BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-02-17 11:30 AM
in reply to: #1216738

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed
I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I am going to conitnue on my training plan as much as possible this week, but I may not partcicipate in the challange. Between the funeral on Monday and the rest of the week, I am just not sure what I will be able to do when. man, that Giant is one sweet bike. Oh and to answer thequestion from the previous page, I am 40, and will be 41 for my first Tri.

Edited by ditchdoc 2008-02-17 11:31 AM

2008-02-17 11:03 PM
in reply to: #1108061

User image

Master

Just wanted to wish everyone a great upcoming week!  I personally don't have a lot of work this week, so once again I am without excuses for not working out.  My goal again this week, no Yellow/White space on the calendar.  Except for Sunday, rest day, and I am flying out to San Diego on Sunday.  Looking forward to that trip. 

I know there has been some talk of who has races coming up, mine are still a ways out, but I do want to give a shout out to Stayfocused (Jay).  He has a marathon in Albany this coming Sunday, and if you haven't seen his logs, trust me.  He is going to kill it!!!  Remember to stop by and give him some inspires.  Good luck Jay (I would tell you to break a leg, but that would just be mean)!!!

2008-02-18 10:40 AM

User image

Denver,CO
Well with the dog shows I didn't get the swim or bike in. We showed at weird times. So This week after todays showing, I will get started again with serious training.

running- 30 minutes
biking- 15 miles
swimming - 600 yds.

2008-02-18 3:22 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Lance Armstrong just called...

He wanted to tell me good job on my run!!!  Well, it was via my Nike+, but it is the thought that counts. 

Now, I'm kicking @ss!!

P.S.  Endorphins are cool.......

2008-02-19 8:32 AM

User image

**giggle**

You are stoned on endorphins!

Congrats on your run!  And those Nike+ things are cool.  I don't use mine anymore since I have the Garmin, but I like listening to Lance.  His voice is pretty.

2008-02-19 11:14 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

I officially registered for my first tri this morning!

It's not until June 28 and it's a women's only mini at 1/4 mile, 12 miles, 2 miles. I wish it were earlier in the season, as I can't wait to compete, but this looks like the smartest one for me to begin. 

However, with so long to train, instead of my goal being just to complete the race, I now want to place in my AG!

2008-02-19 11:20 AM

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT

Ditchdoc - so sorry to hear about your grandmother.  Best of luck this week, that's never easy. 

Giant - great looking bike you got there!!

Bike fit need - I hope you can find a bike store that will throw in the bike fit.  I know the ones in my area certainly do, as well as provide a 16 month free service package when you order the bike through them.  And trust me, I used the free service package plenty, was a great deal actually.  I have a Trek 1200 road bike which is great, came in around $1,000.  My tri bike is a Trek Equinox, the white one.  I upgraded the wheels and components and that came in around $2,500.  Best of luck shopping.

I'm off for my lovely winter marathon this weekend.  Thank you for the "inspires" I've received, much appreciated!

Jay

2008-02-19 10:50 PM
in reply to: #1220347

User image

Master
lkagop - 2008-02-19 11:14 AM

It's not until June 28 and it's a women's only mini at 1/4 mile, 12 miles, 2 miles. I wish it were earlier in the season, as I can't wait to compete, but this looks like the smartest one for me to begin. 

However, with so long to train, instead of my goal being just to complete the race, I now want to place in my AG!

I am sure you are excited!  Nice feeling, eh?  Have you done any events in the past? 5K, etc, or will this be your first event ever?

2008-02-20 9:03 AM
in reply to: #1222651

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

Hi Gang, first iwa nt to thank everyone for all of the warm wishes that you ahve sent. They mean more than you will eevrr know. The service was beautful, and I am sure she would have been very proud. She was methodist and the country church she attended had a huge meal for the family after the funeral. the bad news is I totally blew any good eating habits I amy have developed.  ( plenty pof fried Chicken....)The good news is: at least I stayed away form the dessert table.

I've been doing WAY to much talking about me lately, so how is everyone????

STAY FOCUSED: Best of Luck in your Marathon!!!! Remeber you have all of our support!!!

ikakop congrtas on registering on you first TRI!!!  that is some serious motivation!!!!

Avi and Allen: Kick some but this week guys!!! 

I will be slowy checking in with all of you over the next few days.

