of 41

2013-09-09 11:36 AM
in reply to: miche033

User image

Pearland,Tx
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open
Originally posted by miche033

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Maybe, Joe & Jill, we should start a 3/8ths ironman race with a 10k run instead of a half marathon! Laughing

[/QUOTE

im in

2013-09-09 11:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
@Rebecca

i did read your report only 2X . I want to read it again to tonight.
For starters your patience is awesome.You did exactly what you predicted except for the potty visits . Your T2 is awesome and well organized. Your bike time is just as planned. I dont know if going down to 15.5 mph from 16 mph will make a difference on the run. Anyway you did well and I am sure you will have more HIMS to come. I am really curious what are your plans after your HIM are you doing maintenance training? incase you want to do one early next year.

@Mike

There was a him this past weekend a week after my first Oly. I was so juiced up with my first Tri that I wanted to do the HIM and its only $150.00. George talked me out of it which is the right decision but i still feel regrets. I just learned in "Tri' ing" control is a virtue. I have another Oly in two weeks, this is an Oly i really need before my HIM on November. Another opportunity for another HIM a week after the said Oly I am already more than 6 months from when i started training so I am thinking i should be ready, but without proper taper and recovery this could be a recipe for injury. I believe now i should not underestimate a HIM.

@Joe

I tried the Skratch today for a Long run it did its job well no tummy problems , a little bit of pinching but im thinking it maybe from the Gu.

Thanks Alot for the advice guys/gals !!!!!!

lastly Rebecca your great!!! enjoy the rest of the year "IRONMOM"

Edited by strykergt 2013-09-09 12:12 PM
2013-09-09 9:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Race report posted!

And I think I'm not going to do another HIM any time soon. It's too long. Maybe the aquabike (no running!).

I do think I'm going to go sign up for a late season sprint now. I want to go out on a happy note this season.

YAY!! You did it!!! I had absolutely no doubt you would be fine and finish sub-eight. I loved your Race Report but I'll have to read it again to really absorb all you said.

We just got home a little while ago and we've just managed to settle down and relax. I had a good time this weekend but I'll write more on that later.

I want to "X2" Ransick's answer to your above statement. I definitely plan to do more HIM next year - maybe even two - but Olympic distance is a really fun/challenging/satisfying distance and it meets your 10km run distance requirement. All of the fun of a HIM but none of the "pain" and no less satisfying.

I do agree with your idea to finish your season with a late season Sprint. Maybe see what you think after you read my Race Report. You might go for an Oly instead.

Edited by wenceslasz 2013-09-09 9:27 PM
2013-09-10 8:18 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by strykergt @Rebecca I am really curious what are your plans after your HIM are you doing maintenance training? in case you want to do one early next year. 

I have no idea. I was thinking of shooting for 5 hrs training per week and adding weight training back in. I am waiting to see what my coach suggests.

enjoy the rest of the year "IRONMOM"

I love that. Laughing

2013-09-10 8:32 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Originally posted by wenceslasz I want to "X2" Ransick's answer to your above statement. I definitely plan to do more HIM next year - maybe even two - but Olympic distance is a really fun/challenging/satisfying distance and it meets your 10km run distance requirement. All of the fun of a HIM but none of the "pain" and no less satisfying. I do agree with your idea to finish your season with a late season Sprint. Maybe see what you think after you read my Race Report. You might go for an Oly instead.

Yeah, I think y'all are right. Oly is challenging enough to make me work, but not as all-consuming as a HIM. I just don't have enough time to train in real life for that.

Loved your RR, George. But I'm still going to do a sprint. Question is: Should I do a sprint that's an open water swim with a longer (16 miles) bike? Or one that's a short pool swim? Next week we are going on vacation, so I guess I'll have to plan how to train until whichever one I choose... Funny, the sprint distances sound SO SHORT to me now! Funny how your perspective changes.

2013-09-10 9:50 AM

User image

Originally posted by wenceslasz I want to "X2" Ransick's answer to your above statement. I definitely plan to do more HIM next year - maybe even two - but Olympic distance is a really fun/challenging/satisfying distance and it meets your 10km run distance requirement. All of the fun of a HIM but none of the "pain" and no less satisfying. I do agree with your idea to finish your season with a late season Sprint. Maybe see what you think after you read my Race Report. You might go for an Oly instead.

