BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-07-15 11:29 AM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Master
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!
Geez, you people crack me up.  I love this group.  More later, hubbs is here to take me to lunch.

2010-07-15 2:29 PM
in reply to: #2981127

User image

Melon Presser
quincyf - 2010-07-15 3:57 AM Hi everyone...finally caught up here and have a moment to goof off on the computer.  Last Friday we packed up our show and took it on the road to visit the in-laws in Dubuque (the largest city in America that is NOT located on a major interstate...little known fact for the Cliff Clavins out there).  The kids got to hang with Grama and Grampa and we had a mommy-daddy endurance sports festival.  Saturday morning we got up and drove 65 miles back towards home to Freeport, IL, where I had found a little triathlon at the local Y.  It has been my sinister plan all along to get my husband into triathlon...so we decided this was going to be his first one.

We discovered in the last few weeks that he is not a very good swimmer.  Like I was not comfortable with him doing OWS.  Yeah, that bad.  I was surprised because he made it through Naval Aviation water survival training...but you don't have to be able to swim anywhere fast, in fact it is mostly about staying afloat in one place for as long as possible...anyway, we're working on getting him lessons so he can fix his stroke, but I figured a 400m swim in a 25m pool was pretty benign...

My race report covers the basics...but the really entertaining part is how DH WON his AG with a 10:45 swim.  I still die laughing about it...now granted, it was a very small, not so competitive tri, but seriously, what kind of a freak wins his first tri?

And to my midwestern peeps out there, I have to give this race props.  I ONLY did it because I could roll a tri into a visit with the inlaws and get free babysitting.  The pool swim didn't appeal to me much, and I figured it would be sort of dull, but I ended up having a blast and huge respect for this nice little event.  The bike course was well manned and well marked.  And pretty challenging.  The pool swim was organized and not nearly as chaotic as I expected.  The run was standard.  

And it was fun introducing DH to the interesting world of triathlon...coming from running where people just do their own thing, it is kind of a shocker when you meet so many chatty, friendly people after the race, or hear someone call your name or number out as you go by on the run with a hearty "good job or nice effort."  (Did I just use the word hearty?  What a geek)  Even on the bike or run when you pass or get passed, people often say something cheerful to you.  He actually got a little annoyed on the run because everyone he passed said something to him, and he was finally all...jeez, let me be.  

Anyway, I am pleased to report that he is HOOKED and phase one of my triathlon plan is complete.  

Sunday we did our long runs for marathon training.  I can report with certainty that running in Dubuque is a HILLY mess and tough for this flatlander.  I think I could have done less than 14 miles and gotten the same thing out of it, but I missed a couple of miles last week and I'm really trying to stick right with the plan as much as possible.  Monday we did a recovery run that was SUPPOSED to be only 3 miles, but he missed the turnaround...so we both went too far...I wasn't too happy about that.  It's his 'hood, he's supposed to know his way around.

Anyway before I sign off, can I just express my respect to those of you who trained for and competed in a Marathon?  I am definitely learning new things about endurance running training right now.  Mostly about how it hurts.  I am still more of a sprinter so I can get away with less volume and more quality, it's an interesting new world for me...slogging through such volume.  And I miss my bike and swim...a LOT.  Not going to do this next year...it's all three for me all summer in 2011!!!

Quincy ... holding gut in, laughed too hard at your RR ... ow ow ow

Super congrats to you AND to hubby, he is officially one of the pod people now ... so funny, one of my friends got her dad (a runner) into racing, and after his first one he was like, if one more person rings a cowbell at me, I'm shoving it up his azz. (but he was secretly pleased and he got a medal so he was really happy)
2010-07-15 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2982931

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
crews - 2010-07-15 11:29 AM Geez, you people crack me up.  I love this group.  More later, hubbs is here to take me to lunch.

