feel like today was a waste of a day.  Went for my pulmonary function test.  The tech said my lung function is well above average.  Then she gave me some albutorol (don't think that's spelled right) and I did the tests again.  My lung function was better after the meds.  Not sure exactly what that means.  I guess there is something going on that an inhaler helps.  I have to go back tomorrow to do the second part of the test.  I will inhale methacoline (pretty sure I spelled that wrong too) and see how long it takes for my lungs to freak out.  Doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

I haven't done any training today and I really don't feel like doing anything.  Between no coffee and some questionable eating, I don't feel great.   Hope I can turn things around soon.  It is nice and cool out.  A run would be a good idea.

Christy

The Albuterol will help. Take it BEFORE you start your run and keep it with you during the run in case you need it. 

2011-06-15 9:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Morning! Easy run tonight and I'm gonna attempt some core work too. Love recovery weeks! Have decided to bike tonight, swim again Thursday, and do this week's easy run on Friday. Saturday then becomes a rest day instead of Friday, and I'll attempt to do a run and bike on Sunday in Carmel. Phew!

We leave earlyearlyearly Saturday morning for California, and I'm a little anxious about leaving my routine for 9 days so close to race day. I have plotted out all the workouts I SHOULD do, and it's a build block, so I really will need to focus and make dedicated time to train on vacation. This could be difficult since my travel companion for the first leg of the trip is not training for a triathlon and is very excited for epic hikes in Big Sur, kayaking, and lots of beer drinking. The second leg of the trip is a wedding in Napa and I'll be staying in a house with about 20 of my closest hard-partying/no-working-out friends who like to stay up until 4 a.m. I hate to be "the difficult one" with all the training and eating issues; I'm hoping they won't mind when I duck out to run or bike before the big festivities or come strolling in with a giant cooler of vegetables and protein. I seriously need to find some active friends for whom training is normal.

Have a great day everyone!

Edited by nmladic 2011-06-15 9:21 AM
2011-06-15 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3550131

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
nmladic - 2011-06-15 9:09 AM
cbrookhart - 2011-06-14 3:57 PM

Christy

The Albuterol will help. Take it BEFORE you start your run and keep it with you during the run in case you need it. 

She didn't give it to me to take home, she just gave me a couple of puffs for the test.   But I did run a couple hours after I took it and felt great.  Not sure it was teh Albuterol or if it was just a good run.  Either way, I'll take it.

Christy

2011-06-15 11:23 AM
in reply to: #3550151

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
nmladic - 2011-06-15 9:18 AM

Morning! Easy run tonight and I'm gonna attempt some core work too. Love recovery weeks! Have decided to bike tonight, swim again Thursday, and do this week's easy run on Friday. Saturday then becomes a rest day instead of Friday, and I'll attempt to do a run and bike on Sunday in Carmel. Phew!

We leave earlyearlyearly Saturday morning for California, and I'm a little anxious about leaving my routine for 9 days so close to race day. I have plotted out all the workouts I SHOULD do, and it's a build block, so I really will need to focus and make dedicated time to train on vacation. This could be difficult since my travel companion for the first leg of the trip is not training for a triathlon and is very excited for epic hikes in Big Sur, kayaking, and lots of beer drinking. The second leg of the trip is a wedding in Napa and I'll be staying in a house with about 20 of my closest hard-partying/no-working-out friends who like to stay up until 4 a.m. I hate to be "the difficult one" with all the training and eating issues; I'm hoping they won't mind when I duck out to run or bike before the big festivities or come strolling in with a giant cooler of vegetables and protein. I seriously need to find some active friends for whom training is normal.

Have a great day everyone!

Sounds like an awesome trip!  I think you could swap some training days for epic hikes and kayaking.   Both of those are great workouts. 

It's hard when you're with people who do not share your goals.  Maybe you can go to bed a little earlier than everyone else and get your workouts in before everyone wakes up.  

Have fun!

