BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-02-15 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4048629

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
quincyf - 2012-02-15 9:05 AM

OK, a while back, I said I was going to try to get a 'swim' expert to come and address the group because I don't feel that qualified, and I thought it might be fun for everyone to meet a BT'er. It's nice to know who is really worth listening to and who is a blowhard when you are reading threads about various topics, and I wanted to help you guys figure that out. Of course if you ever see me posting about anything, you know it's infallible, but who else out there is worth listening to???

SO, I remember that Shelley and Cheri both have OWS panic issues, and I believe Dave has issues with feeling anxious when trying to swim hard sets.

I would like for everyone to think of their burning swim issues, even if we sort of covered it here, and post them today so we can compile a list of question for our 'expert.' When she gives me the ok, I will post her name and an intro...we will probably hear from her in a day or two, or first thing next week depending on her schedule.

SO, what swim questions do you have??? How to prepare for OWS panic? How to overcome anxiety (drills, practice, what works?). WHAT ELSE??? This is your chance! Embarassment free, no scary Tri Talk Forumistas! 

It can be technical, global, whatever...I am going to ask some too!!!

"think"  I know who the expert will be! (of course even if I'm wrong, I might say I guessed right!  reverse of this..."hello Vegas?  $50 on red, DOH!  I'll send you a check...)

This is what I posted when we discussed previously.

I'll share my own swim issue that I would like some help with .

I have done many tri's  mass start,  high waves, deep water.  I have gotten kicked, punched, had my goggles kicked off my face.     None of that bothers me at all.  

In the pool however and this may be the key.    I cannot do fast swim drills.   If I go all out effort in the pool,   I will get to a panic attack situation.  Or anxiety.   It has something to do with a scenario of being in the water, and being in oxygen debt.  There is lots of humidity which helps create that oxygen debt,   BUT  when I get that feeling, I literally feel like I have to climb out of the pool.   Weird huh    I'm guessing maybe asthma??  (my doc does not think so)

Now if I go to say 80% level efforts  no problem.   it has to be a scenario in a pool where I'm really moving.       SO my issue on getting faster is that I feel like I cannot do fast swim drills, that will help me get faster.

2012-02-16 2:01 AM
in reply to: #4047593

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
quincyf - 2012-02-14 5:12 PM

Hi guys, Dave and I have been a bit absent for different reasons, but I wanted to check in and say hi! 'Cause usually I'm all tellin' you something or another, and I don't have to be bossy all the time ;-).

I am supposed to be starting my 30 week program for IMWI today and in truly inauspicious fashion am in the process of blowing off my first day. 

I'm feeling a bit under the weather and a thousand things that simply must be taken care of have popped up today (you know, life) so I am going with the flow and not worrying about it. 

I've also been worrying about substituting various activities for S/B/R and got some good advice on the forums to stop trying to do that and just go with a bike focus until I am cleared to run (which should be soon), so I am still kind of re-thinking how my plan is going to change. So I guess I'm starting off with a recovery week, hahaha!

Do any of you use any cycling programs, like spinervals? Wondering if anyone has any reviews or thoughts on those...I love riding my bike, so going to a bike intense program is actually kind of appealing, i just need to figure out some structure until I can get back on track...

In other news some of the hoops I have been jumping through the last few months have been regarding my 3 year old son...he has a pretty severe speech delay and recently aged out of Early Intervention and into the public school system. I am pretty sanguine about bureaucracy because of my military service and work at the airlines, but this process was terrifying even to me. Fortunately we finally got his IEP all worked out and we just found out he got placed in the preK at my daughter's elementary school. For any of you who aren't familiar with Chicago (or other huge cities, I am sure) the school systems are not like the 'burbs where everyone goes to their neighborhood school...you can have three kids and have all three of them going to different schools. Anyway, he's getting speech, occupational, and special ed along with this PreK placement and it's at her school which is, basically, a miracle. So I simply had to get all of our ducks in a row to ensure he gets enrolled and started right away because he hasn't had any therapy for about 6 weeks, and I feel like it is starting to 'show' a bit.