2008-02-20 11:33 AM
in reply to: #1223121

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Thanks for the well wishes Bennet and Rueben.  It is a wonderful feeling to be registered.  There truly is no going back now.

Rueben:  Glad the dessert table wasn't tempting.  Your will is stronger than mine.  Again, my best to you during this time...

2008-02-20 11:40 AM
in reply to: #1220347

User image

Master
Vista, CA
lkagop - 2008-02-19 9:14 AM

However, with so long to train, instead of my goal being just to complete the race, I now want to place in my AG!

Congratulations. I guess that's the best way, just to do it -- as Nike says...but I'm nervous. I went out and saw the site of the tri I've been contemplating. It's a 500 meter swim, 14 bike and 3 mile run. Very flat and supposedly very fast. It's also a lake swim and in the desert so it won't be so cold. But I have to say even as I type this my stomach is doing flipturns!

Maybe the group out there can help some -- I know I want to do this, but I'm scared as hell for some reason. I train and workout and part of my thinks/knows I can do this, but it's just scary...why is that?? Do any of you ever ask yourself why you're doing this? And this isn't even a big distance. I feel like the biggest weiner right now. Ugh! Just needed to get that out of my brain and heart.

I am off to do a treadmill run since it's actually raining here today.

2008-02-20 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran

Lora, congrats on making it official....now you have a target.

I am back in the pool finally again on Friday.  Need to remind myself that I have 8 weeks to prepare for 500m and it's indoors....hopefully that will help me with a slow progression instead of ending on the disabled list again.

Jay, good luck this weekend!

2008-02-20 5:33 PM

Veteran
So i started physical therapy, and it sounds promising. I cut back on workouts a little as far as amount per week, how ever im still increasing the distances/times. This has been working very well for me so far since i have more time to recover between workouts. Thank you all for your support and comments. I have been lurking around reading logs and some are you are really kicking butt here! I'm so inspired by this group's dedication. Some of us are even racing!!! There's been several who have been running...congrats to all those who've raced already, and good luck to all those coming up!! I know you'll be great!

~Sarah
2008-02-20 5:57 PM
in reply to: #1223578

User image

Master

lmscozz - 2008-02-20 11:40 AM Maybe the group out there can help some -- I know I want to do this, but I'm scared as hell for some reason. I train and workout and part of my thinks/knows I can do this, but it's just scary...why is that?? Do any of you ever ask yourself why you're doing this? And this isn't even a big distance. I feel like the biggest weiner right now. Ugh! Just needed to get that out of my brain and heart. I am off to do a treadmill run since it's actually raining here today.

Lynn,

Those are perfectly normal feelings.  I feel the same way lots of times.  Fear of the unknown, fear of coming in Dead F'n Last, fear of looking silly.....  Lot's of fears.  But I think, those fears are the reason you are getting out there.  For the feeling you will have after you finish, and say wow, I did that.  You already have a half mary under your belt!  You will kick @ss in the sprint tri.  There is an article related to this very topic on the front page of the site written by someone with six years of triathlon under their belt.  Check it out.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1270

I really hope fear isn't what quieted this group down lately!!!  Just by being here you guys are ahead of 90% of the population!!  Stay motivated.

Bennet

2008-02-20 9:02 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

Hey Guys,

Sorry for going MIA.  I got busy with the stock show and then got discouraged about not having time/energy to train
and got depressed about it all. I got in the pool yesterday which is a start and hadn't done anything since the 6th which makes me feel even more disgusted with myself.

Ok no more excuses/whining/pitty parties....

Tomorrow..back to regular training log.  I've got an event in 39 days.  

HELP!!!! Thanks for all of the encouragements and checking on me in the inspires.

Les

2008-02-20 9:32 PM
in reply to: #1209702

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
Subject: RE: triOK's group - over 40?

Mama J - 2008-02-13 12:23 PM Some of us over 40 girls are wondering how many of us are there in our group. Ladies in the prime of their lives, please sound off and let us know. Julia

Better late than never....45 on the 9th of Feb. 

2008-02-20 9:49 PM

Veteran
So reading back on all these posts ive missed since being out of the challenge to take care of my knees, i noticed a trend of us telling our age. Then i realized i never really introduced myself and gave you all my story..