2011-06-15 11:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples

Back in the gym

After 7 months out of gym, I went back Monday and last night I paid for it.  I was lying in bed about 3 in the morning and I could not bend my arms they were screaming in pain!!!!!  After putting some Icy/Hot on them, which stunk my whole room up and I could not sleep.  After about 20 minutes I could bend them.  They still hurt.......  The funny thing is that I was not lifting heavy at all.  I used weights I could lift for 3 sets, 20 reps and only 5 exercises.  Man I am wimpy wimpy wimpy

2011-06-15 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3550508

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
[email protected] - 2011-06-15 11:43 AM

Back in the gym

After 7 months out of gym, I went back Monday and last night I paid for it.  I was lying in bed about 3 in the morning and I could not bend my arms they were screaming in pain!!!!!  After putting some Icy/Hot on them, which stunk my whole room up and I could not sleep.  After about 20 minutes I could bend them.  They still hurt.......  The funny thing is that I was not lifting heavy at all.  I used weights I could lift for 3 sets, 20 reps and only 5 exercises.  Man I am wimpy wimpy wimpy

You're not wimpy.  I'm always CRAZY sore when I start lifting weights after some time off.  And I'm not wimpy!!! Keep it up.  You'll feel better after a couple more times.

Christy

2011-06-15 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Naples

Another funny story

I did my swim workout (about 2700 yards) on Monday.  Of course it was at my new gym and new pool and I just assumed the pool was 25 yards and I started my work out.  But my times were terrible it was taking me forever to swim. silly me the pool was 25 METERS!

So my workout ended up being 300 yards longer than I thought it would be     Oh well, guess its all good.  Lesson learned, always ask how long the pool is before you swim.   

2011-06-15 11:58 AM
in reply to: #3550524

User image

Veteran
Naples
cbrookhart - 2011-06-15 12:48 PM

Back in the gym

You're not wimpy.  I'm always CRAZY sore when I start lifting weights after some time off.  And I'm not wimpy!!! Keep it up.  You'll feel better after a couple more times.

Christy

thanks, I hope so, man i can't believe how sore I was   The funny thing is that I stopped lifting once I started training for the half IM, but the full IM training insists on getting in the gym.  So I am back in the gym.  Workouts are only 30 minutes or so.  I'll keep pumpin

2011-06-15 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3550562

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
[email protected] - 2011-06-15 11:58 AM

Back in the gym

Christy

thanks, I hope so, man i can't believe how sore I was   The funny thing is that I stopped lifting once I started training for the half IM, but the full IM training insists on getting in the gym.  So I am back in the gym.  Workouts are only 30 minutes or so.  I'll keep pumpin

Are you using a BT plan for the full?  I stopped lifting when I started my half training plan too.  I miss it. 

Christy

2011-06-15 12:56 PM
in reply to: #3550573

User image

Veteran
Naples
cbrookhart - 2011-06-15 1:00 PM

Back in the gym

Christy

Are you using a BT plan for the full?  I stopped lifting when I started my half training plan too.  I miss it. 

Christy

I'm using the Ironman Start to Finish 24 weeks to an endurance triathalon.  It is working great, good plan lots of good practical advice (even the weight lifting  you lift only twice a week real light just for strength, 15-20 reps each set.

Start to Finish: 24 Weeks to an Endurance Triathlon 

Edited by [email protected] 2011-06-15 12:57 PM
2011-06-15 2:44 PM
in reply to: #3550707

User image

Master
Baltimore
[email protected] - 2011-06-15 1:56 PM
cbrookhart - 2011-06-15 1:00 PM

Back in the gym

Christy

Christy

I'm using the Ironman Start to Finish 24 weeks to an endurance triathalon.  It is working great, good plan lots of good practical advice (even the weight lifting  you lift only twice a week real light just for strength, 15-20 reps each set.

Start to Finish: 24 Weeks to an Endurance Triathlon 

At one point, I did strength regularly as part of my training, but I have dropped it because I don't think it was useful training for me - YMMV.  That being said, I have a decent book - Strength Training for Triathletes by I don't remember, sitting on my self unused.  If anyone wants it for the cost of shipping (or local pickup) just let me know.  It's probably a better book for someone who actually strength trains .

2011-06-15 8:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Hey all,

Ever had one of those weeks where everything goes against you? Yep, that's me this week.

Start off, trying to fight the post-race hangover (like I experienced last time), as well as a cold of some sort, I take Sunday off and relax. Monday, I am right back into the swing of things with a great strength training session, and a 20 minute high intensity circuit to get the heart rate really moving.

