BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 59

2014-02-10 9:15 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed
Started the week off right with a 55 min trainer ride. Looking to make all my scheduled workouts this week. At 5/28 today.

2014-02-10 10:18 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kevinbe

Started the week off right with a 55 min trainer ride. Looking to make all my scheduled workouts this week. At 5/28 today.

Good on you for making it happen this morning! But you need to step it up and make all those workouts happen. You wouldn't want to get beat by one of those Massachusetts Liberals would you?
2014-02-10 10:21 AM

User image

Expert
11 for 10

Rest week is here and I could use it.... I got in my pool session and did 1000 yards nice and slow. My right shoulder is still a little sore and I'm hoping that a nice easy week will help it heal. Luckily - my hip feels good after my 3 hour ride yesterday which I am THRILLED about!

Have a great week everybody and don't forget to enter those goals
2014-02-10 10:45 AM
in reply to: #4915725

User image

How do I get myself on the spreadsheet? Can I Just add my name in an empty column?
2014-02-10 3:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by Qua17
Originally posted by MOlsen

Went for a good 6 mile run today, foot was a little sore so I iced it afterwards. This weekend I plan on going for an 8 mile run as I ramp up to my first race of the season in just a couple weeks.

Tonight, I'm going to enjoy a nice Irish stout as I watch one of my favorite bands to see live: Young Dubliners (celtic rock).

Hope your foot responds well to the ice! When where and what is your next race. And most importantly, what's your favorite kind of Irish Stout?

Yes, my foot is responding to icing after a run to help reduce the swelling. Sunday I went for a nice 8 mile run and it held up pretty well. Today was about 1600m in the pool, swallowed a bit too much water during the "catch up" one arm drills...

For Irish stouts it's hard to go wrong with Guinness or Murphy's. Most of the local stouts out here on the west coast are oatmeal stouts which are a bit heavier than I tend to prefer.

My first race of the season is the Seaside Half Marathon in Ventura, CA. The course goes up the coast along the Historic Old Rincon Highway, should be a scenic run!

Edited by MOlsen 2014-02-10 3:28 PM
2014-02-10 5:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Did 45 minutes in the pool. Main was 1x500m working on kicking and breathing. Also did a 30min strength workout. Tomorrow it's 60min on the trainer then a 3km brick run.

Edited by adempsey10 2014-02-10 5:51 PM

2014-02-10 10:49 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Getting back into the swing of things. Yoga yesterday and it felt great.

I WENT ON MY FIRST RUN IN 8 WEEKS! I took the Aussie with me and it was fantastic, 2 short easy miles! I also spent 40 minutes in the pool tonight. Feelin good. 187 days until HIM Lake Stevens!
2014-02-11 4:10 AM
in reply to: Brian W

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Doing this. I drank 5 beers tonight. 2 Inversion IPA's from Deschutes, 1 Molsen, puke. and 2 Torpedo IPA's from Sierra Nevada. Hockey tonight got a little heated, the beer cooled me down.

Rest day tomorrow. Keep rolling BDAAS! David, I'm especially impressed by the 3hr. trainer. I've never sat for more than an hour. Liberal or Conservative, that counts for a lot.
2014-02-11 6:17 AM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Hit the pool yesterday. Doing weights today. struggling mentally but I'll snap out of it.
2014-02-11 8:14 AM

User image

Has anyone aqua jogged? It seems like I can do that with a stress ftracture. Will it help me hold onto my running gains?
2014-02-11 9:10 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cape Coral, FL
Still hard wrapping my head around not trying to run or even bike but I'll manage. I am going to try and get to the pool at least 4x a week to make up for it and who knows maybe I'll get a bit faster in the process. I am doing my therapy like a good little patient should. I have my new plan plugged in to start on Sunday April 13th. I'm more than optimistic that 9 more weeks of intense therapy will have my ITB calmed down enough to start back up. The reason I planned on April 13th is that puts me 28 weeks out from the HIM in Miami. There are a few friends doing that race and I'd like to go with. I'm sure I will sprinkle some sprints in there after 3 months of being back in full training.

