BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 66

2013-02-02 10:02 AM
in reply to: #4605495

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED
leechj - 2013-02-02 7:25 AM

I was just thinking about something. What are your suggestions on "Making Up" missed training sessions? I was thinking of splitting up the time I missed and adding them to the ends of my workouts next week, but then I thought, does that mess up the whole 10% increase per week rule?

Just thought I'd get your thoughts on how I should proceed. 

Thanks!

Nate

Nate I think for me the answer will be different based on what workout I missed.  If I wanted to make up a missed swim I would just add it in to a non-swim day as a second workout.  Because of my swimming background it would have no negative impact on me, 10% rule or no.

The run is exactly the opposite.  I have a structured plan that I would not feel comfortable extending the frequency or distance on.  Too much history of injury for me.

The bike I am still figuring out but because of the lower risk of injury I would be comfortable adding distance or the workout on a non-bike day even if it exceeded the 10% rule.  However, I would be paying close attention to what my body was telling me and cutting the length or intensity would be a call I would make quickly.

Don't know if that helps but my 2 cents.  Most importantly...feel better!

Edited by Stuartap 2013-02-02 10:05 AM

2013-02-02 10:24 AM
in reply to: #4542607

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nate-its a long season so I would not obsess about making up a workout.....especially if you are coming back from illness. For me, I would be hesitant to make up a run workout by adding it to another day as running is so much harder on the body. If you were determined to make up a run workout I would try to space it in the week where it would have the least impact on your current workouts. Also, I would probably shorten the run and make it REALLY easy regardless of what was called for.

Assuming you don't have any shoulder issues making up a swim is easier on the body as is biking. I would be more apt to try and make up those workouts. But, as it's so early in the season will making up those workouts really make any difference in your long term goals/plan. Probably not. I get obsessive about my numbers and workouts but that's not always a good thing.

Easy bike done! Going to do some clean up in the garage and then head to my daughter's preseason soccer scrimmage.

Have a good Saturday!

2013-02-02 10:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

I have been kicking around in my brain the idea of a monthly challenge.  The person you are competing against is yourself.  If you’re interested, pick a goal for Feb and post it here.  Pick just one, your choice, swim, bike or run. Make it a stretch but within reach.

At the end of the month when you post your results for Feb, include if you made your goal.  Feel free to share any narrative on what went right or wrong or what you learned about the training or yourself in the process.

If you make your goal, the grand prize is self-satisfaction.  If I may be so bold as to quote the great Wizard of Westwood:

“Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best you are capable of becoming.” John Wooden

My goal for Feb – 400 miles on the bike.  Anyone else interested in playing along?

2013-02-02 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4605288

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Stuartap - 2013-02-02 12:33 AM

Ok, very odd question.  If you are riding hills does the speed of the down hills make up for the slow uphills?  In other words, if doing a hilly course are you overall faster, slower or the same as the same distance on a flat course?

Any thoughts?

You are probably slower over a hilly course, even with the fast down hills.

I used to crush myself on the uphills and pass a bunch of people and then let up as I got over the top and everyone would pass me back. In the end I usually ended up well behind the people who metered their efforts out more consistently. In other words, on a hilly course your metric should not be speed but effort. You can measure effort very specifically with a power meter but they cost a lot of money. You can measure effort fairly specifically with heart rate but they are not as accurate as the power meter with lag in heart rate response. You can measure it even less specifically with rate of perceived exertion, but this takes some practice and a pretty good sense of yourself and your effort.

The goal in a triathlon is to keep the effort consistent. In an ideal world you would have the same effort throughout the race, uphill, downhill or on the flat. Your pace (speed) would change dramatically but your effort would be totally consistent. This is the most efficient way to conserve energy on the bike and have gas in the tank for the run.

For everyone that is doing a lot of bike training this winter you can try this out. Do a workout with some crushing intervals in it (I use my power meter but you can use whatever metric you want). Go the same distance or generate the same average power but keep your effort completely consistent. The effort with the intervals will take way more out of you than the steady-state effort.

On my power meter, my average power for a workout might be 190 watts but how much that workout hurts me depends on whether I generated that 190 watts with a consistent, steady-state effort of with a bunch of really hard efforts followed by easy efforts.

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-02-02 10:49 AM
2013-02-02 11:59 AM

User image

Master
Nate,
I don't make up missed training sessions. None of my coaches have ever promoted the idea of making up missed workouts.

Edited by Catwoman 2013-02-02 12:01 PM
2013-02-02 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4605163

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Stuartap - 2013-02-01 9:34 PM

Michael I hope your Strave KOM rides don't include blowing through red lights and assorted and sundry dangerous things.  I've only seen one and some of those people are just plain stupid or crazy or both.  I enjoy riding fast but I like to get home safe even more.

