BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2013-01-15 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4578875

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed
KWDreamun - 2013-01-15 4:20 AM

Brenda, thanks for checking in.  Please come back more often.  We miss you here!

Tracy, how is your foot progressing?  I know how you feel not running, just be patient.

Samantha, how is your elbow and hip doing?  Better?  I hope!

Dirk, how is your foot doing?  Are you able to get your runs in that you are happy with?

Tony, you've been quiet lately, how is your cold?  Has Luna worn you down...  lol

Matt, awesome leg w/o..did you get up early today to run?  lol  hey give me your phone no and I'll call you at 3:30 when I get up...lol

Jeff, is your shoulder 100%?

David, well I'm so new to this it is still like Christmas to me.  I just love training, not so much the racing since I always come in at the bop.  I just love getting out early and going for long runs, bike rides in the quiet early mornings.  Now I do have a hard time going to the pool    Really if I miss a day of training I feel like I have the flu.  I know we are supposed to have rest days..but I can't.  I'm also doing it for health reasons such as cholesterol etc.  When I started i could not swim 10 yards and i wanted my son who was 12 at the time to see that i wouldn't let not knowing how to do something stop me.  Really I could NOT swim, didn't own a bike and rarely ran.  I am an gym rat and still trying to break those ties but struggling with that.

Well, my son had his 1st day of baseball tryouts yesterday for the 9th grade highschool team.  One more day today and he'll find out tomorrow.

Sorry this post is so long.  I'll start trying to stay away a little and give ya'll a break with all my stupid questions and stuff.

Wow, Karl!  You make us sound like a bunch of amateurs with all these injuries! Wink

My foot is feeling slightly better.  I can swim with the pull buoy and no pushing off the wall with that foot.  I'm starting to test the kicking while swimming freestyle.  Yesterday, it didn't hurt.  I didn't want to push it, though.  I'll get on the bike trainer soon and then maybe the elliptical this evening.  (I got in trouble for being on the elliptical.  It doesn't hurt on the elliptical so I'm not sure if I should listen.)

I hope everyone else is healing up and getting some sleep.  Cheers!

2013-01-15 1:04 PM
in reply to: #4542598

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Waking up at 5am, running 6 miles, go to work for 5 hours and then eating pizza for lunch is not good! I am currently beating my head on my desk to just stay awake! Probably more to do with the greasy pizza than anything, tomorrow's weigh in may be a little dissappointing!
2013-01-15 1:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Sometimes you just NEED that piece of pizza (or in my case 5). One of the benefits of being a triathlete is that you know that you'll burn that cheese off in a day or two so no harm no foul right!
2013-01-15 1:32 PM

User image

Michigan

My two cents on training / motivation - sometimes (usually) I talk myself into it by some sort of rationalization - "I never regret taking a run" or "I really want to have a bigger green bar on my traininng log this week" or whatever.  And sometimes - I just take a day off.  I find it's usually my body wanting a break, and I feel much better the next day.

Today, I ate lunch at my desk and used my lunch hour to swim.  I had a huge breakthrough day, swimming a 400 free without stopping and 1200 total.  I know that's not much, but considering just a week ago I was doubting my ability to do 100 without stopping - it just felt really, really good.  I also was starting to feel like I found a rythm that I can settle in to, and just keep going and going.  I feel great about this workout.  (And, for the record, I was supposed to go at 6 am, and just couldn't get out of bed.  Turns out ... my body did well with the extra sleep)! 

2013-01-15 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4579680

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
kaehlin - 2013-01-15 2:32 PM

I had a huge breakthrough day, swimming a 400 free without stopping and 1200 total.  I know that's not much, but considering just a week ago I was doubting my ability to do 100 without stopping - it just felt really, really good.  I also was starting to feel like I found a rythm that I can settle in to, and just keep going and going.  I feel great about this workout.  (And, for the record, I was supposed to go at 6 am, and just couldn't get out of bed.  Turns out ... my body did well with the extra sleep)! 

Congrats!!!  and I'm envious!!!

