BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-06-03 7:49 PM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Expert
Canada
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!
Hey folks,Not avoiding the group.

Feeling a little dizzy/unsteady this week. Nor sure why. Possible viral labrynthitis. Saw fam MD tioday. Gonna chill this weekend.

Used to have 2 labrador retrievers, but passed on now. Family decided it was time for a new dog. Picked up our new great Dane puppy tonite. Spending weekend entertaining her & making sure she does not poop all over the house. Hoping I won't fall down, from dizziness, while doing it.

Good look to all those racing this weekend.

Signed, Weekend couch potato

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-06-03 7:50 PM

2011-06-03 9:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Ok I've got my race tomorrow...water temp somewhere around 61 degrees....brr...I've not been in the lake yet this year so it should be fun. I don't know if anyone will see this at this late hour but I'm all the sudden having concerns about what to wear on the bike..it will only be around 60 degrees outside temp at this time also, so I'm wonder if I should throw on arm warmers for the bike or even just throw on a jacket...it's going to be kind of cold out there! The bike is also a little longer then some sprints at 17 miles. Thoughts anyone!? I really should have been more prepared...
2011-06-03 9:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Good luck to all our men-tees that are racing this weekend. Goals for June: To try and set a Pr at my A race next weekend.Get more swim time in and continue to work on my speed endurance for the run... Also would like to buy a set of aero wheels...

Any suggestions on aero wheels?? Zipps,Mavic, Hed etc...

Hope everyone has a great weekend,training is going to be brutal here due to the excessive heat..

2011-06-03 9:49 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Julta, I'd suggest that arm warmers will likely be suffient, but you might want to have something long sleeved waiting in T1 just in case.

Welcome to the "I thought I'd be more prepared" group. Our membership is massive.

Best of luck with your race.

You're likely more prepared than you think. Are you prepared to have fun? Then yer good to go.

2011-06-04 6:01 AM
in reply to: #3531948

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
julta - 2011-06-03 10:20 PM Ok I've got my race tomorrow...water temp somewhere around 61 degrees....brr...I've not been in the lake yet this year so it should be fun. I don't know if anyone will see this at this late hour but I'm all the sudden having concerns about what to wear on the bike..it will only be around 60 degrees outside temp at this time also, so I'm wonder if I should throw on arm warmers for the bike or even just throw on a jacket...it's going to be kind of cold out there! The bike is also a little longer then some sprints at 17 miles. Thoughts anyone!? I really should have been more prepared...

A jersey "may" be easier to wrestle into when you are wet than arm warmers, but then you are stuck with it through the ride.  I would probably, as suggested, have both in transition and make the decision on the fly. 

60 degree outside temp is on the border for me between long sleeves and no sleeves so I probably wouldn't wear either.  Good luck and have a great race!
2011-06-04 1:36 PM

User image

Toronto-ish
Note to self: when doing a post-repair shakedown 30k ride the day before a race, don't get lost. Lost is far.

2011-06-04 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3532373

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
marvintpa - 2011-06-04 2:36 PM Note to self: when doing a post-repair shakedown 30k ride the day before a race, don't get lost. Lost is far.

Good looking ride, just a lot more than 30K!  I didn't see that you were racing tomorrow, what race are you doing? Sorry I missed it!
2011-06-04 3:07 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Milton, downgraded to a super sprint for first of the year, missed too much training with injuries. Have a sprint in two weeks.

Best of luck to all who are racing this weekend!!

2011-06-04 4:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Sprint tri done.  6th in my age group.  Swim was fine.  (Getting a sleeveless wetsuit soon.)  About 11 mins in the water and  with the run and stripping of the wet suit, came in just over 2 mins/100.  The bike was 21.1 average for 13 miles.  Got caught in bike traffic getting in and out of the park.  But all good.  Run = HOT.   Weather was sunny and in the low 90s by then.  Did 9:40/mile for 3.17 miles.  Transitions were good.  1:24 overall.

Edited by IceManScott 2011-06-04 4:47 PM
2011-06-04 4:45 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Well done ice.

Next stop, podium!!

2011-06-04 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3532483

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
marvintpa - 2011-06-04 4:07 PM

Milton, downgraded to a super sprint for first of the year, missed too much training with injuries. Have a sprint in two weeks.

Best of luck to all who are racing this weekend!!

Good luck tomorrow!  Enjoy it!

