BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-01-28 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3326385

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL!
ClydeNewb - 2011-01-28 9:11 AM For those that have done a HIM I have a question.  Triathlon is a fun hobby to me, not my occupation obviously.  I have a lot of work and family commitments with a wife and 2 kids so training time is a premium.  One such commitment is a family vacation.  My wife has it planned for June.  There is a plus and minus.  The minus being, I won't be able to take my bike and it is in the middle of my 20 week training plan.  The plus is it falls on week 8 which is a recovery week.  Workouts have been good and consistent since I started back up after the New Year. 

I guess the question is, am I going to waste my training plan by not being full go at week 8 or should I be able to maintain fitness with a few runs and possibly an ocean swim or two while on vacation?  Will it hurt to not have the bike or is a week off not going to sabotage everything? 

Again, I only have 1 sprint under my belt thus far so I have no illusions of a podium finish.  My goal is to finish and hopefully finish strong.

What's your vacation?  I'm not being nosy but are you driving or flying or???  I take my bike with me on driving vacations.  Last time we flew anywhere we went to Vegas -- and rented mountain bikes.  One day we drove to St. George and did the trails there.   Will there be a lap pool available

2011-01-28 8:27 AM

User image

Hugo, MN
ClydeNewb - 2011-01-28 8:11 AM For those that have done a HIM I have a question.  Triathlon is a fun hobby to me, not my occupation obviously.  I have a lot of work and family commitments with a wife and 2 kids so training time is a premium.  One such commitment is a family vacation.  My wife has it planned for June.  There is a plus and minus.  The minus being, I won't be able to take my bike and it is in the middle of my 20 week training plan.  The plus is it falls on week 8 which is a recovery week.  Workouts have been good and consistent since I started back up after the New Year. 

I guess the question is, am I going to waste my training plan by not being full go at week 8 or should I be able to maintain fitness with a few runs and possibly an ocean swim or two while on vacation?  Will it hurt to not have the bike or is a week off not going to sabotage everything? 

Again, I only have 1 sprint under my belt thus far so I have no illusions of a podium finish.  My goal is to finish and hopefully finish strong.

For me, personally, a recovery week where I couldn't bike would not be a killer.  You're not going to lose fitness in 7 days.  I'd focus on the run that week and swim (if it's an option) and make sure not to gorge on food (deload weeks are tough like that since I have more free time due to lower training volumes).

2011-01-28 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3256274

Albany, NY
Spin class this AM for an hour followed by 35 minute swim focusing mostly on drills and only a little on intervals or distance.  Did both at a relatively easy pace as I have a long ride (2+ hours) and long run (~10 miles) on Saturday and Sunday.   Would love to get outside for the long run Sunday.  We'll see if the weather cooperates!...
2011-01-28 8:47 AM
in reply to: #3326404

Lancaster
jmkizer - 2011-01-28 9:19 AM

What's your vacation?  I'm not being nosy but are you driving or flying or???  I take my bike with me on driving vacations.  Last time we flew anywhere we went to Vegas -- and rented mountain bikes.  One day we drove to St. George and did the trails there.   Will there be a lap pool available

Going to Myrtle Beach.  Probably no lap pool, I think we are renting a house.  Unfortunately there is no room for the bike.  With 2 small kids, there is a ton of crap to pack, including a luggage rack on the reece hitch which is the only place to haul the bike. 
2011-01-28 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3326486

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
ClydeNewb - 2011-01-28 9:47 AM
jmkizer - 2011-01-28 9:19 AM

Going to Myrtle Beach.  Probably no lap pool, I think we are renting a house.  Unfortunately there is no room for the bike.  With 2 small kids, there is a ton of crap to pack, including a luggage rack on the reece hitch which is the only place to haul the bike. 

No worries.  Riding in Myrtle sucks anyway.  I did the MS ride down there several time.  The first two times we went from Rockingham, NC to Darlington and spent the night at the speedway (cool!) and then went from Darlington to Myrtle.  That was fine.  The third time was loops around Myrtle and that was badAwful.  I now do the MS ride in New Bern, NC.

There is at least one city pool that you can use -- http://www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/peppergeddings.html-- looks like $5/day

Honestly, getting away for a swim is not that bad.  I did that at the Outer Banks last year.  DH was happy to sit in a lounge chair and read while I did my workout.  It worked out fine.

