BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2012-01-20 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4001514

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED

GoGoGo - 2012-01-20 11:40 AM While ken is in cayman, I am shovelling out of a snowstorm,,Aargh!!!!

I'll be thinking of ya Richard!  Cool

2012-01-20 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4001708

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2012-01-20 1:07 PM

today is weigh in day for me.  Up .2 pounds from last week. Overall loss 4 pounds. I have found that it has been dificult to lose the weight the last  few weeks as I am not getting in the cardio and resulting 500 avg calorie burn I was used to before the boot. Weights are great but they definately don't burn as many calories! I will have to hit the pool again tomorrow to try to negate some of the weekend excess.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!!!!!

Maintaining without the extra calorie burn is an accomplishment most struggle with Robin!   Do you have any sense in whether the boot is working or not yet?

2012-01-20 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4001745

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Viyoung - 2012-01-20 1:23 PM
robingray_260 - 2012-01-20 12:07 PM

today is weigh in day for me.  Up .2 pounds from last week. Overall loss 4 pounds. I have found that it has been dificult to lose the weight the last  few weeks as I am not getting in the cardio and resulting 500 avg calorie burn I was used to before the boot. Weights are great but they definately don't burn as many calories! I will have to hit the pool again tomorrow to try to negate some of the weekend excess.

Robin, I feel your pain.

This week has not been a good one for me.

Time to get back to eating healthy and exercising.  Tomorrow is my swim class, I always get a good workout there.  Missed it last week due to an ER visit for my husband.  Kidney stones, ugh.  Fortunately he's doing better and life is getting back to normal.

Kidney stones are tough! Glad he is doing better!

Have fun swimming!

2012-01-20 5:05 PM
in reply to: #4001708

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
robingray_260 - 2012-01-20 1:07 PM

maybe it's momma nature's way of keeping you insulated against all that insane snow & cold weather! Frustrating when life conspires against you. Don't give up!

2012-01-20 5:06 PM
in reply to: #4001952

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
kenj - 2012-01-20 2:50 PM

GoGoGo - 2012-01-20 11:40 AM While ken is in cayman, I am shovelling out of a snowstorm,,Aargh!!!!

I'll be thinking of ya Richard!  Cool

I bet you will...Richard, you have my SINCERE sympathies...

Innocent

2012-01-20 5:13 PM
in reply to: #3943039

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Subject: Reston Century

Russ, was that you who asked? Sorry if I'm confused - been a state of mind lately - but wanted to pass along the 2 replies I've received before I forget...

Person A: "It's very popular, I've done the metric the last two years. Hilly in some parts. I'd recommend Seagull over it, but it certainly is a nice low cost century."

Person B: "That was my first century ride ever, back on 2004 - I though it quite hilly and challenging - but that was my first year ever of this world of endurance sports, so practically no base, and no experience on Carroll or Frederick County hills, though I had done some training in Prince Willian Forest Park, which had some challenging hills (though again, that's what I thought at the time). I remember some roads were just beautiful country, some was on rail-to-trail flat paths (mostly the end) and there was never-ending pizza and hoagies at the finish line. No idea how things have changed ... Is there an elevation map online somewhere?"

Will post any more as they come. Hope it's helpful!

Alternate suggestion: Get your cousin (cousin, right?) to join you here for 24 Hours of Booty, a 24 hour charity bike ride benefitting the Livestrong Foundation & the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults...it's a closed, family-friendly 2.1 mile loop, so you can each go as hard or soft as you want to go, but still hang out together. Food/entertainment/campgrounds/showers provided for the 24 hours, and it's a blast. Last weekend in August.

Just an idea.... Wink

2012-01-20 7:34 PM
in reply to: #4002405

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Reston Century
MarlaS - 2012-01-20 5:13 PM

Russ, was that you who asked? Sorry if I'm confused - been a state of mind lately - but wanted to pass along the 2 replies I've received before I forget...