2011-06-04 5:35 PM
in reply to: #3532558

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2011-06-04 5:41 PM Sprint tri done.  6th in my age group.  Swim was fine.  (Getting a sleeveless wetsuit soon.)  About 11 mins in the water and  with the run and stripping of the wet suit, came in just over 2 mins/100.  The bike was 21.1 average for 13 miles.  Got caught in bike traffic getting in and out of the park.  But all good.  Run = HOT.   Weather was sunny and in the low 90s by then.  Did 9:40/mile for 3.17 miles.  Transitions were good.  1:24 overall.

Congrats Ice! Nice work!
2011-06-04 5:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
A good day was had here too.. and by the way thanks for all the advice re: what to wear, turned out not to be a problem and didn't end up using either, it helped that the race started 30 minutes late. Not sure of all the details but I felt really good about things. I decided not to use my Garmin at all so I just used my lap watch to time myself and came in right at 2 hours. And because the universe was aligned properly none of the fast 45-49 year olds showed up and I got 1st place...of course I believe there were only about 7 of us in this group. I was pretty happy with my swim although I had a hard time out to the first turn, finally found a rhythm finished the swim in around 19 minutes including my run up the beach. Bike was just over 17 miles and I came in right at 1 hour. and the run somewhere around 34 minutes(including potty stop)...must do something about those transitions..crazy slow. All in all I was very pleased. Although I felt like I gave a really good effort I didn't go out with the intention of racing and think I had a little more to give..at least I hope so, we will see if I can improve on this a little in 2 weeks when I do the same course.
2011-06-04 6:31 PM
in reply to: #3532558

User image

Veteran
Georgia

IceManScott - 2011-06-04 5:41 PM Sprint tri done.  6th in my age group.  Swim was fine.  (Getting a sleeveless wetsuit soon.)  About 11 mins in the water and  with the run and stripping of the wet suit, came in just over 2 mins/100.  The bike was 21.1 average for 13 miles.  Got caught in bike traffic getting in and out of the park.  But all good.  Run = HOT.   Weather was sunny and in the low 90s by then.  Did 9:40/mile for 3.17 miles.  Transitions were good.  1:24 overall.

Nice job Ice..

2011-06-04 6:32 PM
in reply to: #3532618

User image

Veteran
Georgia

julta - 2011-06-04 6:36 PM A good day was had here too.. and by the way thanks for all the advice re: what to wear, turned out not to be a problem and didn't end up using either, it helped that the race started 30 minutes late. Not sure of all the details but I felt really good about things. I decided not to use my Garmin at all so I just used my lap watch to time myself and came in right at 2 hours. And because the universe was aligned properly none of the fast 45-49 year olds showed up and I got 1st place...of course I believe there were only about 7 of us in this group. I was pretty happy with my swim although I had a hard time out to the first turn, finally found a rhythm finished the swim in around 19 minutes including my run up the beach. Bike was just over 17 miles and I came in right at 1 hour. and the run somewhere around 34 minutes(including potty stop)...must do something about those transitions..crazy slow. All in all I was very pleased. Although I felt like I gave a really good effort I didn't go out with the intention of racing and think I had a little more to give..at least I hope so, we will see if I can improve on this a little in 2 weeks when I do the same course.

Very nice job..Now you have a target to go after..

2011-06-04 6:34 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Metro Brokers TriathlON Friday. (Friday night sprint tri)

I went into this race worrying a bit about the cold water.  Standing in it before the warm up was like standing in ice. My feet and the back of my head really hurt. I was able to swim and "warm-up" so I thought I would be ok. However.....

Swimming in very cold water is not my strength. Nearly quit the race when I couldn't catch my breath after the first bouy. I had tried to tread water, loosen my collar etc but nothing worked. I saw a boat pretty far away and thought "they won't see me".  Fortunatly a short visit with a nice man and a kayak gave me the chance to regroup and finish. (a bit scary).Then my friend was kind enough to snap my helmet strap for me when I couldn't get the thing to work in T1. I must have tried eight times. Maybe my hands were to cold. The swim and struggle in transition cost me third place but my run is what knocked me out of 2nd.  I had the second fastest times in the swim, T1, and bike and was third for T2. However, I always run 3-4 minutes per mile slower then then the top finishers which always lands me in a lower ranking then I would like. This was a small race which is nice but it felt like I was swimming with hundreds of people at the start. Lots of contact.

Overall I am happy with my bike time and ok with my run time. I walked some of the hills(short walks) and still did better then I was doing last year on the run.  So with the swim being what it was and me still fighting some sinus infection or something, I did ok.

