BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Caius's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2008-11-20 10:14 PM
in reply to: #1819236

Veteran
Idaho
Subject: RE: Caius's Group - CLOSED

Ok I don't know where to start.. the snow ball fight or the "screw shoe " idea lol. Well no snow yet but you can feel it coming that or I am just not ready for it so I started whinning early this year The screw in the shoes idea...ummm... and I went to the sports store last year and spent 20 bucks on these cleat things  you put on your soles.  The other idea is much cheaper, what was I thinking !! 

I got to the gym again tonight, I have a bit more than just a few weeks off so I am building back up again.  Caius get over your cold , that'sno fun at all!

Have a good weekend everyone !

2008-11-25 1:52 PM
in reply to: #1355942

User image

Elite
Ontario

Just checking in with everyone - we're all starting to go a little quiet on our forum now that the season is over.  But I guess this is to be expected.

I went for my "long" run on Sunday, and it was absolutley awful.  Slow pace, high HR - no idea what was going on, but it wasn't fun, and I only lasted for an hour.  On the flip side, did a nice steady 7.5km run at lunch today and everything just felt good.  Didn't try to push it, but didn't really hold back, and HR cooperated with the level of exertion.

Hope everyone is staying motivated as it gets cold and dark outside.

Neil

2008-11-25 3:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
Neil, I wouldn't say 8min's/mile is slow!

Actually I'll have a "sluggish" period every now and again. I feel as though I'm just coming out of one of those right now. I think mine was due to overtraining actually. My arms were just dead during my swims and it was a struggle to complete my workouts. I was forced to take a week off due to illness. I just got back to the pool this week and now my swims feel normal again. I'm pretty bad at judging my own fatigue levels, but eventually my body will let me know.

Well, it seems the last of the good weather has passed and I'm religated to indoor training for awhile. I'm pretty tired of all of the music I have on my ipod right now. What do you all like to listen to when your running or biking? I usually just listen to the voices in my head when I'm swimming Looking for some fresh ideas to help in the motivation department...
2008-11-25 3:41 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
I pulled out an old mix CD with the Cult and Red Hot Chili Peppers.  That's kept me moving on the trainer so far, but I'll have to add some other selections as well - something fast that I can just get into.  When I run I don't listen to music anymore - just always had issues with the wires getting tangled, volume too low / too high.  I just got frustrated, so now I run with the voices in my head.
2008-11-25 4:13 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

Tim!  Dude!  There was a whole thread a few weeks ago on BT about music entitled "What do you listen to when you run?"  I copied some of it to download onto my iPod.   Caius, slap me if I'm overstepping my bounds, but I thought with some Christmas money, I'd try some of this music from fellow BT'ers....

"Technologic" - Daft Punk
"The Distance" - Cake
Lose Yourself" - Eminem
"The Middle" - Jimmy Eat World
Remember the Name- Fort Minor
Til I collapse- Eminem
Heart of a Champion- Nelly
Headstrong- Trapt
Reason to Believe- Dashboard Confessional
x gonna give it to ya – dmx
"Wave of Mutilation" - Pixies
"Santa Monica" – Everclear
five finger death punch -  white knuckles
slipknot -psychosocial
three days grace - animal i have become
august burns red - back burner
acdc - thunderstruck, and moneytalks
aerosmith - i dont want to miss a thing woooo
"Jump Around" - House of Pain
"Wish" - Nine Inch Nails. 
Dropkick Murphys- State of Massechutes or Shipping up to Boston
Float On - Modest Mouse
Vertigo - U2
A Perfect Circle - The Noose
Beck - Youthless
Nickelback - Animals
Fort Minor - Remember The Name
Hedley - Hand Grenade
Sugarcult - Pretty Girl
Weird Fishes - Radiohead
Machinehead - Bush
Been caught stealing - Jane's Addiction
Inside the fire - disturbed
down and out - tantric
lit up and whiskey in the morning- buckcherry
Stranglehold by Ted Nugent
Lose Yourself  -  Eminen Trouble  -  P!nk
I'm Shipping up to Boston  -  Dropkick Murphys
"I'm Too Sexy"--Right Said Fred
Limp Biskit
Jump Around - House of Pain
Sex on Fire - Kings of Leon
Jammin' - Bob Marley
She Moves in Her Own Way - The Kooks
Hey Ya! - Outkast 
Pump It -- Black Eyed Peas
Daft Punk – Technologic
So What by Metallica
Lose Yourself – Eminem
"The Hunter" - Danzig
"Fa Fa Fa" - Datarock