Person A: "It's very popular, I've done the metric the last two years. Hilly in some parts. I'd recommend Seagull over it, but it certainly is a nice low cost century."

Person B: "That was my first century ride ever, back on 2004 - I though it quite hilly and challenging - but that was my first year ever of this world of endurance sports, so practically no base, and no experience on Carroll or Frederick County hills, though I had done some training in Prince Willian Forest Park, which had some challenging hills (though again, that's what I thought at the time). I remember some roads were just beautiful country, some was on rail-to-trail flat paths (mostly the end) and there was never-ending pizza and hoagies at the finish line. No idea how things have changed ... Is there an elevation map online somewhere?"

Will post any more as they come. Hope it's helpful!

Alternate suggestion: Get your cousin (cousin, right?) to join you here for 24 Hours of Booty, a 24 hour charity bike ride benefitting the Livestrong Foundation & the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults...it's a closed, family-friendly 2.1 mile loop, so you can each go as hard or soft as you want to go, but still hang out together. Food/entertainment/campgrounds/showers provided for the 24 hours, and it's a blast. Last weekend in August.

Just an idea.... Wink

Thanks for the info. I am pretty sure it is this or nothing. His company sponsors a team and I am just joing in with them. I don't have to pay so cost is not an issue either. As long as I can hang with the group on the ride, I am on scholarship

2012-01-20 8:32 PM
in reply to: #4002557

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
Subject: RE: Reston Century
gator22 - 2012-01-20 8:34 PM

Thanks for the info. I am pretty sure it is this or nothing. His company sponsors a team and I am just joing in with them. I don't have to pay so cost is not an issue either. As long as I can hang with the group on the ride, I am on scholarship

Sounds hilly, but at least it sounds like a nice ride, too...

2012-01-21 1:18 PM

User image

Master
Sin City

How's everyone doing today/this weekend?

This week was a little bit of a bad week training-wise. Not gonna make any excuses, but it happened, so I just suck it up and move on. I'm just happy it's the base period before start with more serious training in a month. It helps to figure out what my schedule will be like. I feel like I just want to do one swim a week, and focus more on the run instead. Then when the training starts, I'll add in one more swim.  I have to shift my focus on my weakest sport (run) in order to get better. Last year I did 3x all sports, and I didn't see as much improvement in the run as I would have liked, then when I did the Half marathon in December, all I focused was on the run (and very undertrained btw), and that's where I saw huge improvements in endurance/times. 

However, I definitely need to get some mojo going to do the training. I blame lack of sleep (chronic insomnia sufferer). 

Today is extremely windy, so the group ride was cancelled, which is fine by me. I can put in the strength training/swim that I missed all week.

Hope everyone else had a good week, and will have a good weekend!  I know some places are snowed in (not me, but family in the East). 

2012-01-21 2:36 PM

User image

Expert
Canada

OK  DJ.

What's going on with the private log!?!!!  Can't even send you an "inspire".

Just makin' my rounds...Wink

2012-01-21 4:42 PM
in reply to: #4003388

User image

Master
Sin City
GoGoGo - 2012-01-21 12:36 PM

OK  DJ.

Sowwry! Should work now...now kick my @$$ lol. 

2012-01-21 5:14 PM
in reply to: #4003532

User image

Expert
Canada
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-21 6:42 PM
GoGoGo - 2012-01-21 12:36 PM

OK  DJ.

Sowwry! Should work now...now kick my @$$ lol. 

CoolCool

2012-01-21 5:55 PM
in reply to: #4003287

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-21 2:18 PM

This week was a little bit of a bad week training-wise. Not gonna make any excuses, but it happened, so I just suck it up and move on. I'm just happy it's the base period before start with more serious training in a month. It helps to figure out what my schedule will be like. I feel like I just want to do one swim a week, and focus more on the run instead. Then when the training starts, I'll add in one more swim.  I have to shift my focus on my weakest sport (run) in order to get better. Last year I did 3x all sports, and I didn't see as much improvement in the run as I would have liked, then when I did the Half marathon in December, all I focused was on the run (and very undertrained btw), and that's where I saw huge improvements in endurance/times. 