2014-02-11 10:51 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Originally posted by b2b14

Has anyone aqua jogged? It seems like I can do that with a stress ftracture. Will it help me hold onto my running gains?

While I have not done it personally, I've seen it recommended as a way to help maintain run fitness when recovering from an injury.

2014-02-11 1:07 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by MOlsen

Originally posted by b2b14

While I have not done it personally, I've seen it recommended as a way to help maintain run fitness when recovering from an injury.

Hey! As you may (or may not) know I just completed 8 weeks of no running due to a stress fracture. Aqua jogging is great for maintaining your run fitness during this time. Yes you will lose a bIt of fitness as it is lower impact/intensity but it definetly is a great way to keep the legs moving and it makes returning to running much much easier. I highly suggest aqua jogging and if you have never the slightest inclination of a stress fracture/injury STOP running now... Running grows in pain and seriousness exponentially-as triathelete we have many other avenues for working out during a break period.

I spent my stress fracture time improving my swim mostly (my biggest weakness) with some aqua jogging mixed in.

Good luck and let that strange new belt be your best friend!
2014-02-11 1:09 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
THIS IS HOW NOT TO RUN. it appears I've developed a strange new terrible habit after 8 weeks of not running. I've usually had good form so the correction should be relatively easy for me but still.

This photo is the epitome of what not to do (especially coming back from a stress fracture!)

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (497KB - 5 downloads)
2014-02-11 1:54 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Sorry for the triple post.

I videotaped myself today in my brooks Adreline GTS (a stability shoe) and then went for a barefoot run. It's amazing how my gait "changed" while barefoot. The idea being that my "natural" (with brooks) gait is not natural at all. I land dead center mid foot, don't have pain in my lower leg etc. while barefoot. It was a much more pleasant experience.

I've been told for years to try something more minimal but stubborn old me was convinced I loved my "cushion" meanwhile this extra shoe has been modifying my gait from the start. It was an interesting and eye opening experience for me.

I suppose I'm just rambling and maybe someone here will find it interesting. Cheers,

David? How is correcting your running form going? Were you a Heel striker or was Cadence your main problem?
2014-02-11 2:00 PM

User image

I've always been a barefoot runner (toe-walker since birth) but switched to minimalist shoes around 3 years ago. I started with Five-Fingers but have since switched to New Balance Minimus. Although I'm a big supporter of forefoot strike I do find that I need a little cushion if I'm running anything longer than a half marathon on pavement. Right now I'm running 11mm-7mm (heel-toe) cushion. Keeps me connected to the ground but gives a little support.

2014-02-11 2:36 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Veteran
Illinois
How's everyone's race calendar coming? I finally sat down with my training plan and coach, and it looks like June is going to be a fun month.

6-1-14: Rev3 Quassy Half (still planning) - C race - going only to finish.
6-8-14: Supporting the wife at Espirit de She in Naperville, IL.
6-22-14: Bigfoot Triathlon, Lake Geneva, WI - oly distance, fun race, finishes with a trail run. Race swag includes a bike jersey. C race.
6-29-14: Twin Lakes - sprint triathlon in Palatine, about 5 miles from home. C race.
7-20-14: IM Racine 70.3 - B race. Pancake flat, so time to bust out the 11-23 cassette and spin spin spin.
August - Madison Open Water Swim - since it's on the same swim course as IMWI. Probalby finish it up with a ride on the IM bike course.
9-7-14: IMWI. A race.

11-4-14: Last Try in Benton, IL - should be fun, and a small crowd means a good chance at a podium. Only 6 in my AG there in 2012 (was canceled in 2013).
11-xx-14: Rev3 Mexico (maybe).
2014-02-11 3:52 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Another big Tuesday for me:

• Bike commute to/from work (4.25 mile each way)
  • Run at lunch for 6 miles.
  • Cardio-kick at gym after work for 45 minutes.