Yeah, I think y'all are right. Oly is challenging enough to make me work, but not as all-consuming as a HIM. I just don't have enough time to train in real life for that.

Loved your RR, George. But I'm still going to do a sprint. Question is: Should I do a sprint that's an open water swim with a longer (16 miles) bike? Or one that's a short pool swim? Next week we are going on vacation, so I guess I'll have to plan how to train until whichever one I choose... Funny, the sprint distances sound SO SHORT to me now! Funny how your perspective changes.

I know you asked George, but my name starts with G also, so I'm taking my liberties here!

For what it's worth from a newbie: The HIM was a challenge in so many ways. To keep you motivated and interested in the Sprint, how about you choose the one that grabs your interest the most and feels like a celebration of all your hard work earlier in the season. Maybe a nice race destination. Maybe a race where you could meet up with a friend. Maybe a race with a particularly challenging or interesting element (e.g., an ocean swim, a hilly bike segment, a picturesque run). You earned it, so celebrate!

Gary (A.K.A. George)

2013-09-10 6:03 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Don't underestimate how hard a sprint can be if you race it it redlined the whole time. The last sprint I did I went all out and was more sore after that race than an Oly or HIM primarily because I can't maintain zone 4/5 for an Oly and it's not practical to maintain that heart rate for a HIM. I didn't take any nutrition and only drank to thirst on the bike. Skipped water on the run and just concentrated on running as fast as I could. It hurt... I was so spent I couldn't even think about eating for hours afterward.
2013-09-10 10:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

My immediate reaction to your OWS vs Pool swim Tri was to say OWS. But in fairness it really depends on your comfort levels and the lakes in your area. Our local lakes here are really phenomenal for swimming (crystal clear, sandy bottom & tastes good) and our local pool is brand new state of the art so not too bad an option either, but I prefer the lake for as long as I can. It all depends on the location of your prospective Sprint. If it has a great lake for the swim then go for OW. If the lake is gross then go for the pool.

Right now I would think you are already well prepared for a Sprint and won't need to do a lot of training for it. I barely trained at all for my Oly and yet I managed my best run to date. However, I think Ransick is right about Sprints being potentially very demanding.
2013-09-11 10:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny

Well, after weighing all the options, I finally signed up for the open water/long bike sprint, in 2.5 weeks. Smile

This one: http://www.setupevents.com/?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=232... love biking in that area. The lake is nice. The water will be low 70s. Could borrow a wetsuit maybe... or just be chilly... So. Intending to go hard the whole time, like Ransick said. Smile

2013-09-12 12:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I had a quick peak at the Sprint course and it looks pretty nice. I couldn't tell much about the bike ride but the 26km distance makes for a nice challenge. I don't know why but I kind of like unconventional distance races like this one. The run course looked like fun as well. Our local lake was 20.5degC/70F and it was pretty nice. Of all the swimmers I saw out there it was about 50/50 for those with or without wetsuits. Last year I raced in two Sprints, one with wetsuits and one without and I didn't notice a big difference in transition for removing the wetsuit versus not wearing one.

All summer I've been training and racing with a friend and now that we're finished we're feeling kind of strange without anything to train for so today when we met a female friend for a swim at our local lake Margaret told him she signed up for the Boulder City Olympic Tri in October and now he wants me to go with him and sign up for this race as well. I think it is called "Pumpkinman"?

It looks like a nice race and I'm weighing the pro and con of doing it. Did someone else here mention it recently?

EDIT: Not sure what happened here with all the blue. I never hit any unusual buttons.

