BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's mentor group is Closed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2010-09-27 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3118920

User image

Expert
Alabama
Subject: RE: BamaDC's mentor group is Closed!
titeloops - 2010-09-27 7:28 AM

swim 31:39
T1 4:37, guess I had a nap here. not sure what happened in T1
Bike 2:43:58  20.5mph
T2 3:39, had to hit portajohn. over hydrated
Run 2:04:21    9:30 pace.  Real happy with this, its faster than my stand alone half mary

Total: 5:28:12

I'll have a race report up in a few days. I met Brian from our group at registration. Nice guy!

My plan was to go easy on this race. Didn't work out that way. Swam easy, but at mile 30 of the bike I was still carrying over a 20 mph average, so I figured what the hell. Hammered away. Felt really great until mile 9 on the run. Got massive blisters from the wet socks. Started feeling a little light headed at mile 10 so I slowed considearably til mile 12. Then I could hear the noise from the finish chute, and I was able to pull the pace back down to about 9:20. Ran the full half, so that made me happy. Was planning to walk a few aid stations, but didnt cause I felt so good. My 10k split fom my watch was about 54 minutes, which is only a minute off my 10k PR, so you can tell I slowed down alot on the second half of the run.

Here's my race critique, cause I know a couple of you have mentioned maybe doing this race in the future. If you do, definitely stay at the Marriott. Host hotel. Made everything so much easier being there, for me and my wife who was spectating.
The swim is FAST! Downstream, point to point. I honestly had navigation issue's again, and I swam really easy. I wound up getting out of the main current and spent much of the swim trying to get back into it, and I still went 31 minutes. Jaques(sp) You would swim this in sub 25 minutes I bet.
Bike Course: we drove the bike course on Sat. evening and its flat for the 1st 12 miles, then it starts rolling. In the car the hills seemed tougher than they were. I expected to average around 19, but between the adrenaline and getting pulled around the course by the peleton I road with, my time was really good. Mark, you would prolly average 23 or better on this course. I honestly drafted my off. There was no way to avoid it. It rained really hard on the ride. I think I would have averaged 21 or better if not for the rain, and me constantly telling myself I needed to slow down.
Run course: Awesome! totally flat, and snaking thru downtown so its really spectator friendly. I saw my wife 5 times on the run course and she never had to move, she just turned around. She hung out with one of my buddies wives who has been to multiple IM events. She commented that this was the most spectator friendly of all that she had seen.
I heard they ran out of finisher medals later in the day. That sucks. I had no complaints. Loved this race, and may very well do it again.

Good Race!!!  Sounds like everything went well.

Thank you for the review on Augusta.  I may have to make this my first HIM.

2010-09-27 9:26 AM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

Run 2:04:21    9:30 pace.  Real happy with this, its faster than my stand alone half mary

I'll have a race report up in a few days. I met Brian from our group at registration. Nice guy!

My plan was to go easy on this race. Didn't work out that way. Swam easy, but at mile 30 of the bike I was still carrying over a 20 mph average, so I figured what the hell. Hammered away. Felt really great until mile 9 on the run. Got massive blisters from the wet socks. Started feeling a little light headed at mile 10 so I slowed considearably til mile 12. Then I could hear the noise from the finish chute, and I was able to pull the pace back down to about 9:20. Ran the full half, so that made me happy. Was planning to walk a few aid stations, but didnt cause I felt so good. My 10k split fom my watch was about 54 minutes, which is only a minute off my 10k PR, so you can tell I slowed down alot on the second half of the run.

Here's my race critique, cause I know a couple of you have mentioned maybe doing this race in the future. If you do, definitely stay at the Marriott. Host hotel. Made everything so much easier being there, for me and my wife who was spectating.
The swim is FAST! Downstream, point to point. I honestly had navigation issue's again, and I swam really easy. I wound up getting out of the main current and spent much of the swim trying to get back into it, and I still went 31 minutes. Jaques(sp) You would swim this in sub 25 minutes I bet.
Bike Course: we drove the bike course on Sat. evening and its flat for the 1st 12 miles, then it starts rolling. In the car the hills seemed tougher than they were. I expected to average around 19, but between the adrenaline and getting pulled around the course by the peleton I road with, my time was really good. Mark, you would prolly average 23 or better on this course. I honestly drafted my off. There was no way to avoid it. It rained really hard on the ride. I think I would have averaged 21 or better if not for the rain, and me constantly telling myself I needed to slow down.
Run course: Awesome! totally flat, and snaking thru downtown so its really spectator friendly. I saw my wife 5 times on the run course and she never had to move, she just turned around. She hung out with one of my buddies wives who has been to multiple IM events. She commented that this was the most spectator friendly of all that she had seen.
I heard they ran out of finisher medals later in the day. That sucks. I had no complaints. Loved this race, and may very well do it again.

