BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-04-09 4:15 PM
in reply to: #2773278

User image

Expert
WA
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.
billsorg - 2010-04-06 6:05 PM

Last year, on our annual golf trip, one of the guys that over the years used to give me the harshest ribbing, made some joke about my weight (basically calling me fat boy, or something like that).  It's funny, because he's probably put on 50-70 lbs. since college and now he borders on obese... and HE'S making jokes about ME?!?!  BTW... That golf trip was the weekend following the completion of my first half IM.  Everyone laughed at him and said, "you're calling HIM fat???"

Thanks everyone who responded to my Why do you run? vid.  Some very inspiring responses!!

2010-04-10 12:31 AM
in reply to: #2778893

User image

Elite

barelfly - 2010-04-08 10:44 PM

Matt,

could the shoulder cramps be from not staying relaxed on the bike and really putting a death grip or being tense in shoulder blade area? I catch myself shrugging my shoulders alot on the bike, which causes some tension. This really happens when I'm on the aero bars.

it may/may not be what is causing, but just an idea. remember to try and relax your shoulders.

In addition to a deathgrip, a few things tend to happen when we run off the bike. We tend to run with our arms further away from the body, sort of like ape-running? People often bend at the waist more than normal instead of focusing on form they let their form slide some in an effort to keep pace up.

It could be that you need more time in the saddle in your newish aero position. In addition to a potential deathgrip, you neck could be strained, causing extra tension in the shoulders which might radiate down.

When I say we I mean the general triathlon population.

2010-04-10 12:35 AM
in reply to: #2779545

User image

Elite

mdfahy - 2010-04-09 9:35 AM
billsorg - 2010-04-09 7:31 AM Matt,
Do you feel like you're getting proper hydration and nutrition.  Hydration is an obvious limiter to performance and can cause all kinds of pains, cramps, dizziness, nautiousness, etc.  But I find that when I haven't had enough nutrition, I can get some bad cramps.  Maybe a hammer jel or two toward the end of the bike, prior to the run might help.

I am getting better at hydration on the bike (better = I can reach down and grab a drink now), but may not be doing it early enough or regularly throughout the workout.  I try to eat a powerbar before I leave and have a sports drink with me, which I am now finishing and needed to add another bottle for longer rides.  The last long ride I took a gel and drank at the end of my ride and then immediately ran, I'm thinking I need to do it before the end of the bike so it has some time to digest before the run. Thanks.

Follow on questions: I just started trying GU gels, do they ever give you cramps?  Do you have to take a GU with water or can I take a GU and still drink my gatorade?

Try to drink every 15min, get just a good gulp. I have never had a cramp because of a gel. When I use them I take them with water, not a carb drink. At that point you can start to overdo your stomach. I forget the exact numbers right now, but we can only take in so many calories an hour while exercising. Its somewhere between 250-350 calories.

2010-04-10 12:38 AM
in reply to: #2779622

User image

Elite

ray6foot7 - 2010-04-09 9:55 AM

I hope everyone has a great weekend of racing.  I'll find out how ya'll did on the 19th.

My wife and I are heading to Cozumel tomorrow and will be back on Sun the 18th.  It's a scuba diving trip so aerobic exercise is a no-no. Frown  I hope I feel refreshed when I get back, and not deconditioned.  We shall see.  I will be back for 3 days.  During those three days I plan on really getting some good training in, because then it's off the New Orleans for Jazz Fest.  I will try to get some exercise in, but it doesn't seem promising.  We usually wake up early, grab breakfast, head to the bar and wait for all the people we are meeting, listen to bands until 6:00ish, then go eat dinner.  We usually aren't back to our rooms until 9 or 10, then we are off to see more live music at the local clubs.  When I get back home, I will have 21 weeks until my IM.  I think/hope this is good timing and I will start will a decent base to handle IM training. 

I wish success and fun to everyone who is racing the next three weekends.

Total scuba idiot here, why can you not get any aerobic training in? Enjoy the trip, 21 weeks will be perfect timing. The trip should be a nice break, help you get some good recovery in and do a mental reset.

2010-04-10 12:39 AM
in reply to: #2779574

User image

Elite

mdfahy - 2010-04-09 9:44 AM
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-04-09 8:10 AM
wbayek - 2010-04-08 12:09 AM I'm fighting a head cold, and I realized I got sick the week of my sprint last fall as well.  I've been sick like twice in the past 2 years - the week of my two races!  Do any of you folks have this issue?

I haven't had this issue with tris - but it used to happen all the time at work. Whenever I had a really big project, once the deadline was in sight, I would get sick...almost like your body is relaxing a bit with the end in sight. Sorry to hear this. Take care of yourself and I hope the race goes well.

