BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 49

2014-05-07 9:33 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2

Originally posted by ponderingfox

It uses light through the skin to analyze the blood flow.  DC Rainmaker is much better at explaining it.  But I'm trying to figure out the issue because I dislike chest straps.  The wrist or arm is much easier to deal with, imo.

Thanks for explaining.  I would think that that would be a lot more comfortable and just as effective (provided you can get it to cooperate).

2014-05-07 9:57 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by JJ- Can't focus on work Still eating like a lunatic Start tearing up during my workouts (WTF??) Can't sleep cause I keep hearing Mike Reilly's voice in my head I've watched every motivational youtube video there is (and that was just this morning) Aches and Pains I know don't exist are showing up everywhere TAPER SUCKS

From what I heard, yup, you are right where you should be!    Hang in there, Jonathan, just a week and a few more days...

Nah. He's probably dying. At the very least, a broken foot.

2014-05-08 6:24 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by JJ- Can't focus on work Still eating like a lunatic Start tearing up during my workouts (WTF??) Can't sleep cause I keep hearing Mike Reilly's voice in my head I've watched every motivational youtube video there is (and that was just this morning) Aches and Pains I know don't exist are showing up everywhere TAPER SUCKS

From what I heard, yup, you are right where you should be!    Hang in there, Jonathan, just a week and a few more days...

I know this is referring to something but I just can't remember
2014-05-08 7:08 AM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by JJ-

Memory loss is the first sign
2014-05-08 8:03 AM

HELP!

I just joined this site... now I get thread updates from seems like everyone .. when I try to delete these it says I'm not signed into any threads.  :-/

2014-05-08 8:15 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by JJ-

Memory loss is the first sign

I put my car keys on the fridge so I would remember to take a container of milk to the office......15 minutes later I couldn't find my car keys. Looked everywhere for almost a half hour. Even blamed my kids for taking them. Then when I opened the fridge to get the milk that I didn't want to forget I found the keys that I forgot I put there so I wouldn't forget.

2014-05-08 8:40 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I thought it would be like my last surgery with a little out patient and like 2 days off of running. Damn

But yeah, you are right. And honestly if I am going to do it, I want to do it right and now is actually a really good time (in terms of running) because I don't have anything huge over the summer. If I behave myself I am sure I can run easy before the end of the 6 but I have to be perfect in that first week or so.

Apparently I have the option to have traveling nurses come to my house to pack my wound? Huh, I am such a rookie. 

I'm going to execute this like a race "plan."  

It sounds like it is going to be pretty painful though. I mean, it's been painful all this time I've been living with it so I am sure I can handle it. I guess I should stop reading horror stories on the internet though. 

I'm digging the race plan approach to the surgery and recovery, too.  As frustrating as it will surely be at times, more than likely the 6 weeks will pass quickly and you'll be back at your passion, running.  On a brighter note, the new season of OITNB should be released during your recuperation  

2014-05-08 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Let's see - so much happening (as usual) here.

Salty, as others have said, you're smart and strong - so you've got this.  There will be times you might feel like you don't, and that's OK.  Just remember who you are!  You've got this.

As for tapers, they're never actually groovy.    Sounds about right to me, too.  You only have a little more time to endure… then it's GAME ON!  Enjoy!

My kids make the Irish woman look like she has a savage tan.  No, really.  The red-haired, blue eyed, Irish side of my family is the "swarthy" part…  

That dude swimming is too funny.  I love the other person's reaction right at the end!  He does make surprisingly good time for sod-swimming, though.

My knee is serviceable.  I've been able to add some distance and kept a high frequency, but have avoided any intensity.  Good thing, as my hamstring just won't stop nagging me.  Perhaps slow will be good for me.  While in the larger scheme of things, having one's race plans evaporate is not a big deal (there will, hopefully, be another race season after this one!), I admit it has taken some of the steam out of all my training.  Turns out I'm happy enough just to be able to get out and run some (as opposed to being very disciplined about "the plan," which is what I've been doing for months).

I *know* that I should look at this as an opportunity to do more with my swim and bike, but I've honestly just not been able to muster the excitement to bury myself for a race that's likely 12-14 months away.  It was hard enough pushing in December for a June race!  So, I've been continuing to work out for fun (and have been flying a lot more - about which I'm always excited!).  Funny how much more time there is in the week when not putting in 15 hours.  