Do any of you have any 'unusual' children? My daughter is gifted and had a few quirks, but I was unprepared for dealing with this kid. He's super cool, and fun, but it is frustrating and strange to deal with him sometimes. He is starting to read, understand number concepts (not just counting), can ID by shape and name all 50 states, and many countries in Africa, Asia, and Europe (he shuns South America). Yet he doesn't really have any functional language (he speaks in almost purely echolalaic fashion) and it is hit or miss whether he understands me, let alone anyone else...he truly is all over the place and I just don't know what will become of him...just hoping his strengths outweigh his weaknesses and it evens out as he gets older...

Anyway, I know it is totally off topic, just thought I would share something completely unrelated to triathlon...if anyone has any thoughts or experience with an unusual child I would love to hear about it...

Oh, and on the Triathlon front, I totally got a new tri top for this season! It's green, which is extremely important because now I match my bike! 

Ciao, 

Q

Q, I can completely relate to your experience, especially w/regards to the bureaucracy involved in getting assistance for your son.

My girls were born premature back in 2001 at 33 weeks. One weighed 2 lbs 14 oz, the  other was on a respirator and needed surgery to have a PICC line inserted in the first week of her life. As they got older, they always seemed so delayed even when considering their "adjusted" age. Physically, they reached the milestones on pace for their age but communication was no where close  to where other kids were.

When they reached 18 months, my daughters had basically no verbal communication skills so we reached out to our local early intervention resource. After evaluation, we were told that there didn't seem to be a problem but they would re-evaluate at 2 years if we still thought there was an issue. The next six months were enormously frustrating for both parents and kids. The lack of ability for my kids to communicate in any way was soooooo frustrating for them and us(especially my wife who was home w/them). Six very difficult months later, we reached back out to have them evaluated again. In addition to the speech issues, they were extremely shy; to the point that we were becoming pretty concerned about that as well. This time, after evaluation, we were told that not only did they have substantial speech delays(like a 5 word vocabulary) but they also may have social disorders and possibly may be autistic. In addition to this, one of my girls was diagnosed w/asthma(the one on the respirator as an infant).

We got in home services from the most wonderful, patient and kind speech therapist for the next 2 years. Progress was slow but steady and I have no doubt that this incredible woman laid down the foundation for any future academic success my kids may have. Unfortunately after 2 years, our speech therapist moved on to help other children and we were left to find someone else to fill her shoes. We tried a couple of new at home therapists that really didn't work out so we decided they were old enough to bring them to a local center and provide them with individual therapists.

The next year they needed to attend a kindergarten "readiness" meeting that we felt would probably end up with us being told that they were not ready. That didn't happen despite their speech and social challenges. At the first Parent Teacher conference, we were fully expecting to be told that they were struggling w/kindergarten. This didn't happen either. They did, however, attend speech in k-2nd grade and needed reading assistance in 1st grade but they were well adjusted from the beginning despite being very quiet.

My daughters are now in 5th grade and are really good well adjusted students. They have overcome their speech delays and it turns out they really are just kinda shy, that's it. Last year they took the NYS standardized tests and both scored in the 95+ percentile and one had a perfect score in math. They're both good athletes and we're hopeful that my girl w/asthma has outgrown it(fingers crossed). They are the epitome of active normal 10 yo girls. Girls scouts, soccer, track, swimming, basketball and sleepovers with their friends nearly every weekend.

Your concern struck a nerve with me as I feel like I was there 7 years ago and I remember how hard it is when your concerned about your childs development. I wanted to share my positive outcome, hope this rambling helps, good luck.

2012-02-16 3:24 AM
in reply to: #3942395

Rochester
While finishing my BSN recently, one of our classes was on the community and what services are offered in the community. One of the ladies in my class who has had a disabled daughter for 20 years discovered more resources that are available to the daughter. Due to finding these services, her daughter is having a better life right now. Having a child with disabilites is hard, my son 19 is learning disabled and it sucks at times, but search out the services that might be out there. If you are stuck drop me a line and I can see if I can find something out there for you, of course it depends on how much time I have available at work on how long I can get back to you.
2012-02-16 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4048597

User image

No, I think the bike butt thing is just not being on a bike much (and I mean not much at all - I probably road my hybrid bike last year a total of 12 miles - the rest of the time it spent hanging from the garage ceiling).  Now I've got the road bike hooked up to a trainer and riding weekly, so its going to take some time to build up the thick skin.  It seems to already be better than when I started and I'm just using tri shorts, so I think it will get there.  Plus I will try some of that body glide stuff suggested by Dave.  I may have some questions about the setting of my aerobars though in the future.  They feel to "close" to me right now like my forearms are too long or something. 
2012-02-16 12:55 PM
in reply to: #4049044