"Time to Pretend" - MGMT
"Over and Over" - Hot Chip
"Lights and Music" - Cut Copy
"My Favorite Thing" - Bob Mould
"1,000,000" - NIN
"Let Go" - Paul van Dyk
"Move Away" - The Killers
Crazy Frog - I like to move it
Riton - Candy
Black Eyed Peas - Pump it
Fatboy Slim - Rockafeller Skank
Jimmy Eat World - The Middle, Let It Happen
Daughtry - Home
Social Distortion - (Leaving You) Far behind - great one for race day too
(Anything by Social Distortion!)
Carolina Liar - I'm not over
Incubus - Drive
3 Doors Down - It's Not My Time
REM - Man On The Moon - a great live version from ITunes - "if you believe..." - for that last hill on the way home, the 13th mile, etc.
Paralyzer- Finger 11
Big Wheel- Tori Amos
Leah- Donny Iris
Shut your eyes- Snow patrol
"My Mathematical Mind" - Spoon
"Excuse Me Mister" - Ben Harper
"Three Little Birds", "Get Up Stand Up", "Exodus" - Marley
"White Room" - Cream
"Rodeo Clowns" - Jack Johnson
"Treat Yo Mama" - John Butler Trio
"Me and Jiggs" - Josh Ritter
"Achilles Last Stand" - Zeppelin
"Run Like an Antelope" - Phish
"Rollin' In My Sweet Baby's Arms" - String Cheese Incident 

Again, this is a BT thread from a few weeks ago for "running" music on your MP3 or iPod.  So, I snagged it.

Edited by orange223 2008-11-25 4:29 PM
2008-11-25 5:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
Thanks for the ideas! BTW - here are my current playlists. They are kind of all over the place, but you can tell I am a child of the 80's!

Running:
The Ballad of Jayne - LA Guns
Love Song - Tesla
Wonderful - Everclear
Santa Monica - Everclear
I will buy you a new life - Everclear
Father of Mine - Everclear
The Middle - Jimmy eat world
Joyride - Roxette
Girls School - Britny Fox
Youth gone wild - Skid Row
Yankee Rose - David Lee Roth
Sweet Home Alabama - Lynrd Skynrd
Sex Type Thing - Stone Temple Pilots
Rainbow in the dark - Dio
The Pretender - Foo Fighters
Breaking the chains - Dokken
Dont treat me bad - Firehouse
I remember you - Skid Row
Lay it on the line - Triumph
The Look - Roxette
Vertigo - U2
Been caught stealing - Janes Addiction
Hey there Delilah - Plain White T's

Biking:
Island in the sun - Weezer
Pork and beans - Weezer
Summertime Girls - Y&T
Fly to the angels - Slaughter
I wanna be sedated - The Ramones
Since you been gone - rainbow
I'm going to be - The proclaimers
Master of Puppets - Metallica
In the end - Linkin Park
Any way you want it - Journey
Iron Man - BNlack Sabbath
Lit up - Buck Cherry
Shake Me - Cinderella
High Enough - Damn Yankees
House of pain - Faster Pussycat
Are you gonna be my girl - Jet
YOu really got me - The Kinks
Domino - Kiss
In the end - Linkin Park
All over you - Live

Edited by Timmeh! 2008-11-25 5:41 PM

2008-11-26 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

My iPod is full of 80s as well, all of the Linkin Parks, missing only two Nickelbacks (to include the latest one).  Some of your music listed there brings back some fuzzy memories... heheheh!

Anyone working out a tad extra this weekend to work off some excess eating?  I had a great swim this morning, will bike this afternoon after leaving the office early, and will run tomorrow morning before the inlaws pile in on top of us for 3 or 4 hours.  Not much else planned for the weekend.  I like it that way!