Great Race!!  Sub 5:30 for your first HIM is smoking.

What was the temp on race day?
2010-09-27 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
titeloops - 2010-09-27 8:28 AM

You had a solid race.  Definitely nice to come out of a tune up race on a high note.

You got a PT in your new wheels right? What sort of watts where you pushing on the bike?  During my OLY I thought I was flying when I looked at my speed and thought I would need to reign it in.  However when I looked at my wattage I realized I wasn't pushing as hard as I thought and was actually in a very comfortable/sustainable range.
2010-09-27 9:47 AM
in reply to: #3119126

User image

Expert
Raleigh
BamaDC - 2010-09-27 9:26 AM

Great Race!!  Sub 5:30 for your first HIM is smoking.

What was the temp on race day?

70's for the bike, and maybe 80 on the run. Never got to hot cause of the rain.
2010-09-27 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3119154

User image

Expert
Raleigh
cornfed - 2010-09-27 9:36 AM

You had a solid race.  Definitely nice to come out of a tune up race on a high note.

You got a PT in your new wheels right? What sort of watts where you pushing on the bike?  During my OLY I thought I was flying when I looked at my speed and thought I would need to reign it in.  However when I looked at my wattage I realized I wasn't pushing as hard as I thought and was actually in a very comfortable/sustainable range.

I average 180 watts. Problem is I haven't done enough training with the PT to know what is a sustainable average over different distances. I thought I wanted to be in the 165 to 170 range.
2010-09-27 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3119199

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
titeloops - 2010-09-27 10:49 AM

I average 180 watts. Problem is I haven't done enough training with the PT to know what is a sustainable average over different distances. I thought I wanted to be in the 165 to 170 range.

You should do and FTP test.  Once you have that you'll know what percentage you want to push in a race.  If you do it soon (after you've recovered this weekend) you'll still have time before B2B to test it out during training.    During my OLY I was only doing about 85% of my FTP which is (based on what I've read about pacing) low for and OLY.  It's also probably why I felt so good after there race.   If you don't want to do the testing right now you can dump all your power data into something like WKO or Golden Cheetah (or excel if you don't mind doing some extra work yourself) and get a reasonable estimate.  Either way you need to know what the number is.

2010-09-27 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3119300

User image

Expert
Raleigh
cornfed - 2010-09-27 10:21 AM

You should do and FTP test.  Once you have that you'll know what percentage you want to push in a race.  If you do it soon (after you've recovered this weekend) you'll still have time before B2B to test it out during training.    During my OLY I was only doing about 85% of my FTP which is (based on what I've read about pacing) low for and OLY.  It's also probably why I felt so good after there race.   If you don't want to do the testing right now you can dump all your power data into something like WKO or Golden Cheetah (or excel if you don't mind doing some extra work yourself) and get a reasonable estimate.  Either way you need to know what the number is.
Anyone know of a website that will teach me all this?
2010-09-27 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3119355

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
titeloops - 2010-09-27 11:37 AM

You should do and FTP test.� Once you have that you'll know what percentage you want to push in a race.� If you do it soon (after you've recovered this weekend) you'll still have time before B2B to test it out during training.��� During my OLY I was only doing about 85% of my FTP which is (based on what I've read about pacing) low for and OLY.� It's also probably why I felt so good after there race.�� If you don't want to do the testing right now you can dump all your power data into something like WKO or Golden Cheetah (or excel if you don't mind doing some extra work yourself) and get a reasonable estimate.� Either way you need to know what the number is.

Anyone know of a website that will teach me all this?

I've heard beginnertriathlete.com has a lot of info. ;)

Do you want to know how to use the software or how to do the test?