User image

Mine would be how to work of speed too.  It seems I can swim a good distance, but I seems to always be going at the same pace.
2012-02-16 8:27 PM

Rochester

Hey everyone! I just have to write something here. I think some of this is for me to just get it off my chest. So I have pretty much had a wheat free diet over the past few months. Of course sometimes cheat meals may consist of a burger or something and that is the only time I let myself have bread. Well, this past weekend I went to Pittsburgh for my daughter  heer competition. I didn't eat the best, but it was not the worst either. Of course tuesday was Valentines so I had dessert with our dinner. Over the last week or so though I am just CRAVING THE CRAP OUT OF SWEETS. I try not to really do any sweets due to my diabetes but once in a while I definetly have something. It is just getting really bad lately. I do not know why either. This morning I definetly had to go to the grocery store for some fruit and of course I found myself walking in the bakery department. I am dying to have something with a thick layer of frosting on it. I wish I would be locked in a cake shop and had to eat myself out of there. I just do not know what is giving me this. I am just so frustrated. I am weighing in at 230, that is a total of 74 lbs off and I do want more off, but I do not know if it is my thinking or what it is that is causing this. Maybe it is why I just think of myself as the fat guy still. I cannot remember a time being this healthy with my diet, exercise and everything else.

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent.

Peter

2012-02-16 9:11 PM
in reply to: #4051980

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
peterflagg - 2012-02-16 8:27 PM

Hey everyone! I just have to write something here. I think some of this is for me to just get it off my chest. So I have pretty much had a wheat free diet over the past few months. Of course sometimes cheat meals may consist of a burger or something and that is the only time I let myself have bread. Well, this past weekend I went to Pittsburgh for my daughter  heer competition. I didn't eat the best, but it was not the worst either. Of course tuesday was Valentines so I had dessert with our dinner. Over the last week or so though I am just CRAVING THE CRAP OUT OF SWEETS. I try not to really do any sweets due to my diabetes but once in a while I definetly have something. It is just getting really bad lately. I do not know why either. This morning I definetly had to go to the grocery store for some fruit and of course I found myself walking in the bakery department. I am dying to have something with a thick layer of frosting on it. I wish I would be locked in a cake shop and had to eat myself out of there. I just do not know what is giving me this. I am just so frustrated. I am weighing in at 230, that is a total of 74 lbs off and I do want more off, but I do not know if it is my thinking or what it is that is causing this. Maybe it is why I just think of myself as the fat guy still. I cannot remember a time being this healthy with my diet, exercise and everything else.

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent.

Peter

Pete Vent away!!!!

I think there will always be time periods where this will be the case!

Happens with me as well, Sugar is an amazingly quick addictor.   Break through the addiction to it as you have done, and its always lurking around the corner.   Indulge and it quickly grabs hold of you.  

You have done so well. I guess one thing i can remind you of that may help.  If you partake, and indulge more.  You will gain weight.   You know this.   Weight comes back very quick.   Once you gain 5 -10 pounds it seems to be much harder to lose than it was the first time. Cause its more depressing. "I was just at 235!!" Now im at 240!!!  Its of course even more difficult at that point, to be disciplined.    

It's Just like training. Of course you need a rest day, but then on the next day crap happens at work, or whatever and then bam!   Now its 2 rest days.   Drama gets in the way for day 3 And All of a sudden its like, "what...im not a runner/triathlete anymore?!"         

Then depression over it and then its tough to get off the couch. Keep in mind that i have just ended my run streak at 43 days and now the scenario i just gave has played out.   So i hear you!    

All of a sudden I feel less motivation to train tomorrow (also facing another tough work day) All i can think about is "medicate with food or beer" But i know its compounding the issue, So I ate really well the past few days knowing that I did not burn it off.

When me and you add the type 2 to the equation well We have to do it more than just for vanity sake. So slay the gluco-monster!