Matt - X2 on the hydration/nutrition. Take a look at how much you are ingesting while on the bike. For me, it's a great time to get re-hydrated (and fed) because I can drink without spilling all over myself (usually) and take my time to eat a bit.

Best of luck to all racing this weekend...and for those of us who are not - have a great training weekend. I'm doing the bike/run loop of a sprint being held at the end of May with my friend on Saturday. It's her first tri and she's a bit nervous, so I told her I would come down (about 80 miles south of here) and do the course with her. Sunday is a long run (2:15)...I got a hand-held bottle for water - so I'm going to do it outside!

That is a good suggestion, I think I need to be more precise in my hydration and nutrition needs for the longer bricks, I have a long 2.5 hr bike + 20 min run brick tomorrow that I will practice all this at as another benchmark.

I just got the hand-held bottle (Ultimate Direction FastDraw Plusthat Aaron recommended and tried it this week on my long run.  It actually was easier to run with than I expected, but I did have to stop at the gas station and refill it with more gatorade since I was on a 2 hour run, but it worked very good for that route.

Glad you like it, its nice to get that car or house key out of the liner in your running shorts as well.

2010-04-10 12:41 AM
in reply to: #2780604

User image

Elite

bfoyle - 2010-04-09 2:14 PM Hope you're feeling better, Warren, plenty of fluids and vitamin c is what I do when I feel it coming on.

Ray, have a great trip. I, too, am interested in IMCOZ someday so let us know how it is down there.

Matt, how's your run form? your hands look really low to me in the profile pic so shoulder cramping might be a combination of that and bike position...just a thought of course, I'm no expert and I didn't stay in a holiday inn express.

Last year was supposed to have been nice. Its one of the few races that does NOT allow wetsuits just as a warning.

2010-04-10 12:42 AM
in reply to: #2781114

User image

Elite

RunRene - 2010-04-09 5:11 PM Wow!  Mucho races this weekend!!!! 

Warren
Good luck on that half!  Your going to kill it!  Make sure not to go out too fast!...I ALWAYS have to slow myself down in the beginning.  Get that pace, keep it and finish strong!

Bob,
A 5K on Saturday and an Olympic Tri on Sunday!! Wow!  I wish we had weather that permitted that!  Impressive you are doing both in one weekend! Good luck and rock them bro!!

Aaron,
Good luck on that 10K!! Those Brooks Ghost #2's are gonna be flying!  Knock it out of the park!! Laughing 

I am getting pumped!!!  I wanna race now too!!  Cry  LOL!!!

I will actually be wearing my Cascadia's from Brooks. Its a trail race. I was reading that people call it the longest 10k you will do. No idea what that means, but I plan on do well. I run on trails so often and its localish I can not imagine it being much harder.

2010-04-10 1:13 AM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
don't be too impressed with my 5k...I'm running it with my 12 year old. My 15 yo is running the 10k with his aunt and grandpa and my 9 and 5 yo's are running the 1k so more of a family thing before we jet down to my race. Should be fun except for the getting 4 kids up at 6 am thing.
2010-04-10 8:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
I am happy to report back that my long brick went extremely well today.  Weather was perfect so no excessive sweating in the heat.  No cramps, no handlebar palsy, long and fast (for me) on both the bike and run and I felt great after the workout.  I believe the nutrition issue was the key.  I don't think I was taking it in early enough and not on a regular enough basis.  I took 2 bottles of endurance gatorade and I used one GU gel at one hour into bike and one gel 15 minutes into run.  I stopped drinking about 15 before end of bike and only took a sip at transition.  I felt well hydrated at that point.  I took the gel on the bike with endurance gatorade and didn't have any drink on the run with the gel and I didn't have any problems. 

So do you take one bottle of water and one bottle of sports drink on long rides and take the GUs with water and drink sports drink otherwise, or do you just do either gels or sports drink?

Thanks for all of the feedback, it helps hearing your perspectives compared to what I read and experience first hand.  I am getting really excited and feel ready for the Olympic next weekend.  The big new thing next week for me will be an OWS, wetsuit and longer distance race.  I decided to rent a wetsuit, only cost $30 at local tri store with local tri club membership and currently only need it for this race.  It will give me a chance to see how it feels, I think I rented a 2XU full.
2010-04-10 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2780604

User image

Veteran
Richmond
bfoyle - 2010-04-09 1:14 PM Hope you're feeling better, Warren, plenty of fluids and vitamin c is what I do when I feel it coming on.

Ray, have a great trip. I, too, am interested in IMCOZ someday so let us know how it is down there.

Matt, how's your run form? your hands look really low to me in the profile pic so shoulder cramping might be a combination of that and bike position...just a thought of course, I'm no expert and I didn't stay in a holiday inn express.

X2 on the fluids and taking some vitamin c when I feel it coming on.  I'll take a multi vitamin and a vitamin c on an irregular basis as well.

