of 44

2013-09-12 5:21 AM
in reply to: mbehr1983

User image

Expert
Noosa
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN
Originally posted by mbehr1983

No racing here but am doing my last long day of training before Augusta. 1.2 swim, 56m bike and 7 m run.

What are the things you focus on your last training session? what is your goal of this session mental or physical and why?

No racing here, I'm meeting some old friends for a bike ride on Saturday, big occasion for me since I normally ride alone. We're doing a circuit of the Noosa tri bike course to ease the nerves of one of my old Uni friends who's doing Noosa as her first Oly this year.

Last training session focus? Firstly get it done to the best of my ability, secondly, really take note of any problems and sort these out before race day. And don't get injured...!

2013-09-12 5:57 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

No racing here but am doing my last long day of training before Augusta. 1.2 swim, 56m bike and 7 m run.

What are the things you focus on your last training session? what is your goal of this session mental or physical and why?

No racing for me.  I finally have a weekend with nothing that I have to get accomplished.  There are a lot of things I "should" do, but I'm looking forward to some down time. 

That last long training session for me is always a chance to mentally think through my race and finalize my plan.  Is everything on the bike working properly?  Do I have everything I'm going to need for nutrition? (last minute shopping stresses me out).  Do I need to practice my transitions?  It's also a chance to reflect on all of the training that I've put in to get ready for the race and remind myself to relax, be confident, and trust the training. 

We've got to have some racers out there......where are you?

2013-09-12 9:29 AM
in reply to: jfought

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Hey all,
Been lurking nut havent had much to say. Until now!!!

We had the Tour of Alberta last week. 1st Annual (Hopefully)
A few big names were here - Cadel Evans, Peter Sagen to name a couple.
Was amazing to see that calibre of racing close up.

As well, I rode in a Cross race last night!!! Dino/Tony is was awesome. I did learn I need knobby tires on my bike!!
2013-09-12 9:33 AM
in reply to: TrevorC

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Originally posted by TrevorC

Hey all,
Been lurking but haven't had much to say. Until now!!!

We had the Tour of Alberta last week. 1st Annual (Hopefully)
A few big names were here - Cadel Evans, Peter Sagen to name a couple.
Was amazing to see that calibre of racing close up.

As well, I rode in a Cross race last night!!! Dino/Tony it was awesome. I did learn I need knobby tires on my bike!!
2013-09-12 10:35 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Long time lurker and my ears were burning.........

Originally posted by TrevorC Hey all, Been lurking nut havent had much to say. Until now!!! We had the Tour of Alberta last week. 1st Annual (Hopefully) A few big names were here - Cadel Evans, Peter Sagen to name a couple. Was amazing to see that calibre of racing close up. As well, I rode in a Cross race last night!!! Dino/Tony is was awesome. I did learn I need knobby tires on my bike!!

Simply AWESOME with the CX race!  Welcome to the addiction!  My Cross racing season starts this weekend and runs almost every weekend (sometimes both Sat & Sun) into January..... if I make it to Nationals in Boulder.  My first National Level UCI sanctioned race is next weekend on Saturday and Sunday, so that will answer some of my training and national level aspiration questions for the season.   

I plan on racing both Masters and Singlespeed this year in our local series, so it should be a fun and interesting season.  I am very ready to "pin the numbers on," it has been several months since the State Championships.   

What are the things you focus on your last training session? what is your goal of this session mental or physical and why  

A different take on your last work out for some of  your shorter races and all your bike races.  They are called openers, because they help "open up" your legs for race day.  

Basically to keep it simple it is done the day before the race:  The workout duration is just an hour long, but in the workout you do 5×10 second sprints at about 150%-200% FTP (As HARD AS YOU CAN FOR 10 SECONDS), and 3×1 minute efforts at your TT pace, or approximately at threshold or 100% FTP. The sprints should be hard. In between each sprint recover for 3 minutes.  Make sure you take in some recovery carbs immediately following this workout and you will feel the difference the next day.......  

Good Luck to all our Racers.... REPRESENT!!!  

P.S. After working IM-Moo last week, just want to re-stress that ALL you IM'ers are an inspiration! A little f'n crazy but an inspiration all the same!    

2013-09-12 5:34 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

No racing here.  For my last long day, I think it was mostly physical, i.e., get it done and do it according to plan.   There was also a very positive mental aspect to accomplishing that last long day.  You are done and it is just time to coast towards race day.   

2013-09-13 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Maryland

I'm not racing this weekend. The lasts Long training session is one where I practice pre-fueling, during event fueling, and recovery fuel. I wear the same gear and try to hydrate at the same times. I visualize myself being strong and relaxed.
Good luck to our racing peeps!
2013-09-13 2:46 PM
in reply to: swbkrun

User image

Extreme Veteran
Gig Harbor
I would love to join please.