What?  What did we do?  Innocent 
2010-07-15 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2982321

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
gadgetlaw - 2010-07-15 8:21 AM Hi all,

Just wanted to check in real quick.  I am getting ready to leave for the airport.  My race on Sunday was awesome!!  I am still working on the report and will let you know when it is ready!  I will check in soon!

Karen

Tease 
2010-07-15 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2981161

User image

Regular
quincyf - 2010-07-14 4:05 PM Kerry:  welcome home, did you get new shoes yet???

I did!!  Actually rode my bike to the Running shop and picked up a new pair on Tues?  Weds?  My days are all scrambled.

My mother asked me if I was going to have a heart attack doing the tri Aug 7 (guess I have been packing on the pounds).  Nice, Mom!!!

So I signed up for 2 more

Quincy, you sly devil you!  Congrats to you and DH!
2010-07-15 3:22 PM
in reply to: #2983479

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
TriAya - 2010-07-15 2:29 PM 

Quincy ... holding gut in, laughed too hard at your RR ... ow ow ow

Super congrats to you AND to hubby, he is officially one of the pod people now ... so funny, one of my friends got her dad (a runner) into racing, and after his first one he was like, if one more person rings a cowbell at me, I'm shoving it up his azz. (but he was secretly pleased and he got a medal so he was really happy)

Yanti, I am seriously thinking about starting a blog that is devoted to race reports of the "hilarity ensued" variety...I LOVE reading and writing them. 

2010-07-15 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2983625

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
New shoes are exciting Kerry...does it feel like you're floating on clouds as you run?
You have to love comments from the family but way to turn that comment around by signing up for 2 more races!

Q- Nice race report and way to get your DH into it also.  I am sure the kids will be more involved before you know it too.
2010-07-15 9:36 PM
in reply to: #2983743

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
blackledge - 2010-07-15 3:54 PM  
Q- Nice race report and way to get your DH into it also.  I am sure the kids will be more involved before you know it too.

Oh yeah Ry, you nailed it...I figure we can do a family tri...I swim (how did it come to this), Daddy bikes, and K runs...you should see her, 5 years old and has a beautiful forefront strike already...and the boy is a natural swimmer so maybe I can retire and make sandwiches while my brood races...HEAVEN!  Haha... 
2010-07-15 9:39 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
And now for something completely different...

My husband just used "paucity" in a sentence.  Correctly.  I fell in love all over again.  Sorry, didn't know who else to share this with.  Nighnigh all... 
2010-07-16 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2984274

User image

Melon Presser
quincyf - 2010-07-16 10:39 AM And now for something completely different...

My husband just used "paucity" in a sentence.  Correctly.  I fell in love all over again.  Sorry, didn't know who else to share this with.  Nighnigh all... 

YES!!! Very appropriate.

I fall in love with complete strangers just because I hear them use a $10 word ...

If someone ever spoke an unfamiliar word, I might have to propose marriage. On the spot. (Australian slang does not count).
2010-07-16 1:30 PM

User image

Regular
I had to look it up.  Do  you still love me?

I am a math geek.

Hey, can someone tell me why I get headaches EVERY time I swim?  Is it my breathing?  I am breathing every 4-6 and never feel out of breath.  Ouch.

2010-07-16 2:54 PM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
Hi everybody!! I'm hopefully back for good this time.

I'm all healed up and ready to get back in the game. There's a tri in October that I'm looking at doing. I could actually turn it into a vacation weekend because it's at the beach. What's not to love? Just one of the many perks of living in the South.

I'm signing up for swimming lessons. I never actually learned how to swim, I just know how to not drown. Plus I'm phobic of putting my face in the water and I need to get over that. I'm gonna see if they'll let me joint the Saturday morning class a week late. Hopefully it won't be an issue.
2010-07-16 4:23 PM

User image

Master
Hi Manatees.  Hope everyone has a fun weekend planned.  I know I'm ready for a few days off.  I'm doing a metric century in the morning.  Should be fun, the heat index is supposed to be 106. 
2010-07-16 5:17 PM
in reply to: #2985743

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
kerryd - 2010-07-16 1:30 PM I had to look it up.  Do  you still love me?

