BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-02-11 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4041854

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
TLakatos1259 - 2012-02-11 9:26 AM
oriolepwr - 2012-02-10 4:20 PM

quincyf - 2012-02-10 12:26 PM I PICKED THE WRONG WEEK TO STOP SNIFFING GLUE!

I'm feeling the need to "cook"    YO  Mr. White!!

Did 47 minutes on my bike, legs and butt hurt.  But the 3 egg, pork roll, american cheese, and tomato omelet was delicious.  Pork Roll is from Trenton, also called Taylor Ham.

Good work Tom!   That omelet sounds delicious!

2012-02-11 8:12 PM
in reply to: #3942395

Rochester
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
@Mark, if you are doing something that is all that matters. Get a workout in and you are doing more than some people.

On a different note, on a little vacation for a few days. In Pittsburgh Pa for a cheer competition for my youngest daughter. We came down early d/t my future dw went to school at Carnegie Mellon for college so we have been sightseeing. People here drive like morons!
2012-02-11 8:23 PM
in reply to: #4041128

User image

Expert
Hammond
mrkwhittaker - 2012-02-10 4:37 PM

Thanks for keeping me in.

Truth be told there are 2 things going on for me....

1-  I have been very sick, and on business trips for a while now (means my progress is slower than dirt, if not total reversion).

2-  I am almost intimidated by the progress everybody else seems to be making, and here i go barely able to ride 10 miles and run 3 (forget the swim part).  Everybody else seems to be makign some big strides toward goals, and I am relatively stagnant.  Don't get me wrong, I am not throwing a pity party, I am just stating that I really haven't had cause to post my less than stellar performance.  That, and the patriots lost, so I assumed I would get a load of plop because of that as well.

Anyway, I haven't gone anywhere, and I read this regularly (daily if not more), so I have been taking it all in, but just not posting.

Thanks
Mark W.

Mark
Glad to know you've been hanging out even if it has been quietly :-). Hope your well now and can get back to training. Don't be afraid to post your performance either - I promise I'm right there with you. One step forward two steps back seems to be my motto- lol. I figure they say it's all about the journey so my journey is just going to last a little longer. Must mean it's all good- haha.
Just keep reading, training and post when you can.
Shelly
2012-02-12 6:31 AM

User image

Edited by trei 2012-02-12 6:39 AM
2012-02-12 6:41 AM

User image

which reminds me of a question (excuse the language, or do they censor the postings?), but how long does it take before your (butt) callusses up?
2012-02-12 3:05 PM
in reply to: #4042765

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

trei - 2012-02-12 6:41 AM which reminds me of a question (excuse the language, or do they censor the postings?), but how long does it take before your (butt) callusses up?

Ugh, I don't know, but not forever...keep riding!!!

2012-02-12 3:06 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Listen up people! Lance freaking Armstrong!!! Google it, he's a freak....
2012-02-12 3:20 PM
in reply to: #4042765

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

trei - 2012-02-12 6:41 AM which reminds me of a question (excuse the language, or do they censor the postings?), but how long does it take before your (butt) callusses up?

To go ahead and answer when will  you be comfortable?    I'll say as soon as you ride outside.  

I want to ease some of your concern by telling you that if you were riding outside versus the trainer, your butt would not get A$$ sore.   So when  the weather changes and you start riding outside,  it will be less of a pain on the butt.   

The rigidness of the bike while locked into the trainer adds to the issue.  In addition when riding outside you stand up at times, stop at a light,  go over a kabillion little bumps all of which gives your rear a little break.      None of this happens on the trainer. 

Are you wearing bike shorts?    When riding on the trainer, I will typically make sure I'm wearing bike shorts (thick pad)  versus Tri shorts (thin pad)   

Right now at this stage , its too early to say that your saddle itself is a culprit.   But it could be.    Or your bike fit.   Or the angle of your seat, or just not enough time on the bike just yet  see  lots of variables here. 

Also are we talking about a sore butt, or actual saddle sores???    The above is re: Sore butt   not Saddle sores.    heh looks the same when you read it, but its not.       

Saddle Sores:   This is nothing to take lightly.   This can de-rail you!   this is a medical condition, an infection of the skin caused by the pressure, and friction from riding a lot.  Pretty difficult to ride with these once you get them.  So prevention is huge and then swift action to heal them quick.

