BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-04-07 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.

Just checking in, I am glad everyone seems to be doing well. I have have felt like I have had zero time to relax lately. Just busy and running around constantly.

2010-04-07 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2773555

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK

I agree with Bill 100%.  I was lurking in some other groups to see if I could gleen more info on IM training.  I was checking out their training logs to see if mine was on track with what others were doing.  In my "research" I didn't see one group with the amount of support ours has.  All of their activity was on the forums.  Even if the group is supposed to end, I still plan on stalking your logs and race reports. 

2010-04-07 10:48 AM

User image

NH
I'm glad people are sticking around - I'll be here for sure.

I was thinking this weekend would be my first ever road race, but my wife reminded me when we were first married (15 years ago) I was driving her to a 10k and decided to enter it since I had shorts and sneakers on.  I remembered the race and how slow the pregnant mother pushing a double carriage was going as she passed me in the last mile!  I was completely spent, and I think my time was recorded in days/hours and not mins/secs.  At least I can be fairly certain this weekend will be better than that!
2010-04-07 10:54 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
I was actually pretty sad to see this mentor season come to an end - not all of us have run our races and I'm very interested to see how it all turns out. I have every intention of staying involved in your training...and appreciate all the inspires and feedback I have received from you...so definitely - let's keep it going!

(this weekend is a big one for our group - with Warren's half marathon and Bob's tri. Best of luck to all! Next weekend looks pretty packed as well)
2010-04-07 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2773933

User image

NH
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-04-07 11:54 AM I was actually pretty sad to see this mentor season come to an end - not all of us have run our races and I'm very interested to see how it all turns out. I have every intention of staying involved in your training...and appreciate all the inspires and feedback I have received from you...so definitely - let's keep it going!

(this weekend is a big one for our group - with Warren's half marathon and Bob's tri. Best of luck to all! Next weekend looks pretty packed as well)

Thanks, and Aaron has a 10k trail run this weekend too.
2010-04-07 12:46 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Aaron, It sounds unanimous.  We'd like to keep this mentor group going at least through the tri season if you're willing to continue as our fearless leader.  Waddaya say?

2010-04-07 6:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
I'm definitely sticking around...this is a great group of individuals and as corny as it sounds I think we make each other stronger and more motivated. It took me a while to find where this moved to but now I know where so you all can't hide from me! I might join another just to find even more people to be motivated by, since it's all about me ;-) but I'll still be around.
2010-04-07 8:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
I'm in as well! I wasn't sure how this would work, so I did go to another group (newbz group) because he has a wealth of knowledge I've learned from on the main threads. But, I'll be here as well. This is my home group!

keep at it this week for those of you racing this weekend!  inspires shall come soon!
2010-04-07 9:30 PM
in reply to: #2774312

User image

Elite

billsorg - 2010-04-07 1:46 PM Aaron, It sounds unanimous.  We'd like to keep this mentor group going at least through the tri season if you're willing to continue as our fearless leader.  Waddaya say?

I will do my best to continue and stay active. Honestly I did not know we got moved to the archives.

2010-04-08 7:20 AM
in reply to: #2775800

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
aarondavidson - 2010-04-07 10:30 PM

billsorg - 2010-04-07 1:46 PM Aaron, It sounds unanimous.  We'd like to keep this mentor group going at least through the tri season if you're willing to continue as our fearless leader.  Waddaya say?

I will do my best to continue and stay active. Honestly I did not know we got moved to the archives.

I wasn't aware of this being moved to archives either... I just have this thread as one of my "favorites", so I never have to go looking for it.  Regardless, It looks like it's going to be a year of PR's for all of us!  Best of luck to our 3 teammates that are racing this weekend!
2010-04-08 11:09 AM

User image

NH
I'm fighting a head cold, and I realized I got sick the week of my sprint last fall as well.  I've been sick like twice in the past 2 years - the week of my two races!  Do any of you folks have this issue?

2010-04-08 9:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
I will stick around as long as this group exists.  You all have contributed significantly to my progression in a short time and I really appreciate the support and advice this group gives.  I can't imagine finding a better group of folks to train virtually with.

GO TEAM!

Hope everyone knocks down a big PR this weekend!  I know you can all can do it!

Compete, Dominate, Win!!

Warren - I hope you feel better soon.
2010-04-08 9:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond

I need some help on my runs off the bike.  My last few brick workouts and my sprint race a couple weeks ago I got cramps in my chest/ribs area and shoulders, I worked through them, but they were definitely uncomfortable and believe they will just get worse with the heat and longer distances coming in my next couple of races. 

Any thoughts on why this might be happening and what to do about it?

2010-04-08 9:44 PM
in reply to: #2778867

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!