Edited by jmkizer 2011-01-28 9:02 AM
2011-01-28 9:55 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
ClydeNewb - 2011-01-28 9:11 AM For those that have done a HIM I have a question.  Triathlon is a fun hobby to me, not my occupation obviously.  I have a lot of work and family commitments with a wife and 2 kids so training time is a premium.  One such commitment is a family vacation.  My wife has it planned for June.  There is a plus and minus.  The minus being, I won't be able to take my bike and it is in the middle of my 20 week training plan.  The plus is it falls on week 8 which is a recovery week.  Workouts have been good and consistent since I started back up after the New Year. 

I had sort of the same issue last year.  You will be fine.  Ideally what you would do is your long bike the day before you leave and the day after you come back.  So if you leave on Sunday, do your long ride on that previous saturday and then if you come back on Saturday, do your long ride on Sunday.  IF you have to skip one of these long rides, it's fine, but I would build my mileage a little bit more...say like 5 miles the week before.  I found that for longer distance it was key for me to get those longer rides in.  Honestly...week 8 is not the worst time in your training cycle to miss a few workouts.  If it was week 14-17 you would be more likely to have to make them up. 

I should also say that it depends on your goals.  You've only done a sprint, so you probably don't have a really good idea of a realistic time goal to meet.  You may say you want to go sub 6 hours just to play it safe....or 6:30, whatever.  Missing that one week won't change your time that much.

2011-01-28 10:41 AM

User image

I agree with jonathan.  Do the long bike before and after the vacation.  You won't lose fitness in 7 days.  For me, vacations with travel usually keep me in good shape.  There's always lots of walking around and doing stuff that burns calories. 

A couple years ago I went to Japan for 2 weeks.  I figured I would gain a lot of weight because I was eating and drinking like no tomorrow.  But I was always on my feet.  There was always something to do each day and no sleeping in.  I didn't gain one pound.
2011-01-28 11:25 AM
in reply to: #3326840

User image

Champion
yep, save the rides for when you have the time do really do them.

If you are staying active, it'll be hard to lose fitness in that amount of time, or in any amount that you'd ever be able to notice.

We are supposed to get more snow today and tomorrow, YAY (no, not at ALL).
2011-01-28 11:59 AM

Lancaster
Thanks for the replies.  That makes me feel better.  Looking at the plan it will actually work out fine.  We are leaving on a Sunday, and the long bike for week 6 is on saturday so I'll get that in.  The only rides I'll miss in the recovery week are 2 easy 30 minute rides and an easy 60 minute ride.  There are 3 30 minute runs that week that I'll be able to do fine, and the couple swims I'm not really worried about as I'm a swimmer anyway so a week off will be nothing.
2011-01-28 12:42 PM

User image

This is the one reason I make my own training plans.  I take the framework of an existing plan, and try and use that framework around my schedule.  Lets face it...nobody has a clean slate of 20 weeks to work with.  We have weddings, parties, vacations, work, other races we need to plan around.
2011-01-28 12:47 PM

User image

Pushing my run from this morning to lunch time...which means it will be about 10 minutes shorter.  I had some coughing spells in the middle of the night and needed to take some NyQuil at about midnight.  Woke up at 5am still feeling sleepy, so I just slept in for another hour.

2011-01-28 12:50 PM
in reply to: #3327155

Lancaster
tri808 - 2011-01-28 1:42 PM This is the one reason I make my own training plans.  I take the framework of an existing plan, and try and use that framework around my schedule.  Lets face it...nobody has a clean slate of 20 weeks to work with.  We have weddings, parties, vacations, work, other races we need to plan around.

That's my biggest problem is time.  Ideally I'd like to get my workouts in the morning to help condition the body as I'm not a morning person and the race is obviously in the morning.  Unfortunately, I leave for work at 6-6:15.  It's dark so biking is out of the question and I really don't like the idea of running on my road before light.  The Y opens at 5:30 but I'd get about 15 minutes of swimming in before I'd have to shower and head to work.  Kind of a waste so I guess morning workouts are relegated to the weekends.
2011-01-28 5:43 PM

User image

I get some new toys tomorrow.

I bought an ISM Adamo Race saddle off the classifieds here, and it came in.  They tried to deliver yesterday, but nobody was home, so I have to pick it up at the post office. 

I'm also picking up a Lazer Tardiz aero helmet that just arrived at my LBS.  I actually won it in a free online sweepstakes thing during the TdF last year.  I gave them my measurements, and they sent me a large.  After trying it on a few times, I realized it was too big and was going to sell it locally, but never got around to it.  Then I took a chance and contacted Lazer to see if I could exchange it for a Medium and they agreed.  That was pretty cool of them.  I didn't even have to send in the helmet back to them first.  I just have to go to the LBS and swap it out.  The LBS doesn't even stock their helmets, so Lazer went out of their way.
2011-01-28 8:24 PM

Lancaster
That's awesome on the helmet.  Hard to find decent customer service anymore when you buy something, let alone a freebie.  That's the kind of thing that makes you hope a company can thrive for years to come.

