BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 68

2013-07-25 11:45 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed
Ran 5 w the pup today. Haven't run with him in a while bc of all the jerking & lunging (new to leash)but last night i took him to my daughters softball game and did a few laps around an adjacent field w him. He did really well on leash so got brave and took him this morn. At about mi 4 he slowed down. I thought he needed to pee so I stopped and the kid laid down right there -like sprawled out panting in exhaustion! Tired dog? Funny.

Tomorrow we head to Fla to board the Disney Fantasy boat. 7days in Eastern Caribbean. So stinking excited!!! .. Mostly because my kids have NO IDEA we are going! They think we are going "camping". Haha! Was hoping to keep it secret till we actually board the boat but not sure it's possible. Working on the dialogue for that.

So um training next week is ..um unlikely.

2013-07-25 12:09 PM
in reply to: EV3110

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Originally posted by EV3110

Ran 5 w the pup today. Haven't run with him in a while bc of all the jerking & lunging (new to leash)but last night i took him to my daughters softball game and did a few laps around an adjacent field w him. He did really well on leash so got brave and took him this morn. At about mi 4 he slowed down. I thought he needed to pee so I stopped and the kid laid down right there -like sprawled out panting in exhaustion! Tired dog? Funny.

Tomorrow we head to Fla to board the Disney Fantasy boat. 7days in Eastern Caribbean. So stinking excited!!! .. Mostly because my kids have NO IDEA we are going! They think we are going "camping". Haha! Was hoping to keep it secret till we actually board the boat but not sure it's possible. Working on the dialogue for that.

Holy smokes, we're doing the exact same cruise on August 24th!! Same boat, route, etc. I've already checked out the workout possibilities. They have daily spin classes, other fitness center events, and a 5k race the morning you arrive in Castaway Cay! You get a race #, etc. Register on board (no fee). I'm going to do it! our cruise is 5 days after I do my next HIM, so my training will be minimal, but not being one to want to sit still, I'm sure I'll find my way to the gym or into the 5k race. Awesome that the kids don't know. We tried that with our last one, and my nosy oldest child found out 5 days before we were to go.

Tired dogs are good dogs!
2013-07-25 2:18 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Here's another vote for "my race pictures suck"! I truly wish they would not send them via e-mail tempting me to look in hopes that I might actually resemble a triathlete. Every time my hopes are dashed!

Cruises sound great! I've heard that Disney does them up right. Have fun!

Elena, LOL on your dog. We have one that will lay down in the grass, roll around scratching her back, and then just grin up at me. Usually when she is getting tired, or when there is a particularly nice patch of grass in the shade. Just have to laugh and appreciate how they embrace the moment!

30 miles on the bike followed by a short swim today. Rhett is there, but was tolerable. I just am not pushing any big gears on the hills. See the doc tomorrow, so hopefully can come up with a plan on all that.
2013-07-25 2:55 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Mike - How do you like those suffer fest videos?

That cruise sounds fun! We were talking about one in a few years.

Elena - I've tried with my dog Maggie but she just won't do the leash thing well while running. The hard stops almost tear my arm off! I'm glad you get to run with your dog. I'm sure he loved and appreciated it.

Carol. I feel for your pain. Get that thing better somehow!

I did a decent run this morn. Just over 4 miles at 8:22 pace. Still slow compared to where I used to be but patience is a virtue.

So I filmed a video for my business. If you want to check out what I do you can take a look...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEu73J_HJTg&feature=em-upload_owner
2013-07-25 3:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Mitch - that is really cool. Never thought of that combo for a drink, but thats why you are the pro and I'm just a consumer

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Sufferfest. Great videos, fun, funny, motivating, and they are fantastic workouts. Makes the trainer fun. (Yes, makes it FUN).

Can't recommend them enough.

Mike

Edited by Mike_D 2013-07-25 3:04 PM
2013-07-25 3:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Originally posted by Mike_D

Holy smokes, we're doing the exact same cruise on August 24th!! Same boat, route, etc. I've already checked out the workout possibilities. They have daily spin classes, other fitness center events, and a 5k race the morning you arrive in Castaway Cay! You get a race #, etc. Register on board (no fee). I'm going to do it! our cruise is 5 days after I do my next HIM, so my training will be minimal, but not being one to want to sit still, I'm sure I'll find my way to the gym or into the 5k race. Awesome that the kids don't know. We tried that with our last one, and my nosy oldest child found out 5 days before we were to go.