I'm not sure about my run pic, it was taken at some point in my marathon race last fall.  I do know that on the bike after and hour and especially after 2 hrs I start to loose form to fatigue and I just try to be aware of it and work on that as well as my overall bike position.
2010-04-11 2:25 PM

User image

NH
I'll write a race report later. Between the hills, the heat, the wind, and the runs, today was brutal for me. I had to stop twice for number 2. All my goals quickly evaporated, so I just gutted it out. I learned a ton and I'm ready to evaluate and adjust.

2010-04-11 7:21 PM
in reply to: #2782803

User image

Elite

mdfahy - 2010-04-10 9:58 PM I am happy to report back that my long brick went extremely well today.  Weather was perfect so no excessive sweating in the heat.  No cramps, no handlebar palsy, long and fast (for me) on both the bike and run and I felt great after the workout.  I believe the nutrition issue was the key.  I don't think I was taking it in early enough and not on a regular enough basis.  I took 2 bottles of endurance gatorade and I used one GU gel at one hour into bike and one gel 15 minutes into run.  I stopped drinking about 15 before end of bike and only took a sip at transition.  I felt well hydrated at that point.  I took the gel on the bike with endurance gatorade and didn't have any drink on the run with the gel and I didn't have any problems. 

So do you take one bottle of water and one bottle of sports drink on long rides and take the GUs with water and drink sports drink otherwise, or do you just do either gels or sports drink?

Thanks for all of the feedback, it helps hearing your perspectives compared to what I read and experience first hand.  I am getting really excited and feel ready for the Olympic next weekend.  The big new thing next week for me will be an OWS, wetsuit and longer distance race.  I decided to rent a wetsuit, only cost $30 at local tri store with local tri club membership and currently only need it for this race.  It will give me a chance to see how it feels, I think I rented a 2XU full.

On long rides I typically only take a bottle of gatorade and a bottle of water. Rare to take gels during training. I used to, and really not sure why I stopped. Wetsuit rental was a good call.

2010-04-11 7:24 PM
in reply to: #2783516

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-04-11 3:25 PM I'll write a race report later. Between the hills, the heat, the wind, and the runs, today was brutal for me. I had to stop twice for number 2. All my goals quickly evaporated, so I just gutted it out. I learned a ton and I'm ready to evaluate and adjust.

Bathroom stops are terrible. Time to work on prerace nutrition.

Mine was quite a bit harder than I thought. Forced to walk and climb up rocks. Literally straight up. I will do a race report as well. I was 20th overall and 6th for Men under 30. Lost two places when I had to retie a show, and another 2 places when I went off course. Happy with how I did.

2010-04-12 7:17 AM
in reply to: #2783971

User image

Veteran
Richmond
aarondavidson - 2010-04-11 7:24 PM

wbayek - 2010-04-11 3:25 PM I'll write a race report later. Between the hills, the heat, the wind, and the runs, today was brutal for me. I had to stop twice for number 2. All my goals quickly evaporated, so I just gutted it out. I learned a ton and I'm ready to evaluate and adjust.

Mine was quite a bit harder than I thought. Forced to walk and climb up rocks. Literally straight up. I will do a race report as well. I was 20th overall and 6th for Men under 30. Lost two places when I had to retie a show, and another 2 places when I went off course. Happy with how I did.

Great race Aaron, 6th place is awesome! "Forced to walk and climb up rocks." That sounds like it must have been an interesting race.
2010-04-12 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
I didn't get any workouts in this weekend and getting to the gym today looks iffy.   I'm kinda frustrated with that... Warren, I think you were in the same boat a few weeks ago.  I'm really looking forward to starting my 20-week HIM training program in a couple weeks.  I feel like I'll be much more disciplined when I have specific workouts to do on specific days.  Right now, I just do what I "feel" like doing and I've blown off some workouts because of a lack of structure.  Just in a bit of a funk right now.
2010-04-12 11:26 AM
in reply to: #2783971

User image

NH
aarondavidson - 2010-04-11 8:24 PM

Sounds like a good race Aaron.

And you're so right on my pre-race nutrition.  I've gone over the whole thing and it's pretty clear what happened.  With an 11:00 AM start, I screwed up by eating my normal fairly light breakfast and then not having anything else before the race.  And with the heat and what I was drinking early on in the race, it's no wonder I had problems.

I'm going to put it all in the race report so I can refer to it later.  What a newb!  I learned a ton though.  The first 10k went well anyway!

I just put the race report up.

Edited by wbayek 2010-04-12 11:57 AM

2010-04-12 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2784992

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
billsorg - 2010-04-11 10:55 PM  I feel like I'll be much more disciplined when I have specific workouts to do on specific days.  Right now, I just do what I "feel" like doing and I've blown off some workouts because of a lack of structure.  Just in a bit of a funk right now.