However, I definitely need to get some mojo going to do the training. I blame lack of sleep (chronic insomnia sufferer). 

Today is extremely windy, so the group ride was cancelled, which is fine by me. I can put in the strength training/swim that I missed all week.

Hope everyone else had a good week, and will have a good weekend!  I know some places are snowed in (not me, but family in the East). 

Weeks happen. Hell, I had a MONTH. Was on a great roll, too, getting back into things this week til the snow today. Really not much I guess by anyone else's standards, but any = a lot for my wimpy southern self. I also have enough trouble on dry pavement, let alone ice/snow covered running routes.

Hear you on the sleep thing, too. Trouble falling asleep, or staying asleep? Melatonin seems to be helping me with sleep onset, I think, but between dental woes & my bladder I don't remember the last time I slept through the night non-stop... might also help if I consistently tried an earlier bedtime....

2012-01-21 7:37 PM
in reply to: #4003620

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
MarlaS - 2012-01-21 3:55 PM

Hear you on the sleep thing, too. Trouble falling asleep, or staying asleep? Melatonin seems to be helping me with sleep onset, I think, but between dental woes & my bladder I don't remember the last time I slept through the night non-stop... might also help if I consistently tried an earlier bedtime....

Yikes, sounds like we've got a group of insomniacs on our list! I'm in the same boat. I wake up about 6-7 times a night. It's been going on for 20+ years now. I had some surgery a couple of years ago to rid myself of sleep apnea. I also take a handful of medication to quell restless legs. But I haven't had non-stop sleep night since the mid-1980s. I sometimes think triathlons are a piece of cake compared to getting a good night's sleep!

2012-01-22 9:28 AM

User image

Expert
Canada

Mornin' folks,

Another 6.7 miles on treadmill for me this morning.

Trying to get a running base back.

Hope y'all having fun...

2012-01-22 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4004254

User image

Regular
Denver
GoGoGo - 2012-01-22 9:28 AM

GoGoGo - I have about the same... I'm sure it would help if I got out of bed!!!!  :/   Will post up when I'm done.  My training week has been sub-optimal... not too bad, but definitely not ideal.

Couple that with poor eating, poor sleeping, and anxiety about my new job and its impact on my training schedule... it's now a winning combination. 

Hoping to put a better, more consistent "foot forward" starting Monday.

~Carla

2012-01-22 9:53 AM

User image

Regular
Denver
CyborgQueen - 2012-01-21 1:18 PM

CyborgQueen - Hang in there with your training.  I'm drawn to your post because you have touched on something that has been flooding my own mind... that is "Focusing on my weakest sport (bike)".

While I do like training all three sports 3x per week, what I am struggling with is the Low Zone 2 "Stuff" and the Swimming Drills, which  to this minute I feel are a general waste of time!  I would rather focus on building at least the base that I want, 'cause I don't want to wait too long then try to "pile on the miles" with 10 weeks to go!  I have a request in to talk with my coach... and I hope that the discussion we have will be more comforting than I am able to do on my own.

Training for "Single Sport" is very different and I, too, have seen amazing improvement in myself when I focus on single sport.  Problem is, we are triathletes... so we need to at least keep our other sports "alive". 

Hugs to you and Private Message if you want to continue this dialog as you work through what blend of training would be best!

~Carla

2012-01-22 9:58 AM

User image

Regular
Denver

*  Power Meters       * Training with Power      * Power Testing Protocols

QOTD:  Who has trained with power and seen results of this specific type of training?

I know we  had a discussion earlier related to Power and Testing Protocols, etc... but I'd like to bring that back up again.

I just got the SRAM Quarq GXP Powermeter Compact Crank (S975) and plan to test my Threshold power using 2 x 20 min Testing Protocol.  Not looking forward to hurting for 40 min but if it means I finish my next Ironman in June it will be worth the effort.