Omgosh!! That is awesome! Have you done Disnet yet? Out first. I know they have the boat gym but that last cruise we took (8yrs ago) I felt nauseous after my on-board workouts. Maybe due to boat in motion? I will try it again. Will def look into the 5k race in Cataway Cay! Hope that's during my cruise too. Soooo excited.!!!

2013-07-25 3:41 PM
in reply to: Mitchparadise

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Originally posted by Mitchparadise

So I filmed a video for my business. If you want to check out what I do you can take a look...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEu73J_HJTg&feature=em-upload_owner

Very cool Mitch! I like the set! The drink sounds like my kind of drink! Congrats looks great!! You are a handsome man too! btw I don't do much YouTube but will I be able to subscribe to your posts? Will you add on?
2013-07-25 4:34 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Elena, thanks for posting the Jesse Thomas video. Geez, he wasn't even limping as he finished!

Steve, hope your family enjoys a cool night!

Mike, did you go to PT today? How is that going?

Mitch, that drink looked really yummy! Never would have thought of adding basil.

Think I may have found a back way into a really nice long paved trail that is near where I rode today. Only problem is...about 0.8 miles of dirt trail to connect up to it. Wonder how stupid it would be to give that a try on my road bike?
2013-07-25 6:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Quick post for me. Leaving for the beach tomorrow so will probably be off the grid until mid week.

Sorry I haven't posted this week. Dead computer at home. Could read the posts at work but our policies keep me from posting online at work.

Mike, your daughter is adorable! So glad she enjoyed her tri.

Carol, hope .the doc can help with Rhett. Let us know how it goes.fun

Elena have fun on the cruise.

Gotta go check out that video of Mitch's.

Editted to add. Just saw Mitch's video. I'm going to have to make that for hubby sometime. He is thrilled with his two basil plants is adding basil to so many items when cooking. He'll love the idea of a drink with the basil.

Edited by Pink Socks 2013-07-25 7:05 PM
2013-07-25 7:47 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
back from PT, and it worked out well. Spent much of the session going through an evaluation, then a review of what the issue is. Upper hamstring strain (no surprise there). A lesson in muscular anatomy & physiology about what is wrong, why it won't heal, and a list of things we need to do to get it back in top shape. Stretching, heat/ice, easy movement are among the main things. Can I continue to run? She recommended an elliptical machine for running (not the cross country ski type, but a running type one) and try to avoid road running for several days. will take a bit to get it on the road to recovery, but felt very confident about the therapist, and about the first session. Swim & bike all I want is OK.
2013-07-25 8:55 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Originally posted by Mike_D

Omgosh!! That is awesome! Have you done Disnet yet? Out first. I know they have the boat gym but that last cruise we took (8yrs ago) I felt nauseous after my on-board workouts. Maybe due to boat in motion? I will try it again. Will def look into the 5k race in Cataway Cay! Hope that's during my cruise too. Soooo excited.!!!

We did one 2 years ago. First rate all the way. I think they do the 5k on every cruise

2013-07-26 9:43 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor -Group- Closed
Elena, hope you have a great cruise!

Pam, off to the beach....hope you relax and enjoy.

Mike, I think I'm just a bit behind you. X-rays today, and have first PT appointment on Monday. Plan is if xray reveals nothing with low back, will start PT, and see how that goes. If PT doesn't make headway, then MRI. For now no running (not a big sacrifice since every step hurts), and only very easy spinning. Can still swim, so maybe I'll become a fish .
2013-07-26 11:27 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
On the bike you can still fry your hamstring if you work intensity... so don't 8). On the swim you would have to do some funk push off the wall to tweak your hamy. Ya the elyptical is recommended for like all muscle pulls. Non impact. I think it took me 18 months before I never felt my hamstring twing every once in a while. Although I was functional after 6 weeks, just no overstriding running downhill or cranking up hills hard. Also I rode on the horns because aero put more pressure on my hamstring, something to keep in mind.

Backs are tricky so I hope they can find the spot and get you on the mend and work it out.

Today's run 10:30, 9:10, 8:50, 8:14, 7:52. I think the wheelbarrow thing is making my legs a bit sluggish and am taking more care to warmup slow. Two more big build cycles... I remember when Samantha was here, this is the hardest 5 weeks of the build.

