of 78

2008-08-05 9:25 AM
in reply to: #1582177

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group - FULL
tahrens - 2008-08-05 10:20 AM

Good morning all, I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend.  I have a running question for the group.  I have finally gotten to the point where my long runs can exceed 1 hour  (yhea, that took a long time).  So the question is, what is normal foot pain associated with these distances and times, and what can I attribute to needing new shoes?  I am having foot pain along the bottom of my pinkie toe running through the arch, blisters on the bottom of my toes and really achy feet when I am done and all the next day.  I think I may be needing new shoes, but I would prefer not to drop $100 and just HTFU if that is what I can expect from long runs. What do you guys think? I would guestimate I have about 200 miles on my current shoes, but they don't look like they are falling apart. Just wondering if the soles are beginning to be compressed. 

I haven't done a lot of more than an hour run but have some under my blet. I have not experienced that kind of pain or discomfort at all. The only discomfort I had was in the leg muscles. I would suggest 2 things potentially. 1) see your doctor and 2) get to a really good running store and spent the extra money. The last thing you need is constant pain and blisters.
The last pair of shoes I bought ran about $150.00

2008-08-05 10:02 AM
in reply to: #1582177

User image

Expert
B'ham

tahrens - 2008-08-05 7:20 AM Good morning all, I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend.  I have a running question for the group.  I have finally gotten to the point where my long runs can exceed 1 hour  (yhea, that took a long time).  So the question is, what is normal foot pain associated with these distances and times, and what can I attribute to needing new shoes?  I am having foot pain along the bottom of my pinkie toe running through the arch, blisters on the bottom of my toes and really achy feet when I am done and all the next day.  I think I may be needing new shoes, but I would prefer not to drop $100 and just HTFU if that is what I can expect from long runs. What do you guys think? I would guestimate I have about 200 miles on my current shoes, but they don't look like they are falling apart. Just wondering if the soles are beginning to be compressed. 

I've been told the life expectancy of a good pair of running shoes is in the 300 mile range, MMV depending on things like weight and conditions you run in.  I don't think it's normal for your feet to ache into the next day and could very well be caused by your shoes.  I'd take your shoes into the LRS and see if they recommend replacing or maybe gel inserts for the remaining life of the shoe. 

I'd get some Body Glide for the blisters.  I was starting to get hot spots on the outside of my pinkie toes and on my left arch.  I started applying BG before my runs and no more discomfort.

2008-08-05 2:07 PM
in reply to: #1369643

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

I am so mad I am shaking!!!!  My freakin' Olympic race has been cancelled 3 weeks before the race!!!  Well, as good as cancelled!  The bike permit was pulled because a group of churches got together and complained that the bike path blocked the traffic in and out of the churches for Sunday services!!!  And because there isn't time to rework the race, they switched it to an aquathon, just the swim and run portion!   I am in tears, I can't believe this. I have worked so hard and was so excited for this race!   I'll see if there is another one that will fit into my schedule, but I don't know. Keep your fingers crossed for me. SH*T!!!!!

2008-08-05 2:14 PM
in reply to: #1583129

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
tahrens - 2008-08-05 3:07 PM

I am so mad I am shaking!!!!  My freakin' Olympic race has been cancelled 3 weeks before the race!!!  Well, as good as cancelled!  The bike permit was pulled because a group of churches got together and complained that the bike path blocked the traffic in and out of the churches for Sunday services!!!  And because there isn't time to rework the race, they switched it to an aquathon, just the swim and run portion!   I am in tears, I can't believe this. I have worked so hard and was so excited for this race!   I'll see if there is another one that will fit into my schedule, but I don't know. Keep your fingers crossed for me. SH*T!!!!!

Wow Tracy that really sucks, I am very sorry to hear that.  When is the race?  I am sure there is something else you can find, let me know and I will see what I can find if you want some help.

2008-08-05 2:37 PM
in reply to: #1583169

User image

Champion

Patriots is supposed to be a nice race, they have 102 spots left.  Same day

http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventID=943

Reston Olympic is same day but they have been full since February.

Edited by dalessit 2008-08-05 2:37 PM
2008-08-05 2:47 PM
in reply to: #1583276

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
dalessit - 2008-08-05 3:37 PM

Thanks, that is very sweet of you. This definitely has potential. Let me speak to the hubby.  It says the bike and run are flat, ya gotta love that.   Thanks again

2008-08-05 2:48 PM
in reply to: #1583129

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Aww Tracy. That really sucks. It's very poor community relations on the church's part to wait this long to put a complaint in to stop the race. It's not like this was set up last week. These races are planned well in advance. I hope they can come up with a solution or you can find another race. Good luck. All our fingers are crossed.
What time was the race scheduled to start.Maybe the organizers could push the time back?
My last one didn't even start until 3:00 in the afternoon.
2008-08-05 2:54 PM
in reply to: #1583332

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Redknight - 2008-08-05 3:48 PM

Aww Tracy. That really sucks. It's very poor community relations on the church's part to wait this long to put a complaint in to stop the race. It's not like this was set up last week. These races are planned well in advance. I hope they can come up with a solution or you can find another race. Good luck. All our fingers are crossed. What time was the race scheduled to start.Maybe the organizers could push the time back? My last one didn't even start until 3:00 in the afternoon.

