BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-05-27 11:11 AM
in reply to: #3521275

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!

kenj - 2011-05-27 6:58 AM Friday before a long weekend!

Chime in with who's racing this weekend or any other plans!

Just a local 5K Sunday for me.

Keri hasn't stopped in here lately, but I am hoping she will give us some details of her experience volunteering at IMTX last weekend!

I only have "other plans" this weekend - hopefully a couple more trainng sessions and lot's of BBQ's this weekend. Cool

2011-05-27 11:36 AM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Regular
Connecticut

Edited by scraver 2011-05-27 11:36 AM
2011-05-27 12:10 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Good luck Sherri!!!! (btw funny pic.!)

Good luck Ken!

I have my first sprint tri tomorrow (800 m swim, 10 mi bike, 5k run). Rest of the weekend will be working on the house.

2011-05-27 12:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA

Hey everyone - sorry I've been MIA.  I was out of town for a few days and two sick boys this week.  They've both been to the ER (1 went twice) but thankfully just really sore throats - no strep or tonsillitis.  When I got home last night they were already doing a lot better.

I have a local 5k as well on Sunday morning (I'm skipping church - first time all year!).  Hoping for some great gains over last year's time.

Bike rides, BBQs, parade, etc. is planned if the boys are up to it.

Good luck all and have a great Memorial Day weekend!

2011-05-27 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3522016

User image

Regular
Maryland
robingray_260 - 2011-05-27 12:10 PM

Good luck Sherri!!!! (btw funny pic.!)

Good luck Ken!

I have my first sprint tri tomorrow (800 m swim, 10 mi bike, 5k run). Rest of the weekend will be working on the house.

Wow, Robin, good luck to you as well.

I will also be entertaining and doing some grilling this weekend.

2011-05-27 12:49 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Wishing the very best of fortunes to all who are racing this weekend!!!!

Looking forward to hearing all about it.

2011-05-27 1:16 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Good luck Sherri with your 10K, you will do great!
Robin, enjoy your tri this weekend! Stay warm and have some fun!
Steve, I hope you get the time you are looking for Sunday, it will definately be faster than mine!

I look forward to hearing how all of your races go.  Mine is just for fun, I have a 14 miler on the schedule for Sunday so I will probably run 10 or 11 on the way to the race and have my wife meet me there. 

I just went at lunch and purchased an insolated swim cap , they didn't have the ear plugs that I was looking for, but I have a week still!  And, the forcast after today up to the race is mostly sunny and 80 degree weather, so with any luck the water temp gets into the 60's!

2011-05-27 2:17 PM
in reply to: #3522143

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA

kenj - 2011-05-27 2:16 PM Good luck Sherri with your 10K, you will do great!
Robin, enjoy your tri this weekend! Stay warm and have some fun!
Steve, I hope you get the time you are looking for Sunday, it will definately be faster than mine!

I look forward to hearing how all of your races go.  Mine is just for fun, I have a 14 miler on the schedule for Sunday so I will probably run 10 or 11 on the way to the race and have my wife meet me there. 

I just went at lunch and purchased an insolated swim cap , they didn't have the ear plugs that I was looking for, but I have a week still!  And, the forcast after today up to the race is mostly sunny and 80 degree weather, so with any luck the water temp gets into the 60's!

I must admit I'm thrilled that I didn't sign up for Keuka.  I've got a friend racing with ya next weekend.  This weekend he is up at Lake Placid training with a group from my town.

2011-05-27 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3522232

User image

Expert

Good luck to Sherri, Steve, Robin and Ken with your races this weekend! I am looking forward to hearing about all your races.

This weekend I will do a long ride and long run, and a bunch of yardwork. We are also having a college graduation party for my oldest son, which I think got a little out of hand. It'll be at a hall with over 50 guests and a DJ. Maybe I could have gotten a nice new bike, instead

2011-05-27 6:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Good luck all you racers!!!!
I've got a 60ish mile training ride tomorrow and a 10k, The Bolder Boulder on Monday. Hoping for a PR but really just running to have fun. It's a great race very much along the lines of a Rock N' Roll event will bands every few miles and TONS of people out there cheering. The only race I've ever done with that much crowd support. Including the RNR 1/2 marathon I did here in the fall, although that was an inaugural race.