Matt,

could the shoulder cramps be from not staying relaxed on the bike and really putting a death grip or being tense in shoulder blade area? I catch myself shrugging my shoulders alot on the bike, which causes some tension. This really happens when I'm on the aero bars.

it may/may not be what is causing, but just an idea. remember to try and relax your shoulders.

2010-04-09 7:31 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Matt,
Do you feel like you're getting proper hydration and nutrition.  Hydration is an obvious limiter to performance and can cause all kinds of pains, cramps, dizziness, nautiousness, etc.  But I find that when I haven't had enough nutrition, I can get some bad cramps.  Maybe a hammer jel or two toward the end of the bike, prior to the run might help.
2010-04-09 8:10 AM
in reply to: #2777143

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
wbayek - 2010-04-08 12:09 AM I'm fighting a head cold, and I realized I got sick the week of my sprint last fall as well.  I've been sick like twice in the past 2 years - the week of my two races!  Do any of you folks have this issue?

I haven't had this issue with tris - but it used to happen all the time at work. Whenever I had a really big project, once the deadline was in sight, I would get sick...almost like your body is relaxing a bit with the end in sight. Sorry to hear this. Take care of yourself and I hope the race goes well.

Matt - X2 on the hydration/nutrition. Take a look at how much you are ingesting while on the bike. For me, it's a great time to get re-hydrated (and fed) because I can drink without spilling all over myself (usually) and take my time to eat a bit.

Best of luck to all racing this weekend...and for those of us who are not - have a great training weekend. I'm doing the bike/run loop of a sprint being held at the end of May with my friend on Saturday. It's her first tri and she's a bit nervous, so I told her I would come down (about 80 miles south of here) and do the course with her. Sunday is a long run (2:15)...I got a hand-held bottle for water - so I'm going to do it outside!

2010-04-09 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2778893

User image

Veteran
Richmond
barelfly - 2010-04-08 9:44 PM

Matt,

could the shoulder cramps be from not staying relaxed on the bike and really putting a death grip or being tense in shoulder blade area? I catch myself shrugging my shoulders alot on the bike, which causes some tension. This really happens when I'm on the aero bars.

it may/may not be what is causing, but just an idea. remember to try and relax your shoulders.

I think you are right about the bike position, I'm much better now with the advice you all gave on releasing my death grip, leaning too much on my wrists/hands, etc. that was causing the handlebar palsy.  Also, being new to biking and just getting my new fit done, I felt like the shoulders must be related to my bike position.  I probably just need to keep working on it with more time in the saddle and practicing good technique (which I am still learning what that means).  I also get a sore neck a lot lately and think it also is related to my bike position, but that doesn't appear to impact my runs.  The good news is my new fit and practicing some stretches and techniques you and others have pointed out to me has made the handlebar palsy subside for now.
2010-04-09 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2779327

User image

Veteran
Richmond
billsorg - 2010-04-09 7:31 AM Matt,
Do you feel like you're getting proper hydration and nutrition.  Hydration is an obvious limiter to performance and can cause all kinds of pains, cramps, dizziness, nautiousness, etc.  But I find that when I haven't had enough nutrition, I can get some bad cramps.  Maybe a hammer jel or two toward the end of the bike, prior to the run might help.

I am getting better at hydration on the bike (better = I can reach down and grab a drink now), but may not be doing it early enough or regularly throughout the workout.  I try to eat a powerbar before I leave and have a sports drink with me, which I am now finishing and needed to add another bottle for longer rides.  The last long ride I took a gel and drank at the end of my ride and then immediately ran, I'm thinking I need to do it before the end of the bike so it has some time to digest before the run. Thanks.

Follow on questions: I just started trying GU gels, do they ever give you cramps?  Do you have to take a GU with water or can I take a GU and still drink my gatorade?
2010-04-09 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2779466

User image

Veteran
Richmond
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-04-09 8:10 AM
wbayek - 2010-04-08 12:09 AM I'm fighting a head cold, and I realized I got sick the week of my sprint last fall as well.  I've been sick like twice in the past 2 years - the week of my two races!  Do any of you folks have this issue?

I haven't had this issue with tris - but it used to happen all the time at work. Whenever I had a really big project, once the deadline was in sight, I would get sick...almost like your body is relaxing a bit with the end in sight. Sorry to hear this. Take care of yourself and I hope the race goes well.

Matt - X2 on the hydration/nutrition. Take a look at how much you are ingesting while on the bike. For me, it's a great time to get re-hydrated (and fed) because I can drink without spilling all over myself (usually) and take my time to eat a bit.

Best of luck to all racing this weekend...and for those of us who are not - have a great training weekend. I'm doing the bike/run loop of a sprint being held at the end of May with my friend on Saturday. It's her first tri and she's a bit nervous, so I told her I would come down (about 80 miles south of here) and do the course with her. Sunday is a long run (2:15)...I got a hand-held bottle for water - so I'm going to do it outside!