It was very early, 7am.  Really, you would think they could organize the parish to work a water stop or something.  Doesn't sound like a very christian move to me.  (Sorry, I am feeling very bitter at the moment!) I'm just surprise the Chamber of Commerce caved. I mean a race with 2000 racers plus their families, that is a hell of a lot of revenue for the local economy. I called my hotel to cancel my reservation and made sure to speak to the manager and explain what happened.  I guess the all mighty dollar is not more powerful than the All Mighty himself.  As someone from my race thread said, "Jesus is a triathlete and now he's pissed."

2008-08-05 3:30 PM
in reply to: #1583328

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2008-08-05 3:47 PM
dalessit - 2008-08-05 3:37 PM

Thanks, that is very sweet of you. This definitely has potential. Let me speak to the hubby.  It says the bike and run are flat, ya gotta love that.   Thanks again

With Annapolis cancelling basically you might want to sign up quickly, that is the closest alternative.

I have heard from alot that like the race also and yeah it is supposed to be really flat.

I can't believe they did that, it's a pretty big race 2k people is no joke.

2008-08-05 3:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

That stinks Tracy Cry

I would not be happy if that happened to me before my olympic next month.  The city council here in Austin has put together a task force to try to stop (or limit) the # of races and events downtown due to traffic.   

2008-08-05 3:47 PM
in reply to: #1583363

User image

Expert
B'ham
tahrens - 2008-08-05 12:54 PM

Aww Tracy. That really sucks. It's very poor community relations on the church's part to wait this long to put a complaint in to stop the race. It's not like this was set up last week. These races are planned well in advance. I hope they can come up with a solution or you can find another race. Good luck. All our fingers are crossed. What time was the race scheduled to start.Maybe the organizers could push the time back? My last one didn't even start until 3:00 in the afternoon.

It was very early, 7am.  Really, you would think they could organize the parish to work a water stop or something.  Doesn't sound like a very christian move to me.  (Sorry, I am feeling very bitter at the moment!) I'm just surprise the Chamber of Commerce caved. I mean a race with 2000 racers plus their families, that is a hell of a lot of revenue for the local economy. I called my hotel to cancel my reservation and made sure to speak to the manager and explain what happened.  I guess the all mighty dollar is not more powerful than the All Mighty himself.  As someone from my race thread said, "Jesus is a triathlete and now he's pissed."

Sorry to hear that Tracy, I'd be more than a little upset if a race got changed like that on such short notice.  Hopefully you can get into that other race. 

The article that I read said that safety was the primary reason the permit was not granted, the bike course was on a couple high-traffic streets and the church complaint wasn't the primary reason for not granting the permit. 

Jesus wasn't a triathlete, he walked on the water....

2008-08-05 4:05 PM
in reply to: #1583590

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
cadmus - 2008-08-05 4:47 PM
tahrens - 2008-08-05 12:54 PM

Sorry to hear that Tracy, I'd be more than a little upset if a race got changed like that on such short notice.  Hopefully you can get into that other race. 

The article that I read said that safety was the primary reason the permit was not granted, the bike course was on a couple high-traffic streets and the church complaint wasn't the primary reason for not granting the permit. 

Jesus wasn't a triathlete, he walked on the water....

Yes, that is the "official" report. But there were several previous articles where the churches were complaining and the reports of the racers that live in the area were hearing the same thing.  Either way, wouldn't all the businesses and police be consulted when the permit was applied for and wasn't THAT the time to complain? The routes were published at least 3 weeks ago and I'll bet the routes were approved before they published them. I'm sorry, but I have a hard time buying that the police would approve the route and then change thier minds for safety when there are other parts of the bike course that were a lot more auto traffic conflicting...going the wrong way on one way bridges and turning left against traffic.... oh well, it doesn't matter now does it, what ever the reason.  I like the race you suggested and there is one called Make-A-Wish in Delaware a few weeks later that could work.  The main reason I signed up for this race is personal connections to the area, so that makes it a personal hurt.  And like Rob said, this race has been scheduled a year in advance. So what ever the reasons, this was poor planning and community involvement on several levels and I am very disappointed.  But I'll recover.  Thanks for the support guys. My gut reaction has lessened now. I'll go home and have a drink, sign up for a different race, and eat something smothered in chocolate.  Life will be good again.

