BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2009-10-09 4:33 PM
in reply to: #1876643

User image

Randolph, NJ
Subject: RE: kalalau's Group - FULL for now
GOOD LUCK to all of you this weekend! I AM SO JEALOUS u r all in the same race! Next year i want to be there too! I am feeling quite anxious today from not being able to run for 5 days! If...i decide to do the half next weekend and dont run till then...i may run a 6 minute first mile! I wanna run   - i have been putting ice on my foot for short periods at a time...but walking on my hardwood floors actually hurts...which i doubt is a good sign.

GOOD LUCK!!!

2009-10-09 6:13 PM
in reply to: #2452302

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
abbiesue - 2009-10-09 5:33 PM GOOD LUCK to all of you this weekend! I AM SO JEALOUS u r all in the same race! Next year i want to be there too! I am feeling quite anxious today from not being able to run for 5 days! If...i decide to do the half next weekend and dont run till then...i may run a 6 minute first mile! I wanna run   - i have been putting ice on my foot for short periods at a time...but walking on my hardwood floors actually hurts...which i doubt is a good sign.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Thanks Abbie. I didn't realize your foot was still bothering you that bad. I know how it feels not to run. I had to go a whole week when I was sick.
2009-10-13 2:32 PM

User image

Randolph, NJ
Hey all...has everyone recovered from their races this weekend? Awesome job by everyone!

I decided against doing the half this coming weekend... ... i am still having issues with my foot...so much so i actually went to the doctor today! turns out he said i have Morton's Neuroma...he said it is a very common over use injury in runners. To start i am going to try anti-inflammatory medication for 10 days. Hopefully it will help!  Then i will be ready to sign up for another half and reprieve myself.
2009-10-13 5:34 PM
in reply to: #2457548

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

abbiesue - 2009-10-13 3:32 PM Hey all...has everyone recovered from their races this weekend? Awesome job by everyone!

I decided against doing the half this coming weekend... ... i am still having issues with my foot...so much so i actually went to the doctor today! turns out he said i have Morton's Neuroma...he said it is a very common over use injury in runners. To start i am going to try anti-inflammatory medication for 10 days. Hopefully it will help!  Then i will be ready to sign up for another half and reprieve myself.

Now that you mention it being overuse and common to runners, I bet it's the same exact thing I had once. :-)

I just did a quick search and they say it can happen from footwear as well, which is one thing we thought.  It can also happen from overpronation, or running a lot on hard surfaces.  If you can run on a trail, or grass, or even asphalt, over concrete, that is better.

I can't remember when and how mine went away but for some reason I think it was occurring at Disney which would mean I had a break after that race before my next marathon.

2009-10-17 11:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

How is everyone doing this week?  I guess many of us are in recovery from last week's races. :-)   I had a good week of running, might have gained back some of the speed and energy that I lost for a few weeks.

Steve, are you doing the Dec 19 Celtic Solstice run that you sent me?  That's a pretty good race, and hard to find ones at that time of year.  And you really do see the premiums everywhere.  It's great that Falls Road offers races on the cheap $15 without a premium, I have too many of those things anyway.  That's a pretty good race, and the spiced wine afterward is awesome.  It's going to be crazy crowded though.

The Ironman Kona lottery is open right now.  $40 for general entry and another $50 for 'The Passport Club" which gets you nothing but entry entries into the lottery.  I got in for $40.  I don't like gambling in lotteries but I figure this is my only chance to get to Kona and it's for charity so why not.

Roger and I are headed to the JFK course tomorrow if you want to join us.  We are no longer doing our crazy bike ride in the rain idea for the shuttle.  2 road mile, 13.5 trail miles.  Includes one of my favorite spots in Maryland, the Weverton overlook.

2009-10-17 6:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Here's another interesting story about pacing on your normal weekly runs and races:

Your Magic Mile

2009-10-18 12:23 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Hi Dave, I put you on my friends list is that ok with you?  You know a lot about training!  Thanks again for being part of an awesome pace group at Baltimore!!
2009-10-18 6:33 PM
in reply to: #2465466

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Terps421 - 2009-10-18 1:23 PM Hi Dave, I put you on my friends list is that ok with you?  You know a lot about training!  Thanks again for being part of an awesome pace group at Baltimore!!

