BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-06-01 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!

I've been keeping up with reading the posts and it's great to see so many success stories this early in the season!  Great job everybody!!

I ran a 5k on Sunday and while I didn't hit my goal I was happy with the results.  A hard bike ride on Saturday along with a picnic Saturday night hampered my chances.  I ran 18:58 and finished 3rd overall. 

Joined my LBS for their group ride last night and I quickly realized that all of my work on the trainer has amounted to basically no fitness.  Pretty frustrated especially now that my first tri is in 1 month.  I have a lot of catching up to do.

Have a great Wednesday!

2011-06-01 9:44 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

I took the tri bike out for a spin tonight. It was a bit windy but a good ride. Lots of bugs. I really need to learn to keep my mouth closedSmile.

Edited by Kath2163 2011-06-01 9:49 PM

(Cherry creek.png)

Attachments
----------------
Cherry creek.png (79KB - 23 downloads)
2011-06-01 10:14 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

What's more comfortable for a long ride, a road or tri bike?

2011-06-01 10:49 PM
in reply to: #3527223

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Trout - 2011-06-01 9:20 AM

I've been keeping up with reading the posts and it's great to see so many success stories this early in the season!  Great job everybody!!

I ran a 5k on Sunday and while I didn't hit my goal I was happy with the results.  A hard bike ride on Saturday along with a picnic Saturday night hampered my chances.  I ran 18:58 and finished 3rd overall. 

Joined my LBS for their group ride last night and I quickly realized that all of my work on the trainer has amounted to basically no fitness.  Pretty frustrated especially now that my first tri is in 1 month.  I have a lot of catching up to do.

Have a great Wednesday!

Great run, I envy your speed.

Best bike for long rides?  The one that fits you.   My tri bike and I are having issues which I don';t understand because all I did was store it over winter.  Changed the pedals but that shouldn't cause it.  Might be my lack of time on it.  About 10 hours total so far.  But I think there is a seat height issue or something.

Rode 40 on the TT bike, ran 8 and swam 600 yards in open water to test the wet suit for Saturday's sprint.  Good day. 

2011-06-02 4:14 AM
in reply to: #3527223

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Trout - 2011-06-01 10:20 AM

Have a great Wednesday!

Still very fast!! Nice race!

Surprised that you found the trainer didn't help much.  Some pro's do almost all of their training on the trainer.  It doesn't help with bike handling skills but usually the conditioning is good.
2011-06-02 4:17 AM
in reply to: #3528408

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
marvintpa - 2011-06-01 11:14 PM

What's more comfortable for a long ride, a road or tri bike?

Ice is right, the one that fits you best.  I am comfortable doing long rides on both of my bikes, but they are different enough that I wouldn't do a long ride on one I haven't had some riding on. 

I usually do longer group rides, or charity rides on my road bike due to it being a little easier to control in a crowd or draft line.  My tri bike I usually save for solo rides or if I am on a training ride with other triathletes.  So, beyond the comfort factor, the other part of the decision is the goal/purpose of the ride.

2011-06-02 4:21 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Almost the weekend again!  My training is off a little this week with the racing and some busy work schedules, but with the first tri of the season Sunday a little mini-taper doesn't hurt.

So it is the start of a new month and for most of us the beginning of the summer racing season.  Anyone care to share their goals for June? 

Mine is to follow my training plan as close to written as possible.  My "A" tri race of the summer is in mid July and this months training is going to determine a lot in how the race turns out!
2011-06-02 7:26 AM
in reply to: #3526990

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
scraver - 2011-06-01 6:42 AM

Kath2163 - 2011-06-01 7:19 AM   

Where in CT do you live?  I grew up there.

I live in Willington (near UConn).  I grew up in Stratford (down on the shoreline)

Where did you grow up?

New Canaan. Southern CT near Stamford, Darien, etc.  

2011-06-02 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3528517

User image

Regular
Maryland

kenj - 2011-06-02 4:21 AM Almost the weekend again!  My training is off a little this week with the racing and some busy work schedules, but with the first tri of the season Sunday a little mini-taper doesn't hurt.

So it is the start of a new month and for most of us the beginning of the summer racing season.  Anyone care to share their goals for June? 

Mine is to follow my training plan as close to written as possible.  My "A" tri race of the summer is in mid July and this months training is going to determine a lot in how the race turns out!

