BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2009-05-20 8:04 PM
in reply to: #2069346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL
Hi Manatees!

Just catching up a little bit.

TR - I'm glad you made it through. Being happy with who you are is a gift!

Amy & Stacie - Good job on your races! It's not normally an issue for me but I hate being cold.

Beth - Sorry to hear the ankle continues to be a problem. I hope the Doc is able to help you out.

My wife's training is coming along. Her swimming is coming along and she is making headway on the bike and run. It's fun to watch as she has breakthroughs. My sister called yesterday and told my wife she ran 1-1/2 miles for the first time. She's been struggling to get into shape for a little while so this is a big deal for her.

I've got a couple questions for those of you who are working out in the morning before work. How much earlier do you get up before you start your workout? How long do you work out?

I like the idea of getting something done in the morning but I've got to be showered and on the road by 6:30 in order to get to work on time. I'm just not sure if I can make it work or not.

Art

2009-05-21 6:02 AM
in reply to: #2164577

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-05-21 6:06 AM
in reply to: #2164686

2009-05-21 7:41 AM
in reply to: #2165088

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
wgraves7582 - 2009-05-21 7:02 AM

lastcall2003 - 2009-05-20 7:53 PM Hey there Manatees

a little update from me....

as Lynn mentioned, i'm dealing with an injury  

i've been sort of struggling with it to be honest

it happened on the best run i've ever had - it was a 5 mile run, i was on mile 4 and bam - all the sudden i felt pain in my left ankle - even with the last mile being kind of gimpy, i still beat my best time on that run by 5 min

i'm not sure what i did, i'ts not broken - got the x-rays tonight, i have an appt with the ortho tomorrow

i've been swimming a ton, which of course is my love - but i was really learning to love to run

it's so strange to me to drive by people that are running and wish it was me

Well you heal yourself up TinkerBethie

Has anyone tested your achilles by chance?  I doubt that is it but I was just curious.

this will sound a little strange...

but my chiropractor tested it for me, he doesn't think it's the achillies - hopefully i'll find out today for sure

2009-05-21 8:02 AM

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Art

i would agree with Bill that once you get in the habit, morning workouts are great.  I was a morning workout person for over 2 years and let myself get out of the habit.

it's been tough to try and get it back - i've been working toward that direction lately.

it makes it a lot easier, if you can get ready at the gym and go to work from there

if i'm working out in the morning, i always make sure i have all my stuff put together the night before (that way i can sleep as long as possible )

how much earlier you will need to get up depends a bit on where you're working out, how long the training will take, etc.  but like Bill I allow and 1 1/2 to 2 hours

good luck!

2009-05-21 8:03 AM

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
reid15 - 2009-05-20 9:04 PM Hi Manatees! Just catching up a little bit. TR - I'm glad you made it through. Being happy with who you are is a gift! Amy & Stacie - Good job on your races! It's not normally an issue for me but I hate being cold. Beth - Sorry to hear the ankle continues to be a problem. I hope the Doc is able to help you out. My wife's training is coming along. Her swimming is coming along and she is making headway on the bike and run. It's fun to watch as she has breakthroughs. My sister called yesterday and told my wife she ran 1-1/2 miles for the first time. She's been struggling to get into shape for a little while so this is a big deal for her. I've got a couple questions for those of you who are working out in the morning before work. How much earlier do you get up before you start your workout? How long do you work out? I like the idea of getting something done in the morning but I've got to be showered and on the road by 6:30 in order to get to work on time. I'm just not sure if I can make it work or not. Art

That's awesome about your wife and your sister!!! 

2009-05-21 9:51 AM

Veteran
Wyoming
Art, nice to hear from you and how great that you and your wife are able to share this passion for triathlons.    I can't give any advice on morning workouts because I am one who prefers late afternoon and evening.   I will be reading the posts with interest though because I realized the other day that I need to make the switch to mornings because I know when I have been doing the morning swims (the only time the pool is open for lap swim) I feel like a slug and I definitely don't have my nutritional needs figured out.   Since the Tri starts at 7am, I think I better work on this morning stuff so my body gets used to it.

A Bike Question:   yesterday on my ride, I noticed we were coming to a pretty good hill so I decided to start preparing by switching to the small front ring....but when I did, my chain fell off!    I am still so new to this bike/gear thing.   Can anyone tell me why this happened and what I should/shouldn't do in the future to keep it from happening again?   I haven't switched the front ring all that often since this was actually only my 4th outside ride.   My bike has 105s if that matters.
2009-05-21 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2165642

2009-05-21 10:33 AM

Master
Victoria, BC
Subject: Happy Thursday!
Hey all - I've been reading and keeping up with what is going on with all of you, but haven't really had anything to say. Doesn't mean I don't wish you all speed, health, and happiness!