LOL hey we got a new person in the mentor group? :-)  Wow it's been a while.

Yes that is cool add me to your friends list.  I read a lot about training, probably too much. :-)

Speaking of which, I wonder if I should do another mentor group in January when they do it again, this one was fun.  But I'm not sure I can devote that kind of time right now, who knows!

2009-10-18 10:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

If you haven't seen this yet, one of the BT coaches here (Jorge) is doing a cycling clinic online for us for free, to increase our cycling speed.  I'd like to do it, but it sounds painful and time consuming.  But we all want to get faster, right?

Improve your cycling power over the winter

The plan is 12-14 weeks, based on power (using a power tap that we all don't have yet :-)), but he's planning on having some option available for us normal folks with maybe a heart rate monitor, or just using RPE (rate of perceived effort, aka LOE level of effort).

I need to get a power tap one day.

2009-10-20 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2465818

User image

Randolph, NJ
kalalau - 2009-10-18 7:33 AM

Terps421 - 2009-10-18 1:23 PM Hi Dave, I put you on my friends list is that ok with you?  You know a lot about training!  Thanks again for being part of an awesome pace group at Baltimore!!

LOL hey we got a new person in the mentor group? :-)  Wow it's been a while.

Yes that is cool add me to your friends list.  I read a lot about training, probably too much. :-)

Speaking of which, I wonder if I should do another mentor group in January when they do it again, this one was fun.  But I'm not sure I can devote that kind of time right now, who knows!

Hey! You can't leave us! We need you to be our mentor! I'm not done with all my newbie questions yet!
2009-10-20 6:24 PM
in reply to: #2469194

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

abbiesue - 2009-10-20 2:12 PM
Hey! You can't leave us! We need you to be our mentor! I'm not done with all my newbie questions yet!

I'm not going anywhere, I was just wondering if I should do the mentor group that they will start up in January.  I think I can handle the steady stream of questions coming into this thread these days pretty easily. ;-)

So what's the next goal for everyone?  What carrot do we all have out there to get us motivated and out the door?

2009-10-23 7:51 AM
in reply to: #2469886

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-10-20 7:24 PM

abbiesue - 2009-10-20 2:12 PM

I'm not going anywhere, I was just wondering if I should do the mentor group that they will start up in January.  I think I can handle the steady stream of questions coming into this thread these days pretty easily. ;-)

So what's the next goal for everyone?  What carrot do we all have out there to get us motivated and out the door?

Sorry.  I temporarily stopped all physical activity, so I don't have many questions left.  :-)  I am going to start back soon.  I just needed a little break, mentally and physically.  That and we're trying to shift to an earlier schedule at work and I've been really tired during the adjustment period.

For next year we're signed up for Columbia and Eagleman already...bought into the convenience and hype instead of trying something new.  IM is still in the back of my mind.  I was thinking AZ, but then looking at the timing of the training, it would overlap with Eagleman, but still extend until the end of November.  I have two issues with this.  One is that I am worried about burnout from doing intense/regimented training from when E-man training starts in Feb. all the way through the end of November.  10 months is a long time to really be focused.  I'm also not great at riding outside when it's cold/raining, and I am not sure about having my peak training weeks in the beginning of November.  It's so hit or miss with weather. 

So, I've considered Chessie-man:  flat, familiar, close, apparently well supported, but I might need to do some inquiry because I think I could train and make the posted cut-offs, but then it also says something about the ability to run a 10 min/mile.  "TIME LIMITS: All triathletes must be capable of swimming at a 55 min/mile pace, running at a 10 min/mile pace and cycling at a 14 mph pace. Swim cut-off is at 2hr/20min. and will be strictly enforced, the bike cut-off is 10:30 hours from the start of the race (5:30pm), and to be a"ChesapeakeMan", you must finish within 17 hours.." 
I'm a little confused about that part.  Even if you took 30 minutes in transition, as long as you made the bike cut-off, that leaves 6 hours for the marathon = 13:44 pace.  What am I missing??  Sure I can run a 10 min/mile...in a stand-alone 1/2 marathon.  :-)

