Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 78

2008-08-06 9:41 PM
in reply to: #1586514

User image

Expert
B'ham
Subject: RE: swbkrun's group - FULL

My father-in-law is talking about getting one of those swim spas too.  Unfortunately for me, they live 2x further away than the gym is from our house.  That would be cool to have, you must have a very understanding spouse.  I can't imagine the response if I said I wanted to put one in, but I can guarantee that I'd record it because it would be hilarious (or serve as evidence in court )

2008-08-07 6:25 AM
in reply to: #1369643

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Love the idea of a swim spa. I think I would have to put it in the garage and then move into the garage also. Let us know how it goes.
2008-08-07 7:18 AM
in reply to: #1587104

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
That would be pretty cool.  Probably though a bit addicting being so close.
2008-08-07 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

I just got a massage during lunch. aaaaaaaggggghhhhh!  That felt good!

I officially requested a refund for my Annapolis Olympic   and worst of all, I think I am going to do that crazy SavageMan race at the end of September.  You guys thought I was a baby about seaweed, now I have the cold, the wet and the hills to cry about.  My husband owes me BIG TIME!!!!  (I'm thinking a pair of aerobars would work as a thank you - what do you guys think?)  By the way, have I mentioned I hate hills and the cold?

I went for an OWS last night. First one since my last race.  Swimming in a crowd of people in open water is much different (and better in my opinion) than just 2 other people.  At one point my swim cap starting hissing, that about did me in!!! WTH!  But I'm glad I did it.  I should try to do that at least a couple times a month, just to get use to swimming with waves and currents.  And besides, I met a fellow BTer out there, that is always a good thing.

Baowolf, I'll be interested to hear how you like the pool. Is that going to be one of those Endless Pools you see advertised, or are you going for the whole 9 nine yards (or 25 as it would be)?

2008-08-07 1:18 PM
in reply to: #1586514

User image

Calgary, Canada
Baowolf

Wow, an indoor swimming pool. How did you get that approved with your wife? I always wanted an endless pool in my basement. Maybe if I promised my wife to develop the whole basement, she might agree to spend $ in the pool....? What model, how big, we need more details please.

Does anybody have some experience with the Vasa swim trainer?
http://www.vasatrainer.com/
2008-08-07 1:26 PM
in reply to: #1588129

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Igo, that looks dangerous!   I would certainly hang myself trying to use that.  Did you first get exposed to that in a gym or something?

Edited by tahrens 2008-08-07 1:26 PM

2008-08-07 1:31 PM

User image

Champion

Steve, I saw this and wondered where your report was....

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=127151&posts=8&start=1

Seems like it would be right up your alley.

2008-08-07 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1588129

User image

Champion

ITan - 2008-08-07 2:18 PM Baowolf Wow, an indoor swimming pool. How did you get that approved with your wife? I always wanted an endless pool in my basement. Maybe if I promised my wife to develop the whole basement, she might agree to spend $ in the pool....? What model, how big, we need more details please. Does anybody have some experience with the Vasa swim trainer? http://www.vasatrainer.com/[/QUOTE]

I've seen ads and infomercials on the halo swim trainers but not the Vasa.

2008-08-07 1:39 PM
in reply to: #1588142

User image

Calgary, Canada
Tracy

You mean using the "I will develop the whole basement" argument to get a endless pool? It would kill me, but if that is what it takes...
As of the Vasa trainer, no I have never even seen one in real life. I got the promotional video of their website. As I hate doing weights (hurt too much), I know that my swimming form deteriorates as my upper body muscles get tired. My swim coach tells me that I do not finish my stroke, eg push the water at the end of the stroke at later stages of the 1hr swimming lessons. I am just too tired. Being under time constraints by having kids, a device that let me work out at home seems ideal to me
2008-08-07 3:15 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
K k details. The pool I am getting is the Swimex brand. It is 7 1/2 ft by 14 ft by 50 inches deep for swim area ( and well seats and jets for after the swim or for the wife to enjoy or ... ) The Swimex differs from all other endless pool type designs in that its water stream is as wide as the pool is and 18 inches deep of current ( 36 if you pay $$), the water cycles under the pool area and then back to the front of the pool again resulting in a constant circulation of water. The pool boasts a 7.5 hp engin that should reach a steady current of up to 4 mph with 99 pregressive speed settings. Thus 25 = 1mph, 50 = 2 mph, 75 = 3 mph etc. You can program it to work you through intervals automatically increasing and decreasing the current speed. If you go splat against the back of the pool it automatically shuts off. My two yongest chldren should be able to watersk in it 8). The propulsion is produced by a large paddlewheel. You can read about it on the web if you are interested. I did try one out at someone's house.