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-02-17 5:13 AM
2012-02-16 9:42 PM
in reply to: #4047593

User image

Expert
Hammond
quincyf - 2012-02-14 4:12 PM

>

In other news some of the hoops I have been jumping through the last few months have been regarding my 3 year old son...he has a pretty severe speech delay and recently aged out of Early Intervention and into the public school system. I am pretty sanguine about bureaucracy because of my military service and work at the airlines, but this process was terrifying even to me. Fortunately we finally got his IEP all worked out and we just found out he got placed in the preK at my daughter's elementary school. For any of you who aren't familiar with Chicago (or other huge cities, I am sure) the school systems are not like the 'burbs where everyone goes to their neighborhood school...you can have three kids and have all three of them going to different schools. Anyway, he's getting speech, occupational, and special ed along with this PreK placement and it's at her school which is, basically, a miracle. So I simply had to get all of our ducks in a row to ensure he gets enrolled and started right away because he hasn't had any therapy for about 6 weeks, and I feel like it is starting to 'show' a bit.

Do any of you have any 'unusual' children? My daughter is gifted and had a few quirks, but I was unprepared for dealing with this kid. He's super cool, and fun, but it is frustrating and strange to deal with him sometimes. He is starting to read, understand number concepts (not just counting), can ID by shape and name all 50 states, and many countries in Africa, Asia, and Europe (he shuns South America). Yet he doesn't really have any functional language (he speaks in almost purely echolalaic fashion) and it is hit or miss whether he understands me, let alone anyone else...he truly is all over the place and I just don't know what will become of him...just hoping his strengths outweigh his weaknesses and it evens out as he gets older...

Anyway, I know it is totally off topic, just thought I would share something completely unrelated to triathlon...if anyone has any thoughts or experience with an unusual child I would love to hear about it...

Oh, and on the Triathlon front, I totally got a new tri top for this season! It's green, which is extremely important because now I match my bike! 

Ciao, 

Q

Q,
I can so relate to your post about your son. I have a 18 yo son with ADHD. We have struggled with school and social issues since he was in the 3rd grade. He is extremely bright and smart as a whip but you'd never know it looking at his academic performance. In grammar school he did fairly well but as the grades got harder his performance got worse. I have spent many a night worrying about him and his future. He's also my sweetest of my three children so it made it that much harder to parent him. We were always torn between is it laziness or his ADHD? Are we enabling him or hurting him? Do we punish him or fight for special priveleges? I didn't fight for accommodations and I've often wondered if I did the right thing or not. I didn't want him to use his ADHD as a crutch to get out of doing his work or putting his best effort in. Unfortunately I still sometimes wonder if I should have fought more, though. He has friends who had longer test times and teacher written notes and all sorts of other accommodations that he was probably entitled to. Who knows if he would have been better off if he had them.
He also struggled to fit in socially. Other kids didn't always want to be around the kid who was always antsy and tapping or making noises etc. I truly can't tell you how many nights I have cried myself to sleep worrying about him and really I'm not a worrier or a stresser, but when it's your child it's just a different ball game. I can say this though, he is now 18, working, attending college (although once again his performance there isn't stellar) he has a handful of truly great friends and he is happy. He makes me smile and warms my heart more than I thought possible. He still is struggling with finding his place and I still don't know where his future will take him. I do know though that he is a true blessing from God and I believe that he will figure it all out and is going to be an awesome young man. He's the one in the family that makes sure everyone's oil is changed, that his sister and I have full tanks of gas, that the dog is bathed, etc. He is the caretaker of the family, and as much worry as I've had, he's given me twice as much joy. So I still worry about him but then he gives me his s**t eating grin and says "Mom I've got this" and I can't help but smile back and pray that eventually he does because right now I know he doesn't ;-).

I just wanted you to know that you aren't alone in your worries. I think we all worry about our kids- just different worries for different kids. But God made each and every one of them with their own unique personalities and each one has their own purpose.

Shelly
2012-02-17 6:06 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Adjustments:

Life does get in the way of training.   Or at least it can.     It can be an easy excuse, or much more than that.  We did say in the beginning of this group that things will happen.     For me lately,  work has been tough, kids sick, house projects gone awry. 

And then... my DW came home from work on Monday and struggled to get out of the car.    "diverticulitis"  was discovered after many tests, spent a night at the hospital.  they wanted to admit her for 2-3 days so she could have IV-antibiotics administered and to verify there was no perforation in her colon.    After much deliberation, it was reluctantly agreed between us and her doctor(s)  that she be allowed to leave, relax and take her antibiotics at home.    Lucky for us her condition was caught before there was any perforation or she would have had to have surgery right away.  