Decision time may come soon if IMFL opens up online.  I know races aren't filling up like they have previously (IMKY and IMWI are still open, i think), so come the first week of November we might just go for it... almost everyone says the hype and all for an IM branded race is worth it, at least for the first time.  Another option might be Beach - 2- Battleship.  Opinions??
2009-10-23 12:43 PM
in reply to: #2475235

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

ras26 - 2009-10-23 8:51 AM

Sorry.  I temporarily stopped all physical activity, so I don't have many questions left.  :-)  I am going to start back soon.  I just needed a little break, mentally and physically. 

It's good that you recognize that and aren't pushing through it, that is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed.

For next year we're signed up for Columbia and Eagleman already...bought into the convenience and hype instead of trying something new.  IM is still in the back of my mind.  I was thinking AZ, but then looking at the timing of the training, it would overlap with Eagleman, but still extend until the end of November.  I have two issues with this.  One is that I am worried about burnout from doing intense/regimented training from when E-man training starts in Feb. all the way through the end of November.  10 months is a long time to really be focused. 

In that case I would say to make Eagleman a low priority in the training season.  Just train to be able to do the distance, don't worry about how well you do.  It'll be a HIM to just kick off the season.  Set up another late season HIM as your race-ready training.

I'm also not great at riding outside when it's cold/raining, and I am not sure about having my peak training weeks in the beginning of November.  It's so hit or miss with weather.

Yep that's a tough one.  For IMFL I was injured the last 7 weeks so I was indoors.  For IMAZ I think I took off work on the good weather days of the week.  You can usually find 1 or 2 decent weather days at this time of year.  It's tough taking off work but when you sign up for an IM you are deciding on having it take over your life anyway.

So, I've considered Chessie-man:  flat, familiar, close, apparently well supported, but I might need to do some inquiry because I think I could train and make the posted cut-offs, but then it also says something about the ability to run a 10 min/mile.  "TIME LIMITS: All triathletes must be capable of swimming at a 55 min/mile pace, running at a 10 min/mile pace and cycling at a 14 mph pace. Swim cut-off is at 2hr/20min. and will be strictly enforced, the bike cut-off is 10:30 hours from the start of the race (5:30pm), and to be a"ChesapeakeMan", you must finish within 17 hours.." 
I'm a little confused about that part.  Even if you took 30 minutes in transition, as long as you made the bike cut-off, that leaves 6 hours for the marathon = 13:44 pace.  What am I missing??  Sure I can run a 10 min/mile...in a stand-alone 1/2 marathon.  :-)

I am going to go out on a limb and say that's a typo. :-)  It makes no sense and does not fit in with the paces they are giving for the other two sports.  It's also not the traditional IM thought, and in reality there aren't that many people doing sub 10 in an IM. :-)

Decision time may come soon if IMFL opens up online.  I know races aren't filling up like they have previously (IMKY and IMWI are still open, i think), so come the first week of November we might just go for it... almost everyone says the hype and all for an IM branded race is worth it, at least for the first time.  Another option might be Beach - 2- Battleship.  Opinions??

I am betting IMFL goes online this year, but I would definitely be on that computer when it opens, and keep in mind that the time zone is 1 hour off ours.

Yes, the IM branded race is well worth it, very exciting.  Of course I have never done a non-IM IM.  But even if you did one, that does not take away from your achievement.  Chesapeakeman also has a lot less people out on the course, if it would bother you to be walking in the dark, with no one else around for encouragement.  It's going to happen, because I would even expect it for myself. :-)  It's a pretty discouraging time of the day, and I like having people around.

I am liking what I hear about Beach To Battleship.  Roger and I are thinking that one too.  IMWI is also in the mix for a charity slot.  Also, the Rev3 Triathlon is having a full IM next year, and is at an amusement park.  But at $500 I think I'd rather doing an IM brand.

2009-10-23 8:42 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Where is Beach to Battleship and is it an IM?
2009-10-23 9:12 PM
in reply to: #2476982

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Terps421 - 2009-10-23 9:42 PM Where is Beach to Battleship and is it an IM?