2008-08-05 4:50 PM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
mmmmmmmmmmm chocolate
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm beer
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm triathlons
2008-08-05 4:51 PM
in reply to: #1583655

User image

Expert
B'ham

I am not feeling well at all, both the little one and I have colds.  Who gets sick in the summer?  I can't remember the last time I had anything other than allergies in the summer.  And to top it off I have a 5:30am flight tomorrow - ugh!!

On the upside, I had my annual review today and not only was there no mention of the amount of time I spend here doing "research", but I got a great review.  We weren't told numbers at this point, but I'm guessing a nice raise is in store for me next month.  Thanks to all of you for helping me be so successful.

2008-08-05 4:53 PM
in reply to: #1583775

User image

Expert
B'ham

Redknight - 2008-08-05 2:50 PM mmmmmmmmmmm chocolate mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm beer mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm triathlons

Just one thing missing from that list and it isn't pizza! (ok maybe two things)

2008-08-05 6:38 PM
in reply to: #1583782

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
cadmus - 2008-08-05 5:53 PM

Redknight - 2008-08-05 2:50 PM mmmmmmmmmmm chocolate mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm beer mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm triathlons

I wanted to say I'm sorry to everyone, and especially you Matt, if I offended anyone with my earlier comments. I didn't mean to attack churches or anyones' beliefs, and I certainly wasn't trying to imply that the race is more important than church.  The safety issue of cars passing through the race to enter/exit the parking lots is a valid one, it was just the timing that set me off.  I realize that is a sensitive and deeply personal topic and I apologize. 

I hope you are feeling better Matt. Summer colds are the worst.  And outstanding on your job review!  Way to go!

Edited by tahrens 2008-08-05 6:39 PM

2008-08-05 6:46 PM
in reply to: #1583909

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
tahrens - 2008-08-05 6:38 PM

I wanted to say I'm sorry to everyone, and especially you Matt, if I offended anyone with my earlier comments. I didn't mean to attack churches or anyones' beliefs, and I certainly wasn't trying to imply that the race is more important than church. The safety issue of cars passing through the race to enter/exit the parking lots is a valid one, it was just the timing that set me off. I realize that is a sensitive and deeply personal topic and I apologize.

I hope you are feeling better Matt. Summer colds are the worst. And outstanding on your job review! Way to go!

SinnerTongue out

2008-08-05 9:42 PM
in reply to: #1583909

User image

Expert
B'ham
tahrens - 2008-08-05 4:38 PM

I wanted to say I'm sorry to everyone, and especially you Matt, if I offended anyone with my earlier comments. I didn't mean to attack churches or anyones' beliefs, and I certainly wasn't trying to imply that the race is more important than church.  The safety issue of cars passing through the race to enter/exit the parking lots is a valid one, it was just the timing that set me off.  I realize that is a sensitive and deeply personal topic and I apologize. 

I hope you are feeling better Matt. Summer colds are the worst.  And outstanding on your job review!  Way to go!

No worries Tracy, I'm not even close to being offended.  I think church traffic would be good on race day, a lot of those old ladies drive slow enough to draft behind and they can't DQ you over some little old lady blocking the lane.

2008-08-05 10:04 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Hey, what are you doing up?  I hope it's not sickness related.  I am surfing for alternative races and check out this one.  It is called SavageMan and claims to "reclaim" the toughness of triathlons.  Just look at this bike elevation profile.

http://www.savagemantri.org/SavageMan_Intl.html

(bike_profile_intl.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
bike_profile_intl.jpg (20KB - 14 downloads)
2008-08-06 6:59 AM
in reply to: #1584299

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2008-08-05 11:04 PM

Hey, what are you doing up?  I hope it's not sickness related.  I am surfing for alternative races and check out this one.  It is called SavageMan and claims to "reclaim" the toughness of triathlons.  Just look at this bike elevation profile.

http://www.savagemantri.org/SavageMan_Intl.html

I was looking at that one for next year.  Have heard alot of good things about it.

BTW I thought you were in NC, why do you drive all the way up here for races?

We should grab some lunch or something when you come up for the Army 10 miler, The whole race is in my "hood"

Mother-in-law took the kids home with her yesterday so wife and I had the night to ourselves, went out with my brother and his girlfriend and had a few drinks and shot some pool (don't drink as much as I used to, have a bit of a hang over) , tonight we are going out with friends to the Kennedy Center to see the Lion King, woo hoo it's like BK (before kids)

2008-08-06 7:02 AM
in reply to: #1584485

User image

Champion

Also,

I think I might have offended someone on ST, they had a 2006 Desoto Black Pearl BibJohn for sale and said to make them an offer.