Nope.  The segments that I ride are all on an army base in the middle of nowhere -- there aren't even cars, much less stop lights!

2013-02-02 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Nate-same as pretty much everyone else; I'd just start on Monday right back in. You didn't lose anything on the swim over a few days, and your legs will just be fresh for the bike/run. We've got a long time until June, and even longer until August.

I had a great, although very cold, ride this morning. A couple of weeks ago, Nate and I rode a course I found online. I rode it again this morning and got my first Strava KOM. Smile I'm not a terribly competitive person, but I really liked having a goal to try and hit. Zone 2 is fun and all, but it was great to have something to chase this morning.

Monthly Goal-I like the idea, but I'm not sure what to go for. I pretty much follow my training plan to the letter, so I'd have to have a speed goal, or something like that. I'll have to think...

2013-02-02 2:01 PM
in reply to: #4605288

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Stuartap - 2013-02-02 12:33 AM

Ok, very odd question.  If you are riding hills does the speed of the down hills make up for the slow uphills?  In other words, if doing a hilly course are you overall faster, slower or the same as the same distance on a flat course?

Any thoughts?

The hillier course is definitely slower.  The reason is really just basic physics.  When you are going up, then down, the hill, you spend a lot more time going slow than going fast.  (There are also subtle issues about the velocity-dependence of air resistance, but their effects on this issue are not nearly the same order of magnitude.)

So here are some real numbers to put it in perspective, just in case anybody is interested.  Let's assume a windless day to keep it simple.  Compare two different stretches of road:  a flat 1 mile and a hill, 1/2 mile up and 1/2 mile down.  Suppose that the grade is 6% (a gradient that you'll definitely notice, but nothing crazy) on both the up and the down.

A 'normal' rider (weight, rolling resistance, etc.) putting out 250W will go just a hair over 25mph (easy to remember!), so the mile will take 2:24.

That same rider will go 11mph going up the hill.  So the uphill part alone will take nearly 5:30.  For the record, assuming the rider doesn't spin out, speed on the downhill will top out at just over 42mph, but obviously this makes no difference to the outcome.

The difference gets less and less the lower the gradient, of course.

2013-02-02 2:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Thanks for the advice, everyone, I'll just skip those workouts and let them be. I feel much better today and I think I'll get back to it tomorrow. 1 hour easy Zone 2 run!
2013-02-02 4:12 PM

User image

Master
Nate, You might want to drop that 1 hour easy run down to a 20-30 minute run. An hour run coming off of the flu might be a bit much- IMO. I would rather start off with a shorter run and do well than suffer through a long run just to get the miles in. I always tend to err on the easy/short side when coming back from an illness.
2013-02-02 5:03 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Stuart-the new goal each month should be fun. Come on everyone....nothng like a little accountability and encouragement to reach a goal! Maybe it's a set number of miles or yards or not missing a workout all month. I'm trying to decide on mine. The two that have come to mind are 1)running all of my "easy" miles at greater than 9min/mile pace....you know keeping easy miles easy. or 2) 1000 yard swim in less than 15 minutes.  I'm in but need to decide. This will give me something to think about during my bike tomorrow morning.

Pretty day here. A little cooler but sunny and a beautiful day to sit outside and watch some soccer.  

2013-02-02 5:49 PM

User image

Master
My goal for the month is to eat better. I'm writing this as I drink my 2nd Shiner Bock and eat Tricuit's out of the box. I needed a snack before the pizza is delivered from Domino's. No, I'm not kidding.
2013-02-02 6:10 PM
in reply to: #4605881

User image

Master
South Alabama

Catwoman - 2013-02-02 5:49 PM My goal for the month is to eat better. I'm writing this as I drink my 2nd Shiner Bock and eat Tricuit's out of the box. I needed a snack before the pizza is delivered from Domino's. No, I'm not kidding.

Rene-6pm on a Saturday and only on your second beer...you are cutting back

Seriously, I could do alot better with my eating.....and actually that sounds more reachable than trying to swim 1000 yards in 15 minutes......15 minutes of really hard swimming is more intimidating than a month of eating right. Time for a glass of wine, lasagna and then some cookies after that! I still haven't formally set my goal. After we get everyone's goal we should do a post listing them......accountability right? 

2013-02-02 6:17 PM

User image

Master
I'm carbo loading... for the Superbowl.
2013-02-02 6:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

I took one of my favorite rides when I first started a few months ago, a 15 miler with one hill, and added a little detour.  That added 5 miles and four hills.  Plus I was really working on cadence today.  Lower gears, higher RPM the whole way.  Sweat was pouring off me (sorry, too much information).

Now I need to check to see if the LBS ride is on for tomorrow morning.  If so I will ride in the morning and run after the game.  If not, I will shoot for an earlier ride and then run after lunch.  Then I can veg the rest of the day.