My race schedule is looking pretty good, * including my first Olympic distance triathlon.

• 2/23/2014 Seaside Half-marathon
  • 4/19/2014 MM4k 10k run
  • 4/27/2014 SLO Half-marathon
  • 5/3/2014 Wildflower Sprint MTB Tri
  • 6/28/2014 Tri-the-Bull Sprint Tri
  • 7/27/2014 SLO Triathlon Sprint Tri
  • 8/30/0114 Disney 5k run
  • 9/21/2014 Tri Rock Oly Tri*
  • 10/12/2014 City to Sea Half-marathon
  • 11/2/2014 Morro Bay Oly Triathlon
  • 12/28/2014 San Diego Half-marathon
2014-02-11 8:27 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Brian W

I videotaped myself today in my brooks Adreline GTS (a stability shoe) and then went for a barefoot run. It's amazing how my gait "changed" while barefoot. The idea being that my "natural" (with brooks) gait is not natural at all. I land dead center mid foot, don't have pain in my lower leg etc. while barefoot. It was a much more pleasant experience.

I've been told for years to try something more minimal but stubborn old me was convinced I loved my "cushion" meanwhile this extra shoe has been modifying my gait from the start. It was an interesting and eye opening experience for me.

I suppose I'm just rambling and maybe someone here will find it interesting. Cheers,

David? How is correcting your running form going? Were you a Heel striker or was Cadence your main problem?

I don't know about anyone else but I find it interesting! I'm all about talking about form and stride rate these days... I was a heel striker with a cadence problem. Right now - I've sped up from the high 140's to the low 160's. So that is getting better. Soon - I'm really going to need to find a way to strike midfoot. I need to make the move soon. Once I start ramping up the distance, it will be too late.

I'm with you about cushioning... Would you consider running barefoot?
2014-02-11 8:38 PM
in reply to: adempsey10

User image

Expert
Originally posted by adempsey10

How do I get myself on the spreadsheet? Can I Just add my name in an empty column?

Here is the link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Atf3WryluKZedFQwci1LRFc...

I added you to the bottom row. Saving the best for last
2014-02-11 8:40 PM

User image

Expert

Getting back into the swing of things. Yoga yesterday and it felt great.

I WENT ON MY FIRST RUN IN 8 WEEKS! I took the Aussie with me and it was fantastic, 2 short easy miles! I also spent 40 minutes in the pool tonight. Feelin good. 187 days until HIM Lake Stevens!

That is awesome. It's so nice to come back from an injury and be pain free. So happy for you.

2014-02-11 8:46 PM
in reply to: Burd

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Burd

Still hard wrapping my head around not trying to run or even bike but I'll manage. I am going to try and get to the pool at least 4x a week to make up for it and who knows maybe I'll get a bit faster in the process. I am doing my therapy like a good little patient should. I have my new plan plugged in to start on Sunday April 13th. I'm more than optimistic that 9 more weeks of intense therapy will have my ITB calmed down enough to start back up. The reason I planned on April 13th is that puts me 28 weeks out from the HIM in Miami. There are a few friends doing that race and I'd like to go with. I'm sure I will sprinkle some sprints in there after 3 months of being back in full training.

Holy cow! 9 weeks of PT with no bike or running? That is brutal. I think we should change the name of the ITB to Satan's Band. With 26 weeks you should be able to make that HIM happen! What did the doc say about aqua jogging?
2014-02-11 9:02 PM

User image

Originally posted by adempsey10

Here is the link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Atf3WryluKZedFQwci1LRFc...

I added you to the bottom row. Saving the best for last

Thanks, David!