Good question Ken,

My goals for June are similar to yours.  I want to stick to my plan as much as possible.  My fallback, which I have been defaulting to, is to get in a good workout 6x week, one rest day, and to have a good mix of swim, bike, and run.

Last week I really pushed it on the bike and now I'm trying to ease up a little without totally slacking off.  It's a fine balance, but I'm finding that when it comes time for my next workout, I'm looking forward to it and not dreading it.

Can anyone recommend a good post bike/run stretching routine, video or article?

2011-06-02 9:48 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

Silly beginner question but are gels designed to be eaten from the packet or dissolved in water?

I tried one direct and it was inedible. Perhaps it was just me or just that flavour, but it seemed like eating toothpaste.

2011-06-02 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

It sounds like everyone is having a great week! Good luck to all racing this weekend.

my life has been extremely hectic the last week or so - hence very little time for training. house goes on the market on Saturday and then off to HI for some much needed rest.  I am horrible at getting workouts in while on vacation, but will try!

I probably won't be checking in very often for the next few weeks - so good luck to all and happy training!!!!

2011-06-02 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3528937

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
marvintpa - 2011-06-02 10:48 AM

Silly beginner question but are gels designed to be eaten from the packet or dissolved in water?

I tried one direct and it was inedible. Perhaps it was just me or just that flavour, but it seemed like eating toothpaste.

Eat it straight from the packet but drink it down with lot's of water. They have a lot of flavors to choose from so try them out.

During a race I use electrical tape and tape them to the top tube on the frame. If you tape over the top of the packet (this is the part you rip off) you can just reach down and with one hand and the packet will open as you pull them off your bike.

Edited by acv 2011-06-02 10:42 AM
2011-06-02 10:54 AM
in reply to: #3528694

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Viyoung - 2011-06-02 9:04 AM

kenj - 2011-06-02 4:21 AM Almost the weekend again!  My training is off a little this week with the racing and some busy work schedules, but with the first tri of the season Sunday a little mini-taper doesn't hurt.

Good question Ken,

My goals for June are similar to yours.  I want to stick to my plan as much as possible.  My fallback, which I have been defaulting to, is to get in a good workout 6x week, one rest day, and to have a good mix of swim, bike, and run.

Last week I really pushed it on the bike and now I'm trying to ease up a little without totally slacking off.  It's a fine balance, but I'm finding that when it comes time for my next workout, I'm looking forward to it and not dreading it.

Can anyone recommend a good post bike/run stretching routine, video or article?

Sounds like a solid plan Vivian!

I would look at runnersworld.com and use the search feature for stretching.  They have a lot of good information on that.  Also, take a look at adding some yoga to your routine.  I have not been good at doing it, but those that do it regularly swear by it.  You can get some dvd's fairly inexpensively, or maybe video on demand if your TV service carries it.  I have done some of those routines when I think about it.
2011-06-02 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3528937

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
marvintpa - 2011-06-02 10:48 AM

Adam has some good advice, but you can buy the gels in a bottle and put them in a gel flask mixed with water as well.  Personally I prefer to just use the packets and chase them with a drink of water.  My favorite flavors are the Power Bar chocolate or expresso.

Another option if you are struggling with the texture of the gel is to try the clif blocks.  They are basically a gel in a more solid form, close to a jelly bean or gummy bear texture.  
2011-06-02 10:59 AM
in reply to: #3528994

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2011-06-02 11:16 AM

It sounds like everyone is having a great week! Good luck to all racing this weekend.

my life has been extremely hectic the last week or so - hence very little time for training. house goes on the market on Saturday and then off to HI for some much needed rest.  I am horrible at getting workouts in while on vacation, but will try!

I probably won't be checking in very often for the next few weeks - so good luck to all and happy training!!!!

HI as in Hawaii?  I am very good at getting my training in when I am on vacation and am available to accompany you to make sure you do as well! Cool

Seriously, have a great time, and we will still be here when you get back!!  Safe travels!
2011-06-02 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

kenj - 2011-06-02 5:21 AM Almost the weekend again!  My training is off a little this week with the racing and some busy work schedules, but with the first tri of the season Sunday a little mini-taper doesn't hurt.

Boy that question has been on my mind lately so maybe some words of wisdom from some of you that have a little more experience would be helpful..….