She is doing much better right now, but still is mostly bed ridden.   I get to take care of 100% of the kid shuffling, take care of her, and then off to work.  

All the while, I 'could'  train, but my training lately has lost quality.      This running every day was somehow making it impossible for my body to recover.   I did not expect that.     Gee Dave   Stress-Recover-Stress recover    why did you not understand the very concept that you are a proponent of?     Well I was used to 600-800 minutes of weekly training.   I had decided that in the streak that  an 18 minute  2 mile run as a  "Rest day"  should be super duper easy.      And at first it was.    Then it was not easy, and I would be gassed during my harder workouts.    then it evolved into a daily total fatigue that went on and on.    WHY???  seriously because of a 2 mile run???     I can run 26!!     I can do Ironman!    WTF!!!   

I did decide to end my run streak as it became counter productive to quality training.  I was not getting to the pool,  spin has been the only cycling that I have been doing, and as each day passes  I get closer to Race season.     Had to take stock of situation and "adjust"    

So its been a tough week in the Lev household. 

When people are following a training "plan"  its important to realize that it all looks good on paper.  It looks totally doable.   Then "life gets in the way"    so how do you handle it?     Have to make adjustments.   Try and build in your training plan some flexibility points.      Also try and remember that though you are following a plan, and it helps your brain to stay focused, but your body has no idea what its supposed to do on paper and may not cooperate at times.    

stuff happens people!   we just gotta keep on rolling with it!

2012-02-18 6:21 AM
in reply to: #4052262

User image

Veteran
oriolepwr - 2012-02-17 7:06 AM

Adjustments:

Life does get in the way of training.   Or at least it can.     It can be an easy excuse, or much more than that.  We did say in the beginning of this group that things will happen.     For me lately,  work has been tough, kids sick, house projects gone awry. 

And then... my DW came home from work on Monday and struggled to get out of the car.    "diverticulitis"  was discovered after many tests, spent a night at the hospital.  they wanted to admit her for 2-3 days so she could have IV-antibiotics administered and to verify there was no perforation in her colon.    After much deliberation, it was reluctantly agreed between us and her doctor(s)  that she be allowed to leave, relax and take her antibiotics at home.    Lucky for us her condition was caught before there was any perforation or she would have had to have surgery right away.  

She is doing much better right now, but still is mostly bed ridden.   I get to take care of 100% of the kid shuffling, take care of her, and then off to work.  

All the while, I 'could'  train, but my training lately has lost quality.      This running every day was somehow making it impossible for my body to recover.   I did not expect that.     Gee Dave   Stress-Recover-Stress recover    why did you not understand the very concept that you are a proponent of?     Well I was used to 600-800 minutes of weekly training.   I had decided that in the streak that  an 18 minute  2 mile run as a  "Rest day"  should be super duper easy.      And at first it was.    Then it was not easy, and I would be gassed during my harder workouts.    then it evolved into a daily total fatigue that went on and on.    WHY???  seriously because of a 2 mile run???     I can run 26!!     I can do Ironman!    WTF!!!   

I did decide to end my run streak as it became counter productive to quality training.  I was not getting to the pool,  spin has been the only cycling that I have been doing, and as each day passes  I get closer to Race season.     Had to take stock of situation and "adjust"    

When people are following a training "plan"  its important to realize that it all looks good on paper.  It looks totally doable.   Then "life gets in the way"    so how do you handle it?     Have to make adjustments.   Try and build in your training plan some flexibility points.      Also try and remember that though you are following a plan, and it helps your brain to stay focused, but your body has no idea what its supposed to do on paper and may not cooperate at times.    

Sorry to hear about your wife, my aunt has that an it can be a challenge to deal with.  Great attitude, just roll with it and do the best you can with what life throws at you.  I think you'll be feeling much better too now that you are back to work, rest, repeat! 

2012-02-18 6:24 AM

User image

Veteran

Happy Saturday! I have clients coming in this weekend so training will be a challenge, going to try and get a 3 mile run in this morning and then I'll be lucky if I can get anything else accomplished this weekend.

Hope everyone else has more fun activities planned thant I do!