Tinkerbethie (cute, Bill) I'm sorry to hear you are injured. I know how horrible it is to be sidelined especially if you don't know what's going on. (( hugs ))
Everyone - awesome job training/racing. ;-)

And as for me - I re-start my training plan on Monday ... last week was a write-off, this week is seemingly a write-off ... but I'm volunteering at a tri on Sunday and that should kick my butt into gear.

Monday my half-mary training plan starts too ... eek. I am definately focussing on the run this summer ... but triathlon is still my first love so I will fit in my swimmys and bikes somewhere. Bikes, I can almost guarantee not as much as I should, but hey .. as long as I make the cut-off time on race day I'm happy. ;-)

Today my new desk comes, so excited. I can finally get all my crap up off the floor and back organized on shelves. I don't like living in a disorganized messy house, it seems to trickle disorganization and mess into the rest of my life, too. So this morning my plan is to clean the house, get myself all set up with the space for happiness, success, and love in my life.

Did anyone watch Criminal Minds last night?!? Did the ending not leave your heart in your stomach!?!
And - did you hear there's a NEW NCIS this fall - NCIS LA? ... no Gibbs, but most likely still watchable. I'm sure they'll have some other eye-candy for me.
Without A Trace got cancelled - but that's ok cuz it totally jumped the shark anyway.
Yes - tv is my guilty pleasure.
2009-05-21 4:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Beth/Bill/Sharie - Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to try getting up at 5:00 next week and see how it goes. If I can get a short swim or a couple of miles running I think it would be worthwhile.

Art

2009-05-21 4:33 PM
in reply to: #2165788

Subject: RE: Happy Thursday!
Did anyone watch Criminal Minds last night?!? Did the ending not leave your heart in your stomach!?!

I KNOW!!!!!! It was such a great/weird episode I was lulled into thinking it was over and them BAM!

I wish I could fast forward to the next season!

2009-05-21 5:41 PM
in reply to: #2166837

Master
Victoria, BC
LaurenCO - 2009-05-21 2:33 PM

I KNOW!!!!!! It was such a great/weird episode I was lulled into thinking it was over and them BAM!

At least it wasn't Reid .. I'm totally in tv-love with him. lol. Hodge has bugged me lately, such a gloomy gus - of course I don't wish anyone dead, but if someone had to go I'm glad it was him!
2009-05-21 6:53 PM
in reply to: #2166922

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
SpiritFire - 2009-05-21 6:41 PM

At least it wasn't Reid .. I'm totally in tv-love with him. lol. Hodge has bugged me lately, such a gloomy gus - of course I don't wish anyone dead, but if someone had to go I'm glad it was him!

I'm not sure what happened but I'm glad it wasn't Reid too.

2009-05-21 7:05 PM
in reply to: #2167011

Master
Victoria, BC
reid15 - 2009-05-21 4:53 PM

SpiritFire - 2009-05-21 6:41 PM

I'm not sure what happened but I'm glad it wasn't Reid too.

WAIT - are you THAT Reid!?! hahahah ...
2009-05-21 7:57 PM

Master
Victoria, BC
Umm .. did you guys know Yanti is moving to Indonesia? I just read that in the CoJ forum.
2009-05-21 9:15 PM

Veteran
Wyoming
I knew cuz I've been reading her blog/log here at BT.   She...well maybe I shouldn't talk about her in the 3rd person...YOU Yanti seem like an awesome person who I would love to meet IRL!  

I don't watch much TV, but am a movie lover.  

2009-05-22 8:23 AM

Champion

SHARIE.  im a movie lover too.  seen any good ones?   i saw MILK AND SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE.  just incredible, BOTH of them.

as for little ol me.

i did 60 mins of swim and then swam 64 mins, CONTINUOUSLY.

thats my longest continuous swim TO DATE.

the whole time, i kept chkin in with how i was feeling, and the longer i swam the better i felt.

honestly i could have kept going and going and going.

good thing i wasnt in OW.  LOL.  it would have taken me DAYS to get back to shore.  LOL.  LOL.

this was after a grueling 60 mins spin class thanks to my Iron WO man spin instructor extraordinaire.  she's kicks are hineys something FIERCE.  god bless her.

the whole time i was swimming, i was thinking if i could make it through that spin session, to come into the pool and swim continuously for 64 mins, and feel really good, maybe a 1/2 IM is in my reach.

shhhhh.  dont tell anyone yet. 

stacieb

2009-05-22 8:27 AM
in reply to: #2167097

Melon Presser
SpiritFire - 2009-05-21 5:57 PM Umm .. did you guys know Yanti is moving to Indonesia? I just read that in the CoJ forum.