2008-11-28 7:52 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario
I've got my son's birthday party on Saturday - will try and sneak out for a run beforehand, and then we're planning on going to a local Santa Claus parade on Sunday.  We're expecting the possibility of a big dump of snow on the Sunday, so I'll be in the basement riding the trainer at some point.
2008-11-28 10:34 AM
in reply to: #1826059

User image

Extreme Veteran

I could definitely run to *some* of that music.  "Ah Leah", "I Like to move it", Right Said Fred, "Pump it" - I love it!  I usually run to the music in my head and I think those songs will be playing for my longish run on Sunday!

2008-11-28 11:32 AM
in reply to: #1829315

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
GoFaster - 2008-11-28 7:52 AM

I'll be in the basement riding the trainer at some point.

I was in the basement on the trainer last night as well. It was a post thanksgiving dinner/pre-emptive I want more pie ride!
2008-11-28 11:34 AM
in reply to: #1829450

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
tracyhmcd - 2008-11-28 10:34 AM

I could definitely run to *some* of that music.  "Ah Leah", "I Like to move it", Right Said Fred, "Pump it" - I love it!  I usually run to the music in my head and I think those songs will be playing for my longish run on Sunday!

I accidentally got right said Fred stuck in my head once, it wasn't pretty

Have a great run!

2008-11-28 11:42 AM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

What is y'all's favorite Christmas season indulgence?  Something that you like at this time of the year that  you wouldn't generally touch during the competitive season? 

Mine is my mom's (and mother in law makes a good one too!) homemade coconut cake.  Also, down south here, we have something called "Boiled Custard."  It is like egg nog (whic I don't like), but this is much sweeter, richer, and a gazillion calories.  I can only drink a small, orange-juice sized portion and I feel bloated.  But man, is it good!  By the fire at night, while watching football on TV, while putting up the Christmas tree (which we'll do tomorrow).  Yum.

2008-11-28 3:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
Anything in the "cake, cookies, and pie" catagory is a weakness of mine. Usually there is something in the house this time of year, but I try real hard not to have it around at other times as I simply cannot resist it!

I have never heard of boiled custard but I must say I would have to try it if I came across it.

I just had a piece of chocolate cream pie for recovery after todays swim.
2008-11-29 2:45 PM
in reply to: #1829720

Veteran
Idaho

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving. Spent mine with my husband and daughter kind of quiet which is good 'cause I have houseful of relatives coming for Christmas I just found out lol. To try to catch up to all the postings...I have several CD's worth of USMC marching cadence on my IPOD , with a daughter and son in law in the Marines it's no wonder however I find it fun to run to.  Stuff I like at Christmas, oh boy where do I start ! I am a sugar addict so all the sweet stuff around just gets me. This year like last year I won't have much in the house and I will be planning a head so the parties don't sabotage me, that works well . The boiled custard is something I  had not heard of but would try too. I like a little bit of egg nog this time of year myself.  Hope you all have a great weekend, next week will be busy at work for me, month end closing of the books again. So have a good week if I don't catch up with you before next weekend !!

2008-11-30 3:48 PM
in reply to: #1829512

User image

Extreme Veteran

We put our tree up yesterday and have most of our presents wrapped and under the tree.  This is because we're celebrating Christmas next Sunday (and Santa Claus has been engaged for a special early visit)!  We're leaving for Mexico on Dec. 17!! 

Indulgences:  I love eggnog (usually the low fat kind but on Xmas day the good stuff) in my morning coffee every day during December.  My mom's Christmas cake was always wonderful, although a lot of people don't like Christmas cake!  It was dark and rich, full of fruit and nuts and cherry liqueur.  Yum!!  We don't make it anymore as it costs a gazillion dollars for the ingredients.

We should all have some virtual boiled custard over the holidays!

Cheers!

Edited by tracyhmcd 2008-11-30 3:49 PM
2008-11-30 4:42 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Favorite indlugence - mince pies.  Sounds like they should have meat, but it's mostly raisins.  Not healthy in the slightest, but oh so good.  I also love fruit cake - I know it gets knocked contantly, but I can't get enough of it!

2008-11-30 7:38 PM
in reply to: #1831143

User image

Extreme Veteran

GoFaster - 2008-11-30 3:42 PM Favorite indlugence - mince pies.  Sounds like they should have meat, but it's mostly raisins.  Not healthy in the slightest, but oh so good.  I also love fruit cake - I know it gets knocked contantly, but I can't get enough of it!