:0

I live/train/play in Seattle.

I am always looking to improve in SBR and I love reading everybody's stories!

-Natalie
2013-09-13 7:03 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Not racing - not for 9 more days.  Taper madness has hit - yikes.  Zach has a nasty cold, and an Oly tomorrow.  I'm trying to be supportive and not breathe around him at the same time.  AND I had a bit too much wine last night with a friend - rookie mistake, and I'm paying for it now.  DUMBDUMBDUMB.

Last big workouts I try to prove it to myself that I can do this......last few before the big day are about reining it in.....

2013-09-13 8:50 PM
in reply to: The Nat

User image

Expert
Noosa
Originally posted by The NatI would love to join please.:0I live/train/play in Seattle.I am always looking to improve in SBR and I love reading everybody's stories!-Natalie

Hi Natalie, it'd be great if you want to join us, please post lots and let us know all about you, any dogs, any kids, previous tris etc???

We've got a few people from Seattle here. Welcome!
2013-09-13 8:53 PM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Expert
Noosa
Originally posted by velcromom

Not racing - not for 9 more days.  Taper madness has hit - yikes.  Zach has a nasty cold, and an Oly tomorrow.  I'm trying to be supportive and not breathe around him at the same time.  AND I had a bit too much wine last night with a friend - rookie mistake, and I'm paying for it now.  DUMBDUMBDUMB.

Last big workouts I try to prove it to myself that I can do this......last few before the big day are about reining it in.....

Enjoy the taper, you've done some BIG climbs since your trip to Tahoe, give those legs a rest! Also, what's a good Californian red you'd recommend that I might be able to buy here in Australia?

2013-09-14 6:56 AM
in reply to: The Nat

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Originally posted by The Nat I would love to join please. :0 I live/train/play in Seattle. I am always looking to improve in SBR and I love reading everybody's stories! -Natalie

Welcome to the crazy train, Natalie.  This group has experience that runs a mile deep and just as wide.  We have people who are into everything from crossfit (kim), crit & cyclocross (dino, trevor,tony) trail running (Samantha, Julia, Kyla, Steve, Ryan), Amazing fishes (Kyla), and killer triathletes (Suzy, Linda(s), David(s), Chet, Dan, Nadine, Mike).  

I tried to take a peek at your logs and they are restricted.  It's really helpful if you can open your logs up so we can see what you're training looks like.

2013-09-14 7:00 AM
in reply to: badgerintx

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Originally posted by badgerintx

Long time lurker and my ears were burning.........

Originally posted by TrevorC Hey all, Been lurking nut havent had much to say. Until now!!! We had the Tour of Alberta last week. 1st Annual (Hopefully) A few big names were here - Cadel Evans, Peter Sagen to name a couple. Was amazing to see that calibre of racing close up. As well, I rode in a Cross race last night!!! Dino/Tony is was awesome. I did learn I need knobby tires on my bike!!

Simply AWESOME with the CX race!  Welcome to the addiction!  My Cross racing season starts this weekend and runs almost every weekend (sometimes both Sat & Sun) into January..... if I make it to Nationals in Boulder.  My first National Level UCI sanctioned race is next weekend on Saturday and Sunday, so that will answer some of my training and national level aspiration questions for the season.   

I plan on racing both Masters and Singlespeed this year in our local series, so it should be a fun and interesting season.  I am very ready to "pin the numbers on," it has been several months since the State Championships.   

What are the things you focus on your last training session? what is your goal of this session mental or physical and why  

A different take on your last work out for some of  your shorter races and all your bike races.  They are called openers, because they help "open up" your legs for race day.  

Basically to keep it simple it is done the day before the race:  The workout duration is just an hour long, but in the workout you do 5×10 second sprints at about 150%-200% FTP (As HARD AS YOU CAN FOR 10 SECONDS), and 3×1 minute efforts at your TT pace, or approximately at threshold or 100% FTP. The sprints should be hard. In between each sprint recover for 3 minutes.  Make sure you take in some recovery carbs immediately following this workout and you will feel the difference the next day.......  

Good Luck to all our Racers.... REPRESENT!!!  

P.S. After working IM-Moo last week, just want to re-stress that ALL you IM'ers are an inspiration! A little f'n crazy but an inspiration all the same!    