2013-01-15 1:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
kaehlin - 2013-01-15 1:32 PM

My two cents on training / motivation - sometimes (usually) I talk myself into it by some sort of rationalization - "I never regret taking a run" or "I really want to have a bigger green bar on my traininng log this week" or whatever.  And sometimes - I just take a day off.  I find it's usually my body wanting a break, and I feel much better the next day.

Today, I ate lunch at my desk and used my lunch hour to swim.  I had a huge breakthrough day, swimming a 400 free without stopping and 1200 total.  I know that's not much, but considering just a week ago I was doubting my ability to do 100 without stopping - it just felt really, really good.  I also was starting to feel like I found a rythm that I can settle in to, and just keep going and going.  I feel great about this workout.  (And, for the record, I was supposed to go at 6 am, and just couldn't get out of bed.  Turns out ... my body did well with the extra sleep)! 

way to go! keep up the momentum in your next workout!

2013-01-15 2:12 PM
in reply to: #4578253

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

dmiller5 - 2013-01-14 4:32 PM Had to dig real deep to get the motivation to do my workout today. Usually I can't wait to get to my training, but just wasn't feeling it. Got me thinking about why I train. What are your guys' motivational tricks when you really don't want to go out and train?

Each fall I make plans to be faster in the Spring.  I put together a list of competitors that I was getting close to, but never actually beat.  I put together a 1 page listing of their names, USAT ranking score, their splits from the races we had in common compared to mine and I steal a photo of them from the race archive if one's available.

I then put my 'hit list' on my refrigerator and look at it every day.  It's a daily reminder of my goal for the year to come. 

User image

Elite
far northern CA
kaehlin - 2013-01-15 11:32 AM

Awesome swimming!  Congrats!  FWIW.....the first 300 yards or so of a long, continuous swim are usually the hardest.  As long as I can wrap my head around that fact, the rest of my long swim is ok.  It took me awhile to realize that fact.

in reply to: #4578523

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
DirkP - 2013-01-14 7:30 PM

mambos - 2013-01-14 8:06 PM
dmiller5 - 2013-01-14 5:32 PMHad to dig real deep to get the motivation to do my workout today. Usually I can't wait to get to my training, but just wasn't feeling it. Got me thinking about why I train. What are your guys' motivational tricks when you really don't want to go out and train?
and finally if all else fails I kid myself into believing that someday I will keep up with Dirk

And why am I the one that always gets this line?  Why not Jeff?  Oh wait, that's who I dream to be like someday.  Someday I'll be just fast enough to see his dust trail before it settles.

Well, your ranking is higher than mine...So my bullseye is on you.  That 'hit list' I just mentioned?  You're on it!

2013-01-15 2:14 PM
in reply to: #4579753

User image

Elite
far northern CA
JeffY - 2013-01-15 12:12 PM

dmiller5 - 2013-01-14 4:32 PM Had to dig real deep to get the motivation to do my workout today. Usually I can't wait to get to my training, but just wasn't feeling it. Got me thinking about why I train. What are your guys' motivational tricks when you really don't want to go out and train?

Each fall I make plans to be faster in the Spring.  I put together a list of competitors that I was getting close to, but never actually beat.  I put together a 1 page listing of their names, USAT ranking score, their splits from the races we had in common compared to mine and I steal a photo of them from the race archive if one's available.

I then put my 'hit list' on my refrigerator and look at it every day.  It's a daily reminder of my goal for the year to come. 

OMG!!!!  This is sooo funny!  A friend of mine does the same thing only she puts all of our names on a T-Shirt and crosses us out!  It's all in fun so no one takes her seriously (unless they're next on the list to be crossed out)!

2013-01-15 2:14 PM
in reply to: #4578607

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
jgerbodegrant - 2013-01-14 8:28 PM

The big thing that stands out in these videos for me is the amount of leg extension you get on each stride.  Man...that's way more than me and my legs are long as heck.  Off to stretch the hip flexors!

Tell me about it!  I'm also working on the hip flexors.  I think that's a limiter for my sprint speed.

2013-01-15 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4578875

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
KWDreamun - 2013-01-15 6:20 AM

Jeff, is your shoulder 100%?