Short term I have my first tri coming up on July 10th. Ideally I’d like to beat my time from last year. That’s not a given however, things are going to have to go well on race day for me to do it. It’s only a sprint so I just need to stay consistent with my training and stay healthy.

After that I’m a little lost on my plan right now. I signed up for an Olympic length race in Oct. They are allowing you to upgrade to the HIM distance for this race. My previous short term goal was to build a base to start the HIM program which I did. But unfortunately I haven’t been able to follow to HIM program. I just don’t have enough time to do the 2 work outs per day thing. Most of the programs I see have multiple days of am & pm work outs. 1 or 2 am/pm workouts a week would be fine but I don’t think I could find the time to do it 3-4 times a week especially if they are longish workouts.

I’ve been looking over Olympic 18 week programs but my volume right now puts me at about week 10 on some of the programs. So I’m way over training for the Olympic and under trained for a HIM. I’m really questioning my decision to try for the HIM. My body has been feeling it lately too. Cry

So long term I’m a little stuck. I guess I’ll just wait and see how things go. I still have a couple months before I have decide about upgrading to the HIM.

2011-06-02 4:22 PM
in reply to: #3529270

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2011-06-02 12:54 PM

kenj - 2011-06-02 5:21 AM Almost the weekend again!  My training is off a little this week with the racing and some busy work schedules, but with the first tri of the season Sunday a little mini-taper doesn't hurt.

Boy that question has been on my mind lately so maybe some words of wisdom from some of you that have a little more experience would be helpful..….

Short term I have my first tri coming up on July 10th. Ideally I’d like to beat my time from last year. That’s not a given however, things are going to have to go well on race day for me to do it. It’s only a sprint so I just need to stay consistent with my training and stay healthy.

After that I’m a little lost on my plan right now. I signed up for an Olympic length race in Oct. They are allowing you to upgrade to the HIM distance for this race. My previous short term goal was to build a base to start the HIM program which I did. But unfortunately I haven’t been able to follow to HIM program. I just don’t have enough time to do the 2 work outs per day thing. Most of the programs I see have multiple days of am & pm work outs. 1 or 2 am/pm workouts a week would be fine but I don’t think I could find the time to do it 3-4 times a week especially if they are longish workouts.

I’ve been looking over Olympic 18 week programs but my volume right now puts me at about week 10 on some of the programs. So I’m way over training for the Olympic and under trained for a HIM. I’m really questioning my decision to try for the HIM. My body has been feeling it lately too. Cry

So long term I’m a little stuck. I guess I’ll just wait and see how things go. I still have a couple months before I have decide about upgrading to the HIM.

Here is a thought on the HIM training that maybe will help you out.  I wouldn't worry about having the 2nd workout always be opposite end of the day from your other one.  Double the workouts up with a brick run off the bike or ride or run to your swim.  I am also fortunate enough to have access to a treadmill and showers at work so I can do short runs at lunch time if that is an option for you either at work or finding an inexpensive gym near work.  Most plans also have a rest day built in, usually Friday.  Move one of your swims to Friday and consider it a rest day for the legs. 

Another totally different idea would be to stick with the Oly distance tri, and find a half marathon in November that you can do some longer run training without being over burdoned with bike and swim time on top of that. 

Just some thoughts to bounce around!
2011-06-02 4:37 PM

User image

Regular
Connecticut

Goals for June:

I think this month, I want to focus on consistancy.  I want to get in all my workouts each week, even if some of them are only 20 min. workouts.  I tend to have this all or nothing attitude... like if I can't do 60 mins of cardio - why bother?  Which, I know is stupid.  It is a hard thing to break myself of.  That, and I love how I feel after a good, long workout.  A two mile run is for pu$$ys.  (not true, of course, just one of those irrational ideas that run through my head at times

Anyways.  I have been lacking in my swimming.  I did 0 for May.  Nada.  Nothing.  Zilch.  So yesterday, I went and did 2,000 yards.  I am just not worried about the swim.  Maybe I should be?? 

So - for June - I am shooting for AT LEAST one swim a week, 2 runs, 2 bikes (one of which should be outside) and 2 strength training/core work.  In addition, am thinking about just shooting out a few evenings a week for a really quick 4 - 5 mile bike ride - just to get practice being outside and to get more confident out on my bike.  I was going to try jogs in the evening with my son in his jogger... but then it wouldn't stop raining... then there was something about a tornado. 