I do think about just getting to the line for the races for which I've registered and seeing what happens.  Still not sure if that's a good or truly terrible idea!

OK, that's the end of my monster post (and of my !).  Carry on...

Matt

2014-05-08 9:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by DesertDave

HELP!

I just joined this site... now I get thread updates from seems like everyone .. when I try to delete these it says I'm not signed into any threads.  :-/

Try going to the bottom of the threads for which you are receiving emails and click on the "toggle email notification" link. Try turning them off there and see if that helps.  And welcome to BT!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by rrrunner 2014-05-08 9:33 AM
2014-05-08 9:37 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

It uses light through the skin to analyze the blood flow.  DC Rainmaker is much better at explaining it.  But I'm trying to figure out the issue because I dislike chest straps.  The wrist or arm is much easier to deal with, imo.

Thanks for explaining.  I would think that that would be a lot more comfortable and just as effective (provided you can get it to cooperate).

The app I use as an alarm/sleep quality recorder has a setting that when I turn off the alarm each morning I place my finger over the camera/light and it checks my resting heart rate. Pretty cool.

2014-05-08 9:48 AM

User image

Denver, CO

On the subject of OITNB, I heard about this yesterday:

At the White House Correspondents' Dinner on Saturday, Obama said, “I’m feeling sorry for the Speaker of the House as well.  The House Republicans actually give John Boehner a harder time than they give me. I guess orange really is the new black.”

2014-05-08 9:56 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

My knee is serviceable.  I've been able to add some distance and kept a high frequency, but have avoided any intensity.  Good thing, as my hamstring just won't stop nagging me.  Perhaps slow will be good for me.  While in the larger scheme of things, having one's race plans evaporate is not a big deal (there will, hopefully, be another race season after this one!), I admit it has taken some of the steam out of all my training.  Turns out I'm happy enough just to be able to get out and run some (as opposed to being very disciplined about "the plan," which is what I've been doing for months).

I *know* that I should look at this as an opportunity to do more with my swim and bike, but I've honestly just not been able to muster the excitement to bury myself for a race that's likely 12-14 months away.  It was hard enough pushing in December for a June race!  So, I've been continuing to work out for fun (and have been flying a lot more - about which I'm always excited!).  Funny how much more time there is in the week when not putting in 15 hours.  

Matt, it's so great that you're getting to do things you enjoy during your recovery.  Not being able to do the races you've worked for sucks but getting to take some time to smell the flowers can be part of recovery too.  Keep up the good attitude and have fun!!

2014-05-08 10:05 AM

User image

Denver, CO

For all you barefoot runners and riders, here's a shout-out to National No Socks Day:  http://www.cakewrecks.com/

2014-05-08 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

The app I use as an alarm/sleep quality recorder has a setting that when I turn off the alarm each morning I place my finger over the camera/light and it checks my resting heart rate. Pretty cool.

Is that with a Samsung phone?  I think I've seen something about that.

2014-05-08 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

My first race is coming up this weekend (after having to pull out of four of them)!  Super looking forward to it!  Went out and rode the course a bit yesterday.  Cruised along in construction traffic, really.  Then got a bit of a brick run in afterward.  Quads are still quite sore from all the running I did for ultimate frisbee this last weekend.

I also have a 5k coming up next week.  These are baseline races to see how things are going.

2014-05-08 11:09 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Is that with a Samsung phone?  I think I've seen something about that.

Iphone, called Sleep Cycle

2014-05-08 11:44 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Dudes have anted up in the Guys of BT thread. Somewhat sad that the ladies are not reciprocating.

I'm just sayin'...

2014-05-08 12:00 PM

User image

Denver, CO

My first race is coming up this weekend (after having to pull out of four of them)!  Super looking forward to it!  Went out and rode the course a bit yesterday.  Cruised along in construction traffic, really.  Then got a bit of a brick run in afterward.  Quads are still quite sore from all the running I did for ultimate frisbee this last weekend.

I also have a 5k coming up next week.  These are baseline races to see how things are going.

Great!!  I'm betting all the ultimate is going to give you extra strength to power through.  Can't wait to hear how the races go.  Hope the race isn't going to be through road construction; that would really suck.

I'm planning to do a 5K in Delaware on the 18th (not on my race calendar yet).  I'll be out there visiting family and spending some time at the beach.  I'm really curious how I do at near sea level.  Yanti, I'm packing running/swimming gear and having learned from you, am firmly reminding myself to remember underwear.