Edited by wenceslasz 2013-09-12 12:02 AM
2013-09-12 8:33 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Guys/Gals

Need help with a few logistics:

1.) Do you know where can i buy cheap CO2 cartridges? because if im bored i practice changing my rear tire and i use them all up I have yet to PR sub 5 mins

2.) Skratch labs is perfect no complaints this week , will try it out on brickwork tom, but Oh My this bag is expensive a 20 dollar bag lasted me only a week? know a place where i can buy this cheap

2013-09-12 9:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by strykergt Guys/Gals Need help with a few logistics: 1.) Do you know where can i buy cheap CO2 cartridges? because if im bored i practice changing my rear tire and i use them all up I have yet to PR sub 5 mins 2.) Skratch labs is perfect no complaints this week , will try it out on brickwork tom, but Oh My this bag is expensive a 20 dollar bag lasted me only a week? know a place where i can buy this cheap
If you're looking to save money you're in the wrong sport, buddy.

I don't go through that many co2 cartridges so I just pick them up at whatever lbs I happen to be closest to after I use one.  I'm sure you could buy them in bulk on Amazon or something.  Or I bet if you bought a box at your lbs instead of one at a time they'd probably cut you a deal if you ask them to.

Regarding skratch, yeah the stuff is not cheap.  I get a deal on it through my work, but even with the deal it's not much cheaper than I've been able to find anywhere else (on Amazon it's $19-$20 per one lb bag from what I recall).  And yeah, it seemed like when I was training for the olympic earlier this year a bag would last me 2 months, but at the height of my HIM training I was going through a bag a week easy.  All I can say once you've established it works well for you you don't *have* to use it every time you work out, you can use something cheaper for most of you workouts and then use the skratch for your long rides and bricks or something.  I don't go through it very quickly during oly training because I generally just stick to water for workouts up to 1 or 1.5 hours long.  Of course during HIM training every workout is longer than that...

2013-09-12 10:44 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Pearland,Tx
Joe

or anyone who reads this.

any suggestions about recovery period for a bike focus sprint tri: 500m/20mi/5km ?

I have another Oly a week after want to make sure i dont mess up before Oly.

2013-09-12 11:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by strykergt Joe or anyone who reads this. any suggestions about recovery period for a bike focus sprint tri: 500m/20mi/5km ? I have another Oly a week after want to make sure i dont mess up before Oly.
I mean that depends on how hard you push it.  If you sprint all out, your muscles will need a few days.  But in general I like Mike's rule of thumb: 1 day of recovery per hour raced.  500m/20mi/5k should be around 2 hours, yes?  So I'd take two days off and then very light work for a few days and then one or two days rest and then oly.  But don't expect a PR on your oly, man.
2013-09-13 11:07 AM

User image

Hey Joe, how's it going? I know you have a very busy life especially adding triathlon into it. I just wanted to say that I miss your monthly totals of stats. They were a great motivator and I was wondering if you would post August and/or September totals. If not then that's cool. Happy training!
2013-09-13 12:30 PM
in reply to: TRIal_of_miles

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by TRIal_of_miles

Hey Joe, how's it going? I know you have a very busy life especially adding triathlon into it. I just wanted to say that I miss your monthly totals of stats. They were a great motivator and I was wondering if you would post August and/or September totals. If not then that's cool. Happy training!

2013-09-13 12:40 PM
in reply to: TRIal_of_miles

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Originally posted by TRIal_of_miles Hey Joe, how's it going? I know you have a very busy life especially adding triathlon into it. I just wanted to say that I miss your monthly totals of stats. They were a great motivator and I was wondering if you would post August and/or September totals. If not then that's cool. Happy training!
Sorry man I know I have been slacking.  I was telling someone else here the other day, there was a lot of family and other stuff that I put off till after my race, so I've been playing catch up.  Lots of other stuff I won't get into, but also I'll say since my race my motivation has been very low, and when I'm not working out I stop thinking about tri and when I stop thinking about tri I stop checking this forum, unless I get emails that somebody posted.

Also, and not that I don't encourage the more the merrier, but I lost track of membership with some of the new people and it had already started to get somewhat prohibitive to my ability to do the stats in any sort of reasonable amount of time.  That isn't to say I don't like more Hashers and Mashers.  Anyways, I will get to it, I promise.  I'll try for this weekend.