You know, I really should stop lurking on my own thread and post something :p

Thank you all for keeping the thread lively and helping each other. You are SUCH AWESOME MANATEES. Yes, I've been crazy busy trying to pack up and get all my affairs in order for the Big Move. Who knew, even for someone who leads a simple life, how much STUFF there was to do???

TR--your post from the other day touched me very deeply. I can only imagine many of the obstacles you have faced and overcome with immense strength and dignity. You are among the finest of human beings and it's been a great privilege for me to get to know you here. I'm glad you got through the time with your parents!

In some small way there is a glimmer of recognition as I grew up in a madhouse where there was abuse of every kind. At the same time, our family was in the public eye so everything had to LOOK perfect on the outside. It was, to say the least, an extremely tense way to grow up. I remain very close to my siblings as they alone truly understand what it was like. Going "home" again is a strange and somewhat sad journey as my parents are old and frail now, and in my mother's case, she has Alzheimer's so is unable to remember much. But insofar as I have made peace with them (for my own sake, really, for the grudges were eating me alive and punishing me far past the years I lived there), vestiges of trouble and grief always remain.

Sharie--your poem ... again, even I am bereft of words to describe its passion, beauty and truth--the same things I see so richly alive in you. Thank you for sharing it with the group! All of us are somehow inspired and bettered by it.

In other news, unfortunately, IM Kentucky is off the table for me. I had considered coming back and doing it (and I may have to come back at least to L.A. briefly in a few months anyway), but even now in the States I just do not have the time to commit to the training, and it's highly doubtful I'd be able to continue that level in Indonesia. Plus, it's a huge extra expense which I just can't put forth. 

On the bright side, it's a load lifted off my shoulders, and now I'm just happy squeezing in some training whenever I can. There is what I think is the world's best tri in Bali (a different island than I'll be on, but still in Indonesia) in late June and I'll be doing that. There are other wonderful tris throughout Southeast Asia during the year, so I will definitely still be immersed in training and racing as much as possible! I am hoping for IM Malaysia in Feb. 2010, not so far away! In fact that was the IM I was originally training for as my first, but became very ill during the training. 

2009-05-22 8:29 AM
in reply to: #2165226

Champion
lastcall2003 - 2009-05-21 7:41 AM
wgraves7582 - 2009-05-21 7:02 AM

lastcall2003 - 2009-05-20 7:53 PM Hey there Manatees

a little update from me....

as Lynn mentioned, i'm dealing with an injury  

i've been sort of struggling with it to be honest

it happened on the best run i've ever had - it was a 5 mile run, i was on mile 4 and bam - all the sudden i felt pain in my left ankle - even with the last mile being kind of gimpy, i still beat my best time on that run by 5 min

i'm not sure what i did, i'ts not broken - got the x-rays tonight, i have an appt with the ortho tomorrow

i've been swimming a ton, which of course is my love - but i was really learning to love to run

it's so strange to me to drive by people that are running and wish it was me

Well you heal yourself up TinkerBethie

Has anyone tested your achilles by chance?  I doubt that is it but I was just curious.

this will sound a little strange...

but my chiropractor tested it for me, he doesn't think it's the achillies - hopefully i'll find out today for sure

doesnt sound strange to me at all Beth.

my chiropractor has assessed me and read over the MRI report.

he's essentially RULED OUT MORTONS NEUROMA.

he thinks my foot pain has to do w fallen arches in my feet, and structural imbalances which are being remedied w the adjustments im getting and the new orthotics.

the orthotics that i got from the orthopod didnt even address the REAL issue w my feet ie the fallen arches.  turns out he never read the MRI report either, that ruled out Mortons Neuroma from the outset....

no significant findings, except that i had BURSITIS inbetween the 3rd and 4th metarsals, which goes to the pain i was having.

and here this guy was recommending $300+ orthotics, injections and possible surgery for a condition i didnt even have.  [sorry.  venting.]

ah well.  water under the bridge.

its better to be on a good path, than not on the path at all.

keep plugging away, and seeking answers.

theres an solution to every problem, i believe.  sometimes theres detours and dead ends along the way....

hang in. 

the road to recovery can be a arduous one [i know.  been on it myself since Oct]....but SO worth the time spent to come back better, stronger, faster, and most importantly, more HEALTH-FULL.

stacieb

Edited by skrtrnr 2009-05-22 8:33 AM
2009-05-22 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2167693

Champion
TriAya - 2009-05-22 8:27 AM
SpiritFire - 2009-05-21 5:57 PM Umm .. did you guys know Yanti is moving to Indonesia? I just read that in the CoJ forum.