I now know that I have to have a plan if I want to get up and do the workouts (hence the Winter Cycling Challenge, the half mary plan to be followed by the Oly plan in mid May for me).

The good news is you are giving your head (and body) down time - which will help when you really start hitting the training plan. I think everyone needs a little down time (and if you don't voluntarily take it, it will be forced upon you - see my Feb training logs Laughing ). Don't beat yourself up too much.

For Bob  - excellent job. You went so fast on the bike and run! I think you are ready for the Iron distance next year, what do you think? I hope it was fun. Coronado is such a pretty place.

Warren - As hard as the race probably was, you finished and you finished at a very decent clip. I'm amazed at your time - especially considering the GI issues you were suffering from.

2010-04-13 3:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Bob -  Awesome race time in your SuperSEAL Olympic, are you sure this was your first Olympic tri!!  You again set the bar very high for the rest of us.  

Warren - great job at finishing your first half mary and knocking down one of your goals!
2010-04-14 7:17 PM

User image

NH
I realized I hadn't done a roller update in a while.  It's still amazing to me how inept I am on the rollers.  Admittedly I haven't been riding everyday, but I've tried to be pretty consistent with a few minutes most days.  I can now ride for a few minutes without falling off, but only totally upright on the top handlebars.  Even dropping down at and I'm off the side, forget about aerobars.  The quest continues...
2010-04-15 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Warren, I'm in a similar boat on the bi-lateral breathing. I felt like I was going slower and slower and my form was getting worse and worse, so I actually took a break from trying that for a few weeks leading up to my last race. I need to get back on it and start trying again but I can honestly say I'm not looking forward to it. Those new tricks for this old dog are a PITA!

Soldier on, man...just think of all the new neural pathways you're creating!
2010-04-15 1:19 PM

User image

NH
You're right Bob, lots of new pathways being exercised.  Particularly in the fear quadrant of my brain!  Even though I'm barely pedaling, my heart rate is Z5.

2010-04-15 2:22 PM

User image

NH
Aaron asked me to post my mile splits for the half mary, so here they are:

8:32 8:31 8:23 8:20 8:20 8:27 8:44 (2:55 stop) 8:38 9:00 9:10 (2:45 stop) 9:35 11:27 9:12 1:55

2010-04-15 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2793715

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
bfoyle - 2010-04-15 11:09 AM Warren, I'm in a similar boat on the bi-lateral breathing. I felt like I was going slower and slower and my form was getting worse and worse, so I actually took a break from trying that for a few weeks leading up to my last race. I need to get back on it and start trying again but I can honestly say I'm not looking forward to it. Those new tricks for this old dog are a PITA!

Soldier on, man...just think of all the new neural pathways you're creating!

Ugh!  Bi-lateral breathing... the bane of my existance!  I've tried over the past couple of years to incorporate it into my training, but I always feel like I'm starting back on square 1.  I can swim 3,000 continuous yds only breathing to the left, but if I try bi-lateral, I'm winded before I reach 50 yds.  So every year its the same thing... I say I'll work on it in the offseason... and it never happens.  Oh well, I guess my tri nickname can just be Lefty.
2010-04-15 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2794485

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
wbayek - 2010-04-15 3:22 PM Aaron asked me to post my mile splits for the half mary, so here they are:

8:32 8:31 8:23 8:20 8:20 8:27 8:44 (2:55 stop) 8:38 9:00 9:10 (2:45 stop) 9:35 11:27 9:12 1:55

You were kicking it at a pretty good clip, Warren.  If you can figure out the G.I. issues, then you'll be knocking out a sub 2-hour half mary easily.  What happened on mile 11 (11:27)?  Was that a big hill or just stomach discomfort?  As far as I'm concerned, this is still an impressive performance... heck, you got in 2 potty breaks and still beat my half mary time!
2010-04-15 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2794704

User image

NH
billsorg - 2010-04-15 4:47 PM
wbayek - 2010-04-15 3:22 PM Aaron asked me to post my mile splits for the half mary, so here they are:

You were kicking it at a pretty good clip, Warren.  If you can figure out the G.I. issues, then you'll be knocking out a sub 2-hour half mary easily.  What happened on mile 11 (11:27)?  Was that a big hill or just stomach discomfort?  As far as I'm concerned, this is still an impressive performance... heck, you got in 2 potty breaks and still beat my half mary time!

Thanks Bill.  That 11:27 mile was some serious walking.  I just had locked up.  It's funny that I really didn't have stomach discomfort at all, I just couldn't move my legs.  It was strange to not be able to get my body to do what I wanted it to do.

I've done a 1:57 half in training, on a pretty hilly course, with a strong finish and pretty fresh at the end, so the sub 2 should have been a no brainer.  But I learned to take NOTHING for granted, and respect all distances.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76