I am a math geek.

Hey, can someone tell me why I get headaches EVERY time I swim?  Is it my breathing?  I am breathing every 4-6 and never feel out of breath.  Ouch.

Swim cap or goggles too tight and/or sensitivity to the mammoth amounts of chemicals in public pools.  Those are my main culprits.

Hi all.  Thanks for all the prayers.  We're still muddling through the situation but at least now I'm starting to recognize my daughter again.  Every now and then she forgets she's supposed to be angsty and emo (you have no idea how much I HATE emo!  goth is happier and I'm tempted to let her dye her hair black and buy her platform combat boots just to get her off the emo kick) and I see some of her old sparkle.  We still have to deal with the court stuff but things are progressing and it should be over before she starts school. 

We've been at my parent's house for almost 3 weeks now with no casualties which is good.  I've looked at something like 30 houses so far and haven't found the right one yet (unless we count the perfect one that went under contract before I could get Hubs back to see it).  *Sigh*

I said I wasn't going to do any more races this year but it's really killing me.  A friend from high school just told me she's doing one downtown on the 31st and asked if I wanted to join her.  I really want to say yes but I haven't really done any training in the last four weeks.  My logs are accurate and pathetic.  So torn.

I'm so proud of everyone on here for sticking with your training and getting out there to your races.  I'm going to try to get through everyone's race reports over the next week but until then *flipper hi-5* to everyone.
2010-07-16 7:38 PM
in reply to: #2986304

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Allison -  Is it the South Shore Tri on 7/31?  I was just thinking about signing up for that one too.  I have never done it before. It's a bit pricey but does come with a bike jersey I think?? Would love to see you out there if we both decide to do it!

Kerry - I am a math geek too and had to look it up or ask my English teacher wife
Do you get water in your ears ever? I have heard that can contribute to dizziness and/or minor headaches.
2010-07-16 10:03 PM
in reply to: #2986425

User image

Master
Vista, CA

I say go for the tri if possible, Allison. You deserve a break with your hs friend. I'm glad to hear your daughters regaining some sparkle. Some day in the future you'll all look back and it will be a distant memory. Don't blame you about finding that "perfect" house. It will come to you.

As far as the headaches, you got some good Manatee advice -- goggles too tight, chlorine, water in ears...could be all of the above. I've gotten dizzy and nauseous from too much chlorine and can't swim indoors at all. Cold water in my ears will make me a bit disoriented as well, fwiw.

Hot and humid, hot and humid....seems to be the order of the day -- even here in CA. Yanti -- we actually had one of those rare CA thunderstorms from the monsoonal moisture yesterday. I think it was in the 100's inland, close to it here and I'm 7 miles from the coast. (Yanti used to live out here).

We've had a rash of batrays and stings here, too. I think lifeguards treated 75 people this week, maybe more. They forgot to shuffle. I saw one a week or so ago swimming, but he was just swimming underneath me. Probably knew I was a Manatee and just left me alone, plus I didn't step on him.  They are quite beautiful as they swim.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

2010-07-16 11:34 PM
in reply to: #2985555

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
TriAya - 2010-07-16 12:20 PM
quincyf - 2010-07-16 10:39 AM And now for something completely different...

YES!!! Very appropriate.

I fall in love with complete strangers just because I hear them use a $10 word ...

If someone ever spoke an unfamiliar word, I might have to propose marriage. On the spot. (Australian slang does not count).

Like Jamie Lee Curtis in A Fish Called Wanda...goes apesh** when a man speaks a foreign language to her... 
2010-07-16 11:39 PM
in reply to: #2985743

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

I am a math geek.

Oh dear Kerry and Ryan, sorry I made you guys hit the dictionary...funny thing is, I am a math freak too...just hard to get all romantical when you're playing number games...10 dollar words are still the way to my heart...
2010-07-16 11:43 PM
in reply to: #2986304

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
thndrcloud - 2010-07-16 5:17 PM

I am a math geek.