Tuesday: Wake up to go to the pool at my school (University of North Florida, luckily a lot of triathletes train here, so have been learning a lot). Get to the pool at my normal time (7:30) and I notice the pool is set-up for long course. Sweet! I check in at the desk, the attendant informs me that the pool will be long course until 8a, then be 'closed' for about a half an hour to get the short course set-up again. Since I need to leave the pool by 8:50 to get home to shower, eat, and get to work on time this messed up my swim workout. I went to my car thinking I will throw on my running shoes and do a quick run around the campus loop a few times. Then I realized I took my shoes out of the car...they were in my transition bag. Ended up going back home and walking the dog for a decent way, he enjoyed it, and I did also, but not a workout by any means. Oh well, chalk up another rest day.

Wednesday: Went to bike today. Simply put it was hot and humid, no big deal for a native Floridian. But add in the fact that seemingly the whole state of Florida is on fire, and our air quality is Extremely Poor right now (very hazy, and particulate matter that is visible). I opted to bypass the bike today. Tried to go for a swim after class, and every lane was taken. Swim summer camps in the middle of the day...DOH!

Oh well, I really feel as if it will be beneficial to me to truly get some rest. With my work and school schedule currently, I do not get a true off-day. I am either consumed with school, work, or life. Lends to the article I read about true-recovery vs. sleep (as recovery). Both are needed, for physical and mental purposes.

Tomorrow, I am going to knock out a strength session and do an easy pace 30-45 minute run at the gym.

On a side note: once the 1st of July passes I am going to be purchasing a bike trainer, that is all there is to it. I know I will spend more time on a trainer if I have one (I can rationalize watching TV/News/Movies now). Anyone have insight on the LeMonds trainer?

2011-06-16 7:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

Good morning.

I'm not sure why I can't put 2 good weeks of training together.  Seems like for every good one I have, the next one is horrible.  This week is so busy and I'm exhausted.  I can't make myself do anything.  I'm doing the Baltimore 10-miler Saturday. It's one of my favorite races.  I'm excited about it.  But I'm worried that slacking off this week is going to mess up my HIM.  It's 10 days away.  I know that I really can't mess it up this close to race day.  But I just want to be as prepared as I can be.  

So, this morning instead of training, I'm going to get my children's pictures taken for Father's Day.  Then we will spend the day decorating picture frames.   It would take a lot less time for me to go to Home Depot and get a leaf blower Smile

Christy

2011-06-16 8:09 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Nick-the Lemond is fairly new.  I have a friend that bought one and really likes it but says it is loud.  Tom Demerly did a good review on www.trisports.com in the Trisports University section of the site.  There is also a good bit of discussion on the slowtwitch forum about the Lemond.  Most of the threads were earlier this Spring.  Go to the slowtwitch forums and do a search..I remember a couple of long threads.  

Randy
2011-06-16 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Hey all,

My bad luck continues. But now I am just laughing about it.

Wake up this morning, and IT IS STORMING. 50+ mph winds, and raining (which we desperately need, lightning...not so much). I thought, "Strength session, and run on the treadmill will work out PERFECTLY."

Get to the gym, and it is pretty quiet. Sweet, no waiting or worrying about someone getting in my area while doing my slow-paced strength circuit.

I get towards the end of my workout feeling great, about to get on the treadmill. The power goes out. Of course.

Oh well, going to try and go back later tonight and get a short run in, however the weather is supposed to be pretty bad still so I am not sure how this will work out.

@Randy: Thanks, I heard a lot of great things about the trainer, however the noise factor I am a bit worried about. For the same price of the LeMonds I could get a decent Fluid/Mag trainer and a trainer wheel (won't have to worry about wheel wear or anything). Anyone else have input on going a Fluid/Mag way with a trainer wheel, versus the direct drive route (LeMonds). I am going to do a search later on slowtwitch.

2011-06-16 8:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Forgot to add also, what is your take on putting a different bike on a trainer. I have my old(er) road bike that I am not using. It is an 8 speed, and different set-up (completely) than my new tri-bike. I have weird thoughts about training on a different bike, and racing on another...mainly I want to be able to comfortable (as possible), and still have consistent power output. The position on my road bike is much less aggressive than that of the Tri bike.

2011-06-16 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3551990

User image

Master
Baltimore
Savage8778 - 2011-06-16 9:25 AM

Forgot to add also, what is your take on putting a different bike on a trainer. I have my old(er) road bike that I am not using. It is an 8 speed, and different set-up (completely) than my new tri-bike. I have weird thoughts about training on a different bike, and racing on another...mainly I want to be able to comfortable (as possible), and still have consistent power output. The position on my road bike is much less aggressive than that of the Tri bike.

