BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 68

2013-07-17 9:07 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed
Mitch- Great job on the run!!!!!
Mike- Will be praying for good report on the x-rays. Thats awesome about your daughters racing!

Did a 6 mile run yesterday pacing around 7:28 per mile. I am needing to hit more run bike bricks.

2013-07-17 9:20 AM
in reply to: jhight

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
So, I'm signing up for any oly race which is happening in September. Its happening on Cape Cod, and hopefully will be a good time. part of the bike is around/in/through the air force base in Mashpee, so I'm going to guess its a flat bike . Race is a fundraiser for veterans groups, and will apparently have a large contingent of military folks racing.

For a guy who can be so hard on himself about these races, I appear to lack any ability to stop signing up for and doing them
2013-07-17 9:28 AM

User image

Mike- Thats awesome Mike just keep them coming!

I just signed up for sprint in August 17
2013-07-17 10:45 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
6 miles at 7:28 is smoking, been a while since I was in that kind of shape.
2013-07-17 11:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Mike, awesome about your daughters second tri! My daughter agreed to do her first with her cousin in October. Makes me so very proud!! Funny about you continuing to press the "REGISTER" button! You go!

Mitch: great job in that last run! Is the rib still sore?

Jay: race coming up right? How ya feeling.

Steve: holy moly on today's run! You're coming back w vengeance! I love your thoughts on my potential HM & HIM times!!!! Whoohoo! I want to make it happen!

I am still in my HIM euphoria. I really am. Lol. I am still sore, but once I start moving I feel much better. We are putting in a pool and both yesterday and day before I helped my husband shovel countless wheelbarrows of sand and fill dirt. Totally loosened me up. I may even go for a short run today!! Like maybe a mile.

As I said I'm still in this bubble of happy and spent last might searching for a half & full marathon by the end of the year- the full may end u in Jan or Feb of 2014.. Steve I may need you for that full!! :D

Edited by EV3110 2013-07-17 11:18 AM
2013-07-17 2:50 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Steve- The run felt really good. I need to figure out a good way to extend miles but not feel like I am letting down on my pace. I know my pace will slow for sure but I still want to increase mileage. Any suggestions?

2013-07-17 6:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by Baowolf

Shoot, if I come close to that pace for 1/2 mile, I think I'm a stud. Great job, Jared. It's also nice to see your face too. What was the old avatar a pix of? To my eyes, it looked like giant nail polish bottles.

Oh my, just got in the pool. My intent was to teach hubby my screwed up version of a breast stroke for him to use as a recovery/siting stroke. Then I tried to freestyle. I'm the oddest triathete you will ever meet. As a kid, we played games about who could swim the fartherest underwater, who could tread water the longest, who could outlast. We swam a lot but it was games. Later I swam as a form of exercise but it was mixing up strokes and doing whatever felt good. I still think, maybe mistakenly, that I could be in the water for hours and be ok - swim some, float some, tread water some, and just in general, stay alive and comfortable and happy. But now in just a few short minutes of focusing on swimming downhill, keeping my legs up, exhale in the water, breathe more frequently, don't dog-shake my head when getting a breathe - well I just about bloody drowned. Hubby said to just keep on doing it the way that I've always done because I can complete the swim portion of the tris that way but I want to do it right. I'm just in general disgust with myself right now. Bah humbug.

I'm just venting.....sort of. Have a great day everyone.
2013-07-17 7:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

I agree. I'm wondering how long its gonna take to get my speed back!
2013-07-17 7:56 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.

Jim -- nice ride for you and Mitch! Good training for you trying to keep up with him on his new spiffy bike. Remember the person in the lesser bike is getting a better workout .

Mitch -- go easy on Jim now.

Ya Mitch, throttle that rocket down when you're out punishing me! It was hard enough for me to keep up with you before but now all I see is his backside!!

2013-07-17 8:24 PM
in reply to: ironjim

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Pam, looks like us sisters diverge on the water survival skills. Treading water strikes fear in my heart. I will never forget my first OLY tri....got to the race and found out it was a "treading water" start initiated by jumping off a dock. Carp....I never practiced treading water AND never jumped off a dock! My friend prayed over me, then I wound up sitting on the dock, and hanging onto it until I couldn't anymore and thankfully we were off fairly quickly. I'm a bit better with it now, but still prefer to get horizontal in the water ASAP. I forget....have you and hubby had any swim coaching? Highly recommend if you have not. I was self taught via you tube and got by, but a series of 5 group swim classes with a local tri coach was an investment I wish I had made much sooner.
2013-07-18 2:29 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
It is just gona take a lot of running to be able to sustain the pace farther. As you get in more mile (some at a slower pace, some faster) you will be able to hold the pace longer. Getting fast is harder than staying fast longer. When I did my mary at a 7:19 mpm pace I had never actually run more than 3 miles back to back at that pace or faster before. I had done lots of 800 repeats x 12 I think is where I maxed out at 6:30 pace though.