Very exciting, Dino.  I will look forward to the entertaining stories and pics EVERY WEEKEND!!  Love those crazy cross stories.  You guys are a little crazy, but that's why we love you Wink

2013-09-14 4:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
Augusta simulation in the books. Felt confident in all 3 phases! Augusta I am ready! 4:51 for 1.2 swim 56 bike and 10k. I should be able to go sub 7
2013-09-14 5:34 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Originally posted by mbehr1983 Augusta simulation in the books. Felt confident in all 3 phases! Augusta I am ready! 4:51 for 1.2 swim 56 bike and 10k. I should be able to go sub 7

Nice job Mike.   What plan are you using that you had two race simulations so close together?

2013-09-14 7:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia
Nice job, Mike. You got this!!

2013-09-14 10:13 PM
in reply to: copa2251

User image

Master
Originally posted by copa2251

Enjoy the taper, you've done some BIG climbs since your trip to Tahoe, give those legs a rest! Also, what's a good Californian red you'd recommend that I might be able to buy here in Australia?

Not sure what you can get there.  I like all of the Zinfandels that Seghesio makes - especially Omaggio & Venom.  Beringer Reserves, Flora Springs single vineyards, Silver Oak is always good.....

2013-09-15 5:25 AM

User image

Master
Maryland

Augusta simulation in the books. Felt confident in all 3 phases! Augusta I am ready! 4:51 for 1.2 swim 56 bike and 10k. I should be able to go sub 7

Nice job! The work is done, you are ready to rock and roll!!
2013-09-15 12:31 PM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

New user
Welcome, Natalie! And good luck, Mike!!!

No racing this weekend, but I did just do my first official brick workout. My sprint is just a 22k bike and a 5k run, so I rode a little over 16 miles this morning and did a 2 mile run after. My legs felt like spaghetti and it felt like I was going super slow, but when I looked at the Garmin at the end... I actually had a decent run! That was a nice surprise and a bit of a confidence booster. I think the distance is not going to be a problem on race day, but I wouldn't mind getting a little faster on the bike!
2013-09-16 9:28 AM
in reply to: JillB

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Total Mudfest this weekend.  FYI, racing in the mud is really hard.  Lots of fun, but really hard.  You can't believe the power needed to push through this muck while racing. 

And what's better than pictures ..................   Video       ......  from a teammates go pro.  For those of you that don't truly understand Cyclocross, take the time to watch a full lap of this video and you will get a real good understanding quickly.  Yes, you get that mud spray on your face also and no, you usually don't wear glasses because then you can't see at all.  

I have washed both the bikes 3x and they are still dirty.  Hope my shoes dry out soon!

Finished 8th in Singlespeed and 11th in Masters race from the video.   

2013-09-16 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Originally posted by badgerintx

Total Mudfest this weekend.  FYI, racing in the mud is really hard.  Lots of fun, but really hard.  You can't believe the power needed to push through this muck while racing. 

And what's better than pictures ..................   Video       ......  from a teammates go pro.  For those of you that don't truly understand Cyclocross, take the time to watch a full lap of this video and you will get a real good understanding quickly.  Yes, you get that mud spray on your face also and no, you usually don't wear glasses because then you can't see at all.  

I have washed both the bikes 3x and they are still dirty.  Hope my shoes dry out soon!

Finished 8th in Singlespeed and 11th in Masters race from the video.   

Great job, Dino.  You are one tough mofo.  I love this video, but the speed scares the heck out of me.  I don't like to fall down.

I can only imaging from running in some serious mud on the trails what it must be like to bike in those conditions.  Fun yes, but oh so tiring.

2013-09-16 8:52 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Thanks for sharing the video Dino - that looks really tough.  
2013-09-16 10:29 PM

User image

Master

Great video, Dino - I sent it to Jeff.  He will enjoy it.  ME??  I don't like mud, or dirt.  Or, really, let's be honest, speed.  So I'm out.  Back to my taper eating. 

and packing. 

and weather watching.

SNOW??!?!?!?!   They're predicting SNOW.    Oy.

Cool

2013-09-17 4:50 PM

User image

Master
I never see fit to clean my chain or my bike when I just ride it on the roads. (That is, when I ride a bike, which I have yet to do this year...) I will never do Cyclocross until I can afford to ride a new bike each weekend. Just ditch the old one, and get a shiny, new clean one!! Translation: I'll never do cyclocross.
2013-09-18 3:53 AM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Expert
Noosa

Great video, Dino - I sent it to Jeff.  He will enjoy it.  ME??  I don't like mud, or dirt.  Or, really, let's be honest, speed.  So I'm out.  Back to my taper eating. 

and packing. 

and weather watching.

SNOW??!?!?!?!   They're predicting SNOW.    Oy.

Cool

Should be a great story to tell in the future, snow, altitude, fires, mountains! With IM Whistler having bears on the run course these new iron mans are getting interesting!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44