Ken I'm feeling you on the whole water temps thing...my first tri of the season is next weekend also and it's going to be cold... I keep wondering if I should skip it in exchange for one last long training ride. It was actually a free entry for volunteering last year. On the other hand I'm going to have to get in that water sooner or later.
2011-05-27 7:55 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

For those that are racing, good luck and have fun!

2011-05-28 1:18 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Everyone having a good weekend so far?  I got my training done this morning and now we are trying to get some yard work done!
2011-05-28 4:51 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Did my first ever group ride today.

Met a guy who has done 41 full IM distance races over the last 20 years and picked his brain for two hours.

He looked so normal for a crazy person.

2011-05-28 5:46 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

I just got back from my sprint tri - went really well.  Don't have the exact times as I always forget to hit the stupid watch buttons.  I finished around 1:20 (PR) and my 5k time was under 27 minutes, which was faster than my stand alone 5k last weekend. The swim was COLD and chaotic and I had a mild panic attack within a few minutes of the start. Luckily I was able to pull it together and finish.  I will post my RR as soon as I get the race results.

On a sadder note - a man in the heat in front of me was pulled out of the water dead. Initial guesses was that he had a heart attack. They performed CPR on him (unfortunately my kids got to see this), but to no avail. Very tragic.

2011-05-28 6:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Oh Robin how awful about the man!!! That is so so sad!!!

But you well you kicked some serious butt!!!! Way to go girl! Looking forward to the race report!

62 miles on the bike done today. Another good training ride and my first with a group. I don't feel like we held them up to bad although I was at the back the majority of the ride. I was pleased with my performance all though there were a couple of rough spots. Really need to work on nutrition. While I didn't bonk there was a time around 40ish miles where I struggled a bit and then we had a climb. I thought I was going to get a cramp in my thigh. We stopped shortly after for a rest I bought a gaorade and some trail mix and that seemed to make a big difference. Have we been over the what to eat on a long ride question? I get really tired of all the sweet stuff out there. Anyone?
2011-05-28 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3523196

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
robingray_260 - 2011-05-28 4:46 PM

I just got back from my sprint tri - went really well.  Don't have the exact times as I always forget to hit the stupid watch buttons.  I finished around 1:20 (PR) and my 5k time was under 27 minutes, which was faster than my stand alone 5k last weekend. The swim was COLD and chaotic and I had a mild panic attack within a few minutes of the start. Luckily I was able to pull it together and finish.  I will post my RR as soon as I get the race results.

On a sadder note - a man in the heat in front of me was pulled out of the water dead. Initial guesses was that he had a heart attack. They performed CPR on him (unfortunately my kids got to see this), but to no avail. Very tragic.

Robin, congrats on a great race!

I am so sorry to hear about the man who died. How sad and scary!

I have developed some type of sinus, cold or respiratory thing and it is doing a number on me. I had a big training weekend planned and wanted to do the ride that Julie did today but I just didn't have it in me. I thought about getting on the trainer this evening for awhile but I think I am just going to take another day totally off to hopefully expidite my recovery.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

2011-05-28 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3523235

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

julta - 2011-05-28 5:56 PM Oh Robin how awful about the man!!! That is so so sad!!! But you well you kicked some serious butt!!!! Way to go girl! Looking forward to the race report! 62 miles on the bike done today. Another good training ride and my first with a group. I don't feel like we held them up to bad although I was at the back the majority of the ride. I was pleased with my performance all though there were a couple of rough spots. Really need to work on nutrition. While I didn't bonk there was a time around 40ish miles where I struggled a bit and then we had a climb. I thought I was going to get a cramp in my thigh. We stopped shortly after for a rest I bought a gaorade and some trail mix and that seemed to make a big difference. Have we been over the what to eat on a long ride question? I get really tired of all the sweet stuff out there. Anyone?

Julie,

I wish I could have joined you today!  I am glad you are happy with your ride. I hope it has given you a bit more confidence.  I eat Cliff bars and things like that while on the bike. I just cut/break them in pieces and put them in a baggie which then goes in my bento box.  While on the bike, you have a lot more options for food intake without getting the GI problems that come with the run.