So long day, 7x 800 repeats as part of an 8 mile run (in the 90s F), 25 miles on the bike and 3300 yard swim. Tired. Swim was long.

Oh the swim, I hate the swim, swimming downhill has been my focus since I swam in my wetsuit and was made acutely aware that I am dragging my legs. I have been using pull bouy thing to test how I am doing and well ya still room for improvement. You are not alone in the swim like a rock club.

2013-07-18 7:32 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

So long day, 7x 800 repeats as part of an 8 mile run (in the 90s F), 25 miles on the bike and 3300 yard swim. Tired. Swim was long.

Oh the swim, I hate the swim

That IS a full day! Things seem to be shaping up very well for you re: Tahoe! As for swimming, that swim machine of yours must be like swimming on a treadmill, good for mental focus and gets the job done, but ugh!!!

Think I have identified a couple of goals: Trifecta OLY in mid September (beautiful lake, and can turn it into a weekend get-a-way), and Sedona half marathon on 2/1/14 (bucket list thing....love the natural beauty there and can combine with a vacation).
2013-07-18 8:42 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

[.

Shoot, if I come close to that pace for 1/2 mile, I think I'm a stud. Great job, Jared. It's also nice to see your face too. What was the old avatar a pix of? To my eyes, it looked like giant nail polish bottles.

HaHa!!!! That avatar was Cowbells! We are big Mississippi State Bulldog fans! we were sharing with our family that we were having a girl with the little pink Cowbell!
2013-07-18 8:47 AM

User image

Steve- Great workout yesterday! How do you do the 800 repeats can you give me an example? are they marked on your training course, around track , up hill?
2013-07-18 12:49 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Steve -- way to have a kickin' day. Thats fantastic.

Had my x-rays this AM and should hear from the doc later today or tomorrow. Don't expect anything surprising. Will likely start with PT next week. Found a locat place where they have a marathoner PT on staff who deals only with running injuries.

Did my first 'pre-work' outside bike ride of the year today. Normally weekdays are trainer only situations, but was able to squeeze in a 22 or so mile jaunt. Weather today inching toward 100 & humid, so I'll be doing nohting outside tonight. Tomorrow is some swimming, and depending on what the doc says, maybe a bit of running.

Getting more psyched for my daughters tri on Sunday. My parents & my sister will be coming to watch her race as well. Bigger crowd than I've attracted for any race this year! ;^)

MD
2013-07-18 10:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Pam - I feel your pain in the water.
Carol - love the dock story
Love to see kids getting into tri's! Such a healthy start in life.

Jim, I give you tons of credit for riding with Mitch. I train alone so that I don't have to trail anyone. Don't want to hold anyone up (or be held up which is not all that likely) but most say that riding with others is a great way to push yourself and learn.

Such a nice active group

Edited by MuscleMomma 2013-07-18 10:10 PM

2013-07-19 12:46 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
The track would be the easiest place to do 800 repeats. You warm up for 1 mile or 10 minutes whatever at a comfortable pace, then hit 800 hard (take your goal marathon pace for a good place to start. So if my marathon goal is 3:15:00 I need to run the 800s in 3:15 or a 6:30 mpm pace. If your marathon goal is 4:00:00 then you would run it in 4:00 or a 8:00 mpm pace). So warmup 1 mile, 800 yards hard, 400 recovery jog, 800 yard, 400 recovery. So for me this week it was 7x 800 hard. I usually try to pick a flatish route, but nothing is really flat where I live. I use my Garmin for distance and try to hit the same stretch of road. So for me that may be run 1/2 jog out 1/8 mile back 1/8 hit it again, same thing on the other end. Or it could just be part of a regular route. Your pace should be close to 5k pace maybe a touch slower and HR should be right around LT which for me is 175. If you are just starting you might do 2 or 3 x 800 and then just add one each week.

Hill repeats are similar with 1/4 to 1/2 mile up hill of 3% grade or more at that same hard effort but obviously a slower pace, then jog down the hill at a comfortable pace and then repeat.
2013-07-19 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
tough swim session today. 3350 yards and it was all short interval stuff. did it in an hour and my arms are now spaghetti. I couldn't help myself, but the guy next to me in the lane was a bit faster than me, so I'd push it and try to catch him every time we'd start something new . I can't recall being more hungry after a swim than I was today.