2013-09-13 9:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Originally posted by TRIal_of_miles Hey Joe, how's it going? I know you have a very busy life especially adding triathlon into it. I just wanted to say that I miss your monthly totals of stats. They were a great motivator and I was wondering if you would post August and/or September totals. If not then that's cool. Happy training!
Sorry man I know I have been slacking.  I was telling someone else here the other day, there was a lot of family and other stuff that I put off till after my race, so I've been playing catch up.  Lots of other stuff I won't get into, but also I'll say since my race my motivation has been very low, and when I'm not working out I stop thinking about tri and when I stop thinking about tri I stop checking this forum, unless I get emails that somebody posted.

Also, and not that I don't encourage the more the merrier, but I lost track of membership with some of the new people and it had already started to get somewhat prohibitive to my ability to do the stats in any sort of reasonable amount of time.  That isn't to say I don't like more Hashers and Mashers.  Anyways, I will get to it, I promise.  I'll try for this weekend.

I know what you mean Joe. I haven't been anywhere near as consistent with my workouts since my HIM. At the Oly on Sunday I really didn't do any serious training and went into it worrying it might be an epic fail so I was really pleased that my residual conditioning saw me through.

All:
Also, since Sunday, I've been reflecting on my progress from March when I could barely swim/bike or run for more than an hour and to do two workouts in the same day was inconceivable.

Back in May I ran the "Bare Bones Duathlon" and it was a 5K run/33Km bike/5K run and it was really hard. I finished but only just barely held it together. I couldn't even ride my bike 1Km to home after the race. I was completely done and even my friend was very nearly as done as I was (Duathlons are really hard!!). Still, I kept working out. I knew I could swim 2K comfortably but my running was dubious at best. I was barely able to run more than 5K and 2.5hrs on the bike was really pushing it (I even bonked badly on the bike in April).

Fast forward to this last Sunday and realizing what I have more recently been routinely doing and it is honestly just amazing to me. My swimming is getting faster. My bike strength is slowly improving and I can conceive of running almost any distance and I can see myself continuing to improve my speed as well.

This was my second season and I completed 5 main events:

Bare Bones Duathlon; Axel Merckx Granfondo; Lake Stevens HIM; Challenge Penticton bike relay and Cultus Lake Olympic. I was BOP in all of them but I sure had a lot of fun and I'm sure looking forward to next year. If I can improve as much again next year it just boggles my mind.

So, everyone else - How has this season shaped up for you? Pretty happy with your results so far? Got much more left to do? Any regrets - things you wish you had done?

2013-09-13 9:50 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Hi George

been a while, just read your Oly report everything worked out as planned. I am still trying to master nutrition. I will field test it this Sunday's sprint. I know Duathlon is a biggie in Canada. I am about to do a crazy duathlon this October will help me prepare for my Nov. Him the legs are as follows:

R15Km +T1+R3.2Km+T2+B16km +T3+R3.2Km

its very tricky i know in Du's you stay steady pace on first Run , but the long run at first its then followed by the bike then short run its crazy. I am just thinking redline the whole thing and ill take whatever I land into.

Let me know watcha think

2013-09-14 9:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Originally posted by strykergt

Hi George

been a while, just read your Oly report everything worked out as planned. I am still trying to master nutrition. I will field test it this Sunday's sprint. I know Duathlon is a biggie in Canada. I am about to do a crazy duathlon this October will help me prepare for my Nov. Him the legs are as follows:

its very tricky i know in Du's you stay steady pace on first Run , but the long run at first its then followed by the bike then short run its crazy. I am just thinking redline the whole thing and ill take whatever I land into.

Let me know watcha think

Hi Carl, Your Duathlon reads quite different with 4 legs to it. If I read it right it's a "near 10mile run/2mile run/10mile bike/2mile run". That reads pretty intense. My Du was only 6.2miles of running total and it almost killed me. Du's deserve respect they're really hard and yours sounds a lot harder than mine.

If you're a strong runner you might be able to redline it as you suggest but that could lead you to injuring yourself. I think you're right when you say the best strategy is to maintain a steady pace for your running especially at the first leg. You could redline the bike portion because it is relatively minor compared to the running. I expect you'll pretty much "redline" yourself even if you do maintain a steady pace but if you abandon a steady pace you might wind up bonking badly and ending with a DNF.

In my Du I made the mistake of thinking it was just going to be an easy event, "No big deal". Don't make the mistake I made and have fun.