Swim cap or goggles too tight and/or sensitivity to the mammoth amounts of chemicals in public pools.  Those are my main culprits.

Hi all.  Thanks for all the prayers.  We're still muddling through the situation but at least now I'm starting to recognize my daughter again.  Every now and then she forgets she's supposed to be angsty and emo (you have no idea how much I HATE emo!  goth is happier and I'm tempted to let her dye her hair black and buy her platform combat boots just to get her off the emo kick) and I see some of her old sparkle.  We still have to deal with the court stuff but things are progressing and it should be over before she starts school. 

We've been at my parent's house for almost 3 weeks now with no casualties which is good.  I've looked at something like 30 houses so far and haven't found the right one yet (unless we count the perfect one that went under contract before I could get Hubs back to see it).  *Sigh*

I said I wasn't going to do any more races this year but it's really killing me.  A friend from high school just told me she's doing one downtown on the 31st and asked if I wanted to join her.  I really want to say yes but I haven't really done any training in the last four weeks.  My logs are accurate and pathetic.  So torn.

I'm so proud of everyone on here for sticking with your training and getting out there to your races.  I'm going to try to get through everyone's race reports over the next week but until then *flipper hi-5* to everyone.

Allison, glad to hear there's a break in the clouds up there in the northern 'burbs.  You know, the SS tri has a supersprint distance...it's crazy, like a 200m swim, 6mi bike, and 1 mi run.  With distances like that, who needs training???  DOOOO ITTT!!!

I was totally jonesing to do it, but Babydaddy put the kibosh on it...we have the 1/2 mary the next day and I am going for a corral for the marathon.  Stupid running is cutting into my fun time.  If you and Ryan do it, I might come down there and shake some cowbell at you guys...keep us in the loop... 
2010-07-16 11:55 PM
in reply to: #2986026

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Scottie07 - 2010-07-16 2:54 PM Hi everybody!! I'm hopefully back for good this time.

I'm all healed up and ready to get back in the game. There's a tri in October that I'm looking at doing. I could actually turn it into a vacation weekend because it's at the beach. What's not to love? Just one of the many perks of living in the South.

I'm signing up for swimming lessons. I never actually learned how to swim, I just know how to not drown. Plus I'm phobic of putting my face in the water and I need to get over that. I'm gonna see if they'll let me joint the Saturday morning class a week late. Hopefully it won't be an issue.

Emily--welcome back, glad to hear you are better.  I highly recommend going somewhere for a tri...we had the best time on our one night little vacay when I did my OLY.  And good luck on the swimming, I think most all of us can use formal instruction in the water, it is SO technique driven.  

And CARLA--good luck on your metric century, that distance is nothing to sneeze at.  Plus the small matter of 106 heat index.  Gaw.  Drink lots of water!

Lynn- I never answered you about the plan...I am doing to Hal Higdon thing...along with about 20,000 other runners on the Chicago Lakefront.  It is weirdly comforting to know that everyone else is doing the exact same thing I am doing.  I feel like high fiving everyone else out running and saying, Hey, nice job on the 14 miler, or, whew, speedwork is tough, huh.  I leapfrogged a guy yesterday that I swear was doing the exact same workout as me.  Funny... 

And just to be clear, I am am an EXTREME VETERAN with 301 posts.  Recognize!  Night All. 
2010-07-17 1:49 AM

User image

Melon Presser
Lynn darling--yes marathons are awesome ... and "sick" is right. So wait, are you doing an Aquabike? you said no swim ... did you mean no run? Or are you doing a whopping giant brick?