Temps over 100 + humidity today. Lots of heat/health warnings. I'll likely not do much when I get home tonight.
2013-07-19 10:19 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Originally posted by Mike_D

Temps over 100 + humidity today. Lots of heat/health warnings.

Mike, I didn't know you moved to Texas! Welcome!

2013-07-19 5:41 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Nice swim Mike. I was putting off my swim but did 3900 yards in considerably longer than an hour. It is also 100 F here, but it is a dry heat at least that is what my grass says.

So who lives closest to IM texas....? I am thinking about that for 2015.. or 16 maybe.
2013-07-20 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I think Carol is your Texas connection.

Put off my bike this AM until tomorrow. It was 90 & stifling humid at 6 AM today, so I just slept in a bit. Will do a run tonight, and bike tomorrow after the head breaks.

For my upcoming HIM, I've joined up with the Ironman Foundation to be part of the Make-A-Wish Foundation race team at Timberman 70.3. Figured if I'm going to suffer, some worthwhile cause should benefit!

Mike

2013-07-20 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Good morning!

Carol - glad to see you have some new goals set. Sounds like a good plan!

Jared - Looking good.
'
Steve - don't know what to say about your training... I think if you recover well you going to have a great IM

Mitzi - good to see you still at it!

Mike - I was sharing with my wife about your daughters Tri and how amazing that would be to have my daughter follow my footsteps.
Please let her know she has a big fan base and we are all cheering for her!

I can't seem to catch a break. Caught some virus the other day and couldn't get out of bed for 2 days! Did a 4.35 mile run this morn. Felt like 20! Gonna try to spin later. and the same tomorrow. Just don't want to push anything this weekend and get re-sick!!!

and everyone - don't feel too sorry for Jim on our rides. He is a gluten for punishment and I guarantee he loves it!!

2013-07-20 1:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Wow, Steve will get to meet Samantha and Carol while he travels to his IM. I think you'll have a cheering section in both places. Come to IMFL and I'll cheer you on.

Went for 10 miles run this morn. Felt good but I noticed at 6.75, while I felt good, I was getting slower and slower Thunk to head, I was out of gas. I have to take a thyroid pill first thing in the morn and I'm not supposed to eat for an hour afterwards. That's fine for 3 to 6 milers but I need to start taking something with me on the longer runs for fuel. Such a stupid mistake. I've made this mistake several times over the past and it seems like I would learn.

I love the things that I encounter with running. Today I was coming down a hill and saw a walker in the distance. Noticed he had lopsided form. As I got closer, I realized he was much older and parts of his left side of his body had been affected by a stroke (hence the form). I said Good Morning to him and asked how he was doing. He said he'd be doing much better in an hour. I laughed and said I understood the feeling. And then he said, "Hey, at least we can do this." Isn't that a great attitude to have for a victim of a partial stroke to be happy that he can get out there for an hour? I love the human resilience (sp?). And I can't tell you how many of these 30-sec conversations with random strangers hav truly stayed with me. You meet the greatest people on the road (or trails).

Gotten go. Hope everyone has a great weekend. Mike, can't wait to hear how your daughter's tri went.

Edited by Pink Socks 2013-07-20 1:27 PM
2013-07-20 1:47 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
As suspected, x-rays were all negative so off to PT I go this week.

In other news, we r all checked in to the hotel for tomorrow's kids tri!
2013-07-20 6:35 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
100 mile bike (including hill o pain )1 mile run brick in 101F temps today. 101,101 nevermind. Went through a lot of water. I doused myself completely 3x and it didn't do much good. My shirt was bone dry 2 miles later (long sleeve shirt). I did loops past a the park (yes we only have the one) because it had a drinking fountain. I found it odd that in the summer the bathrooms are closed all weekend. They have bathrooms at the park and there is a play area for kids and stuff, with the bathrooms locked. These are bare bones bathrooms, metal trough for the men not sure what the women get, cinder block walls, nothing to really do anything to. Oh well.

Oh for fun... kind of, I set my garmin for %grade and elevation so I could see just how much elevation the hill o pain is and so I could check out the elevation randomly along the climb. It turns out the hill is around 1900 feet of elevation gain over 10.75 miles with a typical slope of around 3% with several stretches of 2 miles at 5% and 3 miles at 6-7%. There is one recovery dip for 3/4 of a mile with a downhill of 3% then back to grinding. So with your garmin you can check out hill repeat hills for grade and elevation gain and such.

So tell me what doing a race for the make a wish foundation does for you and for others.

Edited by Baowolf 2013-07-20 6:42 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 68