And swimming in a 12 yard pool after swimming ows in the lake all summer sucks. And the local pool closes in 3 weeks until next summer. I can't train with 10 months of the year with no swimming.

BTW I like the total immersion swim style, no real armstrength needed no long pull on the water to tire you out, etc. I would recomend it to any tri folks.
2008-08-07 7:21 PM

User image

Expert
B'ham

So I'm in Eugene, OR for a week supporting the opening of a new hospital here and I have to say this place is absolutely amazing.  The facility does not feel like a hospital - more like the nicest million square foot resort you've ever been in.  Just some of the highlights:

• The cardiovascular rehab area has a gym w/ track that puts my gym to shame - treadmills, stairmasters, cybex weights, free weights, yoga room.  It also has a Food Network type Demo Kitchen where patients learn to cook more healthily
  • Pediatrics has a "Tree House" - an exterior corner of the building w/ a rubber floor (made of recycled shoe soles - Nike is big here) and toys, basketball etc for kids or siblings.
  • Most of the patient rooms look have a view of the river
  • By far the most technologically advanced facility I have ever seen - you name it and it's automated.
  • Most of the hallways have hardwood or similar components.  None of the walls are "hospital white", all are warm tones and the lights have softer tones to them. There is also wood panelling all over the place
  • The two-story atrium at the main entry is amazing w/ a floor to ceiling fireplace/rock chimmeny.  You feel like you should be checking in and heading to the pool or spa.  A grand piano is in the rear of the atrium and a Chapel w/ amazing carved glass is on the 2nd floor mezzanine.
  • All of the patient rooms are private w/ flat screen TVs and a day bed for family to stay the night.

There is some information here.  Having to be away from my family for a week isn't fun, but this is definetly a once in a lifetime opportunity.

2008-08-07 7:36 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Sounds fabulous.  Maybe some day I'll get lucky and get sick in Eugene!!!!   Think they'll let you sneak a few workouts in their fabulous cardio facility?    Forget staying at a hotel, just stay in a hospital room.
2008-08-07 10:10 PM
in reply to: #1588926

User image

Expert
B'ham

I'd stay there over this hotel room if I could, but it'd probably cost about $1200/night.  Room service though...

2008-08-08 6:16 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Sounds Fantastic Matt. My brother is a nurse in Oregon but I am not sure if it is in Eugene. He lives in a lttle place called Burns and commutes about 90 miles to work each week. From the sounds of things I hope he is working at the new hospital.

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend. To all the rest of us, let's just have a great weekend.

Edited by Redknight 2008-08-08 6:17 AM
2008-08-08 9:06 AM
in reply to: #1589347

User image

Champion

Met a friend of a friend this morning with my wife and we went swimming in a lake near their house.

It felt so great, didn't have any of the issues I had in my tri, was just able to do my normal stroke with no problems. 

We are going to meet again on monday.

Only downside is it looks like we swam a mile and sadly wasn't even 1/2 mi when I mapped it out at work.  Distances in the water look so much longer.

2008-08-08 9:50 AM
in reply to: #1589614

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
dalessit - 2008-08-08 10:06 AM

Met a friend of a friend this morning with my wife and we went swimming in a lake near their house.

It felt so great, didn't have any of the issues I had in my tri, was just able to do my normal stroke with no problems. 

Only downside is it looks like we swam a mile and sadly wasn't even 1/2 mi when I mapped it out at work.  Distances in the water look so much longer.

I had the exact same experience in my OWS this week. It is amazing how that little black line makes you feel like you're making progress.  Glad to hear you didn't have any issues.  That's great.

By the way, I am officially signed up for the SavageMan International!  After September 21,  I'll change my user name to SavageWoman!!! Ggggrrrrrrrrr.  By the way, what the heck is the difference between an Internatioal and an Olympic?

2008-08-08 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1589750

User image

Champion

I am not sure there is any difference between the two.

Will be anxiously waiting for your RR after savagemanLaughing

2008-08-08 10:56 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I was looking at the Half iron workout schedule on BT and had a few questions. My main concern is that there aren't any long workouts on that plan. At no point are you doing like a full 50 + mile bike or a 13 miles ish run etc.

Any thoughts about whether it is fine to never to do the long rides etc. and focus on more frequent shorter workouts?

Also, any thoughts on fitting in training that is run specific for a full marathon when still trying to keep in shape in the other elements?

The marathon plans I have looked at have a long run once a week that goes like 13 15 17 19 20 or something like that over a 20 week plan.