You know, I really should stop lurking on my own thread and post something :p

Thank you all for keeping the thread lively and helping each other. You are SUCH AWESOME MANATEES. Yes, I've been crazy busy trying to pack up and get all my affairs in order for the Big Move. Who knew, even for someone who leads a simple life, how much STUFF there was to do???

TR--your post from the other day touched me very deeply. I can only imagine many of the obstacles you have faced and overcome with immense strength and dignity. You are among the finest of human beings and it's been a great privilege for me to get to know you here. I'm glad you got through the time with your parents!

In some small way there is a glimmer of recognition as I grew up in a madhouse where there was abuse of every kind. At the same time, our family was in the public eye so everything had to LOOK perfect on the outside. It was, to say the least, an extremely tense way to grow up. I remain very close to my siblings as they alone truly understand what it was like. Going "home" again is a strange and somewhat sad journey as my parents are old and frail now, and in my mother's case, she has Alzheimer's so is unable to remember much. But insofar as I have made peace with them (for my own sake, really, for the grudges were eating me alive and punishing me far past the years I lived there), vestiges of trouble and grief always remain.

Sharie--your poem ... again, even I am bereft of words to describe its passion, beauty and truth--the same things I see so richly alive in you. Thank you for sharing it with the group! All of us are somehow inspired and bettered by it.

In other news, unfortunately, IM Kentucky is off the table for me. I had considered coming back and doing it (and I may have to come back at least to L.A. briefly in a few months anyway), but even now in the States I just do not have the time to commit to the training, and it's highly doubtful I'd be able to continue that level in Indonesia. Plus, it's a huge extra expense which I just can't put forth. 

On the bright side, it's a load lifted off my shoulders, and now I'm just happy squeezing in some training whenever I can. There is what I think is the world's best tri in Bali (a different island than I'll be on, but still in Indonesia) in late June and I'll be doing that. There are other wonderful tris throughout Southeast Asia during the year, so I will definitely still be immersed in training and racing as much as possible! I am hoping for IM Malaysia in Feb. 2010, not so far away! In fact that was the IM I was originally training for as my first, but became very ill during the training. 

WE *HEART* YOU YANTI.

may the remaining days of pulling everything together go smoothly.

may your travel be safe back home

stacieb
2009-05-22 9:15 AM

Veteran
Wyoming
Off to State Track to watch ds in the 100m!!   Praying for fleet feet!   He has to be in the top 8 to make it to the finals.

Yanti - thanks for stopping by during this very busy time.   Will you be able to access the internet and check in from time to time when you get home?    Glad to hear you will still be training and TRI-ing!     Thanks for the kudos on the poem.  

YIKES....gotta go!   Still have a 2hr drive!

2009-05-22 12:46 PM

2009-05-22 6:53 PM

Extreme Veteran
Eastern Pennsylvania
Hi Manatees!

Picked up my race packet this afternoon for my sprint. Got a light blue swim cap. Weather looks good. My goal is just to finish, hopefully that won't be a problem.

Have a great weekend!

Art
2009-05-22 7:44 PM
in reply to: #2169036

Melon Presser
reid15 - 2009-05-22 4:53 PM Hi Manatees! Picked up my race packet this afternoon for my sprint. Got a light blue swim cap. Weather looks good. My goal is just to finish, hopefully that won't be a problem. Have a great weekend! Art

SUPER GOOD LUCK ART!!!

The Manatees are with you and cheering you on!
2009-05-22 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2167851

Master
Vista, CA

ranchrunner - 2009-05-22 7:15 AM Off to State Track to watch ds in the 100m!!   Praying for fleet feet!   He has to be in the top 8 to make it to the finals.

Yanti - thanks for stopping by during this very busy time.   Will you be able to access the internet and check in from time to time when you get home?    Glad to hear you will still be training and TRI-ing!     Thanks for the kudos on the poem.  

YIKES....gotta go!   Still have a 2hr drive!

good luck to DS!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's Newest Manatees - FULL Rss Feed  

of 59