2013-09-14 10:50 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Hi George

Let me know watcha think

Hi Carl, Your Duathlon reads quite different with 4 legs to it. If I read it right it's a "near 10mile run/2mile run/10mile bike/2mile run". That reads pretty intense. My Du was only 6.2miles of running total and it almost killed me. Du's deserve respect they're really hard and yours sounds a lot harder than mine.

If you're a strong runner you might be able to redline it as you suggest but that could lead you to injuring yourself. I think you're right when you say the best strategy is to maintain a steady pace for your running especially at the first leg. You could redline the bike portion because it is relatively minor compared to the running. I expect you'll pretty much "redline" yourself even if you do maintain a steady pace but if you abandon a steady pace you might wind up bonking badly and ending with a DNF.

In my Du I made the mistake of thinking it was just going to be an easy event, "No big deal". Don't make the mistake I made and have fun.

George

Appreciate the reply. Its really intense the guys ill be running up against are running 7-8 min/mile on short runs and all of them can bike easy at 20+ mph.This is the link to the event to give you a better idea:
http://www.onurmark.net/#!dark-horse-duathlon/c93y

Let me know watcha think.

cheers

2013-09-15 9:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Carl - looking at the website made the Du a lot more clear. I think pushing it for me would mean 10 minute miles at best and at best a 37minute bike. With 4 minutes in T1/T2, I'd finish in about 1:21:00 and that would be close to redlining it for me. I would think you know yourself and what you can do so redlining it may not be too risky for you. You're also a lot younger than me so you will recover more quickly than I would. But, do bear in mind that this is a minor event in your training so don't take unnecessary risks. A serious injury now could limit the rest of your season and specifically your HIM (by the way which HIM is it?).

Just recently I read someone's race report and they really liked their "onurmark" race. Apparently, they put on a pretty good event.

Yesterday, I went for a 60km/37.3mi bike ride and found it really hard after my Oly last Sunday. I wound up in a lot of discomfort and at 59.5km I had to get off the bike and accept a fortuitous ride home from my wife. Since, this ride should have been an easy one to finish I have to assume I pushed myself too hard at Challenge and then again at Cultus Lake and was not really fully recovered yet.
2013-09-15 9:42 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Carl - looking at the website made the Du a lot more clear. I think pushing it for me would mean 10 minute miles at best and at best a 37minute bike. With 4 minutes in T1/T2, I'd finish in about 1:21:00 and that would be close to redlining it for me. I would think you know yourself and what you can do so redlining it may not be too risky for you. You're also a lot younger than me so you will recover more quickly than I would. But, do bear in mind that this is a minor event in your training so don't take unnecessary risks. A serious injury now could limit the rest of your season and specifically your HIM (by the way which HIM is it?).

Just recently I read someone's race report and they really liked their "onurmark" race. Apparently, they put on a pretty good event.

Yesterday, I went for a 60km/37.3mi bike ride and found it really hard after my Oly last Sunday. I wound up in a lot of discomfort and at 59.5km I had to get off the bike and accept a fortuitous ride home from my wife. Since, this ride should have been an easy one to finish I have to assume I pushed myself too hard at Challenge and then again at Cultus Lake and was not really fully recovered yet.

I hear you pushing it at 10 min/mi for the first long run is overkill for me .I am heeding to ya'all guys advice doing weekly races is too much.I may make some changes with my race schedule . I just did a bike focus sprint(500yds/21.5mi/3.5mi this weekend and i pretty much tried to redline it(report to follow). You guys are right it took a toll on me and i feel sore. I dont think ill be able to do the Oly next week.

cheers

2013-09-17 6:40 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
2013-09-17 9:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Sprint Race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Good race report Carl. Your bike leg was excellent and your run was pretty awesome as well. By all means make sure you practice swimming more. Through the winter I swim 3# one hour sessions per week.

About sleeping before a race a fairly experienced fellow told me it is most important to get a good night sleep on Thursday and Friday before your race and then on Saturday night you just get as best a sleep as you can. So far I've actually managed to sleep quite well the night before a race although coincidentally - both times I was sleeping in a tent.

Keep having fun.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41