Open to whatever feedback, I want to train smart, but am unsure about short verses long workouts.
2008-08-08 11:53 AM
in reply to: #1589965

User image

Expert
B'ham

Disclaimer:  I have no authority on any of these subjects, this is purely from what I've read and what seems logical.

The fact that the training plan doesn't ever cover the race distances doesn't surprise me.  The  half marathon plans I've looked at have the longest run at 10 miles.  The assumption is that the race day adrenaline and your conditioning will carry you through the remaining 3.1 and the same principle applied to marathon training with long runs being about 22 miles.  I can see that being applicable for the HIM too, I'd just assume there were longer bricks involved to condition you to the duration of the race.

As far as incorprating marathon training into tri, that's something I'm struggling a little bit with now too.  I've started training for a half-marathon and the plan calls for 4 runs/week.  I've altered the plan (3x/week, tossing out a short run) to allow for s/b until my final race of the season next weekend.  After that I plan to follow the plan more closely and s/b as it's convenient.  I know that doesn't help much, but the options I'd see are:

1.  Find a marathon plan and incorporate swim and bike where it fits

2. Find a IM plan and do the run training and back off on the s/b volume but do as scheduled.

2008-08-08 11:58 AM
in reply to: #1590141

User image

Champion

My wife is doing an Olympic plan and just switched out the runs in the plan with her Marathon training plans.

She never gets over 20 miles or so for her marathon plan, which from every running plan I have seen is pretty typical.

My olympic and sprint programs have all had me go longer than what I would do in a race, not sure about HIM plans, not quite there yet.

2008-08-08 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
On some of the forums I've heard people have the same complaint about the HIM training plans. The general consensus I got was the advise to add some yourself towards the end.

2008-08-08 1:24 PM
in reply to: #1589750

User image

Champion
tahrens - 2008-08-08 10:50 AM

I had the exact same experience in my OWS this week. It is amazing how that little black line makes you feel like you're making progress.  Glad to hear you didn't have any issues.  That's great.

By the way, I am officially signed up for the SavageMan International!  After September 21,  I'll change my user name to SavageWoman!!! Ggggrrrrrrrrr.  By the way, what the heck is the difference between an Internatioal and an Olympic?

How much do you wear your wetsuit?  I haven't worn one yet and my thought is not to wear one unless I absolutely have to (in training) that way when I can't use one because the water is too warm it won't be a dependancy.

2008-08-08 3:49 PM
in reply to: #1590456

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
dalessit - 2008-08-08 2:24 PM
tahrens - 2008-08-08 10:50 AM

How much do you wear your wetsuit?  I haven't worn one yet and my thought is not to wear one unless I absolutely have to (in training) that way when I can't use one because the water is too warm it won't be a dependancy.

I don't have one.  The lake water temp is about 80 degrees now.  I'll rent one when it is closer to my race and train some in it to get use to the feel.  I agree the extra buoyancy will be nice.

2008-08-09 1:38 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
Hi gang. Couldn't sleep. Too much pain in my shoulder. Took a couple of Tylenol3's and have to wait for them to kick in so here I am filling time.
Catching up ove the yesterday's forum talk.
1) difference between and OLy and and Intl. I dont think there is any difference in the distances. Any reference I have seen for either are the same distance.
2) Training for a marathon. I think you already have lots of good advice from people with much more experience than me. I would probably work in more runs and maybe back off the s/b a bit until after the marathon then pick up the full tri training plan again. I woldn't stop the s/b maybe just replace a workout once a week aith an additional run. I haven't seen any trianing plans for a marathon where they do the full distance in training. I would say stick with the training plans as they have been prepared ( for the most part) by people with the experience to know what you need.
3) I only wear a wetsuit maybe once before a race to get the feel of it again. I do all other training without the suit. It really make a huge difference in the floatation but if you come to rely on it then I don't think you will be a s strong or effective without it whgen the water temp is too high for a suit.
OK t3's are starting to work. Pain down to a dull throb so I am going to try and get some sleep. Have a good weekend all. Talk to you next week.
2008-08-09 8:11 PM
in reply to: #1591796

User image

Expert
B'ham

There is a great trail system here in Eugene, if I wasn't so tired from long days I'd be logging some serious miles.  Pre's Trail, you may have heard of Steve Prefontaine, is a 4.5 mile bark trail that starts about a half mile from my hotel.  It's very easy on the joints and being near UO, the scenery isn't too bad either .

I just got back from a run that was cut short, apparently poor nutrition and fatigue don't lend themselves to quality workouts.  I think I might be in trouble for my race next Saturday. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » swbkrun's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 78