Laura--welcome back, how did your daughter's party go? I want some cake. Totally normal to get into training funks ... make sure you're not overtraining. Take a few days to make workouts fun ... use a mountain bike for example and stop for doughnuts ... do some doggypaddle laps in the middle of a swim ... seriously, dial back the intensity or volume for a few days, find a way to freshen up. (your workouts not you, ha ha)

Kerry--of course I still love you. Always. I'm just not proposing marriage . MATH GEEKS ROCK ... I'm reading The Man Who Only Loved Numbers right now, about Paul Erdos, it's fantastic. Way to go signing up for 2 more tris ... also you got some good info re headaches. Chlorine can headache me. Flip turns can headache me plenty esp. if I'm already having a bit of sinus problem or stuffy nose. Try breathing more and see what happens, too.

EMIRRRY!!!!--welcome back and I'm sooooo happy you're all healed up. Way to go to get swimming lessons ... I had to learn to ride a bike to do triathlon ... it's so worth it.

Alison--great to hear back from you. Good to know your daughter is still human sometimes ... it will get better. I promise. No reason you can't do the race ... if you don't feel prepared for it, just don't "race" it. Don't hate, participate

Carla carla carla--how'd the century go??? Man, 106, that sounds like the kind of insanity I'd do ... NUTZ!!!

Quincy--300. Respect.

As for me--I'm nearly at the end of my first REAL (as in full) week of Ironman training. Hoy hoy ... my name just got put up on the list of participants, it's OFFICIAL and scary!!! Then again, I've been on that list before ... and now I'm determined to stay on it and toe the line! I'm a bit sore and tired but in excellent spirits. Still have to hash out a long run and long bike, though, so it ain't over yet.

2010-07-19 8:14 AM
in reply to: #2986671

User image

Regular
Yanti, I just took a peak at your training log and almost fell over.  WOW!  Impressive!  Congrats to you for being officially on the list

Allison, the mini-sprint sounds perfect.  I hope it works out for you!!

Emily, swimming lessons is a great idea!

Q = you totally rock.  I have been reading your race reports and cracking up.

I am sorry for those I missed.  I am posting during a conference call

Less than 3 weeks till my tri and it's balls to the wall these next 2 weeks.  I feel pretty good though.  My run completely sucks (Lynn, I wish I could do an aquathon!) but I don't care if I walk half of the run.  Baby steps.

I am so annoyed by the race sign up in the DC area.  Everything fills up SO fast.  There are a bunch of events, but they are hard to get into.  DH says that DC has one of the highest concentration of competitive triathletes.  Go figure. 
2010-07-19 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2986216

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Carla- I hope that your metric century went well and you survived the heat ok.  It seems like the entire US is experiencing a heat wave.   A century is a great accomplishment and probably an even better once in such hot conditions!
2010-07-19 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2989167

User image

Melon Presser
kerryd - 2010-07-19 9:14 PM Yanti, I just took a peak at your training log and almost fell over.  WOW!  Impressive!  Congrats to you for being officially on the list

Less than 3 weeks till my tri and it's balls to the wall these next 2 weeks.  I feel pretty good though.  My run completely sucks (Lynn, I wish I could do an aquathon!) but I don't care if I walk half of the run.  Baby steps.

Thanks! I did pound out that long run and long ride, so yes, I am OFFICIALLY finished with my first real week of IM training!

Balls to the wall? I hope you mean just busy, and not training so much, right? Balls to the wall training okay this week, but 2 weeks out from tri--makes no difference. Can only maintain then.

Hmmm, have you been run training or run-walk training? 'Cause if you're gonna walk half of the run anyway ....

In any case, best of luck these next few weeks and I know you'll keep us posted.
2010-07-19 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2989228

User image

Regular
Balls to the wall? I hope you mean just busy, and not training so much, right? Balls to the wall training okay this week, but 2 weeks out from tri--makes no difference. Can only maintain then.

Hmmm, have you been run training or run-walk training? 'Cause if you're gonna walk half of the run anyway ....

Plugging ears - La la la la la la !!!    I like to think that I still have more than enough time to train, but I guess the jig is up, huh?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60