Not quite.  But it's not affecting my tri training.  At swim practice yesterday there were some 25M sprints.  I did the first one at about 90% speed and realized it was hurting, so I backed off and stopped sprinting those.

It will be 3+ months yet before it's 100% in the weight room.

But outside of those 2 areas there is no other remnants of injury.  It's probably better now, in regard to daily movements, than it's been in many years.

Thanks for asking.

2013-01-15 3:50 PM
in reply to: #4579760

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
RunningYogini - 2013-01-15 3:14 PM
JeffY - 2013-01-15 12:12 PM

OMG!!!!  This is sooo funny!  A friend of mine does the same thing only she puts all of our names on a T-Shirt and crosses us out!  It's all in fun so no one takes her seriously (unless they're next on the list to be crossed out)!

LOL, this whole post is just too funny but I really like the hit list. The problem I have is that it would be so big it wouldn't fit on my refrigrator lol.

2013-01-15 3:52 PM
in reply to: #4579754

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
RunningYogini - 2013-01-15 3:12 PM
kaehlin - 2013-01-15 11:32 AM

Awesome swimming!  Congrats!  FWIW.....the first 300 yards or so of a long, continuous swim are usually the hardest.  As long as I can wrap my head around that fact, the rest of my long swim is ok.  It took me awhile to realize that fact.

x2 nice work Eric. Good to see you making big gains quickly. Just keep at it and you will keep getting better. I found I made big gains in the first two or three months.

2013-01-15 3:55 PM
in reply to: #4578844

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

bswcpa - 2013-01-15 6:06 AM Dirk told me to check in here, so I am. You already know this, but you are all blessed to have DIRK as one of your mentors for he's just so kindhearted and compassionate. Jeff, Jonathan and Warren are awesome guys, too. You 4 have created a wonderful group. I've actually been following most of your discussions because I learn so much from you all. Welcome to the newbie Asphalt Junkies! What a busy and interactive group you are! Just sending some encouragement your way today - keep up the GOOD WORK everyone! And as the oldest lifetime Asphalt Junkie I can say this....."Life is short, SMILE while you still have teeth".

Brenda glad to see you checking in with us you should drop in more often, we miss you. Hope everything is going well and glad to hear that you have been following all the action here.

2013-01-15 4:00 PM
in reply to: #4579633

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

mambos - 2013-01-15 2:04 PM Waking up at 5am, running 6 miles, go to work for 5 hours and then eating pizza for lunch is not good! I am currently beating my head on my desk to just stay awake! Probably more to do with the greasy pizza than anything, tomorrow's weigh in may be a little dissappointing!

Matt nice work getting up early and showing that commitment to the run not the pizza! I too have been getting up ealier than normal but not to run unfortunately but the puppy has been giving me a good workout on our walks leading me all over the place.

2013-01-15 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4578979

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
trigal38 - 2013-01-15 8:57 AM

I'm still trying to read and keep up but my time to post has really taken a hit with the new pup. Seems like every time I sit down to type he starts chewing on something he should not have or sniffing around the floor like he needs to go out. He requires a lot of attention right now but I am happy to report he slept all night in his kennel and kept it dry. I did not have to get up to let him out once - this is a big deal and I hope it will be the new normal around here! Now if we could just get him to stop mouthing the kids!

A few requests - think of my Dad today as he goes in to have a procedure to have his defibulator replaced. He was wore the batteries out. He says it is no big deal but anytime you have to be operated on is a big deal to me! Also my sister as she is now on bed rest while they try to keep the baby from coming too early. I don't know about you all but I would be a crazy basket case if I had to be on bed rest.

Gotta help Gracie get dressed for school but have a great day of training everyone!

Dina hope everything went well with your Dad and I hope your sister is doing alright as well. I can't imagine having to be on bed rest but hopefully everything turns out well for your sister. Your life is soundinig exactly like mine these days lol, I can totally relate to everything you've said it almost sounds like I could have written that.