2012-02-19 9:58 AM
in reply to: #4054222

User image

Sutton
Ybeal - 2012-02-18 7:24 AM

Happy Saturday! I have clients coming in this weekend so training will be a challenge, going to try and get a 3 mile run in this morning and then I'll be lucky if I can get anything else accomplished this weekend.

After 5 days of working out, I finally ran my first 10k outdoors (515ft of elevation gain). For some reason it was a psychological barrier, I needed to accomplish, as I have been struggling to visualize the 21k (13 miles) distance of the Half IM, it seemed such a long distance, now I can see that it is attainable.

Saturday was quite, I had intentions of swimming and drove to the pool, only to find out that there was a swim meet, so 35k (20 miles) of back and forth for nothing.

Today light run probably 6k, my mind is going go 15k, go 15k... but I know better than to listen to it. Haven't swam for at least 2 week, so will swim later today.

Scheduling the swimming will be an issue until the ski patrol duties are done. And from the look of the snow fall so far this season, it could be a short season…

You all have a great weekend !

2012-02-19 11:09 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

The girls had their last swim meet yesterday!  So I lane timed once again.   They had a lot of fun, but best placings were 4th out of 12 so proud of those two!  They have not had a lot of practice lately so they were quite nervous coming into the meet.   They wanted to compete anyhow.        Next week is the junior swim conference!   Finally they will get to pick which events they want to be in. 

After 5 "rest" days in a row,  I'm running 5 or 6  today, and working on the basement project.   Was thinking of running longer but didn't sleep too well.   Maybe tomorrow.      My DW is feeling much better!!!

2012-02-19 1:28 PM
in reply to: #4055388

User image

Expert
Hammond
oriolepwr - 2012-02-19 11:09 AM

The girls had their last swim meet yesterday!  So I lane timed once again.   They had a lot of fun, but best placings were 4th out of 12 so proud of those two!  They have not had a lot of practice lately so they were quite nervous coming into the meet.   They wanted to compete anyhow.        Next week is the junior swim conference!   Finally they will get to pick which events they want to be in. 

After 5 "rest" days in a row,  I'm running 5 or 6  today, and working on the basement project.   Was thinking of running longer but didn't sleep too well.   Maybe tomorrow.      My DW is feeling much better!!!

Tell the girls congrats and good luck next week. I am glad to hear your wife is feeling much better. My mom has suffered with bouts of diverticulitis and it isn't fun. Hopefully you'll be able to get back to training soon. And smart move readjusting your goals. Some people get so caught up in proving that they can do something that they injure themselves. Much better to regroup and reconfigure the goal to something obtainable, realistic and smart than to get hurt trying to be a macho man. After all, the purpose of having goals is improvement of some sort right.

Hopefully this will be a better week for ya,

Shelly
2012-02-19 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4055314

User image

Expert
Hammond
Michel.Sutton - 2012-02-19 9:58 AM

Ybeal - 2012-02-18 7:24 AM

After 5 days of working out, I finally ran my first 10k outdoors (515ft of elevation gain). For some reason it was a psychological barrier, I needed to accomplish, as I have been struggling to visualize the 21k (13 miles) distance of the Half IM, it seemed such a long distance, now I can see that it is attainable.

Saturday was quite, I had intentions of swimming and drove to the pool, only to find out that there was a swim meet, so 35k (20 miles) of back and forth for nothing.

Today light run probably 6k, my mind is going go 15k, go 15k... but I know better than to listen to it. Haven't swam for at least 2 week, so will swim later today.

Scheduling the swimming will be an issue until the ski patrol duties are done. And from the look of the snow fall so far this season, it could be a short season…

You all have a great weekend !

Congrats on doing the 10k. One day that is going to be my goal. I'm not yet ready for that but one day I want to get there.

Shelly
2012-02-19 4:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Hello strangers!

Hi everyone!  Sorry I've fallen off the face of the earth.  Things got hectic at work and at home and I lost a little focus.  My training has fallen off a bit, but I have kept up with my running.  I find that running keeps me sane and centered, so I usually keep up with it even when life gets in my way.  Swimming and biking...well that's another story!  I hope to hit it hard again this week and get back to some serious training!