If you want to do the test take look at Jorge's blog.  You'll want to do the 20 minute test and 5 minute test then calculate your 60 minute power (which is your FTP).  The test are a little strange in the they recommend doing part of your warm up at a specific part of your FTP but you obviously don't know this yet.  I think the important part is to ride easy then ride hard, etc during the warm up so I just used RPE during this.  The really important part is to hammer during the 20 minute part to get an accurate number.

If it's a software question, which program are you using?

Edited by cornfed 2010-09-27 1:22 PM
2010-09-27 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3119199

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
titeloops - 2010-09-27 9:49 AM

I like the method Jorge uses.  Its under the winter cycling column.

http://jorgepbmcoaching.blogspot.com/
2010-09-27 1:20 PM
in reply to: #2781196

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Thanks guys. yes, I needed the test.
2010-09-27 2:21 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama
titleloops - that's an AWESOME race!

Way to rock your HIM! Man that's a great time. And it sounds like a great race!

STUD.

You all keep up the great work. I'm confined to the bed with a sinus infection from hades! It's had me in the bed for 2 days; going on 3. I'd really like to knock this crap out and get back to normal!

2010-09-29 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3120009

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
LostSheep - 2010-09-27 2:21 PM

You all keep up the great work. I'm confined to the bed with a sinus infection from hades! It's had me in the bed for 2 days; going on 3. I'd really like to knock this crap out and get back to normal!

I feel you.  I've had something nasty for the last 3 days.  I just want to breath normal again.
2010-09-29 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Alabama
Jorge is getting together a group buying discount for Powertaps.  If anyone is interested, the information to send him an email is on the Tri Forum thread, winter cycling program.

Or, his email is: 
[email protected]

I sent him an e-mail, and hoping to get specifics back on what the deal may be.  He's not sure if they can build it out or not, so may just be the powertap itself.
2010-09-29 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3123991

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
pilotzs - 2010-09-29 11:46 AM Jorge is getting together a group buying discount for Powertaps.  If anyone is interested, the information to send him an email is on the Tri Forum thread, winter cycling program.

Or, his email is: 
[email protected]

I sent him an e-mail, and hoping to get specifics back on what the deal may be.  He's not sure if they can build it out or not, so may just be the powertap itself.

What are the rates you guys were quoted?
2010-09-29 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3123991

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
pilotzs - 2010-09-29 12:46 PM Jorge is getting together a group buying discount for Powertaps.  If anyone is interested, the information to send him an email is on the Tri Forum thread, winter cycling program.

Or, his email is: 
[email protected]

If you get a good deal I wouldn't worry too much if it's not built into a wheel.  You can get that done locally pretty cheap.
2010-09-29 2:37 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Race report is up. Not much I haven't already said here. .http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=228615&posts=1

Edited by titeloops 2010-09-29 2:45 PM

2010-09-29 3:18 PM
in reply to: #3124455

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
titeloops - 2010-09-29 3:37 PM Race report is up. Not much I haven't already said here. .http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=228615&posts=1

You did really well.  Better, in fact, than your recent oly performance would have suggested.  Is this going to be followed by a mea culpa thread like some other race reports around here? 
2010-09-29 4:34 PM
in reply to: #3123997

User image

Expert
Alabama
BamaDC - 2010-09-29 11:48 AM
pilotzs - 2010-09-29 11:46 AM Jorge is getting together a group buying discount for Powertaps.  If anyone is interested, the information to send him an email is on the Tri Forum thread, winter cycling program.

Or, his email is: 
[email protected]

What are the rates you guys were quoted?

Have not heard anything back yet.  I'll keep you posted.
2010-09-29 7:01 PM
in reply to: #3124572

User image

Expert
Raleigh
cornfed - 2010-09-29 3:18 PM
titeloops - 2010-09-29 3:37 PM Race report is up. Not much I haven't already said here. .http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=228615&posts=1

You did really well.  Better, in fact, than your recent oly performance would have suggested.  Is this going to be followed by a mea culpa thread like some other race reports around here? 

I was sandbagging!
2010-09-29 8:43 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama
I got the email from Jorge. He's quoting approximately 20% off based on the number of people that actually sign up.

He did say that they will lace the hub into one of their wheels for $150. I think the cheapest was the Comp+ with a wheel for ~$600. I didn't think it was that bad of a deal.

I believe cornfed beat me to it, but what was the thought about the RR that quoted a 1st place win only to notice they completely failed to do 1 of the out & backs on the bike, shorting it?