2013-01-15 4:14 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Well not much to report on the training front other than I haven't been training at all. I do feel alot better today then I have in week which is good but I am sooooooo tired. I have been getting up earlier to get the puppy walked before I take my daugther to work. The puppy is doing well but I'm sure it is a big adjustment for her so we have just tried to be patient with her. I will admit she is totally wearing me out. I would rather do the worse workout Jorge has in his plan then chase down the dog all day while trying to work. I think the only two words I have been saying is Luna and no, they go hand in hand lol.

I will try to get a Jorge workout in tomorrow week 7 day 1, it is a 20 minute all out test so I did not want to do it without feeling good because I want to try and slay it and see what progress I made. Maybe I should get in on this weight loss thing you guys are doing. I surpassed my high school graduation weight of 168 lbs today coming in at 167! I haven't seen a number that low in like 25 years at least. Actually I just have not had any appetite while I was not feeling well so my calories are way down. Probably not a good thing but hoping to bounce back some tomorrow since I am feeling a lot better.

2013-01-15 4:15 PM
in reply to: #4579980

User image

Bronze member
strikyr - 2013-01-15 4:04 PM

I'm still trying to read and keep up but my time to post has really taken a hit with the new pup. Seems like every time I sit down to type he starts chewing on something he should not have or sniffing around the floor like he needs to go out. He requires a lot of attention right now but I am happy to report he slept all night in his kennel and kept it dry. I did not have to get up to let him out once - this is a big deal and I hope it will be the new normal around here! Now if we could just get him to stop mouthing the kids!

A few requests - think of my Dad today as he goes in to have a procedure to have his defibulator replaced. He was wore the batteries out. He says it is no big deal but anytime you have to be operated on is a big deal to me! Also my sister as she is now on bed rest while they try to keep the baby from coming too early. I don't know about you all but I would be a crazy basket case if I had to be on bed rest.

Gotta help Gracie get dressed for school but have a great day of training everyone!

Dina hope everything went well with your Dad and I hope your sister is doing alright as well. I can't imagine having to be on bed rest but hopefully everything turns out well for your sister. Your life is soundinig exactly like mine these days lol, I can totally relate to everything you've said it almost sounds like I could have written that.

And your pup is 8 months? Now I feel a little helpless!

2013-01-15 4:20 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
kaehlin - 2013-01-15 2:32 PM

Wow!  So awesome!  Pretty soon it'll be a mile and you'll say to yourself, "I never thought I'd get here"  I bet it only takes you another month or two.  Keep going!

2013-01-15 6:15 PM
in reply to: #4579761

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
JeffY - 2013-01-15 3:14 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2013-01-14 8:28 PM

The big thing that stands out in these videos for me is the amount of leg extension you get on each stride.  Man...that's way more than me and my legs are long as heck.  Off to stretch the hip flexors!

Tell me about it!  I'm also working on the hip flexors.  I think that's a limiter for my sprint speed.

Wouldn't doubt it.  In the words of my ART guy, "you're just putting the brakes on when you run with hip flexors that tight."

2013-01-15 7:29 PM
in reply to: #4580006

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
trigal38 - 2013-01-15 5:15 PM
strikyr - 2013-01-15 4:04 PM

And your pup is 8 months? Now I feel a little helpless!

Dina you shouldn't your pup is very young so more time consuming obviously. I think our girl is just needing to make the adjustment to being with us, it's only been 3 days. She is like my shadow right now but she started making progress with her house training her today which is great. I think the more comfortable she gets being with us the better she will be.

2013-01-15 8:07 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Great story. Let me know if the link opens.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=244020232398018

2013-01-16 4:32 AM
in reply to: #4579753

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
JeffY - 2013-01-15 3:12 PM

JeffY - 2013-01-15 3:12 PM

Well, your ranking is higher than mine...So my bullseye is on you.  That 'hit list' I just mentioned?  You're on it!

I literally nearly spit my breakfast our reading these this morning!!!  And, I had to control my laughter so I didn't wake up Lis.  That's funny! 

2013-01-16 4:40 AM
in reply to: #4579980

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
strikyr - 2013-01-15 5:04 PM

Keep us updated on both your dad and sister.  You know they are in my prayers.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119