I've read the last page of posts and it seems that life is throwing obstacles at many of us, as it often does.  Sigh...just gotta keep moving forward.  I'm reading a book called "The Rhythm of Life" by Matthew Kelly.  I read something that I really liked and it seems appropriate to share.  "Have courage, smile, keep your chin up, laugh often, be kind to yourself, stay focused, be gracious and appreciative, think happy thoughts, and carry on regardless." 

I hope you are all well and I look forward to being active with the group!

Jacki

2012-02-20 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi gang, just checking in. So no one thinks I CHECKED OUT, hehehe.  Sinus/allergies kicked in real bad last week from this warm winter in the north east.  Which went to a full blown cold by mid week.  I'm still suffering from sinus headaches but hope to run tomorrow once I've been on allegra for a few days.  It's supposed to hit 60F by wednesday.  I'm still in this thing, heck I bought new sneakers, whoops, I mean running shoes!!  My main goal  is to do the local sprint tri a few miles from my house in July.

Congrats to the girls on their race.

I'LL BE BACK!,

Tom

2012-02-20 3:13 PM
in reply to: #4052262

User image

Veteran
oriolepwr - 2012-02-17 7:06 AM

Adjustments:

See, he is human! 

2012-02-20 8:09 PM
in reply to: #4055507

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
fitmomma2010 - 2012-02-19 1:28 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-02-19 11:09 AM

Tell the girls congrats and good luck next week. I am glad to hear your wife is feeling much better. My mom has suffered with bouts of diverticulitis and it isn't fun. Hopefully you'll be able to get back to training soon. And smart move readjusting your goals. Some people get so caught up in proving that they can do something that they injure themselves. Much better to regroup and reconfigure the goal to something obtainable, realistic and smart than to get hurt trying to be a macho man. After all, the purpose of having goals is improvement of some sort right. Hopefully this will be a better week for ya, Shelly

Back to training today!      that was 6  "rest days" in a row for me.   You are so right about being smart versus  digging heals in and being stubborn about a goal that was getting in the way of other goals.    "Don't sweat the small stuff"       My DW is doing MUCH better.  She is happy, and even went to work today for a bit.     

Took the lil Dolphins to the pool for some fun swimming.   They spent the whole time trying to teach me to swim better.  Gotta love that.     They were off school  for Presidents day.     I have nto been to the pool for a while, and DAMN!  Swimming is effing hard!!!   wow.    I am NOT one of those people that can pick right up where they left off in the pool.   Unless I am swimming like 3-4 days a week,  I get slower and lose swim fitness  big time.   

After 6 days off from running,  I felt great on the run.   Its amazing how when running daily or close to daily, how many little nagging aches/pains you sort of "deal" with.   When 90% of those go away and you can just run,  its a great great feeling. 

2012-02-20 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4057011

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2012-02-20 3:08 PM

Hi gang, just checking in. So no one thinks I CHECKED OUT, hehehe.  Sinus/allergies kicked in real bad last week from this warm winter in the north east.  Which went to a full blown cold by mid week.  I'm still suffering from sinus headaches but hope to run tomorrow once I've been on allegra for a few days.  It's supposed to hit 60F by wednesday.  I'm still in this thing, heck I bought new sneakers, whoops, I mean running shoes!!  My main goal  is to do the local sprint tri a few miles from my house in July.

Congrats to the girls on their race.

I'LL BE BACK!,

Tom

Its ok Tom   looks like we have all taken a lil breather.    Hope the headaches go away and you can get back to training!    Our events are all getting closer and closer!    mine is like 5 weeks away.   getting excited!   I need to up my speed work/intensity.  need a little more giddy-up.  

2012-02-20 8:20 PM
in reply to: #4055704

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: Hello strangers!
DaDooRunRun - 2012-02-19 4:47 PM

Hi everyone!  Sorry I've fallen off the face of the earth.  Things got hectic at work and at home and I lost a little focus.  My training has fallen off a bit, but I have kept up with my running.  I find that running keeps me sane and centered, so I usually keep up with it even when life gets in my way.  Swimming and biking...well that's another story!  I hope to hit it hard again this week and get back to some serious training!

I've read the last page of posts and it seems that life is throwing obstacles at many of us, as it often does.  Sigh...just gotta keep moving forward.  I'm reading a book called "The Rhythm of Life" by Matthew Kelly.  I read something that I really liked and it seems appropriate to share.  "Have courage, smile, keep your chin up, laugh often, be kind to yourself, stay focused, be gracious and appreciative, think happy thoughts, and carry on regardless." 