That is a good suggestion, I think I need to be more precise in my hydration and nutrition needs for the longer bricks, I have a long 2.5 hr bike + 20 min run brick tomorrow that I will practice all this at as another benchmark.

I just got the hand-held bottle (Ultimate Direction FastDraw Plusthat Aaron recommended and tried it this week on my long run.  It actually was easier to run with than I expected, but I did have to stop at the gas station and refill it with more gatorade since I was on a 2 hour run, but it worked very good for that route.
2010-04-09 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK

I hope everyone has a great weekend of racing.  I'll find out how ya'll did on the 19th.

My wife and I are heading to Cozumel tomorrow and will be back on Sun the 18th.  It's a scuba diving trip so aerobic exercise is a no-no. Frown  I hope I feel refreshed when I get back, and not deconditioned.  We shall see.  I will be back for 3 days.  During those three days I plan on really getting some good training in, because then it's off the New Orleans for Jazz Fest.  I will try to get some exercise in, but it doesn't seem promising.  We usually wake up early, grab breakfast, head to the bar and wait for all the people we are meeting, listen to bands until 6:00ish, then go eat dinner.  We usually aren't back to our rooms until 9 or 10, then we are off to see more live music at the local clubs.  When I get back home, I will have 21 weeks until my IM.  I think/hope this is good timing and I will start will a decent base to handle IM training.  <fingers crossed>

I wish success and fun to everyone who is racing the next three weekends.

2010-04-09 9:00 AM

User image

NH
Matt, you definitely need to take water with GU, or any other similar product.  Plain water is best.  In terms of cramps, I think the acceptance of different products by our stomachs is very personal and needs to be figured out for each of us.  Timing has a big impact as well - I can't drink too much within 15-20 minutes of the run or I get some cramping.

In terms of the bike - new positions take time for your body to get used to.  I've heard many times that the professional fit is a starting point and not necessarily the exact final solution.  It's amazing to me how a tiny adjustment (1/4" inch sometimes), makes such a huge difference.  In general, comfort >> aero for our level.  And once I started going for longer rides the past few years I've realized that comfort at one hour is very different than comfort at 2 or 3.

Moving around on the bike is key for me.  A little neck stretch every now and then helps a ton.  Standing and stretching the calves and hips as well.  But the truth is that being in aero position is a very unnatural position so we have to train our bodies to be there.

2010-04-09 9:08 AM
in reply to: #2779622

User image

NH
ray6foot7 - 2010-04-09 9:55 AM

My wife and I are heading to Cozumel tomorrow and will be back on Sun the 18th.  It's a scuba diving trip so aerobic exercise is a no-no. Frown  I hope I feel refreshed when I get back, and not deconditioned.

I wish success and fun to everyone who is racing the next three weekends.

Thanks Ray, we'll hopefully keep the PR parade going.

21 weeks sounds like plenty to get ready for the IM, and since you've had a great past few months I'm sure you'll hang on to plenty of that conditioning.  You young guys have it easy!  Cool  Most of all enjoy these weeks as tris are just a part of what we do, and what you're doing these next few weeks is important to keep you fired up.

As a favor - scope out and report on the Cozumel landscape - that's one of my long term possibilities for an IM!
2010-04-09 1:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Hope you're feeling better, Warren, plenty of fluids and vitamin c is what I do when I feel it coming on.

Ray, have a great trip. I, too, am interested in IMCOZ someday so let us know how it is down there.

Matt, how's your run form? your hands look really low to me in the profile pic so shoulder cramping might be a combination of that and bike position...just a thought of course, I'm no expert and I didn't stay in a holiday inn express.
2010-04-09 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2779622

User image

Expert
WA
ray6foot7 - 2010-04-08 6:55 PM

I hope everyone has a great weekend of racing.  I'll find out how ya'll did on the 19th.

My wife and I are heading to Cozumel tomorrow and will be back on Sun the 18th.  It's a scuba diving trip so aerobic exercise is a no-no.

Yer a party animal!! Wink  LOL!    We all exercise and sweat our butts off so we can take these nice vacations and eat and drink what we like...no guilt!  Enjoy yourself and don't worry about the training.   The time you spend with your wife and friends is more important.  Have fun!

2010-04-09 4:11 PM

User image

Expert
WA
Wow!  Mucho races this weekend!!!! 

Warren
Good luck on that half!  Your going to kill it!  Make sure not to go out too fast!...I ALWAYS have to slow myself down in the beginning.  Get that pace, keep it and finish strong!

Bob,
A 5K on Saturday and an Olympic Tri on Sunday!! Wow!  I wish we had weather that permitted that!  Impressive you are doing both in one weekend! Good luck and rock them bro!!

Aaron,
Good luck on that 10K!! Those Brooks Ghost #2's are gonna be flying!  Knock it out of the park!! Laughing 

I am getting pumped!!!  I wanna race now too!!  Cry  LOL!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76