Here is the helmet I want for Christmas. In case anyone wants to do the math it saves you 3-5 minutes over an Ironman. So it is like only having to rid 110.25 miles ish instead of 112. Ya its not a need, but it is a want. It is not for sale just yet, but should be soon. Aero wheels cost about 4x to 10x as much and save you another 5 to 10 minutes for an IM. None of us are at the point where this will make or brake a podium slot probably but meh. This sport does make us like the shinny's.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_P4F32sWgGiTQ...

Edited by Baowolf 2013-07-27 12:08 AM
2013-07-27 9:42 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Steve, you are doing great and sounds like being (mostly) smart about it . And I like that the mentor is using the mentee (Samantha) as inspiration. Maybe we should take up a collection for that helmet!

Speaking of which...Samantha....helloooooo!

An Jay....how is the work schedule treating you?

Started a round of 10 days of anti-inflammatories, took the dog for a walk, and planning a swim for later today. Then there is the housework that I have been neglecting....sigh..... Hubby has done well with getting in some physical activity 4 days this week. Ha, I told him since I'm not doing as much, I'll be able to coach him more. LOL, he protests on the surface, but does like that I give him a push now and then to take care of himself. Also got a new set of tire levers, and WOW, that makes it so much easier changing a flat. I had some cheapo ones and snapped one of them the other day. Now I can say good riddance!
2013-07-27 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Steve -- that helmet looks awesome. I can't find any info on it via the magic Google machine, so what can you tell me about it?

Did 5.5 miles this AM on the run/elliptical machine (duration of 1 hour). did some stretching before & after and it all felt good. Cardio end of it was great, and I felt strong the whole time. Can't go very fast on the machine, but it makes you feel like you are running.

Hit the pool yesterday for a solo swim session (Missed masters class due to family thing) and I was really moving. Did just 2200 yards, but average time for the session was 1:27/100 or so. I think the extra large coffee I had 45 minutes before hand may have helped with a nice caffeine jolt, but was just feeling really good in the water. I need the swim leg of a tri to be much longer

Off for a long ride tomorrow AM.
2013-07-27 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Elena you make me blush!!!

Carol - I wish you well.

Steve - you are looking so strong! Keep it going!

Mike - you are a fish! those are some fast times... I'm just trying to get to the point where I can even do a masters workout again!

Knocked out a 7.84 mile run this morn. Longest and best run in quite a while! Ran with my running group and held my best pace of the year..8:40. started off a little fast but ended with the fastest mile...

Spits: 8:33, 8:35, 8:38, 8:46, 8:50, 8:51, 8:47, 8:23

Can't get my Garmin to upload for some reason...

Gonna ride 50 or so tomorrow with Jim!

2013-07-27 4:05 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Mitch - nice run! Looks like your patience is starting to pay off. Have a fun ride tomorrow.

Geez Mike, no idea how anyone moves that fast in water! Hey, have a question for you. Just found out that there is a masters swim group that will start meeting in a pool that is 2 miles from my house at relatively convenient times. Question is....at my level am I ready to try that? I don't mind being one of the slow kids, or modifying workouts to suit where I am, but I don't want to be so far outclassed that it is totally discouraging either. I'm just now back to being able to swim a mile straight, and did my first "speed" work today. By speed I mean 1:5X-2:00/100 whilst cheating on the rest between sets. Oh, and I do not know how to do any strokes other than freestyle (and some kicking on my back).
2013-07-28 1:07 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Mitch I want to be back to those run times, still hovering around 9:00 mpm. My last 5 mile run was 8:55 mpm.

The helmet is the new thing in aero helmets. Some had it for TDF and it isn't actually for sale yet that I found, but soonish. The advantages are that it is way cooler as in temperature related to airflow through the helmet, significantly lighter, but maintains the aerodynamic benefits of the larger heavier hotter helmets.

So my hill o pain rides (10.75 miles with 1900 feet of elevation gain) 1:08, 1:08, 1:05, 1:05 and today 1:03:15. I did cheat and took less water today as it was only a 62 mile ride though so not sure it counts, but I will use it against my next rides.

Carol I think you just go to the masters swim class and live their until you are fast. They typically have the fast guys at one end and then each lane gets slower. I think typically the slow lanes are around 2:00/100. Swims typically are broken up into specific sets, so not continuous swim of a mile. You can always talk to the coach type person ahead of time if you have specific questions.
2013-07-28 7:56 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Originally posted by squirt

Mitch - nice run! Looks like your patience is starting to pay off. Have a fun ride tomorrow.