Wilmington, NC.  It has a half and a full.  Last year was its first year, and reports are that it's a great race.  It's due to come up again Nov 7th.

Group, Terps4421 is Linda.  She ended up in my pace group at Baltimore (and finished with us), and we didn't know we were both Bters until we posted our race reports.  Kind of interesting.  Linda reminds me a bit of Abbie with really impressive run training that should get really good race times if we can just fine tune it a bit..

2009-10-23 9:38 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
The beach to battleship sounds like a good possible race, especially if it is flat whereas Saveageman is mountainous.  And thanks for the intro Dave! 

For JFK, are you following a plan?  I know a lot of people try to do one or 2 marathons as "training runs".  It looks like you may be following that type of plan.  How long did it take you to recover from the 17 mile AT run? I am reading a great booke "Born to Run". Some of the ultrarunners have their toes surgically removed to avoid recurring problems.

2009-10-23 10:00 PM
in reply to: #2477053

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Haha, I think you mean toenails surgically removed. :-)  I've read about that.  I haven't read "Born to Run" yet but people have been telling me to read it.

There are at least 3 thoughts on JFK from 3 clubs in the area:

1.  Annapolis Striders - very strict schedule with high mileage running, most critical piece is back to back long runs on most weekends.  2 marathons are in that plan.

2.  NCR Trail Snails - mostly a marathon type schedule, with a 16.5 mile AT run on the JFK course added in, as well as a 35 mile flat run on the course.

3.  Reston Runners (1/3rd of the field belong to this club and their training guides) - "train for a marathon, do a marathon, and you are ready"

I have talked to and heard #3 enough times that I am all over that one.  Plus, at Lake Placid, I learned that I can be completely wiped, lacking nutrition, and reduced to walking with 26 miles left, and still pull off a decent 5:10 marathon.  That gives me confidence that I can do that type of walk/run in JFK fairly decently.  Most people do JFK with a walk/run plan and that's why you can get away with a lower mileage plan than you would think.

I am looking to just experience JFK, I don't really care about my time as long as I make the cutoffs.

My plan is a modification of #3 in that I am doing 3 marathons in my buildup.  The first one was for speed (but was a bad day), the 2nd one was moderate pace, and 3rd is undetermined.

I didn't feel like I needed a recovery from last week's 17 mile trail run.  At the moment I feel a bit tired but my sleep has been erratic as well.  We'll find out tomorrow when I try that run again.

Edited by kalalau 2009-10-23 10:20 PM
2009-10-24 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2477016

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
kalalau - 2009-10-23 10:12 PM

Terps421 - 2009-10-23 9:42 PM Where is Beach to Battleship and is it an IM?

Wilmington, NC.  It has a half and a full.  Last year was its first year, and reports are that it's a great race.  It's due to come up again Nov 7th.

Group, Terps4421 is Linda.  She ended up in my pace group at Baltimore (and finished with us), and we didn't know we were both Bters until we posted our race reports.  Kind of interesting.  Linda reminds me a bit of Abbie with really impressive run training that should get really good race times if we can just fine tune it a bit..

Welcome, Linda!  What you don't know is that Dave is a little crazy, but we love him anyway.  :-)  He's like the energizer bunny.  He just keeps going!  He is a wealth of information and can probably tell you a lot about recovery, but I'm not sure he's ever done it himself.  Welcome to the group and great job on your finish at Baltimore.  I still haven't gotten my race report up. 

ETA:  My name is Becky, ras26.  I often accidentally post as my BF, Josh.  I'm always too lazy to fix it. 

Edited by jcnipper 2009-10-24 9:57 AM
2009-10-24 11:18 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
Hi Becky!  Yes, Dave was a wild and crazy pacer at Baltimore.  Well, the whole group of them were which is what made it so fun...if you can say running 26.2 is fun. I think doing a few marathons and recovering just in time to do an ultra is amazing!
Dave, I have hiked the AT and I think it is incredible people can actually run on it.  I think I would twist or break something.  The people I know who have done JFK say the hardest part is the flat C and O tow path.  They say it is mentally tough to go 26 miles with no change in scenery or terrain, whereas the AT keeps their head in the race.  I will be interested in what you think when you complete it. 

