BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-06-17 6:31 AM
in reply to: #3435676

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training

Ok...I've been trying to ignore this for a few days but I can't anymore.  I think i'm getting sick.  It might be allergies.  Whatever it is, I feel yuck.  Sore throat, stuffy head and a headache.   This weeked is so busy, I know I won't get much sleep.  I haven't been training because I don't want to get worse.  I know I shouldn't run tomorrow, but I hate to blow off a race.  I have 9 days till my HIM.  Any suggestions?  Does someone have a cold/sinus/allergy remedy?

Christy

2011-06-17 8:14 AM
in reply to: #3553679

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training
cbrookhart - 2011-06-17 6:31 AM

Ok...I've been trying to ignore this for a few days but I can't anymore.  I think i'm getting sick.  It might be allergies.  Whatever it is, I feel yuck.  Sore throat, stuffy head and a headache.   This weeked is so busy, I know I won't get much sleep.  I haven't been training because I don't want to get worse.  I know I shouldn't run tomorrow, but I hate to blow off a race.  I have 9 days till my HIM.  Any suggestions?  Does someone have a cold/sinus/allergy remedy?

Christy

Christy-for colds I try to use the "cold-eze" lozenges as soon as I feel a cold coming on.  Seems to lessen the symtoms and shorten the duration.  There are a number of these types of products and I think the zinc is suppose to help.  Not sure if science supports it but seems to help me. Lots of fluids and vitamin C. Some of the general "yuck" may be taper related.  Of course stuffy head, allergies etc are a different story.  But, lots of folks complain of feeling blah or yucky when they are tapering.  For me if its just a cold or allergy flare up I often feel better after a workout...clears things up.  If you have a fever then or breathing problems thats more serious.

Randy
2011-06-17 8:34 AM

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX
Christy, we are going thru the stuffy,sneezing,cough deal here, too! Don't like it! I have been able to work thru it, but my husband missed two days of work. I think it's just something going around and your asthma probably doesn't help it. I agree with Randy, if no fever, work thru it, maybe a little slower, a little easier. I double up on the vitamin c I normally take.
2011-06-17 8:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Well, finally got a good workout. 30 minute swim, followed by a hot and smoky 20 minute run. Short duration, but intensity was really good. Feeling much better now!

On the topic of trainers, again: I found a decent deal locally via Craigslist for this trainer (http://cycleops.com/products/trainers.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=168&category_id=3

The price is really good, and it looks as if it is new condition (aside from the dust it collected). Any insight on this trainer, oh knowledgeable ones? Also, definitely going to get a trainer wheel and tire. What's the best route to find one, needs to be Shimano compatible, and will have to get a 10 speed Shimano cassette.

2011-06-17 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3553920

User image

Master
South Alabama
Nick-looks like a nice trainer.  I would not go overboard for the wheel.  Maybe a Vuelta brand wheel through Nashbar or a Titan brand through Performance bike. Solid but nothing fancy/expensive.  Alternatively, if you have a road bike you don't use maybe the back wheel from it.  I would buy a trainer tire as they are built to last on the trainer much longer than a regular tire.  For me, I would try to match the cassette to what I use on the tri bike wheel to minimize the need for adjusting the drailleur when swapping.

Randy 
2011-06-17 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3553920

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Savage8778 - 2011-06-17 8:57 AM

Well, finally got a good workout. 30 minute swim, followed by a hot and smoky 20 minute run. Short duration, but intensity was really good. Feeling much better now!

On the topic of trainers, again: I found a decent deal locally via Craigslist for this trainer (http://cycleops.com/products/trainers.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=168&category_id=3

The price is really good, and it looks as if it is new condition (aside from the dust it collected). Any insight on this trainer, oh knowledgeable ones? Also, definitely going to get a trainer wheel and tire. What's the best route to find one, needs to be Shimano compatible, and will have to get a 10 speed Shimano cassette.

That is the exact same one I got on Craig's List! I did a lot of research on this end before picking mine up, and this brand was consistently recommended by other bikers/triathletes. I personally looooooove mine. It's quiet, doesn't take up a lot of room, is super easy to use, and I have to really work every second that I'm on it. Highly recommend!  

Make sure they give you the skewer with the trainer (for your wheel) so it easily fits into the trainer. If they no longer have it, you might be able to get one from a local bike store. Also, I have a block for my front wheel that came with my Craig's List purchase, too. 

Did they say why they were selling it? Mine was only used a few times and then the owner got injured in an accident, so he was no longer using it. Make sure they bought it new, not used... less likely to come with problems.

2011-06-17 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

I will be racing this weekend... Racing to get on a plane for a 9-day vacation in California tomorrow! (Woot!

Probably won't be active on the message boards until I get back, so GOOD LUCK to everyone really racing this weekend! I will be excited to read your race reports.  

2011-06-17 9:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
@Randy: Yeah, I am not looking to get an expensive wheel by any means. Literally, it could be the ugliest wheel possible. Just looking for something to serve it's purpose. When you say get a similar cassette, do you mean the exact same or just the same size. For instance, on my bike it is a 12-25 Dura-Ace rear cassette, would a 105 12-25 work, or must it be Dura-ace? Sorry for the simple question, just wanted to make sure I have my information correct.
2011-06-17 9:57 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Nick-the 105 would be fine.  I'm just not real mechanically inclined so I would stick with the same gearing and try to have it set up the same in terms of spacers etc.  Still will likely be a little different as wheels are all a little different.  I just like to keep adjustments to a minimum.

Randy  
2011-06-17 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3553997

User image

Master
South Alabama
nmladic - 2011-06-17 9:36 AM

I will be racing this weekend... Racing to get on a plane for a 9-day vacation in California tomorrow! (Woot!)   

Nicole-have a great trip.  We will look forward to a comprehensive report when you get back....poor decisions included

Randy
2011-06-17 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3554057

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
slornow - 2011-06-17 10:01 AM

I will be racing this weekend... Racing to get on a plane for a 9-day vacation in California tomorrow! (Woot!)   

Nicole-have a great trip.  We will look forward to a comprehensive report when you get back....poor decisions included

Randy

X2 Smile

2011-06-17 11:11 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
SHORTEST SWIM WORKOUT EVER!

Well, thought I would get to the pool a bit earlier than usual as the aqua grannies take up about half the pool with water aerobics beginning at 11:00am cst. Still usually not a problem to get a lane when they are there but since I have a light day at work thought I would get a swim done.  3 laps and then the pool is closed due to thunder in the area.    It took me longer to shower than to swim.

Really can't complain about the pool I use near work.  It is at a workout facility associated with a local hospital.  Nice, clean facility with a 25 yard pool. 4-5 swim lanes and a general use area.  With it being associated with the hospital there are lots of older folks that use the pool for easy exercise/rehab.  Rarely are there more than 2-3 lanes being used for lap swimming and as often as not if I go after about 12:30pm I am the only one in the pool.  In the year I have been going there I think I split a lane once (with a buddy of mine) for about 5-10 minutes while waiting for a lane to open.  I know I have it good but had to pout about the situation today.

Maybe someone can explain this.  We can't swim in the pool when there is thunder but its fine to shower....anyone??

Longish easy run tonight.

Randy   
2011-06-17 11:23 AM
in reply to: #3554258

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

slornow - 2011-06-17 11:11 AM SHORTEST SWIM WORKOUT EVER!

Well, thought I would get to the pool a bit earlier than usual as the aqua grannies take up about half the pool with water aerobics beginning at 11:00am cst. Still usually not a problem to get a lane when they are there but since I have a light day at work thought I would get a swim done.  3 laps and then the pool is closed due to thunder in the area.    It took me longer to shower than to swim.

Really can't complain about the pool I use near work.  It is at a workout facility associated with a local hospital.  Nice, clean facility with a 25 yard pool. 4-5 swim lanes and a general use area.  With it being associated with the hospital there are lots of older folks that use the pool for easy exercise/rehab.  Rarely are there more than 2-3 lanes being used for lap swimming and as often as not if I go after about 12:30pm I am the only one in the pool.  In the year I have been going there I think I split a lane once (with a buddy of mine) for about 5-10 minutes while waiting for a lane to open.  I know I have it good but had to pout about the situation today.

Maybe someone can explain this.  We can't swim in the pool when there is thunder but its fine to shower....anyone??

Longish easy run tonight.

Randy   

I can't explain the shower, but I do know that most indoor pools are not grounded. So if lightning does strike, it can still electrocute you.

Did you at least make those three laps a sprint?! Laughing

2011-06-17 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds
I don't shower when it 's thundering. I don't talk on the phone either. I just remember my mom telling me not to. No science behind it, just mom.
2011-06-17 2:33 PM
in reply to: #3554057

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
slornow - 2011-06-17 10:01 AM

Randy

Oh god, I'm sure there will be too many to count. I'm already bracing for the hangover

2011-06-17 5:21 PM
in reply to: #3554048

User image

Master
Baltimore
slornow - 2011-06-17 10:57 AMNick-the 105 would be fine.  I'm just not real mechanically inclined so I would stick with the same gearing and try to have it set up the same in terms of spacers etc.  Still will likely be a little different as wheels are all a little different.  I just like to keep adjustments to a minimum.