Geez Mike, no idea how anyone moves that fast in water! Hey, have a question for you. Just found out that there is a masters swim group that will start meeting in a pool that is 2 miles from my house at relatively convenient times. Question is....at my level am I ready to try that? I don't mind being one of the slow kids, or modifying workouts to suit where I am, but I don't want to be so far outclassed that it is totally discouraging either. I'm just now back to being able to swim a mile straight, and did my first "speed" work today. By speed I mean 1:5X-2:00/100 whilst cheating on the rest between sets. Oh, and I do not know how to do any strokes other than freestyle (and some kicking on my back).

I'd agree with what Steve said, and have found that they welcome everyone who wants to swim. Definitely go!! It will be the best thing you ever do for your swimming. I was a 1:5x/100 when I started my masters class. It helps!!! I can't do much other than freestyle and call it a proper swim stroke, and they'll likely teach what you want to learn.
2013-07-28 12:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Thanks Steve. The run came out of no where! Been. struggling lately so it feels good.

Supposed to do a ride with Jim this morn. Woke to thundershowers. I did wait till it dried up and got in a nice 31 miler. Started raining when I got to the beach so I turned around and went home. No need to crash...
2013-07-28 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Thanks Steve & Mike for the input on masters swimming. I'll likely give it a try this week (assuming it will not interfere with PT).

Mitch, yes, better safe than sorry, but glad you got in some riding!

2013-07-28 2:48 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
So this morning the legs actually worked... mile splits 9:24, 8:20, 8:16, 7:58, 8:03, 8:04, 8:03, 7:45, 7:30. It was not a long run, but am very happy with those times, especially considering where my times have been, 8:13 mpm overall, including the warmup mile. Lots of home repairs gona cost me some $$, oh well. Temps are supposed to drop below 100s by the end of the week, so that would be nice. Lots of smoke in the area, must be some big fires to the west. Last couple days for our OCD types to get their numbers rounded up for July...
2013-07-28 3:07 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Steve -- the helmet is called the "Evade". Should be showing up in shops any day now. MSRP is $250. I'm definitely checking it out, and hope the street price isn't quite so high.
2013-07-28 11:05 PM
in reply to: jhight

User image

Veteran
Hi Everyone! I honestly don't know how my absence from the group effects any of you, but I feel bad that I haven't managed my time well enough to keep up with you all because I care about all that is going on with you. So I apologize for not keeping up more. On a positive note, I've been getting more involved with the community and spending time establishing friendships, which I haven't had time for since I moved back to Idaho after being gone for 5 years. More good news is I got the job at the hospital and I start on August 19th. More money and free medical, dental, vision. There are other perks as well. I've done a number of open water swims and one run. Very slow restart, but I think as the temperature cools down I'll be more inspired to get out and run/bike. I will be going on my first post-IM bike tomorrow with a friend and I'm excited about that.

Carol - I love your love of vacationing and I want to take a real one someday So pleased to read about how blessed you feel! I often get radiating pain and I attribute it is sciatica and I use anything hard (foam roller, Nalgene water bottle, baseball, etc) to lay on and roll around my low back and bum area. I have also laid on my stomach and had someone sit directly on my tailbone area and put all their weight on it and it helps relieve the pressure of the pinched nerve. Yes to the master's class!

Pam - I often have forgotten to bring food on runs and I wonder why I can't seem to get it right too.

Steve - your training is still as consistent as ever and oh so inspiring/exhausting I love to hear your confidence going into IMTahoe bceause I'm praying you have a really awesome race! And how did the AC b-day present go over? Last build cycle...ugh. That was the hardest part for sure. I'll never forget my last attempted long ride and how I crawled into bed and couldn't convince myself to get up and finish it. I can't wait to stalk you at Tahoe and meet you in CDA2014!

Mike - your little lady is so cute and what another cool tri experience for her and for the family. I love it! Glad you have a recovery plan in motion now.

Jared - I hope you get your tri bike up and running soon cause it'll be a fun and different experience!

Elena - Have a blast on your cruise vacation! I think Steve has said his dog runs and hides when running is brought up.

Mitch - I gonna watch your video link as soon as I'm done here Very nice run pace!

2013-07-28 11:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Mitch - loved the video and that drink looks awesome. What a cool job. If I ever get married and have lots of money I'm hiring you to work the bar
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 68