BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2013-01-14 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4576476

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed

Running technique vids.

These are after 10+ miles on the T-mill yesterday.  I didn't feel fatigued and this is representative.

The training-pace vids are shot at 8:30 pace and the race-pace vid is shot at about 6:15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m5biXZ5Yhs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSMxDHvtE_E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b40brETKf0w

2013-01-14 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4577763

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
JeffY - 2013-01-14 2:02 PM

Running technique vids.

These are after 10+ miles on the T-mill yesterday.  I didn't feel fatigued and this is representative.

The training-pace vids are shot at 8:30 pace and the race-pace vid is shot at about 6:15.

Thanks for posting the links. You make it look so effortless to run a 6:15 pace!

2013-01-14 4:32 PM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Had to dig real deep to get the motivation to do my workout today. Usually I can't wait to get to my training, but just wasn't feeling it. Got me thinking about why I train. What are your guys' motivational tricks when you really don't want to go out and train?
2013-01-14 4:34 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
thanks for posting Jeff, the guy next to you needs to watch...lol
2013-01-14 6:52 PM
in reply to: #4578253

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

dmiller5 - 2013-01-14 5:32 PM Had to dig real deep to get the motivation to do my workout today. Usually I can't wait to get to my training, but just wasn't feeling it. Got me thinking about why I train. What are your guys' motivational tricks when you really don't want to go out and train?

Dave I go through that every now and then. I just force myself to do it especially if I have races I am already committed to. It sort of my motivation knowing that if I don't get those workouts in even when I don't want I may not be successful in reaching the goals I set for myself which include those races I am committed to. Those things are important enough to me to get me going.

Nice job though in getting your workout in even though you didn't want to do it. Those are the workouts that make the difference and you look back on them and appreciate them later on when you reach your goals.

2013-01-14 7:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
dmiller5 - 2013-01-14 5:32 PMHad to dig real deep to get the motivation to do my workout today. Usually I can't wait to get to my training, but just wasn't feeling it. Got me thinking about why I train. What are your guys' motivational tricks when you really don't want to go out and train?
Nice work on pushing through to get the work out in, there are definitely times when the work out is the last thing you want to do!

I have 2 things that motivate,

1. A picture of me on the beach weighing 235lbs putting a shadow over my kids, combine that with a history of obesity in my family and I will make it to any workout!

2. If that some how doesn't work, I recall how it felt to DNF in my 1st and only HIM. Not only the DNF which is minor but the point when my oldest came up to me as I am in pile of self-pity and says "Dad, you did good! Next time you will finish the race !"

and finally if all else fails I kid myself into believing that someday I will keep up with Dirk

Edited by mambos 2013-01-14 7:07 PM

2013-01-14 7:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Well even if for one day, I joined the early risers! Woke up at 4:45am and jumped on the trainer for the week 2 day 1 of the Jorge workout! 1st 5 minutes was rough to get the legs moving but after that everything went smooth! One thing I found was that I seemed to be more dehydrated in the morning. In the future I will need to drink something before starting. One other good thing about getting the ride in the morning was that when I got off work I was able to get a 3 mile run in before pool league. That helped burn some extra calories before heading out for beer and wings!

Now to see if I can get up early again tomorrow and get a 8 mile run in. Of course that's if my quads allow it! The last 5 days have been tough on my legs, Thursday and Friday both had hard bike workouts, then the trail run on Saturday and m legs are feeling a little abused. Even with Sunday being a rest day I am still feeling some soreness!
2013-01-14 7:16 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Running technique vids.

Here's what I got out of your video'...................

DUDE!!!  Get a spray tan or something!!

Seriously, You don't appear to "over stride" much at your race pace when compared to your training paces.  That is a key to maintaining a solid performance without the risk of injury......But you already know that.  It was also pretty hard to hear your footsteps, meaning low impact upon contact with the surface you're running on.  This is a good illustration of low impact, silent running.

Now I need to get my own video up.  I wanted to have Lis go out and get some video of me yesterday but the day turned way more busy than planned.  I may have her or one of the girls go out with me tomorrow during my 5 mile run. 

2013-01-14 7:25 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

dmiller5 - 2013-01-14 5:32 PM Had to dig real deep to get the motivation to do my workout today. Usually I can't wait to get to my training, but just wasn't feeling it. Got me thinking about why I train. What are your guys' motivational tricks when you really don't want to go out and train?

