BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-01-29 8:34 PM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED
Week two for me of adding in some jogging. This week was half a mile jogging broken up between walking laps. Kind of a boil the frog for walking to jogging since I am going to add one tenth of a mile each week which should put me on target for my June sprint. Though there will be no "sprinting".

2013-01-29 9:06 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

I worked today from 5am until about 30 minutes ago, with the exception of a 30 minute swim in place of lunch.  Yeah, Jason, winning the lottery would make it easier.  I don't know how many more 16+ hour work days I have left in me.  I seriously questioned whether work is really worth it today.

But seeing the great training you guys are doing, and how you are challenging yourselves, gives me some hope.

2013-01-30 6:50 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Blanda, Hope everything is going OK with your kids. My oldest sometimes struggles a bit and I can totally empathize with how much it takes out of you. Hang in there....

I had a surprisingly good day of training yesterday after sleeping all morning to try to catch up. Did 20 x 100 all less than 1:30 which is something that in the past would have been impossible for me to do. I think something is coming around with swimming. It may be that I am just getting better at flip turns but I guess I will take it.

Stuart, Great advice on resetting your swim if things aren't going quite right. I am going to give it a try next time I am struggling in the pool.

Rode the bike for 1:25 yesterday as well. Interestingly, the intervals got easier the further I got in to the ride so that was a positive. I wasn't doing anything near threshold work so that may be why.

Run on tap for today with 10 x 1/4 mile hard. It should be interesting. It has gotten very warm here in Michigan but it is pouring rain. Not ideal running conditions but I will take it.

I think I need to find a race of some kind to do. I need to get out there and see if all this training is doing anything. I feel 'stuck in the middle of winter' right now. A good, full effort 10K might be the ticket to shock me out of the winter doldrums. Internet search, here I come.
2013-01-30 7:56 AM
in reply to: #4600525

User image

Master
South Alabama

Chunga - 2013-01-29 8:34 PM Week two for me of adding in some jogging. This week was half a mile jogging broken up between walking laps. Kind of a boil the frog for walking to jogging since I am going to add one tenth of a mile each week which should put me on target for my June sprint. Though there will be no "sprinting".

Mary-you are doing it the right way. Just keep with it and you will get where you want to be.

Stuart-good advice on the swimming. Sometimes I get too wrapped up in hitting the intervals in my workout rather than shifting gears to try to fix a problem. I did try to back off yesterday toward the end of some hard intervals to see if I could "fix" the problem. By that point I think fatigue had taken over and I just didn't have it.

Michael-those are some tough hours. I always thought being a college professor would be a pretty good gig. Lots of spare time. Sounds like just the opposite.

Blanda-hang in there!

Racing-last year I did a triathlon about once a month on average from late March through mid-October. It was nice to have something close on the horizon to keep me motivated. Nothing like a race to energize motivation and training. I'm 2 months out from my first sprint and in a bit of the training blahs myself.

Looks like nasty weather here today. Thunderstorms and very windy. Scheduled for an easy run but may swap it with tomorrow's bike workout. I have a mix of dread and anticipation for tomorrow's bike workout. Longer and harder intervals than the workout I was unable to complete last week....but I have had a couple of "leg rest" days and I'm hoping that will help.  

2013-01-30 6:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Another abbreviated day due to work demands.  I only had 30 minutes to really dedicate today so I hit the pool.  Just a warm up, 10 x 200 and cool down.  I will do my core routine later and maybe see if I can get out for a power walk after dinner with my wife.  She has been down for a few days with a strained neck but walking is ok.

It's bad enough when I can't train like I want to but even worse when the weather was perfect today for a nice long ride.  Maybe tomorrow.

2013-01-30 6:39 PM

User image

Master
Looks like everyone has been really busy with work and training.

I'm becoming fast friends with the guy at the pool that is training for the Navy Seals. He's there twice a day. Which makes me look like a slacker. About every 100-200 yards he hops out of the pool and does about 25 pushups.

It is interesting watching the Seal Dude practicing his swim: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lUHudMN1TU

The new pool doesn't have lane ropes. I almost took out an aqua jogger while doing the backstroke during my cool down. I ended up 4 lanes over from my original lane. lol... It was actually kind of funny.