Give me a review on that saddle when you put some miles on it.  I'm gonna be in the market for a new saddle when the weather warms up and I was considering one of those.
2011-01-28 9:14 PM

User image

I'll let you know about the saddle as soon as I get a few rides in.  My sit bones are fine, but I've been getting a burning sensation under my boys on longer rides.  Seems like the gap in the adamo saddle is right where I need pressure to be relieved.

That and my existing saddle needs to be replaced.  The leather around the sides is worn off.

2011-01-29 9:13 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Those helmets are pretty sweet too.  Not sure what the drag is like on them, you'll have to let us know if you can tell a difference.

2011-01-29 11:15 AM

User image

Fall River, WI
Last day of training for the week and I'm feeling great.  With next week being a recovery week I decided to do a long swim today.  Did 4100yds in 1hr 40min.  By far the longest I have ever swam.  2000 was freestyle and 1600 of drills.  During the freestyle I was able to maintain 2 min/100.  I'll take that since I have only been swimming again for about a month and a half.  I think my body will be happy with my recovery week, but I have a feeling I am going to feel like I am slacking off.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
2011-01-29 12:46 PM

User image

Hugo, MN
Had a great 6 miler today.  I just went for a run at my speed and decided to hit it a bit.  I was on the road for the first 2 and then miles 3 and 4 were on a trail with loose packed slow.  I felt like I was slogging along (like 8:30s or so) and the last 2 I hit the road and ramped it up.  44:11 for 6 miles.  Awesome run.  Will try and do a recovery 4 miles later today.

Hope everyone else is having a great weekend.
2011-01-29 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3328478

User image

Champion
Nice job all around guys.

I'll get back on and try and read all of the replies later and answer any questions, but i managed to eat it on my run this morning and knocked my head and hip pretty hard, so going to take a bit and see if i need to head ot hte Dr or not.

For those of you running in snow/ice, be careful!
2011-01-29 2:16 PM
in reply to: #3328540

User image

Veteran
PA
newbz - 2011-01-29 2:47 PM Nice job all around guys. I'll get back on and try and read all of the replies later and answer any questions, but i managed to eat it on my run this morning and knocked my head and hip pretty hard, so going to take a bit and see if i need to head ot hte Dr or not. For those of you running in snow/ice, be careful!

^ this is why I scraped my run this morning outside too icey

Hope you are alright Newbz
2011-01-29 2:27 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
My run this morning was half on dry pavement/half on snowmobile trail.  The latter half was difficult, but it was a beautiful run!   

2011-01-29 3:58 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
I don't know about you guys but the cabin fever is starting to hit me a bit. Getting a tad warmer here right now (low 30's) which makes running so much more enjoyale. The trainer rides while I know are beneficial are ahrd to do now inside and I am only counting down the days til I can rip it up outside again. 95 minutes today inside was hard to start but I feel great now that I got it behind me.

When did everyone ride outside for the first time last year? I checked my logs and it was March 13th, so I am hoping to get out a bit sooner this year!
2011-01-29 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3328695

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere
chasingkona - 2011-01-29 2:58 PM I don't know about you guys but the cabin fever is starting to hit me a bit. Getting a tad warmer here right now (low 30's) which makes running so much more enjoyale. The trainer rides while I know are beneficial are ahrd to do now inside and I am only counting down the days til I can rip it up outside again. 95 minutes today inside was hard to start but I feel great now that I got it behind me.

When did everyone ride outside for the first time last year? I checked my logs and it was March 13th, so I am hoping to get out a bit sooner this year!

I'd not begun training in earnest lest year, so I can't say, but I'm ready to start for this year! I have a sinus infection from my septoplasty, but that should be gone soon. The daytime highs here are in the low 60s right now, so it's not as though I have too many excuses. Cabin fever is causingmore problems than the post-op recovery.
2011-01-29 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3328695

User image

Champion
I could have rode last week before the snow started. If roads are clear i've gone out down to the mid teens on the tri bike, and under 0 a few times on the mountain bike.
2011-01-29 5:07 PM

Lancaster
I'm a wuss when it comes to cold weather.  If the needle is under 30, the only time I am outside is when I'm hunting.  As much as I hate the treadmill and spin cycle, they have to do for the winter.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  

of 57