General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 193

2010-01-13 5:20 PM
in reply to: #2612146

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread
Yep - I agree - super short.  Only reason to practice anything like that is if you have issues with going from horizontal to vertical to horizontal position quickly.
Now what IS long (although it flies by on actual day) is the trot from the lake to T1

2010-01-13 9:22 PM
in reply to: #2612582

User image

Master
Dunedin
I'm looking forward to the strippers before that trot. ; )
2010-01-13 9:40 PM
in reply to: #2612953

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

WittyCityGirl - 2010-01-14 12:22 PM I'm looking forward to the strippers before that trot. ; )

I didn't know there were going to be strippers.  Now I have to figure out where to carry my stack of one dollar bills.

2010-01-13 10:05 PM
in reply to: #2612988

User image

Master
Dunedin
I don't know about you, but after paying for registration, travel and a place to stay, those strippers may have to deal with just a high five!
2010-01-13 10:47 PM
in reply to: #2613013

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

WittyCityGirl - 2010-01-14 1:05 PM I don't know about you, but after paying for registration, travel and a place to stay, those strippers may have to deal with just a high five!

I'm not a patron of those places but I hear they frown upon touching.  Don't want to get bounced for illegal contact.  I'll just smile and wave.

2010-01-14 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2609712

User image

Master
PA
tasr - 2010-01-12 12:44 PM 

Jenn this is not direct at you per say.  My dilemma is, why in the world do people ride the course backwards.  Because, it’s harder?  It’s different? 

My opinion this is way wrong.  You ride a race course to become familiar with it.  You can’t do it by riding it backwards.  If it’s because it’s harder, ha I can ride even harder at home.  If others are not bless with having these kind of hill to ride even more so to ride it as raced.  The most challenge part of the course is the last few climbs into town.  In my opinion once again you should know that part in your sleep.  How?  By riding the course the way it’s raced.  Even the Keene decent should be ridden, again for the experience.  The more familiar the more confident you will be.  I feel being confident of a particular course in a key into being faster. 

This is not to reflect or attack anyone’s train philosophy, goals or training plans.  And if you feel 110% confident you know the course have at it.  I have ridden the course several times and still ride it the way it’s raced.  Why because I still learn new thing about the course.  That’s all, just my opinions.

I know you're not attacking; I am in a different place with different goals.   I have done 8 loops on that course.  I will do a handful more also this year prior to the race.   Once I do them again in May or June, I'll be satisfied with what I know to meet my goals. 

OTOH, I do not believe I CAN do the Keene descent backwards.  I honestly don't know if I'm capable of making it up without stopping to walk my bike up half of it.  So one of my own personal goals since the race last year is to keep on practicing riding hills & climbing moutains at home so I can go for it when I'm up there.  And I'll feel like a million bucks when I get it.  Is it as race specific?  No.   But I don't really care, it's something I'm super excited about & for me it will be a HUGE confidence builder for riding in general.  If I had the choice of a 20 min faster bike split or the personal satisfaction of knowing I did something I never thought I could do, I would take the achievement of something I never thought was possible.  Do I want to PR in the race?  Of course.  Is it my only goal?  Not at all.

And fwiw, for me, the last few climbs into town is not the most challenging part of the course.  The most challenging for me is from the 90 degree turn from Jay till you get to the out & back. 

2010-01-14 12:44 PM
in reply to: #2613723

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Jenn,
I am so glad you said that about the challenging bit of the course.  I completely agree.  The part from Jay to Wilmington is definitely the part I found hardest.  And probably second to that is the horrid last hill on the back part of the out and back - but that is probably more psychological and only a very small section.
The cherries and the bears all seemed much more manageable to me!

Jackie
2010-01-14 2:42 PM
in reply to: #2613723

User image

Master
Dunedin
The confidence boost from overcoming a challenging climb is huge mentally, so I see where the training comes from.  Isn't race day 90% mental and 10% physical, anyway? 

=)

gopennstate - 2010-01-14 11:12 AM

I know you're not attacking; I am in a different place with different goals.   I have done 8 loops on that course.  I will do a handful more also this year prior to the race.   Once I do them again in May or June, I'll be satisfied with what I know to meet my goals.  

2010-01-14 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2337428

User image

Swim Question:  If you planned on a 1:10 swim time... where would you seed yourself? 

I've been looking at pictures and videos of past races, and MAN does that swim look crowded.  If this year, as people are predicting, there will be an extra 400 to 500 people, it could get really ugly.  I wonder if a staggered start by AG's would help, or something along these lines. 

2010-01-14 4:56 PM
in reply to: #2614391

User image

Master
PA
WittyCityGirl - 2010-01-14 3:42 PMIsn't race day 90% mental and 10% physical, anyway?
I heard that *IF* you did the work [didn't cut corners on your training], that race day will be 1/3 physical, 1/3 mental, 1/3 nutrition. I would say that was true for me.
2010-01-14 5:04 PM
in reply to: #2614659

User image

Master
PA
Dream Chaser - 2010-01-14 5:44 PM

Swim Question: If you planned on a 1:10 swim time... where would you seed yourself?

I've been looking at pictures and videos of past races, and MAN does that swim look crowded. If this year, as people are predicting, there will be an extra 400 to 500 people, it could get really ugly. I wonder if a staggered start by AG's would help, or something along these lines.

This is a bit of a guess, will be interesting to hear what others say.  I would say 2/3s of the way to the right of the bouys, 5 or 6 rows back.  I went 2/3s of the way to the right and I was in the second line of people and I was perfect.  Swam a 1:04.

Don't get hung up on swimming near the underwater cable.  It's awesome in training b/c you can swim right next to it.  The reality is, if you're more than 6 or 8 feet to the right of it, you really can't see it anyway.  And you're probably going to want to be more than 6 or 8 feet to the right, at least through the half way point.

My opinion, NO to the staggered start.  I LOVE that this is a mass start.  Makes it more fun & more fair IMO.  Everyone for him/herself.

2010-01-14 5:52 PM
in reply to: #2614688

User image

Veteran
Madison, New Jersey
gopennstate - 2010-01-14 6:04 PM

Swim Question: If you planned on a 1:10 swim time... where would you seed yourself?

I've been looking at pictures and videos of past races, and MAN does that swim look crowded. If this year, as people are predicting, there will be an extra 400 to 500 people, it could get really ugly. I wonder if a staggered start by AG's would help, or something along these lines.

This is a bit of a guess, will be interesting to hear what others say.  I would say 2/3s of the way to the right of the bouys, 5 or 6 rows back.  I went 2/3s of the way to the right and I was in the second line of people and I was perfect.  Swam a 1:04.

Don't get hung up on swimming near the underwater cable.  It's awesome in training b/c you can swim right next to it.  The reality is, if you're more than 6 or 8 feet to the right of it, you really can't see it anyway.  And you're probably going to want to be more than 6 or 8 feet to the right, at least through the half way point.

My opinion, NO to the staggered start.  I LOVE that this is a mass start.  Makes it more fun & more fair IMO.  Everyone for him/herself.

That is pretty quick! What is your training pace normally like? I have only been swimming for a year and wonder what a training pace would be to finish that quick.
2010-01-14 6:45 PM
in reply to: #2614766

User image

Master
syracuse
Mcluvin22 - 2010-01-14 6:52 PM
gopennstate - 2010-01-14 6:04 PM

That is pretty quick! What is your training pace normally like? I have only been swimming for a year and wonder what a training pace would be to finish that quick.

cant speak for JenN's swim times, but do a 400 @ 5:20 (1:20/100) or lower and your're there.

Edited by cusetri 2010-01-14 6:47 PM
2010-01-14 8:06 PM
in reply to: #2614676

User image

Master
Dunedin
Toucher.  Good point!

gopennstate - 2010-01-14 5:56 PM
WittyCityGirl - 2010-01-14 3:42 PMIsn't race day 90% mental and 10% physical, anyway?
I heard that *IF* you did the work [didn't cut corners on your training], that race day will be 1/3 physical, 1/3 mental, 1/3 nutrition. I would say that was true for me.
2010-01-14 11:49 PM
in reply to: #2614936

User image

Master
Dunedin
gopennstate - 2010-01-14 5:56 PM I heard that *IF* you did the work [didn't cut corners on your training], that race day will be 1/3 physical, 1/3 mental, 1/3 nutrition. I would say that was true for me.
Speaking of training...I know some folks are being coached, and I think this has been asked before...but where are folks coming up with their training plan? Anyone else have experience following the BT plan? I used it for my first HIM and thought it was pretty much spot on for my goal of just getting to the finish line. I just tweaked the swim workouts to make them more challenging. Anyone know how to get the most bang for your buck following the BT plan? Particularly, the bike workouts? I realize that just following the plan will be fine, but in particular, I'd like to know if someone thinks the bike training is lacking in anything, like important drills I should be doing....
2010-01-15 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New York

Hi WittyCity (and everyone else)
I have mostly been lurking, but I'm using a 36-week training plan from another site. For bike training, it has a lot of volume with some drills (single-leg, gearing pyramids, different cadences but always above 90 rpm). At the moment it is mostly at 75% of max heart rate with some recovery days lower than that; later in the season it adds harder efforts and hills on top of the endurance base. So far, I like it and it seems to be working well to improve my fitness on the bike, which is the sport I have the least experience in. I will be riding my trusty old road bike, can't afford a new bike right now.

Here is a little introduction--This will be my first IM. My goals are to avoid injury and illness during training, finish LP before the 17-hour cutoff, and to enjoy the experience of training for and doing an Ironman, which is a dream I've had for a long time.

My previous background is mostly in running--I've done three 50k races, and one marathon. I've also done a couple thousand miles of long-distance backpacking (Appalachian Trail and Vermont's Long Trail). For tris, I've done 3 sprints and an Oly and they ended too soon--I wished I could be out there all day. I love anything that gets you outside, in motion, for a long time.

I am relatively new to swimming but love it and is has "come easy" to me, maybe the only sport I have some kind of natural knack for. I love swimming in open water, the wavier the better. In the future I hope to do more long-distance, open water swims, just for fun.

But I really need to concentrate on the bike, specifically endurance and HILLS. Lots and lots of hills...

Kelly

2010-01-15 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2615534

User image

Master
Dunedin
Is this from trifuel.com??? I printed out a bike workout last night, since my training plan only said "Long Bike Ride Today". Hahaha. The last long ride, they had me go for 90 minutes, so I'm "assuming" that that's what they want me to do. But, I looked at trifuel.com and the long ride for this week, I think, is 2 1/2 hours.
Anyways, thanks for your post!
KWin - 2010-01-15 9:55 AM

Hi WittyCity (and everyone else)
I have mostly been lurking, but I'm using a 36-week training plan from another site. For bike training, it has a lot of volume with some drills (single-leg, gearing pyramids, different cadences but always above 90 rpm). At the moment it is mostly at 75% of max heart rate with some recovery days lower than that; later in the season it adds harder efforts and hills on top of the endurance base. .

Kelly

2010-01-15 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2615685

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Witty City Girl
If the plan is from a BT one then it should say how long the ride is. If not it's a typo error.  The plans are devised by some well known coaches.   
I have a coach but I have followed and looked at BT plans in the past and if you are a silver member or above there are several choices for plans but I haven't lo then the plans seem fairly detailed.  They also have intervals, tempo, drills etc in them for various parts of the training period

Personally, I think consistent training is KEY to this, and even if you are just basing on one of the plans (I adapt swimming cos I swim with a masters group mostly), if you put the work in consistently they will prepare you perfectly well

Jackie
2010-01-15 10:44 AM
in reply to: #2614766

User image

Master
PA
Mcluvin22 - 2010-01-14 6:52 PM

What is your training pace normally like? I have only been swimming for a year and wonder what a training pace would be to finish that quick.

I swim somewhere in the 1:20-1:30/100 yards as a training pace.  I'm slower in OWS than pools b/c i have [relatively] fast flip turns.  So when I'm swimming with other people, I gain time on the turns and they catch me during the swim portion.  I also rarely swim sets that have anything over200 yds.  So my training times can be faster b/c I do shorter stuff.  This is because I have about the shortest attention span possible.  Even 200s are a stretch.  I'm not sure I could do more than 4!  I grew up as a swimmer, so my pace drops off signifcantly as the swim gets longer. 

In the race I swam easy pace.  But that's b/c the bike & run are what is hard for me.  And the extra effort & energy expenditure it would have taken to swim say 1 hour wouldn't have been worth the 4 mins.   

I want my effort on the swim on race day to be exactly the same as last year.   But yet I want to go sub 1 hour, which means the only way that's gonna happen is if I swim harder in training.  I'm trying to make sure 2 swims/week are with people that are faster than me.  And then whatever my easy pace is on race day, that's what it is.   So if it means I repeat the same time as last year, then so be it.  Too important for me to conserve given I'm about to face 12-13 hours of my weaknesses!
2010-01-15 10:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New York
Yes, WittyCity, I'm using the Trifuel plan. I really like it. I wasn't sure if it was OK to mention the name of another tri site here, but that's the one!

I noticed recently, though, that they had taken the plan off their site and now they have links to a lot of pay-to-use training plans instead. Bleh. You can still get the old free one by Googling Trifuel 36-week Ironman training plan, though--you can find some kind of backdoor link that way. I copied the entire plan and printed it out, because you never know when they'll close that back door. Too bad!

The plan is very detailed, you never wonder what you're supposed to be doing, and it often explains the rationale behind what you're doing, which is cool.
Happy training!
Kelly
2010-01-15 1:25 PM
in reply to: #2615823

User image

Veteran
Madison, New Jersey
GoPennstate, your pretty quick. I am currently swimming around 2 - 2:30 per 100yds but I am not doing flip turns. I usually will try a flip turn every 100 and hope that as I practice it will become more natural. However, for some reason I always feel a little panicked doing a flip turn. I hope that goes away with practice. I am really hoping that I can improve my swim time during training. I am going to buy the Tri Swim Coach dvd and give that a shot. Hopefully, I will begin to see some improvements in my time.

2010-01-15 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2616155

User image

Master
PA
Mcluvin22 - 2010-01-15 2:25 PMGoPennstate, your pretty quick. I am currently swimming around 2 - 2:30 per 100yds but I am not doing flip turns. I usually will try a flip turn every 100 and hope that as I practice it will become more natural. However, for some reason I always feel a little panicked doing a flip turn. I hope that goes away with practice. I am really hoping that I can improve my swim time during training. I am going to buy the Tri Swim Coach dvd and give that a shot. Hopefully, I will begin to see some improvements in my time.
If you can afford it, get some lessons or in person swim instruction.Thanks....i'm similar swim speed (or slower) to a lot around here...tasr, pennstate, jorge, jazz.What I am not quick on is cycling or running, but that's ok!
2010-01-15 11:14 PM
in reply to: #2616155

User image

Master
Dunedin
Mcluvin22 - 2010-01-15 2:25 PMGoPennstate, your pretty quick. I am currently swimming around 2 - 2:30 per 100yds but I am not doing flip turns. I usually will try a flip turn every 100 and hope that as I practice it will become more natural. I am going to buy the Tri Swim Coach dvd and give that a shot. Hopefully, I will begin to see some improvements in my time.
One of the BIG differences you'll see between someone who was a competitive swimmer, and someone who picked it up for triathlon, is distance per stroke....work on that you'll be ahead of the game!! Plus, during a training session here or there you can practice your pacing. Do repeats of 50 yard swims or 100 yard swims and note your times....hopefully, with training, you get faster and don't feel tuckered out trying to maintain your pace. =) Like Jenn (with two n's) said, someone who can critique your stroke can make a HUGE difference for you. Prices vary WIDELY though! A friend of mine taught in the Boston area and it was $45/lesson (I think it was a 30-45 minute session, not exactly sure). Here in a tiny Upstate NY city, the local YMCA charges about $20 for a half hour lesson for non-members, $10 for members. Good luck!!!
2010-01-16 8:04 AM
in reply to: #2616954

User image

Veteran
Madison, New Jersey
Thank you for the tips. I usually incorporate swim golf in my drill (to help improve length of stride) throughout the week and consistently have a score of 75-78. Sometimes I get lucky and score around 73 but it's rare. I usually take around 33 strokes per 50 yds, out of curiosity how many strokes do faster swimmers take per 50?
2010-01-16 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2617088

User image

Master
Dunedin
I personally aim for 16-18 individual pulls per length, so....32-36 per 50?? BUT, that's with a flip turn and a dolphin kick or two off the walls.
Mcluvin22 - 2010-01-16 9:04 AMThank you for the tips. I usually incorporate swim golf in my drill (to help improve length of stride) throughout the week and consistently have a score of 75-78. Sometimes I get lucky and score around 73 but it's rare. I usually take around 33 strokes per 50 yds, out of curiosity how many strokes do faster swimmers take per 50?
New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman USA Lake Placid : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 193