ALWAYS make sure that you always wear a CLEAN pair of Tri/Bike shorts.   I know more $$$$  Or do your laundry really quickly.   Just do not wear a pair that is dirty.

They do market special chamois creme to apply to your  shorts to help prevent saddle sores  but I have never used  any.

What I do use at times, is......

BODY GLIDE!      make sure to get some if you dont have any.   It can help.     I think we need to have Body glide as its own topic besides  using it to prevent saddle sores.      (oh yeah and they do not sponsor me but still am totally for sale)

I use Desitin if I get an actual sore.   Just like on your babies rashes etc,   this stuff works wonders and will heal you quick.   But messy/slimy yes.     And if you apply some, then go to the gym to train, and forget that you have that on?   Then you may have some 'splaining to do. 

have to run for now  more later......

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-02-12 3:29 PM
2012-02-12 5:27 PM
in reply to: #4043287

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

quincyf - 2012-02-12 3:06 PM Listen up people! Lance freaking Armstrong!!! Google it, he's a freak....

Pretty incredible performance today!    Today sent a wakeup call to everyone did it not?    I was amazed and followed it via ironmanlive   

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-02-12 5:29 PM
2012-02-12 6:07 PM
in reply to: #4043420

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-02-12 5:27 PM

quincyf - 2012-02-12 3:06 PM Listen up people! Lance freaking Armstrong!!! Google it, he's a freak....

Pretty incredible performance today!    Today sent a wakeup call to everyone did it not?    I was amazed and followed it via ironmanlive   

Oh Yeah, not even sure how it's all gonna play out, but, WOW! Chris and I are impressed and motivated.

2012-02-12 10:43 PM
in reply to: #4043455

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
quincyf - 2012-02-12 7:07 PM

Oh Yeah, not even sure how it's all gonna play out, but, WOW! Chris and I are impressed and motivated.

Scary thing to me was his bike pacing. Showed alot of discipline laying  back and letting Lieto's ego get the better of him.

2012-02-13 10:34 AM

Thank you all for the well wishes.

I did run while I was on business.  I was in Camarillo CA, where I felt like I was ALWAYS running UPHILL.  Not just a little hill mind you, but a 3000' peak (well that's how tall it was in my head) to the point where by the time I got to what I thought was the top (the top as far as I was concerned), I was could have been going faster if I was crawling...  But it was fun to see the sights from up there...

The well wishes are great.  On teh way back from cali to boston, I started getting some chills on teh plane, and by the time I got on the ground I could barely walk because I was so sick.  It took a few weeks to get over, and now I am back on track. 

Thank you all so much for your support, and I will be sure to be more vocal in the future...

MW

2012-02-13 12:52 PM

Rochester
Thoughts of the day...I am finally back home in Rochester NY. Had a amazing time in Pittsburgh with my gf and my youngest daughter. My daughters cheer team came in 3rd place. I already miss the hotel bed. My dogs missed the crap out of us and will not move from my side for now. If my son saw or knew I was putting body glide on my butt he would die laughing and use it against me for the rest of my life.

Taking the day off, spent last night at my future mil's house and the smell of smoke annoys and sickens me now. I ran everyday I was away. I will post some thoughts later. If any of you Facebook and want to send me a friends request it is Peter Flagg on fb so send a request. Talk to all of you AWESOME peeps a little later.
2012-02-13 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4044883

Master
SouthSide of Chicago

peterflagg - 2012-02-13 12:52 PM Thoughts of the day...I am finally back home in Rochester NY. Had a amazing time in Pittsburgh with my gf and my youngest daughter. My daughters cheer team came in 3rd place. I already miss the hotel bed. My dogs missed the crap out of us and will not move from my side for now. If my son saw or knew I was putting body glide on my butt he would die laughing and use it against me for the rest of my life.

Taking the day off, spent last night at my future mil's house and the smell of smoke annoys and sickens me now. I ran everyday I was away. I will post some thoughts later. If any of you Facebook and want to send me a friends request it is Peter Flagg on fb so send a request. Talk to all of you AWESOME peeps a little later.

Welcome back and I know the feeling about the dogs.  I've got 3 of them.  More importantly CONGRATS to your daughter on 3rd Place!