Link: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=228748&posts=6&start=1

Just curious. Accidental mistake or dubious plan?
2010-09-30 7:53 AM
in reply to: #3125053

User image

Expert
Alabama
LostSheep - 2010-09-29 8:43 PM I got the email from Jorge. He's quoting approximately 20% off based on the number of people that actually sign up.

He did say that they will lace the hub into one of their wheels for $150. I think the cheapest was the Comp+ with a wheel for ~$600. I didn't think it was that bad of a deal.

I believe cornfed beat me to it, but what was the thought about the RR that quoted a 1st place win only to notice they completely failed to do 1 of the out & backs on the bike, shorting it?

Link: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=228748&posts=6&start=1

Sheep, on my limited knowledge, I would look at one of the wireless models (Pro+), since you already have the 310xt.  You wouldn't need the CPU unit, unless you wanted something other than the 310xt to train, so the wheel + wireless powertap would be pretty reasonable.

Mark, He's basically quoting a Pro+ w/ Joule 2.0 on a DT Swiss RR465 wheel for $1,080.  Or a SL+ for $1399.99 w/ the same setup. Is there any real difference in models besides the weight?  Not sure the extra $300 would be worth it just for the wieght at this point.

I priced the Pro+ out on wheelbuilder, and it was $1465.00.  Sounds pretty good.  I'm guessing the DT Swiss w/ the powertap setup would be a good starter???   Would you want the Joule 2.0, or look at the Garmin 310xt instead?  He can check on building into different wheels, but would be priced seperatly.  Thoughts? 

2010-09-30 8:16 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama
Pilotz, that looks good.

I mentioned the $600 deal last night to my better half, but it went down on the priority list simply due to price and other things in front of it. Now, if were even cheaper, than maybe it's a possibility.

The only downfall is looking at the powertap stuff is completely new to me. I'll see if I can wade through it some more.

What says you Mark?
2010-09-30 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3125053

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
LostSheep - 2010-09-29 8:43 PM

IMO a Dubious Plan!  With the FB post saying he's going 4:20, with the post about riding a 2:18 on the course in a training ride, and the 40x50 swim post.  It was all a set up to try and provide a smoke screen for the coming events.

Those are my thoughts and good for the racer who brought it up on ST.
2010-09-30 9:11 AM
in reply to: #3125447

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
LostSheep - 2010-09-30 8:16 AM Pilotz, that looks good.

I mentioned the $600 deal last night to my better half, but it went down on the priority list simply due to price and other things in front of it. Now, if were even cheaper, than maybe it's a possibility.

The only downfall is looking at the powertap stuff is completely new to me. I'll see if I can wade through it some more.

What says you Mark?

I already have a Garmin 310xt and a 705, so I would go for the Elite+ Model.  That's the cheapest model with the ANT+ technology.

If you're using a disc cover, no one will see the pretty carbon cutouts.  And until I'm under 6% body fat I'm not spending extra to cut out 80 to 200 gram weight.
2010-09-30 9:14 AM
in reply to: #3125403

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
pilotzs - 2010-09-30 7:53 AM
LostSheep - 2010-09-29 8:43 PM I got the email from Jorge. He's quoting approximately 20% off based on the number of people that actually sign up.

Sheep, on my limited knowledge, I would look at one of the wireless models (Pro+), since you already have the 310xt.  You wouldn't need the CPU unit, unless you wanted something other than the 310xt to train, so the wheel + wireless powertap would be pretty reasonable.

Mark, He's basically quoting a Pro+ w/ Joule 2.0 on a DT Swiss RR465 wheel for $1,080.  Or a SL+ for $1399.99 w/ the same setup. Is there any real difference in models besides the weight?  Not sure the extra $300 would be worth it just for the wieght at this point.

I priced the Pro+ out on wheelbuilder, and it was $1465.00.  Sounds pretty good.  I'm guessing the DT Swiss w/ the powertap setup would be a good starter???   Would you want the Joule 2.0, or look at the Garmin 310xt instead?  He can check on building into different wheels, but would be priced seperatly.  Thoughts? 

That's a good deal.  The Joule 2.0 only has a MRSP of 450.00 dollars. 

You could probably buy a few more and flip them on Ebay. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's mentor group is Closed! Rss Feed  

of 52