2011-06-04 6:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
Yea for a very successful weekend for all!!!

Ice those are some great times! Way to go! What I wouldn't give to get anywhere near 20 mph!

Kathleen you did awesome given the swim issues. I'm not sure I'd have finished it up so way to go! Girl we are going to start doing some serious work on this running thing...and I need to follow you around on the bike and see if I can't get a little faster.
2011-06-04 6:55 PM
in reply to: #3532618

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
julta - 2011-06-04 6:36 PM A good day was had here too.. and by the way thanks for all the advice re: what to wear, turned out not to be a problem and didn't end up using either, it helped that the race started 30 minutes late. Not sure of all the details but I felt really good about things. I decided not to use my Garmin at all so I just used my lap watch to time myself and came in right at 2 hours. And because the universe was aligned properly none of the fast 45-49 year olds showed up and I got 1st place...of course I believe there were only about 7 of us in this group. I was pretty happy with my swim although I had a hard time out to the first turn, finally found a rhythm finished the swim in around 19 minutes including my run up the beach. Bike was just over 17 miles and I came in right at 1 hour. and the run somewhere around 34 minutes(including potty stop)...must do something about those transitions..crazy slow. All in all I was very pleased. Although I felt like I gave a really good effort I didn't go out with the intention of racing and think I had a little more to give..at least I hope so, we will see if I can improve on this a little in 2 weeks when I do the same course.

Great race!  I am glad that everything worked out for you to do well!

Congrats on the first in AG! That is awesome!
2011-06-04 6:57 PM
in reply to: #3532666

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2011-06-04 7:34 PM

Metro Brokers TriathlON Friday. (Friday night sprint tri)

I went into this race worrying a bit about the cold water.  Standing in it before the warm up was like standing in ice. My feet and the back of my head really hurt. I was able to swim and "warm-up" so I thought I would be ok. However.....

Swimming in very cold water is not my strength. Nearly quit the race when I couldn't catch my breath after the first bouy. I had tried to tread water, loosen my collar etc but nothing worked. I saw a boat pretty far away and thought "they won't see me".  Fortunatly a short visit with a nice man and a kayak gave me the chance to regroup and finish. (a bit scary).Then my friend was kind enough to snap my helmet strap for me when I couldn't get the thing to work in T1. I must have tried eight times. Maybe my hands were to cold. The swim and struggle in transition cost me third place but my run is what knocked me out of 2nd.  I had the second fastest times in the swim, T1, and bike and was third for T2. However, I always run 3-4 minutes per mile slower then then the top finishers which always lands me in a lower ranking then I would like. This was a small race which is nice but it felt like I was swimming with hundreds of people at the start. Lots of contact.

Overall I am happy with my bike time and ok with my run time. I walked some of the hills(short walks) and still did better then I was doing last year on the run.  So with the swim being what it was and me still fighting some sinus infection or something, I did ok.

Great job Kathleen!  You will figure out the swim issues and when you do you will win your AG!! Congrats on a great finish!
2011-06-04 7:00 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Our group had a pretty good day and there are still a few of us racing tomorrow. 

Not great prep for my tri tomorrow, but I snuck in a new local 5K this morning and came 2 seconds short of breaking my previous PR and won my AG, with a 7th place overall.  Never won before so that was nice. 

Great job gang!!
2011-06-04 7:06 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Amazing result Ken, well done!!!

How's it feel to win your AG?

2011-06-04 8:15 PM
in reply to: #3532688

User image

Veteran
Georgia

kenj - 2011-06-04 8:00 PM Our group had a pretty good day and there are still a few of us racing tomorrow. 

Not great prep for my tri tomorrow, but I snuck in a new local 5K this morning and came 2 seconds short of breaking my previous PR and won my AG, with a 7th place overall.  Never won before so that was nice. 

Great job gang!!

Great job Ken..Good Luck tomorrow..

2011-06-04 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3532694

User image

Expert
Wow! Lots of great racing already this weekend with more to come tomorrow! Congratulations to all of you that have already raced so well, and good luck and have fun to everybody racing tomorrow.
2011-06-05 1:54 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Not a bad race today.  Had a good bike and run, if I ever learned to swim I would be dangerous! Embarassed

It was a good way to start the season off!

Those of you that raced yesterday, how is the recovery going?
2011-06-05 8:08 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Another AG win Ken?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72