Edited by Catwoman 2013-01-30 6:48 PM

2013-01-30 7:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

I finished my Wednesday brick workout (30min trainer/15min run) earlier tonight. It was definitely the worst weather I've run in this year, but it was only 15 minutes, and I only run in my neighborhood. It's only two roads, so I pass my house every 5 minutes, or so. I felt good pretty much the whole time. 

Swim #5 for me tomorrow, which means a straight set of 2,500 meters; I need to psych myself up for that!

2013-01-30 7:32 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Are you adding fuel to yours?

Saw the above and it seems to be appropriate as we try to figure out why we are doing some of these workouts in January with races still way down the road.

I tackled my tough bike workout this afternoon and it was much better than my intervals over the weekend. Felt strong throughout and was actually able to push it toward the end of the last interval. Best bike workout in weeks. Feels good to have some progress. A couple of days away from the bike/run definitely had my legs feeling much fresher. So, today was a good day....no guarantees that will continue when I get in the pool tomorrow so I'll stick with today until then. 

2013-01-30 7:50 PM

User image

Master

Thanks for the kind words. When my kids are hurting I want to take them into my arms and fight with everybody. My daughter knows not to tell me "who" after I asked her what the car of someone who hurt her feelings looked like, lol! I was joking, but that's just the feeling I get when someone messes with my kids.

I teach my kids to stick up for themselves and to toughen up, which they do, for the most part, but still... Mama Bear will always rear her ugly no matter how tough my kids are.

Rene: I smacked my poor lane partner in his most treasured parts doing the back stroke. I felt horrible, but we laughed about it later. Much later.

I've only been doing strength stuff at home since Saturday. I'm going to power through and do something at the gym at lunch, and then run at home tonight when husband gets home. I gave myself till today feel all the feelings, then it's time to move forward no matter how things are. The lack of endorphins is making things worse.

Happy training!

2013-01-30 8:04 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Saw this posted on Slowtwitch. Good deal on Gu products https://guenergy.com/gu-sampler-promotion
2013-01-30 9:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question but how long and/or far do you need to train for any given event?  I have three sprints coming up.  The swims are all in the 900 yard range give or take.  The bike route is identical on all, just over 16 miles.  The run on the first two is a 5k and the last, 5 miles.

I know it would be great to train for an IM but time is not an unlimited resource and the abuse on the body is also a factor.  If I were advising someone who was not a strong swimmer on how far to get good (a relative term I know) at would be 2000 yards.  Yes they would get better swimming 3000 or 4000 but there are three sports they need to train at.  If they got good at 2000 yards a 900 yard competition would be easily doable even under adverse conditions.

I would tell them to spend the time they would be doing the extra 1000 yards on getting to the same level of expertise on the bike or run.

I ask because the last two days I have been time crunched and I know they will not be the last.  I also know if I ride for an extra hour that is time not running or swimming.  On Sunday I rode for 35 miles.  It was challenging and I will do that distance again.  But I am not sure that riding 50 miles would be more beneficial for a 16 mile race distance than spending that extra hour getting in another run. 

So where do I say 'enough is enough' given the race distances in front of me?  Any insight here or is this more a philosophical question?

2013-01-30 11:41 PM
in reply to: #4602214

User image

Calgary, AB
Stuartap - 2013-01-30 8:56 PM

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question but how long and/or far do you need to train for any given event?  

Not exactly the voice of experience here -- but I have been loosely targeting 150% of the distance for each discipline.  That is -- if I'm running a sprint with a 5K run segment, I should be able to run 7.5K standalone.

Hence for my upcoming Oly, I would love to be in a position where I can comfortably swim 2250m, bike 60km, run 15km (not together -- each on their own workout, on their own day).

Just my $0.02

Scott.

2013-01-31 7:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Stuartap - 2013-01-30 10:56 PM

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question but how long and/or far do you need to train for any given event?

So where do I say 'enough is enough' given the race distances in front of me?  Any insight here or is this more a philosophical question?