2012-01-22 10:25 AM
in reply to: #4004292

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
CarlaLThompson - 2012-01-22 9:58 AM

QOTD:  Who has trained with power and seen results of this specific type of training?

I know we  had a discussion earlier related to Power and Testing Protocols, etc... but I'd like to bring that back up again.

I just got the SRAM Quarq GXP Powermeter Compact Crank (S975) and plan to test my Threshold power using 2 x 20 min Testing Protocol.  Not looking forward to hurting for 40 min but if it means I finish my next Ironman in June it will be worth the effort.

Training with power is incredibly helpful if you have the spendable cash.  Unsure the benefit to the weekend warrior justifies the price tag.  I use Power Tap.  It was awesome with a trainer alone but incredible with a computrainer.  My coach can send me workout files and the computer "tells" me what to do. 

2012-01-22 10:43 AM
in reply to: #4004313

User image

Regular
Denver
IceMan - My problem with the computrainer is it feels too "Grabby" when the tension is on the wheel. If I liked the computrainer more I would consider getting one but so far I do not enjoy feeling like my rear break is stuck.Interesting comment about receiving files from your coach... that would be great... I just wonder if I would be stuck with a grabby session instead of a smooth ride on my Cycle Ops.
2012-01-22 1:23 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I guess we all have bad weeks now and then DJ!  Just get back at again this week and you wont miss a beat!

2012-01-22 1:24 PM
in reply to: #4003744

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
sdswriter - 2012-01-21 8:37 PM

Yikes, sounds like we've got a group of insomniacs on our list! I'm in the same boat. I wake up about 6-7 times a night. It's been going on for 20+ years now. I had some surgery a couple of years ago to rid myself of sleep apnea. I also take a handful of medication to quell restless legs. But I haven't had non-stop sleep night since the mid-1980s. I sometimes think triathlons are a piece of cake compared to getting a good night's sleep!

Yikes, I fortunately don't have that problem.  I know when I don't get my "beauty" sleep, my training really suffers!

2012-01-22 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4004254

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
GoGoGo - 2012-01-22 10:28 AM

Mornin' folks,

Hope y'all having fun...

Great job Richard!  Glad to see you back running consistantly and not having the issues you had last year!

I had a nice 11 miler myself this morning, wont say under what conditions though! Innocent

2012-01-22 1:36 PM
in reply to: #4004313

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2012-01-22 11:25 AM
CarlaLThompson - 2012-01-22 9:58 AM

Training with power is incredibly helpful if you have the spendable cash.  Unsure the benefit to the weekend warrior justifies the price tag.  I use Power Tap.  It was awesome with a trainer alone but incredible with a computrainer.  My coach can send me workout files and the computer "tells" me what to do. 

I agree with Ice on training with power, it is not inexpensive, but if you have a coach or a plan that you can follow and understand, the value of training with power is very valuable and you should see impressive gains, assuming you stay consistant with following your plan.

I have used 2 downloaded plans, the Jorge plan from this site is the one I am currently using and seeing 5- 7% gains every 4 weeks.  Curious what I would see when I don't miss a week a month of riding due to my travels.  I should be able to find out when I get home from this current trip as I should be home through the end of February, other than 1 over nighter in Feb. 

Carla, I am interested in how you do with the Quarq.  I currently have  PT, but am considering switching to the Quarq or the forth coming Garmin pedal system.  I am thinking of doing this for 2 reasons, one better choice of wheels, the other is so I can switch it between bikes. 

ETA, one other thing I will add about training with power, is there is no hiding from the results.  If you do the work it will show in the numbers.  If you do the work, you will also see the results.  I used to struggle with pushing myself hard enough on the bike. 

Edited by kenj 2012-01-22 1:38 PM
2012-01-22 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4003744

User image

Expert
Illinois
sdswriter - 2012-01-21 7:37 PM

I am in this club too. I will sleep for about 4 hours, then my brain kicks into some kind of bizarre 45 minute sleep cycle. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72