A couple thoughts: I'm not sure the allure of the Lemond trainers...I read about them but don't get the hype. A good fluid (KK or similar) will work great. If you add a trainer wheel with dedicated trainer tire (if you use one), then that's perfect. Dont worry about wear on the wheel, the trainer wont stress it anything like the road does. Re: road bike - I think there are a number of good reasons to use both a road bike and tri bike. I don't think ease of switching on and off the trainer is one. Especially if it's not fit well, I would say just don't use it regardless - you'll lose too much with a poor fitting bike. Just take your tri bike on and off, it will take a min tops, even if you swap skewers. Just my 2 cents.
2011-06-16 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3551990

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Savage8778 - 2011-06-16 8:25 AM

I just wanted to throw in that I bought my Cycle Ops Fluid 2 trainer almost brand new on Craig's List for about $100 less than retail and I love it. I live in an apartment and it is not loud at all, and I don't even have it on a mat, just the carpet. I don't know anything about positioning or bike switching though, sorry.

2011-06-16 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3552059

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

jsiegs - 2011-06-16 8:56 AM

Dont worry about wear on the wheel, the trainer wont stress it anything like the road does.  

My friends who use trainers all tell me that I need to switch out my back tire with a new one once indoor training is over, and they recommend switching tires every time I go from trainer to outside, which for me would be 2 tire changes a week (which seems excessive). I have a spare tire sitting around but haven't started swapping them out yet. Do you think I need to put a new tire on for the "outdoor season" and save the one I have for "indoor season"? I would still be doing 1 trainer ride per week, but long rides outside. 

I have a Bianchi road bike, and don't know what brand of tire I have (I can check later - I think it might be continental) but they cost around $50 and the guy at the bike shop said they should last like 5 years. Looks like I have about 233 trainer miles on this tire; not sure how many in total but more than 400. 

Nicole

Edited by nmladic 2011-06-16 9:33 AM
2011-06-16 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3552142

User image

Master
Baltimore
nmladic - 2011-06-16 10:31 AM

jsiegs - 2011-06-16 8:56 AM

Dont worry about wear on the wheel, the trainer wont stress it anything like the road does.  

My friends who use trainers all tell me that I need to switch out my back tire with a new one once indoor training is over, and they recommend switching tires every time I go from trainer to outside, which for me would be 2 tire changes a week (which seems excessive). I have a spare tire sitting around but haven't started swapping them out yet. Do you think I need to put a new tire on for the "outdoor season" and save the one I have for "indoor season"? I would still be doing 1 trainer ride per week, but long rides outside. 

I have a Bianchi road bike, and don't know what brand of tire I have (I can check later - I think it might be continental) but they cost around $50 and the guy at the bike shop said they should last like 5 years. Looks like I have about 233 trainer miles on this tire; not sure how many in total but more than 400. 

Nicole

. A trainer will wear a tire much quicker than the road. It is not necessary to always swap, but you'll get maybe half te life of the tire. What I do is swap between a specific trainer tire and a road tire depending on where I'm gonna ride. Some people also will use worn out tires on the trainer since you're not worries about the tread there. Some people will also have a cheap second rear wheel that they leave that trainer specific tire on and just swap the rear wheel when switching between road and trainer (that doesn't work for mensince my powermeter is built into the wheel I always use). So I swap the tire. Kindof a pita, but not too bad. Btw, for training tires, I wouldn't spend more than $15-$20 for tires (performance or nashbar online are cheap places).
2011-06-17 5:43 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
We have made it to Friday.  Who is racing this weekend?  Christy-Baltimore 10 miler; Matt HIM.  Anyone else?

Randy
2011-06-17 5:52 AM
in reply to: #3553644

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

slornow - 2011-06-17 5:43 AM We have made it to Friday.  Who is racing this weekend?  Christy-Baltimore 10 miler; Matt HIM.  Anyone else?

Randy

Good luck Matt! I can't wait to hear how your race is.  I'm jealous you'll be in Victoria for the weekend Smile.  Have a great time.

I can't really say I'm "racing" this weekend.  But I will be running.  I got an inhaler from my dr. yesterday.  I'm excited to see how it works tomorrow. 

This will be a crazy busy weekend for me. In case I don't get back online, happy Father's Day to all the dads!

Christy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56