2012-02-14 1:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Ughhh, my training week is not going so well.  Did a  run on Saturday as planned and since then I haven't hit any of my training targets... was suppose to swim on Sunday and bike, but that didn't happen as we spent most of the day at a race event for the kids.  Thought I'd run yesterday but I was so tired after my personal training session, and my legs/calves were so tight I skipped it.  Went to the gym this morning but again, running was not possible due to tightness in my calves.  I'm stretching, foam rolling, using the stick, etc. I'm just worried about getting injured so trying to be conservative but now I'm just stressing over not staying on track.  I know it's not the end of the world....just venting
2012-02-14 2:19 PM
in reply to: #4043420

User image

Expert
Hammond

We had a family Baptism and couldn't watch it but dh and I both kept getting updates. All I can say is WOW! I can't wait to see what he brings this year. And I want his genetics- lol.
Shelly

2012-02-14 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4047225

User image

Expert
Hammond
Ybeal - 2012-02-14 1:38 PM

Ughhh, my training week is not going so well.  Did a  run on Saturday as planned and since then I haven't hit any of my training targets... was suppose to swim on Sunday and bike, but that didn't happen as we spent most of the day at a race event for the kids.  Thought I'd run yesterday but I was so tired after my personal training session, and my legs/calves were so tight I skipped it.  Went to the gym this morning but again, running was not possible due to tightness in my calves.  I'm stretching, foam rolling, using the stick, etc. I'm just worried about getting injured so trying to be conservative but now I'm just stressing over not staying on track.  I know it's not the end of the world....just venting

It can be so frustrating when our bodies just won't cooperate with what we have planned for them. Don't they know that we're the boss- lol. I think it's better though to err on the conservative side especially with beginners like us. Build the base safely and I'm sure it'll pay off in the long run.

I've been doing Jeff Galloway's run / walk/ run training method and so far I really like it. I've gotten a tad faster and am able to go much farther. I used to have trouble completing a full 5k. I am now up to 5 miles and really think I could go more. I had to convince my ego that walking was not cheating, but it's been much better for me. I highly recommend reading any one of his books and just giving it a try.

Shelly
2012-02-14 4:12 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hi guys, Dave and I have been a bit absent for different reasons, but I wanted to check in and say hi! 'Cause usually I'm all tellin' you something or another, and I don't have to be bossy all the time ;-).

I am supposed to be starting my 30 week program for IMWI today and in truly inauspicious fashion am in the process of blowing off my first day. 

I'm feeling a bit under the weather and a thousand things that simply must be taken care of have popped up today (you know, life) so I am going with the flow and not worrying about it. 

I've also been worrying about substituting various activities for S/B/R and got some good advice on the forums to stop trying to do that and just go with a bike focus until I am cleared to run (which should be soon), so I am still kind of re-thinking how my plan is going to change. So I guess I'm starting off with a recovery week, hahaha!

Do any of you use any cycling programs, like spinervals? Wondering if anyone has any reviews or thoughts on those...I love riding my bike, so going to a bike intense program is actually kind of appealing, i just need to figure out some structure until I can get back on track...

In other news some of the hoops I have been jumping through the last few months have been regarding my 3 year old son...he has a pretty severe speech delay and recently aged out of Early Intervention and into the public school system. I am pretty sanguine about bureaucracy because of my military service and work at the airlines, but this process was terrifying even to me. Fortunately we finally got his IEP all worked out and we just found out he got placed in the preK at my daughter's elementary school. For any of you who aren't familiar with Chicago (or other huge cities, I am sure) the school systems are not like the 'burbs where everyone goes to their neighborhood school...you can have three kids and have all three of them going to different schools. Anyway, he's getting speech, occupational, and special ed along with this PreK placement and it's at her school which is, basically, a miracle. So I simply had to get all of our ducks in a row to ensure he gets enrolled and started right away because he hasn't had any therapy for about 6 weeks, and I feel like it is starting to 'show' a bit.

Do any of you have any 'unusual' children? My daughter is gifted and had a few quirks, but I was unprepared for dealing with this kid. He's super cool, and fun, but it is frustrating and strange to deal with him sometimes. He is starting to read, understand number concepts (not just counting), can ID by shape and name all 50 states, and many countries in Africa, Asia, and Europe (he shuns South America). Yet he doesn't really have any functional language (he speaks in almost purely echolalaic fashion) and it is hit or miss whether he understands me, let alone anyone else...he truly is all over the place and I just don't know what will become of him...just hoping his strengths outweigh his weaknesses and it evens out as he gets older...