They go for 195 new.  I looked on E-bay and They had a 2008 for 115 + 15 S/H brand new, so I said how about 100 for it + shipping.

Haven't heard back from him at all.  Was that too low?

2008-08-06 12:05 PM
in reply to: #1584299

User image

Expert
B'ham
tahrens - 2008-08-05 8:04 PM

It wasn't even 8:00 yet here on the left coast.  I got about 4.5 hours of decent sleep last night before getting up at 3:30 to catch my flight.  I'll be here until next Thursday, by far the longest I've been away from my little girl.

SavageMan looks like it could also be a SufferFest - the run isn't too flat either.  Maybe they could find a way to make the swim uphill too!

2008-08-06 12:07 PM
in reply to: #1584490

User image

Expert
B'ham
dalessit - 2008-08-06 5:02 AM

Also,

I think I might have offended someone on ST, they had a 2006 Desoto Black Pearl BibJohn for sale and said to make them an offer.

They go for 195 new.  I looked on E-bay and They had a 2008 for 115 + 15 S/H brand new, so I said how about 100 for it + shipping.

Haven't heard back from him at all.  Was that too low?

Seems reasonable, though often people attach sentimental value to thier stuff.  Maybe it was the first suit he ever peed in and is having a hard time letting go.

2008-08-06 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Hi all, I actually had work to do today, can you believe it?  Now to respond,  Tony, I have raced in MD a few time because my inlaws live in Ellicott City  MD and it is convienient for them to watch the kids for the weekend while we race.  The Army 10 miler 1)geographically falls within the babysitter range for grandma/pa and 2) most importantly, I am an Army brat and my Dad died a few years ago. I am racing in honor of my Dad and all that goes along with being an Army brat.  (that must be where I get my wonderful ability to "bond" with the boys - young GI's will do that to a girl )  I would love to get together for lunch. The hubby and I are making a weekend out of the race so there will be time.  Let's talk when the race is closer. Sounds great.  And I don't think your $100 offer was too low. They said to make an offer right?  I would read that as they already had  an offer they were taking and didn't bother to respond.

Matt, I agree with your renaming of the SavageMan race.  Technically the swim isn't uphill, but reading RRs from last year, it might as well have been.  There is a HIM at the same time and the reports were saying the water temp was in the 70's and the air temp was in the 30's!!!! The fog was so thick on the water you couldn't see the buoy markers.  And worst of all, I think this is the race we are going to do, again for logistical reasons. The inlaws have access to a cabin in the host town.  This will definitely be a HTFU race for Tracy. If you guys thought I was a baby about seaweed, that goes 10x more for being wet and cold!!!  This race will not be about speed, it is more about completing!!! Tony, sure you don't want to do it this year?  Misery loves company!

Don't you just love the weekends without the kids?  My girls were gone for 2 weeks this summer with grandma and grandpa. When people would gawk at the time and ask didn't we miss them - honestly, not too much!  I mean of course we did, but the found freedom was certainly appreciated.

2008-08-06 5:51 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yay finally back home and back at elevation 4500 from 500 ish. The 56 mile bike ride kicked my butt today, but I managed a 18 mph + pace. At this point in my training the thought of running 13 miles after a 56 mile bike ride make me shiver (and its 90 F out).

Sorry to hear about the canceled oly, maybe you can get into a different one. It sounds like planning a tri on buisy streets that have churches, schools, whatever on them is perhaps shortsighted, but I would hate to try to plan one in the first place, soooo many details.

On the shoe issue, I can't agree more about going to a specialty shoe store. They will have you run on a treadmill, videotape your feet and identify your foot placement, sounds like you have the opposite of a pronation (forgot what that is called, feet turn in slightly on landing). There are shoes specificaly designed for how your feet land to decrease the strain you are experiencing. They will then let try out like 6 different pairs of shoes to see how they feel. You can run like a quarter mile on them if you want.

Then once you buy your first pair from them, buy your next pairs online for cheaper 8). My shoes were $ 95 in store and $75-80 online.

I had one pair of shoes that worked great. They "upgraded the model" the next year and they sucked badly, blisters galore hurt my feet etc. I went back got a different brand and out of the box ran 13 miles on them and they were great. At the shoe store they can look at your shoes and tell you if the shoe is breaking down faster than it should in a particular area, thus causing pain for you. I would lean against inserts, my reading is that they cause irritated muscles to atrophy causing further weakening and more problems.

On a side note I may well be certifiable. I am taking out a loan to add a room to my house and then put in a resistance swimspa/swim treadmill. It is of course the best with a top end of 4 mph ish. Which of course means that I will become a real swimmer ... Well at least I will have a verly convienient swim location, 10 feet from where I am typing this. Peace out.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 78