Jacki

Jacki       Was just chatting about this kind of thing with my DW   going to tell her about the book you are reading.  Those words of wisdom seem so simple, yet hard to really achieve.       Running always does seem to help with things.      

2012-02-20 8:44 PM
in reply to: #4057476

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Hello strangers!
oriolepwr - 2012-02-20 9:20 PM
DaDooRunRun - 2012-02-19 4:47 PM

Jacki

Jacki       Was just chatting about this kind of thing with my DW   going to tell her about the book you are reading.  Those words of wisdom seem so simple, yet hard to really achieve.       Running always does seem to help with things.      

Maybe this will make your DW smile.  That quote makes me think of the movie "Hook" with Robin Williams. Remember that re-imagining of Peter Pan from the 90s, I think? At one point some of The Lost Boys are trying to teach someone to fly and one of them, so cute, is holding up a sign that says "Tink Happy Tawts".  Makes me smile every time I think of it. 

2012-02-21 12:31 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hi guys, my turn to return from falling off the face of the earth...I have felt like absolute crud for three whole days! WTH?!? Ice pick in the sinuses + no ibuprofen because my surgeon says so (sadist) + fever + no training = unhappy Q. But these breaks happen and it appears a lot of us are having the wrong week to stop sniffing glue, so let's just get over it, drop it, and move forward, shall we?

I know there are some specific aero bar fit questions (Todd) and other information floating around plus our upcoming swim QA, so let's get back to it tomorrow, refreshed from our long weekend...

But for now I'm going to bed...see you in the morning!

Q

2012-02-21 5:59 AM

Rochester

OK so my absolutely wonderful GF is Catholic. I am not, more Protestant than anything. Well, tonight I broke a little bit and had cupcakes. Of course afterwards I felt so crappy. I hated the way I felt so much. Well, anyways on wednesday is lent for people that practice catholism you would give up something to show your sacrifice, or something like that. Well, I always support her so I decided to do 2 things. First, I am giving up anything that will or could have some type of frosting on it, that is a HUGE weakness for me. The second thing I decided to give up is HUGE for me. Almost as big as breathing. I AM GIVING UP DIET SODA. I will be free of soda for 40 whole days! To be honest, I am not sure why I even said it to her. I am friggin nuts! Seriously not sure how I am going to do but I definetly need to publicly proclaim it here.

Peter

2012-02-21 7:18 AM
in reply to: #4057727

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
peterflagg - 2012-02-21 5:59 AM

OK so my absolutely wonderful GF is Catholic. I am not, more Protestant than anything. Well, tonight I broke a little bit and had cupcakes. Of course afterwards I felt so crappy. I hated the way I felt so much. Well, anyways on wednesday is lent for people that practice catholism you would give up something to show your sacrifice, or something like that. Well, I always support her so I decided to do 2 things. First, I am giving up anything that will or could have some type of frosting on it, that is a HUGE weakness for me. The second thing I decided to give up is HUGE for me. Almost as big as breathing. I AM GIVING UP DIET SODA. I will be free of soda for 40 whole days! To be honest, I am not sure why I even said it to her. I am friggin nuts! Seriously not sure how I am going to do but I definetly need to publicly proclaim it here.

Peter

Good for you Peter!    Support your GF!

Diet Soda- (Diet pop-'round these parts)  I was 8-10 can a day guy.   I kept reading about  artificial sugar, and what it may or may not do to people.    in October of 2010 I went cold turkey and gave it up, all that artificial chemical stuff just can't be good.   Have not had one since.   So went a step further and eliminated artificial sugar from my diet   period!        Now since that time,  I have gained weight, not lost it.   I do end up drinking beer more often.     I also switched to drinking coffee black.   no sugar regular or of course artificial sugar.  

What have I noticed???   my skin is much softer/smoother,   weight gain.  And um black coffee/tea is good!     Once in a while i get some seltzer water as a treat.    Not club soda which is sweetened.     Just the water with the bubbles.   

Now that I have invested like a year and a half without it.  I wont go back to it.   But if someone were to ask me if I would do that all over again,  I'd probably say  I would stick with the diet coke.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44