Randy  
I'm gonna suggest something a little different - get something with different gearing so that you have some options while riding. Lots of hills? Maybe an 11-27 would be good. No hills and you never use the full range? Maybe a 12-23 would be good. Then you can swap depending on the ride or race terrain. As long as you don't go larger than 27 or 28. You shouldnt have to make any adjustments (though larger than 28 would need a new RD, so avoid that) either. It will probably come with a spacer that you may or may not need. See what options are out there that you may like. 105 is perfectly fine for training and racing. sRAM cassette will work fine as well. I swap between a few ultegra and PG1070s without needing adjustments. However, a different wheel might cause a need for adjustment (or that spacer). I had to tune my RDs to my powertap wheel and it's off if I put my old mavic back on (it's ok, but I wouldn't want to race on it, it's fine on the trainer though). But, you may not have issues, most wheels should be close enough.

2011-06-17 8:01 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Joe-good idea on the cassette option.  That allows for different cassette/gearing depending on the course.

Randy
2011-06-17 11:44 PM

User image

Regular
Carmichael
Racing on Sunday in Canada. Rode a single loop of the bike course this afternoon, lots of rollers which will make it a challenge to find a rhythm. Trying to keep expectations low, my main goal is to run the entire half marathon and improve on my last HIM time from last year.
2011-06-18 11:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

I had a great race!!  According to my Garmin it was 10.16 miles and I averaged 9:32 min/mile.  The race results say it was 10 miles and I averaged 9:42 min/mile. I'm going with my Garmin Smile.   I finished 98th out of 364 in my age group and 1704 out of 4184 overall.  I'm really pleased.  For the first half i averaged 9:08.  The last half i averaged 9:57.  Guessing that's not the best way to run a race.  But the last 2 miles were uphill.

Christy

2011-06-18 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3555491

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX
Cool beans, Christy! Way to go! I struggle with 3 miles at 9:30 so I am impressed! Glad it all worked out for you!
2011-06-18 12:50 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Great job Christy...you must be feeling better.  Get some rest there is more racing to do.

Randy

2011-06-18 1:33 PM

User image

New user
Rowlett, TX
Anyone a member of Lifetime Fitness? They have a dedicated cycle and run group at the club near me as well as Masters Swim classes. I am considering joining them. Met some of the cycle group this morning and they were all very friendly and welcoming. They all have done or are training for tris.
2011-06-19 7:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville

Deb: Not a member of Lifetime, and unfortunately the only Lifetime in Florida is about 300 miles away from me. But looking at their website, and the pictures of their clubs, I wish we had one here in Jacksonville.

If you can see yourself using the facilities and other amenities at the gym then it would be a worthwhile investment. However, you also need to feel comfortable. I have found that a lot of people will join the most elaborate gyms, however are often times extremely intimidated (by either the equipment, or other patrons). I go to an average sized gym (we don't have a pool, and I truly feel comfortable at my gym (even though I don't go nearly as much as I used to due to Tri-specific training). 

Anyway, long story made short, go with where you fee comfortable. If you are solely going there for the group training effort, and you feel that the group will motivate you then it is a worthwhile investment if you ask me.

Hope everyone has a great day, and all the Fathers have an even better day! (Randy, and anyone else I am missing!)

2011-06-19 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3555491

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
cbrookhart - 2011-06-18 11:01 AM

I had a great race!!  According to my Garmin it was 10.16 miles and I averaged 9:32 min/mile.  The race results say it was 10 miles and I averaged 9:42 min/mile. I'm going with my Garmin Smile.   I finished 98th out of 364 in my age group and 1704 out of 4184 overall.  I'm really pleased.  For the first half i averaged 9:08.  The last half i averaged 9:57.  Guessing that's not the best way to run a race.  But the last 2 miles were uphill.

Christy

Way to go Christy!!

2011-06-19 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3555622

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX

djb45 - 2011-06-18 1:33 PM Anyone a member of Lifetime Fitness? They have a dedicated cycle and run group at the club near me as well as Masters Swim classes. I am considering joining them. Met some of the cycle group this morning and they were all very friendly and welcoming. They all have done or are training for tris.

Not a member, but have a few friends who are, and they love it! It is a beautiful facility and they offer alot, but they are pricey for a family - almost double what we pay at The Y :/

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsiegs and slornow's Train Hard and Have Fun group - CLOSED for Training Rss Feed  

of 56