Anyway, I know it is totally off topic, just thought I would share something completely unrelated to triathlon...if anyone has any thoughts or experience with an unusual child I would love to hear about it...

Oh, and on the Triathlon front, I totally got a new tri top for this season! It's green, which is extremely important because now I match my bike! 

Ciao, 

Q

2012-02-14 4:17 PM
in reply to: #4043790

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Sammeg - 2012-02-12 10:43 PM
quincyf - 2012-02-12 7:07 PM

Scary thing to me was his bike pacing. Showed alot of discipline laying  back and letting Lieto's ego get the better of him.

Ya, i think Macca's got a match in the mind-effing department...triathlon just got a LOT more interesting to watch!!!

2012-02-14 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4047593

User image

Veteran
quincyf - 2012-02-14 5:12 PM

Hi guys, Dave and I have been a bit absent for different reasons, but I wanted to check in and say hi! 'Cause usually I'm all tellin' you something or another, and I don't have to be bossy all the time ;-).

I am supposed to be starting my 30 week program for IMWI today and in truly inauspicious fashion am in the process of blowing off my first day. 

I'm feeling a bit under the weather and a thousand things that simply must be taken care of have popped up today (you know, life) so I am going with the flow and not worrying about it. 

I've also been worrying about substituting various activities for S/B/R and got some good advice on the forums to stop trying to do that and just go with a bike focus until I am cleared to run (which should be soon), so I am still kind of re-thinking how my plan is going to change. So I guess I'm starting off with a recovery week, hahaha!

Do any of you use any cycling programs, like spinervals? Wondering if anyone has any reviews or thoughts on those...I love riding my bike, so going to a bike intense program is actually kind of appealing, i just need to figure out some structure until I can get back on track...

In other news some of the hoops I have been jumping through the last few months have been regarding my 3 year old son...he has a pretty severe speech delay and recently aged out of Early Intervention and into the public school system. I am pretty sanguine about bureaucracy because of my military service and work at the airlines, but this process was terrifying even to me. Fortunately we finally got his IEP all worked out and we just found out he got placed in the preK at my daughter's elementary school. For any of you who aren't familiar with Chicago (or other huge cities, I am sure) the school systems are not like the 'burbs where everyone goes to their neighborhood school...you can have three kids and have all three of them going to different schools. Anyway, he's getting speech, occupational, and special ed along with this PreK placement and it's at her school which is, basically, a miracle. So I simply had to get all of our ducks in a row to ensure he gets enrolled and started right away because he hasn't had any therapy for about 6 weeks, and I feel like it is starting to 'show' a bit.

Do any of you have any 'unusual' children? My daughter is gifted and had a few quirks, but I was unprepared for dealing with this kid. He's super cool, and fun, but it is frustrating and strange to deal with him sometimes. He is starting to read, understand number concepts (not just counting), can ID by shape and name all 50 states, and many countries in Africa, Asia, and Europe (he shuns South America). Yet he doesn't really have any functional language (he speaks in almost purely echolalaic fashion) and it is hit or miss whether he understands me, let alone anyone else...he truly is all over the place and I just don't know what will become of him...just hoping his strengths outweigh his weaknesses and it evens out as he gets older...

Anyway, I know it is totally off topic, just thought I would share something completely unrelated to triathlon...if anyone has any thoughts or experience with an unusual child I would love to hear about it...

Oh, and on the Triathlon front, I totally got a new tri top for this season! It's green, which is extremely important because now I match my bike! 

Ciao, 

Q

Q I understand where you're coming from re your son, to a lesser degree, but my daughter had speech issues and everyone kept telling me she'd grow out of it, but by the end of 1st grade I was like 'come on, this is not right!', I got her retested and they finally agreed she could benefit from speech therapy, uh duh! At first I was worried that she'd be labeled or singled out as different or whatever, but the school was great, got an IEP for her, I met with the therapist, grilled her on her qualifications because, heck, why should I trust some random public school employee I didn't know Embarassed which in hindsight was probably insulting to her but hey, this was my kid and I was going a little 'mama bear' on her.  Obviously they've seend this before and she was great.  Turns out DD loved her, was the most fun part of her day, all she could talk about and now, in third grade they are removing her from the program as everything has righted itself out now.  Don't be afraid to advocate for your kids, your son sounds adorable and he'll get there with a little help, and all the struggles along the way will be what makes him, well him.   Good luck!