This question is why I haven't tried training for a race without a specific training plan. Depending on your race dates, you might want to consider looking at some of the plans here on BT. Since you've already started training, you could just hop into the plan a few weeks into it. 

2013-01-31 7:57 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question but how long and/or far do you need to train for any given event?  I have three sprints coming up.  The swims are all in the 900 yard range give or take.  The bike route is identical on all, just over 16 miles.  The run on the first two is a 5k and the last, 5 miles.

I know it would be great to train for an IM but time is not an unlimited resource and the abuse on the body is also a factor.  If I were advising someone who was not a strong swimmer on how far to get good (a relative term I know) at would be 2000 yards.  Yes they would get better swimming 3000 or 4000 but there are three sports they need to train at.  If they got good at 2000 yards a 900 yard competition would be easily doable even under adverse conditions.

I would tell them to spend the time they would be doing the extra 1000 yards on getting to the same level of expertise on the bike or run.

I ask because the last two days I have been time crunched and I know they will not be the last.  I also know if I ride for an extra hour that is time not running or swimming.  On Sunday I rode for 35 miles.  It was challenging and I will do that distance again.  But I am not sure that riding 50 miles would be more beneficial for a 16 mile race distance than spending that extra hour getting in another run. 

I don't know if I have the right answer for you but I will refer to something I have read in the past...

Somewhere on Slowtwitch it has been quoted that to 'complete' and do ok in an event that your should be doing at least 3 times the distance in your weekly training. So for your hypotheitcal sprint, at least 2700 yards/week swimming, 48 miles/week biking, and 9 miles/week running.

Unfortunately I think this advice falls apart at the ends of the spectrum. It is a bit too little for sprint preparation and it is too much for IM prep(12,600 yards, 336 miles, 78.6 miles per week!). It is probably a good rule of thumb for Olympic and HIM training.

I would guess that for your sprint training that 3-4 times the distances would be a good starting point to feel confident in you ability to compete. Of course, with your swim background you could probably almost cut out your swim training and do well in that discipline. With your run background you will probably struggle a little bit on the run with that kind of mileage. I would be exactly the opposite.

Hope that helps a little.
2013-01-31 9:39 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Well, I'm a philosopher... :-)

I agree with Jason.  The 3x rule is too little for sprints, and not practical (though might actually be close to ideal) for IM.  (If time were not an issue, ideal IM for me would probably be something like 16K/300/70.)

But it's very individual, as Jason also said.  You personally can get away with less swimming and since you need to work on the run, you'd want to make that a priority.  The marginal benefit of a 50 mile ride over a 35 mile ride for a sprint race is not very much, especially if it keeps you from running.  I do think that there is benefit in doing some long rides that take about as much time as the entire race will take, but 35 is fine for that.

2013-01-31 9:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Scott I am kind of on the same page as you right now.  I was thinking in terms of each discipline and 2x as a standalone.  Hence the 2000 yards for the swim.  But like you, I have little tri experience to base that on to know if it works for the bike or run.

Jamie I agree conceptually with the idea of having a training plan.  I looked at several and even put
one together for this season.  Where I am struggling with it is the point Jason makes. The swim routines are interesting but not particularly challenging and the run program is more than I can handle right now.

Jason I never thought of it in terms of weekly distance.  As you pointed out, to reach that on the swim is one workout a week. BTW – you are spot on about my current swim training.  Yesterday was my first (and last) day in the pool this month.  I will get a few more days in over the next few months but my focus is on the run.

As I was accessing my training for the month I think my needs are fairly specific and don’t really fit an off the shelf plan.

Swim – I am fine here. I will add one day a week in the 3000 – 4000 yards range and leave it at that.

Bike – I can ride hard for 25 miles now.  Obviously I can still ride a lot faster so I will continue to push myself.  My concern is a big hill towards the end of the course I will be riding.  I think I need to get better at hills more than longer distances.

Run – I stink at it. The plan this group helped me outline seems to be working.  I will stick with it but for quite a while it will be less than most training plans.

As always, thanks for the great insight.