Edited by Terps421 2009-10-24 11:19 AM
2009-10-26 11:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
My Baltimore race report is finally up.  I didn't have my garmin data in front of me and it's hard to remember after 2 weeks (heck, it's hard to remember everything after 5 minutes), but it's a pretty accurate portrayal of my race. 
2009-10-26 11:36 AM

User image

Randolph, NJ
Hi Linda - welcome to the group! Your logs look awesome!

All - I have no races planned yet! I am kinda stir crazy...have not run for a week...and i am missing the last of the nice weather! I am going back to doctor this week...hopefully i will be able to run/bike again next week. I miss training for something...but i do plan on getting back into the pool tomorrow. I am really missing cardio.

2009-10-26 1:35 PM
in reply to: #2477412

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

jcnipper - 2009-10-24 10:56 AM
Welcome, Linda!  What you don't know is that Dave is a little crazy, but we love him anyway.  :-)  He's like the energizer bunny.  He just keeps going!  He is a wealth of information and can probably tell you a lot about recovery, but I'm not sure he's ever done it himself.

Haha, you're not supposed to notice that. ;-)  I do "preach" some things that I struggle with, but that's part of being human.  I really do want to take a break at some point and see if I can get some things healed up.  Those times never occur though!  Right now I am looking for post Disney to be my rest period.  And hopefully by then I will know that I made it into the Bay Swim lottery so I can totally focus on swimming and crush it!

2009-10-26 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2477474

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Terps421 - 2009-10-24 12:18 PM
Dave, I have hiked the AT and I think it is incredible people can actually run on it.  I think I would twist or break something.  The people I know who have done JFK say the hardest part is the flat C and O tow path.  They say it is mentally tough to go 26 miles with no change in scenery or terrain, whereas the AT keeps their head in the race.  I will be interested in what you think when you complete it.

That's funny, because on Sunday I ran with someone who is really fast (she just got back from Kona!) and she blew away from me on the first 2.4 miles with is all uphill paved road.  I was worried that it was going to be a really long day because I am struggling and still behind her.  But once we hit the trail she was no longer able to be the leader and just followed my lead, because the rocks were just too much for her.  That was her first time on the trail.  I am glad that in the end I did not bore her by going too slow.

I've done long runs on the C&O before but never a race.  I'm not sure I will have trouble with it because I spend a lot of thinking time focusing on my breathing, form, etc, plus in this race I will have the walk/run method to be thinking about and keep me busy.  We will see.

2009-11-02 8:38 AM

User image

Randolph, NJ
I spent the entire morning yesterday glued to my TV set watching in awe...the NYC marathon...i am totally inspired to do one! all i need is my foot to heal!

How did yours go yesterday dave? you are my hero! (a madman...but a hero non the less)
2009-11-03 11:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Sorry for the delay, I've had a really bad last 7 days.  I didn't sleep much in the days before the race.  The marathon was really hilly, windy, and rainy.  I banked in almost 2 minutes of time so that the group can take it up the hills slower, but we had two 2nd half pacers who just didn't care about bleeding off the banked time on the hills, so in the end we came in way too far ahead of pace, like 4:12:58.

We had a couple of wind spots where it was at least 40mph.  Pretty nasty.

The knee that I hurt on the JFK course a couple of weeks ago, is hurting pretty badly and is swollen.  I went to the doc last night and there is no break that they see on the xrays.  Maybe my knee is just swollen from those hills and being hit 2 weeks ago.

Our pace group had one runner from beginning to end.  Another guy fell off at mile 24 or so.  The bulk of the pack fell off around mile 19-20 when we hit the last significant hill.  I think we could've held onto them longer if we took it easy on the hills like I planned.

In the end it's another marathon, which means we are healthy enough to do such things, which is a blessing.

Oh and apparently I am supposed to get free shoes, which is really nice, but the store was closed and I am home now.  I am trying to see if I can get my aunt to pick them up.

Edited by kalalau 2009-11-03 11:36 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  

of 38