2012-02-15 8:52 AM
in reply to: #4043286

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
quincyf - 2012-02-12 3:05 PM

Ugh, I don't know, but not forever...keep riding!!!

You know, I was thinking about my response to you, and I wanted to modify it...a lot of "old timers" answer this question the same way I did, and I wanted to add a big caveat to it. There is no amount of sucking it up that can overcome a seat or fit issue that is ergonomic. We are all built differently and that extends to the boy/girl/butt parts and some seats literally rub some people the wrong way. What I use and love might disable the next person. 

SO, if you are experiencing localized sharp pain, repeatedly, you need to revisit your seat/fit. If your butt hurts like a mofo when you first sit on the bike, but after pedaling for a while the ache lessens or goes away, you are probably still building butt callouses...

Does this help? I just don't want you to suffer on a seat or fit that is never going to feel better...

2012-02-15 8:55 AM
in reply to: #4047912

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Ybeal - 2012-02-14 7:23 PM
quincyf - 2012-02-14 5:12 PM

Ciao, 

Q

Q I understand where you're coming from re your son, to a lesser degree, but my daughter had speech issues and everyone kept telling me she'd grow out of it, but by the end of 1st grade I was like 'come on, this is not right!', I got her retested and they finally agreed she could benefit from speech therapy, uh duh! At first I was worried that she'd be labeled or singled out as different or whatever, but the school was great, got an IEP for her, I met with the therapist, grilled her on her qualifications because, heck, why should I trust some random public school employee I didn't know Embarassed which in hindsight was probably insulting to her but hey, this was my kid and I was going a little 'mama bear' on her.  Obviously they've seend this before and she was great.  Turns out DD loved her, was the most fun part of her day, all she could talk about and now, in third grade they are removing her from the program as everything has righted itself out now.  Don't be afraid to advocate for your kids, your son sounds adorable and he'll get there with a little help, and all the struggles along the way will be what makes him, well him.   Good luck!

Yvonne, 

Thank you for sharing your family's story. It does help to know that the therapy works...sometimes you wonder what the point of it all is, especially if you're not seeing these big jumps right away...I know it's helping, but it is slow going. And I agree with the advocating for your kids...it's just that I question whether I am advocating correctly...you know, am I making things worse or should I just go with the flow...but like you, even though other people tell me differently, I know something needs to be done...

Again, thank you!

2012-02-15 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

OK, a while back, I said I was going to try to get a 'swim' expert to come and address the group because I don't feel that qualified, and I thought it might be fun for everyone to meet a BT'er. It's nice to know who is really worth listening to and who is a blowhard when you are reading threads about various topics, and I wanted to help you guys figure that out. Of course if you ever see me posting about anything, you know it's infallible, but who else out there is worth listening to???

SO, I remember that Shelley and Cheri both have OWS panic issues, and I believe Dave has issues with feeling anxious when trying to swim hard sets.

I would like for everyone to think of their burning swim issues, even if we sort of covered it here, and post them today so we can compile a list of question for our 'expert.' When she gives me the ok, I will post her name and an intro...we will probably hear from her in a day or two, or first thing next week depending on her schedule.

SO, what swim questions do you have??? How to prepare for OWS panic? How to overcome anxiety (drills, practice, what works?). WHAT ELSE??? This is your chance! Embarassment free, no scary Tri Talk Forumistas! 

It can be technical, global, whatever...I am going to ask some too!!!

2012-02-15 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4048629

For some reason I can't breathe to my left...

I'm working on it now, but perhaps I should try somethign like having a session where I ONLY breathe to my left...

Mark w.

2012-02-15 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Swimming - still trying to get faster at 300y distance.  What's the best way to improve time? Obviously form has a lot to do with it but if I was really going to work on improving time in the next 3 weeks, what should my gameplan be? I can breathe bilaterally, I don't do flip turns yet (although I think I can with some practice do them consistently) but to this point I've been trying to reach longer, keep my head down, and reduce drag. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44