2011-05-28 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Kathleen you would think I eat plenty but I'm always starving and I'm guessing by the fact that the nuts seem to hit the spot maybe I need something salty and with more protein. Today I ate 1-gu 1-pbj sandwich with 1/2 a banana on it (won't do that again at least banana it was gross) 1-protein bar and a bag of trail mix. LOL wow that's a lot of food! I also had a big bowl of oatmeal with an egg before I left.
2011-05-28 8:30 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Robin,

I just did a search on the internet and found a couple of stories about the man who died. He was a 42  year old Dr. who " "was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation - abnormal heart rhythm - four years ago and had been treating it"

One of the articles mentioned the air and water temps.  

2011-05-29 5:16 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2011-05-28 6:46 PM

That is too bad about the guy passing away during the race.  Especially that your kids had to witness it.

But congrats on doing so well in your tri!  Setting a PR is always great.  Great run too! 
2011-05-29 5:18 AM
in reply to: #3523158

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
marvintpa - 2011-05-28 5:51 PM

Did my first ever group ride today.

Met a guy who has done 41 full IM distance races over the last 20 years and picked his brain for two hours.

He looked so normal for a crazy person.

He probably thinks you are crazy for not doing the same thing as him! Wink

Nice that you got out with the group!

2011-05-29 5:22 AM
in reply to: #3523235

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
julta - 2011-05-28 7:56 PM Oh Robin how awful about the man!!! That is so so sad!!! But you well you kicked some serious butt!!!! Way to go girl! Looking forward to the race report! 62 miles on the bike done today. Another good training ride and my first with a group. I don't feel like we held them up to bad although I was at the back the majority of the ride. I was pleased with my performance all though there were a couple of rough spots. Really need to work on nutrition. While I didn't bonk there was a time around 40ish miles where I struggled a bit and then we had a climb. I thought I was going to get a cramp in my thigh. We stopped shortly after for a rest I bought a gaorade and some trail mix and that seemed to make a big difference. Have we been over the what to eat on a long ride question? I get really tired of all the sweet stuff out there. Anyone?

I like Infinit for both the bike and running.  For the bike I mix it about 50% stronger than standard mix.  It is only available on line and you can custom mix the blend for more salt, less flavor, etc.  I did 3 hours on the bike yesterday with just that and water.  But for longer races and rides I do like to have something solid.  In my special needs bag for IM's I put a pbj sandwich in.  I usually carry a cliff bar too just in case.

Problem with figuring out nutrition is that it is so personal.  What works for me may or may not work for you.  Best thing is to keep experimenting until you find something that works.  The usual problem though is not planning for it.

Nice ride!
2011-05-29 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

I really like payday candy bars. They are coated in peanuts so you can get your salt fix and they don't melt into a big mess.

Great job on the bike ride!  I really want to get out and do a long ride like that - logistically it is too much for right now though.  

2011-05-29 9:02 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

Did my first ever official 5 k run today in a glacier-like 33:47.

Had no idea how long it would take me. I'da been elated with sub 30 min but am more than happy at sub 35. Had to test out the back - it survived despite complaining.

Sorry to hear about the death an your event. That really puts things in perspective. We have to be grateful for the time we get here.

2011-05-30 8:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
robingray_260 - 2011-05-28 5:46 PM

Now that puts it in perspective.   Robin, congratulations on holding it together and getting your PR.

Julta, I use Hammer products.  Even if you don't, Hammer's web site has really good articles on what to do and what not to do for nutrition.  I've found it echoed in a lot of places.  250- 300 cals are about all you can do.  Your body doesn't absorb more.  If you know you are doing a workout of 3 hours or more, start eating from the start.  Cramps can be electrolytes and/or hydration.  Lots of both.  Hotter, plus 1. I'm using Hammer Electrolyte powder and Nuun, which is a fizzy tab you put in your water.  No pills for me anymore during the exercise.  Too much hassle and takes longer to get into the bloodstream.  But I use the pills the day before a race to top off my stores.

I like Perpetulem for longer races.  Liquid in flavors. Like the Espresso because it has caffeine. Used it on the half IM and felt as strong finishing as I did starting, no kidding.   You can also dissolve Gu or Hammer gel in water.  Easy on the tummy.  I put 300 cals in smaller bottles.  Chocolate Outrage.  Tastes great, sits well on the tummy and it works.

I did a brick Saturday with a 2 hour bike and 8 mile run.  2:45 hour bike yesterday with 50 miles, including a stop at a convenience store.  Moderate ride in heat and wind today with a friend just getting into triathlon. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72