I looked at what is on the menu for tomorrow.  Didn't I read somewhere that calories on Super Bowl Sunday don't count?Wink

2013-02-02 6:56 PM

User image

Expert
8 mile run done.  Thinking about setting a goal for me.  Since virtually 100% of my training is s/b/r I am officially setting my goal of doing 1 hour of core work per week.  There I said it, now I have to follow through!  Jim

2013-02-02 7:24 PM
in reply to: #4605938

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

jimmyb - 2013-02-02 7:56 PM 8 mile run done.  Thinking about setting a goal for me.  Since virtually 100% of my training is s/b/r I am officially setting my goal of doing 1 hour of core work per week.  There I said it, now I have to follow through!  Jim

Hey Jim, that's a great idea (about the core).  I'm gonna say it with you.  So there, I said it.  Now we have to hold each other accountable!

2013-02-02 7:42 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Core work..thats a good one. Last year I did  acerain number of push ups each day. Maybe I'll get back into that...so many options
2013-02-02 8:24 PM

User image

New user
I like the idea of a monthly challenge too. I am following a sprint training plan so not sure what I will do. Maybe something with eating though I am doing pretty good with that most of the time. I will come up with something by tomorrow.Super Bowl Sunday will be guacamole, fritos scoops and chili! YummySwim and bike tomorrow prior to eating and couch football time, great sounding Sunday!
2013-02-03 9:19 AM

User image

Master
How about a SuperBowl challenge? Let's post EVERYTHING that we eat during the Superbowl ! We could have several divisions for the winners.
-Most unhealthy food
-Most healthy food (boo)
-Drinks the most alcohol (Randy, I am not going for this award today)
-Best Variety of alcoholic drinks consumed
--Least amount of alcohol consumed
-most interesting Superbowl Story

Grand Prize- Best Superbowl snacks and drinks consumed for the day!

We would need to pick a starting time for the challenge. Pictures of food are also welcome in the challenge.
We could also weigh ourselves before and after the superbowl! lol

Any takers??
2013-02-03 9:22 AM
in reply to: #4605938

User image

Master
jimmyb - 2013-02-02 6:56 PM

8 mile run done.  Thinking about setting a goal for me.  Since virtually 100% of my training is s/b/r I am officially setting my goal of doing 1 hour of core work per week.  There I said it, now I have to follow through!  Jim

Just for your information my 2nd graders can hold the plank for 90 seconds. They also do 13 pushups in our PE classes..

2013-02-03 9:57 AM
in reply to: #4606285

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Catwoman - 2013-02-03 9:19 AM How about a SuperBowl challenge? Let's post EVERYTHING that we eat during the Superbowl ! We could have several divisions for the winners. -Most unhealthy food -Most healthy food (boo) -Drinks the most alcohol (Randy, I am not going for this award today) -Best Variety of alcoholic drinks consumed --Least amount of alcohol consumed -most interesting Superbowl Story Grand Prize- Best Superbowl snacks and drinks consumed for the day! We would need to pick a starting time for the challenge. Pictures of food are also welcome in the challenge. We could also weigh ourselves before and after the superbowl! lol Any takers??

I'm in for this one!!  I'm also following a sprint training plan so I'll have to think about a goal.  But first thing's first: AM Gym session.  Haven't been to the gym since November!  I did 35 minutes on the elliptical (it says 4 miles but who really knows) and 15 minutes of core and PT.  I'm waiting to see if my shin retaliates.  If not, I may go for 400M on the treadmill next weekend.  

Since I'm hosting, I alread know what's on the menu for today:

meatball subs (beef/turkey with melted provolone)

nachos

chips/dip

steak tips

pizza dip/chips

tortilla chips/guac/salsa

veggies and onion dip and hummus

ZERO alcohol so I'm in the running for that one  All in all not TOO unhealthy on the spectrum of clean eating vs OMG you're going to have a heart attack!

Have a good SUPERBOWL everyone.  I'm rooting for the team that will win me money in the office pool!

2013-02-03 10:25 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I actually didn't know that the Super Bowl was today until yesterday. Yes, I live in a cave... So I'm probably not one to join in that particular challenge. Enjoy the game!
2013-02-03 12:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
I'm up for the Superbowl, but mine will be boring. I'll update everything I take in after 4 o'clock.
2013-02-03 1:33 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good workouts this morning. A lttle cool when I headed out but warmed up nicely. Two hour bike with intevals mixed in followed by a 4 mile brick run. Legs turned over well during the brick and I had to focus to keep things easy.

Not much going on here for the Super Bowl. We are doing "party food" but it will just be myself, wife and daughter. Doubt the cops will be knocking on the door at anypoint  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Mentor Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 66