Anyways... I am totally rambling.  I am totally over-thinking things.

2011-06-03 4:09 AM
in reply to: #3529764

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
scraver - 2011-06-02 5:37 PM

Goals for June:

I think this month, I want to focus on consistancy.  I want to get in all my workouts each week, even if some of them are only 20 min. workouts.  I tend to have this all or nothing attitude... like if I can't do 60 mins of cardio - why bother?  Which, I know is stupid.  It is a hard thing to break myself of.  That, and I love how I feel after a good, long workout.  A two mile run is for pu$$ys.  (not true, of course, just one of those irrational ideas that run through my head at times

Anyways.  I have been lacking in my swimming.  I did 0 for May.  Nada.  Nothing.  Zilch.  So yesterday, I went and did 2,000 yards.  I am just not worried about the swim.  Maybe I should be?? 

So - for June - I am shooting for AT LEAST one swim a week, 2 runs, 2 bikes (one of which should be outside) and 2 strength training/core work.  In addition, am thinking about just shooting out a few evenings a week for a really quick 4 - 5 mile bike ride - just to get practice being outside and to get more confident out on my bike.  I was going to try jogs in the evening with my son in his jogger... but then it wouldn't stop raining... then there was something about a tornado. 

Anyways... I am totally rambling.  I am totally over-thinking things.

Sherri, most of your thoughts are on the money!  Adding a 2 mile run once or twice a week or a short bike will build your level of fitness substantially.  Especially if it builds from 2 miles to 3 or 4 over a few months.  Same with the bike, start with a 3rd ride of 4 or 5 miles and then a 4th. 

But your first sentence was the most important!  Just getting consistent and following a plan every week will be the most important part of successful training. 

As far as the swim, it is easy for me and sounds like you to push off the swim.  I would rather run or ride than swim and so I don't always swim as much as I should.  But in training for my 2 ironman races, where the distance of the swim concerned me, I actually followed the plan.  My 2 lowest race times per hundred yards were my 2 iron man races and it was because I was better trained (and a little because I had 2000 people to draft off of).  Also, and more important is the benefit of being better conditioned in the swim carries over to the bike and the run.  If you are working harder in the water due to being being behind in conditioning, you are using available energy for the bike, which means the bike and the run will suffer. 

Now I am rambling, but I just wanted to point out how all of the training carries from one discipline to the next.
2011-06-03 8:14 AM
in reply to: #3528515

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
kenj - 2011-06-02 5:14 AM
Trout - 2011-06-01 10:20 AM

Have a great Wednesday!

Still very fast!! Nice race!

Surprised that you found the trainer didn't help much.  Some pro's do almost all of their training on the trainer.  It doesn't help with bike handling skills but usually the conditioning is good.

I've read that too where many do most of their training with the trainer and I guess I thought I'd be OK.  I'm probably not pushing hard enough while on the trainer.  I felt completely out of shape Tuesday night and well behind last year at this time.

2011-06-03 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA

My goals for June:
to get 300-400 miles biking with most of that on the roads
to focus on the swim a bit more as it's my weakest area

First tri of the year (2nd ever) is 7/2. 

2011-06-03 8:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Bradford, PA
Good luck Ken at Keuka!  And to anyone else who may be competing this weekend.
2011-06-03 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3530507

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Trout - 2011-06-03 9:17 AM Good luck Ken at Keuka!  And to anyone else who may be competing this weekend.

Thanks Steve!

Jon is also doing Keuka on Sunday! 

And I beleive Julie has a race tomorrow as well!  Good luck and have fun!
2011-06-03 4:12 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Heading out soon to do the Metro Broker's Trianthlon Friday.  It is an evening race. Nice and small. It looks like the weather will hold up and it doesn't look to windy.  As usual, I am very nervous.  It is just who I amWink

Good luck to all that are racing this weekend.

Have a good one all!

2011-06-03 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3531622

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2011-06-03 5:12 PM

Heading out soon to do the Metro Broker's Trianthlon Friday.  It is an evening race. Nice and small. It looks like the weather will hold up and it doesn't look to windy.  As usual, I am very nervous.  It is just who I amWink

Good luck to all that are racing this weekend.

Have a good one all!

Sorry I missed you were racing today too Kathleen! Good luck and have fun!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72