SO...I'm 19 years old and was inspired to start training for a sprint after a terrible shoulder surgery to remove a vascular tumor, bone scrape fragments, tissue, and two or three lymph nodes. So this surgery didnt go well and i now have RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy) a chronic pain thing that involves swelling, hypersensitivity and all sorts of fun stuff. I got inspired because after three months i still was laying in bed all day in pain...

I had graduated high school a semester early by taking college classes to attend a music school i got into with a nice scholarship. two weeks into my first semester...i had the surgery. I was there on a percussion honors scholarship. I since had to leave, changed majors and move back home to attend community college while fighting to get into a rehab program to find some pain relief. I'm not going into nutrition with a concentration on exercise and health so i can have a career involved with triathlons!

You all have made an amazing impact on my stay back in my parents house. All of my friends are scattered across the country, some overseas... I honestly owe all of you and this sport a whole lot for helping me keep my life rolling.

With much gratitude,

Sarah
2008-02-20 10:18 PM
in reply to: #1225117

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Sarah -- You're so young to have been through so much already! I admire your tenacity. I may be old enough to be your...well your aunt, Thanks for sharing your story. Is your shoulder well enough to swim now?

`Lynn
2008-02-20 10:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarah, I think we find out that the life we have envisioned when we are 17 or 18, seldom ends up that way.  BUT some of those bumps and turns in the road lead to even a better life than what could have been.  Unfortunately you got hit with that reality at a pretty young age, but it is quite amazing that you have chosen to meet it head on instead of shy away from it and feel sorry for yourself.  I'm sure you have some tough times ahead battling that condition but thats what your support group is for!!!!  Thanks for sharing your story!!
2008-02-20 10:31 PM

User image

Master

Holy cr@p!!!  "The Best Group" lives..... 

It was starting to get pretty lonely around here! 

2008-02-20 10:33 PM

Veteran
yes, I can swim better than i could before...it helps the circulation so the discomfort is worth it.
Thank you all for your feed back, though i wasnt expecting any!

Sarah

2008-02-20 11:25 PM
in reply to: #1225079

User image

Master
Vista, CA
denny.l - 2008-02-20 7:32 PM

Mama J - 2008-02-13 12:23 PM Some of us over 40 girls are wondering how many of us are there in our group. Ladies in the prime of their lives, please sound off and let us know. Julia

Better late than never....45 on the 9th of Feb.

Happy
Belated birthday -- Pisces woman
2008-02-21 8:55 AM
in reply to: #1225261

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

WOW Sarah, That was very motivational. You have been through so much already at such a young age!!! kjeep up the hard work... but even more so...Keep up that attitude!!!

Oh BTW 40 y/o

and my first sprint will be April 19th 8 days after I hit 41.

GO GANG!!!!

2008-02-21 9:21 AM

User image

Wow… we have some *real* hardcores in here.  As much as I love BT and (most of) the people that post here, every once and a while people tend to lose focus about what this site really is.  You all make me so proud and are a constant reminder of why I love this sport so much.  The BTers I know, and those that I haven’t gotten to meet yet, are simply amazing people and I also feel very blessed that you are here.  This past year was extremely difficult on me as well, and I am not sure where I would be without BT.  That may sound cheesy to some, but I have friends on this site that have pulled me through the hardest times in my life.  I doubt I would be here in Michigan if it hadn’t been for Rick (rkreuser), trixie (Lisa) and the rest of BT Michigan (as nutty as they are).  I am glad that you all have been able to find friends here too, and as you begin to go to races, look for other BTers.  They are a fun group. J
So we are signing up for races, are we?  YES!!!  It’s really normal to feel uneasy about signing up, but you have to have faith in yourself and in your training.  For those that haven’t been to a race before, your first one is really scary… especially when you see some of the bikes and ripped bodies to match.  But you’ll quickly discover that those people are not the ones you should be intimidated by… No one there is judging you, or thinking about how ridiculous you look, or questioning why you are there.  Most of the time, everyone is so focused on their own race, they could care less what you are doing.  So don’t sweat it and if you don’t know, ask.  Most people would be glad to help you out and give you some pointers on what to do.  Every race is different and a lot of times, no one knows what to do.  So don’t worry about feeling out of place, because you’re not.  As we get closer to race day, I will make sure to give you some pointers on transition, nutrition (if you need it), and what to expect at a race.  But until then, sign up and train.  That’s your job for now. J
2008-02-21 9:22 AM

User image

BTW, I am 25.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52