I really don't have any particular tricks.  I am like Tony, keep a focus on the upcoming season and find something deep to dig into.  Sometimes it might help to sign up for a short race in the off season.  A 5k or 10k can give you just the right amount of training focus to get your competitive juices flowing and push you through the tough days where motivation is lacking.

Something that I've heard is successful for others is commit to getting ready to do the WO.  Get dressed, get stretched, get the trainer set up and then see how you feel.  If you still feel like you're not wanting to do the work out do commit to only 5 or 10 minutes and tell yourself that you'll quit.  Chances are if you get this far you'll decide to keep going.

2013-01-14 7:30 PM
in reply to: #4578495

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

mambos - 2013-01-14 8:06 PM
dmiller5 - 2013-01-14 5:32 PMHad to dig real deep to get the motivation to do my workout today. Usually I can't wait to get to my training, but just wasn't feeling it. Got me thinking about why I train. What are your guys' motivational tricks when you really don't want to go out and train?
and finally if all else fails I kid myself into believing that someday I will keep up with Dirk

And why am I the one that always gets this line?  Why not Jeff?  Oh wait, that's who I dream to be like someday.  Someday I'll be just fast enough to see his dust trail before it settles.

2013-01-14 7:38 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Finally from me for the night.

For thos of you who were in last group with Brenda  check in on her RR from her last Ultra  She checked in with me today and I remembered she's run the Huff 50k a few weeks ago and I told her she needed to do a RR so I could share in her success.  And go figure!  I could see her smiling-ness all over her race report.

On my job front:  I spoke to a couple of people today who were impacted from the restructuring I had mentioned a few days ago.  One of the guys who is on the exempt crew supervisors crew suggested that he do what I was suggesting.  He (Pete) volunteered to take a step backward in his career to help this man out.  It seems I wasn't the only one who'd had the same thoughts.  Pete suggested the move to our manager and it was initially thought that it might work but I am not sure now if it actually will.  It seems our manager acted as if it wasn't a possibility.  We'll see soon enough I guess but I am also not sure the Exempt supervisor is willing to take that step away from Pete.  Regardless, the Exempt will have a job with the company no matter what.  It will likely be something that he would rather not be doing but he will be employed nonetheless.

2013-01-14 8:28 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Running technique vids.

The big thing that stands out in these videos for me is the amount of leg extension you get on each stride.  Man...that's way more than me and my legs are long as heck.  Off to stretch the hip flexors!

2013-01-14 8:33 PM
in reply to: #4574252

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
DirkP - 2013-01-11 3:31 PM

So, I have had a lot of distraction at work since I returned on Jan 2.  I had forgotten that the new year would bring some restructuring to my employer.  I found out last week that an entire repair facility would be shut down and the employees positions were eliminated entirely.  Some of them were near enough to retirement age that they will end up being bridged by the severance package and they'll be okay.  Others aren't going to be so lucky.

I found out yesterday that an exempt line crew supervisor's job in my area has been eliminated.  this was a stunning blow to my mindset yesterday!!  This man is solid, productive employee who's work has always been good.  All I could think about last night and much of today was his mental state now.  He will likely have a job with the company still but it will most likely be very different and possibly much less pay. 

Honestly, right now, I am spending time thinking about suggesting to my manager that I back down to a lineman again and allow him to take my job as  Line Crew Supervisor.  I don't know how this would work, if at all, or if Lis would support that.  I am still trying to figure out how to approach the concept.  I don't know if I should ask my manager, talk to the LCS about it or say anything to Lis first.  One thing I have to figure out is what kind of direct impact it would have on everyone first.

Needless to say, things are pretty heavy for me right now.  As I was running today I thought much about how to move ahead.  It's scary from either side right now.

Dirk,  I know you have already thought this through, but I don't think it's a good idea to suggest that you take a step back in your career, regardless of how long it may be for.  You are in the position you are in for a reason.  You're good at what you do and the company finds a lot of value in your being there.  In the end, you need to look out for you and the family as well.  You're a good man.

2013-01-14 9:02 PM

User image

Expert
MI
Seriously, it was very recently which I was literally asking myself why I do this. I believe it was the onset of my initial tremendous elbow pain. Or maybe it was the hip thing. Either way, very recent. I have said to myself I don't know if I have a reason. I didn't come into triathlon for the health benefits that it seems that many do. In fact I have even had the thought of wondering if I am physically doing myself more harm than good down the line. I mean, aches and pains now, what is it going to feel like when I get older?!? I feel like I'm just going to stiffen up and it's going to be worse because of all I'm doing to myself now! Then I say to myself well maybe I'm harming myself physically but I guess perhaps this is helping me mentally... Does that make it okay?! But ultimately I think it gives me a goal to work towards. But anyway that's more of a big picture thing. In the short term I really think it's more about wanting to put up a good time/PR to something I've committed to. Apparently that's good enough for me. In fact it slightly scares me that my half marathon is 3 months away because I feel like I am currently at a slight setback and I have no time left!
2013-01-14 11:07 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
I'm really grumpy about having my foot in a boot.   It's been 10 days since I've run.  Grrrrrr......
2013-01-15 4:47 AM
in reply to: #4578784

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

RunningYogini - 2013-01-15 12:07 AM I'm really grumpy about having my foot in a boot.   It's been 10 days since I've run.  Grrrrrr......

I feel your pain!  When I wasn't running a few weeks ago and I was looking out toward Boston it was all I thought about.  I remained patient as I could have, but at times it was almost physically painful.  I felt like I had to be running to get mileage in so I could get ready but I knew if I didn't take some time off that there wasn't any way I would make it if I pressed forward. 

Be patient and enjoy knowing that you don't have a theoretical dream race to train for.

2013-01-15 5:06 AM
in reply to: #4578536

User image

Dirk told me to check in here, so I am. You already know this, but you are all blessed to have DIRK as one of your mentors for he's just so kindhearted and compassionate. Jeff, Jonathan and Warren are awesome guys, too. You 4 have created a wonderful group.

I've actually been following most of your discussions because I learn so much from you all. Welcome to the newbie Asphalt Junkies! What a busy and interactive group you are!

Just sending some encouragement your way today - keep up the GOOD WORK everyone! And as the oldest lifetime Asphalt Junkie I can say this....."Life is short, SMILE while you still have teeth".

2013-01-15 6:20 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Brenda, thanks for checking in.  Please come back more often.  We miss you here!

Tracy, how is your foot progressing?  I know how you feel not running, just be patient.

Samantha, how is your elbow and hip doing?  Better?  I hope!

Dirk, how is your foot doing?  Are you able to get your runs in that you are happy with?

Tony, you've been quiet lately, how is your cold?  Has Luna worn you down...  lol

Matt, awesome leg w/o..did you get up early today to run?  lol  hey give me your phone no and I'll call you at 3:30 when I get up...lol

Jeff, is your shoulder 100%?

David, well I'm so new to this it is still like Christmas to me.  I just love training, not so much the racing since I always come in at the bop.  I just love getting out early and going for long runs, bike rides in the quiet early mornings.  Now I do have a hard time going to the pool    Really if I miss a day of training I feel like I have the flu.  I know we are supposed to have rest days..but I can't.  I'm also doing it for health reasons such as cholesterol etc.  When I started i could not swim 10 yards and i wanted my son who was 12 at the time to see that i wouldn't let not knowing how to do something stop me.  Really I could NOT swim, didn't own a bike and rarely ran.  I am an gym rat and still trying to break those ties but struggling with that.

Well, my son had his 1st day of baseball tryouts yesterday for the 9th grade highschool team.  One more day today and he'll find out tomorrow.

Sorry this post is so long.  I'll start trying to stay away a little and give ya'll a break with all my stupid questions and stuff.

2013-01-15 7:19 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

This is amazing and read some of the responses

2013-01-15 7:38 AM
in reply to: #4578663

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

michgirlsk - 2013-01-14 10:02 PM
Seriously, it was very recently which I was literally asking myself why I do this. I believe it was the onset of my initial tremendous elbow pain. Or maybe it was the hip thing. Either way, very recent. I have said to myself I don't know if I have a reason. I didn't come into triathlon for the health benefits that it seems that many do. In fact I have even had the thought of wondering if I am physically doing myself more harm than good down the line. I mean, aches and pains now, what is it going to feel like when I get older?!? I feel like I'm just going to stiffen up and it's going to be worse because of all I'm doing to myself now! Then I say to myself well maybe I'm harming myself physically but I guess perhaps this is helping me mentally... Does that make it okay?! But ultimately I think it gives me a goal to work towards. But anyway that's more of a big picture thing. In the short term I really think it's more about wanting to put up a good time/PR to something I've committed to. Apparently that's good enough for me. In fact it slightly scares me that my half marathon is 3 months away because I feel like I am currently at a slight setback and I have no time left!

Samantha-

Girl, I feel for you. I think there is something a lot of athletes and gym rats share - we like to to torture ourselves and push our bodies to their limit. Why do we do it? I think only we can answer that to ourselves. There is a hunger inside of us, something that we can't quite put our finger on that keeps us coming back for more.

For me - after I graduated from high school, I moved to a mountain resort and taught snowboarding for 4 years. When I wasn't teaching, I was riding. I remember waiting to ride fresh powder after a storm. I can recall hiking in miserable conditions to get that one ride in. That moment when you are flying down the mountain and you feel like you are flying through powder carving huge turns. It is a high I cannot explain. Well, when I run and during my first tri, I had that same moment and it is what keeps me coming back for more.

I hope your injuries and pains subside and you can have a great season.

2013-01-15 7:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

dmiller5 - 2013-01-14 5:32 PM  What are your guys' motivational tricks when you really don't want to go out and train?

I don't feel that I am quite seasoned enough to answer this. Being in my second season of triathlon, I still look forward to most of my workouts, except the ones where I have to get on a bike trainer/stationary bike for 90 minutes or more. Which is what I had to do this morning. I am still looking for inspiration to get through those.

For other days when I am feeling tired and not wanting to get in a training session I think about my little girls. I know that I will be a more attentive mom and happier person if I get a training session in. Plus, I feel like I have accomplished something so I am able to set aside chores and really bond with my girls. I remind myself of this and that if I don't get a session in, the mommy-monster in me starts to come out.

2013-01-15 7:57 AM

User image

Bronze member

I'm still trying to read and keep up but my time to post has really taken a hit with the new pup. Seems like every time I sit down to type he starts chewing on something he should not have or sniffing around the floor like he needs to go out. He requires a lot of attention right now but I am happy to report he slept all night in his kennel and kept it dry. I did not have to get up to let him out once - this is a big deal and I hope it will be the new normal around here! Now if we could just get him to stop mouthing the kids!

A few requests - think of my Dad today as he goes in to have a procedure to have his defibulator replaced. He was wore the batteries out. He says it is no big deal but anytime you have to be operated on is a big deal to me! Also my sister as she is now on bed rest while they try to keep the baby from coming too early. I don't know about you all but I would be a crazy basket case if I had to be on bed rest.

Gotta help Gracie get dressed for school but have a great day of training everyone!

2013-01-15 8:54 AM
in reply to: #4578844

User image

Expert
MI

bswcpa - 2013-01-15 6:06 AM Dirk told me to check in here, so I am. You already know this, but you are all blessed to have DIRK as one of your mentors for he's just so kindhearted and compassionate. Jeff, Jonathan and Warren are awesome guys, too. You 4 have created a wonderful group. I've actually been following most of your discussions because I learn so much from you all. Welcome to the newbie Asphalt Junkies! What a busy and interactive group you are! Just sending some encouragement your way today - keep up the GOOD WORK everyone! And as the oldest lifetime Asphalt Junkie I can say this....."Life is short, SMILE while you still have teeth".

Brenda, I hope I can speak for everyone when I say, you are always welcome here!

2013-01-15 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4578915

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
KWDreamun - 2013-01-15 8:19 AM

http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html

This is amazing and read some of the responses

good article!
2013-01-15 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4578875

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
KWDreamun - 2013-01-15 7:20 AM

Brenda, thanks for checking in.  Please come back more often.  We miss you here!

Matt, awesome leg w/o..did you get up early today to run?  lol  hey give me your phone no and I'll call you at 3:30 when I get up...lol

Well, my son had his 1st day of baseball tryouts yesterday for the 9th grade highschool team.  One more day today and he'll find out tomorrow.

Sorry this post is so long.  I'll start trying to stay away a little and give ya'll a break with all my stupid questions and stuff.

Brenda, I agree with Karl you need to come back more often!

I actually did manage to get up early for the 2nd day in a row, I had planned for 8 mile run but woke up about 30 minutes late so I settled on 6! I may need the early morning wake-up call if I keep this up!

good luck to your son and his baseball tryouts, I'm sure he will do great!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119