Race schedule so far is:

April 27 - Forest City Half Marathon, hoping for a PB on this one. B-Race
June 1 - Milton Sprint Triathlon, 750/30/7.5 C-Race
June 14 - Hunstville Band on the Run Half Marathon. C-Race
June 22 - Guelph Lake I Olympic Triathlon, 1.5/40/10 B-Race
August 17 - Mont-Tremblant Ironman, 4/180/42 A-Race

Not doing too many races this summer because of lack of funds and to keep myself fresh and healthy for the Ironman.
2014-02-11 9:05 PM

User image

Expert
Well - if I were to have written this post after only running a mile and a half it would have been two words long: pain free! But during the last half mile - my knee started hurting a bit. But I am still making progress. In fact - there were times today when my hip didn't hurt AT ALL! That's a first in a long time.

Tomorrow - I have another bike fitting. Hopefully that will move me even closer to being able to make that 2 word post a reality.

In other news - I've got a big job fair coming up this Friday and Saturday.
2014-02-11 10:41 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I don't know about anyone else but I find it interesting! I'm all about talking about form and stride rate these days... I was a heel striker with a cadence problem. Right now - I've sped up from the high 140's to the low 160's. So that is getting better. Soon - I'm really going to need to find a way to strike midfoot. I need to make the move soon. Once I start ramping up the distance, it will be too late.

I'm with you about cushioning... Would you consider running barefoot?

I figure barefoot running isn't realistic due to rocks sharp things and the fact that I don't live in a cave haha. I was amazed how differently my legs feel on impact when I went for a short barefoot run in a park today though.

I spent a great deal of time at the NEWTON running lab tonight though. I really enjoy their premise and business plan. Take away the marketing gimmicks of the cushion and reduce drop from heel to toe. This high drop is generally what causes people to "subconsciously change their gait" and heel strike. Upon putting on my new gravity shoes I instantly felt different just standing because your heel is not up and angled.

NEWTON shoes promote forefoot strike but not because this shoe is designed different or has something others don't, in fact it is so much LESS shoe than we are used to. I noticed my NATURAL mid/forefoot strike returned without my huge clunkers. We naturally land and strike mid/forefoot when running barefoot, NEWTON seems to provide just enough shoe to be safe and comfortable without chaning our natural tendencies...even though "natural" for us has changed over the years of running in progressively more and more shoes (atleast for my 8 years of experience)

Not to be too salesman like but I'm really excited about these shoes. Mainly because I'm form obsessed and have noticed how I feel victim to my clunkers. HOKAS felt nice and cushiony but I noticed the extra cushion was treating the SYMPTOM of heel striking (muscle/shin pain-it's why thy feel like running on clouds...you ARE!) But your form still sucks and the clouds mask it. The newtons go straight to the cause by treating and promoting FORM instead of the byproduct of poor form.

David, that's great your Cadence is up. Generally the higher it gets the shorter your stride. The shorter the stride the more "under" your body you land. And when you are landing under your knee it becomes much much harder to heel strike. Hopefully you can keep the number rising. I know In all my years focusing on Cadence really helped me and a lot of the rest followed suit.

Ok off my shoe soapbox now
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation/Accountability Society 3 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 59

RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.

date : March 4, 2008
author : ahilden
comments : 1
Four months ago I set upon a journey to train for and complete a triathlon, and a few Sundays back I raced in the Blue Water Triathlon in Parker, Arizona.
date : April 2, 2006
author : AMSSM
The weather is warming and the season is getting started for many triathletes. Keep these tips in mind to avoid heat cramps, exhaustion and stroke.

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.
date : April 17, 2005
author : sekhmet
We live in a fast-paced society and gym time seems more of a chore than an escape. Rushing through a workout not only yields fewer results but makes athletes prime candidates for injury.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.
date : February 13, 2005
comments : 2
So how sick is too sick to train? The American Medical Society for Sports Medicine answers just that and many other questions.

date : January 24, 2005
New athlete injury Q&A with the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine.