BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2010-08-13 8:27 AM
in reply to: #2775149

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED

Good morning everyone-looks like I will not race on Sunday as planned.  Right calf is improved but nowhere near 100%. Ok for swimming and biking but not running..  Would do the swim/bike portions of the race or look for a relay if the race was close by but too far to go to participate on a limited basis.  Trying to keep pushing the bike and swim while I'm not running.  Dont want to miss several weeks of training by making the calf worse in a race.

Anyone racing this weekend?

Randy 

2010-08-13 10:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
The week is finaly over but not without bang.  My left ear infection has returned.  I've been using plugs since the first one but I guess the meds didn't completely cure it the first time. Doc put me on new prescription, hopefully they'll work 100%. Also, I was expecting my tri shorts and shirt to arrive by now, for the race on Sunday, but not

I tried to get my bike in a shop to tune it but they were all booked.  So I tried to fix my problem which I may have corrected.  I'll do a 30 minutes ride tomorrow to properly test it.  I think it was the front gear shifter, it was in a little too much.  I think it was my daughter dropping the bike that may have mis-aligned it.  She was trying to park her bike beside mine.  She can't wait to go for rides with her dad.  She's now learning without the training wheels.

Getting excited for my first sprint on Sunday, but not for the expected rain.  I've set some goals for each of the 5 steps in the race. The only goal that I made easy is the swim, only because of how poorly I did for the try-a-tri in June and also if it's windy the water will be very rough.  I'm aiming for 1 minute for both transitions, minimum of 18mph on bike, 8:00 min/mile pace fo run.  Swim is 750m, bike is three loops of 10K flat course, run is 2 loops of 3.75K on road/grass/trail.

Have a good weekend every one.

2010-08-13 11:58 PM
in reply to: #3043342

User image

Expert
Salem
sstucker - 2010-08-13 8:11 PM The week is finaly over but not without bang.  My left ear infection has returned.  I've been using plugs since the first one but I guess the meds didn't completely cure it the first time. Doc put me on new prescription, hopefully they'll work 100%. Also, I was expecting my tri shorts and shirt to arrive by now, for the race on Sunday, but not

I tried to get my bike in a shop to tune it but they were all booked.  So I tried to fix my problem which I may have corrected.  I'll do a 30 minutes ride tomorrow to properly test it.  I think it was the front gear shifter, it was in a little too much.  I think it was my daughter dropping the bike that may have mis-aligned it.  She was trying to park her bike beside mine.  She can't wait to go for rides with her dad.  She's now learning without the training wheels.

Getting excited for my first sprint on Sunday, but not for the expected rain.  I've set some goals for each of the 5 steps in the race. The only goal that I made easy is the swim, only because of how poorly I did for the try-a-tri in June and also if it's windy the water will be very rough.  I'm aiming for 1 minute for both transitions, minimum of 18mph on bike, 8:00 min/mile pace fo run.  Swim is 750m, bike is three loops of 10K flat course, run is 2 loops of 3.75K on road/grass/trail.

Good luck on your race Sylvain.  Sorry to hear about the gear not showing up.  Have a great race.
2010-08-14 12:00 AM
in reply to: #3041612

User image

Expert
Salem
slornow - 2010-08-13 6:27 AM

Good morning everyone-looks like I will not race on Sunday as planned.  Right calf is improved but nowhere near 100%. Ok for swimming and biking but not running..  Would do the swim/bike portions of the race or look for a relay if the race was close by but too far to go to participate on a limited basis.  Trying to keep pushing the bike and swim while I'm not running.  Dont want to miss several weeks of training by making the calf worse in a race.

Anyone racing this weekend?

Randy 

Man Tha would be difficult to pullout of a race (motivation wise and money wise).  Haven't had to do that yet.  I'm sure my day will come.  Take care of the calf.

Brian
2010-08-14 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3043342

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis
sstucker - 2010-08-13 10:11 PM The week is finaly over but not without bang.  My left ear infection has returned.  I've been using plugs since the first one but I guess the meds didn't completely cure it the first time. Doc put me on new prescription, hopefully they'll work 100%. Also, I was expecting my tri shorts and shirt to arrive by now, for the race on Sunday, but not

Good luck Sylvain. Despite the obstacles you've had the past couple weeks you'll do great. Have a blast! 

Phil
2010-08-14 3:29 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Sylvain-best of luck tomorrow.

Randy

2010-08-14 4:22 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Long 2 hr. slow and hilly Bike this mid afternoon.  It is a hot one here in Oregon.  I had cool water and cool G2 for about 20 min. into each half of my ride and then after warm water and warm G2.  I even put ice in on the way back after stopping in at a convienence store.
2010-08-15 7:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario
Here is my race report.  Had a very good race, lots of improvements including two transitions under a minute.  Still have lots of work to do.  
2010-08-15 8:54 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Hey everyone.  I'm back from a family outing to the mountains.  We were in the middle of NOWHERE!  No electronic anything.  It was pretty nice, except that the rain changed a planned 6 hour mountain ride into a 2 hour foothills ride.

Randy, sorry you can't race, but it sounds like you're making a wise choice -- as you said to me earlier:  keep your eye on the bigger goal.  Keep stretching that calf and avoid hills and stairs as much as possible.  You might consider doing some walking in place of runs if walking doesn't aggravate it.  Oh, and I suppose I have to mention pool running! 

Sylvain:  GREAT RACE!  That's surely a great way to end a tough week.  You've come a long way.  Your paces are really looking sharp too.  Keep it up!
2010-08-15 8:56 PM
in reply to: #3043906

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
TriGuyBri - 2010-08-14 5:22 PM Long 2 hr. slow and hilly Bike this mid afternoon.  It is a hot one here in Oregon.  I had cool water and cool G2 for about 20 min. into each half of my ride and then after warm water and warm G2.  I even put ice in on the way back after stopping in at a convienence store.

I know what you mean!  I've just resigned myself to 'enjoying' warm (even hot) Heed.  One reason I love going to the mountains is that my drinks don't become warm on the ride!
2010-08-16 10:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario

Well I'm sad to say that the Mentor group is now closed.  I had a great time reading and sharing with all of you, and good luck for rest of summer races.  Maybe I'll chat with some of you during the winter as I'm sure I'll have more questions as I enter year two as a triathlete.

Michael, you did great job again as a mentor.  You've taught and guided me for two sessions and I learned a lot.   Here is a BIG THANK YOU!

My best to everyone.
Sylvain

Edited by sstucker 2010-08-16 6:36 PM

2010-08-16 8:07 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Hey everyone:

As Sylvain mentioned, the summer mentor groups are 'officially' coming to a close.  As last time, I had a great time, and learned a lot, and I hope you all feel like you got some good support.

This thread will remain available, and I'm more than happy to keep checking it from time to time and to continue answering questions as long as they are being posted, or shouting 'hurrah!' as warranted.

I am on sabbatical this year, and am very focused on finishing a book, so I will probably not check the thread (or other parts of BT) daily, but I'll check it every so often.

Please keep in touch!  Let me know how things are going, and I'll try to do the same. You have all been great and very inspiring.

2010-08-16 8:28 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

I have really enjoyed the group and Michael's willingness to captain the ship. I hope everyone will continue to check in periodically.  I love hearing of everyone's ups and downs as we pursue the sport.  I will continue to check for new posts regularly. If any of you are ever in South Alabama let me know.

Thanks to all for their encouragement and support I sincerely appreciate it.  Talk to you soon.

Randy  

2010-08-16 9:23 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Greetings Everyone,

I have truely enjoyed the last two Mentor Program sessions.  Thank you Michael for your insight, inspiration and knowledge.  You have assisted us all to grow as Triathletes.  I have to say I am better off for having had this experience and shared this space with you all.  I look forward to seeing your responses and submissions throughout the BT Site.  Good luck to you all.

Brian AKA TRIGUYBRI
2010-08-16 10:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Louis

Thanks to everyone, especially Michael for your commitment and knowledge. There were times I felt I was in over my head being in this group, but I truly appreciate the patience and helpfulness shown by all the members . Without this group I doubt I would have obtained the accomplishments (although modest) I have on this journey. I will definitely be checking in from time to time to say hello and see what's going on. Again, my sincere thanks to everyone and happy racing!

StlPhil

2010-08-19 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3047281

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
A late echo of thanks to everyone, especially Michael for all the help and support this year.  Michael, you've got an incredible wealth of information... you should think about tri-coaching in Columbia, even if just part-time.  You've been a great inspiration to all of us for sure.

I'll continue to check back in with everyone on here so long as the board remains open.  Lots of race season still to go, so I'm looking forward to reading all your reports and cheering you on from the sidelines.  I've got 7 weeks until my OLY finale.  Plus I'm still wondering whether Phil will beat me to 200 lbs or not!

Take care, train hard, stay injury free, and most of all, have fun!

Stu

2010-08-20 10:46 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Thank you!

I, too, would like to thank everyone for supporting me through my first multisport season.  It's been a heck of a ride and I'm proud of my accomplishments:

- Though I have a very long way to go, I learned how to swim more than 25 yards without drowning.
- Despite a rocky first race when the local police boat sank in the rough waters, I completed four triathlons.
- I also met my goal of not coming in last in my AG. In fact, in my last race, I broke into the 3rd quartile.
- I lost 20 more pounds and beat my goal of 165 (I'm at 162 now).  It was only a couple of years ago that I was at 230 and climbing...  Now that my season is over, I'm going to take some time off from training and plan to enjoy some (but not many!) treats that I have foregone over the past 9 months - insert Homer Simpson "BEEEEER!" sound track here... :-)

While I am very pleased with my accomplishments, I do have a number of goals for next year:

- Continue to have fun:  After my second race, I transitioned from fear to fun.  I really look forward to race days and seeing the friends I've made.  I love the carnival atmosphere - a big, sweaty carnival to be sure - but a carnival nonetheless!
- Stay injury free: Now that I've been through a full season, I hopeful that I'm better in tune with my body and can avoid any major injuries.  Though, I am still going to avoid the Super HulaHoop game on Wii that put me out of commission for 3 months this year.
- Improved swim form and endurance: The swim leg was my weakest this year.  The primary driver was the lack of pool time I could fit into my schedule.  I'm going to look for a pool closer to home and will try to fit an early morning swim into  my schedule.
- Continued weight loss: Given my BMI, I still have 12 pounds to give before I approach a healthy race weight.
- Improved T1 time:  I still have yet to master the removal of my wetsuit.  I'd like to cut 60 seconds from my 3:30 average.

Finally, I would like to thank all of you who participated in this group.  The motivation and accountability provided by this group was probably the biggest contributor to my success this year.  Good luck with the rest of your seasons and I hope to hear from you next year.

- Mark

2010-08-22 6:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oshawa, Ontario

Hi, for those who are still reading this group I've completed another Sprint today. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=223430

Overall I had a better race then last week.  It rained all night, sort of spraying when I got there.  It rained a bit during the bike but only at beginning.

The swim felt better, probably because I didn't swallow as much water.  My pace for the swim was the same as last week, but I figured out why I've been slow.  I noticed about 3/4 into it that I was not turning my left hip and was not catching at all, it was all arms mostly the right.  I guess catching is not second nature yet, too busy concentrating on the other things like breathing.  Sighting was OK, but still need some work.

The bike was on a hilly course and was 4.5Km more then last week.  My average speed was an 18.1 mph (from my watch)  The road was rough and wet, and because I was getting passed, a lot , I was stuck on the rough stuff.  I will be faster next year.

The run was awesome, my fastest pace yet, for 7km I averaged 7:49.  I won the mental game on this one.  I controlled two cramps before they got worse by breathing with my stomach.  Then the mental battle began.  I tried a trick from an article I read in the Triathlete mag (august issue).  I started repeating a verse of a stupid song, don't know how I pick it, but I didn't even know the words (well maybe two) so I made some up that went with the rythm.  Worked like a charm.  I only got passed once, here I did all the passing   At the end I could feel my thighs getting tight but I just kept going, once I was near the finnish I didn't feel them anymore. 

I couldn't stop smilling during the last 200m.    I can't wait till next year.

later
Sylvain

Edited by sstucker 2010-08-22 7:57 PM
2010-08-22 8:17 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Sylvain-great race. Enjoyed the report.  Exceptional run.  Seems like it always becomes a matter of mental versus physical in the late stages of races.  Lots of good stuff to continue to build on. 

Randy 

2010-08-23 6:45 AM

User image

Expert
On a totally light-hearted subject... my BIL gave me a book called Trizophrenia by Jef Mallett when I was in Michigan... read most of it on the plane coming back home.  Fun little "book" on tris - good humour (don't miss the footnotes), but also some good advice cleverly disguised with silliness.  Even a moment or two of poignancy.   Probably a great gift idea for someone just getting into tris, too.  Not a book for improving your training regiment, just something for the beach or a plane ride.

Stu

P.S.  Congrats Syl - awesome run!
2010-08-27 2:58 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Way to go Sylvain!  (I'm still looking at the group, just not every day any more...)

Randy and I are racing this weekend.  Anyone else?

2010-08-30 6:55 PM
in reply to: #3068118

User image

Expert
Experior - 2010-08-27 3:58 PM Way to go Sylvain!  (I'm still looking at the group, just not every day any more...)

Randy and I are racing this weekend.  Anyone else?

So how did it go, gents? 

I raced to Providence, RI and back over the weekend.  Damn that was a killer.  Transitions were especially tough ;-)
2010-08-31 7:58 AM
in reply to: #3072324

User image

Master
South Alabama

Stu-do you have one starting college?  Is that the tough "transitions" you speak of?

My race was a mixed bag.  Had an absolutely horrible swim. 35 minutes for 1500 meters. That was about 9 minutes slower than Chattanooga.  It was a wave start and there were about 100 in my wave.  Ran into alot of folks and my HR spiked.  Never could get into a rhythm.  I have been swimming plenty (40k yards this month) so it is a mental thing. BUT, AG Nationals will be a wave start and I need to get it together.  Fortunately, there my wave will likely be about 50-60 and we are the second to last wave.  Think I will just let all the speedsters take off and then take it nice and easy-should have more room that way.

Bike was good. 1:08:26 for 40k. Averaged around 21.7mph.  Good pacing and likely would have been a little faster without all of the 90 degree turns on the course. 3/23 in my AG.

Run was 52:29 for 10k. 8/23 in AG. About what I expected given limited run volume due to calf issues. Hopefully, that is behind me and I can gradually build up the mileage over the next few weeks. Would like to be under 50 for the run for the next race.

Overall 2:39:43. 8/23 in AG of 45-49. Dissappointed with overall time. I thought I had a chance to go under 2:30 with a decent swim and definitely under 2:35. Those extra 9-10 minutes on the swim killed me.  Swim course may have been a little long as I was 12/23 in AG and even fastest splits overall were in the 24 minute range. Still, I spent alot of time breast stroking intsead of swimming.  Glad I did it even though it was kind of a last minute decision and I really didn't taper for it.

Randy  

2010-08-31 4:06 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I ended up not racing.  I was up all night with sick kids.  4am rolled around and I still hadn't slept at all.  The kids were finally settled, and hopping into the car to drive 90 minutes to a race I hadn't even signed up for yet had zero chance against the call of the pillow.  I slept.

I did do a nice HIM race rehearsal later in the day.  Here's how it goes:  run 7 miles moderate (z2 working up to z3).  Then bike 40 miles at HIM effort.  Then run 5 miles at z4 (hard!).  It hurts, hurts hurts!  (But in a good way...)

Randy, when you get the swim figured out, let me know 'cause I'm still working on that one too.  Nice race anyway.
2010-09-01 3:40 PM

User image

Expert
Boy Randy, that's an excellent bike leg.  Beats me what to do about the HR spike on the swim, but I really wish it would quit that... oddly enough I have a bigger problem with than in the pool swims than OWS... invariably, my time for 300yds is like 15 seconds slower than my typical warm-up when I'm working out... it makes no sense... almost as bad as your swimming speed/stroke issue :-)

So I *finally* got my clipless pedals today.  Will try them out on Friday.  Came in under budget too.

Yep, Randy, the transition I was referring to was dropping our one and only off at college... nicely called.

Stu
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Experior's Group, Take Two -- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40