The original mince meat actually has meat in it, if I recall.  Yikes!

2008-12-01 4:08 PM

User image

Expert
Toronto

Happy belated Thanksgiving to my American friends!

I've had to recently move to the next biggest notch in my belt so for me the "off season" has officially ended!

As for Christmas time indulgences, that's my problem...I indulge in that stuff all year round. Even during peak of fitness. I mean, I eat pretty healthy. Lots of fruits, a good amount of veg, not much read meat, try to eat mostly organic stuff, low cal, low fat, very rarely drink juices or pop, etc. but when it comes to deserts...watch out. Ice cream, cakes, cookies, you name it. Boiled custard? Never heard of it, but bring it on. Sounds delicious! I have no self control.

One of the problems is that my wife is a junk food aholic. She loves to have all kinds of tempting yummy treats around the house. But, she can have like a tiny square of a chocolate bar, or maybe 3-4 spoons of ice cream and she's good. Me? No way. Got a chocolate bar? I'll eat the whole thing. Ice cream? I'll take half a tub please. Like I said, I have no self control.

During the peak training months this is not a problem as I burn it off no problem. But now in the off season, I find it hard to cut down the caloric intake to match the much lower caloric burn.

I'm working on it

2008-12-05 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
I had the afternoon off today, so I spent it drooling at the LBS. Sat on a felt b2. It was probably a VERY bad idea.............
2008-12-07 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

Yeah Tim, seeing that 2009 Cervelo P2C (with the oh so cool gray/silver/blue color scheme!) a few weeks ago in a tri shop took my breath away! 

I have a bike question:  What is the difference between a clincher tire and a tubular?  I presume tubular has something to do with inner tubes?

2008-12-07 11:09 AM
in reply to: #1842442

User image

Expert
Toronto

Howdy Terry!

See page 22 of our thread. There's cutaway drawing of tubies vs clinchers and some pros and cons. Happy reading!

2008-12-07 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
Had a nice run on the home treadmill today. Now I think we should all head to Terry's for some boiled custard!

Yeah Terry, those new bikes sure are sweet. I also saw a nice QR Chicquilo last years model on sale that would fit my wife perfectly. She absolutely insists she does not want a new bike though

There's a nice article in the Jan Triathlete on tubulars vs clinchers as well.

Have a great day and stay warm!!!
2008-12-07 2:53 PM
in reply to: #1842598

User image

Expert
Toronto

Howdy Tim, tell me about your treadmill. I've been thinking about getting one for a couple of years and I think this time I'm actually going to go ahead with it. It's BITTER cold today and have no desire to go outside. Plus, my wife said that she would use it if we had one; the remote possiblity that she could learn to run and join in me even once in a while sounds very exciting.

Any words of advice on treadmill shoppin? I checked all the typical google recommended links and am looking for some first hand experience.

Edited by caius 2008-12-07 4:00 PM
2008-12-07 3:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hi Caius,

We have a Nordictrack model number exp1000i that we purchased from sears. It is about ten years old and we have never had a problem with it. I stay at quite a few hotels for work and I still am amazed that their newer fitness room treadmills still don't compare to this one. I haven't shopped around for these in quite a while, but if and when the time comes I'll definately get another nordictrack.

It is fun to have especially this time of year! My wife and I use it quite a bit and the kids (ages 6 & 9) are starting to get into it as well.

Good Luck in your search!
2008-12-07 4:35 PM
in reply to: #1842494

User image

Master
Franklin, TN
caius - 2008-12-07 11:09 AM

Howdy Terry!

See page 22 of our thread. There's cutaway drawing of tubies vs clinchers and some pros and cons. Happy reading!

How did I miss that thread?  Must have been a busy week that week!  Thanks for the info.  I saw the article in the Jan Triathlete mag, but didn't know the technology between the two - i.e. how they mounted to the rim until I just reread pg. 22.  I've always used clinchers.

I need a treadmill too.  My 33 degree run was really cold today!  A coworker told me to look at Sears "scratch & dent" location.  We have one here in Nashville.  I'll see if I get some extra Christmas money.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Caius's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38