2014-05-08 1:05 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Great!!  I'm betting all the ultimate is going to give you extra strength to power through.  Can't wait to hear how the races go.  Hope the race isn't going to be through road construction; that would really suck.

I'm planning to do a 5K in Delaware on the 18th (not on my race calendar yet).  I'll be out there visiting family and spending some time at the beach.  I'm really curious how I do at near sea level.  Yanti, I'm packing running/swimming gear and having learned from you, am firmly reminding myself to remember underwear.

Snerksnort!

And something to sleep in. If all I've forgotten is underwear and something to sleep in, I'm in great shape. I often forget things like ... clothes. Clothes that can reasonably be worn outside of sports activity. Like to a dinner party or a business meeting. I have shown up to both in sports clothes.

Have a wonderful time next week!

2014-05-08 1:20 PM

User image

Seattle

I thought it would be like my last surgery with a little out patient and like 2 days off of running. Damn

But yeah, you are right. And honestly if I am going to do it, I want to do it right and now is actually a really good time (in terms of running) because I don't have anything huge over the summer. If I behave myself I am sure I can run easy before the end of the 6 but I have to be perfect in that first week or so.

Apparently I have the option to have traveling nurses come to my house to pack my wound? Huh, I am such a rookie. 

It sounds like it is going to be pretty painful though. I mean, it's been painful all this time I've been living with it so I am sure I can handle it. I guess I should stop reading horror stories on the internet though. 

I'm digging the race plan approach to the surgery and recovery, too.  As frustrating as it will surely be at times, more than likely the 6 weeks will pass quickly and you'll be back at your passion, running.  On a brighter note, the new season of OITNB should be released during your recuperation  

Thanks all, and good callout on the OITNB Melanie!!! 

I think the theme of this spring is for me to learn to deal with hurdles that all athletes inevitably have in their careers. I am just getting them all done at once, since I am efficient like that.

2014-05-08 1:25 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Yay!  After having to put aside 4 races undoubtably you will be ready and raring to go!

2014-05-08 1:27 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Is your race the one in Rehoboth?

2014-05-08 1:33 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Getting my tri bike (Rico) refit this weekend.  I've finally realized that denying the issue won't fix the issue.  My fit is decent although too, uh, how shall I say, precise.  The fitter has my aero bars kinda back far and if I'm not on my seat juuuust right, my knees hit my elbows.  Plus, when I stand to climb my lower thighs hit the aero bars.  So yes, the week before a race I'm messing with my fit (again).  I'd have acted sooner if my schedule would've allowed, plus, it wasn't super evident while on the trainer, and the standing up issue was completely unknown until I got outside.  The time I wasted in between my first outside ride and now was me being in denial, thinking somehow it would magically resolve itself.  Self-delusion at its finest!

2014-05-08 1:44 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Snerksnort!

And something to sleep in. If all I've forgotten is underwear and something to sleep in, I'm in great shape. I often forget things like ... clothes. Clothes that can reasonably be worn outside of sports activity. Like to a dinner party or a business meeting. I have shown up to both in sports clothes.

Have a wonderful time next week!

Fortunately no business meetings or dinner parties planned and athletic wear is always appropriate attire in a beach town.  The place I'll be for the first several days has outlet malls so I should be set if I forgot something.  There's no sales tax either so I always come home with more clothes than I left with.  Unfortunately, I'm not leaving until Friday and have a boatload of ASAP work to do between now and then.  I'm envisioning packing at 11:30 p.m. Thursday.  Hopefully I won't leave my brain at home.

2014-05-08 1:49 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, CO

Thanks all, and good callout on the OITNB Melanie!!! 

I think the theme of this spring is for me to learn to deal with hurdles that all athletes inevitably have in their careers. I am just getting them all done at once, since I am efficient like that.

Wait, you're switching from distance to hurdles?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 CLOSED Thread 2 Rss Feed  

of 49

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 64691 Posts: 2563

2014-04-03 7:43 AM IndoIronYanti

New Year 2014 Mentor Program is OPEN! Instructions Inside

Started by Ron
Views: 2977 Posts: 20

2014-03-26 2:43 PM simoneocean

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28169 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

2014 Rookies - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16

Started by Jason N
Views: 16394 Posts: 376

2014-04-28 2:54 PM Danmartinids

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100368 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.