2013-01-31 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4602703

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Experior - 2013-01-31 7:39 AM

But it's very individual, as Jason also said.  You personally can get away with less swimming and since you need to work on the run, you'd want to make that a priority.  The marginal benefit of a 50 mile ride over a 35 mile ride for a sprint race is not very much, especially if it keeps you from running.  I do think that there is benefit in doing some long rides that take about as much time as the entire race will take, but 35 is fine for that.

Thanks Michael.  This is where I landed as I was looking at it.  Having so little experience I just wanted to mke sure I wasn't way off base here.

Edited by Stuartap 2013-01-31 9:48 AM
2013-01-31 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4602703

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Experior - 2013-01-31 10:39 AM

If time were not an issue, ideal IM for me would probably be something like 16K/300/70.)

If I ever won that Lotto that I am always talking about it would be a dream to be able to train this much..... As it is, time is ALWAYS an issue.
2013-01-31 11:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Stuart, Macca (if you're not familiar, he's a fairly outspoken multi-IM World Championship winner) just covered what you're talking in his latest podcast. He calls it blending, and he offers a few scenarios. For instance, he starts out with a scenario of a strong runner, with little swimming/biking background. Then he presents a few other different scenarios. He and his coach basically said, for sprints, the focus should strongly favor what you're weakest at and de-emphasize what you're strong at, i.e. focus on what you're weakest at to get the biggest bang for the buck.

I can attest to this: look at Nate's swim results from last year. He's already swam more this month than he did all of last year, but because he had swimming background he was pretty much always in the top 10-20% of swims in his age group last year. He was consistently much faster than me, even though I logged 42 hours of swim training last year, and he logged 8. He's good at swimming, and I suck, so I need a lot more time in the pool than him.

Here's the link to the podcast, if you want to listen: Macca Raw!

Also, just to go with the training plan, BT does have Sprint plans that are run-focused or bike-focused. You could always modify these based on what you get out of them. 

2013-01-31 2:42 PM

User image

Master
I WILL pack my road bike and ride at lunch. As many miles as I can get in an hour and 15 minutes.
2013-01-31 6:19 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Well, my January is in the books. Lots of hard work on the bike and in the pool. Hoping that after another week off from running was enough for my calf issue to resolve. 2 months out from first race of 2013 season-a sprint

Monthly totals:
S:  52650.00 Yd - 16h 32m
B:  381.01 Mi - 17h 56m 41s
R:  59.18 Mi - 8h 35m 42s 

2013-01-31 6:50 PM
in reply to: #4603442

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Those are some crazy numbers, Randy! That's how you start a season...

Here are mine:

Bike:12h 14m 42s  - 112.81 Mi
Run:11h 47m 37s  - 71.02 Mi
Swim:10h 18m 47s  - 24200 M

I'm really pleased with those, but I'm happier with this:

January Training Calendar

That's a full month with no missed workouts! *pats self on back!* I hope everyone else had an equally great start to the year. Cool

2013-01-31 7:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Here are my numbers for the month ... best month ever .... 

January's totals:
Bike:20h 50m 20s  - 331.47 Mi
Run:4h 30m 31s  - 18.96 Mi
Swim:8h 31m 45s  - 23804.72 M

Edited by d3term1ned 2013-01-31 7:53 PM
2013-01-31 7:56 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Well, I guess I'm on some sort of road to returning to former levels of training.  Not sure I'll get there this year, but looking back at January, now, it isn't as depressing as I thought it would be.

Bike:7h 37m 12s  - 147 Mi
Run:9h 12m 31s  - 76.28 Mi
Swim:3h 50m  - 11060.19 Yd
Strength:10m

February will be better!

2013-01-31 8:47 PM
in reply to: #4602761

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
wannabefaster - 2013-01-31 10:59 AM
Experior - 2013-01-31 10:39 AM If time were not an issue, ideal IM for me would probably be something like 16K/300/70.)

If I ever won that Lotto that I am always talking about it would be a dream to be able to train this much..... As it is, time is ALWAYS an issue.

Yep.  And it isn't just time to train but time to recover.  If you're training that much, you're sleeping 9-10 hours or taking a nap mid-day (or both).

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66